The Official Russian Invasion of Ukraine Thread

594,749 Views | 8571 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by dajo9
Goldener Bar
How long do you want to ignore this user?

BearHunter
movielover said:

Wasn't Vindman the catturd that testified before Congress and asked that he be addressed by his rank?
Cal88
A Ukrainian platoon in Avdeevka with many soldiers injured and no prospects of getting rescued by their own surrendered to Russia, luckily for them the war is over:

"A Ukrainian forces platoon surrendered in the direction of Avdeevka. The 110th brigade platoon commander of the Ukrainian army contacted with one of the Russian units. He wanted to rescue the personnel, but his command refused to evacuate them.

After negotiations, the AFU unit went to the Russian side in full force. The wounded were treated."
movielover
Why haven't we sent half our military doctors to Poland to treat the injured? It would be invaluable experience and humanitarian.
Unit2Sucks
Haven't posted in a few days. Obviously we are early in the Ukrainian counter-offensive and very much in the fog of war. There have clearly been some missteps (some disastrous) and some early wins. There is almost no reason to believe that this offensive will win or lose the war for Ukraine but we'll learn a little bit more about how this relative stalemate may play out.

Some interesting things I've read recently:

And just a reminder, for anyone who needs it, that Russia's military is still a corrupt war crime factory (and that Wagner isn't afraid to mix some fraud with their merc battle with the Kremlin). And of course, they aren't afraid of using their church to amplify the power of their corrupt kleptocracy.

And as many of my fellow parents struggle with what summer camps to sign up for, just know that you can send your kids to Siberia to get real para-military training instead of just collecting badges and selling cookies.

BearHunter

Payback money for the bribe.
Goldener Bar
BearHunter said:

They got good return on that investment
movielover
sycasey
Goldener Bar said:

BearHunter said:

They got good return on that investment

Didn't think you'd come around on this, but I agree that the aid to Ukraine has been a good investment!
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearHunter said:

Seems a little short of the "trillions and trillions" amount some of you keep claiming we've spent on Ukraine.
movielover
Council on Foreign Relations says over $75 Billion.

But then there is NATO, NATO countries, and replenishing their stockpiles and equipment.

https://www.cfr.org/article/how-much-aid-has-us-sent-ukraine-here-are-six-charts
Big C
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

BearHunter said:

Seems a little short of the "trillions and trillions" amount some of you keep claiming we've spent on Ukraine.

The expenditures have only just begun: Whatever ends up being left of an independent Ukraine, we will "help" them build it back up, which is probably a helluva lot more expensive than destroying it was.

Good thing there's nothing worth investing in in this country... and good thing the national debt is now meaningless. (Sarcasm. Do I really need to say it?)
dajo9
Big C said:

BearHunter said:

The expenditures have only just begun: Whatever ends up being left of an independent Ukraine, we will "help" them build it back up, which is probably a helluva lot more expensive than destroying it was.

Good thing there's nothing worth investing in in this country... and good thing the national debt is now meaningless. (Sarcasm. Do I really need to say it?)

Blame the Republicans for stopping Biden's infrastructure plan
American Vermin
movielover
Big C said:

BearHunter said:

Blackrock already has huge influence in the White House.
movielover
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

BearHunter said:

You mean the $1.2 Trillion Bill where only about 20% goes to traditional infrastructure?

Biden also added another $1.8 Trillion [edited, typo] with Build Back Better.
Eastern Oregon Bear
movielover said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

BearHunter said:

You mean the $1.2 Trillion Bill where only about 20% goes to traditional infrastructure?

Biden also added another $1.8 Billion with Build Back Better.
In terms of the federal budget, $1.8 Billion is chump change.
movielover

movielover said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

BearHunter said:

Biden also added another $1.8 Billion with Build Back Better.
In terms of the federal budget, $1.8 Billion is chump change.

[$1.8 Trillion (typo).]

Only to Marxists.
Cal88
First the UK, now the US - not a good look.

The US is set to approve depleted-uranium tank shells for Ukraine, the WSJ said.
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-to-supply-depleted-uranium-ammo-to-ukraine-wsj-2023-6
movielover
Cal88 said:

First the UK, now the US - not a good look.

The US is set to approve depleted-uranium tank shells for Ukraine, the WSJ said.
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-to-supply-depleted-uranium-ammo-to-ukraine-wsj-2023-6

Horrendous. No judgment or wisdom.
Unit2Sucks
Few more hits today.

Translation of a recent Putin communique around mobilization.

Although Putin isn't "mobilizing" he is still sourcing. Here's a thread about converting police to military.

Another possible example of infighting between Prigozhin and the Kremlin. Prigozhin may have leaked the location of Kadyrov's right hand man to Ukraine.

Russia military command continuing to prove its doubters right.

Starting to see how UFA's offensive is pressuring Russia to make hard choices.

Goldener Bar
Unit2Sucks said:

Few more hits today.

Although Putin isn't "mobilizing" he is still sourcing. Here's a thread about converting police to military.

Another possible example of infighting between Prigozhin and the Kremlin. Prigozhin may have leaked the location of Kadyrov's right hand man to Ukraine.

I know whenever I look for an authoritative source, I look to a guy with a name like ChrisO_Wiki.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Goldener Bar said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Few more hits today.

