2024 Women's Swim Recruiting

11,680 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by OBear073akaSMFan
swimmer19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal women are getting into the recruiting conversation - Finley Anderson from Colorado/Denver Hilltoppers announced her commitment to the 2028 class last night. She's in SwimSwam's BOTR as a backstroke specialist- only 54.2 in the 100 but her 200 is very intriguing at a 1:55.9.

She visited the weekend of September 10th with her Hilltoppers teammate Charlotte Burnham, a BOTR 1:02/2:13 breaststroker.
swimmer19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Writeup on Finley:

SUMMER NATIONALS QUALIFIER FINLEY ANDERSON (2024) GIVES VERBAL COMMITMENT TO CAL

As noted, backstroker with 2IM potential as her day 1 event.
swimmer19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Women have hosted 5 2024 recruits within the past several weeks. Several uncommitted 2023 recruits have also visited Berkeley:

Kinley Wigle (OR, 2023) - 1:01 BR *Verbaled to ASU*
Lindsay Barnes (CA, 2023) - 54.5/1:59 BK, local recruit from Cupertino
Daniela Karnaugh (NJ, 2024) - 1:02 BR, but 1:10/2:32 in LC for Team Trials/US Open
Mackenzie Headley (CT, 2024) - 22.5/49.1, 1:00.8 BR, HS dual sport athlete, SwimSwam #20
Adriana Smith (CA, 2024) - 53.5 BK, local recruit from Orinda
Charlotte Burnham (CO, 2024) - 1:02/2:13 BR, same team as 2024 commit Anderson
LegoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know if Isabel Ivey is still with the program? She did put herself in the portal and you would figure that she would have been snapped up.

Seems like she is still listed in the roster as a 22-23 Graduate? Maybe she's just swimming with the graduate program and preparing for the pros with Durden?
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good question. Isabel Ivey, Alicia Wilson & Reed Broadus have not participated for Cal in the Queen of the Pool competition at Cal Poly nor the swim competition last Friday at Fresno State. All three are listed on the roster.

This week Cal competes in two conference dual meets against Utah (home) & Washington State (away). I would imagine that anyone that is a member of the team would be ready to go unless they are injured. GO BEARS!
LegoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Actually the article about Finley commit indicates that both Ivey and Wilson are still part of the team.

Stadden, Ivey, Spitz, Wilson, McEnroe, and Motekaitis are on the roster again this year, but Stadden is a junior, Spitz and Motekaitis are seniors, and Ivey and Wilson are fifth-years. Only McEnroe, a current sophomore, is likely to be there when Anderson moves to Berkeley
swimmer19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ivey isn't slated to graduate until the end of this semester. Several scenarios for that:

-She remains at Cal and competes in the Spring for her 5th year
-Remains at Cal, but elects to use her 5th year next season (2023-24)
-Transfers to another school and competes in the spring
-Transfers to another school for next season

Both Ivey and Wilson are training with the Men's team under Durden.
Polodad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who are the other 30 women Training with?
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bears Open Pac-12 Play Against Utah - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

Articles appear today for the mens & womens meets vs Utah tomorrow. The men have a paragragh ("They're Back") that mentions the three Bears that are returning for fifth year. The women's write-up does not have a similar reference...I hope that we find out tomorrow.
swimmer19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Women's team still trains under Durden and Marsh, combining practices with the men's team several times a week.

From my understanding, Ivey and Wilson have joined Murph and Abbey in training as the "postgrad" group that practices with the men's team.
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks, s19. They both could swim with the women's team but have chosen not to...I don't get it-it's a slap in the face to all their former female teammates. It guarantees that the women's team will not be competitive with Stanford and might not even finish second... Durden is their coach this season, not McKeever!
swimmer19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to Mia West! She will join Finley Anderson in the 2024 recruit class as a sprint free/fly specialist.

