Recruiting

28,309 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wbbilluminati
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
stu said:

I'm not surprised a number of highly-rated 2020 bigs are considering Cal. We have a long record (since 2005) of developing posts and we'll have none returning in 2020.

We won't have any returning centers next year, but two PFs with Styles and incoming freshman from overseas
stu
Quote:

We won't have any returning centers next year, but two PFs with Styles and incoming freshman from overseas
That's correct. However Styles will be a senior and I have no idea how well Schipholt will play. Also we'll have no big wings who play inside so I think we should have plenty of playing time for another PF.
wifeisafurd
stu said:

Quote:

That's correct. However Styles will be a senior and I have no idea how well Schipholt will play. Also we'll have no big wings who play inside so I think we should have plenty of playing time for another PF.
Dead on, we can offer bigs playing time.
HoopDreams
Totally agree.
My only point is we will return two 'bigs'

stu said:

Quote:

ncbears
CJ West is not a center?
stu
ncbears said:

CJ West is not a center?
I was talking about 2020. For 2019 we'll have CJ and Chen, as well as Styles ans Schipholt. Also Brown, who can play PF in a pinch.
ncbears
stu said:

ncbears said:

CJ West is not a center?
I was talking about 2020. For 2019 we'll have CJ and Chen, as well as Styles ans Schipholt. Also Brown, who can play PF in a pinch.
Oops. Sorry. Reading too quickly.
HoopDreams

wbbilluminati
Another 2020 post considering Cal:

From Boise, Idaho: Peyton McFarland 6'3" (also considering Utah and Oklahoma)

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/239924
bearwbbfan
As was mentioned, Peyton McFarland is a 6-4 post from Boise, Idaho who plays AAU for the Idaho Hoop Dreams (the same club that Destiny Slocum of Oregon State played for). Being in Idaho, I'm sure it is not easy to get ranked nationally, which is McFarland is not ranked on a lot of services -- but ASGR ranks her as #12 in the country.

She would be a terrific get -- a little raw offensively, but she displays terrific hands, has a very solid frame, runs the court well, and can elevate on her finishes.
wbbilluminati
bearwbbfan said:

As was mentioned, Peyton McFarland is a 6-4 post from Boise, Idaho who plays AAU for the Idaho Hoop Dreams (the same club that Destiny Slocum of Oregon State played for). Being in Idaho, I'm sure it is not easy to get ranked nationally, which is McFarland is not ranked on a lot of services -- but ASGR ranks her as #12 in the country.

She would be a terrific get -- a little raw offensively, but she displays terrific hands, has a very solid frame, runs the court well, and can elevate on her finishes.
Wow #12?

I thought she looked impressive in the highlights i saw online of her post ups/seal.
wbbilluminati
Hoopgurlz made a few updates to their c/o 2020 rankings and among them was the addition of Peyton McFarland at #80.

Here are the little video highlights I had seen. She really looks formidable: big, strong, powerful, athletic, and assertive: https://www.hudl.com/profile/8681472/Peyton-McFarland

Kristine Anigwe was a big-time sleeper or stock riser in her class, perhaps McFarland will be a similar type of find?
wbbilluminati
Found the link to ASGR's top 150 rankings: https://asgrbasketball.com/top-150-players-in-class-of-2020-compiled-by-bret-mccormick-powered-with-asgr-basketball-recruiting-app-kikihunt-fbcmotton-coachcjasgr/

Here's where our other 2020 targets landed: #16 Daniels, #52 Samb, #54 Onyiah, #70 Jenkins, #73 Sadler

Incidentally, with the aforementioned Hoopgurlz updates, thought not a lot of changes overall, I believe all our targets on the list moved up: #14 Daniels, #34 Onyiah, #40 Jenkins, #53 Samb, #80 debut for McFarland (Sadler not ranked)
puget sound cal fan
So Cal is pursuing some talented recruits as usual--let's hope this time we land a couple.
Intuit
Is there any insight about when the recruiting dominoes will start moving in Cal's favor. Cal fans are anxious and hopeful they will soon see a sequence of commitments from 4 and 5 star recruits that will justify expectations that Cal Women's BB is destined to soon return the Pac-12 top 1/3 ranking.

