What should the Warriors do with the number 2 pick

13,919 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good work, thanks!
I fell asleep before calculating.
I was thinking of a true "free" agent.

But whereas the w's looked like The premier destination for aging vets, now they don't look so attractive with just an aging steph to play with. (Draymond wouldn't be a draw - always up people's ax as if he knows everything).

My, how quickly fortunes change. We were unbeatable. Then KD leaves, Klay goes down, and everyone ages. Meanwhile, everyone is partnering up in Big 3's to compete.

The nba drama is compelling, no?
concordtom
Thompson hasn't played in 17 months, since he tore his ACL during the final game of the 2019 NBA Finals. If and it's still an if he has a significant Achilles injury, we surely won't see him at all during the 2020-21 season, and likely won't see him until well into the 2021-22 season.
concordtom
What a bummer draft
We all came into this draft expecting fireworks with a ton of polarizing prospects and teams seemingly itching to make deals. Instead, we got a bunch of chalk selections and absolutely no big-time trades. We went from thinking either of the top two selections could be moved, to nothing. We heard Boston was trying to move into lottery ... nothing. We heard Atlanta was looking to do something with its No. 6 pick ... nothing. We thought there might be a trade between those two teams involving Gordon Hayward, who was extended extra time to decide on his 2020-21 player option, but his name didn't pop up once (though I expect it will soon).

The most exciting name in the draft, LaMelo Ball, went to the freaking Hornets. The only thing that got anyone worked up was Tyrese Haliburton, who approximately 96 percent of the country has never heard of, "falling" to the Kings at No. 12 when a lot of people thought he made sense perhaps as high as No. 6 to Atlanta, and for sure at No. 10 to the Suns. Stop traffic. A classic draft sleeper slept in a handful of spots longer than he perhaps should have.

Forgive me if I'm not falling out of my chair at the news that Luke Kennard is headed to the Clippers and Landry Shamet is going to the Nets. The night started with a decent bang when the Sixers traded Al Horford to OKC in exchange for Danny Green, and later on in the night sent Josh Richardson to the Mavs. Still, those didn't involve any of the big draft names. On Wednesday morning, I went on a Las Vegas radio show predicting utter chaos. Instead, I nearly fell asleep by the 20th pick.
joe amos yaks
W's did well with their #2 and #3 picks -- Mannion (uA) and Jessup (BStu)
concordtom
Why would you say that?
What I read said that those guys are stash players. Jessie is already under contract to play on LaMelo ball's Australia hawks team and no way we see him for a while if ever. And mannion also will look to develop outside the nba, maybe a 2-way at best. At 6'3 and a 32% long distance shooting freshman, I don't see him filling in for Klay at all. He was picked at, what, mid 40's? What was draymond taken with? What was last year's Villanova guy taken with?
Far cry.
Useless picks, mostly.
No?
joe amos yaks
concordtom said:

Why would you say that?
What I read said that those guys are stash players. Jessie is already under contract to play on LaMelo ball's Australia hawks team and no way we see him for a while if ever. And mannion also will look to develop outside the nba, maybe a 2-way at best. At 6'3 and a 32% long distance shooting freshman, I don't see him filling in for Klay at all. He was picked at, what, mid 40's? What was draymond taken with? What was last year's Villanova guy taken with?
Far cry.
Useless picks, mostly.
No?
Glad the W's did not make that trade with the Bulls, though I really liked the Lad from Israel.
Wise to go with Wiseman instead acquiring C Wendell, Jr.
Mannion: Better playing in SC than playing for the donut-boy.
Jessup: Better playing (SG) for a year or two with the Aussies than sitting on the pine in SF or SC.

It's not over ... and KT not lost for the season ... yet.
philbert
HoopDreams
philbert said:

good offense
bad defense
dimitrig
concordtom said:

What a bummer draft
We all came into this draft expecting fireworks with a ton of polarizing prospects and teams seemingly itching to make deals. Instead, we got a bunch of chalk selections and absolutely no big-time trades. We went from thinking either of the top two selections could be moved, to nothing. We heard Boston was trying to move into lottery ... nothing. We heard Atlanta was looking to do something with its No. 6 pick ... nothing. We thought there might be a trade between those two teams involving Gordon Hayward, who was extended extra time to decide on his 2020-21 player option, but his name didn't pop up once (though I expect it will soon).

