Women's Swim Recruiting: Class of 2016

158,112 Views | 423 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842561695 said:

Allie Szekely could also show up on the farm, making this her 5th & final trip.

Allie Szekely - [COLOR="#696969"]4 Oct 2015[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#808080"]Stanford Stadium[/COLOR]

Up close and personal ❤️���� #fearthetree

[COLOR="#696969"](35) Hannah Boyd with Allie[/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842558650 said:

Originally thought Bears would add Marsh or Mykkanen as a legacy, but Light seems to be the legacy.

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842559016 said:

4) Uncommitted recruits - some of the campuses they've visited up to this point:

(52) Courtney Mykkanen - USC
(55) Maddie Murphy - USC, UCLA

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Have heard rumours of Courtney Mykkanen having been seen at the Wazzu game on Sat (5-0, woohoo!), accompanied by Maddie Murphy & commit Aislinn Light ...

2nd legacy in play perhaps, and does that say anything about the chances of Katie D committing to be a baby :bear:? ~nervous~
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
BearDevil
Five seniors (Bootsma, Pelton, Naze, Acker, Grima) plus Cierra. Bootsma or Pelton allocated to Weitzeil (Olympic deferral). Cierra's scholly netted out to account for Hull's transfer.

Known recruiting visits:

-Blovad Cal verbal
-Devine Cal verbal
-Buckley Cal verbal
-Light Cal verbal

-Drabot Cal, LSJU, Georgia
-Mykkanen Cal, 'SC, UCLA
-Murphy Cal, 'SC, UCLA
-Okada Cal, 'SC, UCLA, AZ
-Lund Cal

-Small TN verbal
-Cox 'Zona verbal

Diving recruiting is an unknown.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

4) Uncommitted recruits - some of the campuses they've visited up to this point:

#11 (19) Erin Voss - Mich

-------

Erin Voss - [COLOR="#696969"]6 Oct 2015[/COLOR]

Committed to swim for Stanford University! So excited to be part of such an amazing team and University��❤️��

[U]Katie Drabot[/U]: Yay!!! Congrats! So happy for you!

---------
tedbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842563987 said:

-------

Erin Voss - [COLOR="#696969"]6 Oct 2015[/COLOR]

Committed to swim for Stanford University! So excited to be part of such an amazing team and University��❤️��

[U]Katie Drabot[/U]: Yay!!! Congrats! So happy for you!

---------

And Erin is The Furds badly needed backstroke recruit.
Microbear85
tedbear;842564017 said:

And Erin is The Furds badly needed backstroke recruit.

Does Voss' commitment to Stanfurd mean anything wrt Drabot? Does Stanfurd have space for both Voss and Drabot?
BearDevil
Microbear85;842564035 said:

Does Voss' commitment to Stanfurd mean anything wrt Drabot? Does Stanfurd have space for both Voss and Drabot?

Depends. Underlying assumption is that Ledecky gets Haase's scholly and they could cobble enough for Byrnes and Drabot or Szekely. Voss would seem to indicate Drabot or AS is out. We'll know soon enough.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Microbear85;842564035 said:

BearDevil;842564075 said:

Depends. Underlying assumption is that Ledecky gets Haase's scholly and they could cobble enough for Byrnes and Drabot or Szekely. Voss would seem to indicate Drabot or AS is out. We'll know soon enough.

-------

Brooke Stenstrom - [COLOR="#696969"]6 Oct 2015[/COLOR]

I am so excited to announce my commitment to swim at Stanford University! ❤️��❤️

---------
[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]
Brooke's stats: http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/215746/

Legacy recruit for LSJU, right, BD? Is Steve her dad? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Stenstrom

At any rate it appears that Greg Meehan likely has only 1 full slot left, for either #6 Katie, #8 Allie or #35 Hannah Boyd?

To complete the puzzle, looks like half a dozen swimmers were recruited down on the farm this past weekend (including commit Megan Byrnes, though Katie Ledecky didn't seem to have made an appearance):
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

---------
BearDevil
Like the Elways, dad was a QB and mom swam on the farm. Steve went 2-2 as a Big Game QB. Was working in Europe during the glorious '91 season and would get 3 or 4 phone calls in the middle of every Saturday night from Cal friends hyperventilating about how awesome the Bears were. Only game I saw in person that year was the BG when redshirt frosh QB Stenstrom beat much beloved Pawlawski. Treggs Sr never did move to Palo Alto.

