Women's Swim Recruiting: Class of 2016

158,224 Views | 423 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
tedbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearDevil;842531492 said:

Tough to project out before the current recruiting class is signed and enrolled, but NY's Maggie Arosty might bear watching. Popov is still the key 2017 breast target, but Arosty may also be able to contribute in breast and IMs. Additionally Keaton and Maija respectively have upside in the 100 and 200.

HK would also work, but Bears will still have McL, Noemie, and Mau. Bayer (LSJU lean) and Orange County's Eva Merrell should be the top 2018 fly targets.

Although, you may have inside info BD, I've always feared that Bayer might be more of a fit for the Furd. From UAC's photos, I think he might agree too. Then again, I thought Claire was destined to be a Bear, so what do I know. But I would take Kuks (Hannah Kukurugya) in a heartbeat. That 2018 Class is shaping up to be huge with Ruck, Homovich, and Merrell. I think Maggie is more of a 200 Breaststroker than a sprinter, so Popov is still very crucial, unless the Turkish girl has any inclinations about coming to Cal :p.
BearDevil
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842531439 said:

-------

Meghan Small - [COLOR="#696969"]27 August[/COLOR]

Too excited for my recruiting trips [COLOR="#FFD700"]������[/COLOR]

-------

Small's taking four trips: Tennessee, Cal, 'SC, and Georgia. LSJU is out and Georgia's in. Georgia needs IMers and has a club connection (Flickinger). LSJU needs another backstroker and another 800 relay leg, although Ledecky, Manuel, Neal, and a random diver is a probable NCAA champ in the 800 Relay.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842531957 said:

Small's taking four trips: Tennessee, Cal, 'SC, and Georgia. LSJU is out and Georgia's in. Georgia needs IMers and has a club connection (Flickinger). LSJU needs another backstroker and another 800 relay leg, although Ledecky, Manuel, Neal, and a random diver is a probable NCAA champ in the 800 Relay.

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Top notch bit of work sussing that piece of info :beer:

Relieved that the Farm's out of consideration, but in retrospect not super surprised based on your earlier comments on Greg Meehan's current needs for his team etc. Haha (nervous laughter there) that the Card would just need 3 of Ledecky, Simone & Lia to swim that entire relay (with KL taking on 2 of their legs) to blitz most of the competition, esp if we don't get Cierra back next year!!

Well if not Bears (perish that thought!), my fervent wish is for Meghan to settle on Tennessee as the lesser of evils...I think! Cos Dawgs need to be kept in the pound as they are too dangerous to let out with all that scholly monies & slots opening up next recruiting year, and U$C may present a potential threat down the road with all their recruiting success as of late...

Anyway, look forward to welcoming Meghan on her recruiting visit here, which now looks like it may be going down at the SDSU game on the 12th, rather than the Grambling State match next Sat.

Meanwhile another Class of 2016 verbal for UofA, from one of our locals (Danville), ranked #25 in CA ... Wildcats already have the #20 commit in the nation, Kennedy Lohman, and #32 in CA recruit Mallory Korenwinder.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------

[SIZE=5]Arizona Nabs Commitment from Abby Miller for Class of 2020[/SIZE]

shabbyabbybeyond: excited to have verbally committed to swim at the University of Arizona❤️��BEAR DOWN��⬇️

http://swimswam.com/arizona-nabs-commitment-from-abby-miller-for-class-of-2020/

-------
tedbear

Great new info BD. I was really fearful about Meghan going to the farm. I'm starting to really like Hannah Cox, so I would be okay with her over Mann. I think we all agree that the "Big Prize" is Drabot.
BearDevil
Thought the Bears needed another 800 Relay leg (Drabot, Small, Adams, Cox) even with Cierra and Abbey. Drabot could also help with the 400 Free Relay and Small/Adams with the medley relays.

Bears also need 400 IM (Small, Mann, Cox), 500 (Drabot, Mann, Cox), 200 Back (Small, Adams), and 1650 (Mann) depth. Can't decide if Mann in Berkeley (along with Small and Drabot) would be a good or bad omen about Cierra's future. Can't see how Abbey, Drabot, Small, and Mann (or Adams) would work financially with Cierra still on the team.

