OT: NBA offseason moves. Lebron to lakers, DeMarcus Cousins to Warriors!!

11,880 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BGGB2
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was gone for two days and look what happened.
OMG
So far the Lakers add rajn rondo, lance stephnson, JaVale McGee, and someone else.
The Warriors add Demarcus cousins for 1 yr and 5.3M. Wow! That's crazy!

So, do the Warriors win all 82, sweep the entire playoffs and then just implode after next year with Klay and Green contracts up? And then Durant opts out?
Could steph be the last guy standing, except he's sitting because he's suffered another devastating knee or ankle injury?

Will it be back to the gutter?
BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom said:

OMG
So far the Lakers add rajn rondo, lance stephnson, JaVale McGee, and someone else.

So, do the Warriors win all 82, sweep the entire playoffs and then just implode after next year with Klay and Green contracts up? And then Durant opts out?
Could steph be the last guy standing, except he's sitting because he's suffered another devastating knee or ankle injury?

Does anything about the warriors management make you think this is remotely likely?
socaliganbear
OaktownBear said:

concordtom said:

OMG

Does anything about the warriors management make you think this is remotely likely?
More likely they end up with Anthony Davis in a few years.
bearister
concordtom said:

....Will it be back to the gutter?

Well, if so, at least in will be in San Francisco's gutter instead of Oakland's (minus the sell out crowds they still had during the extended gutter period in Oakland).
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oski003
Hard to win all 82 when your new FA acquisition will start the season in a walking boot. He might be good at the end of the year though.
concordtom
socaliganbear said:

More likely they end up with Anthony Davis in a few years.
LOL
concordtom
OaktownBear said:

I just can't see how they are going to fit all these guys' salaries.
And then this last year I thought Curry was showing signs of wearing out. Not now, not next year, but in the bearish future.

Cousins is a one-year rental, no?
Durant could split any time, and now green and Klay are saying they wants more money.
All while all are aging.

I guess it doesn't matter - if they can win next year (done deal) then they will have 4 in 5 years.
Then contracts come due, and....

Please tell me, how do the Warriors keep it going? How are they light years ahead of everyone else (in 2 years)?
concordtom
I believe Lacob must be arranging business income deals for his players that falls outside of the NBA salary confines.
You heard it here first.
concordtom
If anyone beats the Warriors in the playoffs, the Warriors will instantly become the most ridiculed team of all time.
They will become the most hated franchise, like the Yankees.
ducky23
bearister said:

concordtom said:

....Will it be back to the gutter?

Well, if so, at least in will be in San Francisco's gutter instead of Oakland's (minus the sell out crowds they still had during the extended gutter period in Oakland).

It only took an hour and change for you to chime in with your "oh I can't believe they are leaving me" refrain

To answer an earlier question, you know how they're going to afford to keep everyone?

BY MOVING TO THE CITY!!!!!!!
bearister
concordtom said:

I believe Lacob must be arranging business income deals for his players that falls outside of the NBA salary confines.
You heard it here first.

Hopefully Lacob provides insider trading info, the players he gives the tips to flip on him, and he spends 10 years in a Federal Prison with tRump Lite as his cellmate and ducky23 as a regular visitor. DON'T MESS WITH OAKTOWN!

In the Oakland Zone (repeat chorus)
You could be in New York City, or even in Paris France, but when you're in the Oakland Zone, you remember how to dance, ya'll
You could be a hustler, you might give those dice a roll, but when you're in the Oakland Zone, you do it with a lotta soul
Tower of Power
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom said:

OaktownBear said:

And then this last year I thought Curry was showing signs of wearing out. Not now, not next year, but in the bearish future.

Durant could split any time, and now green and Klay are saying they wants more money.
All while all are aging.

I guess it doesn't matter - if they can win next year (done deal) then they will have 4 in 5 years.

Please tell me, how do the Warriors keep it going? How are they light years ahead of everyone else (in 2 years)?
There is a big difference between being in the gutter - which is what I responded to - and being light years ahead of everyone else.

