Portal Needs

31,922 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by parentswerebears
smokeyrover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I sat next to a guy and his friend (knew Madsen while attending grad program at furd) at USC game. We spoke about the team and I gave raw assessment of Grant's season to date. Too many turnovers, lacking d/hustle, a tweener who had trouble creating off the bounce. His friend agreed with me on the last point. Said I liked his freshman season, but that it had been hard for him adjusting this year. The guy said that NIL was out of whack with the new players compared to the returners and that Madsen's spacing and use of Fardaws had really impacted Grant's game.

Revealed towards the end of the game that he was Grant's dad.
FWIW.
udaman1
Didn't the university just finish collecting $7 billion? No clue how it works, but maybe spill a little to athletics?
sosheezy
4thGenCal said:

Civil Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

oskidunker said:

parentswerebears said:

I think Madsen has some magic up his sleeve.

Alkaidt

I doubt he wanted all these players to leave.

I disagree.
He wants his players. He had to scramble last year with the portal and got some short term results.
The players leaving are not long term developmental pieces for the ACC.

Alkaidt, I generally like your takes, but the idea that Madson thinks he can replace 7 of his 8 best players in the portal seems absurd. Is there any way he could even get the NIL funds for that?
Alkaidt is correct. The players leaving were bluntly over estimating their "value" in different ways, but mainly their demanded role in next year's team and also the amount of NIL they "deserved" (crazy self evaluations not even in the remote ball park.). Good guys of those departing and certainly not a personal critique etc, However with having experienced a previous losing culture, simply put, practice habits were not to level expected, mental toughness when games swing from leads, heads drop and or "will" gives in. and jealousy naturally surfaces (ie not celebrating with the team in the locker room after a solid win etc because one didn't play as much and or didn't play well. Its nearly impossible to meld a past losing culture/players associated with that, to be seamless with new and also better players.
So the saying "addition by subtraction" will likely play out. Now Newell is a loss - but only if He would be willing to accept a lesser role than He expected. Yes its a tall order to bring in 8-9 new players, (especially with limited NIL funds) but Madsen and staff are working tirelessly on all needed fronts (fund raising) portal reach out etc. Having a united locker room and everyone buying into their roles will result in a better roster, with better depth.
If we're chasing 8 spots, we have to expect//hope we'll raise significant NIL for 4-5 of those starter quality spots, and then white knuckle it for the final 3-4 as the portal dust settles and roster depth level players realize what NIL value is (or isn't) there for them, and then may decide a Cal schollie and playing in the ACC against storied teams is worth low/minimal NIL. Thus, seeing the roster filled out will take time and patience.
75bear
I have a feeling this thread will hit 500 posts.
BeachedBear
udaman1 said:

Didn't the university just finish collecting $7 billion? No clue how it works, but maybe spill a little to athletics?
My understanding is that a significant portion of the $7B is going to Athletic facilities. But NONE of that can go to NIL pool. I don't think the University can legally fund NIL.
bipolarbear
BeachedBear said:

udaman1 said:

My understanding is that a significant portion of the $7B is going to Athletic facilities. But NONE of that can go to NIL pool. I don't think the University can legally fund NIL.
Basketball practice court at least?
6956bear
4thGenCal said:

Big C said:

This discussion raises an interesting question -- one that is being raised in corporate America and in society at large:

Perhaps it might be best, when constructing a team, to have the minimum NIL be maybe 1/10 of the maximum (those figures can be adjusted...1/5? 1/20? 1/50?).

Not just for "fairness sake", but also for team chemistry: When 2-3 players in the rotation are making multiples of what a cop or a fire fighter make and 3-4 aren't making enough to where they can have a car or afford to have their family fly in to watch them play twice a year, how is a coach supposed to manage the situation?
Key issue all HC/staff are dealing with. NIL packages become focal points to players (and their families strongly weigh in). While the departing players all have basketball skills, there was a disconnect in one's own value. And crazy self evaluation. Then playing time and wanted role to be focal point of the offense/minutes played etc. - all being demanded. Its best for a new coach who inherits a losing culture (acceptance of losing, not consistent practice habits, me first approaches etc) to clean slate and create true team unity. But the moral side is to give as many as possible, the opportunity to change one's ways/improve etc. End of the day, staff is doing the right thing by being honest and wishing the departing players the best for them in their future. This staff will bring in a roster upgrade - its a ongoing process and not all players that will - have put themselves into the portal yet. But you bring up an ongoing issue that all coaches are now dealing with, regarding players 8-13 as in "what about me"? And the amount raised is limited.
I think the recruiting strategy will be crucial. The reality is you need 8 guys that can play. Very few programs go much deeper than that in games that matter anyway. 4thGenCal points out what about players 8-13. Finding players that value what Cal can offer other than NIL seems to be critical. If you have to provide NIL $$ for all 13 scholarship players that seems like it takes Cal out of competition for the very players they need to have on hand to win.

