The Official Russian Invasion of Ukraine Thread

803,304 Views | 9692 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Cal88
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Western media won't tell you Biden has been helping Ukraine literally since Trump was raping girls with Jeffrey Epstein
"The rules were that you were not going to fact check"
MAGA
bear2034
dajo9 said:

Western media won't tell you Biden has been helping Ukraine literally since Trump was raping girls with Jeffrey Epstein

If Trump was doing that, Hillary would have told us in 2016.
bearister
tRump Teen Rape Allegation Resurfaces, Ronan Farrow Claims National Enquirer Tried to Protect Him in New Book - Newsweek

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-teen-rape-allegation-national-enquirer-ronan-farrow-jane-doe-1465652

*I assume Republicans consider Ronan Farrow a solid as the Bible source….at least that is how they viewed him when he was writing about Woody Allen.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal88
bearister said:

tRump Teen Rape Allegation Resurfaces, Ronan Farrow Claims National Enquirer Tried to Protect Him in New Book - Newsweek

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-teen-rape-allegation-national-enquirer-ronan-farrow-jane-doe-1465652

*I assume Republicans consider Rowan Farrow a solid as the Bible source….at least that is how they viewed him when he was writing about Woody Allen.

Woody Allen was Rowan Farrow's father, so he is uniquely qualified to write about Allen. Not saying there is zero substance wrt his allegations about Trump but his would just be a personal opinion.
bearister
Here is a mystery of the universe:
I spelled Ronan Farrow's name correctly throughout my post yet when you quoted my post, in the closing asterisked paragraph his name appears as Rowan Farrow.
Are we being f@ucked with by sentient AI?

Cal88
bearister said:

Here is a mystery of the universe:
I spelled Roman Farrow's name correctly throughout my post yet when you quoted my post, in the closing asterisked paragraph his name appears as Rowan Farrow.
Are we being f@ucked with by sentient AI?

hmmm...
bearister
A few gals have said tRump is a very international guy…. because he has Roman hands and Russian fingers.
Cal88
movielover
Direct war w Russia on track? Will Russia bomb neighboring airfields?

(F16s can carry nuclear weapons.)

Cal88
^Bad news, hopefully the NATO escalation is meant to gain a better negotiation position with Russia towards a settlement.

movielover
Fools. Utter, complete Fools, who can't even produce ammunition. Is this Dr. Jill Biden's doing?
Zippergate
Funny how the Russia-is-the-root-of-all-evil posters have gone quiet. Aren't you happy? This is what you wanted all along, right?
Cal88
movielover said:

Fools. Utter, complete Fools, who can't even produce ammunition. Is this Dr. Jill Biden's doing?

Blinken and Sullivan probably. they don't want Ukraine to collapse before the elections, but they don't want a big escalation either, which also wouldn't be good for the elections. As long as Ukrainian soldiers were dying quietly over there and holding the line, they were OK with that.
movielover
You were right again, brother.

Business Insider: A new US-Swedish bomb may have already been pulled from Ukraine because it's useless against Russian jamming

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-us-bomb-may-have-been-pulled-from-ukraine-vulnerable-to-jamming-2024-7

sycasey
I hope a peace deal can be negotiated soon. I also don't think there would be any chance to negotiate one if Ukraine had not gotten military help from the West. Russia would have just taken them over. I don't think that would have been a good outcome either.
movielover
Some prognosticators believe Russia could bomb airfields in Poland, Sweden, Finland if they're threatened w F16s.
Big C
movielover said:

Some prognosticators believe Russia could bomb airfields in Poland, Sweden, Finland if they're threatened w F16s.

Why you think this war is about to spread? That is not in anybody's best interests.

I have absolutely supported our efforts to help Ukraine. My hope was that Russia would back off, but if that doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. The worst scenario imaginable is if the war is not contained.
oski003
Big C said:

movielover said:

Why you think this war is about to spread? That is not in anybody's best interests.

I have absolutely supported our efforts to help Ukraine. My hope was that Russia would back off, but if that doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. The worst scenario imaginable is if the war is not contained.

Because Ukraine is using NATO personnel, airfields, weapons, money etc... it is strange to not understand that NATO is so entangled in this war that they are attacking Russia in their defense of Ukraine.
Big C
oski003 said:

Big C said:

movielover said:

Because Ukraine is using NATO personnel, airfields, weapons, money etc... it is strange to not understand that NATO is so entangled in this war that they are attacking Russia in their defense of Ukraine.

NATO has always been supporting Ukraine. The question is, have we been crossing lines that should not be crossed? I hope not and I do not think so, although I have heard the occasional rhetoric from NATO officials that makes me wonder.