Let's go, Mykkanen. Olympic medal on US soil >>> career NFL back up.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842564296 said:

Let's go, Mykkanen. Olympic medal on US soil >>> career NFL back up.

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Wouldn't complain too loudly if:

[INDENT] #35 Hannah Boyd -> [U]The Furd[/U]

#8 Allie Szekely -> [U]UVa[/U] or [U]UNC[/U] (just not UGA or SC please!)

#6 Katie Drabot + #52 Courtney Mykkanen + #55 Maddie Murphy -> :bear:s[/INDENT]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
BearDevil
Even souless Cardinal sheep can experience grace for fleeting moments. All three Stenstromi were Bears at least at some point in their lives. Steve in Chitown and Brooke and her mom (coach) at Menlo Atherton High (Bob Melvin's alma mater). Bless me Oski for I have sinned since I rooted for Grima's Woodside Wildcats against MA. Not as bad as rooting for the scrappy French Bulldog against those wussy ass Bruins.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842564306 said:

Wouldn't complain too loudly if:

#6 Katie Drabot + #52 Courtney Mykkanen + #55 Maddie Murphy -> :bear:s

-------

Maddie Murphy - [COLOR="#696969"]6 Oct 2015[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#808080"]UC Berkeley[/COLOR]

i'm so honored to announce i will be wearing a CAL cap for the next 4 years ������ GO BEARS!!

[U]Kathleen[/U]: Omg yay ������
[U]Katie McL[/U]: YAYYYYYYY I AM SO EXCITED!!! Welcome to the fam!! I can't wait!! ����
[U]Val[/U]: YAY! ������
[U]Cat Ladd[/U]: Can't wait ������
[U]taylor nanfria[/U]: YOU DIDNT EVEN TELL ME TODAY I'm so excited welcome to the fam baby ��
[U]Marina[/U]: cant wait to have you here ����
[U]Maija[/U]: YEAH BUDDY! ������
[U]Aislinn[/U]: OMG YES congrats!!! can't wait to see you there!����
[U]moriah simonds[/U]: congrats girlf so proud omg

https://instagr.am/p/8hbXaLhgdmZ8jv8cS3BK12LN2txEoWbSYdyL40

-------
BearDevil
Congrats to Maddy. Looks like an immediate fly qualifier, but maybe not a scorer as a froskie. Also seems very well liked and connected within Bay Area swim circles, which can pay dividends down the line.

Still think 'SC is the true Great Satan, but just dawned on me that Mykkanen's dad won a silver medal in the forerunner to the current 'SC swim facility. Would be pretty schweet/inspiring to train in the same pool every day where your dad was an Olympian. Mary T and Biondi both found Gold in the same cement pond.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842564414 said:

Congrats to Maddy. Looks like an immediate fly qualifier, but maybe not a scorer as a froskie. Also seems very well liked and connected within Bay Area swim circles, which can pay dividends down the line.

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]698 likes and counting for her insta verbal, so I'd say Maddie's pretty well-liked hehe. Connections & networking are frequently overlooked resources which can reap massive rewards down the road, as we've seen happen time & time again from the close friendships & bonding that these recruits form with each other on Junior National Team trips, training camps etc.

Still waiting for [U]SwimSwam/SwimmingWorld/CollegeSwiming[/U]'s write-ups on our East Bay recruit, but meanwhile here are some stats:

http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/241714/

Pretty sure some more key commitments will be coming in today, which I'll unfortunately miss out on as will be offline in about a couple of hours for the rest of the day & evening...hopefully someone will keep abreast of all the developments and post them here, cheers!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Well finally back online...trying to catch up on the recruiting scene, let's see...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

#15 Kirsten Jacobsen - Zona, IU, UVa
(69) Amy Okada - Zona, Cal, USC, UCLA

-------

Kirsten Jacobsen - [COLOR="#696969"]7 Oct 2015[/COLOR]
Super excited to announce my commitment to swim for the University of Arizona! Can't wait to be a Wildcat! #beardown ��❤️��❤️

-------

Bailey Greenberg - [COLOR="#696969"]7 Oct 2015[/COLOR]
SO FREAKING PROUD OF MY ONE AND ONLY AMY OKADA! LOVE YOU SO MUCH ����������

