cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,267,953 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
parentswerebears;842287393 said:

Small world.

Word!
Shocky1
Shocky1;842273677 said:

christian terrell (2016) scored 25 pts including a sizzling 5-9 3 pters & 3 assists, 4 steals + 3 blocks as the sacramento dragons (18-3) smoked the burbank "not to be remembered" titans 81-77

terrell has been offered by usc, washington and yesterday, gonzaga

but guess what?

christian has described cal as his "dream school"

sacramento mayor/former nba all star/bears starting pg kevin johnson would agree with that assessment

cal family#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)

what do great (not good) players do when the shots aren't dropping?

they still find a way to will their team to victory

christian terrell despite 1-8 fgs impacted the game with 11 d boards as the sacramento dragons (23-5) fireballed the whitney wildcats 65-61 in the 1st round of the cif playoffs

a soph ranked in the top 50 in the 2016 class describing cal as his "dream school" is not just some lucky azz good fortune for the bears, it's a direct result of the cal bb staff building early & deep relationships with key targeted prospects

this is cal basketball#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842244679 said:

"jordan is a coach's son...he takes criticism...his dad (phil) has probably told him a thing or two that would peel paint of the wall"

-mike montgomery

of course everyone knows that jordan & jonah's mom margie is the key to the remarkable mathews family...

jonah mathews scored 20 pts as the santa monica vikings were kicked to the curb 74-56 by the rancho cucamonga cougars in a season ending cif playoff finale

jonah is ranked as a top 50 player in the 2016 class & a huge cal recruiting priority

cal family#
Shocky1

"u of a's acceptance rate is significantly higher than aaron gordon's free throw percentage...congrats to ua on their win last nite though"

-bryce treggs (son of trigger)

university of arizona acceptance rate=76.9%
aaron gordon's ft percentage=43.1%

tuscon is a dump#

Shocky1

tempe ain't a dump#
Shocky1

asu is a world class party school & a lot of fun until you have to get a job/career

asu=harvard of the desert

Shocky1
Shocky1;842280702 said:

richard midgley from burgess, england was one of the most hard azz & ferociously competitive players to ever wear a california golden bears uniform

midgley set a cal freshmen shooting record by connecting on 44.9% of 3 pters (44-98) including an ice in the veins game winning 3 pter with 3.9 seconds left in overtime to give the bears a 1st round ncca victory over north carolina state 76-74

richard midgley told me "i am married (my wife and i met at cal), living in the east bay and commuting to modesto everyday...i have been coaching/teaching at my old high school modesto christian for the last 4 years (2nd year as head coach)...after graduating from cal in 2006 I played professionally in england for 3 years and then moved back to california"

"my major at cal was social welfare...i was not planning on coaching when i stopped playing but I visited my old high school coach at modesto christian, gary porter, at an open gym just to say hi and as i was there did some skill training stuff with the team...there were a couple of 8th graders at the practice that i thought had some potential and that i would be able to help them so from that session i started doing a couple of practices a week over the summer which then progressed to daily practices when then progressed to me helping coach the team in the season which then progressed to me being hired full time at the school and taking over the program...i couldn't be happier with the way things have gone and i really enjoy trying to influence and motivate high school kids to achieve more in all areas of their lives"

"i consider theo robertson one of my closest friends...he keeps me up to date on everything going on at cal...he has been a great resource for me when i need some coaching ideas or thoughts on how to motivate some of my players...i do not get to as many games as i would like with our high school schedule and cal's schedule but i did get to the cal vs arizona game last week and enjoyed watching the game"

re: ivan rabb who played against modesto christian sat afternoon

"the first thing that comes to my head with ivan is special...he has great length and athleticism and his timing on blocking shots is excellent...he plays without fouling which is rare in high school...he has excellent touch around the basket with both hands and his footwork make him unguardable 1 on 1 on the post"

re: jeff "dr" wu, the shockster's top target for a 2015 cal preferred walk on slot