The most exciting name in the draft, LaMelo Ball, went to the freaking Hornets. The only thing that got anyone worked up was Tyrese Haliburton, who approximately 96 percent of the country has never heard of, "falling" to the Kings at No. 12 when a lot of people thought he made sense perhaps as high as No. 6 to Atlanta, and for sure at No. 10 to the Suns. Stop traffic. A classic draft sleeper slept in a handful of spots longer than he perhaps should have.

Forgive me if I'm not falling out of my chair at the news that Luke Kennard is headed to the Clippers and Landry Shamet is going to the Nets. The night started with a decent bang when the Sixers traded Al Horford to OKC in exchange for Danny Green, and later on in the night sent Josh Richardson to the Mavs. Still, those didn't involve any of the big draft names. On Wednesday morning, I went on a Las Vegas radio show predicting utter chaos. Instead, I nearly fell asleep by the 20th pick.

NBA is always more trade talk and rumor than actual trades.

philbert
HoopDreams said:

philbert said:

good offense
bad defense
so the opposite of ky bowman
Big C
philbert said:

HoopDreams said:

philbert said:

good offense
bad defense

LOL, Nico Mannion. Just because somebody got a lot of ink their sophomore and junior years of high school, that doesn't mean they're going to stick in the NBA. Fortunately for him, he has some credits from the University of Arizona, which should set him up, career-wise. In ten years, he can have his own small business in Arizona, training top high school athletes and answering the question, "Didn't you used to be Nico Mannion?"

If I'm wrong, somebody dredge this up down the road and I'll take my lumps.
concordtom
I don't know the kid at all, but I'm left unthrilled and would agree with you.
Then again, I never would get excited about any 40-something draft pick. Few and far between are the second rounders who amount to much of anything at all.
philbert
concordtom said:

Then again, I never would get excited about any 40-something draft pick. Few and far between are the second rounders who amount to much of anything at all.
Exactly! Most 2nd rounders aren't going to make it to the NBA and if they do, it'll be for a cup of coffee. They're basically lottery tickets for the team that picks them. No one knows how they will develop over time.

That being said, there are roster spots at the end of the bench that are available on every team every season. Mannion could easily take Ky Bowman's spot, assuming Bowman has a spot on the team (he has a non-guaranteed contract for next season). More likely, he'll get a 2 way contract and start in SC.

concordtom
Then again, Chris Mullin surprises the talk show host here to suggest that Nico Mannion will come straight to the Warriors and tutor under Steph. Is queued up to start play at the 11:28 mark for talk about Nico. Mullin says Nico was rumored to be a lottery pick 11 months ago. Is a gym rat, did radio at USC-AZ and watched him play live. Thinks it's a great pick!

They then go into talking about Jessup as a Duncan Robinson type down the road.

concordtom
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/nba-rumors-nico-mannion-falling-warriors-draft-stunned-rival-execs
philbert
This would be the move you're interested in:

BC Calfan
Big C said:

philbert said:

HoopDreams said:

philbert said:

good offense
bad defense

LOL, Nico Mannion. Just because somebody got a lot of ink their sophomore and junior years of high school, that doesn't mean they're going to stick in the NBA. Fortunately for him, he has some credits from the University of Arizona, which should set him up, career-wise. In ten years, he can have his own small business in Arizona, training top high school athletes and answering the question, "Didn't you used to be Nico Mannion?"

Feel the same way. Saw him in person and didn't impress. He doesn't do anything at an NBA level.

So funny how every late draft pick the Warriors make is always recognized as a steal or masterful move: Bell, Macaw, Evans. They're all gone. (I'll give them credit for Paschall, that was a very good pick)
concordtom
philbert said:

I read that when you add in the luxury tax penalty, his $14+M salary will balloon to cost the org $80M. OUCH.
I'm also worried about what they'd have to give up in order for OKC to let him go. Word was OKC would want very little, b/c they just don't want his contract, but a year ago he averaged 18 ppg on 34% 3pters.

There are a number of other adds the warriors could get, but they aren't going to be able to collect much revenue this season from seating and so they are going to be losing a lot of money until COVID clears, I'd imagine.

This year looks like crap. Maybe we can tank again and get 2 more lottery picks next year.

When is the 1&done rule ending??
philbert
Worrying about how a billionaire spends his money isn't high up on my list of things to worry about, especially when he doesn't seem too worried about it. More owners should spend like Lacob....although he really should pay the Coliseum arena debt.

BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom said:

philbert said:

I read that when you add in the luxury tax penalty, his $14+M salary will balloon to cost the org $80M. OUCH.
I'm also worried about what they'd have to give up in order for OKC to let him go. Word was OKC would want very little, b/c they just don't want his contract, but a year ago he averaged 18 ppg on 34% 3pters.