Long course best times of 26.5/56.7/2:01.1 FR and 1:00 FL, has also represented the Canadian National Junior Team at Jr. Pan Pacs this past summer to hit the aforementioned best times in the 100/200 free and 100 fly.
HBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
swimmer19 said:

Cal Women have hosted 5 2024 recruits within the past several weeks. Several uncommitted 2023 recruits have also visited Berkeley:

Kinley Wigle (OR, 2023) - 1:01 BR
Lindsay Barnes (CA, 2023) - 54.5/1:59 BK, local recruit from Cupertino
Daniela Karnaugh (NJ, 2024) - 1:02 BR, but 1:10/2:32 in LC for Team Trials/US Open
Mackenzie Headley (CT, 2024) - 22.5/49.1, 1:00.8 BR, HS dual sport athlete, SwimSwam #20
Adriana Smith (CA, 2024) - 53.5 BK, local recruit from Orinda
Charlotte Burnham (CO, 2024) - 1:02/2:13 BR, same team as 2024 commit Anderson
Adriana Smith announced her commit to Cal, becoming the third verbal for the 2024 group. Ranked #6 in California per SwimCloud (#80 in the class overall), with a 53.50 100 back and 1:58 in the 200. Welcome aboard!
HBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HBear said:

swimmer19 said:

Cal Women have hosted 5 2024 recruits within the past several weeks. Several uncommitted 2023 recruits have also visited Berkeley:

Kinley Wigle (OR, 2023) - 1:01 BR
Lindsay Barnes (CA, 2023) - 54.5/1:59 BK, local recruit from Cupertino
Daniela Karnaugh (NJ, 2024) - 1:02 BR, but 1:10/2:32 in LC for Team Trials/US Open
Mackenzie Headley (CT, 2024) - 22.5/49.1, 1:00.8 BR, HS dual sport athlete, SwimSwam #20
Adriana Smith (CA, 2024) - 53.5 BK, local recruit from Orinda
Charlotte Burnham (CO, 2024) - 1:02/2:13 BR, same team as 2024 commit Anderson
Adriana Smith announced her commit to Cal, becoming the third verbal for the 2024 group. Ranked #6 in California per SwimCloud (#80 in the class overall), with a 53.50 100 back and 1:58 in the 200. Welcome aboard!
Write-up on Adriana Smith from SS:

SUMMER JUNIORS QUALIFIER ADRIANA SMITH (2024) VERBALLY COMMITS TO NEARBY CAL
Polodad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think we are seeing the Durden effect.
swimmer19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Charlotte Burnham is Cal's latest verbal! From Colorado/Denver Hilltoppers, she visited the Bears the weekend of September 9th with TOPS teammate and Cal commit Finley Anderson.

1:02/2:13 BR, ranked in SwimSwam's BOTR with a 2:01 IM.
solobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jordan Ash committed.

https://instagr.am/p/Cr91R01LJ88
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After 1 year assistant swim coach coach Jesse Moore have left and returned to Minn to pursue coaching "in a different capacity". Jesse was hired by former coach McKeever who not soon afterward was suspended. Since the programs now combined under coach Durden..Jesse most likely was no longer the top assist for the women's program but moved to the bottom of the list. Think ideally now it would be perfect opportunity to get a women assist. swim coach.

Go Bears!


https://swimswam.com/cal-assistant-jesse-moore-leaving-swimming-to-pursue-coaching-in-a-different-capacity/
Polodad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Durden adeded Kim Williams about 2 weeks ago.

https://calbears.com/news/2023/4/21/womens-swimming-diving-cal-adds-kim-williams-to-swimming-diving-coaching-staff.aspx
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You're right. Forgot about her. Thanks
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like Ayla Spitz will be using her 5th year to swim at Northwestern. In the article it mentioned Hannah Brunzell of Northwestern will trade with Ayla and she will be using her 5th year at CAL. I believe Hannah's transfer was commented previously in a thread. Was hoping that we would be getting more women swimmer transfer to Cal but haven't heard much more. Anyone have any insight where we stand on the women's team. Hopefully Stadden remains at CAL. How about other possible other 5th year swimmers like Rachel Klinger and Davidson? Looks like Rachel during the winter break was assist swim coach at St.Mary Berkeley

