What should the Warriors do with the number 2 pick

13,916 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
joe amos yaks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Celtics' G Brad Wanamaker.
tsubamoto2001
BC Calfan said:

Big C said:

philbert said:

HoopDreams said:

philbert said:

good offense
bad defense
so the opposite of ky bowman

LOL, Nico Mannion. Just because somebody got a lot of ink their sophomore and junior years of high school, that doesn't mean they're going to stick in the NBA. Fortunately for him, he has some credits from the University of Arizona, which should set him up, career-wise. In ten years, he can have his own small business in Arizona, training top high school athletes and answering the question, "Didn't you used to be Nico Mannion?"

If I'm wrong, somebody dredge this up down the road and I'll take my lumps.
Feel the same way. Saw him in person and didn't impress. He doesn't do anything at an NBA level.

So funny how every late draft pick the Warriors make is always recognized as a steal or masterful move: Bell, Macaw, Evans. They're all gone. (I'll give them credit for Paschall, that was a very good pick)

To be fair, he was just a freshman. True, he didn't meet the hype and his 1 year in college exposed some real weaknesses (shooting consistency, defense, and lack of strength come mind). Expectations are really high for a lot of these McDonald's AA types and most are bound to not meet them. He and Cole Anthony struggled quite a bit and their stock dropped as a result.
HoopDreams
Tsukamoto, good to hear from you. One of the more knowledgeable basketball posters

Haven't heard from you in a while
Kaworu
BC Calfan said:

Big C said:

philbert said:

HoopDreams said:

philbert said:

good offense
bad defense
so the opposite of ky bowman

LOL, Nico Mannion. Just because somebody got a lot of ink their sophomore and junior years of high school, that doesn't mean they're going to stick in the NBA. Fortunately for him, he has some credits from the University of Arizona, which should set him up, career-wise. In ten years, he can have his own small business in Arizona, training top high school athletes and answering the question, "Didn't you used to be Nico Mannion?"

If I'm wrong, somebody dredge this up down the road and I'll take my lumps.
Feel the same way. Saw him in person and didn't impress. He doesn't do anything at an NBA level.

So funny how every late draft pick the Warriors make is always recognized as a steal or masterful move: Bell, Macaw, Evans. They're all gone. (I'll give them credit for Paschall, that was a very good pick)
That's a very fair criticism.
concordtom
Starters look good:

Curry
Wiggins
Oubre
Draymond
Wiseman

Bench, not so much:

Wanamaker, N. Mannion
Damion Lee, Poole, Bazeman, M. Mulder
-
Paschall, Looney, Toscano-Anderson
M. Chriss, Smailagic

That's 16 names, allowed to roster 15, and have 13 on game day bench. Klay Thompson hardship injury likely won't count against this number (would be 17 names) from what I read, though it will on the salary cap.
concordtom
Spending an awful lot of $$$ in order to play in front of a 50+% empty arena AND pretty much be guaranteed to finish out of the hunt. We didn't even pick up a veteran center (yet).
concordtom
Methinks only 1 of Oubre and Wiggins will be on the W's next year. May the best man win.
philbert
Toscano-Anderson and Mulder are on non-guaranteed contracts. If they need roster spots, those guys will go.

Can also sign Mannion to a 2-way contract so he'd be eligible to play in 50 games.

Wiggins is untradeable with his contract unless he raises his game to another level. Oubre is Klay's replacement this year. I don't see them trading him unless they're out of contention by the deadline.
Kaworu
concordtom said:

Starters look good:

Curry
Wiggins
Oubre
Draymond
Wiseman

Bench, not so much:

Wanamaker, N. Mannion
-
M. Chriss, Smailagic

That's 16 names, allowed to roster 15, and have 13 on game day bench. Klay Thompson hardship injury likely won't count against this number (would be 17 names) from what I read, though it will on the salary cap.
That team looks a lot like the T-Wolves teams that never made the playoffs until Jimmy Butler got them over the top.
HoopDreams
doesn't the nba season start in dec?
unbelievable

concordtom
philbert said:

Toscano-Anderson and Mulder are on non-guaranteed contracts. If they need roster spots, those guys will go.

