2020 Women's Swimming Recruiting

139,198 Views | 282 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any idea when (or if) any formalized group visit for the 2020 recruits might be to Cal, given that we're at championship season already? I'm actually a tad surprised that more of the girls'/women's recruits have yet to commit, compared to their male counterparts (led by Destin and Dare!), to Cal and otherwise. Feel like last year in particular, Chloe and Izzy led a string of commitments to the Bears relatively early on in the late fall/early winter. Either way, fingers crossed to see what happens this recruiting season!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Some visits have already taken place as noted earlier on this thread, but TBH I'm not in the loop at all as to when a formalised group trip to Cal will next take place... Teri has on more than one occasion (pleasantly) surprised with last-minute additions, so stay tuned!
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

I'm I misreading the Instagram that Reagan has not committed to become a farm gal?

Presently not committed in either sense of the word haha...see here...

bearz012 said:

Which 2020 Recruits are Visiting Which Schools? (rankings based on NCAA finish)

#1 Stanford: #1 Regan Smith, #2 Alex Walsh, #7 Emma Sticklen, #18 Lillie Nordmann, Emma Weyant (#13), Lola Mull (#22), Isabel Gormley (#27), Samantha Pearson (#35), Janelle Rudolph (#47)

#5 Louisville: #1 Regan Smith, #12 Tristen Ulett *commit*, #13 Gabi Albiero *commit*, #14 Paige Hetrick *commit*, HM Ella Ristic, Adeline Farrington (#46) *commit*, Liberty Williams (#56) *commit*, Paige McCormick (#79) *commit*

Great..I can continue to fantasize !
bearchamp
I don't get it. If they are not visiting Cal, who cares?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Sorry if this is a bit of a rushed reply as I'm on the go

Cal W Swim traditionally hosts the main group of official visitors in the Sept timeframe, typically around a home FB weekend match. Teri also invites smaller groups to take their trips, official & unofficial, at other times - these are typically low key, unpublicised affairs that we generally aren't aware of.

So TBH, we don't really know if Regan has already taken a visit to Berkeley, or perhaps has scheduled one down the road, possibly as late as Sept 2019.

An impact recruit of Regan's calibre (potential Missy-level!) can massively affect Cal's chances at the national title, or falling a few places from the top, depending where she ends up committing to.

Wouldn't completely count out Regan Smith's interest in Bears either at this stage, as she has only taken 2 known trips thus far.

Regan's also good friends with 2019 Baby Bear Izzy, and Thleen has been sort of a mentor to Smith at international meets where they have both repped Team USA on backstroke. Plus, come on, this is Backstroke U after all, right - Billy, Thleen, Missy, Lizzie, Bootsie, Cindy, Natalie, Murph, Pebs and much more in recent history...

Would basically just like all potential student-athlete prospects, their families & friends, to always feel they'd be very welcome to grow & blossom here @ Cal, esp when there's a mutual fit & interest...Go Bears!
swimmer19

From UVa's extremely ecstatic outburst of emotions on social media, it wouldn't surprise me if their latest 2020 recruit = Alex Walsh (if on the women's side)

If that's indeed so, WOW - DeSorbo & co's massive gain, our (and every other collegiate swim programme in the running)'s loss... *sniff*

Reckon we may find out soon...

Alex: I could not be happier to announce my verbal commitment to swim at the University of Virginia!!! So thankful for my family, friends, teammates, and coaches for their support throughout this process and my entire swimming career... GO HOOS #wahoowa

UVA SCORES GAME-CHANGING VERBAL COMMITMENT FROM #2 ALEX WALSH

Swimmingnerd
Holy Cow! What a commit... Wasn't expecting that.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Claire Curzan at it again this weekend, blimey - her 21.89 would have seeded her @ #15 (i.e.potential scorer) in the 50 Free amongst all the invitees to 2019 NCAAs!

-------

CLAIRE CURZAN BECOMES 1ST SUB-22 14&U 50 FREESTYLER IN HISTORY 21.89

"A week after missing Gretchen Walsh's 13-14 50 freestyle National Age Group record by just .01, the TAC Titans' Claire Curzan obliterated it Saturday evening in Atlanta at the 2019 ESSZ Age Group Championships.

Curzan, 14, went 21.89 to become the first 14-and-under girl in history to break 22 seconds. The next-fastest swimmer, Morgan Carteaux, finished in 23.37.