Couple more data points on Cox and Liu. Both swam on the 400 Free relay at Junior Worlds. U.S. team didn't do well (5th). Australia won breaking the former junior world record relay of an American team which included Amy, Drabot, and Stanzi. Liu's (faster) and Cox's (slower) splits were in between Keaton's best 100 yard time (without a relay start). Cox is more versatile than expected. All three might be able to contribute on Cal's 400 Free relay after a few years.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842532174 said:

Thought the Bears needed another 800 Relay leg (Drabot, Small, Adams, Cox) even with Cierra and Abbey. Drabot could also help with the 400 Free Relay.

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Let's just hope that Katie D will be helping with a [COLOR="#FFD700"]Bears[/COLOR] relay, rather than a [COLOR="#B22222"]Card[/COLOR] one lol, since the two just happen to be her dream schools! (see below)
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842405001 said:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/cedarburg-swimmer-katie-drabot-poised-for-olympic-bid-b99392108z1-283151221.html

Drabot wants to swim in college and hopes to have a long career.

"I haven't really started looking but I know ideally what colleges I'd consider: Cal and Stanford," she said of the swimming powerhouses.

BearDevil
Drabot is a really versatile swimmer, but her most immediate international future is the 200 Free. Would fit seamlessly at Cal with a 500 Free, 200 Free, 800 Free relay, 100 Free, 400 Free relay program. Win/win. Nice complement to Small (both IMs, 200 Back, 400 Medley relay, 800 Free relay).
dgong
BearDevil;842532174 said:

Bears also need 400 IM (Small, Mann, Cox), 500 (Drabot, Mann, Cox), 200 Back (Small, Adams), and 1650 (Mann) depth. Can't decide if Mann in Berkeley (along with Small and Drabot) would be a good or bad omen about Cierra's future. Can't see how Abbey, Drabot, Small, and Mann (or Adams) would work financially with Cierra still on the team.

This is the first I have heard about Cierra possibly leaving Cal. Is she seeking a better distance program? Homesick?
BearDevil
dgong;842532385 said:

This is the first I have heard about Cierra possibly leaving Cal. Is she seeking a better distance program? Homesick?

http://swimswam.com/cals-49-point-scorer-cierra-runge-will-sit-out-2015-2016-season/

Cierra thinks that reuniting with club coach Bob Bowman at ASU for (at least) this season gives her the best chance to make the Olympic team. Appears that she believes her best chances are in the 400 or 800 (behind Ledecky) or the 200 (6 relay spots). Training long course for the season with Allison Schmitt (who redshirt from Georgia in 2012) makes sense. There's always a chance she may not return. Her sister, Maddie, is a 2016 recruit, who doesn't appear fast enough to contribute at Cal. Not clear if Runge's frosh roommate Noemie is back at Cal this season either.

Bears had a pretty big returning points advantage this year over Georgia and LSJU, but losing Runge's 50 point is rough. Losing any other returning scorers make a repeat much more dicey. OTOH, a sophomore class of Cierra, Baker, McL, Amy, and Noemie would be formidable. Pretty likely that either Cierra's or Noemie's previously expected 2018 scholly would be targeted toward Taylor Ruck.

Four projected swim scorers every recruiting class would be the ideal balance, but Bears need to upgrade diving recruiting too. Ideal mix may be 4 elite swimmers every year, a couple of high potential developmental swimmers who may not score right away, and an elite diver every other year. Maximum NCAA meet team is 18, divers count 0.5. Doesn't make sense for the Bears to leave any potential scorers home or to add any relay only swimmers.

Bears still needed distance depth (Mann, Jacobsen, Cox), but don't think there's enough room for Abbey, Small, Drabot, and Mann if Cierra's expected to return. Also bears watching where Maddie Runge takes trips.

Durden added Chuck Katis after Higgins broke his hand since Bears looked like a potential NCAA champ. That's also why Teri added Hull this season after Abbey deferred. If Cierra's the last defection, Teri may try and add a mid-year transfer. Have to balance who's available vs 2016 needs and 2017 potential recruits. Not a terrible problem to have, but Teri and Cuonzo now have to juggle potential Olympic deferrals/blueshirts or potential NBA early entrants against rising talent levels.

