The Official Russian Invasion of Ukraine Thread

803,540 Views | 9692 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by Cal88
movielover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hyperbole doesn't help your argument.

Putin noting the landscape in 2007, some commenters believe he makes the UN look bad. Mentions UN troops on border states then, and not fulfilling our pledge that NATO wouldn't expand.

sycasey
movielover said:

What hyperbole? Just about everything you post here is about how the USA and/or its allies are at fault for the war, and Russia just had to do what it had to do. Clearly this is your position: USA bad, Russia just put-upon. No?
movielover
Jeffrey Sachs

movielover
You wrote: "USA is the bad guy, Russia just the poor put-upon underdog."

Now you're pretending that we're a victim?

It's real simple. Keep Ukraine neutral, don't put a dozen 'secret' CIA bases on Russia's border or bio-weapons labs. Don't listen to idiots like John Bolton or Jake Sullivan. Don't call Putin a "thug". Don't blow up NS 1 & 2.

Have peace negotiators talk DAILY. (Ukraine should also, theoretically have PN.)

But we're not getting to the root. We think we can run the world, and we played a large role in the 2014 coup. How about we strengthen ourselves domestically? Build 20 nuclear power plants, rebuild bridges, get the drug dealers off the streets. In both cases - MIC and homeless lobby - we're not about solving the problem. And the Blackrock Whitehouse wants to redistribute Ukranian ag land.
Zippergate
sycasey said:

movielover said:

What hyperbole? Just about everything you post here is about how the USA and/or its allies are at fault for the war, and Russia just had to do what it had to do. Clearly this is your position: USA bad, Russia just put-upon. No?
NO, that is not our position. It is that the US has been continually poking the bear. Whether Russia was justified in invading is not the point. The point is, had the US taken a neutral policy stance, Russia would not have invaded and war would have been avoided.
movielover
Imagine if Zelensky had told Boris Johnson to take a hike, and he signed the agreed-to peace deal. Now this lunacy.

sycasey
movielover said:

I don't think I ever said that. Talk about hyperbole!

Anyway, I agree with keeping Ukraine neutral. That also means that when Russia tries to set up puppet governments to run their country, they have every right to kick those guys out. I don't mind if the US encourages such actions.
sycasey
Zippergate said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

NO, that is not our position. It is that the US has been continually poking the bear. Whether Russia was justified in invading is not the point. The point is, had the US taken a neutral policy stance, Russia would not have invaded and war would have been avoided.
In my opinion, the extent to which this happened has been DRASTICALLY overstated by people like you, especially if you compare it to all the shenanigans and nonsense Russia pulls in nations near its borders. And ultimately it's irrelevant to whether or not the US should support Ukraine's fight.
Zippergate
No and no. Your opinions. The facts are clear.
movielover
sycasey said:

movielover said:

I don't think I ever said that. Talk about hyperbole!

Anyway, I agree with keeping Ukraine neutral. That also means that when Russia tries to set up puppet governments to run their country, they have every right to kick those guys out. I don't mind if the US encourages such actions.

Except Russia is in the driver's seat, having vanquished Ukraine and NATO. Will Russia want 15%, 20% of Ukranian land where historically cultural Russian people live?

And I agree w McGregor, Putin's not going to agree to a setp which leads to another NATO or civil war in 20 years. Which would mean no US or NATO in Ukraine, no CIA, no provocations. Probably some kind of Russian monitors as well.

If this drags on, Russia could take Odessa and cut off sea access to a future state.
bear2034

Biolabs in Ukraine, blown-up undersea gas pipelines, Biden family involvement in Ukraine. This stuff isn't just going to go away.
sycasey
Zippergate said:

No and no. Your opinions. The facts are clear.

Evidently not!
movielover
bear2034 said:

Biolabs in Ukraine, blown-up undersea gas pipelines, Biden family involvement in Ukraine. This stuff isn't just going to go away.

They successfully buried it for a while. Information overload. We heard reasoning was keep NATO / USA out of Ukraine (neutral), unite Russian people, kneecap AZOV Nazi's, and maybe grab some fertile land. I never dug into that rabbit hole. They kept Bubba protected, and they offed Epstein, the most famous, high-profile pedophile in the land.