-------
Leaving just three [U]Top 20[/U] recruits who haven't announced their commitments at this point:

#2 Beata Nelson - visited Tenn, UW
#6 Katie Drabot - visited UGA, Cal, LSJU
#8 Allie Szekely - visited UGA, UVa, USC, UNC, LSJU
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------
BearDevil
Weird Drabot/'Zona tangent. Club teammate Sam Senczysyn never made it to Tucson or left after a few weeks. Now at Division 3 Eau Claire (3 hours from home). AZ over recruited and the turnover was predictable. Madison is 90 minutes away and Milwaukee (which had a recent NCAA breast star) is 20 mins away. UofA refused to release her to either so she's forced to D3 for a year and will move again after the season.

Like this Cal class, but needs one more star. Great if it's Drabot, but an international or transfer works as long as there's a fit (need, academic, social, cultural).
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

1) Schools that have received at least 1 verbal from a 2016 recruit on SwimSwam's [U]Top 10[/U] list:

[U]Tenn Volunteers[/U]
#1 (3) Meghan Small
(18) Cassy Jernberg
(50) Erika Brown

[SIZE=5]Cassy Jernberg De-Commits From Tennessee; Picks Indiana[/SIZE]

http://swimswam.com/cassy-jernberg-de-commits-from-tennessee-picks-indiana/
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

:bawl: :cry: :bawl:

-------

Katie Drabot - [COLOR="#696969"]8 Oct 2015[/COLOR]

Super excited to announce my verbal commitment to Stanford University! Go Card! ❤️��

-------

Megan Byrnes - Can't wait to spend the next four years w my bff congrats girl!!����❤️☺️

-------

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=5]#1 Ranked Recruit Katie Drabot Chooses Stanford[/SIZE][/COLOR]

For the second year in a row, Stanford head coach Greg Meehan has heard a yes when offering the top-ranked recruit in the nation a spot on his team as Ozaukee Aquatics' Katie Drabot has announced her verbal commitment to Stanford. This follows last year when Meehan scored commitments from #1 Katie Ledecky and #3 Ella Eastin, with Ledecky deferring a year to focus on the Olympics.

Drabot is ranked the top recruit in the Class of 2016 by CollegeSwimming.com.

Drabot won a gold medal at the 2014 Junior Pan Pacific Championships in the 200-meter freestyle, and was a four-time gold-medalist at the 2015 Irish Open Swimming Championships as part of the NCSA Junior All-Star trip.

More to come.

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/1-ranked-recruit-katie-drabot-chooses-stanford/

-------

[COLOR="#B22222"][SIZE=5]Stanford Scores Commitment From National Junior Teamer, #6 Katie Drabot[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Stanford has bolstered its recruiting class with an elite blue-chipper, getting a verbal commitment from Wisconsin's Katie Drabot.

Drabot checked in at #6 on our list of top recruits in the nation, though we noted at the time a case could certainly be made to rank her even higher. Drabot was a member of the U.S. squad for the 2014 Short Course World Championships, is a former Junior World Record-holder and is a current member of the U.S. Junior National Team.

Swimming for Ozaukee Aquatics and Cedarburg High School in Wisconsin, Drabot is a veritable dream recruit for coaches with her extreme versatility and NCAA-scoring range times.

Drabot's Top Times
200 IM: 1:57.97
400 IM: 4:09.43
200 free: 1:45.22
500 free: 4:43.09
100 free: 48.96
50 free: 22.75
100 breast: 1:02.06
200 breast: 2:11.07

Take your pick on which of those times is most impressive. Odds are, Drabot will end up swimming a little of everything over the course of her college career. Stanford's relative wealth of young talent means Drabot should have the flexibility to swim where she shows the most spark, rather than being forced into an event discipline the team is weak in.

Those IM times would make her a great training partner for former Junior World Record-holder Ella Eastin, who is a current freshman with the Cardinal. Drabot would probably benefit from training her 100 and 200 frees with NCA sprint champ Simone Manuel, currently a sophomore. Then, too, there probably isn't a better distance freestyle training partner in the world than Katie Ledecky, who will arrive at Stanford next fall along with Drabot after deferring her enrollment a year.

Drabot beefs up a Stanford recruiting class that now better matches the magic of its previous two recruiting classes, the class of 2015's Ledecky/Eastin/Leah Stevens group and 2014's Manuel/Janet Hu/Lindsey Engle/Ally Howe crew.