Quote:

Rachel Klinker--Coach Klinker comes to Saint Mary's in her first year serving as the assistant coach for the Swimming & Diving Program. She is a current student-athlete at UC Berkeley and their Swimming & Diving program, serving as the team captain in her senior year. Klinker is an NCAA Finalist who brings with her natural leadership and compassion to her role as an assistant coach. Aside from participating in UC Berkeley's Swimming & Diving Program, Klinker has worked as the Head Swim Instructor at the UC Berkeley Swim Camps and as a caregiver during the COVID pandemic. She has also achieved a lot of success and accomplishments as a collegiate swimmer at the Pac-12 level (listed below):

  • Pac-12 Conference Champion
  • CCAA Scholar All American
  • Top 8 NCAA Finalist in the 200m Butterfly
  • Olympic Team Trials Finalist
  • 3-time All American Swimmer





https://swimswam.com/ayla-spitz-heading-to-northwestern-to-use-covid-19-fifth-year/

HBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Looks like Ayla Spitz will be using her 5th year to swim at Northwestern. In the article it mentioned Hannah Brunzell of Northwestern will trade with Ayla and she will be using her 5th year at CAL. I believe Hannah's transfer was commented previously in a thread. Was hoping that we would be getting more women swimmer transfer to Cal but haven't heard much more. Anyone have any insight where we stand on the women's team. Hopefully Stadden remains at CAL. How about other possible other 5th year swimmers like Rachel Klinger and Davidson? Looks like Rachel during the winter break was assist swim coach at St.Mary Berkeley

Quote:

Rachel Klinker--Coach Klinker comes to Saint Mary's in her first year serving as the assistant coach for the Swimming & Diving Program. She is a current student-athlete at UC Berkeley and their Swimming & Diving program, serving as the team captain in her senior year. Klinker is an NCAA Finalist who brings with her natural leadership and compassion to her role as an assistant coach. Aside from participating in UC Berkeley's Swimming & Diving Program, Klinker has worked as the Head Swim Instructor at the UC Berkeley Swim Camps and as a caregiver during the COVID pandemic. She has also achieved a lot of success and accomplishments as a collegiate swimmer at the Pac-12 level (listed below):

  • Pac-12 Conference Champion
  • CCAA Scholar All American
  • Top 8 NCAA Finalist in the 200m Butterfly
  • Olympic Team Trials Finalist
  • 3-time All American Swimmer





https://swimswam.com/ayla-spitz-heading-to-northwestern-to-use-covid-19-fifth-year/


Davidson heading to Texas. I believe Motekaitis, Riley, and Klinker are coming back for additional years. Per Instagram stories, Morgan Brophy from Texas is transferring in (I believe with two years of eligibility left, so c/o 2025).
solobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hope Alex Shackell (2025) will join her brother (Aaron) to Cal. Her time is comparable to Cal Great and Olympian Katie McClaughlin, and interestingly her fly stroke also looks similar. Andrew Shackell is also an excellent swimmer. The siblings could bring a lot of excitement to Cal pools.
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HBear said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

Looks like Ayla Spitz will be using her 5th year to swim at Northwestern. In the article it mentioned Hannah Brunzell of Northwestern will trade with Ayla and she will be using her 5th year at CAL. I believe Hannah's transfer was commented previously in a thread. Was hoping that we would be getting more women swimmer transfer to Cal but haven't heard much more. Anyone have any insight where we stand on the women's team. Hopefully Stadden remains at CAL. How about other possible other 5th year swimmers like Rachel Klinger and Davidson? Looks like Rachel during the winter break was assist swim coach at St.Mary Berkeley

Quote:

Rachel Klinker--Coach Klinker comes to Saint Mary's in her first year serving as the assistant coach for the Swimming & Diving Program. She is a current student-athlete at UC Berkeley and their Swimming & Diving program, serving as the team captain in her senior year. Klinker is an NCAA Finalist who brings with her natural leadership and compassion to her role as an assistant coach. Aside from participating in UC Berkeley's Swimming & Diving Program, Klinker has worked as the Head Swim Instructor at the UC Berkeley Swim Camps and as a caregiver during the COVID pandemic. She has also achieved a lot of success and accomplishments as a collegiate swimmer at the Pac-12 level (listed below):

