cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,264,704 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HoopDreams;842307611 said:

Family man

welcome cuanzo, wife roberta, cute daughter addison (who is gonna have 13 new big brothers once the bears bb players meet her) & her big bros chase & joshua
Shocky1
shareef abdur rahim (the 2nd oldest of 12 children from marietta georgia) was a hs all american...during his one season for the bears rahim avg 21.1 ppg, 8.4 rpg & was named pac 10 mvp of the yr, the 1st freshman to ever win that award...shareef had a 3.5 gpa that yr

rahim was the 3rd pick of the 1996 nba draft, played 13 seasons in the league with a career 18.1 ppg average & $100+m in nba contracts

shareef met the girl of his dreams delicia in berkeley & today they fund/manage the futures foundation which provides after school & other support services for at risk youth in atlanta..."dee dee" is also a cal grad & a practicing attorney along with being a mom, entrepreneur & philanthropist

in may of 2012 shareef graduated from cal 16 yrs later with a 3.8 gpa & a degree is sociology...rahim is currently the director of player personnel for the sacramento kings on his quest to becoming a nba general manager

cal is a dream school...check out the interview video with shareef http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/21/former-california-one-and-done-star-shareef-abdur-rahim-graduates-with-degree/

shareef abdur rahim ain't a dumb azz...shareef got the girl, the nba $100+m, the cal degree & a promising future

cal family#
50 yr decision#
TheSouseFamily
Shocky1;842307788 said:

shareef abdur rahim (the 2nd oldest of 12 children from marietta georgia) was a hs all american...during his one season for the bears rahim avg 21.1 ppg, 8.4 rpg & was named pac 10 mvp of the yr, the 1st freshman to ever win that award...shareef had a 3.5 gpa that yr

rahim was the 3rd pick of the 1996 nba draft, played 13 seasons in the league with a career 18.1 ppg average & $100+m in nba contracts

shareef met the girl of his dreams delicia in berkeley & today they fund/manage the futures foundation which provides after school & other support services for at risk youth in atlanta..."dee dee" is also a cal grad & a practicing attorney

in may of 2012 shareef graduated from cal 16 yrs later with a 3.8 gpa & a degree is sociology...rahim is currently pursuing his goal of becoming a nba general manager

cal is a dream school...check out the interview video with shareef http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/21/former-california-one-and-done-star-shareef-abdur-rahim-graduates-with-degree/

50 yr decision#

3.8??? Wow. I didn't know that. I knew he was an impressive guy but a 3.8 at Cal? Very impressive.
Shocky1

former cal commit sami eleraky from aalborg denmark via ccsf has officially signed with the uop tigers

"sami is a center that will bring a defensive presence in the paint and has a tremendous upside on the offensive side of the ball...we are looking forward to watching his development over the next three years"

-uop hc ron verllin

HoopDreams
cal is Monster in other college athletics too...

Shocky1
HoopDreams;842307881 said:

cal is Monster in other college athletics too...

dude can jump between orange cones without a right leg

that's some serious ****
Shocky1
welcome new associate head coach tracy webster & his wife shenetta to the beautiful san francisco bay area

sure hope tracy is gonna lose all the orange pumpkin clothing (other than oct 31st)

tracy, there's a goodwill on telegraph

tracy's #2 priority: build upon your existing relationship with coach middlebrooks & reaffirm idrissa diallo's commitment to cal

what not to wear#
gq#

"congrats to @twebster11 for being on the coaching staff at cal...great coach/friend...i'm sure we're left in good hands"

-former cal pac 12 mvp jerome randle

i dunno, i kinda think that real friends don't let friends wear pumpkin orange outside of halloween
Shocky1
TheSouseFamily;842307814 said:

3.8??? Wow. I didn't know that. I knew he was an impressive guy but a 3.8 at Cal? Very impressive.

shareef ain't a stoopid dumb azz

bares are smart#
CalAlumnus13
Shocky1;842307727 said:

hey 89b, when i joined the meb fund, jay john fed exed me a huge box of cal bb swag including a couple of the t shirts that cuanzo is wearing in the foto above (don't think they are sold anywhere), official team sweatpants & jacket, a coaching staff cal golf shirt, a cal hat (i prefer the nike cal golf cap given to me by coach des with shocky inscribed on the side), etc.