Teri did a masterful job putting together the Dream Team, but she also did a great job this Spring and Summer holding the class together. Adrian blueshirt and Prenot took a gap year. Missy and Hardy went pro early. Natalie, Murphy, Vollmer, and Shields could have blueshirt and McL, Seliskar, Baker, and Amy could have deferred.
tedbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842528381 said:

---------
[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]
Indeed, these are some very promising future :bear: prospects + future Olympians to keep an eye on... Jr Worlds should be fun & excitement-packed! Though lamentably won't be live-streamed:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
http://swimswam.com/no-live-stream-scheduled-for-2015-world-junior-championships/

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]In deference to tedbear's longstanding wishes for an international recruit lol, assuming Teri can somehow work a miracle and shoehorn a pricey import into her 2016 & 2017 budgets whilst magicking away all potential cultural/social/academic/linguistic barriers haha, how about Russia's Arina Openysheva who had tore it up at the Euro Games w/7 medals this summer? Bears will be more than solid in the 200 individual & 800 free relay for the next few years thanks to the [U]Dream Team[/U] joining Cierra there, but Arina would present even more options with her strong middle distance chops that extend down into the 100 free.

Or perhaps Viktoria Zeynep Gunes from Turkey who's an elite class sprint & longer distance breaststroker with IM skills to boot? rooling

Then there's Tamsin Cook from Oz who could be the answer to our distance prayers...

All three aforementioned young women will be competing @ Jr Worlds next week!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Some thoughts from the now completed Junior Worlds:
1. Viktoria Zeynep Gunes was absolutely dominating this whole week. She won the 50 Breast, 100 Breast, 200 Breast, and 200 IM. This performance includes two Junior World Records in the 200 Breast and 200 IM. Her 200 Breast performance is just 0.53 off the World Record set by Rikke Moeller Pedersen which was set in August of 2013, and is the top time in the world this year! And from UAC's photos, she is cute too . In my dream world, she speaks English really well, and had some kind of Cal connection :p.

2. Lost in all the Taylor Ruck hype is another Canadian who performed really well, Penny Oleksiak. Second in the 50 Fly, second in the 100 Fly, second in the 100 Free, and big contributor to five different relay teams. Looks like her and Ruck are about the same age. That would be a "Dream" package deal in 2018.

3. I've mentioned this before, but I'm really jumping on the Hannah Cox boat as a great addition to our middle and long distance events. She was third in the 200 Free and fourth in the 400 Free. There might be a little too much overlap with Drabot, but still someone who I hope shows up on recruiting weekend.

4. Much has already been said about Taylor Ruck, but I wanted to summarize her performances here. First in the 100 Free, first in the 200 Free, sixth in the 100 Back, third in the 200 Back, and contributor to five different relays. Taylor tried to pull off some crazy as doubles, including a five swim day on Day 3 of the meet. She definitely has the potential to be the next superstar of women's swimming.
BearDevil
Cox is underrated/undervalued. She's consistently managed to get it done on the biggest stages when the stakes are highest. Her 200 Free LCM times this season convert to 1:44 mid, making her the top 200 Free swimmer in the class. Her three best individual events (200 Free, 500 Free, 400 IM) don't work since the 400 IM, 200 Free, and 800 Relay isn't practical on the same day. Teri might be able to develop Cox's 200 Back as her third event. Shows how valuable Cierra is since her three best events are on seperate days plus she can swim a relay leg. Ironically Mann would be uniquely valuable to Cal because she probably can't contribute in the 200, so there's no conflict with the 400 IM.

Gunes has a fascinating back story. Family fled Ukraine for Turkey, can't imagine she's anywhere near her full potential. Turkey's not all that stable either, so conceivably the family could move again to Australia, Canada, or Germany-stable countries who readily accept asylum seekers and have solid swimming infrastructure. Family's immigration status may be tied to her athletic ability and that may hinder her ability to swim in the U.S. Would definitely add a lot to Cal in and out of the pool.
BearDevil
With Ellie Smart no longer on the team and two senior divers, Bears are poised to go after a major diver in this recruiting class.

