Open practice 8/4

5,887 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Schroeder71
chimera
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wvitbear said:

Stanfords two guards when they won the National Championship were only 5'8". They had a lot of height in the front court though.
smh
BearBint said:

Join us for an open practice in Haas Pavilion to get a first look at the 2022-23 Cal Women's Basketball team!
Date: August 4, 2022
Time: 5pm - 7pm
streaming options? last minute out of town / stay at home smh is emailing shallowhorn for advice, and'll post it here if anything's learned.
stu
A few random observations:

Alma is in Sweden with another knee injury. She'll join the team in Croatia and be in Berkeley for the fall semester. Dunno if she'll be playing.

Bela was sick and didn't appear.

Leilani and Jazlen were both in class. They came in very late and didn't practice other than shooting.

Jayda didn't practice but was there and riding on a stationary cycle.

Karisma was wearing a large knee brace but practiced at full intensity, mostly at PG.

Jadyn looked like her knees were killing her and had to take a few breaks. She also looks a little smaller than I remember, may have lost a bit of weight. Same obvious experience and great hustle.

Claudia looks pretty good and can shoot the ball. The coaches were telling her to shoot threes.

Sela looks healthy and was effective inside against the male practice players.

Ornela looks quicker and more confident, hit some threes.

Kemery looked OK but she's nowhere near 6' tall. I'd guess more like 5'9".

Amaya looks quick and athletic but has a very flat shot.

Peanut looked strong and experienced.

Evelien. as usual, worked harder than everyone else.

Michelle had some nice rebounds and inside baskets. Even tried a windmill dunk at the end but it didn't go in.

Mia hit some shots, if she can keep that up it will be a big help.

Charmin was engaging as always. Eliza was wearing a straight-leg knee brace, said she hurt it playing but it's not seriously damaged.

During lulls in the practice I saw a large number of half-court shots. A few hit the rim but none went in.
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

Jazlen Green is tall (5-11) and slender. Maybe you meant Jayda Curry?
sorry, yes.
I meant Curry.
HoopDreams
stu said:

A few random observations:

Alma is in Sweden with another knee injury. She'll join the team in Croatia and be in Berkeley for the fall semester. Dunno if she'll be playing.

Bela was sick and didn't appear.

Leilani and Jazlen were both in class. They came in very late and didn't practice other than shooting.

Jayda didn't practice but was there and riding on a stationary cycle.

Karisma was wearing a large knee brace but practiced at full intensity, mostly at PG.

Jadyn looked like her knees were killing her and had to take a few breaks. She also looks a little smaller than I remember, may have lost a bit of weight. Same obvious experience and great hustle.

Claudia looks pretty good and can shoot the ball. The coaches were telling her to shoot threes.

Sela looks healthy and was effective inside against the male practice players.

Ornela looks quicker and more confident, hit some threes.

Kemery looked OK but she's nowhere near 6' tall. I'd guess more like 5'9".

Amaya looks quick and athletic but has a very flat shot.

Peanut looked strong and experienced.

Evelien. as usual, worked harder than everyone else.

Michelle had some nice rebounds and inside baskets. Even tried a windmill dunk at the end but it didn't go in.

Mia hit some shots, if she can keep that up it will be a big help.

Charmin was engaging as always. Eliza was wearing a straight-leg knee brace, said she hurt it playing but it's not seriously damaged.

During lulls in the practice I saw a large number of half-court shots. A few hit the rim but none went in.

Thanks for the scouting report. Disappointing to hear about the injuries. Hopefully our depth will mean the injuries won't have as big an impact as prior years
Schroeder71
stu-thank you for providing information on the open practice. Why have the open practice if the starting trio of guards (Jayda Curry, Leilani McIntosh & Jazlen Green) could not participate? What is Curry's injury? Was it previously reported here? Cal will lose every game that she cannot participate (IMO).

It appears that nine players practiced and were healthy: five inside players and only four guards. The Bears were supposed to possess ten guards/wings and six frontline players.

How could Kemery Martin, Karisma Ortiz, Amaya Bonner, Mia Mastrov & Ornela Muca not look good when the team's top three guards were not practicing? Good news reported concerning Peanut Tuitele, Evelien Lutje-Schipholt, Michelle Onyiah, Sela Heide & Claudia Langarita. Thank goodness Cal has three new transfers and a incoming freshman that gives the Bears four healthy bodies! Even our assistant coach,Eliza Pierre, is wearing a knee brace.

Will the top three guards be available for the three games in Europe? Are others staying home to attend classes?
Good luck & GO BEARS!

stu
Schroeder71 said:

Why have the open practice if the starting trio of guards (Jayda Curry, Leilani McIntosh & Jazlen Green) could not participate? What is Curry's injury? Was it previously reported here? Cal will lose every game that she cannot participate (IMO).
I assume whoever is available will practice because it helps both the players and the team. I don't know how serious Jayda's injury is or when she might resume practice or play in games.

