2020 Women's Swimming Recruiting

139,675 Views | 282 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

Yuri already making quite an impact as Head Coach w/the Badgers - Beata & her records @ 2019 NCAAs, and now on the recruiting front!

#6 Phoebe Bacon -> Wisconsin

CS Ranking as of commit: #3 Nat, #1 MD

https://instagr.am/p/Bwfz-iZpf5a
Congrats to Yuri and team. Would take Phoebe's commitment to the Badgers over one to the Dawgs, IMO, but congrats to another young stud for making her academic/athletic decision! Crazy to see the talent (particularly on the backstroke end of things) of so many of these high school recruits in this class.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012 said:

Which 2020 Recruits are Visiting Which Schools? (rankings based on NCAA finish)

#4 Michigan: #3 Isabelle Stadden, #6 Phoebe Bacon, #8 Quinn Schaedler, #11 Kathryn Ackerman *commit*, Claire Donan (#34) *commit*, Emma Atkinson (#37), Janessa Matthews (#43), Sophie Housey (#55), Andrea Santander (#76), Noelle Kaufmann (#118) *commit*, Claire Tuttle (#129) *commit*, Sophie Tuinman (#138), Casey Chung (#145) *commit*, Hanna Henderson (? - CAN)

Last Updated: 4/21/19

#8 Quinn Schaedler -> UM

CS ranking as of commit: #33 Nat, #3 TX

#8 QUINN SCHAEDLER SENDS VERBAL TO MICHIGAN WOLVERINES FOR 2020

Swimmingnerd
Another crazy post... UVA

https://instagr.am/p/BwvIAfPAIlB
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Swimmingnerd said:

Another crazy post... UVA

I'd haphazard a wild guess that the 2020 commit referred to here may be, Emma Weyant??

Will certainly be interesting to see who it is what with all the fireworks & such... :p

------

Also:
https://instagr.am/p/BwvKivNgSE5

Although, that rather bold claim above is actually more than solidly backed up by the Hoos' wildly impressive recruiting momentum under the dynamic DeSorbo coaching regime.

UVA
2016 Recruits Class = n/a -> 2017 NCAA finish = 12th
2017 Recruits Class = #12 -> 2018 NCAA finish = 9th
2018 Recruits Class = #11 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 6th

Carol's Horns & Salo's Trojanettes as usual hauled in a massively talented crop from what's widely acknowledged as one of the strongest recruiting classes to date (Louisville, Michigan & NC State enjoying quite a bit of success as well) - but there was never much doubt that Virginia will end up on top of Swimswam's rankings for 2020 when all's done (and right up there for their 2019 class) even before this latest effusively celebratory announcement from UVa.

Cavaliers are definitely a credible threat for the National title in a few years time, and will surely be in contention for Top 3 sooner rather than later...

------
  • UPDATE ->
Not that Meehan's Furdette Machine will be giving much ground to the "upstart" challenger anytime soon...

Based on the as yet uncommitted top talent who have taken trips to the Farm - #1 Regan Smith, #9 Emma Weyant, #10 Lillie Nordmann, #14 Isabel Gormley, #24 Janelle Rudolph & #34 Samantha Pearson (national rankings according to College Swimming) - LSJU would easily lay a legit claim to the #2 spot (if not the top) for this uber recruiting class - if the Trees can secure a majority of those 6 listed top prospects, starting with Regan!

There's some speculation that Pearson may be Ivies bound though, based upon her parents' legacies...

Now we'll learn soon enough if Weyant is the latest Wahoo commit referred to here, and Bears would always lay out the welcome mat for any of these over-achieving standouts in both the classroom & in the pool (Gormley & Rudolph look to have an interest in Cal as mentioned earlier, and Pearson would be a great in-state get - with the caveat that there has been no known visit to Berkeley at her end thus far).

But reckon the stark reality is that the closer we get to 1 June without a verbal from this group, the greater the chances are of these brilliant prospects signing on to the Furdette cause, seeing that Stanford Asmissions is said to require transcripts from the recruit's Junior year before a formal offer can be given out...

------
Swimmingnerd
Exactly... and It seems like they may need more girls than boys... we will see soon enough!!
bearz012

Nicole: "I am grateful to announce my verbal commitment to continue my education and swimming career at the University of California, Berkeley as part of the Class of 2024. I chose Cal because of the wonderful team and staff, programs that challenge me to be the best I can be, and the amazing diversity found in the campus environment. I would also like to thank everyone who has supported me throughout this journey. Go Bears!"

CAL EARNS VERBAL COMMITMENT FROM PHILIPPINES NAT'L TEAMER NICOLE OLIVA

CS ranking as of verbal: #37 Nat, #2 CA

Welcome to the Bear Family, Nicole!
OBear073akaSMFan
bearz012 said:

Nicole: "I am grateful to announce my verbal commitment to continue my education and swimming career at the University of California, Berkeley as part of the Class of 2024. I chose Cal because of the wonderful team and staff, programs that challenge me to be the best I can be, and the amazing diversity found in the campus environment. I would also like to thank everyone who has supported me throughout this journey. Go Bears!"

CS ranking as of verbal: #37 Nat, #2 CA

Welcome to the Bear Family, Nicole!

Yes, welcome to CAL! Looks like in the WCAL championship she was 1st in the 200 & 500 free. She looks to d the fly too. Will these be her specialty events?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Thanks for breaking the news, bearz012!

Philippines National Teamer Nicole Oliva Verbally Commits to Cal for 2020

https://instagr.am/p/Bw0vwVMlKUn

Ideally rounded out by academically-inclined prospects who project to be a good fit with the team... + top in-states such as but not limited to Samantha Pearson, Nicole Oliva, Tea Laughlin - heck, maybe even an international or mid/lower-tier legacy?
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Yes, welcome to CAL! Looks like in the WCAL championship she was 1st in the 200 & 500 free. She looks to d the fly too. Will these be her specialty events?