In general, Teri's shrinking the size of the team. She's able to invest more in high end talent and she wants to minimize the number of swimmers/divers who don't make NCAAs.
OBear073akaSMFan
BearDevil;842533798 said:

With Ellie Smart no longer on the team and two senior divers, Bears are poised to go after a major diver in this recruiting class.

Is it confirm that she is no longer on the team? Do you know if she has given diving or has transferred out?
BearDevil
OBear073akaSMFan;842533821 said:

Is it confirm that she is no longer on the team? Do you know if she has given diving or has transferred out?

Could be injured or transferred, but she's not on the current roster. If she's an NCAA qualifier, but not a scorer, can't see how she makes the Olympic team after a blueshirt.
BearDevil
Recruiting trips start tomorrow. Bears won't start hosting recruits until next weekend. Will be interesting to see if/where Drabot, Small (Tennessee?), Mann, Adams, Cox, Liu, Marsh, and Mykkanen take trips this weekend and who shows up next weekend for the San Diego State game.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842534563 said:

Recruiting trips start tomorrow. Bears won't start hosting recruits until next weekend. Will be interesting to see if/where Drabot, Small (Tennessee?), Mann, Adams, Cox, Liu, Marsh, and Mykkanen take trips this weekend and who shows up next weekend for the San Diego State game.

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]2016 UGA commit Veronica Burchill (from Carmel, Amy & Claire's HS & club team) tweeted this half an hour ago:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------

Veronica Burchill - [COLOR="#696969"]5 Sept 2015[/COLOR]
Saturday in Athens [SIZE=4]❤️����[/SIZE]

-------
Thinking #15 shirt may be [COLOR="#800080"]Katie Drabot[/COLOR], with [COLOR="#008000"]Allie Szekeley[/COLOR] next to her?!

A few others look vaguely familiar but sorry, can't place them exactly right now... if I had to make a really wild guess off the bat, reckon it's possible that Lauren Case, Kirsten Jacobsen or even Lindsey Horejsi may be somewhere in this group photo...or I could be just hallucinating lol

Doesn't look like Meghan Small, Claire Adams, Becca Mann, Hannah Cox, Beata Nelson or Erin Voss are there... YMMV though!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
BearDevil
Dream Team indeed. If Missy and Cierra stayed and Abbey enrolled, Bears would have put up 60 in the first half...
BearDevil
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842535796 said:

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]2016 UGA commit Veronica Burchill (from Carmel, Amy & Claire's HS & club team) tweeted this half an hour ago:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------

Veronica Burchill - [COLOR="#696969"]5 Sept 2015[/COLOR]
Saturday in Athens [SIZE=4]❤️����[/SIZE]

-------
Thinking #15 shirt may be [COLOR="#800080"]Katie Drabot[/COLOR], with [COLOR="#008000"]Allie Szekeley[/COLOR] next to her?!

A few others look vaguely familiar but sorry, can't place them exactly right now... if I had to make a really wild guess off the bat, reckon it's possible that Lauren Case, Kirsten Jacobsen or even Lindsey Horejsi may be somewhere in this group photo...or I could be just hallucinating lol

Doesn't look like Meghan Small, Claire Adams, Becca Mann, Hannah Cox, Beata Nelson or Erin Voss are there... YMMV though!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Goff and Missy are pals. AS (5th girl) is the only one I recognize for sure. Is Burchill the 8th one? Lauren Case has to be there too.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

BearDevil;842536163 said:

AS (5th girl) is the only one I recognize for sure. Is Burchill the 8th one? Lauren Case has to be there too.