Quote:

How could Kemery Martin, Karisma Ortiz, Amaya Bonner, Mia Mastrov & Ornela Muca not look good when the team's top three guards were not practicing?
They played mostly against the male practice players.

Quote:

Will the top three guards be available for the three games in Europe? Are others staying home to attend classes?
I don't know about Jayda. Charmin said those with summer classes will take the trip and finish the classes when they return.
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

stu-thank you for providing information on the open practice. Why have the open practice if the starting trio of guards (Jayda Curry, Leilani McIntosh & Jazlen Green) could not participate? What is Curry's injury? Was it previously reported here? Cal will lose every game that she cannot participate (IMO).

It appears that nine players practiced and were healthy: five inside players and only four guards. The Bears were supposed to possess ten guards/wings and six frontline players.

How could Kemery Martin, Karisma Ortiz, Amaya Bonner, Mia Mastrov & Ornela Muca not look good when the team's top three guards were not practicing? Good news reported concerning Peanut Tuitele, Evelien Lutje-Schipholt, Michelle Onyiah, Sela Heide & Claudia Langarita. Thank goodness Cal has three new transfers and a incoming freshman that gives the Bears four healthy bodies! Even are assistant coach,Eliza Pierre, is wearing a knee brace.

Good luck & GO BEARS!

Please, just chill!! No hysterics on August 4, please!!

Jayda looked fine moving around the court. She participated in a team shooting drill at the end. Not sure she is even injured.

Jazzy and Leilani were at class during most of the practice but dressed and did some individual drills at the end.

ALL the players are going to Europe. Alma, who is currently in Sweden, will meet up with the team in Croatia.

I believe the classes end next week for Leilani and Jazzy on Wednesday and then they leave on Thursday.

(To prepare for this trip, the Bears have gotten a BONUS of 10 practice days!!) A head start on the upcoming season! Love it!
wvitbear
S71, why don't you come to the practice? Hard to ask questions because it was hard to hear our coach. Sometimes without a mike and sometimes with a mike.

Got more from observations than questions. I thought it was good the stars were out. I wanted to see the new people.
wvitbear
Three cheers for the male practice players. Four of them were from previous practice teams as since school hadn't started, there were no student practice players.

Male practice players always offer more competition than female counterpoints.
GATC
SFCALBear72 said:

Schroeder71 said:

How could Kemery Martin, Karisma Ortiz, Amaya Bonner, Mia Mastrov & Ornela Muca not look good when the team's top three guards were not practicing? Good news reported concerning Peanut Tuitele, Evelien Lutje-Schipholt, Michelle Onyiah, Sela Heide & Claudia Langarita. Thank goodness Cal has three new transfers and a incoming freshman that gives the Bears four healthy bodies! Even are assistant coach,Eliza Pierre, is wearing a knee brace.

Good luck & GO BEARS!

Please, just chill!! No hysterics on August 4, please!!

Jayda looked fine moving around the court. She participated in a team shooting drill at the end. Not sure she is even injured.

Jazzy and Leilani were at class during most of the practice but dressed and did some individual drills at the end.

ALL the players are going to Europe. Alma, who is currently in Sweden, will meet up with the team in Croatia.

I believe the classes end next week for Leilani and Jazzy on Wednesday and then they leave on Thursday.

(To prepare for this trip, the Bears have gotten a BONUS of 10 practice days!!) A head start on the upcoming season! Love it!

Great to get the extra practice. Seems like the practices focus on specific skills in game situations. The ones Heidi Heintz ran should pay off. We have not been good generating good shots off ball screens.

Stu thanks for the info. Did not know about Alma and Bella. We are three deep with not much falloff from first to third string. A lineup of Karisma, Kemery, Amaya, Peanut and Claudia could probably compete well with our last year's starting lineup (Jazzy starting over Cailyn). Plus you have Mia, Michelle, Sela, Ornella, Alma and Bella. It will be interesting who makes the rotation.
wvitbear
Adding to Stu's fine appraisal.

1. Most athletic player, Bonner and Michele. The windmill dunk that Michele tried at the end of parctice was worth the price of admission (except the event was free).

2. Best long range shooter. Muca by far. She looked very comfortable shooting and handling the ball. Second would be Martin.

3. Most improved: Muca again. Had one moment where she went to the basket, dribbleled behind her back and made a left handed shot

4. Ortiz looks like a point guard but is wearing a big knee brace. And she seems a little slow though she has qall the point guard skills down pat.

5. I like Martin. Didn't shoot much in the beginning, but really shot the three well later. She handles the ball well and passes well. And she is very strong. I think she will help a lot.

6. Eva gets better every year. In superb shape. Has increased her range every year. Her first year she didn't even have a jump shot. Now it is almost out to three point range.