"jeff wu has an excellent gpa (3.5 or above)...he definitely would be good enough to walk on at cal...he has a few mid major schools showing a lot of interest in him though"

cal basketball coaching tree#
50 yr decision & friendships#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the united kingdom)

congrats to richard midgley being named hc at modesto christian following the retirement annoucement by gary porter who has won an amazing 498 games in 18 yrs in building the crusaders into a california bb powerhouse

richard midgley told me the bears are keeping an eye on but not actively recruiting at this time (needs to improve his shooting) athletic 6'3" 2016 christian ellis

cheers
Shocky1
Shocky1;842287633 said:

asu is a world class party school & a lot of fun until you have to get a job/career

asu=harvard of the desert

this asu statement of facts was disputed & is under an injunctive post protest by the it dept around here

good help is hard to find these days#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842271589 said:

jb is receiving excellent medical treatment but it should be mentioned that his nurse wicked's left arm has some scary azz deal on it, who knows what's up with that...

unbreakable#

nurse wicked is working on jordan mathews all the time including after hours

jordan has not been ruled out for asu

cal medical staff is great (this is not a picture of barry parsons)#

Shocky1

ahmaad rorie scored 15 pts as the lincoln abes (22-4) were voted out of office by the bellevue wolverines 60-55 in the washington state playoffs

ahmaad told me at the washington game in drizzly montlake that he can't wait to join his new teammates at cal's summer bridge this june in berkeley...rorie got to know idrissa diallo a little bit last summer on the aau circuit

sure hope ahmaad doesn't go to the theatre tonite

253#

mikecohen

As crude as that drawing is, it is nevertheless totally mind opening
Shocky1
"i like cal, i like cal a lot...that's really a home school for me because i'm from oakland, i'm from that area...that's a home away from home for me"

-cameron oliver

the 6'7" 205 lb oliver has offers from asu, oregon, oregon state, utep & gonzaga...cameron does not have an actionable offer from cal right now subject to improved grades & test scores

cameron oliver scored 30 pts as the grant pacers (25-5) sprinted by the sacramento dragons (23-6) 93-61 in the playoffs

christian terrell filled up the stat sheet for the dragons with 8 pts along with 5 assists, 4 boards & a block...teammate tre finch scored 15 pts & a rehabbing solomon young provided energy from the bench

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)

Shocky1
hopefully gennifer brandon will join her teammates in the near future perhaps even tonight for hc lindsey gottlieb's pac 12 opener vs oregon at haas...she is arguably the best rebounder in the nation with a relentless tenacity that must be seen to be believed

genn's dad gregory brandon (a 1984 seattle supersonics nba draft pick) was killed in 1997 in a police shootout after he was mistaken for an armed robbery suspect...she remembers the police coming to the door & then her mom valencia telling all the kids that their dad had been shot and killed & "had gone to heaven to live with the angels"

the family was homeless for long periods of time and bounced around dive hotels in la...valencia suffered from alcoholism & eventually lost custody of her 5 children

genn still talks to her mom & loves her more than ever

gennifer & her sister kimberly (who played for the sun devils & graduated from asu) were adopted by andre & michelle chevalier while their 3 brothers were split up from them

the #1 public university in the world is all about diversity & truly amazing individuals fighting truly staggering obstacles in the pursuit of a better life...there is no higher mission for the university of california, berkeley than for brandon to leave cal with a diploma

gennifer brandon is truly unbreakable

if you are in haas tonight, applaud & celebrate the road less traveled taken by gennifer brandon

cal family#

who is the most resilient & mentally unbreakable california golden bear?

that would be gennifer brandon

if you are in the bay area tomorrow, consider sharing in her remarkable journey to cal during the bears sr day vs washington at haas

i have had the good fortune of traveling the world & gennifer brandon might have the most magical & beautiful voice i have ever heard...gennifer's voice is both surprisingly soft & melodic with a special lilt that draws you in & her million volt smile could electrify paris, the city of lights
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Walk+Away+Renee+YouTube&Form=VQFRVP#view=detail&mid=454B3A74AAFA8A090C61454B3A74AAFA8A090C61

HoopDreams
I agree with Shocky. She has such a gentle voice and nature...an almost surreal presence. Thanks for coming to Cal Genn. We will miss you.

