The Official Russian Invasion of Ukraine Thread

802,918 Views | 9692 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Cal88
AunBear89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now we have heard from the village idiot's apprentice. He tries so hard to show the other idiots how much of a moron he truly is.

Not triggered, just making an observation.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Cal88

"As Walt writes "framing [conflicts] in moral terms makes it harder to reach a peace settlement, because anything short of total victory inevitably invites a powerful backlash from critics fearing that these critical values are being sacrificed." Also "even a mutually beneficial deal with a supposedly 'evil' regime is seen as a cowardly failure to uphold key moral principles."

This is why you should generally be fearful and suspect when leaders start speak the language of "values": ironically and hypocritically it all too often precedes and enables immense human suffering."
movielover
Germany won't like this. They're being de-industrialized, invaded, and soaked x 4.

Cal88
BBC finally coming around and covering Ukraine's forced coscription problem:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cz994d6vqe5o

Conscription squads send Ukrainian men into hiding
1 day ago
By Jean Mackenzie, Reporting from Odesa, Ukraine

Quote:

Dark storm clouds threatened to upend Serhiy and Tania's beach wedding. But as the couple walked down the long white staircase to greet their guests, the empty chairs signalled there was a bigger problem. In total, half of their guests were missing.

Their family and friends sent their apologies but explained that the risk of attending had been too great. What if they had been caught by one of the conscription squads, which now roam Ukraine's streets?
With many of its soldiers dead, injured or exhausted, the Ukrainian government has stepped up its efforts to mobilise more men.

A new law, introduced in May, requires every man aged between 25 and 60 to log their details on an electronic database so they can be called up. Conscription officers are on the hunt for those avoiding the register, pushing more men who do not want to serve into hiding.

...Over the phone, the couple's friend of 15 years, Maksym, relayed such tales. Among the dead are around a dozen of his friends and acquaintances. "There are more than a million police officers in Ukraine, why should I fight when they are not?" he said.

Maksym, who has a young daughter and wife who is seven months pregnant, said he was sorry to miss the wedding but was afraid of being "grabbed" by conscription officers who he likened to "bandits".

The mobilisation squads have a fearsome reputation, especially in Odesa, for pulling people off buses and from train stations and ferrying them straight to enlistment centres.

For those avoiding the draft, public transport is now off limits. So too are restaurants, supermarkets, and weekend trips to the park to play football.

"I feel like I am in a prison," Maksym said.

movielover
movielover
Two prognosticators are now saying Russia will eventually take Kiev, the birthplace of the Russian church.
movielover
movielover
An article offering new details on the Istanbul peace deal.

It appears that early on, when Russia suffered some losses, they offered a favorable peace deal to Ukraine. Zelensky and the US subsequently smelled blood, and decided to seek more. They miscalculated, and Russia's war machine ramped up.

bneIntelliNews: Fresh evidence suggests that the April 2022 Istanbul peace deal to end the war in Ukraine was stillborn

""But Putin and Zelenskiy surprised everyone with their mutual willingness to consider far-reaching concessions to end the war. They might well surprise everyone again in the future," says the authors...."

March 10th: "... Ukraine had already conceded giving up its Nato ambitions during the Belarusian talks, enshrined in the Constitution since 2014, and returned to its neutrality stance that was previously enshrined in the Constitution."

"Ukraine's relationship with Nato played a key role in the talks. Kyiv demanded that if it gave up its Nato ambitions it wanted firm security guarantees from Nato and Russia to ensure its security something its Western partners were unwilling to agree to...."

"...The communiqu also included another "stunning" concession: it called for the two sides to seek to "peacefully resolve their dispute over Crimea" next ten to 15 years. Russia has refused point blank to talk about the status of Crimea since it was annexed in 2014."

There were details to work out: borders, guarantors, missiles and military size allowed, etc. And the USA was brought in late to discussions.

https://www.intellinews.com/fresh-evidence-suggests-that-the-april-2022-istanbul-peace-deal-to-end-the-war-in-ukraine-was-stillborn-321468/

movielover
Like Netanyahu.

Savvy.

Cal88
More of the same unfortunate events in Ukraine, middle-aged father being pried from his family on the street.

And why they have to feed the machine:
bearister
Russia accused of beheading Ukrainian soldiers

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/06/18/putin-north-korea-ukraine-kim-russia-war-latest-news/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
bearister said:

Russia accused of beheading Ukrainian soldiers

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/06/18/putin-north-korea-ukraine-kim-russia-war-latest-news/

A matter of opinion / question of taste: What's worse, beheadings or dismemberments?

(I guess it all depends on the details.)
movielover
I still don't see why they don't draft 18-26 year olds, and they allegedly have a million police officers nationwide. Route some into the military for more KIA.
Cal88
They need to prop up their war regime, that's why they keep a large contingent in the main cities. They also have thousands manning the borders with the EU to prevent men from escaping forced conscription.

The problem with NATO and Ukraine/Russia, summarized:

movielover
Ugh. Poland asking for Russia on its doorstep. Ukraine has a limited history and an illegitimate president 'leading' a corrupt state.
bear2034

Biden and the Deep State made this happen.
bear2034
Unit2 is MIA. Did he volunteer?
Cal88
bear2034 said:

Probably tired of taking a beating on this and other threads, can't blame him for bailing out.
bear2034

Ukraine to Zelensky: We want our elections back!
movielover
I've listened to several new voices (to me), and they all seem to have some similiar, tough conclusions:

Ukraine stays on the same path, and NATO / US don't negotiate a realistic peace, Putin may go all the way to the Polish border. Ukraine down to ten battalions, possibly a total of only 30-40,000 active troops? (Russia well over 750,000)

A risk of nuclear war in several spheres. Thick-headed American bureaucrats who think we can use 'tactical nukes' against Russia. Then Hezbollah shelling northern Israel, Egypt possibly enters the war, and possibly Turkey and or Iran.

