Recruiting

28,322 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wbbilluminati
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Correct. Pretty sure she'll be a part of the class, too.
Baygbear
https://instagr.am/p/B4ehXBNl6pV
CalFanatic
Well there we go!! Charmin and Staff are killing it!
CalFanatic
MoragaBear
Staff
Yup, you got it!
wvitbear
So, I can't still tell where she is from.
MoragaBear
Staff
wvitbear said:

So, I can't still tell where she is from.
Her family is from Albania but she plays for Panathinaikos AC in Greece. She also plays for the U18 Albanian FIBA team.
Intuit

10 minutes of highlights
wvitbear
Sara has a greek name.
wvitbear
The signing date is the 13th of November. Then the coaches can comment.
annarborbear
Lots of good basketball play and IQ in the videos. As usual, will have to see how she measures up against faster, more athletic US players. Would also like to see her overall shooting percentages and what other offers she has had.
Intuit
The videos are encouraging indicating she will become a contributor from behind the 3 pt line.
wvitbear
Since she got to watch us practice and play an exhibition game, she realizes the athletic ability. So I feel good about that. Have we ever signed a player from Albania before?
pearbear
Staff
Lots of skill and plenty of savvy in those clips!

Welcome, Ornela!
Schroeder71
#13 has developed solid fundamentals! Her passing skills are excellent but she'll have to learn how to pass to 6-3 & 6-4 post players at Cal. I bet she misses less layups and wide-open three pointers than her teammates in Berkeley. GO BEARS!
GATC
Schroeder71 said:

#13 has developed solid fundamentals! Her passing skills are excellent but she'll have to learn how to pass to 6-3 & 6-4 post players at Cal. I bet she misses less layups and wide-open three pointers than her teammates in Berkeley. GO BEARS!
Most euros come in with better fundamentals but I think the new drills will make all of the players better. Practicing layups with different combinations of hand and feet and practicing 3's in game situations will make these plays more automatic.
HoopDreams
puget sound cal fan
I expect her (Muca) to be more mature--basketball and otherwise--than average freshmen entering Berkeley due to her experience.
OBear073akaSMFan
HoopDreams said:

• LMU? Thought she would be going to a more elite university known for their BB. Are there any former Rams or Cal Stars players there?
Schroeder71
Did Cal make a concerted effort to land Aquira DeCosta? I'm surprised that she ended up at Loyola Marymount. I guess that I shouldn't be surprise to see another McDonald's AA end up there (remember Gabby Green?). Heck-Kenzie Forbes, another McD AA, transferred from Cal to Harvard.
GoBears635
HoopDreams said:

Do I really care? Not that much. I'm more interested in who we got and who's coming next year.
wbbilluminati
OBear073akaSMFan said:

HoopDreams said:

• LMU? Thought she would be going to a more elite university known for their BB. Are there any former Rams or Cal Stars players there?

LMU was on DeCosta's list first time around, in fact she cut Cal from consideration before LMU at one point (though would later re-add Cal to her finalists). Ironically, our April Phillips might've been the one recruiting DeCosta for LMU out of HS.

Not sure if maybe DeCosta's confidence took a hit after struggling to see the floor much at Baylor, then she just didn't want to take any chances in terms of action by going mid-major, but DeCosta has spoken about academics before so it could be LMU is a fit for her there being another private college like Baylor, presumably smaller classes and not as competitive or daunting as a top public school like Cal.

LMU had a couple good recruits around the time DeCosta was coming out of HS, one of them's father posts here and can likely give was more info, but I remember him saying DeCosta wasn't just giving LMU a shout out, she was genuinely giving them a look during her recruitment.

Final thought, it seems like DeCosta will only overlap 1 semester with their current stars Gipson and Jones (a PG and an undersized forward). After those two leave, the cupboard looks pretty bare. So there really is no other personnel that would impact/determine where/what position DeCosta will play, so my impression is she'll play whatever/wherever she wants or everywhere/everything.
OBear073akaSMFan
Thanks for your reply. Wish the best for her at LMU..except when she plays CAL!
bearwbbfan
2021 6-4 F Latasha Lattimore named Cal in her top-10. She is a top-12 player who hails from Canada. Very athletic.
stu
bearwbbfan said:

2021 6-4 F Latasha Lattimore named Cal in her top-10. She is a top-12 player who hails from Canada. Very athletic.
Will we soon see 5 players 6'3" or more on the court together? High school PF to college PG?
BearBint
stu said:

bearwbbfan said:

Will we soon see 5 players 6'3" or more on the court together? High school PF to college PG?
Triple towers! Quadruple towers! I don't know which coach we owe for all this bounty--probably a combination--but it's a nice way to celebrate Thanksgiving.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
wbbilluminati
bearwbbfan said:

That's wild. Had no inkling we had a shot at her til now. Always been in the top 10-15 by all the rankings, was offered by UConn even! though they are not in her top 10 and I suspect it's because they pulled out having recently gotten a vernal from Amari Berry 6'5".

It's also a great sign because I know Cal did seem to have some mutual interest with Canadian PG from Toronto Shayeann Day-Wilson ranked #28 for 2021 by Prospects Nation.

Phenomenal momentum right now. Who would have thought this would be the vibe right now for Cal WBB just a few months ago?
Schroeder71
Oregon State has two 6-9 girls, one 6-7, another 6-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 & four quality guards to shoot from the outside.

It will take Cal awhile to catch-up in the height category. GO BEARS!
puget sound cal fan
intuit, I agree with your observations about Deja Kelly, the 2020 PG from Texas, but "Prospect Nation" reported she committed to North Carolina. I couldn't be happier with Charmin & Co's haul of three 5-star bigs, and I'm interested in learning what Guards and Wings the Bears are pursuing.
bearwbbfan
If there's one player we could have landed that we missed on (aside from Ionescu), I really wish we could have landed Kat Tudor from Oregon State. She is an absolute sniper from behind the arc. Would have added a lot to the Cal teams with Anigwe.
UrsineMaximus
Schroeder71 said:

Oregon State has two 6-9 girls, one 6-7, another 6-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 & four quality guards to shoot from the outside.

It will take Cal awhile to catch-up in the height category. GO BEARS!
But not in the athletic category. Fine put your tall team up against us, we will counter with a small athletic team that can run and steal from your bigs. That is what coaching is all about and Coach Smith can and will manage that. Which she did exactly against the Hogs. Games are much more than height and talent; the coaching and in-game management is YUGE, especially for a young team.

Go Bears!!
annarborbear
Oregon State does have a chance at being better than they were last year, and not just because of more height being added. Their two new highly-rated freshman posts are starting and playing well, having passed others on the previous roster by. And Tudor is back on the court and shooting well.
wbbilluminati
wbbilluminati said:

bearwbbfan said:

It's also a great sign because I know Cal did seem to have some mutual interest with Canadian PG from Toronto Shayeann Day-Wilson ranked #28 for 2021 by Prospects Nation.

Day-Wilson now has a list of finalists out there that includes Cal. It's almost identical to Lattimore's. One difference I recall was that Day-Wilson's included Harvard (Lattimore's did not).
CalFanatic
Who is the player Cal is recruiting from Miramonte? Mastrov?

I'm still bummed we never really went after Van Dyke (Campo). She's having a great start to the year for UW.
wbbilluminati
CalFanatic said:

Who is the player Cal is recruiting from Miramonte? Mastrov?

I'm still bummed we never really went after Van Dyke (Campo). She's having a great start to the year for UW.
Mastrov is being followed by April on Twitter. That's all I know.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.