Off Topic Board Going Forward

8,103 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big C
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
The spirit of this board is for Cal sports fans to talk any and all topics outside of Cal athletics.

We give everyone here a lot of leeway, so long as the terms of service are followed.

However, traffic on this board is WAY down (in terms of # of readers and posters). As a result, we're going to enforce the trolling policy more closely.

If you intentionally provoke or antagonize folks or clearly are not part of having a real dialog, you will not last here for very long. We're still going to let folks debate and argue but if it appears to be intentionally done with malice or for the sake of pure provocation, we're going to be less tolerant.

Ditto goes for those that are positing A LOT here and on the same topics. That's trolling.

Let's see if we can make this slightly more civilized and sane and hopefully folks will start to come back to read and post. Because right now, they are choosing to stay away. And that's not the purpose of what was a very popular board on BI.
dajo9
BearGreg said:

The spirit of this board is for Cal sports fans to talk any and all topics outside of Cal athletics.

We give everyone here a lot of leeway, so long as the terms of service are followed.

However, traffic on this board is WAY down (in terms of # of readers and posters). As a result, we're going to enforce the trolling policy more closely.

If you intentionally provoke or antagonize folks or clearly are not part of having a real dialog, you will not last here for very long. We're still going to let folks debate and argue but if it appears to be intentionally done with malice or for the sake of pure provocation, we're going to be less tolerant.

Ditto goes for those that are positing A LOT here and on the same topics. That's trolling.

Let's see if we can make this slightly more civilized and sane and hopefully folks will start to come back to read and post. Because right now, they are choosing to stay away. And that's not the purpose of what was a very popular board on BI.

Legitimately curious - when was this a popular board?
bearister
During the run up to the 2016 Election and during the tRump presidency…..then it crashed and burned primarily because of one poster, and with substantial assistance from another.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
dajo9
Well, it's true this board is a bust
SBGold
well, HTP is done here (no trolling allowed)
Big C

Cal fans can conceivably have a lot to discuss besides Cal sports. I'm thinking of all the threads on Growls that were marked "OT". Unfortunately, OT has just come to mean left-right political stuff. That's okay if it's only one aspect of the discussion, but when politics totally dominates, this board just becomes a cesspool.

I love politics, but the back and forth just gets old after a while. Nobody is convincing anybody else. The year 2020 was a little different because of the election and the pandemic and their importance.

Thanks ConcordTom and a few others who have attempted to broaden the discussion.

C'mon guys...
BearForce2
Trump brought in the media ratings and activity to the OT board. The Trump haters outnumbered the rest here by a good margin so they had a lot to say the last 4 years, But they don't have much to bring to the table now and I don't blame them since even they don't like Brandon. Most of the time, they're just reacting to whichever poster is currently annoying them at the moment...helltopay, yogi, etc...Activity will pick up again in another couple of years.
SBGold
But you and HTP will be toast by then
BearForce2
SBGold said:

I don't remember seeing you around here.
82gradDLSdad
Big C said:

Cal fans can conceivably have a lot to discuss besides Cal sports. I'm thinking of all the threads on Growls that were marked "OT". Unfortunately, OT has just come to mean left-right political stuff. That's okay if it's only one aspect of the discussion, but when politics totally dominates, this board just becomes a cesspool.

I love politics, but the back and forth just gets old after a while. Nobody is convincing anybody else. The year 2020 was a little different because of the election and the pandemic and their importance.

Thanks ConcordTom and a few others who have attempted to broaden the discussion.

C'mon guys...

Pansy.
82gradDLSdad
82gradDLSdad said:

Big C said:

C'mon guys...

Pansy.

Wait, did I just get myself banned?
dajo9
Big C said:

C'mon guys...
Well done, rookie
MinotStateBeav
BearGreg said:

Maybe you should enforce posts that call for people to be killed. I don't see a lot of moderating there champ. Until you do that, the rest of your rules don't mean sh*t.
B.A. Bearacus
MinotStateBeav said:

BearGreg said:

Maybe you should enforce posts that call for people to be killed. I don't see a lot of moderating there champ. Until you do that, the rest of your rules don't mean sh*t.

Will be used in textbooks as a classic example of suicide by cop.
kelly09
Big C said:

C'mon guys...
ConcordTom. ....REALLY????
B.A. Bearacus
MinotStateBeav said:

Champ, no one is calling for anyone to be killed. Are you being serious or being intentionally over-the-top? You are saying that someone is advocating murder. No one is doing that.
oski003
B.A. Bearacus said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Champ, no one is calling for anyone to be killed. Are you being serious or being intentionally over-the-top? You are saying that someone is advocating murder. No one is doing that.