So some scholarships may go to players that seemingly do not look like players that can advance the program. But they will be crucial to team chemistry, practice and will appreciate what Cal can provide outside NIL. But if you want to win you will need some players that require NIL $$. And who knows a couple of the players outside the rotation may develop and become part of the rotation going forward.

Not sure how to position that in your recruiting pitch, but it seems like you need a few guys that understand their roles and appreciate everything else that Cal can provide. So you can use the NIL $$ to secure the talents of players that have what it takes as a player.
smokeyrover
6956bear said:

4thGenCal said:

Big C said:

This discussion raises an interesting question -- one that is being raised in corporate America and in society at large:

Perhaps it might be best, when constructing a team, to have the minimum NIL be maybe 1/10 of the maximum (those figures can be adjusted...1/5? 1/20? 1/50?).

Not just for "fairness sake", but also for team chemistry: When 2-3 players in the rotation are making multiples of what a cop or a fire fighter make and 3-4 aren't making enough to where they can have a car or afford to have their family fly in to watch them play twice a year, how is a coach supposed to manage the situation?
Key issue all HC/staff are dealing with. NIL packages become focal points to players (and their families strongly weigh in). While the departing players all have basketball skills, there was a disconnect in one's own value. And crazy self evaluation. Then playing time and wanted role to be focal point of the offense/minutes played etc. - all being demanded. Its best for a new coach who inherits a losing culture (acceptance of losing, not consistent practice habits, me first approaches etc) to clean slate and create true team unity. But the moral side is to give as many as possible, the opportunity to change one's ways/improve etc. End of the day, staff is doing the right thing by being honest and wishing the departing players the best for them in their future. This staff will bring in a roster upgrade - its a ongoing process and not all players that will - have put themselves into the portal yet. But you bring up an ongoing issue that all coaches are now dealing with, regarding players 8-13 as in "what about me"? And the amount raised is limited.
I think the recruiting strategy will be crucial. The reality is you need 8 guys that can play. Very few programs go much deeper than that in games that matter anyway. 4thGenCal points out what about players 8-13. Finding players that value what Cal can offer other than NIL seems to be critical. If you have to provide NIL $$ for all 13 scholarship players that seems like it takes Cal out of competition for the very players they need to have on hand to win.

So some scholarships may go to players that seemingly do not look like players that can advance the program. But they will be crucial to team chemistry, practice and will appreciate what Cal can provide outside NIL. But if you want to win you will need some players that require NIL $$. And who knows a couple of the players outside the rotation may develop and become part of the rotation going forward.

Not sure how to position that in your recruiting pitch, but it seems like you need a few guys that understand their roles and appreciate everything else that Cal can provide. So you can use the NIL $$ to secure the talents of players that have what it takes as a player.
Agree. With the amount of open spots, I'm thinking Madsen will look heavily at all sources...JC guys, possibly D2 players (or even D3?), and maybe international for bench roles. Experience and maturity to support heavy rotation players coming from expected mix of D1 transfers, highly rated HS that get out of prior commitment due to coaching change, and maybe late bloomers. Intl could be a source for rotation guys as well.
bearsandgiants
smokeyrover said:

6956bear said:

4thGenCal said:

Big C said:

Agree. With the amount of open spots, I'm thinking Madsen will look heavily at all sources...JC guys, possibly D2 players (or even D3?), and maybe international for bench roles. Experience and maturity to support heavy rotation players coming from expected mix of D1 transfers, highly rated HS that get out of prior commitment due to coaching change, and maybe late bloomers. Intl could be a source for rotation guys as well.
We should do whatever Gonzaga and St. Mary's do. We're a better school, with more NIL funding, and we should be outrecruiting, outcoaching, and outperforming both of these schools, every single year. There is no excuse.
Johnfox
My prediction is Madsen will get 4 Power 5 players (top tier proven talent), 2 mid major players, and 2 JUCO/D2 players. Maybe we find the next Jaylen Wells?
Shocky1
RedlessWardrobe said:

My apologies for not having the inside track or access to the "attitude meter."