Looking at that list of names really drives home the kind of insane talent pool Stanford has been able to assemble over the past few years. With Drabot joining fellow top-20 recruits Erin Voss (#11) and Megan Byrnes (#14) in this class, it looks like the talent influx is only going to continue for the Cardinal.

http://swimswam.com/stanford-scores-commitment-from-national-junior-teamer-6-katie-drabot/

-------
OBear073akaSMFan
:cry:
OBear073akaSMFan
BearDevil;842565202 said:

Like this Cal class, but needs one more star. Great if it's Drabot, but an international or transfer works as long as there's a fit (need, academic, social, cultural).

Now that Drabot has joined the evil empire..it's still surprising we haven't gotten the stars last last year! Don't know for sure but gut tells me a lot of negative recruiting going on, especially after winning a NCAA 'ship this past year! I'm just saying...
tedbear
M
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842565726 said:

-------

:bawl: :cry: :bawl:

-------

Katie Drabot - [COLOR="#696969"]8 Oct 2015[/COLOR]

Super excited to announce my verbal commitment to Stanford University! Go Card! ❤️��

-------

Megan Byrnes - Can't wait to spend the next four years w my bff congrats girl!!����❤️☺️

-------

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=5]#1 Ranked Recruit Katie Drabot Chooses Stanford[/SIZE][/COLOR]

For the second year in a row, Stanford head coach Greg Meehan has heard a yes when offering the top-ranked recruit in the nation a spot on his team as Ozaukee Aquatics' Katie Drabot has announced her verbal commitment to Stanford. This follows last year when Meehan scored commitments from #1 Katie Ledecky and #3 Ella Eastin, with Ledecky deferring a year to focus on the Olympics.

Drabot is ranked the top recruit in the Class of 2016 by CollegeSwimming.com.

Drabot won a gold medal at the 2014 Junior Pan Pacific Championships in the 200-meter freestyle, and was a four-time gold-medalist at the 2015 Irish Open Swimming Championships as part of the NCSA Junior All-Star trip.

More to come.

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/1-ranked-recruit-katie-drabot-chooses-stanford/

-------

[COLOR="#B22222"][SIZE=5]Stanford Scores Commitment From National Junior Teamer, #6 Katie Drabot[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Stanford has bolstered its recruiting class with an elite blue-chipper, getting a verbal commitment from Wisconsin's Katie Drabot.

Drabot checked in at #6 on our list of top recruits in the nation, though we noted at the time a case could certainly be made to rank her even higher. Drabot was a member of the U.S. squad for the 2014 Short Course World Championships, is a former Junior World Record-holder and is a current member of the U.S. Junior National Team.

Swimming for Ozaukee Aquatics and Cedarburg High School in Wisconsin, Drabot is a veritable dream recruit for coaches with her extreme versatility and NCAA-scoring range times.

Drabot's Top Times
200 IM: 1:57.97
400 IM: 4:09.43
200 free: 1:45.22
500 free: 4:43.09
100 free: 48.96
50 free: 22.75
100 breast: 1:02.06
200 breast: 2:11.07

Take your pick on which of those times is most impressive. Odds are, Drabot will end up swimming a little of everything over the course of her college career. Stanford's relative wealth of young talent means Drabot should have the flexibility to swim where she shows the most spark, rather than being forced into an event discipline the team is weak in.

Those IM times would make her a great training partner for former Junior World Record-holder Ella Eastin, who is a current freshman with the Cardinal. Drabot would probably benefit from training her 100 and 200 frees with NCA sprint champ Simone Manuel, currently a sophomore. Then, too, there probably isn't a better distance freestyle training partner in the world than Katie Ledecky, who will arrive at Stanford next fall along with Drabot after deferring her enrollment a year.

Drabot beefs up a Stanford recruiting class that now better matches the magic of its previous two recruiting classes, the class of 2015's Ledecky/Eastin/Leah Stevens group and 2014's Manuel/Janet Hu/Lindsey Engle/Ally Howe crew.