OBear - yup, Nicole Oliva's strengths appear to be quite rangy - more focussed on the mid to distance free area (her 500 & 200 Free times are very solid), but with decent developmental times in the 100 & the mile. Would venture that her 100 back (53.71) is ahead of her fly (55.14)...

Nicole hails from Santa Clara Swim Club, which has become as much of a recruiting pipeline for Cal as PASA has been of late - i.e. Sophie & Jarod H, 2020 commit Dylan Hawk, former swim Bear Cat Ladd etc.

At any rate - welcome to Bear Territory, Nicole!

Schroeder71
Congrats, to Nicole Oliva from Saint Francis-Mountain (CCS). I see Cal also landed the #3 swimmer in the class of 2020, Isabelle Stadden, from Minnesota. She seems to be primarily a back stroker which the Bears need for the future. Another Izzy?
https://swimswam.com/3-isabelle-stadden-announces-verbal-commitment-to-cal-for-2020/
Bears added Gracie Felner from state of WA, too.
GO BEARS!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

I'd haphazard a wild guess that the 2020 commit referred to here may be, Emma Weyant??

Emma's progression curve has been quite spectacular as of late, and she's even more adept in long course to boot.

Weyant has already taken known trips to the Farm and to Athens on top of Charlottesville.

Emma Weyant => UVa

CS ranking as of commit: #9 Nat, #1 FL

-------

Emma Weyant, Junior Pan Pac Champion, Verbally Commits to Virginia For Fall of 2020

-------
HBear
Rerank: TOP 20 NCAA SWIMMING RECRUITS IN THE GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2020

swimmer19

Nicole Oliva's strengths appear to be quite rangy - more focussed on the mid to distance free area (her 500 & 200 Free times are very solid), but with decent developmental times in the 100 & the mile. Would venture that her 100 back (53.71) is ahead of her fly (55.14)...
4 RACES TO WATCH, FULL PSYCH SHEETS FOR 2019 CIF CENTRAL SECTION CHAMPS

Saint Francis High School junior Nicole Oliva is the heavy favorite in both girls distance events, and could go after some pretty lofty section records in both races.

RACES TO WATCH:

GIRLS 200 & 500 FREE

Saint Francis High School junior Nicole Oliva is the heavy favorite in both girls distance events, and could go after some pretty lofty section records in both races. She's the top seed in the 500 free at 4:51, but has been as fast as 4:42 at Winter Juniors at the club level this year. The section record is a 4:43.96 set by Jasmine Tosky in the super-suited 2009 era, and Oliva has a real shot to knock it down.

In the 200, the record is 1:43.26, also set by Tosky, in 2012. That's a tougher stretch for Oliva (career-best 1:46.3), but she's the top seed by several seconds. Oliva was just outside our top 20 recruits in the nation for her class, and a big high school postseason could launch her into that list when we re-rank them next year. Oliva competes in the U.S. but represents the Philippines internationally; she's already competed for the Philippines at the 2017 World Championships. She's a commit to the University of California.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swimmer19 said:

4 RACES TO WATCH, FULL PSYCH SHEETS FOR 2019 CIF CENTRAL SECTION CHAMPS

GIRLS 200 & 500 FREE

Saint Francis High School junior Nicole Oliva is the heavy favorite in both girls distance events, and could go after some pretty lofty section records in both races.

Oliva was just outside our top 20 recruits in the nation for her class, and a big high school postseason could launch her into that list when we re-rank them next year.

She's a commit to the University of California.

Also competing @ CIF-CCS this week will be a pair of Baby bears - 2019 Dani Carter (100 Fly & 100 Back), and on the men's side, 2020 Dylan Hawk (200 & 100 Free).

Down south @ CIF-SS, 2019 Ayla Spitz will lead the charge (200 & 100 Free) in Division 1, whilst 2019 Emma Davidson (50 Free & 100 Breast) will race in Division 2.

-------

CALIFORNIA SOUTHERN SECTION SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS BEGIN ON WEDNESDAY

"This year, defending 100 free champion Ella Ristic, who is entered in the 100 and 200 free, will run in to a big challenger in the form of Newport Harbor's Ayla Spitz, who is the top seed in both races.

In the 100, Spitz is seeded at 48.63, and in the 200 free she's seeded at 1:45.02. In fact: the top 3 in those events are the exact same: Spitz, Foothill junior Samantha Pearson, and Ristic.

Last year, Person won the 200 ahead of Spitz with Ristic 3rd, and Spitz won the 500. The latter making a shift to the 100 and 200 from the 200 and 500 puts 3 of the meet's biggest names on the girls side in direct competition."

-------
  • UPDATE ->
@ CIF-CCS Finals, 2020 commit Nicole Oliva (Saint Francis Mountain View) took the 200 Free crown courtesy of her 1:47.03 . PR remains a 1:46.32 @ 2018 Winter Jrs West.

Nicole capped that off with her 2nd win of the day in the 500 Free, thanks to her 4:47.47. Lifetime best is a 4:42.51, also from 2018 Winter Jrs West.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swimmer19 said:

looks like Gracie Felner (#2 WA, #61 Nat) is our very first 2020 commit.

Welcome to Cal, Gracie!!

CAL SECURES VERBAL COMMITMENT FROM 2X WINTER JUNIORS CHAMP GRACIE FELNER

Gracie Felner of Burien, Washington has announced her verbal commitment to the University of California, Berkeley for 2020-21. She will join Isabelle Stadden and Nicole Oliva in the class of 2024.