There are a number of other adds the warriors could get, but they aren't going to be able to collect much revenue this season from seating and so they are going to be losing a lot of money until COVID clears, I'd imagine.

This year looks like crap. Maybe we can tank again and get 2 more lottery picks next year.

What do you categorize as crap. Curry, Oubre, Wiggins, Green, Wiseman may not be going to a championship, but should be solid and entertaining.
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

philbert said:

HoopDreams said:

philbert said:

good offense
bad defense

You never expect a lot from pick 48, but he went a lot later than expected. Doesn't mean he will contribute anything, but he is a good pick at 48.
Big C
OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

philbert said:

HoopDreams said:

philbert said:

good offense
bad defense

You never expect a lot from pick 48, but he went a lot later than expected. Doesn't mean he will contribute anything, but he is a good pick at 48.

You are where you went.

The teams drafting 25-47 aren't as dumb as I look.
philbert
Not too bad

concordtom
philbert said:

Worrying about how a billionaire spends his money isn't high up on my list of things to worry about, especially when he doesn't seem too worried about it. More owners should spend like Lacob....although he really should pay the Coliseum arena debt.

lol !
concordtom
"crap" means, "F***! Klay is hurt again!"

...hurt feelings.
Kaworu
OaktownBear said:

concordtom said:

philbert said:

What do you categorize as crap. Curry, Oubre, Wiggins, Green, Wiseman may not be going to a championship, but should be solid and entertaining.
That's another lottery pick waiting to happen, which honestly is probably better in the long term for the team. I think the days of contending for championships are over unless they can bring someone in that is a Top 5 player in the league and Klay may never be fully healthy again.
joe amos yaks
I thought the W's were finalizing the trade for OkCitie's F Kelly Oubre Jr.for their 2021 protected 1st round pick ... plus pursuing others.
philbert
joe amos yaks said:

I thought the W's were finalizing the trade for OkCitie's F Kelly Oubre Jr.for their 2021 protected 1st round pick ... plus pursuing others.
Free agency starts on Friday, I believe. Dubs have the taxpayer mid-level exception and possibly the disabled player exception.
joe amos yaks
Keep G Wiggins or trade Wiggins+ for some mix of the following:
Bulls LaVine;
Spurs' DeRozen + Gay;
OMagic's Fournier; or
Kings' Hield + Holmes.
dimitrig
joe amos yaks said:

Keep G Wiggins or trade Wiggins+ for some mix of the following:
Bulls LaVine;
Spurs' DeRozen + Gay;
OMagic's Fournier; or
Kings' Hield + Holmes.

You seem to have a high opinion of Wiggins. I doubt other teams hold him in such regard.

Of the trades you propose, Fournier would be the best match talentwise.

They have the exact same PER and are ranked #108 in the NBA.

I would actually prefer Fournier because he is a better shooter, but Wiggins is younger.

I might consider that trade except for the fact that Wiggins makes big bucks.

I wouldn't want to take on that contract. $30M/year? Yikes!!!

I could see trading him for Hield but why would the Kings want to include Holmes?

joe amos yaks
I don't have an opinion on Wiggins other than he's very talented, but not a great fit.
That's for Coach Kerr and the coaches to say. And he costs $Big bucks.
Need -- talent -- fit -- availability -- cost. That's forGM Myers to say.
philbert
philbert said:

concordtom said:

Exactly! Most 2nd rounders aren't going to make it to the NBA and if they do, it'll be for a cup of coffee. They're basically lottery tickets for the team that picks them. No one knows how they will develop over time.

That being said, there are roster spots at the end of the bench that are available on every team every season. Mannion could easily take Ky Bowman's spot, assuming Bowman has a spot on the team (he has a non-guaranteed contract for next season). More likely, he'll get a 2 way contract and start in SC.

Guess I was on the right track.

concordtom
That's a heck of a photo to show your grandkids one day to prove that you played in the NBA.
concordtom
So, do we actually keep Oubre? Or is he trade material?
What about JJ Redick? 45% from 3! I'd love him as a 2nd team guy - would be hard to play him and steph at same time (defense).
Next couple hours, or days, could be fairly interesting. Warriors Lacob is looking to spend an incredible amount of money.

Could be a collection of 1 year fill-ins.
BearSD
joe amos yaks said:

I don't have an opinion on Wiggins other than he's very talented, but not a great fit.

Wiggins will score a lot of points. The Dubs now have a more pressing need for that than they thought they had a few days ago.

If you're going to trade Wiggins, you need to get a player or players in return who put up points in big bunches.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.