Looking at that list of names really drives home the kind of insane talent pool Stanford has been able to assemble over the past few years. With Drabot joining fellow top-20 recruits Erin Voss (#11) and Megan Byrnes (#14) in this class, it looks like the talent influx is only going to continue for the Cardinal.

http://swimswam.com/stanford-scores-commitment-from-national-junior-teamer-6-katie-drabot/

-------

Ugh! As great as last year was, this year was a complete disaster. Hopefully, BD is right and we come through with a big time international or transfer. I hope we win NCAA this year because beyond 2017 the Furd is going to dominate. From my original list the Furd got one of the must gets and two of our wants . So far we just have one local. Already have my eyes on 2017 recruiting Kuks, Popov, Areosty, etc. I still think missing Coach Kristen made a huge difference.
tedbear
2016 Recruiting
In the end, I think our biggest miss was Hannah Cox. She would have filled the mid to long distance need perfectly. Our sprint Frees (Katie) and Back (Adams) are fine for now. Do need IM help (Small).
BearDevil
tedbear;842566155 said:

2016 Recruiting
In the end, I think our biggest miss was Hannah Cox. She would have filled the mid to long distance need perfectly. Our sprint Frees (Katie) and Back (Adams) are fine for now. Do need IM help (Small).

Biggest immediate need (international or transfer) is middle distance. Thought Bears needed two legs (Cox, Drabot, or Small) on the 800 Free relay, but the reality is Teri only needs one (McL, Baker, Abbey). Farida can anchor the 200 Medley instead of Abbey.

Bears needed and added Hull when Abbey deferred. Ideal transfer or international would be 800 Free leg, 500 Free, 400 IM, and 1650. Small, Cox, and Drabot all had some of that, but there was no perfect Cal recruit (events, academics, cultural) in this class.

2016 is Teri's best window for a title. Next class needs breast, distance, sprint, and IM.
BearDevil
tedbear;842566147 said:

From my original list the Furd got one of the must gets and two of our wants . So far we just have one local.

At least we now know that Teri read your list last year, Meehan read your list this year, and both are very good at following directions. Just put together a crappy wish list for next season and hope that it's followed by LSJU, 'SC, Texas, and UVa.
tedbear
BearDevil;842566267 said:

At least we now know that Teri read your list last year, Meehan read your list this year, and both are very good at following directions. Just put together a crappy wish list for next season and hope that it's followed by LSJU, 'SC, Texas, and UVa.

Hahaha! :acclaim:
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842566267 said:

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Brilliant advice lol! Hey tedbear, yesss please do publicise your fake list for the class of 2017 here, and PM the real one to Teri (and us) haha

Well, we had our moment in the recruiting limelight with the [U]Dream Class[/U] last year, and guess it's Stanfurd & U$C's turn to hit a few out of the ballpark this time round.

Frankly does hurt more than a bit after our sky-high expectations from last year's recruiting success + the Natty Champs title, and a plethora of signs originally pointing to the keen interests & compatibility of these key prospects with Bears for the longest time.

Kristen's calming & supportive presence both as the associate head coach and on the recruiting side was definitely felt and will be sorely missed :cry:
But heck, life has its ups and downs, things go round in waves & cycles, the show goes on! :cheer

Like to embrace all the talented commits and potential prospects (Courtney?) with a very warm welcome to the :bear: fam - soo massively excited for your beary bright futures, yay!! #swimonyoubears :beer:

Also want to wish the recruits who chose to go elsewhere all the best, you are all exceptional student-athletes and have much to look forward to! (even if we'll be cheering against you every time you race our much loved swim team :p)

Oh here's a brief summary of the gets for 2016 by a few of the major programmes at this point in time (#2 Beata & #8 Allie are still uncommitted, but weren't recruited or visited the campus):
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------
[COLOR="#000066"][U]
Cal Golden Bears[/U]
#13 Keaton Blovad
#23 Chenoa Devine
#55 Maddie Murphy
#200 Alexa Buckley
#203 Aislinn Light
[/COLOR]
-------

[U]Stanford Cardinal[/U]
#6 Katie Drabot
#11 Erin Voss
#14 Megan Byrnes
#123 Brooke Stenstrom

-------

[U]USC Trojans[/U]
#3 Becca Mann
#4 Stanzi Moseley
#? Louise Hansson {SWE}
#17 Tatum Wade
#75 Piper Brockley

-------

[U]Zona Wildcats[/U]
#5 Hannah Cox
#15 Kirsten Jacobsen
#20 Kennedy Lohman
#219 Abby Miller
#235 Mallory Korenwinder