"I am so excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim and study at the University of California Berkeley class of 2024! I'd like to thank Coach Teri and Coach Sarah for the time they spent showing me what being a Golden Bear is truly about. Thank you to everyone who has supported me, it's truly a dream come true. GO BEARS"
Felner is quite versatile and will contribute to the Golden Bears in a number of ways. Her best times would have scored at 2019 Pac-12 Championships in the B finals of the 100 free and 100 breast and the C finals of the 200 free, 200 breast, 100 fly, and 200 IM.
HBear
swimmer19 said:

Sophie Housey was on campus this weekend, along with Olivia Livingston and Nathalie Valdman (#8 WA, #284 Nat):

https://instagr.am/p/BwTBnPfANdn

Brief follow-up: 3X PIAA 3A CHAMPION OLIVIA LIVINGSTON SENDS VERBAL TO LOUISVILLE FOR 2020

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

"Way too early" lol - here's Swimswam's Top 20 for the class of 2021.

Several familiar names who have earned past mentions on the board - Gretchen Walsh, Torri Huske, Grace Sheble, Ashley Strouse, Annabel Crush, Mariah Denigan, etc. etc.

A few interesting comments in reaction to the writeup below:

- "4 of the top 14 from Virginia. Mr. DeSorbo will be busy recruiting in-state."

- "2-3 recruit are from Virginia, 4th recruit is from ncap not far away. Top recruits older sister is going to UVA. Uva coaches must be cheering about this class"

-------

WAY TOO EARLY NCAA RECRUIT RANKS: GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2021

#1 Gretchen Walsh

-------
  • UPDATE ->
TOP TIMES IN THE CLASS OF 2021

50 Free | Gretchen Walsh | 21.82
100 Free | Gretchen Walsh | 47.49
200 Free | Gretchen Walsh | 1:44.91
500 Free | Paige McKenna | 4:41.21
1000 Free** | Paige McKenna | 9:35.99
1650 Free | Paige McKenna | 15:48.07
100 Back | Gretchen Walsh | 51.57
200 Back | Reilly Tiltmann | 1:54.18
100 Breast | Asia Minnes | 1:00.61
200 Breast | Brooke Zettel | 2:12.00
100 Fly | Torri Huske | 51.29
200 Fly | Grace Sheble | 1:54.84
200 IM | Grace Sheble | 1:57.00
400 IM | Grace Sheble | 4:06.35

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HBear said:

Rerank: TOP 20 NCAA SWIMMING RECRUITS IN THE GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2020

For reference, here are the updated times, ranking & blurb for 2020 Baby Bear Isabelle, from the above SS article:

--------

4. Isabelle Stadden (Previous Rank: #3) - Aquajets Swim Team - Blaine High School - Blaine, MN **Verbally committed to Cal**
Best Times: 200 back - 1:50.37, 100 back - 51.23, 200 IM - 1:59.56, 400 IM - 4:15.77, 100 fly - 54.39

Stadden moves down one spot, but only for a few pretty minor reasons. She's seen big improvements to her endurance (from 1:52.0 to 1:50.3 in the 200 back), but pretty slim ones in her sprints (51.3 to 51.2 in the 100 back). This class is incredibly stacked with backstrokers, and Stadden doesn't yet have a great third event or big free relay value. Still, she's a really elite talent to be sitting at #4. Stadden had a big long course summer, too, going from 2:11 to 2:08 in the 200 meter backstroke (though her 100 has remained the same as it was at this point last year). Stadden comes out of the same Aquajets club that produced 2012 Olympian and multi-time NCAA champ Rachel Bootsma, and she's picked the same school - Cal - where Bootsma won her titles.

--------

Quote:

Based on the as yet uncommitted top talent who have taken trips to the Farm - #1 Regan Smith, #9 Emma Weyant, #10 Lillie Nordmann, #14 Isabel Gormley, #24 Janelle Rudolph & #34 Samantha Pearson (national rankings according to College Swimming) - LSJU would easily lay a legit claim to the #2 spot (if not the top) for this uber recruiting class - if the Trees can secure a majority of those 6 listed top prospects, starting with Regan!

There's some speculation that Pearson may be Ivies bound though, based upon her parents' legacies...

Now we'll learn soon enough if Weyant is the latest Wahoo commit referred to here, and Bears would always lay out the welcome mat for any of these over-achieving standouts in both the classroom & in the pool (Gormley & Rudolph look to have an interest in Cal as mentioned earlier, and Pearson would be a great in-state get - with the caveat that there has been no known visit to Berkeley at her end thus far).

Of significance is that every single one of the aforementioned Stanford visitors who are presently still uncommitted have earned a place on Swimswam's re-rank of the Top 20 (either as a new entrant or as a placement upgrade - tho guess one can't improve much on #1, as in Regan's case lol):

1. Regan Smith (Previous Rank: #1) Riptide Lakeville North High School Lakeville, MN

6. Lillie Nordmann (Previous Rank: #18) Magnolia Aquatic Club The Woodlands High School The Woodlands, TX

19. Janelle Rudolph (Previous Rank: N/A) Pro Swimming Bellevue High School Bellevue, WA

HM. Isabel Gormley (Asphalt Green Aquatics New York, NY)

HM. Samantha Pearson (Unattached / Foothill High School Irvine, CA)

--------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

https://instagr.am/p/BwvKivNgSE5

Although, that rather bold claim above is actually more than solidly backed up by the Hoos' wildly impressive recruiting momentum under the dynamic DeSorbo coaching regime.

UVA
2018 Recruits Class = #11 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 6th

Carol's Horns & Salo's Trojanettes as usual hauled in a massively talented crop from what's widely acknowledged as one of the strongest recruiting classes to date (Louisville, Michigan & NC State enjoying quite a bit of success as well) - but there was never much doubt that Virginia will end up on top of Swimswam's rankings for 2020 when all's done (and right up there for their 2019 class) even before this latest effusively celebratory announcement from UVa.

Cavaliers are definitely a credible threat for the National title in a few years time, and will surely be in contention for Top 3 sooner rather than later...

Not that Meehan's Furdette Machine will be giving much ground to the "upstart" challenger anytime soon lol.