Most likely, the Warriors championship run comes to an end. That is the case even if they keep the big 4 together. Because it is hard to sustain those kinds of runs. Most likely it will come because someone else, maybe Boston, maybe Philly, ?, knocks them off the mountain vs. the Warriors imploding.

You painted this doomsday scenario where everybody leaves except an old crippled Steph and they go into the gutter. So again, does anything about the warriors management make you think this is remotely likely? Oh, they may need to make some decisions. Maybe they can't keep all 4. They may need to pick. Maybe KD decides, okay, I've had my fun. Now I want to show I can do it on my own. Who knows. But why would they lose ALL THREE. And if they did, what makes you think they couldn't sign someone else?

Curry was right in it for series MVP on an injured ankle. Frankly, I suspect you watched Curry for a handful of games and determined he was slowing down. I don't see it.

"All while they are aging". A baby is aging. You are talking about two 28 year olds, a 29 year old, and a 30 year old.

I'm not that worried about Thompson and Green's contracts. Of course they are saying they want top dollar. They are in negotiations. But let's bottom line this. Thompson and Green are All Stars. They are awesome. They are also not ever going to be the star player on any team that is going anywhere. The are complementary players. They are Scottie Pippen. They are James Worthy. Their marketability beyond their salary is massively enhanced by being Warriors. They know this. They take a huge monetary risk looking for a higher salary somewhere else where the team won't be as successful. They do that, they better win where they go. Something that will be harder to do when the new team is tying up salary on them.

I think there is a much bigger risk KD decides to move on to something new. His marketability is sky high wherever he goes. I think he can and will play wherever he wants. It is a matter of how much he likes playing for the Warriors.

I doubt this is an issue until 2020-2021. The Warriors ownership will do everything in their power to open up in SF with their 4 guys.

But again, why would losing guys mean you wouldn't replace guys? No, I don't see a doomsday scenario where everyone leaves and the Warriors wind up in the gutter being likely.
BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom said:

OaktownBear said:

All while all are aging.

I would also say this. Every team has question marks when you try to look 2 years out. Instead of saying "Oh my god! They might not dominate 2 years from now! Tell me how they still dominate 2 years from now." why don't you tell me which team right now is in a better spot for 2019-2020. You are forced to bet the house on who wins the 2020 championship based on what you know now. Who ya got? Any team is a long shot 2 years out. You seriously think odds are better for anyone else?
59bear
My first reaction was: Pairing Cousins and Draymond is a bit like driving a bumpy road with a flask of nitroglycerin between your knees and your vehicle's shocks are shot.
south bender
I love your imagery! Got a good laugh from it.

However, Draymond has improved some already this year and likely will continue to learn when to shut up when a call is made that he does not like.

As for Cousins, the Dubs are not Sacramento. (I don't know his behavior in New Orleans.) I would bet he will learn to play like a Warrior, and cool his behavior that might hurt the team.

As much for his sake as for the Warriors, I hope that he heals quite completely and has the opportunity to become consistently the amazing player he has shown up till now.

And where better to show it than as a member of the best team with the best teamwork in the NBA?
Yogi58
59bear said:

My first reaction was: Pairing Cousins and Draymond is a bit like driving a bumpy road with a flask of nitroglycerin between your knees and your vehicle's shocks are shot.
It'll be interesting to see if they can control their tempers on the court.
concordtom

Quote:

You painted this doomsday scenario where everybody leaves except an old crippled Steph and they go into the gutter. So again, does anything about the warriors management make you think this is remotely likely? Oh, they may need to make some decisions. Maybe they can't keep all 4. They may need to pick. Maybe KD decides, okay, I've had my fun. Now I want to show I can do it on my own. Who knows. But why would they lose ALL THREE. And if they did, what makes you think they couldn't sign someone else?
I don't know!
I was already worried about not being able to keep all 4 at max contracts, and then heard this news of Boogie this morning, and fricking lost my mind!