Shocky1;842287945 said:

who is the most resilient & mentally unbreakable california golden bear?

that would be gennifer brandon

if you are in the bay area tomorrow, consider sharing in her remarkable journey to cal during the bears sr day vs washington at haas

i have had the good fortune of traveling the world & gennifer brandon might have the most magical & beautiful voice i have ever heard...gennifer's voice is both surprisingly soft & melodic with a special lilt that draws you in & her million volt smile could electrify paris, the city of lights
Shocky1
Shocky1;842274582 said:

chance comanche in an elite 6'11" prospect at the 5 with offers from many of the collegiate powerhouses (athletically not academically)...will this be a pure bb or well rounded student athlete decision?

chance started receiving letters from the cal bb coaching staff while in the 9th grade & monty scouted comanche at one of his hs games during the bear's recent roadtrip to smogsville

chance's mom melissa mcgee was an all american at long beach state & understands the recruiting process and will help her son filter thru the barrage of promises from different bb coaches

s&c guru scott thom could be the x factor in chance's recruitment

following up on chase & his mom's unofficial visit to berkeley for justin cobb's ice in his veins buzzer beating money shot over the then #1 ranked arizona, gregg gottlieb scouted/showed love to chase comanche in la last nite as the view park knights (21-5) jousted the central city value jaguars 97-27 (not a typo)

despite weighing less than 200 lbs, chase's length which allows him to play longer than his height, remarkably quick reactions & shot blocking skills has earned him actionable offers from cal, arizona & numerous other programs

after the arizona victory, melissa mcgee noted that "the academic part went above and beyond...i think the style of play would fit my son well...the academics and the coaching, player development wise, probably spoke the most to me as a parent"

mom matters#
Bobodeluxe
Let the sunshine in...
Shocky1
nurse wicked says k(rooks) suffered a microfracture in his foot during the arizona game while banging inside against zeus yet played thru the pain & is done for this season

cal medical staff is great (this is not a picture of barry parsons)#

unbreakable#
Shocky1
Bobodeluxe;842288190 said:

Let the sunshine in...

it is actually overcast with torrential rains today here in the desert

hopefully sunshine tomorrow...got a fun $ golf game with my buddies manana
Shocky1
Shocky1;842285513 said:

check out la times article re: his 5 3 pters recently in a game & video of siewert's smooth 3 pt form...interesting to note that the la times is listing siewert now at 6'10"
http://www.latimes.com/sports/varsity-times/la-sp-vi-boys-basketball-cathedrals-lucas-siewert-is-from-brazil-and-can-shoot-20140205,0,11976.story#axzz2sbZzy3PX

tmz is also allegedly reporting that lucas & shakira are a brazilian package deal for the lucky college

everybody could hang together after cal victories at the brazil caf on university

idrissa diallo had 7 boards along with 2 blocks & steals along with 5 pts on 2-4 fgs & 1-2 fts and teammate lucas siewert scored 8 pts & 8 boards as the cathedral phantoms (22-4) season vaporized in a 55-45 finale at the opera to the etiwanda eagles led by next yr's usc pg jordan mclaughlin

iddy will graduating from cathedral this spring & arriving along with 2014 monster class teammate ahmaad rorie in berkeley for summer bridge in june...both bears will benefit from s&c guru's scott thom's intense workouts

diallo, like richard solomon before him, will be coached up by gregg gottlieb on interior post moves while rorie will continue to be mentored by travis decuire on all aspects of his development both on & off the court

a special season for coach middlebrooks & his phantoms

whoooops, like the phantom reappearing on the roof of the paris opera house from his home in the persian underworld canal system, cathedral played more 1 game in the consolation bracket of the cif playoffs fri nite...gaston leroux dnp for the phantoms