And yes, some high-profile John's were named. A Wall Street titan, if I recall a former Congressman, a NY politician, and a few other finance guys. Maybe two weeks later Epstein 'committed suicide'.
sycasey
This "biolabs" thing is a great example of how the "facts" aren't really facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_bioweapons_conspiracy_theory

It's basically a claim thrown out by Russian state media to justify their invasion -- that the US was funding biological weapons research in Ukraine -- that then gets uncritically repeated by various "independent" Western sources who make it their business to always criticize US foreign policy whenever possible. Then later the US government "admits" that they have funded research labs in Ukraine . . . not for bioweapons research, but for standard medical research. By then, of course, the last part doesn't matter. The same sources now say (or obliquely suggest) that the US government confirmed their original story about bioweapons, even though they didn't and there is no real evidence for that.

Doesn't matter -- the original false claim has circled the moon and back before any of the truthful reporting can be done, and now it's "confirmed fact" that the US was funding bioweapons in Ukraine. This correction won't stop the claims from being repeated here again either, of course. I just find this whole system fascinating.
Cal88
sycasey said:

It's basically a claim thrown out by Russian state media to justify their invasion -- that the US was funding biological weapons research in Ukraine -- that then gets uncritically repeated by various "independent" Western sources who make it their business to always criticize US foreign policy whenever possible. Then later the US government "admits" that they have funded research labs in Ukraine . . . not for bioweapons research, but for standard medical research. By then, of course, the last part doesn't matter. The same sources now say (or obliquely suggest) that the US government confirmed their original story about bioweapons, even though they didn't and there is no real evidence for that.

Doesn't matter -- the original false claim has circled the moon and back before any of the truthful reporting can be done, and now it's "confirmed fact" that the US was funding bioweapons in Ukraine. This correction won't stop the claims from being repeated here again either, of course. I just find this whole system fascinating.

From the horse's mouth:

Greenwald on Ukrainian biolabs:

"Self-anointed "fact-checkers" in the U.S. corporate press have spent two weeks mocking as disinformation and a false conspiracy theory the claim that Ukraine has biological weapons labs, either alone or with U.S. support. They never presented any evidence for their ruling how could they possibly know? and how could they prove the negative? but nonetheless they invoked their characteristically authoritative, above-it-all tone of self-assurance and self-arrogated right to decree the truth, definitively labelling such claims false.

Claims that Ukraine currently maintains dangerous biological weapons labs came from Russia as well as China. The Chinese Foreign Ministry this month claimed: "The US has 336 labs in 30 countries under its control, including 26 in Ukraine alone." The Russian Foreign Ministry asserted that "Russia obtained documents proving that Ukrainian biological laboratories located near Russian borders worked on development of components of biological weapons." Such assertions deserve the same level of skepticism as U.S. denials: namely, none of it should be believed to be true or false absent evidence. Yet U.S. fact-checkers dutifully and reflexively sided with the U.S. Government to declare such claims "disinformation" and to mock them as QAnon conspiracy theories.

Unfortunately for this propaganda racket masquerading as neutral and high-minded fact-checking, the neocon official long in charge of U.S. policy in Ukraine testified on Monday before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and strongly suggested that such claims are, at least in part, true. Yesterday afternoon, Under Secretary of State Victoria Nuland appeared before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), hoping to debunk growing claims that there are chemical weapons labs in Ukraine, smugly asked Nuland: "Does Ukraine have chemical or biological weapons?"

Rubio undoubtedly expected a flat denial by Nuland, thus providing further "proof" that such speculation is dastardly Fake News emanating from the Kremlin, the CCP and QAnon. Instead, Nuland did something completely uncharacteristic for her, for neocons, and for senior U.S. foreign policy officials: for some reason, she told a version of the truth. Her answer visibly stunned Rubio, who as soon as he realized the damage she was doing to the U.S. messaging campaign by telling the truth interrupted her and demanded that she instead affirm that if a biological attack were to occur, everyone should be "100% sure" that it was Russia who did it. Grateful for the life raft, Nuland told Rubio he was right."
Zippergate
The very end of that clip is priceless.