  • Pac-12 Conference Champion
  • CCAA Scholar All American
  • Top 8 NCAA Finalist in the 200m Butterfly
  • Olympic Team Trials Finalist
  • 3-time All American Swimmer





https://swimswam.com/ayla-spitz-heading-to-northwestern-to-use-covid-19-fifth-year/


Davidson heading to Texas. I believe Motekaitis, Riley, and Klinker are coming back for additional years. Per Instagram stories, Morgan Brophy from Texas is transferring in (I believe with two years of eligibility left, so c/o 2025).
The 2023-2024 swim roster is listed now & Motekaitis, Klinger, & Riley listed as Graduate students. Hasn't been updated for the incoming fresh(wo)men.
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like the 2024 have added two new recruits - one a graduate transfer from France, Lilou Ressencourt & Maggie Petty (TN) sister to current Bears Evan Petty who will be a junior. Lilou was runner up in the 100 & 200 fly at the 2023 French National Meet. Cal coaches feel she will be competing in the 200 free too. According to the article she will have 2 years of eligibility left. Hopefully she can translate to the SC.

https://swimswam.com/french-runner-up-in-the-200-fly-lilou-ressencourt-commits-to-cal-women/

Maggie is primarily a sprinter 50/100 freestyle. She an Alex Shackell (2025) are being reunited after both swam for the Nashville teams over 10 years ago.

https://swimswam.com/sprinter-maggie-petty-2024-verbally-commits-to-cal-joining-brother-evan/

Looks like the dynamic duo of Durden & Marsh are getting it done.


Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm glad that women's recruiting is beginning to pick up. 2023 class appears down but 7 recruits for 2024 and a potential bigtime 2025 class. GO BEARS!
LegoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if she is a 2024 recruit, but new woman's swimmer from I think France.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cxn8xiZobCi/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes-Mary-Ambre Moluh is a French swimmer but i don't know her favorite events or which recruit class that she belongs to...Definitely appears young. Welcome, Mary-Ambre!
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LegoBear said:

Not sure if she is a 2024 recruit, but new woman's swimmer from I think France.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cxn8xiZobCi/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
She is actually rated pretty high by swim cloud #15. The best of the other Cal recruit is Mia West #12 Looks like backstrokes & sprints might be her events. She would be the 2nd French women in the 2024 class, joining Lilou Ressencourt #23. She though is a graduate transfer.

swimswam article on Moluh

https://swimswam.com/french-world-championships-semifinalist-mary-ambre-moluh-verbally-commits-to-cal-2024/
swimmer19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ohio State's Maya Geringer announced her intent to swim at Cal for her 5th year. A 4 year NCAA scorer for the Buckeyes in the mile, she will head to Berkeley with a 4:39.5 500 free and 15:56 mile.
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
swimmer19 said:

Ohio State's Maya Geringer announced her intent to swim at Cal for her 5th year. A 4 year NCAA scorer for the Buckeyes in the mile, she will head to Berkeley with a 4:39.5 500 free and 15:56 mile.


Who was the last women swimmer that we had to
score in the mIle? Can't recall.
coachdeke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OBear073akaSMFan said:

swimmer19 said:

Ohio State's Maya Geringer announced her intent to swim at Cal for her 5th year. A 4 year NCAA scorer for the Buckeyes in the mile, she will head to Berkeley with a 4:39.5 500 free and 15:56 mile.



Who was the last women swimmer that we had to
score in the mIle? Can't recall.


I think it was an Aussie or kiwi, I can't remember her name.
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You're right from New Zealand but can't remember her name either.
coachdeke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OBear073akaSMFan said:

You're right from New Zealand but can't remember her name either.

Lauren Boyle?
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yep..it's she!
Page 1 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.