The only person who advocates murder repeatedly is ConcordTom.
dajo9
oski003 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

MinotStateBeav said:

I think Concordtom stopped doing that a long time ago (after a timeout, maybe?).

I could be wrong.
hanky1
BearGreg said:

Dude we stink this year. That's the reason for the low traffic.
BearForce2
hanky1 said:

BearGreg said:

Dude we stink this year. That's the reason for the low traffic.

We stink, no traffic, and not many are interested in talking about how Biden stinks.
OT's best days will come when Cal starts winning and if orange man is in the White House again.
B.A. Bearacus
oski003 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

MinotStateBeav said:

This is a very serious accusation. You're accusing yourself and MS-Beav of misinterpreting a known poster's morbid sense of humor with an actual call for murder. Aren't you being a little hard on yourself?
oski003
B.A. Bearacus said:

oski003 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

MinotStateBeav said:

This is a very serious accusation. You're accusing yourself and MS-Beav of misinterpreting a known poster's morbid sense of humor with an actual call for murder. Aren't you being a little hard on yourself?

The only person who constantly gives detailed accounts of how he wants to murder someone or have them murdered is ConcordTom. I think he is joking, but I am not entirely sure.
Eastern Oregon Bear
B.A. Bearacus said:

MinotStateBeav said:

BearGreg said:

I saw a couple of the Beav's posts this morning that aren't there now. I suspect he's pissed that he's been moderated. Deservedly so.
MinotStateBeav
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

MinotStateBeav said:

BearGreg said:

I saw a couple of the Beav's posts this morning that aren't there now. I suspect he's pissed that he's been moderated. Deservedly so.
Had nothing to do with my post, I posted what I meant. ConcordTom isn't the only one doing it either. If a mod isn't going to nuke simple posts such as wishing death, then no rules here matter. Also fyi, the post that got nuked of mine earlier was a simple picture of the "gigavaxxed" being funny within the conversation, but our wise mods will have no humor here. Off Topic is no funny business to BearGreg!!
bearister
A musical interlude belongs in every thread to cleanse the mental palate.

Ladies and gentlemen, presented for your consideration, the late Steve Marriott, before he screamed his intestines out with Humble Pie:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calbearinamaze

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
B.A. Bearacus
MinotStateBeav said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

MinotStateBeav said:

BearGreg said:

Had nothing to do with my post, I posted what I meant. ConcordTom isn't the only one doing it either. If a mod isn't going to nuke simple posts such as wishing death then no rules here matter. Also fyi, the post that got nuked of mine earlier was a simple picture of the "gigavaxxed" being funny within the conversation, but our wise mods will have no humor here. Off Topic is no funny business to BearGreg!!

Goal posts officially moved across the street. War crimes tribunal led by MS-Beav now investigating a pile of pennies extricated from the scene of a fountain.

SBGold
You're trolling along with HTP usually keeps me off. It's the behavior that BearGreg mentioned that has limited my visits. The mods have had enough
SBGold
Lol, dude's a mess
blungld
Thanks and long overdue. This had become like some teenage 4chan board with trolls out trolling other trolls with mindless memes and twitter links and little to no sincere fact-based discussion.

Basically totally yuck with the ugliest loudest voices happily spewing multiple shttposts.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
BearForce2
SBGold said:

You're trolling along with HTP usually keeps me off. It's the behavior that BearGreg mentioned that has limited my visits. The mods have had enough

But you're the troll.

Quote:

hanky1
BearForce2 said:

SBGold said:

But you're the troll.

Quote:

That's the joke. Many people here are so delusional that their delusion makes them a troll but they have no idea.
blungld
hanky1 said:

That's the joke. Many people here are so delusional that their delusion makes them a troll but they have no idea.
So are you delusional or do you know you are a troll?

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Big C
kelly09 said:

Big C said:

C'mon guys...
ConcordTom. ....REALLY????

ConcordTom has been vociferously to the left on the political threads, to be sure. But he has also reached out to get people involved in topics besides politics which is, I think, the point: The Off Topic forum has become one-dimensional.
BearForce2

Mods, you can encourage others to post old topics that were once popular in order to boost traffic.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.