give jj a call on mon, donate a couple $ for the meb fund & tell him what size bb shoes you wear

done deal#

How much do you have to contribute to really be a part of the meb fund?
UCBerkGrad
For those of us (me) not in the know, what is the MEB fund?
Shocky1
my 1st gf at cal (the it dept here refuses to post any fotos of her) who later appeared in the playboy girl's of the pac 10 issue once told me something about life that reasonated with me as one of life's universal truths

she told me "that you are either part of the solution or you are part of the problem, there's nothing in between"

jay john told me that "the meb fund has been in existence for 16 months and through the donations of our donors we have been able to upgrade the program...every dollar donated goes to help a meb student athlete in one way or another...for example, monies from the meb have gone to renovate the gold gym in the rsf so mbb, wbb and vb have a branded facility when the has pavilion floor is unavailable...the meb fund has paid for a feasibility study to upgrade the audio visual experience for our fans, i.e. a center hung scoreboard coming in the 2015-2016 season"

cal bb's brand new dedicated practice facility, the gold gym

"additionally monies have been used for the following upgrades: the player's locker room, video software equipment, new cameras, ipads for all players and staff (to deliver video and academic information), salary bumps for our strength trainer and academic personnel, funding a trip for 50 cal students to the pac 12 tourney in vegas and graphic enhancements in haas pavilion...at some point we will need to renovate our players locker room and lockers also...obviously, the monies are well spent and have directly enhanced the student athlete experience"

benefits include breakfast meetings with monty, preferred tixs to cal home & away games, a bunch of cal swag & another tax deduction

currently there are around 20+ of us supporting the meb...at the #1 public university in the world & the lifetime of opportunities it has created for us, this # show grow to 100+

not everyone is in a position to support the meb but if you can, give jj a call & have a conversation...don't passively wait for others to do the heavy lifting, make a difference

roar a little bit

cal family#

ryan anderson's parents told mike when he took the cal hc job that a major factor in ryan's decision to declare for the nba & not return to cal was the crappy housing situation for their son in berkeley

so mike went to the major bb donors & they purchased a house for all the bb basketball players (except for the freshmen which must live in the dorms for a yr) near haas...our players now have a terrific living situation (ok, would be better if a few raiderettes lived there too but get over it)

to remedy these type of infrastructure problems in the future (which have held cal bb back during the last half a century), mike enlisted jay john to start the meb fund....this fund is never started without the enlightened forward thinking of mr cranky pants

dr danger is right (again), the meb fund can move forward as the martin excellence in basketball fund

jay john called me with a heads up re: the coaching decision prior to the press conference

jj told me he's known cuonzo for yrs & that martin is "a high character guy who does things the right way"

hopefully some of you will consider roaring a little bit louder & joining the meb fund...unsubstantiated rumor is that if intermezzo can win 1st place $ in the upcoming captain fantastic drag queen pageant (and there's nothing wrong with that, were not here to judge), he's gonna join the meb fund too...apparently intermezzo's purplish mascara ran a bit over his face & he wobbled a bit in his 6" jimmy choo cfm pumps in last yr's captain fantastic pageant...good luck to imtermezzo in his endeavors

the university of california, berkeley experience includes an appreciation of free speech, world class academics & hopefully championship bb in the future

the meb fund, the montgomery excellence in basketball fund, will presumably be called the martin excellence in basketball fund in the future
Shocky1
CalAlumnus13;842307897 said:

How much do you have to contribute to really be a part of the meb fund?

give jay john a call at 510-642-0361 & have a conversation with him re: the meb fund

jj has told me he's definitely trying to get more young alums to particpate/create energy for the bb program
ccajon
Polodad;842307232 said:

Hmmmm....

Don't think you are authorized to put that link here.

But as it happened, I saw that thread there and concluded that Shocky wasn't as connected to Miller's posse as Gershon, so he asked a question.

Yogi is a flamer. I don't pay any attention.

What's sad about that place is most of the posters there were banned from BI.
Shocky1
ccajon;842307933 said:

What's sad about that place is most of the posters there were banned from BI.

what's really sad is that your gf is gonna pick me up (again) & drive me from the golf course to the yoga studio while you're at work
CalAlumnus13
Shocky1;842307932 said:

give jay john a call at 510-642-0361 & have a conversation with him re: the meb fund

jj has told me he's definitely trying to get more young alums to particpate/create energy for the bb program

Can you give me a ballpark idea (by PM if you prefer)? If it's minimum five figures to get involved with MEB fund (which I suspect, based on the small number of donors you've mentioned), I don't want to waste JJ's time. Don't want to come off as a stoopid dum azz.

Go Bears!
Shocky1
CalAlumnus13;842307935 said:

Can you give me a ballpark idea (by PM if you prefer)? If it's minimum five figures to get involved with MEB fund (which I suspect, based on the small number of donors you've mentioned), I don't want to waste JJ's time. Don't want to come off as a stoopid dum azz.

