Are we gonna get that rumored grad transfer?

38,568 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
ddc_Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
joe amos yaks said:

"Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering -- and it's all over much too soon." - WA
Related to:

"This restaurant food is terrible."

"Yes, and such small portions."
MSaviolives
oskidunker said:

Tried to watch Sleeper yesterday. Did not succeed.
So you slept through Sleeper... makes sense to me
joe amos yaks
MSaviolives said:

oskidunker said:

Tried to watch Sleeper yesterday. Did not succeed.
So you slept through Sleeper... makes sense to me
Sleeper was.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
helltopay1
Dear Msavio: If your hero were still living he would probably say, " so where's the free speech--don't tell me I have to do this all over again?" Cal now has the well deserved reputation of being one of the least tolerant universities in the US. Please read the joint statement recently by faculty and students. Lovers of the first amendment and free speech are surely shedding tears. Full stop. i just had to comment when I noticed your nom de plume. And please--let's not have a 35,000 page Ph.D dissertation on whether or not this reputation is deserved. It is deserved. someday Cal will go to the Rose bowl. Also, someday cal will shed its reputation of being a dangerous place to visit if you want to make a speech which is not congruent with the prevailing political atmosphere. Which will come first??My question is rhetorical. Full stop.
UrsaMajor
helltopay1 said:

Dear Msavio: If your hero were still living he would probably say, " so where's the free speech--don't tell me I have to do this all over again?" Cal now has the well deserved reputation of being one of the least tolerant universities in the US. Please read the joint statement recently by faculty and students. Lovers of the first amendment and free speech are surely shedding tears. Full stop. i just had to comment when I noticed your nom de plume. And please--let's not have a 35,000 page Ph.D dissertation on whether or not this reputation is deserved. It is deserved. someday Cal will go to the Rose bowl. Also, someday cal will shed its reputation of being a dangerous place to visit if you want to make a speech which is not congruent with the prevailing political atmosphere. Which will come first??My question is rhetorical. Full stop.
Sorry, HTP, I really enjoy most of your posts, but posting a political statement and then saying in essence "don't respond" is kinda cowardly...
MSaviolives
helltopay1 said:

Just. Wow. All based on my avatar. You don't know me. We have never had a conversation about free speech issues. I'm pretty sure you haven't seen any post by me on free speech issues. You have no idea what I think about free speech, nor what I think specifically about current free speech issues at Cal. And yet you post your political diatribe filled with assumptions about what I must believe, and go so far as admonishing me not to provide "35,000 page Ph.D dissertation" on what you anticipate must be my position. If you have any decency, you will delete your post.

P.S. You will, no doubt, be surprised that I am deeply disturbed by what I believe to be the trends against free speech on American campuses today. And I read the Joint Statement when it was published.

oskidunker
There is no Free Speech at Cal. I ding recall any when I was there 1970. if you are liberal ok.
Go Bears!
helltopay1
Dear MS: my post had absolutely nothing to do with you. I have no idea on your feelings/thoughts on thge Cal campus today concerning free speech nor do I care. i simply leapt at the chance to talk about mario/free speech at Cal because of your nom de plume and the current toxic free speech environment at Cal. You thought I was using my post to say or imply something about you. I can promise you that i was not. you can now rest assured.
helltopay1
Also MS: The allusion to a "35,000 ph.D dissertation had to do with a recent discussion concerning the innate inability of most caucasian athletes to run very fast or jump very high. after I stated that obvious point, at least one " anthropology major" wrote a '35,000 piece" dissertation on why my analysis was faulty. I was referring specifically to him. perhaps I should have been more clear on my thought processes. in the future, if ever I am responding to one of your posts, I will not leave anything to the imagination.
Big C
Meanwhile... are we gonna get that rumored grad transfer?
oskidunker
Its possible. 25% chance.
Go Bears!
MSaviolives
helltopay1 said:

Dear MS: my post had absolutely nothing to do with you. I have no idea on your feelings/thoughts on thge Cal campus today concerning free speech nor do I care. i simply leapt at the chance to talk about mario/free speech at Cal because of your nom de plume and the current toxic free speech environment at Cal. You thought I was using my post to say or imply something about you. I can promise you that i was not. you can now rest assured.
My fellow Bear...I'll accept that you were just looking for an opportunity to say what you wanted to say. Next time, may I ask that if your post has absolutely nothing to do with me, please don't start the post by saying "Dear MSavio:"

