VB - 2023

19,632 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by SFCALBear72
SanseiBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Extremely proud of these young women, who almost pulled off a reverse sweep! Keep believing in each other, continue playing solid defense, and the wins will come. GO BEARS!
Bear8995
Well said. Extremely proud of how the fought back. Coaching is making a difference
LodeBear
watching cal vs arizona. cal won first two sets. it was neck and neck in 3rd set, but late cal had too many service errors. i counted 5. and setter double. they were at 17 to 18. arizona won third set. i was watching oregon and washington, and the announcer said Cal has lost a pac 12 record 57 conference games in a row. hoping tonight cal can beat arizona and break that record. maggie li doing a great job.
ncbears
And Cal races out to 13-3 lead in fourth and is barely threatened after. First conference win in forever. Go Bears!
LodeBear
woo hoo !! bears win. maggie Li 21 kills hit .340. sam had 14 but 11 errors. hamm, hayden played great. defense was really good, even in game their lost 20 -25. total service errors is 12. game 3 they had 6 or 7 service errors. clean up their service errors and they win game 3. maggie such a great player. even when the sets are off she can still hit. sam has more trouble if the set is not really good. she hit quite a few long. they ran more slides to the opposite with the middle players ellie and hayden since they set very few to ava. arizona took WSU to five at arizona so they are not a poor team. the coaching sure looks good. if they had grote they could be even better. they need another maggie next year. i feel the team has gotten better and better. they could have beaten utah and probably should have. they felt the pressure at the end of the match in game 5. Great job team and coaches. there is no way they should look for another coach if they continue to get better win or lose. now they need two real good hitters and an excellent libero through the transfer portal for next year. can Cal do it ?
senorbeta
harebear said:

LodeBear said:

looks like Paige played in relief of Maeder. good she is getting some playing time. If they can beat OC teams and play pac 12 teams tough, that will be a plus for this year. overall a young team. will probably need NIL money to keep maggie Li. Hopefully i can watch them on streaming. Go Bears !!
Is Maggie eligible for NIL $....isn't she an international student?
It's my understanding she is not eligible for NIL money becayse she is not an American citizen.
ncbears
Other hitters/middle the Bears have are DeJardin, Scott and A. Li . I think all three are injured in some limiting way.
SanseiBear
LodeBear said:

woo hoo !! bears win. maggie Li 21 kills hit .340. sam had 14 but 11 errors. hamm, hayden played great. defense was really good, even in game their lost 20 -25. total service errors is 12. game 3 they had 6 or 7 service errors. clean up their service errors and they win game 3. maggie such a great player. even when the sets are off she can still hit. sam has more trouble if the set is not really good. she hit quite a few long. they ran more slides to the opposite with the middle players ellie and hayden since they set very few to ava. arizona took WSU to five at arizona so they are not a poor team. the coaching sure looks good. if they had grote they could be even better. they need another maggie next year. i feel the team has gotten better and better. they could have beaten utah and probably should have. they felt the pressure at the end of the match in game 5. Great job team and coaches. there is no way they should look for another coach if they continue to get better win or lose. now they need two real good hitters and an excellent libero through the transfer portal for next year. can Cal do it ?
From the Volley Talk website, there are two listings of future commits:

Also, I don't think both Tara DeSa and Sam Taumoepeau have used their Covid Year eligibility.
LodeBear
thanks sanseibear. i will look these potential Cal players up. top 3 may be next yrs and bottom 3 2025?
SanseiBear
LodeBear said:

thanks sanseibear. i will look these potential Cal players up. top 3 may be next yrs and bottom 3 2025?
Correct! I should have noted that on my post.
ncbears
Cal wins the first set against ASU and just falls short in Set Two.
ASU's big hitter, Levinska is being a big hitter - at this point, she has 18 kills on 29 attacks hitting 586.
Midway through third ASU10 Cal 8
ncbears
Note: the person calling the game is .... not my favorite.
ncbears
Cal is up 23-21 in the third when ASU calls time.
A really nice slide hit in the middle by Hayden off a Meader set.
SamT with 14 kills and MLi with 12
ncbears
Hayden with the kill and Bears win set 3 25-22.
ncbears
Bears have their worst set and lose set 4 - 25-21
On to FIVE!
ncbears
Set 5 is not off to a good start - 4-1 ASU leads.
ncbears
and now 7-2. Ugh. Jensen who is now a designated server has 3 service errors on the match including one just now.
ncbears
After a timeout, Cal goes a 4-0 run to pull within 7-6 and ASU calls time.
ncbears
and the teams switch sides with Cal down 8-6
ncbears
Devils block themselves to a `10-6 lead
ncbears
12-6 ASU. sigh
ncbears
And ref calls a lift and Bears lose set five - 15-9.
Levinska for ASU is a monster - 30 kills - 482 hitting, i digs, 3 blocks and 1 service ace.

