What should the Warriors do with the number 2 pick

13,872 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Revamp the roster? Supposedly they are in talks to trade down. They could go the more traditional route and draft a center to challenge Lakers' size (this is probably a trade down and selecting Wiseman). There are a lot of good shooters high up on mock drafts. Most show the Warriors taking a shooting forward from Israel which is more in line with the Warriors offensive scheme. There also is Ball, bu6 on a team already loaded with good shooters his size do you want him and all the baggage that comes with his dad?

BeachedBear
wifeisafurd said:

Revamp the roster? Supposedly they are in talks to trade down. They could go the more traditional route and draft a center to challenge Lakers' size (this is probably a trade down and selecting Wiseman). There are a lot of good shooters high up on mock drafts. Most show the Warriors taking a shooting forward from Israel which is more in line with the Warriors offensive scheme. There also is Ball, bu6 on a team already loaded with good shooters his size do you want him and all the baggage that comes with his dad?

I think the Dubs need to structure for a championship in the next few years by adding missing pieces - and then rebuild. I'm not impressed with the top of this years draft class and don't see any draftees helping in the short term. I would trade down or package for a trade (key player or future picks).

But then again, I didn't thing Steph, Klay or Draymond would have the impact they have had when drafted.
75bear
This is the (multi)million dollar question.

If they think they can challenge for a title this season, you have to trade the pick and get some veteran help. A rookie, no matter how highly rated, won't have a huge impact in Year 1, and can't be relied upon in a Finals series.

If they think a title isn't in the cards (Klay not healthy, Lakers too insurmountable, etc) then you can consider keeping the pick.

I suspect the Warriors consider themselves a title contender (Championship windows are historically short), so I'm guessing they trade the pick assuming they can get a reasonable return. Maybe Wiggins plus the pick for a stud.
HearstMining
I'd love watching the Warriors even if I wasn't a Bay Area guy, but I think they have a two-year window with Steph, Draymond, and Klay. Steph is starting his 11th season and age plus his porcelain ankles will take a toll on his quickness which is the core of his game. Nagging injuries are already impeding Draymond's ability to play with the controlled (and occasionally uncontrolled) fury that he needs to be his best and his 3pt shot is now unreliable. Interestingly, I think Klay could play for years to come. He's long, plays smart defense, and can knock down a shot with a hand in his face.

• I'd prioritize looking for that Draymond replacement, first. Can Paschall take on that roll? I haven't seen enough of him to know.
  • Based on the blurbs I've read, the projected top picks are all frosh/soph and doubt they have the ability to contribute much the first couple of years. I'd trade down or even trade the pick for a younger but experienced player to back up Draymond.
  • I do like what little I've read about Killian Hayes so you could go the route of grooming a successor for Steph and also having him play with Klay and Steph in a small line-up.
  • I'd stay away from LaMelo. Let him/Dad ruin the dynamics on another team.
helltopay1
Trade doen. Edwards will be gone and LaMelo is way too risky...
calumnus
HearstMining said:

I'd love watching the Warriors even if I wasn't a Bay Area guy, but I think they have a two-year window with Steph, Draymond, and Klay. Steph is starting his 11th season and age plus his porcelain ankles will take a toll on his quickness which is the core of his game. Nagging injuries are already impeding Draymond's ability to play with the controlled (and occasionally uncontrolled) fury that he needs to be his best and his 3pt shot is now unreliable. Interestingly, I think Klay could play for years to come. He's long, plays smart defense, and can knock down a shot with a hand in his face.

• I'd prioritize looking for that Draymond replacement, first. Can Paschall take on that roll? I haven't seen enough of him to know.
  • Based on the blurbs I've read, the projected top picks are all frosh/soph and doubt they have the ability to contribute much the first couple of years. I'd trade down or even trade the pick for a younger but experienced player to back up Draymond.
  • I do like what little I've read about Killian Hayes so you could go the route of grooming a successor for Steph and also having him play with Klay and Steph in a small line-up.
  • I'd stay away from LaMelo. Let him/Dad ruin the dynamics on another team.

I really like Obi Toppin out of Dayton. The consensus College POY for good reason: 6'9" with hops and 7'2" wingspan, smart, great passer, good defender, sets picks, great dunker on the pick and roll and deadly from 3. He would be a great fit on the Dubs from day one and immediately make them a title contender.
MilleniaBear
Stay away from the Balls. If they sign Dwight Howard (or equal) they can take the Iowa St guard Haliburton. He can help now AND be a building block for the future. All but Ball have tremendous potential in the top 8 picks.