Can also sign Mannion to a 2-way contract so he'd be eligible to play in 50 games.

Wiggins is untradeable with his contract unless he raises his game to another level. Oubre is Klay's replacement this year. I don't see them trading him unless they're out of contention by the deadline.
Clarify: when I said that either Wiggins or Oubre would have to go, I was referring to NEXT year. Of course, they'll need both this year, but neither W or O are cheap, and so hopefully Klay is back strong enough next year, and I'd guess that the W's would use either W or O salary for another position.

Also, we still have not picked up a backup center this year, not good. Right now, we have only 3 bigs in Wiseman, Draymond and Looney.
Wiseman is a rookie who didn't really even play college.
Draymond is undersized and getting older.
Looney is always injured.
Paschal is in there, and the unproven tall white foreign guy who played Santa Cruz previously, but we could have really used a Gasol, Ibaka, Dwight, McGee, Thompson... some large veteran.

Sigh.
concordtom
By the way, the Lakers have completely gotten just about everybody that they could have wanted, no?
This year seems lost for the entire rest of league, and if other guys want to beat Lebron they need to team up even more than they are already teaming up.

Nobody can compete with the Lakers depth.

Maybe Giannis gives up on Milwaukee after all after seeing the LAL firepower.
concordtom
Kaworu said:

concordtom said:

Starters look good:

Curry
Wiggins
Oubre
Draymond
Wiseman

Bench, not so much:

Wanamaker, N. Mannion
-
M. Chriss, Smailagic

That team looks a lot like the T-Wolves teams that never made the playoffs until Jimmy Butler got them over the top.
I'd hound Curry relentlessly all over the court and force the others to beat you. Curry is in for a tough exhausting season. Draymond's shot will stink, and so all eyes on Wiggins and Oubre - and see if Wiseman can surprise, though he's awful young.
philbert
concordtom said:

philbert said:

Clarify: when I said that either Wiggins or Oubre would have to go, I was referring to NEXT year. Of course, they'll need both this year, but neither W or O are cheap, and so hopefully Klay is back strong enough next year, and I'd guess that the W's would use either W or O salary for another position.

Also, we still have not picked up a backup center this year, not good. Right now, we have only 3 bigs in Wiseman, Draymond and Looney.
Paschal is in there, and the unproven tall white foreign guy who played Santa Cruz previously, but we could have really used a Gasol, Ibaka, Dwight, McGee, Thompson... some large veteran.

Sigh.
Ok, but next season they will still be over the cap and they won't have a TPE (17.2M from the Iggy trade) that allowed them to take on Oubre. If Oubre walks as a FA, they won't be able to add a big salary without trading someone. If it's Wiggins, he'll have to play a lot better to make him tradeable, unless you plan to take on another reclamation project.

Being over the cap really limits your ability to add big salaried players. It's why folks were saying they'd have to trade 2 big salaries next year if they were to somehow be able to swing a trade of Giannis next year after he signs his extension.

If Oubre plays well this season, I could see them trying to re-sign him and then hope Klay comes back healthy.

PS-Chriss will play center next season.
philbert

philbert
interesting read if you subscribe.

Econ For Dummies
Wiseman looks like he could be very good and be the second best player on the team very soon, if he isn't already.

Unfortunately, the difference between a healthy Klay, Durant, and a younger Draymond and Andrew Wiggins, Kelly Oubre, and Eric Paschall is mammoth. Gonna be a long year for the Warriors, which isn't the worst thing in the world. They need another high draft pick and they need to nail it like they nailed this year's pick.
concordtom
philbert said:

concordtom said:

philbert said:

Sigh.
Ok, but next season they will still be over the cap and they won't have a TPE (17.2M from the Iggy trade) that allowed them to take on Oubre. If Oubre walks as a FA, they won't be able to add a big salary without trading someone. If it's Wiggins, he'll have to play a lot better to make him tradeable, unless you plan to take on another reclamation project.

