The Official Russian Invasion of Ukraine Thread

804,201 Views | 9692 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by Cal88
Zippergate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Perhaps we could convince Ukrainian solders to donate their organs.

Cal88

Cal88
NATO head Stoltenberg...

movielover
This makes no sense. If they can save 80% of their territory, or 60%, do it.

In the 20 - 29 age group, why are women hallowed out?

Guns are regulated in Ukraine. When will some young men start pulling hand guns on the Gestapo recruiters?
Cal88
movielover said:

This makes no sense. If they can save 80% of their territory, or 60%, do it.

In the 20 - 29 age group, why are women hallowed out?

Guns are regulated in Ukraine. When will some young men start pulling hand guns on the Gestapo recruiters?

It's a very damning quote from Stoltenberg, they don't give a crap about Ukraine, knowing full well they are going to lose it.

As far as the population pyramid above, it represents Ukraine with most of its expats, total of 38M people, whereas the actual number of Ukrainians currently living within the unoccupied 80% of the country is around 20M, nearly half of that pyramid, and most of the people who have left are younger men and women.
movielover
The Ukrainian family was great, and I tred lightly given the sensitive topic and two sets of young ears. The conversation jumped around.

She moved first to Ottawa w the children at the start of the war, he followed later. They spent two years in Canada, and remarked on going from a homogeneous country to a diverse population. Her son's class was almost exclusively East Indian in Canada. They're now just settling into Palo Alto (just 2 weeks here), and he works remotely at night coding for his Ukranian employer. We met at McDonalds, and I told the kids about In-N-Out and the secret menu, as well as the Chick-fil-A "Eat more chiken" ads. (Mom was about 5'10" and 120 pounds and they drank water (healthy).) Pleasant people, modest, sharp. Two s/w engineers. Many children today in UKR are distance learning bc of the war. I asked her if they like California. "Sure, good weather & no missiles. Everybody is very friendly."

They made some comments about the cultural tensions / civil war in Ukraine, but it's not my strong suit. 'Hello' in Ukranian is almost identical to Russian. Borscht is their national dish.

They realize Zelensky didn't have the typical leader's background, and they originally wondered if he was patriotic. They had mixed feelings about him. (They voted for Petrovitch? ??) They allege when Zelensky was first president he prioritized building roads and bridges, R&B Putin later used (their son chuckled at that). Not military defense.

They said Russian troops sent to Kiev only had 3 days of rations, and some military were outfitted in parade uniforms. Ergo, they weren't expecting a tough battle. Citizens fought back w homemade molotov cocktails.

They were adamant that if they had weapons and ammo earlier, they could hold off Russia. She believes Russians are masters of propoganda, and employ it worldwide to foment division.

They mentioned giving up their extensive nuclear weapons cache and how they were supposed to be supported, including by the US.

I mentioned Hunter Biden being curiously involved in Ukranian energy deals, and then Chinese investment banking. There was no reply. I told them about Eisenhower and his MIC famous quote. They tacitly acknowledged it.

I referenced the peace talks in Turkey which were abruptly ended by Boris Johnson, and he replied, "Cat & Mouse. How can we trust Putin?"

She mentioned Oakland had an ominous feeling, and I told them to be careful. I noted UKR famous dirt, and they replied how Hitler stole some of it. Her oldest son loves Mexican food and can handle spicy. They were unaware of Tahoe.

They may return to Ukraine eventually, but their life is up in the air now. There are questions I kick myself for not asking, but I was treading lightly.
Cal88
I doubt it's the main reason for the recent Russian advances, but it's definitely part of the landscape in Ukraine:
bearister
Russia on the brink as Vladimir Putin's men slaughtered during worst day of the war so far | World | News | Express.co.uk

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1898506/russia-ukraine-war-losses-highest-day
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oski003
bearister said:

Russia on the brink as Vladimir Putin's men slaughtered during worst day of the war so far | World | News | Express.co.uk

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1898506/russia-ukraine-war-losses-highest-day

4,414 Allied troops were killed on D-Day. It is war, and it sucks.
Cal88
The Russian advances in the north have not met very strong resistance so far, hence the outrage from Ukrainian sources posted above. Their losses have not been anywhere near the British press-relayed Ukrainian estimate of 1,700, this is Ghost of Kyiv-type war propaganda.

Good rundown of the current situation by Col. Davis:

The Ghoul
bearister said:

Quote:

The Daily Express is a British right-wing tabloid newspaper that routinely utilizes sensational headlines such as this: NATO TERRIFIED: Trump may 'seriously undermine' alliance in Putin meeting world on ALERT. Articles are typically written by journalists or correspondents and are reasonably sourced to credible information. However, like many tabloids, the Daily Express also publishes conspiracy and pseudoscience articles such as these: 'Portal OPENS' above New Jersey with some fearing it's a sign of PLANET X and Could this strange corpse be the world's first proof aliens have visited Earth?