Everything is a waste if Draymond shows up overweight again. Draymond at 250 is a shell of himself versus at 230. He thought he could play himself into playoff shape and it didn't work. Klay needs to be lean too. Curry could use about 5 more pounds of lower leg muscle to avoid getting crushed. The second team is OK as long as you get somebody like Howard.
BC Calfan
Regardless of Ball bringing his Dad into play, I just don't see it with him. His best attribute is his passing? Well, how many truly great passers are there in the NBA? Very few. He's super ball dominant even for a point guard. But the least impressive part is his athleticism to me. He just looks sloooow. No fast twitch. His moves are telegraphed and predictable. There's no way Kerr and Myers are interested. Leave it to the bad GMs to take him.

I do love Halliburton. He's the safest choice. If the Warriors can't move the pick, they should take him at #2 even though all the mocks have him going later. Possible low ceiling but definitely highest floor of the early picks.
Beardog26
I think Myers, Kerr and the scouting staff don't view the top level talent in this class as being likely to play a big role on a championship level team next year or in the short term. With a dearth of guys ready to contribute immediately, I believe they'll trade down, or out entirely, in exchange for a player or players who can help them win title(s) during the relatively short championship window which remains open now but will be narrowing as the incredible championship core of Steph, Klay snd Draymond gets older.
philbert
This is the first prospect I've heard them take a visit to see in person.

BC Calfan
Beardog26 said:

I think Myers, Kerr and the scouting staff don't view the top level talent in this class as being likely to play a big role on a championship level team next year or in the short term. With a dearth of guys ready to contribute immediately, I believe they'll trade down, or out entirely, in exchange for a player or players who can help them win title(s) during the relatively short championship window which remains open now but will be narrowing as the incredible championship core of Steph, Klay snd Draymond gets older.
Agreed. However, other front offices most likely feel the same way. They're going to have to find a trade partner that sees value with that #2 pick in a very shallow draft class. So they better hope a team falls in love with somebody like Wiseman or else they won't be able to move the pick. There are some dumb GMs out there that are under a lot of pressure so maybe they can get a good deal by trading down.
Beardog26
Agreed across the board. They also have Minnesota's 1st rounder next year (top three protected, I think) and a trade exception to work with. They could also throw Wiggins (or possibly Paschal, who I really like, or Christ) into a deal to get a possible star or high level third scorer in return.

Fortunately for the Ws. They have assets to work with to fill out a championship caliber roster. It won't be easy, but Myers is good. We'll see ...
BearSD
HearstMining said:

I'd love watching the Warriors even if I wasn't a Bay Area guy, but I think they have a two-year window with Steph, Draymond, and Klay.
This means, forget about the kids at the top of this draft, and find a way to trade this pick, plus maybe next year's Minnesota pick as well, for a player or players who can help the W's win this season and next.

The plan should not be to draft some guy who will make his first all-star team in 2025 or later, when Steph's number is already hanging in the rafters at Chase Center.
BigDaddyBear
Don't overthink it. Anthony Edwards or James Wiseman. I assume Minny takes one of them and W's should take whoever is left. When you're lucky enough to get a top pick, you have to swing for the fences.
philbert
I'd be fine with Wiseman since they'll need more guys to try and match up with A. Davis in the coming years.

Tough to figure out what the Dubs will do. They are leaking news that they like every single prospect that's projected to go in the lottery. Maybe they're trying to drive up interest in someone making a trade.
Post removed:
by user
CaGoldenBears02
Frustrating that the dubs have the #2 in a year where there's no clear value there. I just hope if they trade down, they do it smartly. I think I trust Meyer on that. And no Ball under any circumstances.
HoopDreams
I think they hoped their Oregon guy would be Green 2.0

Stanford Jonah said:

BearSD said:

HearstMining said:

I'd love watching the Warriors even if I wasn't a Bay Area guy, but I think they have a two-year window with Steph, Draymond, and Klay.
This means, forget about the kids at the top of this draft, and find a way to trade this pick, plus maybe next year's Minnesota pick as well, for a player or players who can help the W's win this season and next.

The plan should not be to draft some guy who will make his first all-star team in 2025 or later, when Steph's number is already hanging in the rafters at Chase Center.
I don't agree.

Draymond is already in decline. If they want to be competitive in the short-term, I'd chase a top-tier free agent like they did with Durant. I'd use that pick to address what comes after Steph starts to decline.
philbert
They are way over the cap and don't have any cap space to sign a big time free agent. They can acquire more significant guys with their 17M trade exception and/or via a standard trade.
dimitrig

Historically, the #2 pick in the draft is a crap shoot:

History of the NBA Draft Pick #2

You might get Kevin Durant, Jason Kidd, Alonzo Mourning, LaMarcus Aldridge, or Gary Payton.

