Donut boy caught!

25,853 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BeachedBear
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UCBerkGrad said:

Alkiadt said:

UCBerkGrad said:

Crazy to think there was a sizable contingent of Cal fans who wanted him here. Scumbag
Doug Goldman was so pissed Cal didn't hire Joe P. that he boycotted Cal hoops, and gave up his court side seats. Haven't seen Sean Lampley sitting in them even once this year....Goldman had a hissy fit and was adamant that Cal should have hired him
Looking kind of foolish now, but it's his money.

As critical as I have been with the office of the AD, gotta give them credit for holding firm on not hiring JP.

Other decisions? Not so much credit.
I'm not sure that is a fair characterization. Goldman and other donors were concerned about the AD office in general, and these alums threatened to back away from more than just basketball. From everything I can see, Chancellor Christ agreed with assessment made these alums. My understanding is that the concerns expressed by Goldman and other alums regarding basketball were about process, not a specific coach who Goldman may or may not have liked. There is a lot more going on than is public. This Chancellor has made an effort to reach out to donors who support athletics like Doug Goldman and is making decisions to make sports sustainable at Cal. For that to happen, these donors had to take the initiative. Good for them. They don't look foolish from my perspective.
LACalFan
TheSouseFamily said:

Bilas probably wishes he had this one back.

Bilas and co pretending to be shocked now. F'n hilarious. Everyone knows this stuff goes down, especially guys like Bilas.
BearSD
TheSouseFamily said:

Bilas probably wishes he had this one back.

To be fair, Bilas slammed Miller on ESPN this morning and said that Miller should never coach another game.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22564191

TheSouseFamily

USC knows how to play this game. The money goes from agent to handler giving Metu plausible deniability to keep the eligibility in tact.
LACalFan
It's an act. It's not a surprise
PtownBear1
Should have used bitcoin
Alkiadt
wifeisafurd said:

UCBerkGrad said:

Alkiadt said:

UCBerkGrad said:

Crazy to think there was a sizable contingent of Cal fans who wanted him here. Scumbag
Doug Goldman was so pissed Cal didn't hire Joe P. that he boycotted Cal hoops, and gave up his court side seats. Haven't seen Sean Lampley sitting in them even once this year....Goldman had a hissy fit and was adamant that Cal should have hired him

As critical as I have been with the office of the AD, gotta give them credit for holding firm on not hiring JP.

I'm not sure that is a fair characterization. Goldman and other donors were concerned about the AD office in general, and these alums threatened to back away from more than just basketball. From everything I can see, Chancellor Christ agreed with assessment made these alums. My understanding is that the concerns expressed by Goldman and other alums regarding basketball were about process, not a specific coach who Goldman may or may not have liked. There is a lot more going on than is public. This Chancellor has made an effort to reach out to donors who support athletics like Doug Goldman and is making decisions to make sports sustainable at Cal. For that to happen, these donors had to take the initiative. Good for them. They don't look foolish from my perspective.
I'll agree with your assessment about major issues with the "bigger picture" with the AD's office, and am glad that people were using their financial influence on change. I hope more do the same in fact.
But Goldman was in Joe P.'s corner to get the job, no ifs and or buts.
BearGoggles
Alkiadt said:

wifeisafurd said:

UCBerkGrad said:

Alkiadt said:

UCBerkGrad said:

I'll agree with your assessment about major issues with the "bigger picture" with the AD's office, and am glad that people were using their financial influence on change. I hope more do the same in fact.
So what's you're point? Even if Goldman wanted Joe P., if the AD was competent, the AD would have found a way to manage the communications and process in a way that preserved the relationship even if Goldman didn't get his way. And a guy writing BIG checks consistently over a long period of time (including a pending request for $$ for the practice facility) deserves to be treated with respect. So Goldman's alleged "hissy fit" sounds pretty justified, given that other donors were also upset about the process and their treatment.
GoCalBears
ucla next...no way they get so many 5* with Alford as HC...
oskidunker
I hope you are right. Nothing would be sweeter ghan the fuclans going down. Maybe our 5 star big guy recruit will forego a visit there and sign here.
Go Bears!
Alkiadt
BearGoggles said:

Alkiadt said:

wifeisafurd said:

UCBerkGrad said:

Alkiadt said:

UCBerkGrad said:

So what's you're point? Even if Goldman want Joe P., if the AD was competent, he would have found a way to manage the communications and process in a way that preserved the relationship even if Goldman didn't get his way. And a guy writing BIG checks consistently over a long period of time (including a pending request for $$ for the practice facility) deserves to be treated with respect. So Goldman's alleged "hissy fit" sounds pretty justified, given that other donors were also upset about the process and their treatment.
My point was simply that Pasternak was not all that, and would not be the right guy, ever. I agreed about the AD situation, I don't agree with who somebody was pushing for the job. Got it?
socaliganbear
UCBerkGrad
socaliganbear said:

"Um yeah. Listen, Sean, it's just not working out. Gonna go in a different direction. It's nothing you did. We literally have no reason to fire you but we are."
SFCityBear
dmar said:

Per espn

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22559284/sean-miller-arizona-christian-dawkins-discussed-payment-ensure-deandre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation
I never did trust the guy. He has beady eyes.
TheSouseFamily
It may be a minor footnote in the bigger wave of news yesterday stemming from the ASM investigation but one of the players who received money from Christian Dawkins was Stanford's Anthony Brown. That payment of $1,000 was characterized as a loan on the outstanding balances of the ASM spreadsheet released yesterday. It doesn't appear he ever signed with ASM though when he left Furd in 2015.
EricBear
Staff
ducky23
GoCalBears said:

ucla next...no way they get so many 5* with Alford as HC...