And now Russia and NK kissing cousins. Will Russia hand off military technology to NK?

Disaster.
calpoly
Cal88 said:

bear2034 said:

Probably tired of taking a beating on this and other threads, can't blame him for bailing out.
Probably tired of trying to educate the idiots like you. I don't blame him, some people like you are a waste of time.
movielover
Cal88
calpoly said:

Cal88 said:

bear2034 said:

Probably tired of trying to educate the idiots like you. I don't blame him, some people like you are a waste of time.

Agreed, you trying to keep up with me on this and other subjects definitely is a waste of your time.
movielover
Ritter labels the Russia-North Korea relationship a "Game Changer" for NK, Asia, and yes, ourselves. Russian nukes & missiles in NK?

Thank you, Sullivan, Blinken, Austin, and probably HRC.

And after his trip to NK, Putin went to Vietnam. Ouch.
Big C
bear2034 said:

About six weeks ago, my brother-in-law Unit2Sucks and I, realizing that we were not making optimal use of our "free" time, agreed to compete in an "OaktownBear Challenge", in which we would see who could post on Bear Insider the least for the rest of this calendar year. So far, he is leading 0-306. Gotta hand it to the guy, he has more will power than I thought... and yet there is a lot of time remaining, so I am still somewhat confident of victory (though this post puts me further into the hole).

At least one thing I wrote above is true... maybe.
oski003
Big C said:

bear2034 said:

About six weeks ago, my brother-in-law Unit2Sucks and I, realizing that we were not making optimal use of our "free" time, agreed to compete in an "OaktownBear Challenge", in which we would see who could post on Bear Insider the least for the rest of this calendar year. So far, he is leading 0-306. Gotta hand it to the guy, he has more will power than I thought... and yet there is a lot of time remaining, so I am still somewhat confident of victory (though this post puts me further into the hole).

At least one thing I wrote above is true... maybe.

This sounds like a firehose of falsehoods.
AunBear89
Sounds like a Trump Rally.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
AunBear89
bear2034 said:

Biden and the Deep State made this happen.

I feel sorry for the Donald. He's having MAJOR FOMO when he looks at this picture.

That, and the conflicting emotions he feels as well: he wants to spoon with both of them, but doesn't want to hurt the other's feelings. .
oski003
AunBear89 said:

Sounds like a Trump Rally.

This post makes less sense than your other mostly senseless posts. I suppose your anger schtick sometimes covers your lack of wit.
AunBear89
If someone is too stupid to understand a simple post, then that's a "Them problem." Perhaps if that stupid someone reread the post I was replying to - their own post - they might get a clue.

Let's spell it out for the morons:
"This sounds like a firehose of falsehoods."
In reply "Sounds like a Trump rally."

Firehouse of falsehoods = Trump Rally

I hope that cleared things up for the pin headed.

And once again, a witless moron questioning someone else's wit would kill irony, if compassionate conservatives hadn't done so decades ago.
smh
Big C said:

bear2034 said:

right arm / farm out..
oski003
AunBear89 said:

If someone is too stupid to understand a simple post, then that's a "Them problem." Perhaps if that stupid someone reread the post I was replying to - their own post - they might get a clue.

Let's spell it out for the morons:
"This sounds like a firehose of falsehoods."
In reply "Sounds like a Trump rally."

Firehouse of falsehoods = Trump Rally

I hope that cleared things up for the pin headed.

And once again, a witless moron questioning someone else's wit would kill irony, if compassionate conservatives hadn't done so decades ago.

Darsh. Actually a firehouse of falsehoods sounds like Fauci talking about vaccines. Darsh. Actually a firehouse of falsehoods sounds like somebody defending Biden as he emptily looks into space. Darsh. Actually a firehouse of falsehoods sounds like Democrats talking about how they want to secure the border. Darsh. Actually a firehouse of falsehoods sounds like liberal NIMBYs wanting to help the homeless while voting against any development in their neighborhood. Darsh.

Anyway, I suppose you could call political rallies by both geriatric candidates a firehood of falsehoods. The reference was to U2 calling such for information and posts he disagreed with, mostly saying it was Russian disinformation. That appears to have gone over your head
AunBear89
oski003 said:

movielover
Al Jazeera: Putin says Russia may send weapons to North Korea

"His comments come after South Korea says it will consider supplying arms to Ukraine after Russia and North Korea signed a mutual defence deal.

"President Vladimir Putin said that Russia might supply weapons to North Korea in what he suggested would be a mirror response to the Western arming of Ukraine."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/6/20/putin-says-russia-may-send-weapons-to-north-korea

An active military and economic relationship would greatly aide NK and changes the dynamics in Asia.
movielover
Washington Post: Russia and North Korea's military deal formalizes a bustling arms trade

Russian trade data shows how cash-strapped Pyongyang is transporting shipping containers to munitions-hungry Moscow to help it sustain its war against Ukraine.

"Two days before the meeting, the U.S. State Department estimated that North Korea had supplied more than 11,000 containers of munitions to Russia since September...."

"...The data, obtained by the global security nonprofit C4ADS and provided to The Washington Post, covers shipments from August through January and shows that more than 74,000 metric tons of explosives were distributed from two ports in Russia's Far East to 16 sites mainly along the country's western borders near Ukraine. That weight is equal to about 1.6 million artillery shells of the type Russia has used in the war."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/06/22/russia-north-korea-military-deal-ukraine/

We should have thought outside the box and bought the shells first, early. Even paid for some of it with foodstuffs.
First Page Last Page
Page 258 of 278

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.