Being over the cap really limits your ability to add big salaried players. It's why folks were saying they'd have to trade 2 big salaries next year if they were to somehow be able to swing a trade of Giannis next year after he signs his extension.

If Oubre plays well this season, I could see them trying to re-sign him and then hope Klay comes back healthy.

PS-Chriss will play center next season.
I was thinking that Oubre could beat out Wiggins, too, but there's an article today about his historically terrible shooting start to this season. Nobody has ever gone 0-11 from deep to start a season. Both Oubre and Wiggins have NOT lived up to expectations in first 2 games. Long ways to go, but the Warriors are being universally panned.

The only bright spot has been Wiseman. I'm on the Wiseman Train. So young and raw, like a sprightly freshman who is the tallest kid on Varsity. Everyone is on his side as he catches his legs.
concordtom
philbert said:

interesting read if you subscribe.

There's always copy and paste.

From what I've seen in preseason, Nico is never going to make it in the NBA.
concordtom
SFBear92 said:

Wiseman looks like he could be very good and be the second best player on the team very soon, if he isn't already.

Unfortunately, the difference between a healthy Klay, Durant, and a younger Draymond and Andrew Wiggins, Kelly Oubre, and Eric Paschall is mammoth. Gonna be a long year for the Warriors, which isn't the worst thing in the world. They need another high draft pick and they need to nail it like they nailed this year's pick.
I do not think the warriors will be getting another wiseman in next year's draft. They won't be at #2. They won't be at #10, barring injuries.

I am starting to think that the pre-durant Warriors were simply an unseen force that shocked the NBA. Curry and Klay gunning and Draymond being a whirl of energy, with a really strong bench - Iggy came in to stop Lebron for their first title. Where do you get a 6th man to stop one of the all time greats in his prime?

But it was the addition of Durant that made the Warriors truly unbeatable, and so now that Durant is gone and the League has caught up to the Warriors style/game, the old core of 3 is not so great, (not so young and not so healthy, either, obviously).

I am saddened by a fear that Curry and Klay will not be able to rekindle their magic from 5 years prior by the time Klay returns. But, maybe Wiseman can become a force fast enough to catch the Splash Brothers before they sink due to age.

I think in the NBA today, 2 great players is not great enough. You need 3 stars, and a deep bench. The talent is unifying on the "contenders". Less parity.
concordtom
Wiseman's long distance shooting was impressive in this workout video released after the draft.
And it's been backed up by his long range shooting in his first 2 games.

He is 4 of 5 from deep, and he hit 2 swishes in game 1 with his feet just inside the 3-line.

I find that to be pretty stunning. He played zero training camp, zero preseason games, and next to zero college. He's essentially a high school player who has merely been "working out" for the past 20 months.

Just wait until he get comfortable in a couple years.

I think Draymond and Curry are going to be great for him as a coach. Dray is not threatened by him (unlike Durant) and Curry makes EVERYONE better, attitudinally. Meanwhile, Wiseman seems SOO down to earth, just wanting to learn. The old leaders are going to want to bring their new puppy to the park and show him off as their own. Could be a very good mix. Hopefully Klay can return to his former self.

Full strength Klay, Curry and Draymond plus grand puppy dog Wiseman with a year under his belt.... MAYBE!
But the bench.... sigh.

Post removed:
by user
75bear
Wiseman looks like the real deal.... I think the Warriors nailed the pick.

Unfortunately the team as currently constructed will have a hard time making the playoffs this year in a loaded Western Conference.
philbert
If Wiseman gets a good one year of experience despite a poor record, Dubs can benefit by getting maybe two lottery picks in a deep draft next summer. They still have Minny's pick (top 3 protected) and their own (top 20 protected).
philbert
concordt said:

I don't remember exactly what the article said, but it was something about Arizona changing from a more open offense to a post-heavy offense due to injuries. He had trouble adjusting to the new offense and it depressed his stats.

