Shoplifting Bruins!!!????

20,901 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by stu
UrsaMajor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
socaliganbear said:

If this had happened at Cal, would they be kicked off the team? School?
Best guess: UCLA will buy them all new sunglasses so they won't be tempted again...
johtwe1
"A source familiar with the investigation told ESPN's Arash Markazi that the three are accused of stealing from three stores at the high-end fashion center, which includes brands such as Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent and Salvatore Ferragamo in addition to Louis Vuitton."--Daily Mail

Trump pulls these nimrods out of the fire. Sorry this doesn't fit your "racist Trump" narrative.
bluehenbear
If getting caught red-handed stealing and causing an international incident while representing your school and team isn't cause enough to get kicked off the team...then UC L.A.'s coaching staff all the way up to the AD and chancellor have no morals.
sp4149
PtownBear1 said:

BeachedBear said:

I'm racking my brain trying to think of a use for taller participants in the prison labor program....
Tree trimming
Concertina fence cleaning
StillABear1
The perfect storm....two men, Donald Trump and LaVar Ball, that define the term narcissist, bonding over this "hugely" important international incident
bear2034
Talk about timing, if Trump wasn't there, they'll still be in China. Apparently, Trump said Tuesday he had a long conversation about the three players' status with Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping. Jeez, they deserve to be kicked out of UCLA.

sonofabear51
Yes, they do deserve to be kicked out of ucla and off the BB team and out of school and they absolutely should.. That is my opinion. I welcome other opinions. Of course what will actually happen will be a slap on the wrist, suspended until the PAC 12 schedule starts, and then business as usual. I don't agree. Too much coddling for rich folks.
Start Slowly and taper off
bross
They are officially back in LA

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/benrosssports
calgldnbear
Man ... those kids talk waaaaay too much
sonofabear51
They should be expelled. The fact that trump got them out early is a big present. Disgusting.
If this is any ordinary citizen, we are screwed.
Start Slowly and taper off
calgldnbear
sonofabear51 said:

They should be expelled. The fact that trump got them out early is a big present. Disgusting.
If this is any ordinary citizen, we are screwed.
They will be suspended for the first half of the first half the next Podunk directional A&M school sometime in the next year or so
concordtom
That type of perp-walk video is excellent for our culture.
I was at school the other day in class and 7th grade boys said something about "Big Ballers".
You know how many youngster are aware of this stupid act? Lots.
Seeing Liangelo's contrite face is a good thing for all those little boys.
DON'T STEAL.
calgldnbear
What's the over/under on how long their "indefinite" suspension will last .....????

Smh ... Every time I see stuff happen on a large scale (yes, this is large as it caused international issues), I think how Cal got penalized for some kids using calling cards (maybe there was more and I can't remember)
joe amos yaks
Transfer to uO.
TheSouseFamily
It doesn't sound like it's the direction UCLA is going, but I've got to think it's in their best interest to cut ties completely and try to put this embarrassing episode behind them as much as possible. Every arena UCLA visits is gonna be a troll factory of epic proportion as long as these guys are on the team and the stink will linger for a long time. UCLA doesn't need that. Just rip the band-aid off and move on. Losing Riley and Hill may create some short-term pain but ditching LolAngelo is probably better for UCLA anyway.
TheSouseFamily
calgldnbear said:

What's the over/under on how long their "indefinite" suspension will last .....????

Smh ... Every time I see stuff happen on a large scale (yes, this is large as it caused international issues), I think how Cal got penalized for some kids using calling cards (maybe there was more and I can't remember)

My guess: they're back after the Xmas break and will play a full conference schedule.
superbear99
+1. And pathetic if true.
concordtom
What happened to Cal player Omondi Amoke.
He was suspended indefinitely for violating team rules, though I read at the Boston Market that he stole a laptop(s) and was caught. There was never any news about it, but then he transferred to Fullerton. Was he kicked off the team and that the result? Or did he do that transfer on his own?

What other cases of theft have there been?

I'd reflect on that in considering what UCLA should do.
superbear99
Just reviewed the Bruin fan board. Majority think they should play the Pac 12 season. A few argued for one game because they need the players back.

And a few actually see the gravity of the situation and argued for something much worse.
concordtom
Snippets from LATIMES:
What is UCLA supposed to do with the basketball players who were detained in China?
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-basketball-plaschke-20171114-story.html

"UCLA's next move should be clear.
School authorities should say welcome home, and see you next season."

"They should say nice to have you back, but you are suspended for a year."

"If UCLA officials are looking for precedent here, they don't have to look far. In the summer of 2010, three of UCLA's incoming freshman football players were charged with felony theft after being caught stealing a backpack containing items worth about $1,200.
Paul Richardson, Shaquille Richardson and Josh Shirley were decent kids who did a dumb thing. They were also excellent athletes and top-50-in-the-nation recruits whose loss would eventually cut into the football's team depth.
But they never played a down for the Bruins. All three players were quickly suspended for the season by then-coach Rick Neuheisel. They were not allowed to continue summer school or enroll for the fall quarter. A few days later, all three decided to transfer."

