What should the Warriors do with the number 2 pick

14,090 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
two pac 12 PGs that didn't impress me are projected first round:

Nico due to his defense, and Terry due to his overall package (and I guess his attitude was part of my negative impression)

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/29861481/nba-draft-2020-perfect-picks-every-team-first-round
Big C

Terry must have been impressive in some other games because he didn't look at all special against us. Mannion seems to be existing on his his reputation averaged over the past three years.

Wouldn't that be a surprise if Ball went with the first pick and Anthony Edwards slipped to number four?!?
bearister

There's Never Been a Better Time to Go Undrafted - The Ringer

https://www.theringer.com/2020/11/16/21566647/nba-undrafted-alex-caruso-duncan-robinson
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearmanpg
bearister said:

There's Never Been a Better Time to Go Undrafted - The Ringer

https://www.theringer.com/2020/11/16/21566647/nba-undrafted-alex-caruso-duncan-robinson
Numbers 3 and 5 were on the same HS team along with Lonzo......It was a freakishly athletic team for HS....too bad that two of them had a moron for a father.....The father effed this team up too.....
Post removed:
by user
bearister
2020 NBA Draft scouting report: CJ Elleby - Peachtree Hoops

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020/9/20/21439067/cj-elleby-2020-nba-draft-scouting-report-washington-state-atlanta-hawks-shooting-video-analysis
Post removed:
by user
bearister
I sure do. He has really stood out to me. His motor is like Michael Bloomfield's was. CJ Elleby Rocks Hard!

helltopay1
trade with Cal...Give cal both Mahaney and Lewis in return for future Cal signees, cash, Mike Williams , the Berkeley City Council, and players and concessions to be named later. In a heartbeat...
philbert

concordtom
I spent a lot of time on the draft yesterday (and prior).

Expect some trades by multiple teams. None of the top players and sure fire fits for Minnesota or GS. Both are shopping moving down. I've read of SIX potential Warriors picks.

But what will teams be willing to part with to move up? It's a relatively weak draft.

The NBA is said to allow high schoolers back in (no more 1 and done) and so the draft when that hits (1-3 years?) could be a big one, double the # of top prospects. It could make sense to load up on lottery picks in that draft.
concordtom
philbert said:

W's #2 for Bulls #4 and Wendel Carter Jr?

Aside from trying to guess a trade that may or may not happen, prognosticators are going with:

1. Edwards to Minn
2. Wiseman to Warriors
3. Ball to Charlotte

Wiseman + is that W's need bigs.
Wiseman - is that W's don't have time to wait for him to develop.

I'd expect a trade from W's. This Bulls trade sounds as fair as any I've read. They'd still get Halliburton or Deni.

Wendell Andre Carter Jr.
Position: Center
Shoots: Right
6-9, 270lb
21 Years old
1 year at Duke
NBA draft: 2018 (Round: 1 / Pick: 7)
2 seasons,
27.2 mins per game.
10.8 pts and 8.2 boards per game.
Cannot shoot the 3-ball at all.
76% FT's.
concordtom
This article made me shy away from Anthony Edwards.
He doesn't seem to have a passion for hoops. The article didn't seem to mention a father, and his mother and grandmother died. He has older siblings and an uncle mentor, but it just seems like he could be one of those guys who didn't live up to the potential.

Jordan was a great athlete, but what made Jordan "MJ" was his motor, and that is true of so many top athletes. Once you get to that level, it's the mental game. He doesn't seem mentally focused. He had many games in single digits.

(Meanwhile, Halliburton was said to be THE BEST EVER pre-draft interview by a guy now on ESPN, formerly working drafts in the NBA. That kind of thing magnifies into the type of career one ultimately has, big time!)

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30321844/the-pain-promise-top-nba-draft-prospect-anthony-edwards
concordtom
[url=https://twitter.com/kelseyyrusso][/url]Kelsey Russo

@kelseyyrusso
[url=https://twitter.com/kelseyyrusso][/url]
The Cavs and Knicks have discussed trading the No. 5 pick for 8 and 23, but the Cavs are holding out for more, sources told @TheAthleticNBA. For reference, the Pelicans and Hawks swapped 4 for 8, 17 and 35, among other pieces, in a draft-day deal last year.
concordtom
6 hours ago The Knicks traded the No. 27 and 38 picks to the Utah Jazz for the No. 23 selection in the 2020 NBA Draft, ESPN.com reported.
HoopDreams
the wild card in the draft is Ball
like his brother, he could be all world or a waste of a high pick
very much a wild card
but seems like he's dropping a little now

warriors need an immediate impact player, hopefully a center, but they also need defenders that can guard the two headed monster of LeBron and Davis

p.s. didn't seem that Iggy did as well on LeBron this year as in the past
concordtom
This is in an article of complete speculation:

*Atlanta Hawks Receive: No. 2 overall pick, C Kevon Looney

*Golden State Warriors Receive: No. 6 overall pick, C Clint Capela

I don't give it any credence.
philbert
I know nothing about Carter's game. Is he mobile? Can he play defense? Block shots? Pass? Given his measurables, I think they'd want him to have a more well-rounded game.
concordtom
I don't know Carter at all, either.
I think he's just a BIG guy. They do need big guys, and he's a couple years older, so...

Maybe they really like Deni at 4. And they get a big.

You have to think that it's going to take Wiseman a bit of time to learn how to play NBA. Last level he played (other than 3 games) was high school ball.

Here are the 6 potential W's trades that someone sketched a couple days ago:

https://bluemanhoop.com/2020/11/16/golden-state-warriors-draft-day-trades-consider/
concordtom
Highlights with Bulls, posted 4 months ago.
The Bulls must have put this out there knowing they were going to be advertising him, haha.