I thought Newell was a pretty good player.
newell wuz arguably the worst defender in the pac 12 & offensively wanted to stand in the corner and jack up 3 pointers...and yeah a sense of entitlement & bad attitude on top of that, newell is sure hoping there's gonna be a program out there that shares ur view that he is "a pretty good player"
RedlessWardrobe
Shocky1 said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

My apologies for not having the inside track or access to the "attitude meter."

I thought Newell was a pretty good player.
newell wuz arguably the worst defender in the pac 12 & offensively wanted to stand in the corner and jack up 3 pointers...and yeah a sense of entitlement & bad attitude on top of that, newell is sure hoping there's gonna be a program out there that shares ur view that he is "a pretty good player"
Shocky, I understand where your coming from, I just think that maybe your assessment is a tad bit exaggerated. I just happen to think that Newell had some decent talent, and I gotta think there's quite a few schools out there that will be interested in him. Just hope that at some point we don't regret that he left, thats all.
HKBear97!
bearsandgiants said:

smokeyrover said:

6956bear said:

4thGenCal said:

Big C said:

We should do whatever Gonzaga and St. Mary's do. We're a better school, with more NIL funding, and we should be outrecruiting, outcoaching, and outperforming both of these schools, every single year. There is no excuse.

And yet they've been more successful than Cal in MBB for years and years and I bet that won't change anytime soon.

Lots of posters on her downplaying all these player transfers and some like Shocky in his typical ahat fashion is trashing on student athletes again (completely classless). People can spin this however they want but the program is in a bad place and Madsen so far looks like a bad hire. Of course, he now has time to prove me wrong because Cal signed him up for the long term. Which shows why places like Gonzaga and St. Mary's are doing better.
oskidunker
HKBear97! said:

bearsandgiants said:

smokeyrover said:

6956bear said:

4thGenCal said:

Big C said:

And yet they've been more successful than Cal in MBB for years and years and I bet that won't change anytime soon.

Lots of posters on her downplaying all these player transfers and some like Shocky in his typical ahat fashion is trashing on student athletes again (completely classless). People can spin this however they want but the program is in a bad place and Madsen so far looks like a bad hire. Of course, he now has time to prove me wrong because Cal signed him up for the long term. Which shows why places like Gonzaga and St. Mary's are doing better.

Madsen got the best players he could. While I supported them, I was not happy with mosts performances. Cone took difficult shots and rarely made them, Daws could not play defense and no reserve ever made a difference. I never bought Madsens winning the conference statement but I guess he had to be positive..
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
Some people speculated that NIL would impact the locker room while others argued it wouldn't .

I think we got our answer and I'm not surprised.

I was/am a Newell fan. He went from starter to sixth man and seemed like some of his issues were confidence which impacts lots of players sometimes during their career. He also grew an inch and needs to gain some muscle as he came to Cal as more of a long SF but his future looks to be a stretch 4. I think plenty of teams will want him and expect him to improve and have a good career (remember he is only a soph)

I saw Grant practicing in the RSF on Thursday so I went up to him, told him he had some big games and wished him luck

smokeyrover said:

I sat next to a guy and his friend (knew Madsen while attending grad program at furd) at USC game. We spoke about the team and I gave raw assessment of Grant's season to date. Too many turnovers, lacking d/hustle, a tweener who had trouble creating off the bounce. His friend agreed with me on the last point. Said I liked his freshman season, but that it had been hard for him adjusting this year. The guy said that NIL was out of whack with the new players compared to the returners and that Madsen's spacing and use of Fardaws had really impacted Grant's game.

Revealed towards the end of the game that he was Grant's dad.
FWIW.

sluggo
HoopDreams said:

Some people speculated that NIL would impact the locker room while others argued it wouldn't .

I think we got our answer and I'm not surprised.

I was/am a Newell fan. He went from starter to sixth man and seemed like some of his issues were confidence which impacts lots of players sometimes during their career. He also grew an inch and needs to gain some muscle as he came to Cal as more of a long SF but his future looks to be a stretch 4. I think plenty of teams will want him and expect him to improve and have a good career (remember he is only a soph)

I saw Grant practicing in the RSF on Thursday so I went up to him, told him he had some big games and wished him luck

I read that Newell did not play for a year because of covid. Then his post-graduate year he was hurt most of the year. That is a lot of development time missing. His biggest problem to me, not that I matter, is that he did not seem to have good basketball instincts. He seemed to always be thinking rather than reacting. He is like the opposite of Tyson. And he drops the ball or travels a lot, even for a tall guy trying to play the perimeter. I think he can play at a higher level.

