Donut boy caught!

25,726 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BeachedBear
ColoradoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ayetee11 said:

calbear289 said:

ducky23 said:

The following is for the whole board and not directed at you. But I'd be very very careful casting stones right now cause it's just as easy for UCLA fans to say "there's no way cal gets jaylen brown and Ivan rabb"

I hope we're in the clear, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if.....

That's always been in the back of my mind too, but Brown is a very intelligent guy who seemed drawn to Cal's academics.

Even if there was some funny businesss going on, it's not like we have a national championship to vacate.

I was talking to a friend about the same thing. We beat some programs offering a lot of money and Rabb's mom was apparently hired as a caterer for a football event. So easy to charge or tip a little extra.
Wonder how many $100 sandwiches Shocky bought?
ayetee11
ColoradoBear said:

ayetee11 said:

calbear289 said:

ducky23 said:

The following is for the whole board and not directed at you. But I'd be very very careful casting stones right now cause it's just as easy for UCLA fans to say "there's no way cal gets jaylen brown and Ivan rabb"

That's always been in the back of my mind too, but Brown is a very intelligent guy who seemed drawn to Cal's academics.

Even if there was some funny businesss going on, it's not like we have a national championship to vacate.

I was talking to a friend about the same thing. We beat some programs offering a lot of money and Rabb's mom was apparently hired as a caterer for a football event. So easy to charge or tip a little extra.

He did say he was responsible for landing both Brown and Rabb.
TheSouseFamily
BearGreg said:

Several points to consider:

• Miller is not a rogue bad guy. This is an endemic issue for college basketball. Many more coaches will be brought down before this is over
  • The bigger th programs recruiting profile, the more likely they will be guilty. This is a systemic issue around many of the elite recruits
  • Joe Pasternak is not YET guilty of anything. Read the full article Here. Joe talked to the agent that's it. Every college staff talks to ALL the handlers of a player they are recruiting from Vermont to San Jose State to Cal to Kentucky. And Millers transcript of the call about Ayton makes clear he was the money guy. This is far from over and Joe may be guilty of something bad or nothing more than association with Miller much as Wyking is with Pitino. Let's save our sharp knives until there's something much more definitive
  • I think this is great news for college basketball and Cal in the long run. More on that to come

We'll see. You may very well be right but I'm expecting a much more modest outcome. For one thing, I'd be shocked if we learn that head coaches orchestrating 6 figure payouts for recruits is "endemic" to college basketball. There will surely be evidence of payouts to players and some schools will be involved in those payouts but I suspect that there will be very few examples quite like what we're seeing with Miller and Ayton.

A lot of top schools don't even offer or recruit guys like Ayton (or Bol Bol or Brian Bowen) where there are serious red flags like there was in this instance. Like Bol, Ayton had very few offers for a #3 recruit in the class. Schools like Arizona, Auburn, Oregon, Louisville, maybe Kansas and others) don't care about red flags, but many steer clear of these guys entirely and certainly wouldn't pay them. Not surprisingly, it's these same schools that have already been fingered by the FBI. But pervasive and endemic? I guess we'll see. Will be an interesting ride.
BeachedBear
BearGreg said:

[*
  • Joe Pasternak is not YET guilty of anything. Read the full article Here. Joe talked to the agent that's it. Every college staff talks to ALL the handlers of a player they are recruiting from Vermont to San Jose State to Cal to Kentucky. And Millers transcript of the call about Ayton makes clear he was the money guy. This is far from over and Joe may be guilty of something bad or nothing more than association with Miller much as Wyking is with Pitino. Let's save our sharp knives until there's something much more definitive

Excellent use of YET. I have a hunch that the FBI wiretap transcripts include TWO former UofA assistants discussing money for a recruit with one of the indicted agent/financiers. One of the former assistants was Book Richardson. The other assistant will have some 'splainin to do.
oskidunker
So the post game says Miller will fight it. Fight what? Msybe it was REGGIE Miller on the tape.
Go Bears!
4thGenCal
TheSouseFamily said:

BearGreg said:

• Miller is not a rogue bad guy. This is an endemic issue for college basketball. Many more coaches will be brought down before this is over
  • The bigger th programs recruiting profile, the more likely they will be guilty. This is a systemic issue around many of the elite recruits
  • I think this is great news for college basketball and Cal in the long run. More on that to come

We'll see. You may very well be right but I'm expecting a much more modest outcome. For one thing, I'd be shocked if we learn that head coaches orchestrating 6 figure payouts for recruits is "endemic" to college basketball. There will surely be evidence of payouts to players and some schools will be involved in those payouts but I suspect that there will be very few examples quite like what we're seeing with Miller and Ayton.