idrissa diallo scored 13 pts with a perfect 5-5 fgs + 3-4 fts along with 9 boards, an intimidating 5 blocks (iddy will add an important interior d presence next season for the bears) & 2 assists while lucas siewert scored 10 pts on 2-5 3 pters & 13 boards as the cathedral phantoms (22-5) truly closed the curtains 71-59 vs the bishop montgomery knights with travis decuire in the house

td is keeping an eye on 2015 bishop montgomery sharpshooter steven thompson jr, 6'3" 160 lbs with quickness, a high bb iq & a well developed downtown 3 pt game along with excellent academics & numerous national offers

night at the opera#
Shocky1

2015's #1 ranked player ivan rabb scored 32 pts & 16 boards as the bishop odowd dragons dragons (24-4) hijacked the encinal jets 97-64 in the playoffs

ivan rabb=true student athlete
Shocky1

after attending the asu game, it has become apparent that major changes within the cal bb program are necessary

therefore effective immediately i am humbly offering my services to recruit & manage the cal bb dance & cheerleading squads...it will be necessary for vandalus to resign from his law firm to assist in the relentless recruitment of qualified student athletes

the key to success will include:

*****mandatory yoga classes mon, wed & thurs
*****navy seal level intense s&c workouts with scott thom tues & fri
*****6:00 am wed timing & endurance session at the lake merritt rowing club with choreographer stu
*****walking golf rounds carrying our clubs on sat mornings
*****2 hr walks with rescue dogs from the berkeley no kill animal shelter on sun evenings
*****training table meals with all food organically grown...effective immediately blondies & top dog will be banned food groups (except for me)

but it won't be all work & no fun...we will travel to sydney (on my dime) for an annual spring break team building week

my guess is that we will eventually be so successful & internationally well regarded that we will make invited guest appearances at the milan fashion week, the olympics opening ceremonies & the united states presidential inauguration

this would be a tremendous sacrifice on my part but you are either part of the solution or part of the problem, there's nothing else

create greatness#

IT Dept Note: This is NOT going to happen.
Shocky1
oscar frayer

damari milstead

damari milstead (cal offer, td loves this guy) facilitated & distributed along with scoring 11 pts & oscar frayer (needs to work harder in the classroom to firm up a cal offer...oscar, don't be a dumb azz, become a true student athlete & don't ever let just basketball define who you are) scored 16 pts as the moreau catholic mariners (20-6) sailed by the forgettable kennedy titans 73-58

damari is a freshman & oscar is a sophomore and both are considered national top 50 players in their classes

when i was a freshman i asked the prettiest girl at my hs if she wanted to go steady with me...she tells me she is flattered by my interest, that she already has a boyfriend & that she hopes we will still continue to talk all the time & that i make her laugh...basically she tells me no, epic failure

so that afternoon at baseball practice while shagging balls in the outfield i tell my best friend what went down

brusati is shaking his head & tells me "shock, you are seriously the most ****** up dude on earth...she's a senior, we're freshmen...you can't even drive yet...she already has a boyfriend, he's the starting quarterback and he drives a bitchin' camaro...and knowing you, it probably never even occurred to you that she was gonna say no"

right

fast forward 7 yrs & i'm getting ready to graduate from the cal undergraduate haas b-school with phi beta kappa honors & have firm actionable career offers in london, new york city & san francisco...she tracks me down thru my parents & asks me if we could start dating

damari & oscar, don't ever let nobody tell you nothing that you're just a young man, ok?

tower of power#

2017 pg damari milstead scored 22 pts with 10 fgs & 1-2 fts + a 3 pter & 2016 wing oscar frayer scored 18 pts with 6 fgs & 5-6 fts + a 3 pter as the moreau catholic mariners (22-6) navigated by the willits wolverines 76-53 in the playoffs
stu
Shocky1;842288454 said:

therefore effective immediately i am humbly offering my services to recruit & manage the cal bb dance & cheerleading squads.