I have no comment on all the other stuff.
3Cats4CAL
Why do you think Newell was one of the few players who didn't depart when Fox was fired?
oskidunker
3Cats4CAL said:

Why do you think Newell was one of the few players who didn't depart when Fox was fired?

Probably he felt Madsen would play him.
Go Bears!
Johnfox
Any visits that Madsen is setting up with players??
Sebastabear
Quote:

The guy said that NIL was out of whack with the new players compared to the returners . . .
I think we are all learning how to adjust to the new world of NIL. That includes fans, coaches and (most importantly) players. The Cal men's basketball team definitely had some "wallet gazing" this year. A few very vocal player(s) were very, very concerned with what deals everyone else had and continuously stirred the pot in the locker room. This was unfortunate and really unlike anything we've seen on any other team.

Some of that, of course, relates to the large numbers of players brought in through the portal for MBB. But let's be honest. We are talking about a team that won three games last season. A team that set the P5 record for most losses in a single season. The idea that we just needed to tweak around the edges to fix the problems is borderline science-fiction. The team massively needed an infusion of talent and got it.

But one or more of the existing players felt like they should've been receiving equivalent deals to what the new players got. That's just not how this works. We aren't handing out participation trophies and orange slices here.

Also important for everyone to realize that we are just a reflection of the fans' will. We are largely a pass-through entity. We do what our donors ask us to do. Nothing more and nothing less. Which is why we always tell players the minimum that they will receive with the hope that if they generate some more fan interest during the season, because of a spectacular game or series of games, then we will have more folks stepping up and contributing NIL deals for them specifically. That's just the way sports work. Michael Jordan did not get paid because he had an awesome haircut. Michael Jordan got paid because he was incredibly marketable, and his name, image and likeness were worth a lot to Nike. We had at least one player last year whose number got moved up a couple times because we had businesses wanting to hire him specifically. If the team blows up this year and wins 20+ games and gets into the tournament I expect a lot more of those opportunities will surface. We always strive to underpromise and overdeliver for the players.

And so far so good. No one, regardless of injury or lack of playing time who has stayed with the team and not entered the portal, has yet failed to earn their minimum number. Hell Matt Cindric on the football team got injured five minutes into the first game of the season and he still got every penny we had promised him. That's just the way we operate. But it means that we sometimes get outbid by comparison to competitors who promise the stars and the moon and then never deliver. Life is too short. Not going to play that game. And we think that eventually the smarter recruits the ones we actually want here at Cal will figure out that not all collectives are equal and that you need to pay attention to who you're doing business with.

I'm sorry there's so much sturm and drang surrounding NIL at the moment. But some of this is really growing pains. We are all learning how this works.

calumnus
Sebastabear said:

Quote:

The guy said that NIL was out of whack with the new players compared to the returners . . .
I think we are all learning how to adjust to the new world of NIL. That includes fans, coaches and (most importantly) players. The Cal men's basketball team definitely had some "wallet gazing" this year. A few very vocal player(s) were very, very concerned with what deals everyone else had and continuously stirred the pot in the locker room. This was unfortunate and really unlike anything we've seen on any other team.

Some of that, of course, relates to the large numbers of players brought in through the portal for MBB. But let's be honest. We are talking about a team that won three games last season. A team that set the P5 record for most losses in a single season. The idea that we just needed to tweak around the edges to fix the problems is borderline science-fiction. The team massively needed an infusion of talent and got it.

But one or more of the existing players felt like they should've been receiving equivalent deals to what the new players got. That's just not how this works. We aren't handing out participation trophies and orange slices here.

Also important for everyone to realize that we are just a reflection of the fans' will. We are largely a pass-through entity. We do what our donors ask us to do. Nothing more and nothing less. Which is why we always tell players the minimum that they will receive with the hope that if they generate some more fan interest during the season, because of a spectacular game or series of games, then we will have more folks stepping up and contributing NIL deals for them specifically. That's just the way sports work. Michael Jordan did not get paid because he had an awesome haircut. Michael Jordan got paid because he was incredibly marketable, and his name, image and likeness were worth a lot to Nike. We had at least one player last year whose number got moved up a couple times because we had businesses wanting to hire him specifically. If the team blows up this year and wins 20+ games and gets into the tournament I expect a lot more of those opportunities will surface. We always strive to underpromise and overdeliver for the players.