Another article said other teams wanted to pick him earlier in the 2nd round, but he said he wasn't interested because the Dubs told him they would draft him at 48. (I recall Jerome Randle declined to get drafted in the 2nd round in hopes of signing with a team as a free agent. so there is some precedent for 2nd rounders having say in the matter.)
HoopDreams
philbert said:

concordt said:

I don't remember exactly what the article said, but it was something about Arizona changing from a more open offense to a post-heavy offense due to injuries. He had trouble adjusting to the new offense and it depressed his stats.

Another article said other teams wanted to pick him earlier in the 2nd round, but he said he wasn't interested because the Dubs told him they would draft him at 48. (I recall Jerome Randle declined to get drafted in the 2nd round in hopes of signing with a team as a free agent. so there is some precedent for 2nd rounders having say in the matter.)

I vaguely remember Randle talking about that draft 'advice'. must really bother him, even after all these years. I see he's coming off an injury. Good luck to him.

As for Nico, I thought coming into college he could be Kidd-like, but that didn't happen. What I saw was a good player who was a terrible defender
sluggo

What the Warriors should do is fire Bob Myers and get someone competent at talent evaluation. Here are his picks since taking over in 2011:

Year Round Pick Player Pos HT WT Age Pre-Draft Team Class Draft Trades YOS
2020 1 2 James Wiseman C 7-1 240 19 Memphis Fr * 0
2020 2 48 Nico Mannion PG 6-3 190 19 Arizona Fr * 0
2020 2 51 Justinian Jessup SF 6-6 202 22 Boise State Sr 0
2019 1 28 Jordan Poole SG 6-4 195 20 Michigan So * 1
2019 2 41 Eric Paschall F 6-6 255 22 Villanova Sr 1
2019 2 58 Miye Oni SF 6-5 206 22 Yale Jr * GOS to UTH 1
2018 1 28 Jacob Evans SG 6-6 210 21 Cincinnati Jr * 2
2016 1 30 Damian Jones PF 7-0 245 20 Vanderbilt Jr * 4
2015 1 30 Kevon Looney PF 6-9 220 19 UCLA Fr * 5
2012 1 7 Harrison Barnes SF 6-8 225 20 North Carolina So * 8
2012 1 30 Festus Ezeli C 6-11 265 22 Vanderbilt Sr 5
2012 2 35 Draymond Green F 6-6 230 22 Michigan State Sr 8
2012 2 52 Ognen Kuzmic C 7-1 251 22 Unicaja Malaga (Spain) 1990 DOB 2
2011 1 11 Klay Thompson G 6-6 215 21 Washington State Jr * 9
2011 2 44 Charles Jenkins G 6-3 215 22 Hofstra Sr 2

He did great before 2012. Not everyone liked Klay Thompson coming out of college, but he is an all-timer. Draymond Green is one of the great second round picks. Harrison Barnes was okay. Then bust after bust after bust, with the exception of James Wiseman, who every GM would have picked in that position. Jordan Poole is one of the worst players I have ever seen. Jacob Evans was a zero. Kevon Looney is merely below average, as was Damian Jones. Eric Paschall should be an 11th man, if he makes a roster. Nico Mannion is short, has short arms and can't shoot. There is no story you can tell where he is an NBA player.

And adding non-shooter Kelly Oubre for two years and 30 million dollars to non-shooter Andrew Wiggins and non-shooter Draymond Green is beyond stupid.

Note Jerry West was with the Warriors from 2011 to 2017. Have the Warriors made any good moves, other than Wiseman, since he left? At some point some fingers should be pointed.
Big C
sluggo said:

What the Warriors should do is fire Bob Myers and get someone competent at talent evaluation. Here are his picks since taking over in 2011:

He did great before 2012. Not everyone liked Klay Thompson coming out of college, but he is an all-timer. Draymond Green is one of the great second round picks. Harrison Barnes was okay. Then bust after bust after bust, with the exception of James Wiseman, who every GM would have picked in that position. Jordan Poole is one of the worst players I have ever seen. Jacob Evans was a zero. Kevon Looney is merely below average, as was Damian Jones. Eric Paschall should be an 11th man, if he makes a roster. Nico Mannion is short, has short arms and can't shoot. There is no story you can tell where he is an NBA player.