Curzan is now the second-fastest 16-and-under swimmer in history, behind only Gretchen Walsh's 21.82

TOP 5 PERFORMERS IN HISTORY: 16&U GIRLS 50 FREESTYLE

Curzan has been on fire over the past month. In February, she broke both the short course 100 and 200 fly 13-14 NAG records on consecutive weekends. Last weekend at Cary Sectionals, Curzan broke Missy Franklin's 13-14 100 freestyle NAG record, going 47.67."

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Just a quick look at the handful of Top 20 recruits who are still available at this point in time - basically:

#1 Regan Smith
#3 Isabelle Stadden
#6 Phoebe Bacon
#7 Emma Sticklen
#8 Quinn Schaedler
#18 Lillie Nordmann

bearz012 said:

All visits by top 2020 recruits (official & unofficial, ? = unsure of visit):

#1 Regan Smith {MN}: LSJU, Louisville
#2 Alex Walsh {TN} *committed to Virginia*: LSJU, UVA, UGA, Texas, Cal
#3 Isabelle Stadden {MN}: Michigan, Texas, Cal
#4 Olivia Bray {VA} *committed to Texas*: Texas, Indiana, UVA
#5 Kaitlyn Dobler {OR} *committed to USC*: USC
#6 Phoebe Bacon {MD}: Michigan, UGA, Texas, UVA
#7 Emma Sticklen {TX}: Texas A&M, Texas, LSJU
#8 Quinn Schaedler {TX}: Michigan, USC, Texas
#9 Maxine Parker {IL} *committed to UGA*: Texas ?, UVA, UGA
#10 Chase Travis {DE} *committed to Virginia Tech*: Virginia Tech
#11 Kathryn Ackerman {MI} *committed to Michigan*: OSU?, Michigan
#12 Tristen Ulett {GA} *committed to Louisville*: USC, Louisville, UVA, LSJU, Cal
#13 Gabi Albiero {KY} *committed to Louisville*: Louisville
#14 Paige Hetrick {PA} *committed to Louisville*: Kentucky, Penn State, Louisville, Texas, Auburn
#15 Abby Arens {NC} *committed to NC State*: UGA, NC State
#16 Grace Cooper {IL} *committed to Texas*: UGA?, Texas
#17 Anna Keating {VA} *committed to Virginia*: USC, Texas, UVA, Florida
#18 Lillie Nordmann {TX}: Texas A&M, UGA, LSJU, UVA, Texas
#19 Anicka Delgado {CA} *committed to USC*: USC, Notre Dame, Duke, Cal, Northwestern
#20 Abby Harter {VA} *committed to Virginia*: USC, UVA
HM Ella Ristic {CA} *committed to Indiana*: USC, Louisville, Indiana, UVA
HM Jasmine Rumley {IA}: none
Emma Weyant {FL}: UGA, UVA, LSJU
Jade Hannah {CAN} *committed to USC*: USC, Arizona?
Lola Mull {MI} *committed to Northwestern*: OSU, LSJU, Wisconsin, Northwestern
Kaylyn Schoof {WI} *committed to Wisconsin*: Wisconsin, Kentucky
Samantha Pearson {CA}: UVA, LSJU
Tea Laughlin {CA}: none

Last Updated: 3/11/19

1) Of the half a dozen uncommitted top prospects on that list, I'd tentatively venture that Bears may be up there on Isabelle Stadden's list, and arguably Teri's primary target for 2020...principally for her great fit with the team, with the programme & with our school academics/culture, plus a strong mutual interest - well I guess that IS' considerable swim skills may also be a contributing factor lol. Cal does face stiff competition though from schools like UM & UT (the latter already on a bit of a roll with their 2020 verbals), who undoubtedly are all attempting to make Isabelle an offer that she'd find hard to resist...

2) I personally would be so ecstatic if game-changer Regan Smith also chooses for the Bears, but alas am not aware of a visit from her up to this point. Due to her impending superstar status (esp if RS blows up @ Tokyo!), there might be a few concerns whether Regan would end up sticking with her full 4 years of collegiate eligibility as the financial lure of the professional route will surely beckon to her sooner than later! In spite of some signs indicating that Regan is a massive Furdette lean, my selfish wish would be for her to explore options @ Louisville if her coming here isn't meant to be

3) Phoebe Bacon would be a great get too, as one of the top aces in this class of extraordinary backstroke & fly talent - don't forget that we'd be bidding teary farewells to Keeks, Madds & others in 2020. However, Bacon hasn't been spotted on campus to date, and the latest rumour mill has her pegged as Dawg- friendly...the Hoos or Wolverines may be a good academic fit, but I have a feeling that DeSorbo may be running low on his schollys after having won over #2 Alex Walsh!