When will there be some clarity for those anticipating that Charmin's 2020 recruiting class will elevate the team's talent and performance ceiling?
Harborview
Ashfield63
I have much faith in Charmin. I am looking forward to the season. C.J. and Jaelyn can score. Hopefully, one or two of the new players can put up the 3 pointers. I feel there will be much energy coming from Charmin and April. Hopefully, Cal can win some games in the Pac-12, coaching matters!
bobbk
At Cal this coming weekend

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/235826
puget sound cal fan
Please let her be the first of the handful of promising candidate bigs to commit to the Bears. Go Charmin!
puget sound cal fan
CJ West has shown herself to be a capable Center in the somewhat limited minutes she's played backing-up Anigwe. Besides Senior eCJ, the Bears have Junior Chen Yue, the tall, Chinese National, who has not seen much action at Cal due to her lack of quickness and athleticism. I believe CJ will acquit herself well at Center replacing Kristine this season, but it's questionable what kind of back-up will be available to her. Without landing at least one top big in this class, the Bears will be shorthanded when Chen is a Senior, and, certainly beyond then.
Finnish Oski
Chen is a 5th year senior.
puget sound cal fan
Landing a couple of top bigs is even more critical.
puget sound cal fan
Charmin and staff did land three 5-star bigs in Samb , Daniels and Oniyiah. Only Jenkins escaped their grasp and committed to $outh Central. Quite a haul for the Bears!
bobbk
Hard for me to believe DeCosta is transferring due to lack of playing time potential. One of the best young players I've ever seen. Clay and willtalk canncertainly add more

ClayK
Apparently, Aquira and Honesty Scott-Grayson (who transferred to Auburn) helped influence each other to go to Baylor.

More important, I think, is that NaLyssa Smith has claimed the four spot at Baylor, and is an elite talent. DeCosta wants to play, and who can blame her?

Tell me again why she has to sit out a year but Cal's new assistant, April Phillips, didn't have to?
wbbilluminati
Huge news, but seems like Cal is (very recently) pretty set at the 3-5 positions, no?

And I agree, Nalyssa Smith is just too good a shooter at her size to leave off the floor or even play out of position to accommodate another talented player.

OBear073akaSMFan
ClayK said:

Tell me again why she has to sit out a year but Cal's new assistant, April Phillips, didn't have to?
If she picks Oregon...she deserves to sit out!
willtalk
DeCosta was never going to play the 4 for Baylor. She was transitioning to the wing and two. That is where her future at the next level lies. They were doing that at Baylor ( I suspect that is why she chose them ), but an early season injury set her back. Her competition for playing time was from the guards and at Baylors level it would be hard to find enough playing time to facilitate that. They expected her to take DI Di's spot but she made a big improvement and is now locked into a starting position at either 2 or 3, which is where Aquira needs to play. Then you add the fact that Bayor picked up a grad transfer and the frosh Oliver ( another guard )
is playing really well, and you have diminished playing time for someone who is still learning a new position.

Last season she missed valuable early time because of injury and this season Egbo, Smith, Bickle and her were suspended for 5 games for some reason. I suspect she was not prepared to miss those early games again.
HoopDreams
hopefully Cal can get back in the game with her. a real talent and would be a nice 3 for our team (position of need)
Intuit
Speaking about recruiting DeCosta, there is also a rumor that the Woman's Basketball team will have an international recruit on campus this weekend for an official visit. This visit seems to have been scheduled quietly with the usual leakers unaware of the visit or recruit's identity.
MoragaBear
Staff
Intuit said:

Speaking about recruiting DeCosta, there is also a rumor that the Woman's Basketball team will have an international recruit on campus this weekend for an official visit. This visit seems to have been scheduled quietly with the usual leakers unaware of the visit or recruit's identity.
I don't know who the usual leakers are supposed to be but the international OV is correct. She plays high level comp and has a very nice perimeter and transition game.
Intuit
"very nice perimeter and transition game."

MB in what league does she currently play? Can you comment on her shot from the 3 point line? Have you seen videos of her game? How did she make a connection with Cal?

MoragaBear
Staff
Intuit said:

"very nice perimeter and transition game."

MB in what league does she currently play? Can you comment on her shot from the 3 point line? Have you seen videos of her game? How did she make a connection with Cal?

Can't get into the league but she also plays FIBA for her family's country. Yes, I've seen videos. She shoots confidently from 3 but needs more consistency. As for connection, Cal's always got their eye out on the international front and their international academic rep makes them a player for many.
Intuit
MB when can we expect the BB program to release the media to publish information on this European recruit?
MoragaBear
Staff
Euro recruits are usually kept quiet to keep other programs off their trail unless word leaks out from someone overseas tweeting about their visit or recruitment. I don't imagine anything will be public till she commits or if she indicates she won't be coming.
wvitbear
The University of California women's team can't comment on any recruit till they sign on the dotted line which I believe is next week.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.