Quote:

the key to success will include:

*****mandatory yoga classes mon, wed & thurs
*****navy seal level intense s&c workouts with scott thom tues & fri
*****walking golf rounds carrying our clubs on sat mornings
*****2 hr walks with rescue dogs from the berkeley pet shelter on sun evenings
*****training table meals with all food organically grown...effective immediately blondies & top dog will be banned food groups (except for me)

Please don't forget to find them a choreographer.
Shocky1
had lunch today with a nba front office sr executive who commented on his organization's scouting reports for the arizona & asu games

he told me that his scouts reported that richard solomon & justin cobbs exhibited frustrated body language again & that jabari bird walked away from his coaches when they were speaking with him

the nba is a billion dollar biz that misses very little when it comes to player scouting

rich, justin & jb gotta realize that every time they take the court, they are basically going to a job interview

would you show up late to an interview with toilet paper streaming out the back of your pants & tell the receptionist she's got beautiful eyes & a great azz?...of course not

on the other side of the leadership spectrum, aaron gordon plays relentlessly hard regardless of how well or bad the previous play turned out or if his shot is dropping or not...gordon plays nba level lockdown d (no zones allowed in the league to bail out guys who can't play man to man d) & fights/dives for every loose ball & chases down rebounds all over the court...he also huddles up his teammates at the free throw line & puts his arms around them during breaks in the action...aaron gordon is gonna make millions of dollars in the nba, he understands that the nba is a biz that targets coachable players that are willing to listen & improve

if you aren't coachable, there's no future in the nba

$1,000,000+ plus interviews#
Shocky1
stu;842288585 said:

Please don't forget to find them a choreographer.

do you know anything about choreography?

are you a member of cypress point?

stu, if you can answer yes to either of these questions, you're hired
Shockster!

When's your next post on Sam E?

I, do not want to miss it.
stu
Shocky1;842288802 said:

do you know anything about choreography?

Paraphrasing Potter Stewart, I know it when I see it, and the motion involved in this case is not that.

Quote:

are you a member of cypress point?

I'm a member of the Lake Merritt Rowing Club.

Quote:

stu, if you can answer yes to either of these questions, you're hired

Oh well. But for prospects in Berkeley and North Oakland I can recommend looking at Chinyakare, Diamano Coura, and Ka Ua Tuahine.
Shocky1
1947;842288810 said:

Shockster!

When's your next post on Sam E?

I, do not want to miss it.

i promise to continue keeping you updated on sam e & you let me know when's the next bingo nite, ok?....fun times in the alleyway during bingo nites for sure

thank you, thank you very much

Intermezzo
GRRAAH;842285718 said:

When are we going to move this long ago comic thread?

It goes quicker once you put shocky on your ignore list. Hardly anything to read in it anymore and much less wasted bandwidth.
Shocky1
stu;842288827 said:

Paraphrasing Potter Stewart, I know it when I see it, and the motion involved in this case is not that.

I'm a member of the Lake Merritt Rowing Club.

Oh well. But for prospects in Berkeley and North Oakland I can recommend looking at Chinyakare, Diamano Coura, and Ka Ua Tuahine.

as the lake merritt rowing club is only 20 minutes (at 5:45 am) from the cal campus, you are hired stu...the original post has been revised to reflect your weekly contribution to the cause

thank you
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842288861 said:

thank you

Is that Mayor Jean Quan in the back?
OdontoBear66
Shocky1;842288861 said:

as the lake merritt rowing club is only 20 minutes (at 5:45 am) from the cal campus, you are hired stu...the original post has been revised to reflect your weekly contribution to the cause

thank you

Having spent a lot of time down at the Estuary in my days at Cal, the last picture sure begs some questions shockster:

Is that boat considered a four or an eight?

Are you interviewing for "cox" position?

And then there is something about "catching crabs". Great sport Crew!
Next Tuesday.