Oddly enough, I had some thoughts months ago of Boogie joining the Warriors after his injury and hearing about his contract coming due. I thought, he's just what the Warriors need, a big guy that nobody can F with.
And now he shoots 3's at 38%? You've got to be kidding me!

Let's keep boogie and dump draymond, hahaha.
RichyBear
Next year, baring injuries, should be the Warriors best team yet. If one, or more of the top players leave, I have faith in the Warrior's management to get good replacements. The Warriors, after years on incompetent management, have management that most of there decissions turn out to be good, or even excellent.
Those of you that followed the Warriors in the 60's or early 70's saw some of the worst trades in Basketball, if not sports, history.
They traded Wilt Chamberlain for Lee Shaffer (who never showed up), Connie Dierking (who showed up, but played very little, and Paul Neuman (who came and was at least in the rotation). As one sports writer said, 'It was like trading Babe Ruth for 2 utility infielders and a relief pitcher.
The Warrior managment thought that they had a chance for the playoffs and beyond, so they traded their first round draft pick for Zelmo Beaty (who I believe never showed up) Who was Pete Marivich.
Having lived through watching such stupidity it's refreshing to have the current management.
To paraphrase the AA moto, take care of 2019 now, worry about 2020 next year. One year at a time.
concordtom
I agree, it should be the most dominant team to date!
Interestingly, some are saying that being that Boogie is not as mobile, he might upset their movement and passing bread and butter. I laugh. He's huge and you can't guard him 1v1.
Klay Thompson might as well just stand in the corner, Steph in the other, KD at the elbow-3, and let Draymond play a 2v2 against the other team's PF and Center with Boogie posting down low. Methinks Draymond can beat his man to rim every time. Or Boogie does.

Whatever, it's gonna be funny.
The league is gonna cry No Fair all the way to second place.
concordtom
concordtom
Former 2x MVP Steph Curry might be the 3rd best player on that team.
south bender
Curry is the key to the offense.

CT, if you think that makes him 3rd best, I am surprised...
gobears
Every great team will have their run stop...

90's Bulls (6 in 8 years)...

80's Celtics (3 in 7 years run) as Bird's back became too much for Bird to play consistently and Len Bias death who was targeted to infuse new young talent into the rotation.

80's Showtime Lakers.. 5 rings in 9 years run..but began to fade as they just got too old win it all..

2000's Kobe/Shaq Lakers... 3 peat teams... as the Kobe/Shaq split up as they did not want to play with each other anymore...

2000's Spurs with Tim Duncan and company... 5 in 15... but once Tim retired... GSW stepped up to hold down court on from the throne.

How long will GSW run be? It has got off to a good start, 3 in 4... with good chance to get to 4 in 5..
Next team goal is match Kobe/Shaq 3 peat run... but get edge with the 4 in 5 that Kobe/Shaq could not achieve...

GSW's run will eventually end, but until then, get the popcorn and enjoy the show.

goGSW
goBears

Yogi58
concordtom said:

Technically, #0 is already spoken for
59bear
gobears said:

Every great team will have their run stop...

90's Bulls (6 in 8 years)...

80's Celtics (3 in 7 years run) as Bird's back became too much for Bird to play consistently and Len Bias death who was targeted to infuse new young talent into the rotation.

80's Showtime Lakers.. 5 rings in 9 years run..but began to fade as they just got too old win it all..

2000's Kobe/Shaq Lakers... 3 peat teams... as the Kobe/Shaq split up as they did not want to play with each other anymore...

2000's Spurs with Tim Duncan and company... 5 in 15... but once Tim retired... GSW stepped up to hold down court on from the throne.

How long will GSW run be? It has got off to a good start, 3 in 4... with good chance to get to 4 in 5..
Next team goal is match Kobe/Shaq 3 peat run... but get edge with the 4 in 5 that Kobe/Shaq could not achieve...

GSW's run will eventually end, but until then, get the popcorn and enjoy the show.

goGSW
goBears

You omitted the greatest dynasty ever: Bill Russell's Celtics with 11 titles in 13 seasons from the mid-'50's through the '60s.
concordtom
Were their 8 teams in the league?
That's not a dynasty, that a league in infancy.
concordtom
I've been looking thru box scores of summer league games.
Eye popping 40 points from some new guy on the 76ers I never heard of before!