7. A team of Michele, Leilani, Jada, Bonner and Eva is extremely athletic. Bonner is the key as she helps protect the smaller guards defensively.

8. Bella was sick. I would like to have seen her.

9. Sela was not wearing a knee brace. She looked in better shape and a little quicker (though still the slowest player on the team). We need her to provide 10 to 15 minutes of backup work per game.

10. Peanut looks like a bruiser. She is a tweener.
CalFanatic
The Sela news seems pretty big to me. If she's healthy that really allows things to open up for our many talented guards.
stu
CalFanatic said:

The Sela news seems pretty big to me. If she's healthy that really allows things to open up for our many talented guards.
I'm a big Sela fan. She's always composed, never rushes, just calmly does the right thing at both ends.
Ashfield63
My observations: The drills were performed with speed.......on the whole the team appears conditioned. ELS looks leaner, is in great shape and played very well. Sela seems like she has gained in muscle and strength. She is self motivated, and runs well up and down the court. Karisma Ortiz is a very good player brace and all with strength and size. The transfers will definitely add to the team performance.(from Utah and Colorado) MIa, Amaya, and Ornela moved very well. They were in great shape. Wow, Ornela is sinking the three, has increased her speed since playing very well for the Armenian under 20 team this summer. Hopefully, her defensive skills have improved, and she can have more playing time this season.
Charmin said Ms. Stevens, the walkon from Santa Cruz wasnt feeling well, and would not practice today. Unfortunately, Jadyn Bush continues to have problems with her legs. She takes break, but plays very tough when on the court. Hopefully, she will contribute some valuable minutes when needed.

Jayda Curry was practicing foul shots. She doesnt appear to be injured. I am sure her reason for not participating in a full practice is temporary.

It was great to see the team participating in highly spirited, and motivated drills, including some running and pushups!
I was sorry to learn about Alma injury, surely, a difficult time for her.

It was fun to see the players on the court at Haas. I enjoyed the experience. Wishing the Cal players a great trip to Spain and Croatia. Stay Safe.... Go Bears!

Of note: Charmin said Cal will play at Stanford on December 23, 2022. The rematch at Cal is TBA. She encouraged us to attend the game. I like going to games at Stanford, and it is a good way to start the Christmas Holiday weekend.

annarborbear
I wasn't there. Can anyone comment on anything they saw regarding MIchelle to indicate that she may be better able to stay on the court instead of picking up ill-advised fouls? To me, that may be the key to the whole season. Less reaching and not leaving her feet as much would be a start
stu
annarborbear said:

I wasn't there. Can anyone comment on anything they saw regarding MIchelle to indicate that she may be better able to stay on the court instead of picking up ill-advised fouls? To me, that may be the key to the whole season. Less reaching and not leaving her feet as much would be a start
One defensive situation I remember was a close-out drill (with no contact). Another was a full court 4 on 3 with the 4th defender joining late, I think that was to get us used to playing faster. Michelle excels in these situations with her quickness and speed.

There was some half court play but I don't remember Michelle fouling. After Michelle took an early shot from almost 3-point range with a defender right there Charmin mentioned it's OK for a post to take an outside shot but not that outside shot.

GATC
stu said:

annarborbear said:

One defensive situation I remember was a close-out drill (with no contact). Another was a full court 4 on 3 with the 4th defender joining late, I think that was to get us used to playing faster. Michelle excels in these situations with her quickness and speed.

There was some half court play but I don't remember Michelle fouling. After Michelle took an early shot from almost 3-point range with a defender right there Charmin mentioned it's OK for a post to take an outside shot but not that outside shot.

I think the drills will help in that she knows what to do in these situations. She seems to get in trouble when she's lost. She still looks lost in offense too so the offensive drills should help too. It seems to me that Sela and Claudia got much better coaching in high school than Michelle, Fatou and Dalayah.
SFCALBear72
GATC said:

stu said:

annarborbear said:

I think the drills will help in that she knows what to do in these situations. She seems to get in trouble when she's lost. She still looks lost in offense too so the offensive drills should help too. It seems to me that Sela and Claudia got much better coaching in high school than Michelle, Fatou and Dalayah.
Well, Claudia also had the benefit of playing in the FIBA U20 Women's European Championship and getting instruction from Spain's coaching staff. Plus, her one season at USF. That's experience with 3 coaching staffs in less than 2 years.

Michelle has high energy. With a faster pace offense this season, Michelle should thrive with her quickness and athleticism.
wvitbear
Claudia has a low release on her jump shot.
Schroeder71
Claudia Langarita should be excited about the two exhibition games in Spain. Actually, one game is in her home city of Barcelona so she should have some family and friends in attendance. Maybe she can serve as the team's tour guide for sites and food. GO BEARS!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.