Here are some recent Recruiting v. NCAA records that I looked up for a few more collegiate women's programmes (all the creds due Swimswam's Andrew Mering for originally compiling the data pertaining to individuals & classes).

With the caveat that the data set & perspective that I have haphazardly outlined here are somewhat limited...not really comprehensive enough to draw any truly meaningful conclusions :p

Apologise also in advance if I had entered any errant info here, please feel welcome to correct!

--------

Stanford
2016 Recruits Class = #1 -> 2017 NCAA finish = 1st
2017 Recruits Class = #1 -> 2018 NCAA finish = 1st
2018 Recruits Class = #1 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 1st (456.5 pts)
... 2019 NCAA Senior points loss for 2020 NCAAs = 69
... 2019 NCAA Junior points loss for 2021 NCAAs = 39.5

Cal
2016 Recruits Class = #2 -> 2017 NCAA finish = 2nd
2017 Recruits Class = #5 -> 2018 NCAA finish = 2nd
2018 Recruits Class = #9 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 2nd (419 pts)
... 2019 NCAA Senior points loss for 2020 NCAAs = 88
... 2019 NCAA Junior points loss for 2021 NCAAs = 79

Michigan
2016 Recruits Class = n/a -> 2017 NCAA finish = 11th
2017 Recruits Class = #2 -> 2018 NCAA finish = 4th
2018 Recruits Class = #HM -> 2019 NCAA finish = 3rd (314 pts)
... 2019 NCAA Senior points loss for 2020 NCAAs = 84
... 2019 NCAA Junior points loss for 2021 NCAAs = 12

Louisville
2016 Recruits Class = #7 -> 2017 NCAA finish = 6th
2017 Recruits Class = #HM -> 2018 NCAA finish = 5th
2018 Recruits Class = n/a -> 2019 NCAA finish = 4th (235 pts)
... 2019 NCAA Senior points loss for 2020 NCAAs = 60
... 2019 NCAA Junior points loss for 2021 NCAAs = 32

Texas
2016 Recruits Class = #5 -> 2017 NCAA finish = 5th
2017 Recruits Class = #8 -> 2018 NCAA finish = 6th
2018 Recruits Class = #4 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 5th (190.5 pts)
... 2019 NCAA Senior points loss for 2020 NCAAs = 41.5
... 2019 NCAA Junior points loss for 2021 NCAAs = 33

Virginia
2018 Recruits Class = #11 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 6th (188 pts)
... 2019 NCAA Senior points loss for 2020 NCAAs = 0
... 2019 NCAA Junior points loss for 2021 NCAAs = 31

NC State
2016 Recruits Class = n/a -> 2017 NCAA finish = 7th
2017 Recruits Class = #10 -> 2018 NCAA finish = 18th
2018 Recruits Class = #8 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 7th (187.5 pts)
... 2019 NCAA Senior points loss for 2020 NCAAs = 1
... 2019 NCAA Junior points loss for 2021 NCAAs = 30

Tennessee
2016 Recruits Class = #6 -> 2017 NCAA finish = 22nd
2017 Recruits Class = #6 -> 2018 NCAA finish = 7th
2018 Recruits Class = n/a -> 2019 NCAA finish = 8th (185 pts)
... 2019 NCAA Senior points loss for 2020 NCAAs = 0
... 2019 NCAA Junior points loss for 2021 NCAAs = 80

Indiana
2016 Recruits Class = n/a -> 2017 NCAA finish = 8th
2017 Recruits Class = n/a -> 2018 NCAA finish = 8th
2018 Recruits Class = #6 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 9th (179 pts)
... 2019 NCAA Senior points loss for 2020 NCAAs = 93
... 2019 NCAA Junior points loss for 2021 NCAAs = 5

USC
2016 Recruits Class = #3 -> 2017 NCAA finish = 9th
2017 Recruits Class = #4 -> 2018 NCAA finish = 12th
2018 Recruits Class = #8 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 10th (159 pts)
... 2019 NCAA Senior points loss for 2020 NCAAs = 17
... 2019 NCAA Junior points loss for 2021 NCAAs = 56

Texas A&M
2016 Recruits Class = n/a -> 2017 NCAA finish = 3rd
2017 Recruits Class = #3 -> 2018 NCAA finish = 3rd
2018 Recruits Class = #7 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 13th (142.5 pts)
... 2019 NCAA Senior points loss for 2020 NCAAs = 69.5
... 2019 NCAA Junior points loss for 2021 NCAAs = 18

Georgia
2016 Recruits Class = #8 -> 2017 NCAA finish = 4th
2017 Recruits Class = #9 -> 2018 NCAA finish = 11th
2018 Recruits Class = #5 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 18th (66 pts)
... 2019 NCAA Senior points loss for 2020 NCAAs = 8
... 2019 NCAA Junior points loss for 2021 NCAAs = 0

Florida
2016 Recruits Class = #12 -> 2017 NCAA finish = n/a (0 pts)
2017 Recruits Class = #7 -> 2018 NCAA finish = 35th
2018 Recruits Class = #3 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 24th (44 pts)
... 2019 NCAA Senior points loss for 2020 NCAAs = 35
... 2019 NCAA Junior points loss for 2021 NCAAs = 0

--------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Some early thoughts on the stats as presented in the previous post...

Reckon a case can definitely be made for Virginia's march towards the big prize in the near future - ZERO graduating points loss for next season + one of the top incoming freshman class of 2019 {pending SS' forthcoming rankings} + likely the top recruiting class of 2020. If in-house development can keep up with recruiting momentum over in Charlottesville, could very well see the Hoos' achieving National Top 3 as early as 2020 NCAAs!

OTOH, the all-too-familiar scenario of LSJU repeating as NCAA Champions doesn't look threatened at all, in spite of our valiant Bears' heroic accomplishments last March that came so agonisingly within striking distance of achieving the impossible.