Biden is a Russki
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

From the horse's mouth:

Greenwald on Ukrainian biolabs:

"Self-anointed "fact-checkers" in the U.S. corporate press have spent two weeks mocking as disinformation and a false conspiracy theory the claim that Ukraine has biological weapons labs, either alone or with U.S. support. They never presented any evidence for their ruling how could they possibly know? and how could they prove the negative? but nonetheless they invoked their characteristically authoritative, above-it-all tone of self-assurance and self-arrogated right to decree the truth, definitively labelling such claims false.

Claims that Ukraine currently maintains dangerous biological weapons labs came from Russia as well as China. The Chinese Foreign Ministry this month claimed: "The US has 336 labs in 30 countries under its control, including 26 in Ukraine alone." The Russian Foreign Ministry asserted that "Russia obtained documents proving that Ukrainian biological laboratories located near Russian borders worked on development of components of biological weapons." Such assertions deserve the same level of skepticism as U.S. denials: namely, none of it should be believed to be true or false absent evidence. Yet U.S. fact-checkers dutifully and reflexively sided with the U.S. Government to declare such claims "disinformation" and to mock them as QAnon conspiracy theories.

Unfortunately for this propaganda racket masquerading as neutral and high-minded fact-checking, the neocon official long in charge of U.S. policy in Ukraine testified on Monday before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and strongly suggested that such claims are, at least in part, true. Yesterday afternoon, Under Secretary of State Victoria Nuland appeared before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), hoping to debunk growing claims that there are chemical weapons labs in Ukraine, smugly asked Nuland: "Does Ukraine have chemical or biological weapons?"

Rubio undoubtedly expected a flat denial by Nuland, thus providing further "proof" that such speculation is dastardly Fake News emanating from the Kremlin, the CCP and QAnon. Instead, Nuland did something completely uncharacteristic for her, for neocons, and for senior U.S. foreign policy officials: for some reason, she told a version of the truth. Her answer visibly stunned Rubio, who as soon as he realized the damage she was doing to the U.S. messaging campaign by telling the truth interrupted her and demanded that she instead affirm that if a biological attack were to occur, everyone should be "100% sure" that it was Russia who did it. Grateful for the life raft, Nuland told Rubio he was right."
The clip doesn't say what Greenwald claims it does, but okay.
Zippergate
So Nuland is worried about Ukraine's cancer research labs falling into the hands of the Russians? lol
bearister
Here's a splash of Ukrainian propaganda to keep this thread….

Putin suffers BACK-TO-BACK deadliest days in Ukraine with '2,600 troops wiped out' in just 48 hours | The US Sun

https://www.the-sun.com/news/11533516/putin-deadliest-days-ukraine-troops-killed/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal88
bearister said:

Here's a splash of Ukrainian propaganda to keep this thread….

Putin suffers BACK-TO-BACK deadliest days in Ukraine with '2,600 troops wiped out' in just 48 hours | The US Sun

https://www.the-sun.com/news/11533516/putin-deadliest-days-ukraine-troops-killed/

FYI the worst day in terms of Russian KIAs the last 12 months was Feb. 21, in the thick of the battle of avdiivka, where the Russians lost 111 soldiers, according to Mediazona, the BBC project tabulating Russian losses. Those Ukrainian figures are off by a factor of 10.

As a baseline, the russians have been losing somewhere around 40-50 KIAs per day, while Ukrainian losses have been in the high hundreds daily.

https://en.zona.media/article/2022/05/20/casualties_eng

Things are getting quite serious now:

Quote:

BREAKING: NATO now planning to get US troops to the front-line to fight RUSSIA..

What are they thinking?

NATO has disclosed its preparations to deploy American troops to the European frontlines in the event of a full-scale conflict with Russia.

Innovative 'land corridors' are being established to expedite the movement of soldiers through central Europe, bypassing local bureaucratic hurdles.

This strategic setup enables NATO forces to swiftly react should Putin's aggressive actions in Ukraine extend westward.

