Will Tomorrow Be The Day After The 5-33 Record (13% Winning Percentage)?

13,769 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Yogi58
calbear80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can someone please check Jim Knowlton's calendar for Thursday March 14 and report back?

Go Bears!
oskidunker
You are optimistic, I am not.
Go Bears!
KenBurnski
I think we get Baldwin'd
Golden One
Like it or not, I think Wyking gets another year.
oskidunker
He may, but I will not support that decision.
Go Bears!
calbear80
oskidunker said:

You are optimistic, I am not.

Oski, I hope you are wrong. We will know within the next 24 to 48 hours.

Go Bears!
oskidunker
Why do you think that?
Go Bears!
bearister
calbear80 said:

Can someone please check Jim Knowlton's calendar for Thursday March 14 and report back?

Go Bears!

I checked my calendar for today and found this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1488606/
GRRAAH
80. you sorry azz troll. Where were you during our win streak
oskidunker
Who is 89?
Go Bears!
Yogi58
GRRAAH said:

Saying **** this team like anyone with half a brain would
Yogi58
calbear80 said:

Go Bears!
Either tomorrow is Fire Wyking Day or tomorrow is Fire Jim Knowlton Day. There are no other acceptable alternatives. There is no reason to wait. Either he's done his prep work and will do the right thing or he'll do the Cal thing and I will continue ignoring the basketball program until they give me a reason to give a **** about it.
oskidunker
Thanks Yogi Agree. I have found it is much essier watching at home. I can stand to save $1000.00. So either way its ok.
Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
Golden One said:

Please no. Baldwin and now Wyking? Really bad look for Knowlton if so.
calbear80
Yogi Bear said:

...Either tomorrow is Fire Wyking Day or tomorrow is Fire Jim Knowlton Day. There are no other acceptable alternatives. There is no reason to wait. Either he's done his prep work and will do the right thing or he'll do the Cal thing and I will continue ignoring the basketball program until they give me a reason to give a **** about it.

+1
Alkiadt
KoreAmBear said:

Golden One said:

AD doesn't dictate assistant coach hires.... get real.
calbear80
GRRAAH said:

Where were you during the 16 game losing streak?

Where have you been during the 5-33 (13% winning percentage) stretch?

Go Bears!
calbear80
Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

Golden One said:

AD provides money to hire good Assistant Coaches and Knowlton didn't.

Go Bears!
Alkiadt
Make a donation.
And he did increase assistant coach pool with Wilcox's new contract.
Post relevance, not redundancy.
Yogi58
calbear80 said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

Golden One said:

AD provides money to hire good Assistant Coaches and Knowlton didn't.

Go Bears!
Actually, I'm a litte bit unhappy in that the purported sum of money that was supposed to be available to give deserving football assistants a performance-based raise was not what we were led to believe.
oskidunker
Keep in mind Knowltons number one mission is to reduce the debt.
Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
Alkiadt said:

Make a donation.
The AD works with donors to get the money that is needed.

One of our donor insiders told us they (Wilcox or Knowlton) didn't even approach him/them. He was pretty disappointed since he was open to what was needed.

If you believe Knowlton had no role in the reshuffling of the offensive assistants, then that would be evidence of how passive he is. Otherwise, he made no attempt to reach out to the donors to potentially try something.

But continue to talk like a know it all (pun intended).
Alkiadt
KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

Make a donation.

One of our donor insiders told us they (Wilcox or Knowlton) didn't even approach him/them. He was pretty disappointed since he was open to what was needed.

If you believe Knowlton had no role in the reshuffling of the offensive assistants, then that would be evidence of how passive he is. Otherwise, he made no attempt to reach out to the donors to potentially try something.

Ha!
He rewrote Wilcox's contract with additional funds for Wilcox's staff. So he was indeed somewhat involved in that.
Even non knowitalls know that. Where were you?
Big C
Back to the question at hand. Turns out I have the answer:

Maybe.
ColoradoBear
oskidunker said:

Gonna be harder when the number of basketball season ticket holders drops by half.

Once people find they can get $6 seats for all but 2-3 games, and skip the games that don't have a name opponent or fit their schedule...

That will add up to far more than the coaches' buyout.

To reduce the deficit, the athletic department needs to reduce spending on sports where revenue is not affected by performance, and not underspend on sports where revenue is affected by performance.
4thGenCal
KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

Make a donation.