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Yup, Allie = 5th & Veronica = 8th one (the ginger in pink shorts).
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Allie Szekely - [COLOR="#696969"]6 Sept[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]University of Georgia[/COLOR]
Crave the rave [SIZE=4]��[/SIZE] #sooocollege #godawgs �� [SIZE=4]��[/SIZE]

[INDENT][COLOR="#808080"]Megan Kingsley, Allie & James Guest[/COLOR][/INDENT]

-------

Katie also (doubly) confirmed - just keeping me fingers crossed that UGA is just a backup plan for her tho :p
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Katie Drabot - [COLOR="#696969"]5 Sept[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]University of Georgia Sanford Stadium[/COLOR]
It's Saturday in Athens...recruiting trip style [SIZE=4]��[/SIZE]

[INDENT][COLOR="#808080"]Katie & Allie[/COLOR][/INDENT]
[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=3]Update[/SIZE][/COLOR]: ^^ above photo of Drabot's UGA visit has been deleted from her account...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

-------

Small's taking four trips: [U]Tennessee[/U], Cal, 'SC, and Georgia. LSJU is out and Georgia's in.

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Spot on once again re Meghan checking out Tenn! Looks like Dawgs are out for her then?

I spy Erika Brown & Chenoa Devine too! Pretty sure Lady Vols commit Brianna Leverenz (Caitlin's sis) was also there
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Meghan Small - [COLOR="#696969"]5 Sept[/COLOR]
Are you from Tennessee?...... Cause you're the only ten-I-see [COLOR="#FFA500"]��[/COLOR]⬜️[COLOR="#FFA500"]��[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#808080"]Madison Preiss (Aquajets, MN), Erika, Meghan, Kaitlin Harty (Greenwood, MA), Tevyn Waddell (Mitchell, SD), Chenoa Devine (Davis, CA), Brooke Bauer (Lakeside, KY)[/COLOR]

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

BearDevil;842536163 said:

AS (5th girl) is the only one I recognize for sure. Is Burchill the 8th one? Lauren Case has to be there too.

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Hmmm, upon a 2nd scan, seems that Lauren Case isn't actually in that group photo @ Sanford Stadium - here's what she looks like:

[INDENT][COLOR="#808080"]Lauren Case[/COLOR][/INDENT]

-------

Had also initially thought/imagined that the 3rd person in original pic may have been Lindsey Horejsi, and the 4th one possibly Kirsten Jacobsen...

Judging from their photos below tho, guess I was merely hallucinating ork:, as neither of the pair remotely matches any of the recruits in that Georgia group photo hehe!

[INDENT][COLOR="#808080"]Lindsey Horejsi[/COLOR][/INDENT]

[INDENT][COLOR="#808080"]Kirsten Jacobsen[/COLOR][/INDENT]

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------
BearDevil
Drabot visiting Georgia is a surprise (Cal, LSJU, maybe Wisconsin), but think Becca Mann not visiting is much more surprising. Bears lead for Small. Cox is interested in 'Zona. Thought Marsh would be between Cal, Auburn, and LSJU, but Louisville is in the mix to develop her as a flyer. Mykkanen may be the legacy recruit.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842536701 said:

Cox is interested in 'Zona.

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Sounds like UofA will be hosting their recruiting bash in less than a fortnight's time, judging from 2016 Wildcat commit Kennedy's tweet. As noted by BD, Hannah's scheduled to make a trip there.

Will be interesting to see if Cox will make an appearance at the SDSU game this coming weekend, which is when we are guessing that the main wave of baby :bear: prospects will show up on campus...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------

Kennedy Lohman - [COLOR="#696969"]1 Sept[/COLOR]

Best part about this trip was meeting @hannahqcox [SIZE=4]❤️[/SIZE] see you in 16 days

-------
BearDevil
There's a lot of overlap between Small, Drabot, Mann, and Cox. With Abbey and KB already on board, Bears can probably only add 2 of the 4. Would not be surprised to see 3 visit, but would be surprised to see all 4 visit.

Small may not have as many Cal ties as Mann, Drabot, and Adams, but both sides have had mutual interest for a long time.