Nice stroke, but it's very slow. He makes some 3's but I notice he shot only 20%. Perhaps that can improve.

concordtom
Bio commentary video, 6 days ago.

concordtom
This guy talks about the potential trade from the Bulls perspective. He thinks the W's have floated it in order to attract more offer for the #2 pick. He thinks the W's are going to keep and pick Wiseman. He thinks the Bulls want Ball.

concordtom
Vince Carter and Kendrick Perkins on ESPN The Jump say the W's should NOT make this trade.
This guy says the Warriors definitely should.

Big C

Obviously I won't get my hopes up, but what I'd really like to see is for the Warriors to use their #2 pick on Paris Austin!

If you can't tell, I'm a little less keen on the Warriors lately. Anyway, if they did this, when they wore their new, special-occasion "Oakland" jerseys* next season, at least they'd be walkin' the Oakland walk a little bit more. Also be great pub for Cal and for the Cal-O'Dowd connection.

* seriously, they played in Oakland for almost 50 years and never even uttered the word and now, after they move to fancy corporate digs in SF, they're going to revel in Oakland nostalgia? eff dem
concordtom
Long review of Deni:
concordtom
Deni declaring for draft on GET UP! interview.

concordtom
If this trade happens, or any trade, I imagine we wouldn't hear about it until AFTER the 2nd guy is picked.

So, let's wait until the night is over before we get locked in on any 1 player.

W's could take Wiseman, and then wait for a long time to announce that he's been traded, after their counter party has become drafted as well. This seems to happen every year. Drafted guys can't give any quotes on the team drafting them right away because they are advised that they could be traded at any time. Hold your breath.
philbert
This could alter their plans.

helltopay1
Hello Edwards....Insurance for clay...
bearister
"Anyway, if they did this, when they wore their new, special-occasion "Oakland" jerseys* next season, at least they'd be walkin' the Oakland walk a little bit more."

They don't get to walk that walk until Lacob writes Oakland a check for $47,000,000 to cover the cost of renovations dispute he lost twice and now is frivolously appealing.
HoopDreams
espn:

Strengths
- Incredible frame standing over 7-feet in shoes and 250 pounds with a 7-5 wingspan and gigantic standing reach. Exceptional athlete for his size in terms of his ability to get up and down the floor, cover ground and elevate around the rim quickly with explosiveness and power.
- Has a good skill set. Agile in the post and as a pick-and-roll finisher with impressive body control. Capable of handling and creating for himself. Shows some creativity with his footwork. Has a soft touch around the rim and even extending out to 3.
- Impact player as a rim protector when locked in and operating at maximum intensity thanks to his reach, timing and quickness. Also capable of switching on the perimeter with excellent mobility.

Improvement areas
- Feel for the game is a work in progress on both ends. Average passer who shows questionable instincts and awareness defensively, especially guarding pick-and-rolls. Can be foul-prone.
- Doesn't always know his best role offensively. Has been intent on proving his skill on the perimeter rather than using his frame to his advantage inside the paint. Elongated release, side spin and questionable percentages from the free throw line raise doubts about his shooting ability.
- Has left scouts wanting more at times in terms of his offensive efficiency, rebounding and defensive impact. Has stretches in which he looks like he's in cruise control.

Projected role: Franchise center

--Jonathan Givony

Post-Draft Analysis
The Warriors explored many different scenarios, including trading back or out of the draft, before ultimately deciding to pick James Wiseman. A last-minute injury to Klay Thompson did not alter their plans, signaling that the Warriors feel comfortable attempting to return to the NBA Finals with Andrew Wiggins shouldering a heavy offensive load alongside Stephen Curry.

The Warriors were said to be torn between the long-term upside of LaMelo Ball and the immediate fix Wiseman would bring with his strong natural tools at the center position, ultimately electing to go with Wiseman. He'll bring an ideal combination of size, length, strength and physicality along with excellent finishing ability, rebounding prowess and a huge presence defensively inside the paint. -- Jonathan Givony
concordtom
Edwards coulda taken klay's spot...
But we need size, too, so.
concordtom
I'm very surprised that none of the top lottery trades occurred.

I'm happy we got wiseman.

Who can fill Klay's SG spot?
We are still very short on depth. I fear Poole is a bust!!
concordtom
Will the W's get any salary cap penalty relief due to Klay's injury (Achilles) knocking him out another season?
Can we use that money to sign a couple free agents?

(See: disabled player exemption - luxury tax)

https://basketball.realgm.com/article/240416/CBA-Encyclopedia-Disabled-Player-Exception

Here's a list of ALL free agents. Time to go shopping for a 1-year stud.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20229609/nba-free-agents-team-team-lists-2020-2021
philbert
concordtom said:

Will the W's get any salary cap penalty relief due to Klay's injury (Achilles) knocking him out another season?
Can we use that money to sign a couple free agents?

(See: disabled player exemption - luxury tax)

https://basketball.realgm.com/article/240416/CBA-Encyclopedia-Disabled-Player-Exception

Here's a list of ALL free agents. Time to go shopping for a 1-year stud.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20229609/nba-free-agents-team-team-lists-2020-2021
The amount of the Disabled Player Exception is the lesser of half the injured player's salary or the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception

So in this case, it's worth about 9.3M, assuming they apply for it and are approved. You won't get a stud for that amount.

They have a shot to get a good rotation player if they can work out a deal with their 17.2M trade exception, but they'll likely have to give up something.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.