"The players could use their lost season as a redshirt year, or they can go elsewhere like the three football players. It doesn't matter. But if they committed a crime, they cannot suit up, because this is far bigger than the Bruins."

concordtom
Maybe UCLA can ship these 3 off and grab 3 new 2018 freshmen.
They'd take a hit this year, but if they have any inroads...

And then they'd be done with Lavar Ball, which might well be worth it!
calgldnbear
concordtom said:

And then they'd be done with Lavar Ball, which might well be worth it!

Bonus Time !!!!!!
concordtom
This is kinda interesting.
Lists all sorts of crimes (12 of which are theft) by past NCAA student violators, and what the respective school's response was.

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1679&context=sportslaw
UrsaMajor
concordtom said:

He was suspended indefinitely for violating team rules, though I read at the Boston Market that he stole a laptop(s) and was caught. There was never any news about it, but then he transferred to Fullerton. Was he kicked off the team and that the result? Or did he do that transfer on his own?

True story:

I had a long talk with Sandy Barbour shortly after the Amoke incident. When she found out about the laptop theft, she called MM into the office to discuss what should be done. If you recall, it was late in the year and we were pushing for the tournament. Sandy was anticipating a confrontation with Mike, but Montgomery cut her off and said, "Forget about it. He's gone. He'll never play for me again. Period." Amoke left Cal (was probably going to be expelled) and wound up at Fullerton.

If I were Chancellor at UCLA, I'd suspend them for the academic year and make it clear that they needed to re-apply for Fall 2018. Their application would depend on what they did in the interim. Anything less will be a huge stain on UCLA and Alford (not that he gives a ****). Of course, I'm sure none would come back, they'd all probably transfer immediately to Oregon.

If I were Alford, I'd also make it clear to LaVar that LaMelo wasn't getting a scholarship offer either.
bearister
If the Trio gets expelled from FUCLA, Phil Knight will make sure they get into Phil Knight University on humanitarian grounds. You know, the same humanitarian grounds that motivates his payment of 50 cents a week to Southeast Asian women to make dump truck loads of his tennis shoes that retail for $200/pair. Without that 50 cents they wouldn't be making any money at all. St. Phil.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Civil Bear
concordtom said:

Monty Buckley was caught in a backpack stealing ring and was suspended for like half a season under Bozoman.

Man, it must be killing you how easily Trump was able to get these kids home. How long did it take Obama to get that Marine home that took a wrong turn at the Mexico border? Seven Months?

Marine Detained in Mexico
Bobodeluxe
Not a good look

The UnderArmor perp walk.
85Bear
concordtom said:

Character counts. I'm the guy who instructed my daughter to pass an improperly awarded Penalty Kick to the goalie in the tournament championship game, which we later lost in PKs. One of my prouder coaching moments, though some parents just wanted their kid to have the GD trophy.
Beauty of it was, the other coach admired the move so much that when the (inexperienced teen) ref made another terrible PK call in his favor, he passed it back to us, lol.

I salute you, sir. We sure need more stories like this in today's age.
MSaviolives
U of O sidelined Jeremy Masoli an entire season for his laptop stealing shenanigans:

Quote:

On January 25, 2010, Masoli and teammate Garrett Embry were identified as suspects in a theft on the University of Oregon campus.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Masoli#cite_note-11][11][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Masoli#cite_note-12][12][/url] On March 12, 2010, Masoli pleaded guilty to second-degree burglary, receiving 12 months probation.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Masoli#cite_note-13][13][/url] Masoli was then suspended for the entire 2010 season by head coach Chip Kelly.
Wiki article
bearister
socaliganbear said:

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/sep/28/local/me-calslay28
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
socaliganbear
bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/sep/28/local/me-calslay28

?
dbush518
Staff
Does this mean UCLA will lead the Pac-12 in steals?

Courtesy Bob Sarlatte at Big Game lunch Friday
SoFlaBear
Now Trump says he should have left the players in jail after the LaVar Ball comments:

concordtom
SoFlaBear said:

Now Trump says he should have left the players in jail after the LaVar Ball comments:

Oh, this is hilarious.
Thank you.
I love it.

President Trump blasted the father of one of the three UCLA basketball players released after being picked up on shoplifting charges in China and said he should have "left them in jail" after LaVar Ball suggested the president had little to do with helping his son get out of the country.

"Now that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail, LaVar Ball, the father of LiAngelo, is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!" Trump posted on Twitter Sunday.

LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley and Jalen Hill were held at their hotel in the Chinese city of Hangzhou after being arrested for allegedly stealing sunglasses from a Louis Vuitton store.

Trump, who was in China as part of a 12-day trip through five Asia nations, said he personally asked Chinese President Xi Xinping to intervene.

But Ball's father told ESPN that he doubted that Trump played a role in the release last week of the three Bruins.

"Who?" he told ESPN when asked about Trump's involvement. "What was he over there for? Don't tell me nothing. Everybody wants to make it seem like he helped me out."
calgldnbear
Lavar Ball needs to shut his mouth ... What a freaking idiot !!!!! He needs to get a life as well

His 2 minutes of fame have passed ... good bye

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.