A lot of top schools don't even offer or recruit guys like Ayton (or Bol Bol or Brian Bowen) where there are serious red flags like there was in this instance. Like Bol, Ayton had very few offers for a #3 recruit in the class. Schools like Arizona, Auburn, Oregon, Louisville, maybe Kansas and others) don't care about red flags, but many steer clear of these guys entirely and certainly wouldn't pay them. Not surprisingly, it's these same schools that have already been fingered by the FBI. But pervasive and endemic? I guess we'll see. Will be an interesting ride.
Bear Greg is spot on for all points. Very close friend of mine who was the family friend / advisor to Jabari Parker accompanied him on his final 5 college visits (MSU, Duke, Kansas, Florida and actually Stanford - which was merely a favor to Mark Madsen) Only Stanford did not offer money. It is common place for elite players to be offered $50k and much more for committing to schools. Many ways to hide it - including having alums provide high paying jobs for family members etc. This method of paying players thru a variety of avenues has been prevalent for the past 25 years though increasing over the past 10 years.
Joe P is not guilty of anything yet despite several people on the string ready to convict and set an sentence. He has as reported, just talked to an agent. Joe is an good man and extremely hard working coach - He loves Cal and still has Cal in his sights. Possibly more specific info will come out to alter my feelings, but for now I am not making an snap decision on his guilt. BTW UCSB under his leadership is 20-7 currently and in line for the top 5 single season turnarounds in D-1 history.
This will help Cal in the long run, as Wyking is highly ethical, family man and trustworthy - some recruits/families will bond with him and will want to avoid known dirty programs. Our achilles heal is the admission's office, which restricts the program from admitting the 2.5gpa+- student athlete and lack of an practice facility.
BearSD
The lead on the AP writeup of today's U$C-Utah game is amusing. Maybe there will be a similar lead when someone writes up the UA-UO game.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400988380

Quote:

Chimezie Metu, despite being listed in documents produced by the FBI investigation into college basketball corruption, found a respite on the court and shut out the noise.

"When I'm on the court, nothing else matters. I was just out there playing. I wasn't paying attention to anything anybody else was saying," said Metu, who scored 14 points to lead Southern California to a 74-58 win over Utah on Saturday.
ayetee11
4thGenCal said:

TheSouseFamily said:

BearGreg said:

Bear Greg is spot on for all points. Very close friend of mine who was the family friend / advisor to Jabari Parker accompanied him on his final 5 college visits (MSU, Duke, Kansas, Florida and actually Stanford - which was merely a favor to Mark Madsen) Only Stanford did not offer money. It is common place for elite players to be offered $50k and much more for committing to schools. Many ways to hide it - including having alums provide high paying jobs for family members etc. This method of paying players thru a variety of avenues has been prevalent for the past 25 years though increasing over the past 10 years.
Joe P is not guilty of anything yet despite several people on the string ready to convict and set an sentence. He has as reported, just talked to an agent. Joe is an good man and extremely hard working coach - He loves Cal and still has Cal in his sights. Possibly more specific info will come out to alter my feelings, but for now I am not making an snap decision on his guilt. BTW UCSB under his leadership is 20-7 currently and in line for the top 5 single season turnarounds in D-1 history.
This will help Cal in the long run, as Wyking is highly ethical, family man and trustworthy - some recruits/families will bond with him and will want to avoid known dirty programs. Our achilles heal is the admission's office, which restricts the program from admitting the 2.5gpa+- student athlete and lack of an practice facility.

With all due respect, I HOPE Wyking is clean, but when you constantly refer to one of the dirtiest coaches as your mentor I find it hard to believe he's squeaky clean. Every coach at Cal is a man of integrity while on staff. Cuonzo Martin was until he left.
SFCityBear
calbear289 said:

ducky23 said:

"Drawn to Cal's academics"? For just 7 months of classes?
Big C
ColoradoBear said:

ayetee11 said:

calbear289 said:

ducky23 said:

Oh my God, is that why he suddenly disappeared this year? Wyking staying one step ahead of the clutches of trouble? First Pitino, then Shocky?
UrsaMajor
SFCityBear said:

calbear289 said:

ducky23 said:

"Drawn to Cal's academics"? For just 7 months of classes?
He did take 2 graduate level courses, study Spanish, and insist that he's coming back for his degree (as did Shareef, after being here for only 7 months).
BearGreg
Staff
ayetee11 said:

With all due respect, I HOPE Wyking is clean, but when you constantly refer to one of the dirtiest coaches as your mentor I find it hard to believe he's squeaky clean. Every coach at Cal is a man of integrity while on staff. Cuonzo Martin was until he left.
By what measure or based on what facts is Cuonzo Martin dirty at all much less one of the dirtiest?
oskidunker
On the Rizona board they are saying Miller is not guilty. They are reportedly trying to find someone who impersonated his voice. Its a plan by the fbi to wrongly implicate Miller.