Reports suggest that these plans also encompass provisions for potential Russian attacks.

In such scenarios, troops could mobilize through corridors in Italy, Greece, and Turkey to reach the Balkans, or alternatively, advance towards Russia's northern border via Scandinavia.

These details were shared by officials with The Telegraph.

A small contingent of French soldiers already is on the front:
https://x.com/i/birdwatch/t/1797735118314049569
blungld
Zippergate said:

sycasey said:

...Whether Russia was justified in invading is not the point....

And there it is, "whether Russia was justified in invading is not the point." Let's just add it to the list of tribal positions that must be held to regardless of facts or rationality or ethics:

It doesn't matter if Trump actually broke the law, it's the systems fault.

I don't care the the Mueller report showed many illegal acts of Trump and certainly a long list of behaviors that should at the very least be disqualifying/impeachable for a president, I am going to pretend it vindicated him and that it was all a hoax.

It doesn't matter if the GOP lies and spreads propaganda, I just want to win and I agree with what they say anyway.

It doesn't matter if there is no evidence the election was rigged, I refuse to admit Trump lost.

It doesn't matter if the economy under Biden is actually strong, I am going to pretend we are now third world.

It doesn't matter if the actions of MAGA is anti-constitutional and anti-democratic, it's my team.

It doesn't matter if a God doesn't actually exist, I just want to believe.

I don't care if we strip the rights of women, trans, and gay citizens because I just don't get it, I think it's weird, and I am not one of them.

I don't care if abortion is a fabricated wedge issue, I am going to pretend it is an important moral issue that is a center piece of my faith.

I don't care that supporting Russia/Putin is about as unAmerican as one can be, I am going to pretend it is patriotic as an act of faith in the FOX media bubble.

I don't care that 2 + 2 does not equal 5, if the Dear Leader tells me it does I will.

I don't care that I am in the minority of Americans and that Trump has dragged me down to my lowest self making me believe a false reality, attack my fellow Americans, and tear down the very Constitutional system that young men died for and I say I support, but own the Libs and I hate everyone who doesn't agree with my cult. Oh, and I am not in a cult you are!

Zippergate
You totally missed the point as expected. We don't control Russian policy. We DO control our own policy. We pursued policies that provoked the Russian invasion. Therefore, it is perfectly reasonable to blame the war on our policies. The neocons wanted this war. It's sad to see someone with ties to Ukraine so blind to this.

If the Russian invasion is your standard, what do you do with Libya, Iraq, Syria, etc? Truly, Casey was thinking of you.
sycasey
Zippergate said:

You totally missed the point as expected. We don't control Russian policy. We DO control our own policy. We pursued policies that provoked the Russian evasion. Therefore, it is perfectly reasonable to blame the war on our policies.
The last sentence does not follow from the previous. The first blame is on the country that decided to attack.

Can prior US policy be criticized? Of course. But the BLAME goes on Russia and Putin. They started the war.
Cal88
sycasey said:

Zippergate said:

You totally missed the point as expected. We don't control Russian policy. We DO control our own policy. We pursued policies that provoked the Russian evasion. Therefore, it is perfectly reasonable to blame the war on our policies.
The last sentence does not follow from the previous. The first blame is on the country that decided to attack.

Can prior US policy be criticized? Of course. But the BLAME goes on Russia and Putin. They started the war.

Most serious analysts like Mearsheimer or Sachs beg to differ, stating that the war started in 2014, due to the action of the post-Maidan Coup government.
blungld
Zippergate said:

You totally missed the point as expected. We don't control Russian policy. We DO control our own policy. We pursued policies that provoked the Russian evasion. Therefore, it is perfectly reasonable to blame the war on our policies. The neocons wanted this war. It's sad to see someone with ties to Ukraine so blind to this.