I know whenever I look for an authoritative source, I look to a guy with a name like ChrisO_Wiki.
I know he's no @Trollstoy, but I'd read what he's saying before I dismiss it out of hand.
Goldener Bar

Goldener Bar said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Few more hits today.

I know he's no @Trollstoy, but I'd read what he's saying before I dismiss it out of hand.
Submit your objections about @Trollstoy to the person who posts them. I'm not responsible for other people's posts.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Goldener Bar said:

Goldener Bar said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Few more hits today.

Submit your objections about @Trollstoy to the person who posts them. I'm not responsible for other people's posts.
I await your equally mocking contempt the next time movielover or BearHunter posts Trollstoy's pearls of wisdom.
oski003

Goldener Bar said:

Goldener Bar said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Few more hits today.

I await your equally mocking contempt the next time movielover or BearHunter posts Trollstoy's pearls of wisdom.

That's a common illogical ask in the lefty playbook. Because he is criticizing a questionable source he disagrees with, you want him to also criticize other questionable sources . No thanks.
Unit2Sucks
Mounting evidence that Russia's 205th brigade blew up the dam. This was reported quite widely more than a week ago but more recent evidence has surfaced on the 205th's telegram channel that they blew it up and miscalculated the impact.

Of course, Russian sources continue to push their low-grade propaganda that it was the AFU that blew the dam. Rather than expecting Americans or other internationals to be dumb enough to believe the propaganda, the main purpose is to continue to convince Russian's to support Putin's dumb pointless debacle of a war.

Add misinformation around the dam explosion to the list of obvious tells that someone is an amplifier or Russian propaganda rather than a knowledgeable or trustworthy source of merit.
Cal88
^First, there is plenty of proof of Ukraine bombing the rim of this same dam last year with HIMARS rockets.

Second, it's highly unlikely that the Russians did it, as the dam provided them with strategic leverage over the Dniepr in the Kherson oblast. Before the dam broke, they could, at any moment of their choosing, flood and cut off any large Ukrainian armed contingent that manages to cross over into the left bank. That is one of the main reasons Ukraine bombed it. The other incentive was to take away from the PR disaster of the early stages of the Ukrainian offensive.

I do understand that this kind of basic rational analysis is above your pay grade when it comes to this topic.

In other news, Putin stated in his long press conference today that since the start of the Ukrainian offensive on June 4th, Ukraine has lost 160 tanks and 360 armored vehicles, representing about 30% of the total armored fleet provided by NATO. This doesn't bode well for Ukraine in this war of attrition as the NATO inventories are already drained.

The silver lining of the failure of the Ukrainian offensive is that they might be forced to negotiate a settlement, as the situation is most likely going to worsen with Ukraine's dwindling military resources. We might be getting a lot closer to a resolution of the military phase of this conflict by this winter, if not earlier.
Goldener Bar

Goldener Bar said:

Goldener Bar said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Few more hits today.

Nah, you guys seem like you got that covered. I'd rather mock the guys posting random pro-war Twitter accounts as if they know anything more than any random Twitter person.
Goldener Bar
Unit2Sucks said:

Mounting evidence that Russia's 205th brigade blew up the dam.
LOL. You have about as much evidence on who blew up that dam as you have evidence of a pee tape, which is none. But no matter how many times the U.S. changes their stories on who did what, you'll continue to lap it up.
Big C
Goldener Bar said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LOL. You have about as much evidence on who blew up that dam as you have evidence of a pee tape, which is none. But no matter how many times the U.S. changes their stories on who did what, you'll continue to lap it up.

Who the hell knows who blew up the damn dam, but we all know the pee tape exists... somewhere. "No evidence" (so far, that we know of) doesn't mean jack squat.
Goldener Bar
Big C said:

Goldener Bar said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Who the hell knows who blew up the damn dam, but we all know the pee tape exists... somewhere. "No evidence" (so far, that we know of) doesn't mean jack squat.
You're not gonna score big points on our Off Topic debate team with arguments like that
Big C
Goldener Bar said:

Big C said:

Goldener Bar said:

Unit2Sucks said:

You're not gonna score big points on our Off Topic debate team with arguments like that

dozens of other reasons, as well, why i don't belong on that team
Goldener Bar
Big C said:

Goldener Bar said:

Big C said:

Goldener Bar said:

Unit2Sucks said:

dozens of other reasons, as well, why i don't belong on that team
All kidding aside though, you seem like a cool dude. Maybe you wouldn't carry us to the win, but we'd have a good time with you on the team.
BearHunter
Big C said:

Goldener Bar said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Big C you are a cool dude! And don't worry, even Time Magazine doesn't know what it's talking about.

While the article is grounded and written by Ukraine experts, the headline is misleading. Chernobyl is already Ukraine's own Chernobyl, because it is a city in Ukraine.
Cal88
How Russia is winning the war - the Lancet drone:

The Lancet is a homemade loitering drone program which the Russians perfected during the war. It is the most efficient drone system in the world today, with a range of up to 70km and capable of destroying fast-moving vehicles. It is mass-produced in a giant plant with a unit cost around $10k - $15k.

In the 9min compilation above, the Russians destroyed nearly half a billion dollars' worth of equipment at a cost of less than a million $'s worth of Lancets. This weapon system is one of the reasons Russia is winning the war of attrition.

First Page Last Page
Page 154 of 245

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.