The following is for the whole board and not directed at you. But I'd be very very careful casting stones right now cause it's just as easy for UCLA fans to say "there's no way cal gets jaylen brown and Ivan rabb"

I hope we're in the clear, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if.....
ducky23
EricBear said:

As an attorney speaking, I highly doubt this was a "drafting error." That would be beyond utter incompetence.
UCBerkGrad
Has the school made any comments about this yet?
Civil Bear
ducky23 said:

EricBear said:

As an attorney speaking, I highly doubt this was a "drafting error." That would be beyond utter incompetence.
Right, Miller prolly had the stipulation added to his contract as an insurance policy should he get caught cheating. UofA understood and obliged.
TheSouseFamily
From Arizona beat writer...

BearSD
TheSouseFamily said:

From Arizona beat writer...

So their head coach tonight will be who?

Romar, who was the head coach at Washington last year when Fultz reportedly received $10,000?
calgldnbear
Color me completely shocked .... SHOCKED from everything that has happened to Miller and Arizona

NOT !!!!!

Is anyone really surprised by any of this so far ???

I hope Cal doesn't get wrapped up in all of this crap but nothing in collegiate sports should surprise anyone at all. There is just too much money and too much potential for corruption and underhanded dealings almost everywhere
BearSD
calgldnbear said:

Color me completely shocked .... SHOCKED from everything that has happened to Miller and Arizona

NOT !!!!!

I hope Cal doesn't get wrapped up in all of this crap but nothing in collegiate sports should surprise anyone at all. There is just too much money and too much potential for corruption and underhanded dealings almost everywhere
The NBA one-and-done rule has made it much worse, though. Agents and shoe companies are much more motivated to funnel money to an elite recruit when they know that he will sign an NBA contract in less than a year.

You don't give Deandre Ayton $100,000 because you want to see him star at Arizona for 4 years; you give him $100,000 because you know he'll only be at Arizona for 7 months and then he can officially sign with your agency or shoe company. Guys like Sean Miller and Rick Pitino (and probably Coach K, Calipari, Self, Williams, etc., etc.) benefit just by providing a nice 7-month parking spot for these players.

Big C
calgldnbear said:

NOT !!!!!

Apparently, Jay Bilas is surprised. Thirty-five years spent close to college basketball and he had no idea whatsoever...
socaltownie
BearSD said:

calgldnbear said:

NOT !!!!!

The NBA one-and-done rule has made it much worse, though. Agents and shoe companies are much more motivated to funnel money to an elite recruit when they know that he will sign an NBA contract in less than a year.

You don't give Deandre Ayton $100,000 because you want to see him star at Arizona for 4 years; you give him $100,000 because you know he'll only be at Arizona for 7 months and then he can officially sign with your agency or shoe company. Guys like Sean Miller and Rick Pitino (and probably Coach K, Calipari, Self, Williams, etc., etc.) benefit just by providing a nice 7-month parking spot for these players.

AND the ADs. Don't forget the incentives of the ADs! They tolerate this crap because they are richly rewarded and because too many institutions (and whales) put W's before the institutions mission
LACalFan
Jeff Goodman is feeling a little queasy right about now

BearGreg
Staff
Several points to consider:

• Miller is not a rogue bad guy. This is an endemic issue for college basketball. Many more coaches will be brought down before this is over
  • The bigger th programs recruiting profile, the more likely they will be guilty. This is a systemic issue around many of the elite recruits
  • Joe Pasternak is not YET guilty of anything. Read the full article Here. Joe talked to the agent that's it. Every college staff talks to ALL the handlers of a player they are recruiting from Vermont to San Jose State to Cal to Kentucky. And Millers transcript of the call about Ayton makes clear he was the money guy. This is far from over and Joe may be guilty of something bad or nothing more than association with Miller much as Wyking is with Pitino. Let's save our sharp knives until there's something much more definitive
  • I think this is great news for college basketball and Cal in the long run. More on that to come
LACalFan

"FBI - 1 AZ - 0"

MinotStateBeav
Just read this news..came to BI to see reaction...Not disappointed lol.
Another Bear
Does anyone think things will change at the NCAA..or the call to professionalize (pay players) college hoops gets traction? It's systematic and apparently more common than thought before.
ayetee11
Shareef O'Neal is available
LACalFan
ayetee11 said:

Shareef O'Neal is available
Hopefully that has something to do with BearGreg's post above:
Quote:

I think this is great news for college basketball and Cal in the long run. More on that to come

calbear289
ducky23 said:

The following is for the whole board and not directed at you. But I'd be very very careful casting stones right now cause it's just as easy for UCLA fans to say "there's no way cal gets jaylen brown and Ivan rabb"

That's always been in the back of my mind too, but Brown is a very intelligent guy who seemed drawn to Cal's academics.

Even if there was some funny businesss going on, it's not like we have a national championship to vacate.
ayetee11
calbear289 said:

ducky23 said:

That's always been in the back of my mind too, but Brown is a very intelligent guy who seemed drawn to Cal's academics.

Even if there was some funny businesss going on, it's not like we have a national championship to vacate.

I was talking to a friend about the same thing. We beat some programs offering a lot of money and Rabb's mom was apparently hired as a caterer for a football event. So easy to charge or tip a little extra.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.