4) Emma Sticklen, Lillie Nordmann & Quinn Schaedler haven't visited Berkeley either, AFAIK (which doesn't mean too much as I'm pretty much in the dark about these trips lol). All 3 have taken trips to Austin, with 2 of them to the Farm (Lillie is furdette Lucie's sister) and to TAMU.

Anyway, below are the excellently summarised strengths & stats for the aforementioned uncommitted recruits, courtesy of bearz012 at the start of this topic - I've taken the liberty to update some of the personal best times that went down last winter or this spring...

bearz012 said:

Here's a rough overview of some recruits that we may be targeting for this recruiting season.

In 2020, we're losing Keaton Blovad, Alexa Buckley, Chenoa Devine, Aislinn Light, Maddie Murphy, Courtney Mykkanen, and Abbey Weitzeil.

NEEDS:
- Backstroke (replace the loss of Keaton, Aislinn, Coco, and assuming we don't get Berkoff)
- Sprint Free (Abbey as well as Maddie)
- Sprint Fly (or just fly in general)

TARGETS:
Alright, so #2 Alex and #1 Regan have been discussed since the 2016 board, but it's finally their turn to be recruited!

Meanwhile, Regan is not quite as versatile, but still has the best 100/200/500 free times in the class (48.8/1:44.4/4:41.6 -> 48.07/1:43.27/4:37.10) as well as the best backstroke times I've ever seen coming out of high school (50.8/1:48.3 -> 49.66/1:47.16), which would have placed 6th and 2nd won at (2018) NCAA's. Poses as a 100 fly (50.45) and 100/200 back scorer, though she could also swim the 500 free.

Not to be forgotten, of course (if we don't get Regan), is another Minnesotean, #3 Isabelle Stadden, who has been dropping time like crazy, and boasts times of 51.3 and 1:52.0 -> 1:50.37 in the backstrokes. She doesn't quite have a third event, but based on her 100 IM time, she should be able to improve in the 200 IM.

#6 Phoebe Bacon: backstroke (51.6 -> 51.18/1:52.8), fly (52.9), also quite good at breaststroke (1:01) She's also from the same team as Cass, though not at the same site (NCAP has multiple sites across Maryland and Virginia - Cass is from VA, while Phoebe trains in MD)

For fly, out of Texas, #7 Emma Sticklen has a strong 200 fly time (1:54.88 -> 1:54.55) as well as a great 100 fly time (51.88), and has already shown that she's a huge Dana Vollmer fan. We know where another Dana Vollmer fan decided to verbal (looking at you, Cass )

For sprint free, #8 Quinn Schaedler and #9 Maxine Parker stand out with 50 free times of 22.8 and 22.4, respectively, though Schaedler also boasts a near class best 100 free time of 48.84.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Looks like Salo's going after the 2020 Freshman Class pretty early & hard!

Abby Harter (#9 Nat, #3 VA), Anna Keating (#17 Nat, #4 VA), Ella Ristic (#34 Nat, #2 CA), Kaitlyn Dobler (#12 Nat, #1 OR) , Jade Hannah (#13 Nat, #1 BC)

Also:

Leftmost 2020 recruit (viewer perspective) = Adair Sand (#179 Nat, #10 FL)
2nd rightmost recruit = Tristen Ulett (#46 Nat, #3 GA)
Rightmost recruit (thanx, S19!) = Andrea Santander (#54 Nat, #3 FL)

Andrea Santander (CS Ranking as of verbal: #73 Nat, #4 FL) -> Trojanettes

Had previously visited UM & UVa (in addition to 'SC).

-------

From Swimming World:

Sprinter Andrea Santander Verbally Commits to USC Trojans for 2020

-------
HBear
USA Swimming write-up on Phoebe Bacon:
https://www.usaswimming.org/news-landing-page/2019/03/22/phoebe-bacon-revels-in-the-joy-in-swimming

... with some additional insight about her college leans:
Quote:

"I'll have so much more big-meet experience next summer (at Trials) than I did in 2016, so my expectations will be much different, but I feel like you've still got to have fun," said Bacon, who has narrowed her college choices to Wisconsin and Georgia. "The swimming community has been and continues to be such a supportive environment full of close friends, that I think that helps build the incredible athletes who compete for Team USA.

