VB - 2023

19,639 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by SFCALBear72
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

Another prime example of Knowlton's incompetence. Crossman should have been fired after Thanksgiving.

..well with him leaving on his own ..saved us on a severance package. Think depending on how well we do in the Pac-12 will most likely determine the fate of our two young assistant coaches.
ncbears
Cal loses a tough set two - fights from behind in set three and coasts in set 4 to beat Nevada 3-1.
And now Cal is (checks site) 11-0 to end the non-conference season.
OBear073akaSMFan
A solid win for the young Bears. Beat Nevada on their home court. Nevada beat Montana st who beat pac-12 foe Ore. St True test coming next game vs the furds!
ncbears
OBear073akaSMFan said:

A solid win for the young Bears. Beat Nevada on their home court. Nevada beat Montana st who beat pac-12 foe Ore. St True test coming next game vs the furds!
The Cardinal is not invincible - heck Nebraska beath them!
smh
> ..beath them!

heck yeah, lets do the same
# gobears
OBear073akaSMFan
ncbears said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

The Cardinal is not invincible - heck Nebraska beath them!
Kind of expected with Neb #4 vs Furds #5.
SanseiBear
OBear073akaSMFan said:

..well with him leaving on his own ..saved us on a severance package. Think depending on how well we do in the Pac-12 will most likely determine the fate of our two young assistant coaches.
I'll be pulling for both young coaches to remain on the staff. In my opinion, they have done a remarkable job shoring up our porous defense, develop two 6-rotation OHs in Maggie and Sam, and upgraded seldom-used Ava Mehrten into a opposite hitter to supplement the injured Asley Li. Mehrten had 19 kills in 31 attempts today for a team high hitting percentage of .452!

I look forward with anticipation to next Tuesday's match against Stanford! GO BEARS!
LodeBear
SanseiBear said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

I'll be pulling for both young coaches to remain on the staff. In my opinion, they have done a remarkable job shoring up our porous defense, develop two 6-rotation OHs in Maggie and Sam, and upgraded seldom-used Ava Mehrten into a opposite hitter to supplement the injured Asley Li. Mehrten had 19 kills in 31 attempts today for a team high hitting percentage of .452!

I look forward with anticipation to next Tuesday's match against Stanford! GO BEARS!
great post sansei bear. Ava is a very nice surprise at opposite, which has been Cal's weakness for many many teams. Looking forward to tues and Stanford. Go Bears !!
ncbears
I presume the local media will ignore tonites Big Spike
DiabloWags
ncbears said:

Its LIVE on the Pac 12 Network.

7pm
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
ncbears
True. But did any local newssource (tv, radio, eebsite, newspaper) even preview the match. This is a match that should have good attendance if people know about it
ncbears
It was tied at 8. But now 17-9.
ncbears
Set 1 to Red-,25-18. Bears fought hard, but the Red team just was a bit better.
ncbears
Cal took an 11-10 lead but other team scored three and cal calls time. Other team is using middle hitting - Cal not so much
ncbears
Got down. Fought back to trail by one at 23-22 but Furd wins set two 25-22. Cal has not gone five sets yet this year. Maybe tonite?
DiabloWags
Kendall Kipp is hard to stop.
ncbears
Set three. Furd starts hot. Bears fight back but have to take a time out down 9-4
ncbears
Got it to 11-8 but Furd has many weapons. Now 17-10
ncbears
Sigh. 25-19 in set three. Bears not at Furd level yet. Hayden had good match.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/output/print.php?id=477106&xsl=volleyball%2Fsb.vbgame.print.ncaabox.xsl%3Bvolleyball%2Fsb.vbgame.print.ncaabox.xsl&ext=0&format=pdf&prompt=0
ncbears

ncbears
Attendance 2383. Not bad. Not great.
DiabloWags
ncbears said:

Got it to 11-8 but Furd has many weapons. Now 17-10

Yup, just too many weapons.
But proud of the Bears fighting hard!
SFCALBear72
ncbears said:

I was there. Sure looked and felt like a lot more than that.

From story on Calbears.com

"California volleyball incurred its first loss of the 2023 season on Tuesday night, falling to 11-1 after a 0-3 sweep by No. 4 Stanford in front of a sizeable Haas Pavilion crowd that included at least 1100 students the program's largest number in at least five years."

Bears Drop Pac-12 Opener - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
harebear
The Furd team looked like they had quite a size advantage. But this Cal team is much scrappier than I thought they would be against such a highly ranked opponent. Am impressed by this interim HC.
ncbears
SFCALBear72 said:

ncbears said:

I was there. Sure looked and felt like a lot more than that.

From story on Calbears.com

"California volleyball incurred its first loss of the 2023 season on Tuesday night, falling to 11-1 after a 0-3 sweep by No. 4 Stanford in front of a sizeable Haas Pavilion crowd that included at least 1100 students the program's largest number in at least five years."

Bears Drop Pac-12 Opener - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
1100 students is a great start! Hopefully, the numbers can continue at least half of that for other matches.
HateRed
Good crowd at usc vs ucla volleyball.
ncbears
HateRed said:

Good crowd at usc vs ucla volleyball.
boxscore says 5204.
SanseiBear
SanseiBear said:

3Cats4CAL said:

Who was responsible for recruiting Li (s), Johnson, etc ? Was it the new coaches or the departed one?
Ashley Li and Sawyer Thomsen were signed by the previous regime of Crosson and Jenn Dorr in November 2022. Li and Thomsen

Paige Morningstar was signed by the staff of Crosson and the two new coaches in February 2023. Morningstar

There was no announcement regarding Maggie Li and Sophia Johnson, but I assume it was the current coaches plus Crosson.
According to this link, Maggie Li committed to Cal last December, which means she was recruited by Crosson and, most likely, Jenn Dorr who was subsequently released by Crosson. Focused On The Details - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
HateRed
Tickets were like $2.00. A friend went and said it was a wild match. I think tickets for CAL vs the dark side were like $10. Still, not bad.
SFCALBear72
ncbears said:

I sent an email yesterday to Marisa Ingemi, a Chronicle columnist who often writes about Cal and Stanford women's sports and asked her why no coverage before or after the Big Spike.

She immediately replied and said she had attended the game and was now working on a feature article. Too little too late.

Another point about attendance that night is that there were very few Stanford fans there. I still think that those 1100 students were not included in that 2383 total particularly if they got in free. A woman at the ticket booth said she thought there would be a large student turnout because of a promise of free pizza. hmmmm.

DiabloWags
Marisa is a brand new first year reporter for the Chronicle, often writing about gay and transgender participation in sports, along with women's sports.

There's no excuse for such a late article. I guess she's not really a "beat" writer.
CalFanatic
Cal 3 points away from taking this game to a 5th set!
ncbears
And to a fifth set we go....
ncbears
Oh, Bears. Cal was down 12-7 - rallied to take a 13-12 lead, but lose 15-13. The floater that just grabbed the ack line for the Ute's 14th point was ... regrettable.
SFCALBear72
Kudos to the Bears down 0-2 on the road (plus altitude) rallied to take it to a 5th set before falling.
This team will NOT go winless in conference play like the last 2 seasons.

See you Friday at Haas for Arizona.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.