Victor Oladipo, Brandon Ingram, and Ja Morant are more likely on the UPSIDE. The downside can be much worse. Stromile Swift, anyone?

Only about half of #2 picks ever make a single All-Star game.

So the question you have to ask is: how good is this draft class?

I have read that while this draft class is pretty deep the talent at the top is thin. If that's true, then in this environment I would trade the pick away - hopefully getting a player and another pick back. The odds of getting a guy like Mourning who averaged 20/10 out of the gate seem low.

Of course, if you think Edwards or Ball can be that guy who can contribute right away (or even a few years from now) then keep the pick and draft him.

History says you will be about 50/50 taking that gamble.

BearSD
dimitrig said:

You might get Kevin Durant, Jason Kidd, Alonzo Mourning, LaMarcus Aldridge, or Gary Payton.

Victor Oladipo, Brandon Ingram, and Ja Morant are more likely on the UPSIDE. The downside can be much worse. Stromile Swift, anyone?
Darko Milicic. Chosen by the Pistons with the 2nd pick in the draft. Remember him?

dimitrig
BearSD said:

dimitrig said:

Darko Milicic. Chosen by the Pistons with the 2nd pick in the draft. Remember him?

I see your Darko and I raise you an Anthony Bennett (a #1 pick) who was in the same draft as (but drafted 14 spots ahead of) Giannis. Ouch!

calumnus
BigDaddyBear said:

Don't overthink it. Anthony Edwards or James Wiseman. I assume Minny takes one of them and W's should take whoever is left. When you're lucky enough to get a top pick, you have to swing for the fences.

I understand Wiseman if he is available, but everyone who is touting Edwards for the Warriors sees him as being "great coming off the bench." The Warriors' need is on the front line to make a run with Curry and Thompson. Worry about replacing them when the time comes.
BearSD
dimitrig said:

BearSD said:

dimitrig said:

I see your Darko and I raise you an Anthony Bennett (a #1 pick) who was in the same draft as (but drafted 14 spots ahead of) Giannis. Ouch!
Lots of teams whiffed on Giannis, but Bennett is bad even if you just consider the Cavs could have taken Victor Oladipo, who was chosen #2.

The Basketball Reference site has a list of past drafts with the career statistics for each player chosen in that draft, so that you can compare Bennett's career VORP of -1.3 to Giannis' 30.4 or Oladipo's 10.8. Or, compare 2003 #2 Darko's -0.9 to the 3, 4, and 5 picks in that draft, Carmelo Anthony (35.6), Chris Bosh (31.1), and Dwyane Wade.(62.8)..
ColoradoBear
The Warriors should take whomever the Bucks tell them to take... before trading that player to the Bucks.

Just don't package Klay in that deal.
calumnus
ColoradoBear said:

The Warriors should take whomever the Bucks tell them to take... before trading that player to the Bucks.

I like this idea. Do the Warriors have cap room?
philbert
calumnus said:

ColoradoBear said:

I like this idea. Do the Warriors have cap room?
For Giannis? Yes, as long as they include someone like Wiggins in a deal. Next offseason, assuming a sign and trade, would be much harder. They'd have to include two of the big 4 salaries.
Bobodeluxe
Sell it for cash to pay the Oakland Colosseum dept.
CaGoldenBears02
I think I'd prefer Wiseman or a smart trade down with good return value
AunBear89
Who cares? This is a Cal men's hoop board. There are plenty of places to discuss the Dubs with people who give a f&ck.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
oski003
I think they should use the pick and try to sell their non-gimpy players for more draft picks. it is rebuilding time. Too much talent down south.
bearmanpg
oski003 said:

I think they should use the pick and try to sell their non-gimpy players for more draft picks. it is rebuilding time. Too much talent down south.
Can't beat down south with draft picks at least for the next 5 years (I don't think Lebron slowing down is going to lead to their downfall)
TheNastybear
Trade it if they can. If not, I like Anthony Edwards if he doesn't go #1.
calumnus
TheNastybear said:

Again, I don't see Edwards as a good fit for the Warriors, both in position and in style of play (ball hog), but the experts seem to agree with you.

Interesting that Warriors might trade picks with the Wolves?

BearSD
calumnus said:

TheNastybear said:

Again, I don't see Edwards as a good fit for the Warriors, both in position and in style of play (ball hog), but the experts seem to agree with you.

Interesting that Warriors might trade picks with the Wolves?
Forget trading with the Wolves, it's not worth it. If Minny takes Wiseman, or trades the pick to a team who takes Wiseman, then either trade down and take Okongwu or just take Okongwu with the 2nd pick.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.