Come on, Bears! Rooting for some major recruit success in light of an excellent collection of baby Bears in the 2019 class.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HBear said:

USA Swimming write-up on Phoebe Bacon... with some additional insight about her college leans: :
https://www.usaswimming.org/news-landing-page/2019/03/22/phoebe-bacon-revels-in-the-joy-in-swimming
Quote:

...said Bacon, who has narrowed her college choices to Wisconsin and Georgia.

Not a major surprise or upset (see an earlier post speculating on Phoebe's college leans that's quoted below), but that USA Swimming interview does confirm that Berkeley won't be the destination for Bacon...

3) Phoebe Bacon would be a great get too, as one of the top aces in this class of extraordinary backstroke & fly talent - don't forget that we'd be bidding teary farewells to Keeks, Madds & others in 2020. However, Bacon hasn't been spotted on campus to date, and the latest rumour mill has her pegged as Dawg- friendly..

--------

Quote:

Come on, Bears! Rooting for some major recruit success in light of an excellent collection of baby Bears in the 2019 class.

Hear hear! As also expressed on this thread from Sat morning: 2019 NCAA Championships (Women's Swim/Dive)

The breakout achievements of our 2018 froskis should make for great recruiting material for Cal's programme too!

- Ema took her prev best of 1:00.65 all the way down to 58.97, making NCAA 'A' finals and carving out a new school record. Dropped almost 4 seconds in her 200 breast, close to 2 sec in her 200 IM, and achieved a new PR in her 100 Free since starting @ Berkeley. Was a key member of a national title relay and a runner-up one to boot.

- Cass already approaching her lifetime best in the 200 Fly from 2015, after having to overcome all her knee issues the past 3 or 4 years. What's more, she made a Consols final @ NCAAs in her frosh year!

- Alicia adjusting quickly to the little pool, smashing her PBs in the 100 Back & 200 Back, and was within a hair's breadth of making finals in her 200 IM..

- Izzy (with only 2 months of training w/Teri & Sarah under her belt) stormed into 2 individual NCAA A finals + won an individual B final whilst lowering her bests in the 100 Back, 100 Fly & 200 IM by a whopping 1.5 to 2 seconds in each of her 3 events, led off an NCAA & School record relay, contributed to TWO runner-up relays, plus earned new PBs in the 100 Free & 50 Back.

At this point, I'd personally venture that #3 Isabelle Stadden and/or #1 Regan Smith are the must gets remaining in this class for Bears, with our chances favouring the former of the super-talented pair.

Have to admit it did hurt more than a bit watching the A finals of the 200 Back @ 2019 NCAAs this past weekend with nary a representative from "Backstroke U" in sight ~sigh~, whilst LSJU loaded up on their scoring push to overtake Bears in the team title race, with a strong trio that numbered a freshman duo of trees, one of whom came perilously close to winning it all if it hadn't been for Wisconsin's Beata Nelson busting out an NCAA-record swim there to deny the Furdette Machine!

Isabelle (well Regan too lol) would address that hole on Cal's current lineup in a hurry, and Stadden's developing 100 Back will help with depth and complement Izzy's sprint back. IS is also reportedly good friends with top 2021 sprint prospect Gretchen Walsh...

Regan's the current American record holder in the 200 Back (and was in the 100 Back also - well until Beata took Smith's record down last week). Besides her record-worthy backstrokes, Regan's already a potential NCAA A final scorer in both butterflies + the 200 & 500 Free, with immense relay value in her stroke & freestyle sprints to mid-sprints. Heck, Izzy needs to work extra hard to recruit her bff here, I reckon - or at least to help Regan come to her senses before being put out to pasture on the Farm... :p

Just a quick look at the handful of Top 20 recruits who are still available at this point in time - basically:

#1 Regan Smith
#3 Isabelle Stadden
#6 Phoebe Bacon
#7 Emma Sticklen
#8 Quinn Schaedler
#18 Lillie Nordmann

1) Of the half a dozen uncommitted top prospects on that list, I'd tentatively venture that Bears may be up there on Isabelle Stadden's list, and arguably Teri's primary target for 2020...principally for her great fit with the team, with the programme & with our school academics/culture, plus a strong mutual interest - well I guess that IS' considerable swim skills may also be a contributing factor lol. Cal does face stiff competition though from schools like UM & UT (the latter already on a bit of a roll with their 2020 verbals), who undoubtedly are all attempting to make Isabelle an offer that she'd find hard to resist...