Now back to our regular programming.
helltopay1
i am not in favor of bringing in a very mediocre JC player simply because he plays in the front court. JC players have 2-3 years of eligibility left and I don't think we want to be stuck again with a rotation player who may not even be a rotation player on other pac 12 programs. a mediocre grad transfer??yes---not a mediocre JC player. Please see players named winston & Deschon.
UCBerkGrad
MSaviolives said:

helltopay1 said:

My fellow Bear...I'll accept that you were just looking for an opportunity to say what you wanted to say. Next time, may I ask that if your post has absolutely nothing to do with me, please don't start the post by saying "Dear MSavio:"

Now back to our regular programming.
This got weird
helltopay1
dear uc berk grad: can you not walk and chew gum at the same time??
concernedparent
helltopay1 said:

Also MS: The allusion to a "35,000 ph.D dissertation had to do with a recent discussion concerning the innate inability of most caucasian athletes to run very fast or jump very high. after I stated that obvious point, at least one " anthropology major" wrote a '35,000 piece" dissertation on why my analysis was faulty. I was referring specifically to him. perhaps I should have been more clear on my thought processes. in the future, if ever I am responding to one of your posts, I will not leave anything to the imagination.
"I'm old and I'm wrong, but don't bother engaging me in discussion. I only want to talk at you."
joe amos yaks
"Bad taste is simply saying the truth before it should be said." - MB
UrsaMajor
helltopay1 said:

FYI, the original LBJ quote was "fart and chew gum at the same time."
BearlyCareAnymore
helltopay1 said:

Trust me. My "dissertations" won't be wasted on you again. I see the level of thought you like to put into the discussion. "We all knows that X is true. Shut up and don't argue. Your education is just a pile of shyte."

You belittled my education once and I chose not to respond. You now choose to bring me up out of nowhere as the poster child of the board's stupidity. Right now I am significantly holding back, or believe me you would not like the much more concise and I believe very obvious things I would say. Very tough for me as the biggest thing that sets me off is stupid people calling me stupid.

Leave me out of your bullshyte.
UCBerkGrad
helltopay1 said:

Sure, and I can also keep things on topic and not bring up non sequiturs
Big C
OaktownBear said:

helltopay1 said:

Trust me. My "dissertations" won't be wasted on you again. I see the level of thought you like to put into the discussion. "We all knows that X is true. Shut up and don't argue. Your education is just a pile of shyte."

You belittled my education once and I chose not to respond. You now choose to bring me up out of nowhere as the poster child of the board's stupidity. Right now I am significantly holding back, or believe me you would not like the much more concise and I believe very obvious things I would say. Very tough for me as the biggest thing that sets me off is stupid people calling me stupid.

Leave me out of your bullshyte.
Personally, I hate it when smart people call me stupid, because it makes me wonder if they might be right. (Please don't call me stupid, OTB!)

Otherwise, consider the source (not referring to this thread, specifically).
helltopay1
Dear OTB: neither one of us is stupid. and, at my advanced age, i have a lot of common sense and experience not yet afforded to you. you will acquire this experience and common sense when you reach my age. This is not a value judgment. Mark Twain wrote that when he was 14 years old he thought his Dad was an idiot. When he was 21, he couldn't believe " how much the old man had learned." when I was your tender age, I too, thought that old people were idiots . It is a common affliction among the youth of any society. I'm sure you know much more about Anthropology than I. but, on my side, I have the advantages of common sense, experience, good eyesight and a healthy understanding of academic pretension and contrariness for its own sake. Of course, there is wheat. But, chaff abounds, and my point that , over time, common sense and experience and a healthy dose off cynicism will help you identify a lot of chaff. Your "intelligence" has never been in doubt. I do apologize if your feelings have been hurt. As you go through life, your feelings will be hurt quite often. trust me.
KenBurnski
OTB should reply with a 35,001 word dissertation on the works of Lon Chaney.
mikecohen
joe amos yaks said:

You're quoting Moraga Bear here?
MoragaBear
Staff
mikecohen said:

joe amos yaks said:

That would be a no.