Plus no one really took 100 k.
Go Bears!
ayetee11
BearGreg said:

ayetee11 said:

By what measure or based on what facts is Cuonzo Martin dirty at all much less one of the dirtiest?

He has never referred to Martin as his mentor. He's always referred to Patino as his mentor who taught him so much. My comment on Martin was separate from my first comment. More an example how people always say Cal coaches are men of integrity until they leave.
TheSouseFamily
4thGenCal - Your faith and confidence in the ethics and morality of Joe Pasternack is noted. The published Dawkins emails suggests he did far more than just "talk to an agent" but we'll see how it plays out.

I would certainly agree that there's a large gray area with, among other things, alums offering family members jobs, but that wasn't what the exchange was about. And the current inquiries won't do much, if anything, to shine light on that. The exchange was about a head coach directly orchestrating a 6-figure payment to a recruit via an agent and the suggestion that this was endemic to college basketball which comprises 350+ programs. If there's even one more example of the Miller/Ayton/ASM situation, I'll gladly come back with egg of my face and acknowledge it. It requires an unscrupulous coach, an unscrupulous player (who is actually worth investing 6 figures in) and an unscrupulous agent. That limits things to a small handful of players and a small handful of programs. Not exactly what I would call endemic.

If you're expecting to see evidence of Jay Wright or Larry Krystowiak or Roy Williams or John Beilein on the phone with agents working through a payment scheme for a player, I think you're gonna be very disappointed. And while I respect your proximity to the Jabari Parker situation (one that I followed carefully as someone with proximity to the Duke program), I find the notion that Mike Krzyzewski "offered money" to Parker on his recruiting visit totally preposterous.
ayetee11
TheSouseFamily said:

4thGenCal - Your faith and confidence in the ethics and morality of Joe Pasternack is noted. The published Dawkins emails suggests he did far more than just "talk to an agent" but we'll see how it plays out.

I would certainly agree that there's a large gray area with, among other things, alums offering family members jobs, but that wasn't what the exchange was about. And the current inquiries won't do much, if anything, to shine light on that. The exchange was about a head coach directly orchestrating a 6-figure payment to a recruit via an agent and the suggestion that this was endemic to college basketball which comprises 350+ programs. If there's even one more example of the Miller/Ayton/ASM situation, I'll gladly come back with egg of my face and acknowledge it. It requires an unscrupulous coach, an unscrupulous player (who is actually worth investing 6 figures in) and an unscrupulous agent. That limits things to a small handful of players and a small handful of programs. Not exactly what I would call endemic.

If you're expecting to see evidence of Jay Wright or Larry Krystowiak or Roy Williams or John Beilein on the phone with agents working through a payment scheme for a player, I think you're gonna be very disappointed. And while I respect your proximity to the Jabari Parker situation (one that I followed carefully as someone with proximity to the Duke program), I find the notion that Mike Krzyzewski "offered money" to Parker on his recruiting visit totally preposterous.

Duke offered gifts to Powe's mentor.
SRBear
He must have talked to OJ
grrrah76
This whole scandal is a ploy by the Russians to cause disruption in college basketball. Fake news.
4thGenCal
TheSouseFamily said:

Head coaches do orchestrate payouts and its far more common than the general public is aware of. My knowledge is based on direct conversations with the people whose roles you described. Arizona, Kansas, Florida have been consistent in their "recruiting tactics" for quite awhile - its fairly widely known within the coaching fraternity. Correct,Coach K did not offer any money to J Parker during the recruiting process, however the Mom who was unemployed and had a very limited educational background ended up with a very nice paying office administrative job, provided thru Alumni connections. Duke does allow one scholarship admit each recruiting season for those who do not meet the baseline academic requirements of the school. May not seem like much, but that can add up to minimum 3 players on the roster who would not have qualified otherwise (separate topic than this one though). Totally agree there are solid coaches (the one's you mentioned plus more) that toe the line and follow the rules, however to not believe that Oregon, SC, Arizona.ASU do not skirt the rules/provide payment to players/families is simply not accurate.
BearSD
oskidunker said:

On the Rizona board they are saying Miller is not guilty. They are reportedly trying to find someone who impersonated his voice. Its a plan by the fbi to wrongly implicate Miller.

Plus no one really took 100 k.
Impersonated his voice. LOL. They're probably also saying that someone else peed in Trier's drug test cup.
PtownBear1
What kind of an asinine contract provides a payout if you're terminated for cause, let alone a higher payout than if you were terminated otherwise. Their lawyers must be AZ alums.
socaliganbear
PtownBear1 said:

What kind of an asinine contract provides a payout if you're terminated for cause, let alone a higher payout than if you were terminated otherwise. Their lawyers must be AZ alums.