2) I personally would be so ecstatic if game-changer Regan Smith also chooses for the Bears, but alas am not aware of a visit from her up to this point. Due to her impending superstar status (esp if RS blows up @ Tokyo!), there might be a few concerns whether Regan would end up sticking with her full 4 years of collegiate eligibility as the financial lure of the professional route will surely beckon to her sooner than later! In spite of some signs indicating that Regan is a massive Furdette lean, my selfish wish would be for her to explore options @ Louisville if her coming here isn't meant to be
tedbear
Uh guys, it's fairly obvious who Teri has on the top of her backstroke recruit list. And I know I am really biased because she has been at the top of my personal wishlist since the recruiting cycle started, but I think she would be the perfect Cal fit in so many ways. Yes, she has visited. Yes, she has several connections to this team. And yes, she could be the domino to other very big recruits.
solobear

Due to her impending superstar status (esp if RS blows up @ Tokyo!), there might be a few concerns whether Regan would end up sticking with her full 4 years of collegiate eligibility
If Smith wants to attend just for half a year, that'd still be perfectly fine. I hope she's not waiting for furd admission.
HBear
Hoping Regan takes a page from her pal Izzy's book and notes the immense success (PBs but also camaraderie and "cool aunt" mentorship) that one of our newest Bears has had... and in only about 2 months with our team!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
tedbear said:

Uh guys, it's fairly obvious who Teri has on the top of her backstroke recruit list. And I know I am really biased because she has been at the top of my personal wishlist since the recruiting cycle started, but I think she would be the perfect Cal fit in so many ways. Yes, she has visited. Yes, she has several connections to this team. And yes, she could be the domino to other very big recruits.
Well, hopefully our Baby Bears - Ashlyn Fiorilli (2019), Jason Louser (2019), Destin Lasco (2020) - who have been selected for the current iteration of National Junior Camp at the Olympic Training Centre, will be making a good impression on tedbear's top target from the 2020 class (on top of Isabel Gormley who's also in attendance).

Not that IS really needs any additional encouragement TBH lol, being already favourably disposed towards the blue & gold :p

Although as always we can't take anything for granted - other programmes such as the Horns have been wooing & vying hard for our backstroke stud's commitment (Wolverines as well), with the Hoos trying to get into the act @ the OTC thru 2019 commits Kate Douglass, Maddie Donohoe & Ella Nelson...

Wouldn't hurt for down the road either if Ashlyn & co. were to also hit it off with Gretchen Walsh, Claire Tuggle, Justina Kozan - to name but a few from the 2021/2022 classes who were over in Colorado Springs recently...

--------

UPDATE => Ashlyn, Destin & friends up in Co.:

https://instagr.am/p/Bv-Za6Kgw0D

https://instagr.am/p/Bv7jdAjAwOy
Swimmingnerd
Wonder who this could be.... possibly a boy????

https://instagr.am/p/Bv9x4MRAhVg
swimmer19
bearz012 said:

Claire Donan (#34 Nat), who has already visited Texas, Texas A&M, and Kentucky, seen visiting Michigan with Claire Tuttle (#100 Nat) here.

Claire: I'm thrilled to announce my verbal commitment to continue my academic and swimming career at the University of Michigan! I feel that the team atmosphere and the coaches are a perfect fit for me to excel! I'm excited to have the opportunity to contribute to such an accomplished team in and out of the water. I'd like to thank my coaches, family, friends, and the amazing people I met through the college recruiting process for their support and guidance. Proud to be a Michigan Wolverine! GO BLUE

CS Ranking as of commit: #7 MI, #129 Nat
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Swimmingnerd said:

Wonder who this could be.... possibly a boy????

https://instagr.am/p/Bv9x4MRAhVg

If it's on the women's side, I'd haphazard a wild guess that the 2020 commit referred to here may be, Emma Weyant??

Quote:

#9 Virginia: #2 Alex Walsh *commit*, #4 Olivia Bray, #6 Phoebe Bacon, #9 Maxine Parker, #12 Tristen Ulett, #17 Anna Keating *commit*, #18 Lillie Nordmann, #20 Abby Harter *commit*, Emma Weyant (#11), Isabel Gormley (#27) Samantha Pearson (#31), Colby Hurt (#46), Andrea Santander (#76)

Emma's progression curve has been quite spectacular as of late, and she's even more adept in long course to boot.

Weyant has already taken known trips to the Farm and to Athens on top of Charlottesville.

If it actually turns out to be EW, can it be an indication that DeSorbo's directly issuing a challenge to LSJU's monopoly of the top recruits these past 4 years or so, since UVa has already reeled in Alex Walsh who was v. high on Meehan's want list?!

btw, a second mystery 2020 recruit was announced by the Hoos about an hour ago...on the heels of their MBB national title from last night...