Go Bears!

being a stoopid dumb azz has NEVER stopped me from taking action in life

the time is now#
TheSouseFamily
Shocky1;842307939 said:

being a stoopid dumb azz has NEVER stopped me from taking action in life

the time is now#

Shocky, is Coach John gonna stay on with the program? (Apologies if this has already been addressed)
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842246156 said:

it's easy to forget after the first game that we have 5 freshmen on this year's team that six months ago were sitting in their high school history class. We give them one game as a newbie, and then analyze every shot, move, mistake they make as if they were NBA professionals.

but basketball is a game, and these players are here for the love of that game. I really like this photo, because it shows what kinda players they are, and it has nothing to do with whether we make a run for the tournament or not.

proud of the players who are representing Cal basketball and the University

kam, you are gonna be the starting center next season working with doc kravish at the 4

keep grinding with your rehab & give the new coaches an opportunity to build trusting relationships with you

the monster class (and spongebox squarepants) are counting on you

50 yr decision#
Shocky1

sorry jakob, you're now my 3rd favorite austrian

jakob poeltl has signed with utah
Shocky1
TheSouseFamily;842307967 said:

Shocky, is Coach John gonna stay on with the program? (Apologies if this has already been addressed)

jay john told me this afternoon that he will continue to work in his current role as the director of bb development & the meb fund

he also indicated that there is no specific timeline for the hiring of the final assistant coach

jj called me prior to coach martin's introductory press conference to let me know that he's known cuonzo for yrs and that he's a "high character guy who does things the right way"
Shocky1

jakob was a silent commitment to the prior bears staff & was working on the completion of the cal application process

with all due respect to where's waldo, poeltl is no sami eleraky...poeltl is a highly skilled offensive big man who had an offer from arizona & academically is a strong student athlete with zero eligibility issues
bluesaxe
Shocky1;842308162 said:

jakob was a silent commitment to the prior bears staff & was working on the completion of the cal application process

with all due respect to where's waldo, poeltl is no sami eleraky...poeltl is a highly skilled offensive big man who had an offer from arizona & academically is a strong student athlete with zero eligibility issues

Well, it's a shame we lost him but not surprising. He doesn't know the new guys at all.
HoopDreams
Rorie is Monster!

Shocky1
6'7" 185 lb 2015 4 star cameron walker & his dad eric ("my wife and i are big on the education front") will be visiting berkeley for an unofficial visit on june 26th

with an academically focused 4.0 gpa at righetti hs in santa maria, walker is the perfect cal fit as an elite true student athlete & high flying impact player at the 3...cameron is a humble & team oriented player just like the bears last small forward nba draft pick alan crabbe

cameron has already been offered by most of the pac 12 (including ucla & usc) and says "the academics are always the back up plan...if i don't play basketball professionally, i'm always going to fall back on my grades to have a good career"

cuonzo martin has reached out to cameron walker & made it clear to his family that he's a huge recruiting priority for the new staff to scout in person & develop relationships

with ricky kreklow graduating after next season & jabari bird's nba skill set best suited to the 2, the bears need to close on a blue chip wing for 2015

stephen domingo (3.4 gpa at saint ignatius, recruited by harvard, top 30 hs talent who passed up his sr yr of hs to go to georgetown) was an identified transfer candidate by the prior staff but he will transfer to stanford...domingo's commitment to stanford (will need to sit out next season with then 2 yrs of eligibility remaining) will likely made palo alto a less likely destination for walker

check out this redunkulous block

Shocky1

cuonzo martin wil be flying today to la to visit with idrissa diallo & his hc/mentor william middlebrooks to hopefully reaffirm iddy's commitment to the california golden bears

idrissa diallo is a blue chipper with significant interest from numerous national powers including georgetown with a strong academic profile

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including senegal)
socaltownie
Shocky1;842308208 said:

cuonzo martin wil be flying today to la to visit with idrissa diallo & his hc/mentor william middlebrooks to hopefully reaffirm iddy's commitment to the california golden bears

idrissa diallo is a blue chipper with significant interest from numerous national powers including georgetown with a strong academic profile

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including senegal)

Welcome to Socal Zo. Just another day in paradise. Sadly the southern swell is a little flat but it is supposed to pick up by sunset.