If anything, the Furdette Juggernaut should roll over any challengers with a bigger margin of victory in 2020, and looking beyond then - thanks to 3 consecutive #1 recruiting classes leading to their lowerclassmen doing much of the heavy-lifting @ 2019 NCAAs. As per SwimSwam's effusive praises of Meehan & Slusser's recruiting prowess:
SwimSwam said:

LSJU -

2016 class: "Our unquestioned number one. Five top 20 recruits, including Katie Ledecky, who needs no introduction."

2017 class: "Rarely do we see something like four top 10 and five top 20 recruits committing to the same school quite like we've seen it happen with the Stanford women. Welcome to Greg Meehan's dynasty."

2018 class: "It's difficult to see a future where Stanford is NOT winning national titles through this class's senior collegiate seasons."

Back in March, the freshie saplings, despite underperforming somewhat relative to their previously expected dominance, stood out as the only class in the whole field to net triple-digit individual points - 127 - compared to the 2nd highest frosh class' 50 pts from our very own froskis, of which Izzy had contributed 37...closely followed by NC State freshmen's 47.5 & Michigan aka MacNeil's 45.

Stanford still won in spite of junior Drabot scoring almost 30 pts less than in her sophomore year, Byrnes 14 pts fewer, Szekely not scoring, with even superstar Eastin contributing a relative deficit of 6 pts in her final year. The Cardinal sophomores also ranked tops with their 67 pts - only class close was the Cavaliers sophs' 49 pts. In comparison, Robin had repped our sophomore Bears well, being responsible for all of their 14 pts total.

The next several years could prove to be quite a challenge for Cal in the national title race, after losing the Dream Team (Billy & Bug) followed subsequently by Abbey (not to mention Madds & Keeks' invaluable contributions) - our justifiably famed relays will be quite adversely impacted, for one.

Staying in the Top 3 may not be immediately threatened, but unless Bears kill it in the recruiting area and/or several team members step up to fill the void, could turn out to be a bit of a reloading period (hopefully not to the extent of a UGA or UF!). For example, when Cal's current upperclassmen graduate, we will forfeit significantly more points (167 individual pts) than any other team.

As for some of these other teams, NC State (Holloway doing a great job of keeping up with DeSorbo in terms of recruiting & results), Tennessee (just 1 graduating senior point - but 2021 NCAAs could hit them hard with an 80 pts loss from their current juniors, led by Erika's 46) & Georgia (will lose only 8 pts to graduation in the next 2 seasons, as the Dawgs' recruiting have more than nicely rebounded a few years after the alleged Bauerle-Kalisz scandal) are all looking good to improve upon their standings next season, following in Virginia's wake.

#10 'SC will also be presented an opportunity to redeem themselves, losing only 17 pts to graduation. WHilst quality recruits classes continue to pour into the Trojanettes fold, Salo has to be ever aware that his juniors class jewel claimed 56 pts, with his lowerclassmen not scoring a single point (their crosstown rival, #17 UCLA, has to be even more concerned, since all of the Bruins' 75 point tally were accomplished by their 2 senior divers).

On the flip side, Louisville (mayhaps a temporary hiccup, as they have a really good 2020 class assembled), Michigan (altho UM does have 11 incoming signees for 2019, with a v. solid 2020 class so far) & Indiana (Lilly & diver Jessica Parratt accounted for 65 of IU's 93 senior pts, their medley relays will feel King's loss the most) will face uphill battles to maintain or improve upon their lofty #3, #5 & #9 finishes.

TAMU won't find it easy either after a disappointing 13th place finish in view of all their past successes - will have to find some way of replacing their 69.5 senior points deficit.

Then there is Texas who will need to start fulfilling the promise of their talented recruits (much-vaunted 2018 recruits managed a combined 3 pts @ 2019 NCs), if the upperclassmen/diver-heavy scoring Horns aim to avoid sliding down from their #5 placement.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

A warm welcome & congrats goes out to our Bears' 4th commit for the class of 2020!
Mara hails from the Sierra Marlins up in Folsom - same club as Chloe Clark + Bryce & Colby Mefford...

...more info forthcoming once SS or SW has published their writeups
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

@ CIF-CCS Finals, 2020 commit Nicole Oliva (Saint Francis Mountain View) took the 200 Free crown courtesy of her 1:47.03 . PR remains a 1:46.32 @ 2018 Winter Jrs West.

Nicole capped that off with her 2nd win of the day in the 500 Free, thanks to her 4:47.47. Lifetime best is a 4:42.51, also from 2018 Winter Jrs West.
Schroeder71 said:

https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfront.net/8/k/ixoqjl0s8fjbqf/2019_cif_state_swim_dive_championships_results_finals_sat_1col.pdf

Nicole Oliva claimed 3rd in the 500 yard free in 4:46. The junior Cal commit's Saint Francis Lancers finished 3rd place in the meet overall. CCS had St Francis & Gunn HS grab #3 & #5 for the girls at state.

Thank you for posting the CIF State results for 2020 Baby Bear Nicole, who had also finished 7th in the 200 Free A final with a 1:48.20.

Other 2020+ swimmers & swims of note at this championship meet:

- #HM Ella Ristic {Santa Margarita->IU} won the *200 Free* in a meet record & PB of 1:45.82, beating 2022 phenom Claire Tuggle's 1:46.04 (note that Claire does have a 1:44.96 best in this event), had also claimed the *100 Free* crown with a 49.24 PR.

- Anicka Delgado {Santa Margarita->'SC...had visited Cal} took the *50 Free* title with her 22.54 PB (just missed Furdette Amalie's 22.45 state record), and was the runner-up in the *100 Fly* with a 53.49.