Li with 19 kills and 164
SamT with 17 kills and 131
Hayden with 9 and 368
Hamm with 5 and 083
Meador with 47 assists and 12 digs.

It was a close match, and the Bears just (1) ran out of steam and (2) Levinska did not.
It did seem like the Bears did hit out of the middle more than in prior matches - but that could be an illusion.

LodeBear
they have lost two 5 set matches this year and end of last year, they lost 5 straight 5 set matches. hopefully they can get that extra energy and play to start winning some of these 5 setters. ASU has only lost to stanford so they are a good team. Will have to play the arizona schools in arizona. will be tough. glad they had more sets to the middle or maybe slides to the middle players. Was not able to watch the match, sorry. Thanks ncbears.
SFCALBear72
Valiant effort by the Bears to take #25 ASU to 5 sets.
Devils got their "revenge" for the football loss on Saturday.
Nice loud and boisterous crowd on hand.
Go Bears!!
ncbears
Boxscore

Boxscore says attendance was only 753. Sigh. This team deserves more support. Alas, Cal does not play at Colorado this year.
SanseiBear
LodeBear said:

they have lost two 5 set matches this year and end of last year, they lost 5 straight 5 set matches. hopefully they can get that extra energy and play to start winning some of these 5 setters. ASU has only lost to stanford so they are a good team. Will have to play the arizona schools in arizona. will be tough. glad they had more sets to the middle or maybe slides to the middle players. Was not able to watch the match, sorry. Thanks ncbears.
In both full-set losses this year, the coaches have only substituted in server Kendall Jensen and DS Sophia Johnson for the MHs and OH Ava Mehrten when they rotate to the back row. This means both Maggie Li and Sam T. played the entire match in both losses.

Since I'm watching the match online, I don't know if Peyton DeJardin, Ashley Li, and Sophie Scott actively participated in the today's pregame warm-ups, but if they did, they could have been used in the 4th set to spell Maggie or Sam. Just my uneducated opinion.
SFCALBear72
ncbears said:

Boxscore

Boxscore says attendance was only 753. Sigh. This team deserves more support. Alas, Cal does not play at Colorado this year.
It's going to take some time to start drawing bigger crowds. Ask Charmin.
And especially given Volleyball's recent past.

It's a beautiful day here today given the dreariness of yesterday.

At yesterday's football game, they promoted this match with ASU by saying students get in free and that you could show your football ticket at the ticket booth for a discount or free ticket (didn't quite hear that part of the announcement).
DiabloWags
Very nice half page article in the SF Chronicle on CAL VOLLEYBALL today.

Page B3
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
smh
DiabloWags said:

Very nice half page article in the SF Chronicle on CAL VOLLEYBALL today.
Page B3
thanks DW. dunno from newstands, but maybe this..?
> Jolted by coaching change, Cal volleyball ends 57-match Pac-12 losing streak
> Marisa Ingemi
> Sep. 30, 2023Updated: Oct. 1, 2023 12:23 p.m.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/cal-volleyball-ends-57-match-pac-12-losing-streak-18395164.php
/*****
Crissy Jones Schoonderwoerd found herself inching closer to the volleyball court in Utah. It was 12 games into her coaching career, and Cal was a set away from its first Pac-12 win in three seasons.
One of the officials had to politely tell her to "turn it down a notch" before Jones Schoonderwoerd realized how intense she had gotten. The 26-year-old still has the fire that fueled her prestigious playing career, and it has helped lead Cal to a much-needed turnaround in a season that could have been doomed before it started.
Two weeks before the season, head coach Sam Crosson abruptly resigned.
"I did not have any information," Jones Schoonderwoerd said. "It was just sprung on (fellow assistant coach) Savannah (Rennie) and I. It happened very, very quickly. It was out of left field."
Since then, the Bears have won 12 of 14 matches under their interim coach's energetic guidance matching their victory total from the last two seasons combined. After nearly ending their 57-match Pac-12 losing streak against Utah, the Bears finally broke through Friday night against Arizona, winning in four sets at Haas Pavilion.
"I see this team that needs help and I felt I was a good fit," she said. "I knew that I wanted my first coaching position to be somewhere where I felt like I could make a difference, and this felt like the perfect opportunity.
"Now, it's an even bigger role, so I feel blessed for that."
The Bears (12-2) are off to their best start since 2019 when they won 10 games to start the season. Cal won 11 in a row to begin this campaign, and the win over Arizona was its first in the conference since beating Stanford on Feb. 12, 2021 its lone win in the pandemic-affected 2020 season.
"I've been here the longest, and I know how bad we need that," senior Sam Taumoepeau said when asked before playing the Wildcats how a Pac-12 win would feel.
Taumoepeau and the other upperclassmen decided at the end of last season that they didn't want to stand for another woeful season. That was before Crosson left.
Taumoepeau said a "vibe shift" happened under Jones Schoonderwoerd.
An All-American at Washington and beach volleyball All-American in one season at Cal Poly, Jones Schoonderwoerd reached out about joining the Cal staff at the beginning of this year and was hired as an assistant in February. She got to work organizing practices, and quickly the players related with her. She was the second player in NCAA history to earn All-America distinction in both indoor and beach volleyball; it wasn't difficult for players to buy in.
Crosson, who had led the Bears for three seasons, now coaches at West Valley College in Saratoga. He declined to comment when asked why he left Cal.
Given the coaching change, having any sort of success is its own sort of accomplishment for the Bears. The players credit Jones Schoonderwoerd for changing the entire feel in the locker room.
"Every day (Jones Schoonderwoerd) comes into the gym and brings positive energy," said Maggie Li, who has been named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week five times. "She asks how our day is going; it's not just volleyball questions."
This year's nonconference schedule was not overly challenging. The highest RPI of any team Cal faced was Texas State at No. 43, and only two are in the top 100 overall. Still, they're wins the Bears weren't close to achieving a year ago.
Circumstances depleted the Bears' talent in recent years. Top outside hitter Maddie Haynes graduated in 2020, and Mima Mirkovic committed to just beach volleyball during the 2020-21 COVID season. Lydia Grote, who transferred to Minnesota this season, was injured much of last season.
Grote's departure created an opening for Li, a 6-foot-3 outside hitter who has an element of star power the Bears need. A member of the U20 Chinese National Team, Li has more poise on the court than most underclassmen.
Crosson's mysterious departure added new adversity this season, but that's almost par for the course for Cal. Li's emergence and Jones Schoonderwoerd's stability have brought a feeling of joy that's been missing.
Also, of course, that burden-lifting conference victory.
"We're building and I think we've already been on a really positive trajectory," Jones Schoonderwoerd said. "We're trying to be better than ourselves. I'm really not sure how far this group can go, because I think I see a really high ceiling for us."
Reach Marisa Ingemi: marisa.ingemi@sfchronicle.com; Twitter: @marisa_ingemi
*****/
ncbears
Crosson had four years 19, 20, 21, 22.
Li has not won Freshman of the Week five times. it's four.
Article omits the angle on Rennie who returns to the Bears.

But at least it's an article!
SFCALBear72
ncbears said:

Crosson had four years 19, 20, 21, 22.
Li has not won Freshman of the Week five times. it's four.
Article omits the angle on Rennie who returns to the Bears.

But at least it's an article!

Back on September 20, I sent this Chronicle writer (Marisa Ingemi) an email asking why there was no Chronicle coverage of the Cal-Stanford match the previous night.

Her swift reply said, "I was there and have a feature in the works around it, but thanks for your concern."

I guess this story must be it - 13 days later. Good grief.
SanseiBear
Daily Cal's article on this week's matches. GO BEARS!
HateRed
I don't care what WSU is ranked, it's like the Bears have forgotten how to play volleyball.
3Cats4CAL
For Cal to even compete against pac12 and better teams they need to stop making so many service errors. Tesa had so many against WA State.
ncbears
Based on the stats, neither team defended well. But, my hopes for this year was to maybe get to 500 overall and to win some conference games. Just need to be taking steps forward and seeing hope. To me, COVID really just just tore this program to pieces. That, and not making the tournament in Crosson's first year, when he couldn't coach around Mirkovic's injury.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.