And so far so good. No one, regardless of injury or lack of playing time who has stayed with the team and not entered the portal, has yet failed to earn their minimum number. Hell Matt Cindric on the football team got injured five minutes into the first game of the season and he still got every penny we had promised him. That's just the way we operate. But it means that we sometimes get outbid by comparison to competitors who promise the stars and the moon and then never deliver. Life is too short. Not going to play that game. And we think that eventually the smarter recruits the ones we actually want here at Cal will figure out that not all collectives are equal and that you need to pay attention to who you're doing business with.

I'm sorry there's so much sturm and drang surrounding NIL at the moment. But some of this is really growing pains. We are all learning how this works.

Sebasta, much gratitude for all you are doing for Cal athletes and Cal athletics. Glad we have someone smart and principled in charge of our NIL program.

You are a perfect example of why I'd like to see management of Cal's revenue sports outsourced to an alumni group lead by intelligent, passionate, business savvy people like yourself.
Bobodeluxe
I believe that Jerry Maguire with a smidgen of RuPaul's and the Kardashians is more apt here than sturm und drang.
4thGenCal
calumnus said:

Sebastabear said:

Quote:

Sebasta, much gratitude for all you are doing for Cal athletes and Cal athletics. Glad we have someone smart and principled in charge of our NIL program.

You are a perfect example of why I'd like to see management of Cal's revenue sports outsourced to an alumni group lead by intelligent, passionate, business savvy people like yourself.
Sebasta is simply a smart, loyal, dedicated and passionate Golden Bear! The impact He has made is literally program changing in both of our major sports - kudos and thank you!! The smoke to be dealt with, takes a measured, caring and effective plan and Sebasta brings a needed business and practical approach.
oskidunker
4thGenCal said:

calumnus said:

Sebastabear said:

Quote:

Sebasta is simply a smart, loyal, dedicated and passionate Golden Bear! The impact He has made is literally program changing in both of our major sports - kudos and thank you!! The smoke to be dealt with, takes a measured, caring and effective plan and Sebasta brings a needed business and practical approach.

Would reliance on the portal by most teams make it easier to get better high school,or JC players?
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
NIL and unlimited transfer, plus conference realignment is a lot of disruption all at once

Coaches, players, schools, fans are all trying to figure it out

And leadership is critically important.

Sebasta , Greg and others are providing that. Thank you to them, others and the donors

We all need to help as we can too
philbert
Sebastabear said:

Quote:

Look no further than this guy. He got like 3 national NIL deals from one epic opening round performance.

OdontoBear66
48 teams out. Let the shopping begin
6956bear
OdontoBear66 said:

48 teams out. Let the shopping begin
And an additional 24 from the NIT. So 72 post season teams now done. This week should see a lot of portal activity.
chezzers
Dishon Jackson to Iowa State.
Johnfox
For those of you that have been looking for elite defensive players in the portal, USC's Kobe Johnson and ASU's
Frankie Collins are in the portal
Johnfox
Lee Dort and Tyrin Lawrence from Vandy are also some possible commits to Cal. Cal assistant Adam Mazarei worked with them when he was an assistant at Vandy.
RedlessWardrobe
Johnfox said:

For those of you that have been looking for elite defensive players in the portal, USC's Kobe Johnson and ASU's
Wow. Just my weird perspective but if feels like Frankie has been at ASU forever!
mbBear
Sebastabear said:

Quote:

I feel like every time you post, there is a bit more learned about NIL, especially Cal's....
Not asking you commit to a weekly newsletter or anything, but, at least in my opinion, there is an audience for updates...
Again, thanks for everything you and the other folks are trying to do to help Cal Sports...
HoopDreams
If I were to construct a great team a key component would be a lockdown defender (actually 2)

One would be a rim protector and the other a wing/guard

The rim protector would allow the perimeter defenders to be more aggressive to prevent 3 point shooters and maintain ball pressure. If they get beat than you got a second line of defense to contend with

The wing defender would guard the best player on the other team and be a disruptive force

Think about how much Kennedy defended this year. It's not just about steals and stops on the ball. Defenders like Kennedy makes passers more tentative so they hesitate or throw a saver pass farther out

Johnfox said:

BC Calfan
Looks like we almost had our first commit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.