If the Russian invasion is your standard, what do you do with Libya, Iraq, Syria, etc? Truly, Casey was thinking of you.
You know what else we control? Our response and the words we say. Like words that excuse or justify Russian aggression.
Cal88
$100 million USAF Global Hawk drone allegedly disappeared over the Black Sea:

sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Zippergate said:

Most serious analysts like Mearsheimer or Sachs beg to differ, stating that the war started in 2014, due to the action of the post-Maidan Coup government.
If you mean when Russia annexed Crimea and started leading separatist militia groups in the Donbas, then I agree.
Zippergate
blungld said:

Zippergate said:

You totally missed the point as expected. We don't control Russian policy. We DO control our own policy. We pursued policies that provoked the Russian evasion. Therefore, it is perfectly reasonable to blame the war on our policies. The neocons wanted this war. It's sad to see someone with ties to Ukraine so blind to this.

You know what else we control? Our response and the words we say. Like words that excuse or justify Russian aggression.
Call me crazy but it seems to me that the way the judge a policy is by looking at the actual outcome of that policy, not the intended outcome or whether it aligns with one's cosmic view of justice. By that measure, are we "winning"? Is Ukraine "winning"? Are they better off thanks to our efforts? I'm trying unsuccessfully to think of a single neocon adventure that didn't end up as a total disaster, particularly for the countries like Ukraine we were trying to save. Perhaps you can help us out. There was a time when liberals cared about this kind of thing.

Btw, if opposing Russian aggression is the be-all-end-all arbiter US policy, we should have retaken Eastern Europe in the 50s. How inconvenient history is for you.
Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Zippergate said:

If you mean when Russia annexed Crimea and started leading separatist militia groups in the Donbas, then I agree.

Crimeans overwhelmingly wanted to join Russia, as confirmed by their referendum and several independent/western polls.

Similarly, the seperatist movement in the Donbass was an organic movement, that is why they have managed to withstand the vastly larger Kiev army for nearly a decade.
Cal88
blungld said:

Zippergate said:

What is your response to these commonplace scenes in Ukraine:
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Zippergate said:

Crimeans overwhelmingly wanted to join Russia, as confirmed by their referendum and several independent/western polls.

Similarly, the seperatist movement in the Donbass was an organic movement, that is why they have managed to withstand the vastly larger Kiev army for nearly a decade.

The separatist groups were controlled by the Russian military.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_separatist_forces_in_Ukraine
Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Zippergate said:

This opinion is brought to you by the same Wikipedia editors who will boldly claim that the Ukrainian biolabs, whose existence was confirmed by Nuland at a congressional hearing, never really existed...

Fact is, there was a lot of resentment by the Donbas fighters at the lack of support they have actually received from Russia. There were some serious rifts between the DPR/LPR leadership and the Russians. One of the top DPR leaders, Denis Pushilin, has been jailed by Russia.

As well the Russians could have easily destroyed Ukrainian forces in the early stages of the rebellion, back when the Azov types were still soccer hooligans and street gangs as opposed to well-equipped, well-trained fighters. Putin refrained from intervening directly or even indirectly in a more assertive manner, because he thought that Russia wasn't ready then for potential military repercussions or economic sanctions from the US/NATO. He instead sought a settlement through the Minsk Agreements.

The Russian leadership actually preferred having the Donbass as part of Ukraine in order to have a large pro-Russian voting block in Ukraine.

sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Zippergate said:

This opinion is brought to you by the same Wikipedia editors who will boldly claim that the Ukrainian biolabs, whose existence was confirmed by Nuland at a congressional hearing, don't really exist...
It wasn't confirmed.
Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Zippergate said:

This opinion is brought to you by the same Wikipedia editors who will boldly claim that the Ukrainian biolabs, whose existence was confirmed by Nuland at a congressional hearing, don't really exist...
It wasn't confirmed.

This is your version of dajo's insisting that Putin is dead. Just pretend that Nuland never did say that Ukraine had biolabs, and keep pushing that square peg into the round hole...
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Zippergate said:

It wasn't confirmed.

This is your version of dajo's insisting that Putin is dead. Just pretend that Nuland never did say that Ukraine had biolabs, and keep pushing that square peg into the round hole...
She definitely said they had biolabs. What has not been confirmed is if those labs were ever used to create bio-weapons, or if the US participated in funding of that. There's no evidence of that, except from Russian state media.
First Page Last Page
Page 253 of 278

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.