The AD did reach out to get the new football compensation package needed. And he also approved quickly the money that the donors raised to create an much needed extra recruiting position. Which additional position added helped, but still has the team recruiting positions near the bottom of the league.
oskidunker
I wonder how many really won't renew. I won't but there are some here that don't care if we win or not. They value the trip to Cal and that's ok. But I wonder how many are left sf city would go if we lost every game. Maybe 5-6 that post here. The silent majority, maybe not. I guess we are going to find out. They lost about 2k last year when most of us thought this would turn around. Either that or we were not really paying attention to how we were losing.

Every game is on tv. That in itself is a big deterrent to fighting the ever worsening traffic.I found I enjoyed watching at home and did not miss the Haas experience of over hyped introduction and inane games along with awful music, although it seemed better at the WSU game which I attended. And I am retired and can go early and spend the day there. What about those that have to work? I would think they have even more reason to stay home.

You have an aging fan base that may not come back once they leave. Knowlton should be very careful when weighing options. Busting your ass to watch a team that has little chance of winning is becoming too much.
Go Bears!
Yogi58
ColoradoBear said:

oskidunker said:

Gonna be harder when the number of basketball season ticket holders drops by half.

Once people find they can get $6 seats for all but 2-3 games, and skip the games that don't have a name opponent or dit their schedule...

That will add up to far more than the.a coaches buyout.

To reduce the deficit, the athletic department needs to reduce spending on sports where revenue is not affected by performance, and not underspend on sports where revenue is affected by performance.

Ignore the overruled part. One of the better posts on here ever.
wifeisafurd
Yogi Bear said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!
Either tomorrow is Fire Wyking Day or tomorrow is Fire Jim Knowlton Day. There are no other acceptable alternatives. There is no reason to wait. Either he's done his prep work and will do the right thing or he'll do the Cal thing and I will continue ignoring the basketball program until they give me a reason to give a **** about it.
I don't think any news coming out about any teams for a few days. Pac ADs and Presidents meetings through the rest of the week. Expect next week all hell to break loose for a lot of the conference.

Also, if ASU wins the conference tourney, look for Hurley to go fishing in a bigger pond.

Possible there could be 5 or 6 job changes in the next month or so IMO.
KoreAmBear
Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

Make a donation.

Ha!
He rewrote Wilcox's contract with additional funds for Wilcox's staff. So he was indeed somewhat involved in that.
Even non knowitalls know that. Where were you?

I was actually talking about the offensive assistant reshuffle.

But you just proved my point that the AD can and does get involved with finding money for assistants.

The donor told us that no one came to them to potentially buy out Baldwin. He was disappointed that they even implied it was a money issue. So Knowlton did have a role in affecting potential change, but did nothing. For football it's s moot point now -it's on Baldwin to right the ship.

I would think he has another chance though to change the course of a program by firing Wyking. Not doing it will show me he's played it safe twice, which is a really weak look.
socaliganbear
Time for a new coach.
calbear80
Does anyone know if Jim Knowlton is on campus today?
TheFiatLux
calbear80 said:

Go Bears!
So I get lots of grief for being one of the most positive people on the planet.

I can't imagine Jones being retained, I just can't. And if he is retained I think it impacts other decisions I and others make towards Cal Athletics.
TheFiatLux
oskidunker said:

I wonder how many really won't renew. I won't but there are some here that don't care if we win or not. They value the trip to Cal and that's ok. But I wonder how many are left sf city would go if we lost every game. Maybe 5-6 that post here. The silent majority, maybe not. I guess we are going to find out. They lost about 2k last year when most of us thought this would turn around. Either that or we were not really paying attention to how we were losing.

Every game is on tv. That in itself is a big deterrent to fighting the ever worsening traffic.I found I enjoyed watching at home and did not miss the Haas experience of over hyped introduction and inane games along with awful music, although it seemed better at the WSU game which I attended. And I am retired and can go early and spend the day there. What about those that have to work? I would think they have even more reason to stay home.

You have an aging fan base that may not come back once they leave. Knowlton should be very careful when weighing options. Busting your ass to watch a team that has little chance of winning is becoming too much.
What I bolded is really important because you have half the story... You have an aging fan base AND you're not bringing in young fans, as the student section (while not awful) has shown this year. That is a baaaad recipe.
RedlessWardrobe
Yogi Bear said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!
My guess is that the unacceptable alternative will occur. And as a result you probably will ignore Cal basketball. And in reality, no one will give a **** about that.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.