-------

[U]Texas Longhorns[/U]
#5 Claire Adams
#18 Lauren Case
#80 Kaitlin Harty
#170 Jordan Wheeler

-------

[U]Tenn Volunteers[/U]
#1 Meghan Small
[COLOR="#808080"]#18 Cassy Jernberg => Indiana Hoosiers[/COLOR]
#50 Erika Brown

-------

[U]Georgia Bulldogs[/U]
#7 Veronica Burchill
#246 Katherine Aikins
#383 Sandra Scott
#466 Katherine Parker
#603 Jordyn Gulle
#1040 Mary Cardwell

-------
Note to tedbear: know that you haven't given up completely on Claire or Katie for a last-minute change of mind hehe. If it's any consolation, note that Drabot's announcement was a "Super excited to announce my verbal commitment to Stanford University!" (bolded words mine), so there's technically always a chance for a change of heart before the actual letter of intent signing period
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842566333 said:

Kristen's calming & supportive presence both as the associate head coach and on the recruiting side was definitely felt and will be sorely missed :cry:
But heck, life has its ups and downs, things go round in waves & cycles, the show goes on! :cheer

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Quoting coach Teri at the time of Kristen leaving...
Quote:

I would be remiss if I said that the timing of this change does not create some challenges for the immediate future

...I think it has played a part in our recruiting. Again as I previous commented, she was MIA for championship week, which I found strange. Of course, she could had been busy or didn't want to step on the toes of the interim coach but thought if she left on good terms, she would had been there. I'm just saying. Think there is some negative recruiting going on...........
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

(48) Brittany Kampfer - Duke

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Per above subject.

Brittany (Irvine Novaquatics/Mater Dei HS) joins Alyssa Marsh, Kylie Jordan & Kira Page.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

-------

Amy Okada - [COLOR="#696969"]9 Oct[/COLOR]

tb to all stars 2010 before we all were even close to college .... found this today!

[COLOR="#808080"]Emily Eastin, Katie McLaughlin, Aislinn Light and Courtney Mykkanen[/COLOR]

-------
tedbear
BearDevil;842566168 said:

Ideal transfer or international would be 800 Free leg, 500 Free, 400 IM, and 1650. Small, Cox, and Drabot all had some of that, but there was no perfect Cal recruit (events, academics, cultural) in this class.

2016 is Teri's best window for a title. Next class needs breast, distance, sprint, and IM.

An ideal 2017 recruit who fits the 1650 Free, 500 Free, and 400 IM need would be Isabella Rongione who UAC has mentioned before. Let's add her to the not so fake wish list 😜. Hopefully we get an international transfer this year too, because we are in desperate need.
BearDevil
In state Taylor Ault's in the ball park too. Unfortunately Teri needs those points via international or transfer to remain in the 2017 title hunt.

Check out UAC's Georgia recruiting ratings. Ouch. Maybe the head coach adding a class after finals have already begun for a dumb ass who probably shouldn't even be in college isn't a good idea!?!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

(68) Anina Lund - Cal

-------

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=5]Anina Lund Makes Verbal Commitment To California Golden Bears[/SIZE][/COLOR]

The California Golden Bears claimed a verbal commitment from distance freestyler Anina Lund in a bid to help regain its freestyle strength.

Lund will be a big asset to a program that had not been very strong in distance freestyle recently. She'll partly fill a gap left by the departure of Cierra Runge from the program and will score well in the 500 and 1650 freestyles at the Pac 12 championships in her freshman year.

Lund, who currently represents Badger Swim Club in New York state, holds best times of 4:49.40 in the 500 free and 16:27.90 in the 1650 free that were done at the 2013 U.S. winter nationals. Those would be good for top-16 finishes at the 2015 Pac 12 meet. Lund also has potential to contribute in the 200 free in time, with a 1:50.23 current personal best.

Lund's current long course lifetime bests in distance freestyle were done in 2014, but her 400 free (4:14.91) and 800 free (8:45.22) were fast enough to qualify for the Olympic Trials. She's just seven tenths away from adding the 200 free to her Trials program as well. Her top national finish is an eighth-place spot on the podium in the 1500 free at the 2014 summer nationals, where she posted a 16:36.89.

