cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,284,654 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tequila4kapp;842304536 said:

Just think how much worse the team and transfers would be if their HC wasn't AA and able to relate to the players...

1-2 practices (or weeks, whichever comes first) and the aura of that meet-n-greet with the prez has disipated
I try to remember that the shockster, (the name that I coined on him) is a Bear.

For me, that is all I give him cuz I am not on board with his constant personal proclamations.

Go Bears ...............Get better.
Shocky1
BeggarEd;842304679 said:

Glad to see you are a dedicated Chance the rapper fan, and not just a dumbazz "radio fan" who just downloads a few MP3s and never sees him live. I just got back from 4 days in Tahoe so I'll be working late tonight to get caught up.

No Warfield tonight for me. Watch your step outside the venue tonight as I walk by there every morning on the way to work, and those piles of poop on the sidewalk ain't from dogs.

#differentstrokesfordifferentfolks

eddie, do you work at the crazyhorse?
LOUMFSG2
Shocky, please tell me they're not really thinking of hiring Mooney over TD. Please.
Shocky1
if cal wasn't the #1 ranked public university in the world with challenging academics for our student athletes, this is what my recommended coaching staff would look like...all of them would be tremendous recruiters

mooney the mediocre, nancy drew, mack the truck, shaka smart, chaka kahn, mark few, mark more, the miller bros, the marshall plan & kickin' josh pasternack have all built their reps by recuiting dumb azz 2.5 gpa ballers & winning games

the last half a century of cal bb has proven that recruiting/retaining low gpa players will not be a successful strategy in berkeley

the skillset for the next bears staff should include:
*****high character individuals with proven track records of doing things the right way
*****successful recruiters who understand the academic challenges at cal & can relentlessly identify, recruit & retain true student athletes
*****off the charts energy...college bb coaching with its 100+ aau/hs games a yr targeting recruits is best suited to youthful candidates...nobody over 50 with an aarp card is an ideal candidate
*****style of play...bears need to play more up tempo to attract elite players & sell tixs
*****charismatic

with this in mind, my recommended cal bb staff includes:
*****travis decuire, head coach-recommended salary of $950,000, td made $172,000 & montgomery made $1,920,000 in 2012
*****ken bone or justin labagh, associate head coach (blaine taylor is not a good cal fit)-recommended salary of $200,000
*****gregg gottlieb-recommended salary of $175,000, made $166,000 in 2012
*****theo robertson, assistant coach-recommended salary of $135,000
*****john montgomery, director of bb operations-recommended salary of $130,000, made $127,000 in 2012
*****scott thom, s&c (spends more time with the players than the coaches because of ncca regs), recommended salary of $85,000, made an under market value $60,000 in 2012

let's roll#

chris mooney has almost zero west coast hs & aau recruiting relationships, his teams have been a mediocre 54-45 the last 3 seasons & the princetown offense is better suited to a roster of 13 jeff powers than cal's current athletic elite targeted prospects

john wilton is seeking a more "experienced" (white) candidate

sandy barbour is telling some donors that she's now all in with travis but telling other donors at late as last week that she's not sure that td is ready to be cal's next bb hc

nicky d is just working on his twerking
UCBerkGrad
Shocky1;842304996 said:

sandy barbour is telling some donors that she's now all in with travis but telling other donors at late as last week that she's not sure that td is ready to be cal's next bb hc

Is this why they haven't pulled the trigger?
TheSouseFamily
UCBerkGrad;842304997 said:

Is this why they haven't pulled the trigger?

If we don't have an AD that makes these types of decisions, why do we have an AD?
OdontoBear66
thesousefamily;842304998 said:

if we don't have an ad that makes these types of decisions, why do we have an ad?

+1000
socaltownie
I went two days without calling sandy an idiot. I believe my time out can now be officially over. Just sad. My father is rolling over in his grave. If we hire this guy cal is dead to me.
UCBerkGrad
socaltownie;842305001 said:

I went two days without calling sandy an idiot. I believe my time out can now be officially over. Just sad. My father is rolling over in his grave. If we hire this guy cal is dead to me.

Now I REALLY want Sandy to hire TD.
tequila4kapp

Why are you so opposed to hiring TD? I certainly have reservations about hiring anyone without HC experience. Just curious if there's more.
DrDanger
tequila4kapp;842305011 said:

Why are you so opposed to hiring TD? I certainly have reservations about hiring anyone without HC experience. Just curious if there's more.