Georgia's still going to have an excellent class, but their ties to NCAP and NBAC have frayed. Ledecky's coach's son swam for Georgia, but none of Hu, Ledecky, and Brynes even visited. Schmitt and Kaliez redshirt to train for the Olympics, but Cierra and Mann didn't visit. Georgia's been on Sierra Schmidt for awhile, but think she'll end up at Michigan.
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842536792 said:

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]S
Will be interesting to see if Cox will make an appearance at the SDSU game this coming weekend, which is when we are guessing that the main wave of baby :bear: prospects will show up on campus...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------
-------

Wonder if Missy will be attending this game for recruiting purposes. It would be Bear-rific!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842536894 said:

Wonder if Missy will be attending this game for recruiting purposes. It would be Bear-rific!

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] Well Bulldawgs did bring out their big guns at yesterday's game - Schmitty, Vreeland, Romano & Gemmell, as well as MacLean, Van Landeghem & Kalisz:

Hopefully Bears will do likewise with our Olympians/royalty - Missy, Natalie, Caitlin, Dana, Nathan & Anthony! Would be sweet if Abbey was to show up too.

That is, assuming Missy isn't otherwise too preoccupied with reading "Queen of Shadows" (latest Sarah J. Maas novel) lol, which coincidentally is also a fave series of mine :p
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Missy Franklin - [COLOR="#696969"]2 Sept[/COLOR]
This is what happens when @cierrarunge and I totally dork out when the fourth book in the Throne of Glass series comes out... #ourkindleshavebeenpreparingforthis #thetimehascome

-------

BearDevil;842523068 said:

Two names that haven't been discussed are Kenisha Liu and Hannah Cox. Liu's an in-state sprinter and Cox could help in 500 Free, 400 IM, and 200 Free. Cox may not work as well as Mann, but probably more valuable to the Bears than Jacobsen. A Vermont pipeline could pay off every 40 years or so.

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Found out Kenisha already has trips scheduled for [U]UH[/U] (Hawaii? Houston?), [U]Duke[/U] & [U]UCLA[/U], would also like to plan one for [U]LSJU[/U].

No projected visits to Berkeley tho...

-------

btw, Claire's in Chicago this weekend, but seems to be a personal trip rather than one of a recruiting nature:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Claire Adams - 5 Sept

Girls weekend in Chi town [SIZE=4]��[/SIZE]

-------
BearDevil
Liu's getting slow played on the farm while they wait to hear from a faster sprinter (Drabot?).

Horejsi was in Knoxville with Small. Pretty sure 'SC verbal Tatum Wade was there too.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842536792 said:

Sounds like UofA will be hosting their recruiting bash in less than a fortnight's time, judging from 2016 Wildcat commit Kennedy's tweet. As noted by BD, Hannah's scheduled to make a trip there.

Actually 'Zona had already held a recruiting affair last weekend, where Kirsten Jacobsen showed up along with Amy Okada for a spot of, er, cliff diving... :eek:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------

Kirsten Jacobsen- [COLOR="#696969"]30 Aug[/COLOR]

I jumped off a cliff on my first recruiting trip [SIZE=4]��✔️[/SIZE]

[COLOR="#8B4513"]VIDEO ->[/COLOR] https://scontent-lga1-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t50.2886-16/11928387_1637553316492577_388479281_n.mp4

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Kirsten's @ IU this weekend:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------

Kirsten Jacobsen- [COLOR="#696969"]6 Sept[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#808080"]Indiana University[/COLOR]

I found a super cute puppy on my second recruiting trip [SIZE=4]✔️[/SIZE]

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842537102 said:

Liu's getting slow played on the farm while they wait to hear from a faster sprinter (Drabot?).

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Have to believe that [U]Cal[/U] & [U]LSJU[/U] are tops on Katie's shopping list. Hopefully she'll see the light and sensibly don the blue & gold hehe!
Same sentiment applies to Meghan!

And, Claire, if you aren't considering the Bears for whatever reason, please please do not even contemplate being put out to pasture at the farm... :p

At any rate, we'll likely get an idea of the main players targeted by Teri (this coming weekend?) before seeing Meehan's picks, since Greg's furdettes are off to Kihei for their annual preseason team retreat:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Liz Eastin - [COLOR="#696969"]Sept 6[/COLOR]
Well, the day finally arrived and we are sending @ellaeastin off to Stanford. Couldn't be more proud or excited for you! Have fun in Maui with your teammates...see you at the dorms! #missualready #gotrees

[video=youtube;miVXvVfAlww][/video]

-------

BearDevil;842537102 said:

Horejsi was in Knoxville with Small. Pretty sure 'SC verbal Tatum Wade was there too.