- Even more impressive imo was 2021 recruit Mia Kragh {Torrey Pines}'s winning PR of 52.26 (prev PB was 53.32 from sectionals just recently) in the *100 Fly* - broke former Cal recruit Alexis Margett {UM}'s state mark of 52.74 from 2017 by almost half a sec, and was more than a sec ahead of 2nd placed Anicka Delgado...tho still has a little way to go in chasing after Bug's lofty 51.53 National HS record

Mia had also finished 5th in the *50 Free* A final with a 23.26 (PB = 23.11). Had gone even faster at this distance with the flying start factored in, contributing to Torrey Pines' 2nd place finish in the *200 FR* with a 22.52 split.

Not to mention helping her school to the *200 MR* title with a 23.49 split on the fly leg! (only Izabella Adame, who's presently ranked by CS as CA's #2 recruit for 2021, had a swifter 23.38 fly split)

Talented fly & free sprinter with considerable upside & recent development = relay value = definitely someone to keep an eye on for the future (prob already on tedbear's radar? )...though keep in mind that Mia goes to the same school as 2019 LSJU legacy commit Kira Crage :p

Here's what SS had to say about their #15 ranked recruit (#48 Nat, #3 CA - but only cos CS hasn't updated their database with results from CIF State...oh and incidentally also has LeBron James as the #1 CA recruit lmao ):

Swimswam said:

https://swimswam.com/way-too-early-ncaa-recruit-ranks-girls-high-school-class-of-2021/

Best Times: 100 fly - 53.32, 200 free - 1:48.89, 100 free - 50.08, 50 free - 23.11

Mia Kragh makes this list after a massive sophomore year of time drops. Most impressive is her cut from 57.86 to 53.32 in the 100 fly. Kragh only broke a minute for the first time in early 2017, and has gone from there to one of the best flyers in this class in just over two years. Kragh doesn't have a lot of supporting events - yet. But we expect that to change. She's dropped from 1:54 to 1:48 in the 200 free over the past year, and from 51.9/23.9 to 50.0/23.1 in the sprint frees. Kragh just made most of her time drops in March, and has California's high school postseason yet to come later this month.

UrsusArctosCalifornicus
SwimSwam said:

TOP 20 NCAA SWIMMING RECRUITS IN THE GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2020

4. Isabelle Stadden (Previous Rank: #3) - Aquajets Swim Team - Blaine High School - Blaine, MN **Verbally committed to Cal**

2020 Cal commit Isabelle Stadden exhibiting her versatile range in the big pool at the 2019 Bloomington Pro Swim Series over the weekend:

1) Runner-up in the *200m Back* A final with a 2:09.10 (PB = 2:08.24 from 2018 Nats), following #1 recruit Regan Smith (furdette lean?)'s impressive 2:06.47

2) Runner-up in the *100m Back* A final with a 1:00.26 (PB = 1:00.06 from 2018 Irish Open), once again behind Regan who had thrown down a 58.82 Junior World Record

3) Claimed 4th fastest in the *50m Back* A final with a 28.57 (PB = 28.13 from 2018 Nats)

Keeping in mind that everyone's in a different stage of training with the majority racing unrested at the meet, did think that it was notable nonetheless that our future Bear had basically swept LSJU's Taylor Ruck/Lucie Nordmann/Allie Szekely + 2019 NCAA Champion & American Record holder (SCY) Beata Nelson across the board in all the back events...

Isabelle's outstanding back half & finishing speed was on full display here!

With that said, IS' starts, turns & walls will need more work before she becomes truly competitive with the very best in the world - upside here is that these are the very areas where Stadden will have a golden opportunity to quickly develop when she joins Teri and the team in the autumn of 2020 (think Natalie, Bootsie, Lizzie, Thleen - i.e. their stellar underwaters which were fine-honed into instruments of efficiency & beauty during their Cal swim careers). Go Bears!
tedbear
Thanks for sharing the race videos UAC. As the number one, self appointed Isa super fan, I will add my two cents. From watching the videos, you can just see that Isa just oozes with potential. Her top end speed is second to none, and she can close fast, which is a testament to her endurance. On the other hand, there is so much she can improve on with her starts, under waters, and turns. In almost every race she was close to last place when everyone came up to the surface, and she also lost a little ground on her turns. This is where training with Teri will make a huge difference. I expect huge time drops for Isa after a few years with Teri's tutelage. This is even more critical for college swimming (short course), since there are more turns. I think Isa will always be a better long course swimmer, and better at longer distances, but she will improve greatly at the sprint distances too. She will be a staple on our medley relays for four years. So happy that she is a Bear!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

"Way too early" lol - here's Swimswam's Top 20 for the class of 2021.

Several familiar names who have earned past mentions on the board - Gretchen Walsh, Torri Huske, Grace Sheble, Ashley Strouse, Annabel Crush, Mariah Denigan, etc. etc.

-------

WAY TOO EARLY NCAA RECRUIT RANKS: GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2021

-------

Keeping in mind that it's indeed rather early to be considering which bright prospects from the 2021 class may be a good fit with our Bears in both the pool & classroom...however would like to mention a relatively low profile recruit who's a clubmate of 2020 commit Isabelle Stadden, and who the major coaches & their scouting machinery are undoubtedly already well aware of:
Abby Kapeller (#45 Nat, #2 MN)

At last weekend's Bloomington Pro Swim Series, Abigail swam 5 events with the following results:
1) *50m Back* - won the B final with a 28.70 PB (old best = 29.34 from Jan 2019)
2) *100m Back* - 5th in the B final, with a 1:03.31 (PB = 1:01.68 from 2018 Summer Juniors)
3) *50m Free* - 8th in the C final, with a 26.96...had gone 26.87 in morning heats (PB = 26.52 from July 2017)
4) *50m Fly* - 4th in the C final, with a 27.90 PB (old best = 28.71 from 2018 Irish Open)
5) *100m Free* - 1:00.05 prelims (PB = 59.94 @ 2018)

Now whilst these long course results aren't presently at the same level as say, superstar-to-be Regan or Baby Bear Isabelle from the 2020 class, and Abby didn't make SwimSwam's Top 20 or Honourable Mentions in the 2021 class after all - do reckon however there's quite a bit of swim potential lying there, esp as freestylers & sprinters are so prized in the NCAA scoring system due to their additional relay value.