• UPDATE #1 => (just half an hour after my original post lol)
Now appears after all the pyrotechnics that one of the pair of 2020 commits to UVa is actually on the men's side, distance freestyler Tanner Hering (CS ranking as of commit: #106 Nat, #5 NC)

• UPDATE #2 =>
Alright, appears that my "wild guess" was just that lol. The other 2020 Hoos verbal is apparently also from a male recruit, Will Cole (CS ranking as of commit: #45 Nat, #1 KY)...

Wondering if any recruits will be hosted by Teri over the weekend (Cal Day and all that) - or will she wait until Sept as in the past?

Would be really luvly if Bears can get some momentum going in the recruiting area and claim our very first recruit for 2020, before the remaining top talent are all snapped up by Cal's rival programmes, esp coming on the heels of NCAAs where we were sooo bear-y wowed by the fighting spirit & impressive performances of the team!

bearz012 said:

#1 Stanford: #1 Regan Smith, #2 Alex Walsh, #7 Emma Sticklen, #18 Lillie Nordmann, Emma Weyant (#13), Lola Mull (#22), Isabel Gormley (#27), Samantha Pearson (#35), Janelle Rudolph (#47)

#2 Cal: #2 Alex Walsh, #3 Isabelle Stadden, #19 Anicka Delgado, Isabel Gormley (#27)
swimmer19
bearz012 said:

Thought I'd compile a list of visits from each recruit in SS's top 20 plus some others...

#7 Emma Sticklen {TX}: Texas A&M, Texas, LSJU

Last Updated: 3/11/19

Emma: Today I am officially announcing my verbal commitment to swim at THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS! I'd like to especially thank God, my family, my coaches, my teammates, and everyone else who has supported me in my journey to be the best I can be. HOOK 'EM HORNS!

#7 EMMA STICKLEN ANNOUNCES VERBAL COMMITMENT TO TEXAS FOR 2020

https://instagr.am/p/BwF90hiByZ2
swimmer19
bearz012 said:

Well be no longer surprised haha, as Faith Knelson is paying the Trojanettes a visit this weekend, along with Sophie Housey. Would personally reckon that Faith would end up @ SC, over UGA, UofA or ASU of the schools that she's known to have visited...
Also at USC this weekend seems to be #8 Quinn Schaedler, who also visited Michigan with Sophie Housey.

https://instagr.am/p/BpfyrmbhjNp

UM also going after this 2020 mid-sprint stud, Quinn Schaedler (#21 Nat, #3 TX), on our left, seen here with Michigan freshie Katie Minnich (centre) & 2020 prospect Sophie Housey (#43 Nat, #3 MI) :

Sophie Housey was on campus this weekend, along with Olivia Livingston and Nathalie Valdman (#8 WA, #284 Nat):

https://instagr.am/p/BwTBnPfANdn
swimmer19

According to her Insta bio, looks like Gracie Felner (#2 WA, #61 Nat) is our very first 2020 commit.

Welcome to Cal, Gracie!!
HBear
Go Bears! Also a tad relieved to see some social media proof of visitors to Cal -- fingers crossed for some news of baby Bears, but welcome to the team indeed, Gracie!

Same swim club as incoming Bear Sarah DiMeco?
swimmer19
Isabelle Stadden to Cal!

https://instagr.am/p/BwUiMkrHpWb
bearz012
swimmer19 said:

Isabelle Stadden to Cal!

https://instagr.am/p/BwUiMkrHpWb
Yayy! Congrats Isabelle! Welcome to the Bear Family!

Some supportive comments from current/incoming bears:
forrestfrazier15: Go Bears!
jason_louser: YES ISABELLLLL! So happy for you. GO BEARS!
d_rose1000: CONGRATS!!
aliciawilson2000: Omg CANNOT wait to be teammates
alexa.neely: Ahh so excited to have you here!!
tedbear
And the happiest Bear Fan of them all is me!!!! Welcome to the Bear family Isabelle! I will be your biggest fan throughout your career here at Cal. This is absolutely huge for this teams needs and for its future. Teri knows what she is doing, and I have complete faith in her identifying and developing talent. Now only if Isabelle can get her buddy Gretchen to join her. :P
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swimmer19 said:

Isabelle Stadden to Cal!
Yaaaasss!!!! Massive congrats to Isabelle (and also Gracie Felner as shared by swimmer19 in an earlier post) - a beary warm welcome goes out to both of our 2020 Baby Bears as they join the fam!