[COLOR="#006699"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Wow, nice one there!!! :bravo Had seen Lindsey's tweet but hadn't even noticed the UT logo & colours...also didn't expand the image at the time to reveal the telltale "Vols Swimming" sign, , duh! ork:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Lindsey Horejsi - [COLOR="#696969"]Sept 6[/COLOR]
Every second. Every minute. Every hour. Every day. Getting faster.

-------
BearDevil
Assume Liu means Harvard. Would fit better with LSJU, Duke, and UCLA. Harvard may put her on the clock academically if she doesn't accept right away and LSJU won't take her over a faster swimmer. Duke and UCLA will keep a slot open for her until the end.

Bears would use Small like LSJU (DiRado) and Florida (Beisell): 200 IM, 400 Medley (Back), 400 IM, and 200 Back. Sub Amy in the back leg on the 200 Medley to keep Small fresh for the 400 IM. Can also use Small for an 800 Free leg to let Abbey anchor both medleys. Wouldn't be able to use Small on the 800 Free if it were still on Friday.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

[SIZE=5]World Record Setter Katie Ledecky Leads USA Swimming Scholastic Squad[/SIZE]

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. USA Swimming National Team members Katie Ledecky (Bethesda, Md./Nation's Capital Swim Club), Claire Adams (Carmel, Ind./Carmel Swim Club) and Maxime Rooney (Livermore, Calif./ Pleasanton Seahawks) headline a list of over 1,900 prep swimmers honored by USA Swimming this week as 2014-15 Scholastic All-America selections.

After earning 4.0 grade point averages and national championship victories during the 2014-15 season, Ledecky, Adams and Rooney received the only perfect scores among the 1,925 swimmers honored this year. With her selection, Ledecky becomes a three-time SAA team member. She won five gold medals at the 2015 FINA World Championships last month in Kazan, Russia.

The Southern Zone led the way with 585 Scholastic All-America selections. North Carolina Swimming topped the LSC rankings with 119 honorees, while Nation's Capital Swim Club-PV was the top club with 42 swimmers recognized.

Visit usaswimming.org for a complete breakdown of the 2014-15 USA Swimming Scholastic All-America team. The application for the 2015-16 team will be available June 1, 2016.

In order to be considered for the Scholastic All-America Team, swimmers must maintain a 3.5 GPA for the current academic year and swim a time equal to a 2011 Junior Nationals bonus time in any event during the qualification period. High school sophomores, juniors and seniors are eligible for inclusion.

http://swimswam.com/world-record-setter-katie-ledecky-leads-usa-swimming-scholastic-squad/

-------

2014-2015 Women's Scholastic All-America: http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/1999-2007%20Scholastic%20All%20American%20Teams/31806bb5-2ec5-42fd-9766-3a70a60cf3a9/2015%20SAA%20Final%20Girls%20082915.pdf

2014-2015 Men's Scholastic All-America: http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/1999-2007%20Scholastic%20All%20American%20Teams/39c1aca8-7218-420f-932d-e260b40e332b/2015%20SAA%20Final%20Boys%20082915.pdf

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------
No-brainer guess here would be that Em & Alyssa are being recruited by Greg Meehan over at the farm?? :p
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------

Emily Eastin - [COLOR="#696969"]8 Sept 2015[/COLOR]

happy birthday Alyssa. Can't wait to see you in just two weeks!! ��

-------
BearDevil
Don't doubt that both are being recruited by LSJU, but they're not home until the first weekend in October. Probably talking about a recruit trip to Duke or Michigan.
tedbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842538893 said:

-------

[SIZE=5]World Record Setter Katie Ledecky Leads USA Swimming Scholastic Squad[/SIZE]

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – USA Swimming National Team members Katie Ledecky (Bethesda, Md./Nation’s Capital Swim Club), Claire Adams (Carmel, Ind./Carmel Swim Club) and Maxime Rooney (Livermore, Calif./ Pleasanton Seahawks) headline a list of over 1,900 prep swimmers honored by USA Swimming this week as 2014-15 Scholastic All-America selections.