I believe he is talking about Chris Mooney, not Travis.
UCBerkGrad
DrDanger;842305012 said:

Ah, that makes more sense. If so, then I kinda agree with him.
socaltownie
DrDanger;842305012 said:

Yes if they hire Mooney. We can expect multiple transfers and perhaps a zero and eighteen PAC 12 campaign. You thought football was bad? This will be worse. Much worse.
tsubamoto2001
tequila4kapp;842305011 said:

Having reservations about hiring a guy without HC experience doesn't make sense for Cal. The pool of coaches for this job has not been good. Would you rather hire a guy you know will suck versus a guy who has not had that proven yet, I'll go for the guy that hasn't had the opportunity yet. At least you have hope and there is an upside. Hiring mediocrity or worse is simply stupid. And in relation to this job, TD is set up to have a baseline level of success. He's knowledgeable about the quirks and nuances of running the show at this particular institution. Monty, who knows what he's doing, recommended the guy and put his butt on the line in doing so. There isn't any other logical choice based on the pool of candidates. Just hire TD already.
Bearprof
It does seem that the good and experienced alternatives have not panned out. On that basis I am in for Decuire. Worried, yes. But of the plausible alternatives, he seems to be the best on tap. I wonder whether it is his leadership capabilities that are in question by the administration. Shocky has commented on how soft spoken he is. Do we know of other great coaches who were soft spoken? Leadership abilities are important.
TheSouseFamily
Bearprof;842305025 said:

It does seem that the good and experienced alternatives have not panned out. On that basis I am in for Decuire. Worried, yes. But of the plausible alternatives, he seems to be the best on tap. I wonder whether it is his leadership capabilities that are in question by the administration. Shocky has commented on how soft spoken he is. Do we know of other great coaches who were soft spoken? Leadership abilities are important.

Well, John Wooden was one. Soft-spoken but firm.
Bobodeluxe
"john wilton is seeking a more "experienced" (white) candidate"

No one even commented on this post.
diva1
DrDanger;842305012 said:

What happened to the weekend thought that TD with Ken Bone assisting was happening?
Are we really back to looking to hire a white stiff?
Cal Geek
Bobodeluxe;842305032 said:

Well, is John Wilton really seeking a white candidate?
Or is he really seeking one with more head coaching experience?
I would think it is that latter.

One problem here is that most candidates with head coaching experience are white. But to add (white) in parenthesis may not be at all fair to John Wilton.
socaltownie
Cal Geek;842305037 said:

Well, is John Wilton really seeking a white candidate?
Or is he really seeking one with more head coaching experience?
I would think it is that latter.

One problem here is that most candidates with head coaching experience are white. But to add (white) in parenthesis may not be at all fair to John Wilton.

All I know is that we have (supposedly) interviewed exactly ONE african american candidate....have NO african americans in head coaching jobs in the entire AD.....and have hired exactly ONE AA in a revenue sport in our entire history as an Institution.

If we screw this up Cal is dead to me. F telling my son to go there each and every day.. They will have proved just how small minded and Ivy league myopic and fixated they area. This is not my California.
socaltownie
Bobodeluxe;842305032 said:

Because, sadly, I simply assume it is correct and it doesn't surprise me.
TheSouseFamily
socaltownie;842305045 said:

All I know is that we have (supposedly) interviewed exactly ONE african american candidate....have NO african americans in head coaching jobs in the entire AD.....and have hired exactly ONE AA in a revenue sport in our entire history as an Institution.

If we screw this up Cal is dead to me. F telling my son to go there each and every day.. They will have proved just how small minded and Ivy league myopic and fixated they area. This is not my California.

Call me naive but I really don't think race is even remotely a factor here.
NYCGOBEARS
socaltownie;842305045 said:

Take a deep breath. It's pretty early in the morning for you to go all apoplectic.
bluesaxe

If this happens I stop going to games.
tsubamoto2001
TheSouseFamily;842305047 said:

Call me naive but I really don't think race is even remotely a factor here.

When a candidate like Mooney surfaces, these uppity, privileged clowns are reaching. I'm tired of this sh1t!
NYCGOBEARS
tsubamoto2001;842305067 said:

A part of me feels that if TD was white, he'd have this job locked up already.

Think about the implications of this statement.
tsubamoto2001
NYCGOBEARS;842305068 said:

I'm overreacting a bit, but it's hard not to. This search is becoming a clown show.
socaliganbear
NYCGOBEARS;842305068 said:

Don't try.
seattlebear02
tsubamoto2001;842305067 said:

Uh, sure it isn't. When a candidate like Mooney surfaces, these uppity, privileged clowns are reaching. I'm tired of this sh1t!

A part of me feels that if TD was white, he'd have this job locked up already.

It's like the 3 stooges are trying to find reasons NOT to hire DeCuire. It's bullsh*t.
tsubamoto2001
I certainly hope race is not a factor on any level here, either consciously or subconsciously.

If the "powers that be" go with a guy like Mooney, they better understand that pointed questions will be hurled at them and they better be ready for it. I'm ready to go Public Enemy on them.
socaliganbear
Do people realize Dirks' biggest hire to date is black? One if his few hires I might add.
socaltownie
The latest rumors have:

TD - Out
Turner - Leading
Mooney - OUt
dark Horse coming on strong.....Lavin

;-)
bluesaxe
socaltownie;842305080 said:

The latest rumors have:

TD - Out
Turner - Leading
Mooney - OUt

;-)

Cool. So Travis is in.
tsubamoto2001
socaltownie;842305080 said:

The latest rumors have:

TD - Out
Turner - Leading
Mooney - OUt

;-)

Nuts.
First Page Last Page
Page 81 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.