#3 Isabelle Stadden - CS ranking as of commit: #2 MN, #8 Nat

Some swim info on IS below: (...EDIT -> took the liberty of updating some of the times below )
SwimSwam said:

3. Isabelle Stadden Aquajets Swim Team - Blaine High School - Blaine, MN

Best Times: 100 back - 51.33 51.23, 200 back - 1:52.04 1:50.37, 200 IM - 1:59.56, 50 free - 22.96 22.71, 100 fly - 54.39

The second Minnesotan in our top 3, Stadden has been surging over the past year or so. Since November, she's dropped her 100 back from 54.8 to 51.3 51.2 and her 200 from 1:58.7 to 1:50.3. She doesn't have a stellar third event yet, but keeps dropping in everything seemingly every time she swims she dropped time at Minnesota's high school state meet in November, then added another round of lifetime-bests at Winter Juniors in December, and blew out even those times at NCSAs in March. Stadden is going to need massive drops to rise any higher in this class (she can Minnesota nice-ly thank her state-mate Smith for that), but is tremendous value at #3. She comes from the same club that produced Rachel Bootsma.
bearz012 said:

TARGETS:

Not to be forgotten, of course (if we don't get Regan), is another Minnesotean, #3 Isabelle Stadden, who has been dropping time like crazy, and boasts times of 51.3 51.2 and 1:52.0 -> 1:50.37 in the backstrokes. She doesn't quite have a third event, but based on her 100 IM time, she should be able to improve in the 200 IM.

Of the half a dozen uncommitted top prospects on that list, I'd tentatively venture that Bears may be up there on Isabelle Stadden's list, and arguably Teri's primary target for 2020...principally for her great fit with the team, with the programme & with our school academics/culture, plus a strong mutual interest - well I guess that IS' considerable swim skills may also be a contributing factor lol.
tedbear said:

OBear073akaSMFan
#8 NAT, #2 MN . Welcome to the Bear Territory! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwwllllll
BearDevil
tedbear said:

And the happiest Bear Fan of them all is me!!!! Welcome to the Bear family Isabelle! I will be your biggest fan throughout your career here at Cal. This is absolutely huge for this teams needs and for its future. Teri knows what she is doing, and I have complete faith in her identifying and developing talent. Now only if Isabelle can get her buddy Gretchen to join her. :P

So stoked!!! Congrats to IS, Teri, and Sarah. Especially stoked for tedbear, he was devastated when Penny went pro, but IS came through for him.
bearz012

#3 ISABELLE STADDEN ANNOUNCES VERBAL COMMITMENT TO CAL FOR 2020

Isabelle Stadden of the Aquajets in Minnesota has verbally committed to the California Berkeley Golden Bears. Stadden, SwimSwam's #3 recruit in the class of 2020, is following in the footsteps of Cal great Rachel Bootsma, a 2012 Olympic gold medalist who swam four years for the Bears and came to Berkeley by way of the Aquajets, too.
Isabelle Stadden said:

I couldn't be happier to announce my verbal commitment to continue my academics and swimming at the University of California Berkeley!! Thank you to all of my family, friends, and coaches for the love and support through this process and for helping me get here. So excited to be a baby bear!! GO BEARS

TOP TIMES
SCY
  • 50 back 24.43
  • 100 back 51.33
  • 200 back 1:50.37
  • 100 breast 1:02.31
  • 100 fly 54.39
  • 200 IM 1:59.56
  • 400 IM 4:15.77
  • 50 free 22.96
LCM
  • 50 back 28.13
  • 100 back 1:00.06
  • 200 back 2:08.24
  • 200 IM 2:17.02
Primarily a backstroker, Stadden ranks 5th all-time in the 15-16 age group in the 200m back and 6th in the 100m back, just .29 behind where Bootsma was at 16 in the 100. She's far from a one-stroke swimmer, though, with impressive versatility in every other discipline and the range to bring a nice IM at both the 200 and 400 distance.

Right now, her time in the 200 back would've placed her 4th in the event at the 2019 NCAA Championships, while she'd have made the 100 back B final. Cal was led by Amy Bilquist, Isabel Ivey, and Keaton Blovad in the backstroke this past season, but Bilquist has completed her NCAA career and Blovad is a rising senior. Ivey, meanwhile, started her freshman year in January and will have some overlap with Stadden.

This is a huge snag for Cal, who previously had no top 20 recruits in their class of 2024 despite Stadden being the 16th of the top 20 to have announced a verbal commitment. With #2 Alex Walsh heading to Virginia, that leaves #1 Regan Smith and #6 Phoebe Bacon in terms of the four juggernaut backstrokers of the class still left to commit somewhere. Bacon is reportedly down to either Wisconsin or Georgia.