Here are some of AK's personal bests in short course, with 2 more years to improve upon these times before starting college:
50 / 100 Free - 22.66 (Mar 2019) / 49.94 (Mar 2019)
50 / 100 Back - 24.81 (Mar 2019) / 54.13 (Mar 2018)
50 / 100 Fly - 24.10 (Mar 2019) / 55.68 (Dec 2018)

Kapeller's 50 Free (22.66) is currently swifter than SwimSwam's #19 Kate Morris (22.81), #16 Mia Kragh (23.11) & #17 Micayla Cronk (23.16).

Of note -> AK's 21.84 anchoring her Aquajets' 200 FR squad @ 2019 NCSA Spring Jrs...her teammate Stadden had led off with a 22.71 PB, as well as wining the 100 Back individual in a 51.23 PB over fellow 2020 stud Phoebe Bacon's 51.58!
Random observer
Anybody see that my krustritz from Denison was swimming as CAL affiliated at the speedo grand challenge meet? I think she has one more year of eligibility... are we going to see her as a bear in the fall?
-cheers
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Random observer said:

Anybody see that my krustritz from Denison was swimming as CAL affiliated at the speedo grand challenge meet? I think she has one more year of eligibility... are we going to see her as a bear in the fall?
-cheers

Thank you for the observation - same thought had crossed me mind, but didn't comment on it at the time pending future official confirmation (or possible typo lol)...

KT Kustritz
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Live results for the 2019 Mel Zajac Jr meet (not exactly live unfortunately, since finals results not updated as of now): http://results.teamunify.com/cavpsc/2019/zajac/

LUCA URLANDO DOUBLES UP IN WINS ON DAY 1 OF 2019 MEL ZAJAC INTERNATIONAL MEET

WOMEN'S 400M IM FINALS

17-year-old New York native Isabel Gormley held the lead from the get-go, putting up a solid performance to finish first in a time of 4:47.58. Charlotte Hook, who is only 15, cracked 4:50 for the first time in her career to take second clocking a 4:49.24. Abby Arens, who is also 17, finished off the podium sweep with a third-place winning time of 4:50.22

Impressive drop in the *200m Free* tonight for 2020 Baby Bear Gracie Felner - a 2:05.01 PB! (prev best = 2:07.77 from an *800 FR* relay leadoff in 2018)

2019 frosh-to-be & clubmate Sarah DiMeco had finished in 2:05.42 in this event (best = 2:04.11 from 2018).

Sarah then followed up immediately with a 4:58.50 to place 9th in the *400m IM*, setting a new PB (old best = 4:58.64 from 2018).
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

---------

Isabelle Stadden's Dedication has Made her a Top Competitor in the Backstroke

{a few excerpts below...}

Not only is she a member of the U.S. National Team as a 16-year-old high school junior, but she's also positioned to be one of the top competitors in the 100 and 200 backstroke events next summer at Olympic Trials.

Suffice it to say, it's all a little surreal and incredibly exciting for Stadden. She's definitely enjoying the ride.
"It's not the most fun making that drive, especially in bad weather, but I know it's the best thing for me," said Stadden, a soon-to-be senior who chose the University of California-Berkeley as her future swim home in the fall of 2020.

Part of the reason Stadden's success in the water is still somewhat surreal is that she's only been swimming year-round for just over five years.

On top of that, it's only been within the past year or so that she's experienced sustained success at the senior level finishing third in the 200 backstroke last summer in her first Phillips 66 USA Swimming National Championships.

Because she competed in several different sports for years before giving them up to focus on swimming in 2014, she said she never gave swimming at the Olympics a realistic thought.

"I honestly never knew swimming was as big of a sport as it is that there are all of these meets, Junior and National teams, etc. when I was younger," said Stadden, who is planning to study engineering at Cal. "For me, it was always just a fun way to spend time with my friends.

---------
tedbear
Wow, she got into Cal Engineering! This is one very smart woman. Go Isa!
bearz012

Since I feel as though college visits have pretty much wrapped up and we'll only be seeing mostly committed athletes in coming visits, here's a compilation of college classes, thus far. I'll be updating this one more frequently, rather than the last one.