And adding non-shooter Kelly Oubre for two years and 30 million dollars to non-shooter Andrew Wiggins and non-shooter Draymond Green is beyond stupid.

Note Jerry West was with the Warriors from 2011 to 2017. Have the Warriors made any good moves, other than Wiseman, since he left? At some point some fingers should be pointed.

Did the Warriors not have any picks in 2013, 2014 and 2017? (Dunno, just asking.)

Also, how are those draft results compared with other, similar late-round selections? Only 3 out of those 15 picks are below #28 and I know the success rate isn't too high that late in the draft.

Also, it's important to note that Bob Myers CRIED IN THE INTERVIEW ROOM when Durant went down with his Achilles. Isn't that worth something? (Okay, now I'm being sarcastic.)
sluggo
Big C said:

sluggo said:

Did the Warriors not have any picks in 2013, 2014 and 2017? (Dunno, just asking.)

Also, how are those draft results compared with other, similar late-round selections? Only 3 out of those 15 picks are below #28 and I know the success rate isn't too high that late in the draft.

Also, it's important to note that Bob Myers CRIED IN THE INTERVIEW ROOM when Durant went down with his Achilles. Isn't that worth something? (Okay, now I'm being sarcastic.)

I cut-and-pasted from a website, so I am saying no picks in those other years. It would take a lot of work to compare to normal hit rates, but it would be difficult to do worse. And he gave Draymond Green five years for 118 million starting this year. Someday it may pass Wiggins as the worst contract in the league. What a fiasco.
75bear
It's hard to fault any NBA executive who has to consistently pick around #30 each year - it's basically prospects who will never play a significant role on NBA teams.

Sure, every once in a while someone will get extremely lucky and hit pay dirt, but that is very rare.

I think the Warriors have done just fine this decade with their personnel moves (not trading Klay for Kevin Love was beyond smart).
philbert
2014 & 2017 1st rounders were traded away as part of the Iggy sign and trade with Denver.
concordtom
philbert said:

concordt said:

Jerome far better than that short white kid from Northeastern who played over 10 years with Dallas - though I was at that game and the kid had 27 in Haas and shocked me. I was gonna say that Jerome was too shot to defend in the NBA, but this kid made it. Too bad Jerome never did.

My knock on Mannion is from his preseason. I didn't see him at AZ and so was interested what the hype about him was. I read a few articles and watched a bit of YouTube. Well, he looked definitely out of place in pre-season. He was trying to take his man off the dribble same as in some of these YouTube videos. Uh, no - you are too small, too slow for that. It never worked. Meanwhile, the motion of the offense was stagnated while he tried. So, that wasn't going to work for him. And his spot up shooting was no good, too. So, yeah, I was entirely unimpressed. Seems to me a guy like him has to be an amazing shooter from deep first, then you have drawn the D out and you can drive. Trying to face someone down like MJ or Kobe? Forget about it - yet that's what a lot of his preseason action was. No way. I'll be shocked if he gets much time with any team after what I saw of him. Sorry.

Jerome had more range, and quickness, than Nico. So what if Nico is a white boy who can dunk.
Econ For Dummies
concordtom said:

Jerome far better than that short white kid from Northeastern
Not even close to being as good as Barea. Randle's only plus skill was shooting the 3 and he was an atrocious defender.
philbert
I haven't really watched Mannion that much. I just hesitate to pass judgment on any player's long-term prospects based on watching some youtube highlights and preseason games. He was a 2nd rounder. He's not expected to be a star right away...or ever. Can he carve himself a career as a reserve rotation player?
sluggo
philbert said:

I haven't really watched Mannion that much. I just hesitate to pass judgment on any player's long-term prospects based on watching some youtube highlights and preseason games. He was a 2nd rounder. He's not expected to be a star right away...or ever. Can he carve himself a career as a reserve rotation player?
Absolutely not. Bad measurables and bad skills. Made no sense to draft him. That late in the draft is a crapshoot, so you take players that have something going for them and hope they can fill in the rest. But there is nothing to point to with him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.