#surfingmakesyouhappy
#wetsuitsurfingsucks
Shocky1
alex illikainen of grand rapids minnesota (not michigan) is a fiercely competitive (sound familiar?) 6'9" 210 lbs 2015 big man with a 3.5 gpa...alex is aware of cal's reputation as the #1 public university in the world

gregg gottlieb offered illikainen this july to go along with his more than dozen offers including midwest powers indiana, minnesota, creighton & nebraska

alex has 3 ice hockey playing sisters with 2 playing collegiately at dartmouth & providence so there's a family track record of going away for better academic opportunities

the key in the bears recruitment will the coordination of a visit for the illikainen's family to the san francisco bay area for the arizona game

and maybe meet alex's older brother, david kravish...

deja vu all over again=bear territory

cal family#
california dreamin'#

alex recently became the grand rapids thunderhawks leading scorer in school history during a 71-62 freezeout of the detroit lakes lakers

alex has described his official visit to cal during the bears buzzer beating victory over the #1 ranked arizona wildcats as "i don't think it can get much better than that" & the haas atmosphere as "electrifying"

dad darin noted that the cal coaches are sincere & that the bears student athletes they met are all high character along with cal's world class academic opportunities

did i mention that alex has got game?

coach martin is gonna hopefully visit alex in the near futurue as illikainen's intent in taking his early (jr yr) official visit to cal for the justin "ice in his veins" cobbs upset of then #1 arizona was to facilitate an early college decision & commitment
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842180325 said:

digitally remastered with age enhancement foto of cal's monster class in 2064

remember the titans#
HoopDreams
good vibes...

Shocky1
HoopDreams;842206557 said:

happy birthday, roger
south bender
Happy Birthday!

Go Bears!
Shocky1
christian terrell has been offered by usc, washington and gonzaga with cal & ucla also recruiting him hard

but guess what?

christian has described cal as his "dream school"

sacramento mayor/former nba all star/bears starting pg kevin johnson would agree with that assessment

cal family#

http://midmajorhoopsreport.com/2014/03/14/players-corner-64-guard-christian-terrell-sacramento-hs-2016ca/...recent profile of ct

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)

a soph ranked in the top 50 in the 2016 class describing cal as his "dream school" is not just some lucky azz good fortune for the bears, it's a direct result of the cal bb staff building early & deep relationships with key targeted prospects

this is cal basketball#

coach martin & staff will hopefully stay tight with the sacramento hs 2016 trio of christian terrell, arguably the most physical/best defender in nor cal solomon young & 3 pt sharpshooter tre finch

i dunno, maybe visit with former cal all american/nba all star/sacramento mayor kevin johnson who is a former sacrmaneto hs grad who still returns to berkeley for a game or two when his schedule permits

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)
Shocky1

talks will continue & new relationships need to be built

diallo has not scheduled any official visits at this pt

a key factor in the native of senegal's recruitment is iddy's often stated preference for a warm weather college location: d.c., boston, boulder & eugene ain't exactly hotspots

signficiant pt is available at cal for iddy at the 4 with david kravish graduating after next season...the bears could also slide dk to the 5 (to spell kameron rooks) & then play both diallo & kravish at times

out of africa#
Shocky1

colin slater is a lightning quick 5'10" 150 lbs from clovis that is ranked in the top 50 for the 2016 class...he is considered the top on ball defender on the west coast with his jorge like non stop motor

slater is a strong student with a 3.3 gpa & his strong religious beliefs resulted in him transferring from the much larger clovis north hs (where as a freshman he avg 17 ppg w/46% on 3 pters & 7 apg) to the d5 immanuel hs for his soph yr

td identified colin early & slater made his 1st unofficial college visit to cal for the northwestern fb game last fall along with chimezie metu...they toured the campus, scrimmaged with the bears (staff was buzzing about slater's work on jerome "around the world" randle) & i saw them sit down in the esp section during the game & then leave with decuire & gottlieb after the 1st quarter

colin later said "it was a lot of fun...i enjoyed the coaching staff...they showed me the whole campus...it was pretty impressive...there's nothing like cal, i'll tell you that much"

colin slater is a perfect fit for coach martin's bad azz defensive mentality
Shocky1
sammy is considered a gym rat, he's gonna be fine

he's not trying to get into the music biz, steal anybody's laptop, smoke dope, take shortcuts academically, run for an asuc office, move back to china, go half azz during scott thom's workouts, find a program that will let him jack up 15 off balance 3 pters a game, etc.

dude is a bb player, just leave him some gym keys for his nighttime workouts...sam singer will not be outworked

the grind#

sam singer considered transferring early in the season when he was receiving no pt

but singer moved beyond that candy azz soft thinking & started grinding even harder & eventually earned more pt behind sr pg justin cobbs

to reach the next level of his game, sam is gonna have to let it fly when he has the open trifecta...sitting behind the bench there were too many to count times when mike & td woudl be yelling for singer to take the open shot

next season there will be times when the bears want to close out games that it will make sense to have both singer & ahmaad rorie on the court as both are sure handed ball handlers with clutch ft skills

sammy, you gotta have heart & believe in yourself, you gotta let it fly when the opportunity arises, your teammates trust you

the tin man didn't have nothing that he didn't already have

gym rat#
First Page Last Page
Page 85 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.