The paper's editorial stances have often been seen as aligned to the UK Independence Party (UKIP), Euroscepticism, and many other right-wing factions, including the Conservative Party's right-wing. Finally, they have frequently promoted misinformation regarding Covid-19. See fact checks below.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-express/

Yeah, I'd be looking to them for accurate war coverage.
https://media.tenor.com/uARaKFpSkaMAAAAC/anger-management-jack-nicholson.gif

movielover
Cal88

bear2034

Suspending elections. I wonder if something like that could happen here.
movielover
Obama will not go gently into that good night.
bearister
bear2034 said:

In effect, it was attempted, via the criminal plot to overthrow the 2020 Election. I am fairly confident that tRump would suspend the 2028 Election but for the fact that he most likely is going to expire from a Intracerebral hemorrhage at some point during the first 100 days of tRump Redux.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
The Ghoul
bearister said:

bear2034 said:

In effect, it was attempted, via the criminal plot to overthrow the 2020 Election. I am fairly confident that tRump would suspend the 2028 Election but for the fact that he most likely is going to expire from a Intracerebral hemorrhage at some point during the first 100 days of tRump Redux.
Never fails to astound how Biden voters excuse the suspension of democracy abroad (while we hypocritically claim we're defending democracy L to the O to the L) while projecting the destruction of democracy here despite the fact that the guy they claim is the death of democracy was last removed from office by........democracy.

Big C

"Democrat Party" Derangement Syndrome

Maybe Pfizer and/or Moderna could come up with a vaccine for that... should probably be mandated, lol.
movielover
Removed by rigged elections in six swing states, never happened before.

All six systems go down, simultaneously, all in swing states, and all six magically go from yuuge Trump advantages to Biden winning by a razor thin margin? Please.
Zippergate
More winning. But more US aid will turn the tide I'm sure.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/11368718/ukraine-reserves-kharkhiv-assault/

Ukraine's military has admitted it is struggling to contain the advance in the north east of the country.
General Kyrylo Budanov, boss of Kyiv's military intelligence said: "I've used everything we have.
"Unfortunately, we don't have anyone else in the reserves."
Putin's troops have seized miles of ground in their fastest advances in months.
The blitz, said to be the first stage of Russia's summer offensive, is designed to stretch Ukraine's already outnumbered defenders.
Kyiv said the Russian push appeared to have run out of steam last night but, in the face of Putin's 500,000-strong force, warned that could change quickly.
Royal United Services Institute war expert Dr Jack Watling said unless Ukraine could muster more troops its prospects were bleak as Russia had "significant numerical superiority".
He said: "The Russian forces have now expanded to 510,000 troops.

movielover
Colonel Douglass McGregor predicted this five months ago.

CNN: Ukraine warns northern front has 'significantly worsened' as Russia claims capture of several villages

NBC News: Ukraine withdraws troops around Kharkiv as Russian offensive gathers pace

"Even as Secretary of State Antony Blinken visited the country to reassure it of Washington's support, Ukraine was dealt new setbacks by the advancing Russian military in the northeast."

Separately, Blinken said Russia will have to pay to rebuild Ukraine. <hits the blunt>
Cal88

Slovak prime minister Fico seriously injured, shots to the abdomen...
173 Days Til No Joe
Ukraine war cheerleader comes around, realizes he's been a propagandist

Anti-war reporter rips him anyway. LOL.

173 Days Til No Joe

movielover
Is the bottom Nazi tweet true?
Zippergate
https://open.substack.com/pub/rwmalonemd/p/germanys-dark-future?r=aiop6&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

But not so fast. Is Germany nothing more than a client state of the USA? Journalist Udo Ulfkotte thought so.
Who was Udo Ulfkotte?
Udo Ulfkotte (1960 2017) was a German journalist and political scientist, renowned as a security and intelligence services expert, as well as a critic of Islam.

He was an editor for one of Germany's main daily newspapers, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) for many, many years.
He then went on to write a number of books about the collusion between the US CIA and German intelligence, his experiences as a collaborator, as well as the growing threat of Islamism in Europe.
Quote:

Ulfkotte was for a time the editor of the well-known German daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ), where he was convinced first hand that the CIA and the German BND intelligence service bribe journalists to write anti-Russian and extremely pro-Western and pro-NATO articles.
In his book "Journalists for hire" ("Gekaufte Journalisten" in German), Ulfkotte explained in great detail how the propaganda campaign of the USA and NATO works.
He then stated that he published under his name texts written by agents of various intelligence services, including the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
Before his death, Ulfkotte gave an interview to the Russian television RT, in which he stated that he was "very afraid of a new war in Europe, and that the German and U.S. media want to push Europe into war and provoke war on Russian territory". "Looking at how the German and American media are bringing war to Europe, I speak up to say that what I did in the past, manipulated people, participated in anti-Russian propaganda is wrong. The war with Russia is a point of no return. What my colleagues do is wrong. I have written a book because I am very afraid of a new war in Europe. War never comes of its own accord, there are always people who stand up for it and it's not just politicians, but also journalists. We betrayed our readers, just to push the war. I don't want this anymore, I'm tired of this propaganda. We live in a banana republic, not a democratic country where we have freedom the press", Ulfkotte said at the time.
He claimed that the CIA had corrupted journalists and major news outlets so much that it had become a routine thing, accepted and widespread in the Western media, and that journalists who did not adhere to it could not get a job or their careers were interrupted. The book is still not available in English, but in it, the former editor of Germany's Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper claims that he was a part of a program where the CIA hired American and European journalists to plant false stories in the mainstream media to further a disinformation agenda. Ulfkotte claimed to have worked with the CIA and German foreign intelligence to spin the news "in a way that was positive for the United States and bad for its opponents."
The German journalist made no attempt to cover-up that he accepted bribes from the CIA throughout his career and that he would lose his job if he did not comply. "They paid all my expenses and introduced me to Americans I would like to meet," Ulfkotte told RT, stating that he became an honorary citizen of the state of Oklahoma because he wrote pro-American articles, and had the support of the CIA. He also said on one occasion:
Quote:

"I have survived three heart attacks, I no longer have children who need my support, and day by day I watch Americans on the news as they fuel the next war. This time it takes place in Ukraine against Russia, but the game is the same".
173 Days Til No Joe

Cal88
^ The part about Obama (starting at 4:00), where Jeffrey Sachs praises him for the pragmatism he demonstrated in 2014, is very important and worth watching if you've skipped through that post:
movielover
The Guardian: Russia issues list of demands it says must be met to lower tensions in Europe

Contentious security guarantees Moscow is seeking include a ban on Ukraine from entering Nato

Andrew Roth in Moscow
Fri 17 Dec 2021

"The demands include [1] a ban on Ukraine entering Nato and [2]a limit to the deployment of troops and weapons to Nato's eastern flank, in effect returning Nato forces to where they were stationed in 1997, before an eastward expansion."

"...Moscow said ignoring its interests would lead to a "military response" similar to the Cuban missile crisis of 1962."

"...The Nato head, Jens Stoltenberg, has already ruled out any agreements denying Ukraine the right to enter the military alliance, saying it is up to Ukraine and the 30 Nato countries."

"..."This is not about us giving some kind of ultimatum, there is none. The thing is that the seriousness of our warning should not be underestimated," he said.[Russian deputy foreign minister, Sergei Ryabkov].

It was either Mearsheimer or Sachs who said Jens Stoltenberg never even responded to the letter.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/17/russia-issues-list-demands-tensions-europe-ukraine-nato
Zippergate
NATO is considering sending troops to Ukraine according to reports. We are closer to WWIII than at any time since 1962.
movielover
Our State Department goals are to weaken Russia and China.

Well, our proxy war has driven them closer together. Both China and North Korea (China) are reportedly supplying Russia with military ammunitions.

Putin has just concluded a very public trip to China.

NBC News: Putin and Xi vow to deepen 'no limits' partnership as Russia advances in Ukraine

Russian President Vladimir Putin's two-day state visit is a show of unity with Beijing as the U.S. pressures Chinese leader Xi Jinping to influence him to end the conflict.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/putin-xi-agree-deepen-partnership-russia-advances-ukraine-war-rcna152528
Big C
Zippergate said:

NATO is considering sending troops to Ukraine according to reports. We are closer to WWIII than at any time since 1962.

That would be a really bad move. I don't expect it to happen. Very, very unlikely.

Ukraine's biggest hope of actually winning would be that support for the war inside of Russia would crumble, perhaps even causing Putin to topple. Maybe that could even still happen if Ukraine managed another surge (but unlikely).

Looking for a settlement with relatively favorable terms.
173 Days Til No Joe
Big C said:

Zippergate said:

That would be a really bad move. I don't expect it to happen. Very, very unlikely.
Yeah, it's really hard to envision NATO countries making a dumb decision since all their recent decisions have been so sound.

Quote:

Losers don't get favorable terms.
movielover
Russia adapting. Unsure how many if these are pilot technologies, and how many in widespread use. BRIEF VIDEO

The comments in the video are interesting. One person noted Ukraine had the 2nd largest army in Europe (to Russia), and the most ATGMs in the world?

Amazing Russia beat them w shovels.

Zelensky would be in trouble if the war ended.
The war ending would hurt Biden.
The war ending in Israel would hurt Netanyahu.

movielover
Big C said:

Zippergate said:

Ukraine's biggest hope of actually winning would be that support for the war inside of Russia would crumble, perhaps even causing Putin to topple. Maybe that could even still happen if Ukraine managed another surge (but unlikely).

You're smoking some strong stuff. Both surges failed. Russia now moving quickly as the ground solidified w 300,000 men in reserve. NK and China backfilling Russian supplies while they also run large factories 24 x 7. Russia also moving on Kharkiv from the north.

Meanwhile, Ukraine is enlisting men w Downs Syndrome?
First Page Last Page
Page 249 of 278

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.