And enough with the politics here.

wifeisafurd
To think I just read this thread to find out the status of the purported grad transfer. That was one tough read.
philbert
wifeisafurd said:

To think I just read this thread to find out the status of the purported grad transfer. That was one tough read.

joe amos yaks
mikecohen said:

joe amos yaks said:

Mel Brooks.
oskidunker
Things are slow right now..,
Go Bears!
BearlyCareAnymore
helltopay1 said:

Dear OTB: neither one of us is stupid. and, at my advanced age, i have a lot of common sense and experience not yet afforded to you. you will acquire this experience and common sense when you reach my age. This is not a value judgment. Mark Twain wrote that when he was 14 years old he thought his Dad was an idiot. When he was 21, he couldn't believe " how much the old man had learned." when I was your tender age, I too, thought that old people were idiots . It is a common affliction among the youth of any society. I'm sure you know much more about Anthropology than I. but, on my side, I have the advantages of common sense, experience, good eyesight and a healthy understanding of academic pretension and contrariness for its own sake. Of course, there is wheat. But, chaff abounds, and my point that , over time, common sense and experience and a healthy dose off cynicism will help you identify a lot of chaff. Your "intelligence" has never been in doubt. I do apologize if your feelings have been hurt. As you go through life, your feelings will be hurt quite often. trust me.
hell, you have displayed wisdom on many an occasion here. I do not dispute that. I do not believe that declaring a specific individual to be slow based solely on race is an example of the best of your wisdom. You had two better choices: 1. Don't opine where you had no specific information about the player; or 2. Look at the player's film that was readily available and base your opinion on solid fact. I'm sorry, but extrapolating based solely on race is lazy. As for my "dissertation", I'd boil it down this way. We agree that there are more fast black players per capita than fast white players. However, that is a tendency, not a universal. You cannot use that to judge a specific individual site unseen. There are plenty of fast white basketball players. I'm sorry but judging an individual like that is not the best use of a lifetime of common sense and experience.

I also do not believe this post was the wisest. I thank you for acknowledging that we are both intelligent. However, much of the rest is pretty condescending. I am approaching 50 years old. I wouldn't dream of telling a 30 year old that he will acquire more common sense when he reaches my age. To the contrary, I learn from people of all ages all the time. I learn a ton from my children's generation. I accept the wisdom of Mark Twain's quote that yes, teenagers often have not learned to respect the wisdom of experience, but I'd also point out that he also used the age of 21 to indicate a man who, with a few years of his own real life experience under his belt was able to see the wisdom that comes with experience. Well, I have more than a few years of my own real life experience. I certainly respect the wisdom people gain with experience. However, I've also learned that some people become wiser and some people just get old. And most people are in between. They gain wisdom in some areas where they get entrenched in others. And the fact is that the world changes rapidly these days. The world we experienced when we were 20 or 30 was nothing like the world a 20 or 30 year old experiences today. Some of our experiences were and are extremely valuable and some become less and less relevant as time marches on. I think you discount the potential wisdom of those that come after you at your own peril. And the day you stop challenging what you have come to believe is common sense is the day you stop growing in wisdom.

helltopay1
Dear Oak: That was a very good post. i would give anything to be 50 years old again. your response was measured and I will incorporate the wheat therein.
Yogi58
OaktownBear said:

Very tough for me as the biggest thing that sets me off is stupid people calling me stupid.
You can see why I have in the past have had trouble surviving on this board.
Big C
Yogi Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Very tough for me as the biggest thing that sets me off is stupid people calling me stupid.
You can see why I have in the past have had trouble surviving on this board.
Seriously. People think it must be easy, always being the smartest person in the room, but it's not.

(At least, that's what I hear, anyway.)
alarsuel
Matz Stockman can't be the secret name everyone is excited about, can it? Does that indicate the coaching staff doesn't expect "Secret Transfer X"?
oskidunker
A guy that scores 2 points a game wnd was never seen as good enoughbtonget much playingbtime. Hard tonget excited about him.
Go Bears!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.