COLLEGE CLASSES THUS FAR:
#1 Stanford: #1 Regan Smith, #6 Lillie Nordmann, #19 Janelle Rudolph, HM Isabel Gormley, HM Samantha Pearson (5)
#2 Cal: #4 Isabelle Stadden, Nicole Oliva, Tea Laughlin, Mara Allen, Emily Gantriis (5)
#3 Michigan: #13 Kathryn Ackerman, Claire Donan, Sophie Housey, Casey Chung, Noelle Kaufmann, Claire Tuttle, Sophia Tuinman, Kalli Fama, Claire Newman (9)
#4 Louisville: #16 Gabi Albiero, #17 Paige Hetrick, #18 Tristen Ulett, Liberty Williams, Adeline Farrington, Olivia Livingston, Paige McCormick (7)
#5 Texas: #3 Olivia Bray, #7 Emma Sticklen, HM Grace Cooper, Ellie McLeod, Sydney Silver, Ava Longi (6)
#6 Virginia: #2 Alex Walsh, #9 Anna Keating, #11 Emma Weyant, #12 Abby Harter, HM Quinn Schaedler, Sophia Wilson (6)
#7 NC State: #8 Abby Arens, Megan Pulley, Ashley Cusano, Abby Pilkenton, Katey Lewicki, Morgan Jones (6)
#8 Tennessee: Elle Caldow, Jasmine Rumley, Berit Quass, Jordan Aurnou-Rhees, Nicola Lane, Margaret Marando, Aly Breslin, Annie Rimmer, Katelyn Yule (9)
#9 Indiana: HM Ella Ristic, Elizabeth Broshears, Anna Freed, Avery Williams, Mia Ristic, Mary-Kate Reicherter, Catherine Graham (7)
#10 USC: #10 Kaitlyn Dobler, Jade Hannah, Anicka Delgado, Caraline Baker, Andrea Santander, Johanna Jorgenson, Adair Sand (7)
#11 Minnesota: Megan Van Berkom, Pyper Doo, Katia Soudakova, Holley Dennis, Danielle Cramer, Molly Urkiel, Ava Hoffman, Elle Niebuhr, Maeve O'Driscoll (9)
#12 Auburn: Abby Gibbons, Colby Hurt, Hannah Ownbey, Meghan Lee, Brynn Curtis, Elysse Pardus, Kensley Merritt, Payton Marvin, Emma Steckiel, Maggie Gholston (10)
#13 Texas A&M: Chloe Stepanek, Desirae Mangaoang, Olivia Theall, Evelyn Bruner, Abigail Ahrens, Jade Hallum, Charlotte Longbottom, Alaya Smith, JoJo Daspit (8)
#14 Arizona: Maddy Burt, Julia Heimstead, Tia Lindsay, Grace Anderson, Skylar Dikeman (5)
#15 Kentucky: Anna Havens Rice, Kaylee Williams, Megan Drumm, Kristyn Sabol, Torie Buerger, Sofie Davis, Leah Luckett, Abbie Shaw (8)
#16 Wisconsin: #5 Phoebe Bacon, Kaylyn Schoof, Cal Dunn, Emma Lasecki, Mallory Jackson, Emily Ecker, Elle Braun, Olivia Masterson, Alex Anagnostopoulos (9)
#18 Georgia: #15 Maxine Parker, Sloane Reinstein (2)
#23 Duke: Emily Lenihan, Catherine Purnell, Catherine Belyakov, Emily Gjertsen, Sarah Foley, Aleyna Ozkan (6)
#24 Florida: Louise Lefebvre, Elise Bauer, Amanda Ray, Madison Kolessar, Cecilila Porter, Kenedy Beil, Chloe Grimme, Leah DeGeorge, Lain Shahboz, Carly Schwab (10)
#25 Ohio State: Janessa Matthews, Katherine Zenick, Libby Gilbert, Catherine Russo, Kyra Sommerstad, Maya Geringer, Tristan Harrison (7)
#27 Northwestern: Selen Ozbilen, Annika Wagner, Lola Mull, Erika Chen, Isabella Wallace (5)
#40 Virginia Tech #14 Chase Travis, #19 Emma Atkinson (2)
#41 Notre Dame: Megan Deuel, Sarah Bender, Maria Baric, Kallie Chelsvig, Sydney Whitting, Peyton D'Emanuele, Allison Kopac, Emma Gleason, Rhianna Hensler (9)
#42 UNC: Grace Kayal, Lexie Rudolph, Victoria Ireland, Katie Wright, Katharine Ward (5)

School rankings are based on finishes at 2018 NCAAs, and recruit rankings are based on SS's latest class of 2020 rankings.

Last Updated: 11/13/19
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
---------

ISABELLE STADDEN SCRATCHES 400 IM, FOCUSES ON 50 BACK AT CLOVIS

The second day of the Clovis Pro Swim Series is soon to kick off. Among the races to watch, the women's 50 back looks to be interesting with 16-year-old Isabelle Stadden challenging former collegiate swimmers Ali DeLoof and Amy Bilquist.

Stadden has decided to forego the 400 IM and may likely scratch the 100 breast final to save up for this 50 back. With Regan Smith not attending Clovis, Stadden has a shot at taking the top spot in the backstroke events. The Aquajets teen is seeded second in the 50 behind DeLoof with Bilquist right behind her.

Stacking up season bests, DeLoof has the fastest from the Richmond stop with a 28.08. Stadden slides into second with a 28.50 from Knoxville, yet her most recent swim at Bloomington was a 28.57. In Bilquist's first PSS appearance of the year, she comes in with a 28.66 post-NCAAs.

If not the 50 back, Stadden has a great shot at winning the 200 back, where she is the top seed by over 4 seconds. Her in-season best is a 2:09.10, just a second off her 2:08.24 seed.

---------
HBear
Nice win for baby Bear Isabelle tonight! 59.71 for a sub-minute PB to take the 100 back at the Clovis PSS meet.
swimmer19
HBear said:

Nice win for baby Bear Isabelle tonight! 59.71 for a sub-minute PB to take the 100 back at the Clovis PSS meet.
First time under 1:00!

2019 CLOVIS PRO SWIM SERIES: DAY 3 FINALS LIVE RECAP

WOMEN'S 100 BACK FINAL
16-year-old Isabelle Stadden got herself under one minute for the first time tonight in the women's 100 back, winning the event in a time of 59.71. Stadden had previously been 1:00.07, done at the U.S. Summer Nationals last summer, and is now the fourth-fastest swimmer in history in the 15-16 age group.

Stadden won this race on the back end, as she was the only swimmer to come home sub-31 in a blazing 30.42.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HBear said:

Well done Isa!!! First time under a minute, Stadden's previous lifetime best was a 1:00.06 from 2018 Irish Open.

All the more impressive considering this wasn't achieved in a National or International Championship, i.e. Isabelle wasn't fully rested here - signs of even more brill things to come?

Also the 4th fastest ever swim in the 15 to 16 age group - only ones who have been faster = Regan Smith - 58.83 (2018 Nationals), Phoebe Bacon - 59.12 (2018 Nationals) & Missy Franklin - 59.18 (2011 Nationals)!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swimmer19 said:

Stadden won this race on the back end, as she was the only swimmer to come home sub-31 in a blazing 30.42.

Here's the race video + post-race interview for the *100m Back* A final - Isabelle's in Lane 5 (pink Aquajets cap & suit). Hugging the lane lines much towards the end of her back half? lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.