Now get cracking on our fab recruit, Sam E.
Shocky1
richard solomon leads the pac 12 in rebounding at 9.8 rpg & is 6th in shooting fg % at 54.1%

those are serious bb #s

solo has built up his body & improved his skills to the pt where he is on the radar of the nba

rich is on track to graduate hopefully this spring at the #1 ranked public university in the world while balancing his bb obligations

richard solomon=cal student athlete

Shocky1
ja, jakob poeltl (class of 2014) from austria will be officially visiting cal midweek for the stanford game

poeltl is 212 cms (7') & is 18 yrs old (11-15-95 dob in vienna) and plays for arkadia...this season in 15 games he is averaging 12.1 ppg with a high of 28 pts vs furstenfeld along with 7.5 rpg & 2.1 bpg

the true 5 is a highly efficient shooter with a soft touch & good shot selection as evidenced by his unreal 73.5% fgs...poeltl has made 2 of 4 3 pters & shoots a respectable 68.4% on fts

kudos to johnny montgomery for scouting poeltl who also has interest several schools nationally including pac 12 rivals arizona, utah & oregon...never underestimate the attraction of oregon's internationally well regarded truck stop mgmt program (and outplacement as a shift supervisor at the medford all nite truck stop)

jakob's development would be hastened by working with cal's s&c guru scott thom

the shockster is currently making inquiries with the austrian minister of education to ascertain jakob's gpa...stay tuned

bis bald jakob poeltl

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including austria)

walked 18 & did the hang at the rock

after golf a couple of nba executives told me their opinions of current pac 12 hcs

***great guys-mike, lorenzo, herbie, larry
***good guys-miller, boyle, robinson, bone, dawkins & endfield
***douche bags-dana altman & steve alford

one of the wildcat's largest benefactors (he's got miller & byrne on speed dial) told me that jakob poeltl's official visit to tuscon (the poeltl family went to last night's game vs oregon at mckale) went "good not great," that miller is recruiting 3 euro bigs, and that an arizona offer might be conditional on poeltl redshirting (shades of the kameron rooks recruitment)...the next poeltl's official visit is to utah this weekend

i did not pt out to my mildcat buddy that charming border towns like el paso, tuscon & nogales aren't for everyone

johnny montgomery is doing an excellent job with the 7' 225 lb poeltl's whirlwind recruitment...jm needs to send a thank you email to poeltl's family written in german (the most common language in austria) promising a world class education for their son

jm also needs to send jakob an email reminding him there are some california girlz that wanna meet him

after winning a couple of golf bets thx to a en fuego putter, i gave mr arizona the choice of either paying me immediately my winnings or my forgiving his debt to society & instead using his phone to call sean miller right then to allow me to chat or leave a lengthy message for sean...his response was "that's not gonna happen" & he slid my $245 usd over to me

so i walk to the range with my newfound mint & in the spirit of caddie brotherhood (i will always be a caddie) hand over the $245 to tommy, my sunburned caddie & tell him to go buy some sun screen

in a candy azz soft moment of unwisely seeking appreciation i ask tommy "am i the best ******* loop or what?"

tommy looks me in the eye and tells me "not even close, yoga boy"...apparently parsons (go daddy founder) pays each of his 3 caddies (one down the left side of the fairway, one down the right side of the fairway & one on the bag) $400 every time

so i start whining (i've got a little bit of solo in me) like a little girl & tell tommy "dude, that's not even fair, parsons is a billionaire, i'm a former caddie"

tommy just shakes his head & says "not my problem" while he pockets the $...conversation over, get lost yoga boy

gotta love tommy

arizona was disappointed that their #1 priority for a big jakob poeltl did not commit during his official visit

so the wildcats are moving forward with another european & their #2 priority dusan ristic, a serbian 6'11" 235 lbs 5...ristic has extremely long arms, is a good passer & can finish with both hands...on the downside, he is less athletic & not as skilled a shooter as poeltl

risitic, who apparently loved his official visit to tuscon last weekend & has not officially visited any other schools, will be announcing his collegiate decision on march 8th...unless sean miller & the wildcat staff can convince poeltl to become a wildcat by then, arizona will accept ristic's likely commitment

if this materializes on march 8th, jakob poeltl will then be a cal vs utah battle
First Page Last Page
Page 68 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.