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/anina-lund-makes-verbal-commitment-to-california-golden-bears/

-------
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842567072 said:

-------

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=5]Anina Lund Makes Verbal Commitment To California Golden Bears[/SIZE][/COLOR]

The California Golden Bears claimed a verbal commitment from distance freestyler Anina Lund in a bid to help regain its freestyle strength.

Lund will be a big asset to a program that had not been very strong in distance freestyle recently. She'll partly fill a gap left by the departure of Cierra Runge from the program and will score well in the 500 and 1650 freestyles at the Pac 12 championships in her freshman year.

Lund, who currently represents Badger Swim Club in New York state, holds best times of 4:49.40 in the 500 free and 16:27.90 in the 1650 free that were done at the 2013 U.S. winter nationals. Those would be good for top-16 finishes at the 2015 Pac 12 meet. Lund also has potential to contribute in the 200 free in time, with a 1:50.23 current personal best.

Lund's current long course lifetime bests in distance freestyle were done in 2014, but her 400 free (4:14.91) and 800 free (8:45.22) were fast enough to qualify for the Olympic Trials. She's just seven tenths away from adding the 200 free to her Trials program as well. Her top national finish is an eighth-place spot on the podium in the 1500 free at the 2014 summer nationals, where she posted a 16:36.89.

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/anina-lund-makes-verbal-commitment-to-california-golden-bears/

-------

A great get for a position that is needed! :cheer
tedbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842566333 said:

-------
Note to tedbear: know that you haven't given up completely on Claire or Katie for a last-minute change of mind hehe. If it's any consolation, note that Drabot's announcement was a "Super excited to announce my verbal commitment to Stanford University!" (bolded words mine), so there's technically always a chance for a change of heart before the actual letter of intent signing period
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

UAC, I think you know that the one I want to really flip, although it's very unlikely, is Hannah Cox. I can can dream though 😁. How about a package deal including Kennedy Lohman which would help our Breaststoke cause too😜.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
tedbear;842569340 said:

UAC, I think you know that the one I want to really flip, although it's very unlikely, is Hannah Cox. I can can dream though ��. How about a package deal including Kennedy Lohman which would help our Breaststoke cause too��.

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Hannah would certainly help Bears massively, looks like Teri wouldn't disagree there since Cox visited the campus during that weekend for priority recruits lol.

Unfortunately for us, the bond Hannah had developed with Kennedy during Jr Worlds appeared to be one of the main impetus for her choosing Zona...and yes, I share a similar fantasy/dream where the pair switches their commitments from UofA to Cal, in exchange for a package deal where Cierra's given permission by Teri to stay in-conference and competes for the Wildcats instead of the Badgers...

Oh, reckon going to the #3 Uni in the world (Cal) may also be, for some, a more attractive proposition than, say, to #67 (Arizona)? :p

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings?int=a27a09

-------

btw, quoting BearDevil's reply to Schroeder71 from the other thread below as there's some really useful info pertinent to the topic here :bravo
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Schroeder71;842567281 said:

Cal will lose five seniors after this season: Liz Pelton, Rachel Bootsma, Kelly Naze, Rachel Acker & Alicia Grima. Will the Bears be able to bring in top quality talent to fill the void? I guess that Cal fans should count Abbey Weitzeil as the first one. Will she be a freshman next season? Pelton & Bootsma are elite while Naze & Acker are solid contributors for the Bears... Also, Missy Franklin is irreplaceable. GO BEARS!

BearDevil;842567308 said:

Different events, but points and scholly $s are roughly equivalent:

-Bootsma=Weitzeil
-Pelton=?
-Cierra=Hull +?
-Naze=Keaton Blovad
-Acker=Chenoa Devine

Additional commits: Maddie Muphy, Light, Alexa Buckley, Anina Lund

Still unclear if there's room for Courtney Mykkanen. Hull + Murphy + the others probably=Cierra + Grima $s.

Need an impact international or transfer to cover Pelton's points and $s to remain in 2017 NCAA title contention.

BearDevil
Speaking of Hannah Cox, noticed she's ranked #10 on collegeswimming. Their rankings are usually funky, but they have 19 of the same top 20 as SwimSwam (who obviously missed out on Cox). Definitely the one who got away.

An interesting new name is Spela Perse from Slovenia. Same hometown (Bled) as former Bear/Silver medalist Sara Isakovic. Decent distance times (comparable to Chenoa, Lund, Simonds), but not a game changer. Need is still for a 200 Free/400 IM scorer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.