The kind of contract meant to protect a coach with high risk activities.
Big Dog
don't blame the 'contract', but the President & Regents at the University who approved it.
tequila4kapp
I sincerely hope Cal isn't involved at all. Because if there's anything we know about the NCAA it's that name schools get slaps on the wrist and the rest of the schools are the whipping boys for the NCAA to prove that it cares about the integrity of the student athlete model. If we are involved at all we are going to get hammered while Zona, Duke, MSU and the rest laugh all the way to the bank to pay off the runners.
bearister
tequila4kapp said:

I sincerely hope Cal isn't involved at all. Because if there's anything we know about the NCAA it's that name schools get slaps on the wrist and the rest of the schools are the whipping boys for the NCAA to prove that it cares about the integrity of the student athlete model. If we are involved at all we are going to get hammered while Zona, Duke, MSU and the rest laugh all the way to the bank to pay off the runners.

After Bozeman paid $30K for a PG that couldn't dribble the ball lower than his chin level, Cal decided bribery wasn't our strong suit and pulled the plug on that strategy permanently.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ayetee11
Big Dog said:

don't blame the 'contract', but the President & Regents at the University who approved it.

The contract tells me that the school knew and approved what was being done in order to win games. I would guess it went something like this...

"We want you to do whatever it takes, break the rules, you probably won't be able to land a job if you get caught so we'll give you a favorable buyout if we have to fire you with cause."
wifeisafurd
4thGenCal said:

TheSouseFamily said:

BearGreg said:

I can see why Monty wanted out. Yuck. Duke has to pay players? Why bother having collegiate basketball. Just turn it into a semi-pro league. .
bearister
ayetee11 said:

Big Dog said:

The contract tells me that the school knew and approved what was being done in order to win games. I would guess it went something like this...

"We want you to do whatever it takes, break the rules, you probably won't be able to land a job if you get caught so we'll give you a favorable buyout if we have to fire you with cause."

Like The Riders when they were told to clean up Oakland.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
tequila4kapp
ayetee11 said:

Big Dog said:

You are exactly right. That contract is the institutional sign off on the whole thing. We need a real minor league system for hoops and kids need to be able to go from HS to the league.
Another Bear
If enough top 25 teams go down due to this or more get caught, maybe we'll get a real legit minor league for hoops.

Personally I think the NBA would be wise to institute a "junior" system like European hoops or futbol..but they'll never do it. Too use to the NCAA providing the services for free.
ayetee11
tequila4kapp said:

ayetee11 said:

Big Dog said:

You are exactly right. That contract is the institutional sign off on the whole thing. We need a real minor league system for hoops and kids need to be able to go from HS to the league.

I don't think the NBA is going to want to spend big money on a minor league system when they get a free one with College Basketball. College's won't do it because there is no benefit to them. They won't get the TV contracts and will families give up scholarships to have their kids play in a minor league separate from the G League. 1 and dones will only want to stay one year before entering the draft.
UrsaMajor
ayetee11 said:

Big Dog said:

Exactly, Ayetee. No way there's a contract remotely like this unless they knew what they were likely on the hook for.

Reminds me of a psychiatrist I knew who provided expert testimony to attorneys. He made it clear that he would say whatever they needed for their case, regardless of the data. He did, however, require the following in his retainer agreement: the law firm would agree to defend him against any malpractice action and pay any judgments rendered against him (last I heard, he had 5 and counting).
BeachedBear
UrsaMajor said:

ayetee11 said:

Big Dog said:

Exactly, Ayetee. No way there's a contract remotely like this unless they knew what they were likely on the hook for.

Reminds me of a psychiatrist I knew who provided expert testimony to attorneys. He made it clear that he would say whatever they needed for their case, regardless of the data. He did, however, require the following in his retainer agreement: the law firm would agree to defend him against any malpractice action and pay any judgments rendered against him (last I heard, he had 5 and counting).
An expert psychiatrist? Isn't that like Jumbo Shrimp or Military Intelligence?

Sorry, couldn't resist (and felt this topic needs some levity) . . back to our regularly scheduled programming . . .
iwantwinners
Did I miss something regarding the hatred of Miller?

Thought he was a great coach at Xavier, clearly his peers thought the same, and nothing he's done at Arizona has changed that for me.

Is it just because he's had success at rival in-conference program? If there's a legit reason then I missed it.
socaliganbear
iwantwinners said:

Did I miss something regarding the hatred of Miller?

Thought he was a great coach at Xavier, clearly his peers thought the same, and nothing he's done at Arizona has changed that for me.

Is it just because he's had success at rival in-conference program? If there's a legit reason then I missed it.
Yeah pretty much?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.