And look who was guarding him, at least on this play:

"Korkmaz's shooting performance was captivating, mesmerizing, rare, spectacular, he appeared to be playing on another level than his opponents and peers."

https://www.libertyballers.com/2018/7/7/17543242/inside-furkan-korkmazs-40-point-outing-during-his-2018-sixers-summer-league-debut-philadelphia

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/07/meet-furkan-korkmaz-the-sixers-summer-league-phenom

Here's the box score. Jabari had a good game with 14 points and 8 boards in 27 minutes. 6-10 FG and 1-2 from 3. 1-4 FT though.
http://www.nba.com/games/20180706/BOSPHI#/boxscore
concordtom
Lol, same dude went 0-7 from 3 in game 2 for 4 points.
http://www.nba.com/games/20180707/PHILAL#/boxscore
concordtom
I hadn't heard about Tony Parker!

Parker agreed to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Charlotte Hornets on Friday, ending a 17-year run with the Spurs. And he's not the only veteran on the move, with Oklahoma City and Carmelo Anthony having mutually agreed they will part ways and Dwight Howard set to sign with the Washington Wizards once he clears waivers.
59bear
concordtom said:

Were their 8 teams in the league?
That's not a dynasty, that a league in infancy.
So by your metric, the Yankees of Ruth Gehrig, et al could not be a dynasty. Dominance is dominance.
concordtom
I dominate my younger siblings, I'm the best basketball player in the family, and can drive faster from my house to the freeway than anyone else.
I AM THE GREATEST !!!!!

40 years hence, I expect to be elected to the hall of fame for my family and forever hailed as the greatest of all time!
concordtom
concordtom said:

Lol, same dude went 0-7 from 3 in game 2 for 4 points.
http://www.nba.com/games/20180707/PHILAL#/boxscore
76ers one game wonder Furkan update
Scored 1 point on 0-9 shooting in 23 mins.

Amazing. How do you hit for 40 and then miss your next 16 shots?
Reminds me of the Rockets bad streak against the Warriors at the end of that series.

concordtom
Dr J on superteams, and please note that he didn't win an NBA title until free agent Moses Malone joined the team and they went fo-fo-fo:

As you might have expected, an all-time great isn't thrilled that the Warriors added DeMarcus Cousins, yet another All-Star.

Hall of Famer Julius Erving appeared on SiriusXM NBA Radio on Sunday and didn't hold back when asked about today's NBA stars joining forces to create Super Teams.

"It's somewhat appalling to me. I think the bottom rung of the league has no chance of getting to the top. I think parity in the NBA is healthy for the league, as it is for all professional sports leagues. The Super Teams, it's sort of like the Yankees back in the 50's, 60's, whatever. You know, they go out and get Reggie Jackson, the get Dave Winfield or whatever, they they win a championship. Well, it was theirs to lose because the were the only Super Team doing that, and had a dynasty. And now we see it in basketball," Erving said. "For Golden State to get Boogie and you already got four guys are are Top 20 in the league, now you've got five who are Top 20 in the league, Top 25 in the league at worst, it's a little appalling to me. I think something needs to be adjusted."

Erving played five seasons in the ABA and 11 seasons for the 76ers in the NBA. He won two ABA championships and one NBA title. He was inducted into Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame in 1993.
Yogi58
concordtom said:

Dr J on superteams, and please note that he didn't win an NBA title until free agent Moses Malone joined the team and they went fo-fo-fo:
Malone was acquired by trade for Caldwell Jones. Also, the 76ers lost one game to Don Nelson's Bucks in the Eastern Finals.
concordtom
Excuse me, but this is the age of Trump, and that means I can say whatever the F I want!

(Okay, sorry, I was repeating what I heard on the radio re free agency, and I was remembering the quote, guess it didn't come true.)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.