After earning 4.0 grade point averages and national championship victories during the 2014-15 season, Ledecky, Adams and Rooney received the only perfect scores among the 1,925 swimmers honored this year. With her selection, Ledecky becomes a three-time SAA team member. She won five gold medals at the 2015 FINA World Championships last month in Kazan, Russia.

The Southern Zone led the way with 585 Scholastic All-America selections. North Carolina Swimming topped the LSC rankings with 119 honorees, while Nation’s Capital Swim Club-PV was the top club with 42 swimmers recognized.

Visit usaswimming.org for a complete breakdown of the 2014-15 USA Swimming Scholastic All-America team. The application for the 2015-16 team will be available June 1, 2016.

In order to be considered for the Scholastic All-America Team, swimmers must maintain a 3.5 GPA for the current academic year and swim a time equal to a 2011 Junior Nationals bonus time in any event during the qualification period. High school sophomores, juniors and seniors are eligible for inclusion.

http://swimswam.com/world-record-setter-katie-ledecky-leads-usa-swimming-scholastic-squad/

-------

2014-2015 Women's Scholastic All-America: http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/1999-2007%20Scholastic%20All%20American%20Teams/31806bb5-2ec5-42fd-9766-3a70a60cf3a9/2015%20SAA%20Final%20Girls%20082915.pdf

2014-2015 Men's Scholastic All-America: http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/1999-2007%20Scholastic%20All%20American%20Teams/39c1aca8-7218-420f-932d-e260b40e332b/2015%20SAA%20Final%20Boys%20082915.pdf

-------

Amy and Jenna Campbell are on that list too, along with Katie (2016) and Kuks (2017).

Hmmm, the mystery of Claire Adams. Let's review:
1. Great swimmer
2. Great academic fit
3. Personable and charismatic
4. Several friends already on the team
5. Would help with 100 Back, 200 Back, 200 Free, and potentially three relays
6. No big time backstrokers in 2017, and of course no guarantee we get Ruck in 2018

If Teri decided not to give Claire a full offer then I think this is a huge mistake on her part. I keep hoping there is information that we don't know, like Claire's parents are really conservative and don't want to send their daughter to hippie land. Or Teri promised Amy and Kathleen that she wouldn't recruit another backstroker if they came to Cal together. (Of course this doesn't explain the recruitment of Small who can swim the 200 Back.) I really hope that Claire shows up on Saturday, but we will see.

Speaking of Saturday, who is going to the game to scope out our 2016 recruiting class? A spot near the North Tunnel would be perfect. You might have to show up early though, because they usually don't stay for the whole game. I guess we can always wait for UAC's social media super sleuthing .

As an overall summary to what I have read from the weekend.
-Katie went to Georgia, which is a surprise because she has always mentioned Cal and the Furd as her favorites.
-Meghan went to Tennessee which is a surprise because Georgia was in her final four list. Also she seems to have dropped the Furd, and is leaning toward Cal.
-Allie Szekeley was at Georgia, and has also been to Virginia. No known Cal interest.
-Hannah Cox is going to the Arizona in two weeks, and is really close to her Team USA roommate, Kennedy Lohman. No known connection to Cal
-Horegsi was at Tennessee. No known Cal interest.
-Marsh possibly going to the Furd
-Liu is desperately seeking a Furd offer, but is getting slow played. Interest from Duke, UCLA, and Harvard. No known interest from Cal.
-No new info on Mann, Voss, or Nelson
BearDevil
Don't think Georgia is Drabot's or Szekely's first choice, but they can offer the most scholly money because if so many openings due to last year's recruiting misses. Isn't Small's first choice either since she wouldn't have visited SEC rival Tennessee instead. Definitely surprised that Adams, Mann, and Lauren Case (all with Georgia ties) didn't visit. Bears and LSJU have the same problem-have to float a superstar (Abbey & Ledecky) and with limited senior scholly $s may not be able to fit everyone they want.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.