While Cal has been out-classed by many top teams in terms of the 2020 recruit market on the women's side, it's worth noting that Stanford has yet to land a top 20 commit thus far in the game. Just four of our top 20 remain uncommitted on the women's side.
HBear
Woohoo!!!
HBear
Letting out a big, internal "dawwww" from this comment on Isabelle's commitment Instagram:

r_bootsma15: Best news I've seen all day! You will love it!!!

tedbear
HBear said:

Letting out a big, internal "dawwww" from this comment on Isabelle's commitment Instagram:

r_bootsma15: Best news I've seen all day! You will love it!!!

I have no doubt that Boots had an influence on Isabelle's decision.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

SW's write-up on Isabelle's verbal to Cal - which btw appears to have been quite a popular one with her National Junior teammates, even with those who had committed to other programmes such as UVA, UGA, IU, etc :p

Note our 2020 Baby Bear's prowess in long course (200m Back in particular) on top of her short course talents...i.e. potential to follow in Calympians Thleen, Bootsie, Missy & Natalie's footsteps?

-------

Isabelle Stadden, US National Team Member, Verbally Commits to Cal for the Fall of 2020

by ANDY ROSS

16-year-old Isabelle Stadden, one of the best backstrokers in the nation, verbally committed to Cal for the class of 2024 on Tuesday via Instagram. Stadden is one of the top ranked recruits in the class of 2020 and is the second ranked recruit in the state of Minnesota behind fellow US National Team member Regan Smith.

Stadden is primarily a backstroker with impressive times of 51.23 and 1:50.37 in short course yards. Stadden would have been in the A-Final in the 200 back and B-Final in the 100 back at this past year's NCAAs in March. She would have also been Cal's number one 200 backstroker this year and their third 100 backstroker behind outgoing senior Amy Bilquist and freshman Izzy Ivey.

Stadden also has very impressive long course best times of 1:00.07 and 2:08.24 in the 100 and 200 back.

Stadden was third this past summer in the 200 backstroke at US Nationals, which qualified her to swim for Team USA at the Pan American Games this summer. She was the gold medalist in the 200 back at Junior Pan Pacs this past summer.

Stadden is also one of seven women on the US National Team that are currently still in high school. She is in her junior year at Blaine High School in Blaine, Minnesota and swims for Katherine Lundsten at Aquajets Swim Team. Stadden comes from the same club team as 2012 Olympian Rachel Bootsma.

The other National Team members that are still in high school are Phoebe Bacon, Mariah Denigan, Regan Smith, Chase Travis, Alex Walsh and Emily Weiss.

Stadden also has NCAA relay scoring ability in the sprint free events where she is a 22.71 in the 50 and 50.14 in the 100 free. Cal won both sprint free relays at NCAAs this year and have been known to churn out sprinters.

Cal has also been well known at producing great backstroke talent. This decade, they have had NCAA champions in either the 100 or 200 back from Bootsma, Missy Franklin, Elizabeth Pelton and Cindy Tran.

Stadden joins a Cal team that has been the NCAA runner-up three years in a row. By the time Stadden gets to Berkeley in the fall of 2020, Cal will have Robin Neumann as a senior leader and Izzy Ivey will be a junior.

The Golden Bears will have Danielle Carter, Chloe Clark, Emma Davidson, Sarah Dimeco, Ashlyn Fiorilli, Anna Kalandadze, RachelKlinker and Ayla Spitz on campus in the fall as freshmen.

Stadden will join the next year's class and is the first big name the Golden Bears have been able to scoop up in this class.

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012 said:

TARGETS:

#6 Phoebe Bacon: backstroke (51.6 -> 51.18/1:52.8), fly (52.9), also quite good at breaststroke (1:01) She's also from the same team as Cass, though not at the same site (NCAP has multiple sites across Maryland and Virginia - Cass is from VA, while Phoebe trains in MD)

HBear said:

USA Swimming write-up on Phoebe Bacon... with some additional insight about her college leans: :

Quote:

...said Bacon, who has narrowed her college choices to Wisconsin and Georgia.

Yuri already making quite an impact as Head Coach w/the Badgers - Beata & her records @ 2019 NCAAs, and now on the recruiting front!

#6 Phoebe Bacon -> Wisconsin

CS Ranking as of commit: #3 Nat, #1 MD

https://instagr.am/p/Bwfz-iZpf5a

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.