Our support for Ukraine, under the condition that it is what they actually want, has been the right thing to do. And I'm not gonna lie, it has helped us in other ways, vis-a-vis our situation with Russia.
Big C
118 Days Til No Joe said:

Big C said:

oski003 said:

Big C said:

movielover said:

NATO has always been supporting Ukraine. The question is, have we been crossing lines that should not be crossed? I hope not and I do not think so, although I have heard the occasional rhetoric from NATO officials that makes me wonder.

Our support for Ukraine, under the condition that it is what they actually want, has been the right thing to do. And I'm not gonna lie, it has helped us in other ways, vis-a-vis our situation with Russia.
When you stop thinking of Ukraine naively as an ally and more accurately as a pawn, they you understand that what the leader installed by the U.S. wants and what the Ukrainian people want are not the same thing. And then you understand that we are not defending Ukraine to protect the non-existent democracy of a valued ally, but exploiting them for their natural resources for energy companies, then you start seeing the world more clearly.

Meanwhile, on the Russian/Ukraine front.

I agree about two issues that you touched on:

if we are foisting our aide on the Ukranian people through a puppet government that doesn't represent them, that is unfortunate. I'm not sure to what extent this is the case.

US geopolitical foreign policy has historically been more self-serving than humanitarian. What can I say?
bearister
……and anyone that ascribes benign motives to anything Putin does is either naive or an ally.

Putin wants to restore as much as possible of Russia's Eastern Bloc Empire. Some here may be willing to openly acknowledge that they have no problem with that.
Zippergate
Step by step to WWIII by resistless logic

Cal88
Chinese troops are training in Belarus, near the Polish border, while there are rumors of North Korean troops being deployed in Ukraine. Russia is signaling to NATO that it could mobilize its allies' substantial resources in case of a major escalation.

movielover
Big C said:

oski003 said:

Big C said:

movielover said:

1. In the spring of 2022 Zelensky and Putin agreed to peace terms in Istanbul, Turkey. We sent Boris Johnson to scuttle the deal.

Thoughts apparently then were that Russia was a paper tiger, Ukraine had fought well, and Lloyd Austin said 'we want to weaken Russia so that this never happens again'. Apparently Russia has a history of starting slowly, and then ramping up. Ukraine is getting crushed.

2. Zelensky has canceled elections.
movielover
bearister said:

……and anyone that ascribes benign motives to anything Putin does is either naive or an ally.

Putin wants to restore as much as possible of Russia's Eastern Bloc Empire. Some here may be willing to openly acknowledge that they have no problem with that.

What facts support your theory?

Colonel Douglass McGregor suggested over a year ago that Russia's strategy was to limit personnel losses, set up a meat grinder, and destroy Ukrainian forces and NATO machinery. And that appears to have held true. Wagner was dispatched, and RUS is using standoff artillery, glide bombs, and drones.

If Russia wanted to move beyond Poland, they'd probably want a bigger army than one million.

A lesser-known blogger who recently traveled through the area suggested Russia just reached its goal - annexing all Russian areas in Eastern Ukraine.

Putin again offered peace talks, which we rejected. I think Putin is beating us at chess w his alliances with North Korea and now China. Hungary is also trying to broker peace.
Cal88
^The maximum goal for Russia in terms of annexation would be the ethnic Russian and Russian-speaking 35%-40% of east and south Ukraine, including Kharkov and Odessa Putin though has signaled that he is willing to stop with the current 4 oblasts representing half that area in exchange for Ukraine staying neutral.

If the war keeps going and things keep escalating though, a march through Kiev and beyond in '25-'26 would be in the cards.

In other news, a jet fighter crashed in Poland, hard to make out the type from this footage, or to establish the reason for that crash. And a Ukrainian influencer decrying the "to the last Ukrainian" strategy forced by NATO on her people:

Edit: looks like an accident from a member of Poland's acrobatic team:
bearister
movielover said:

bearister said:

Colonel Douglass McGregor suggested over a year ago that Russia's strategy was to limit personnel losses, set up a meat grinder, and destroy Ukrainian forces and NATO machinery. And that appears to have held true. Wagner was dispatched, and RUS is using standoff artillery, glide bombs, and drones.

If Russia wanted to move beyond Poland, they'd probably want a bigger army than one million.

A lesser-known blogger who recently traveled through the area suggested Russia just reached its goal - annexing all Russian areas in Eastern Ukraine.

Putin again offered peace talks, which we rejected. I think Putin is beating us at chess w his alliances with North Korea and now China. Hungary is also trying to broker peace.

What "facts" do I have that Putin covets the old Eastern Bloc Empire? The same "facts" that you have that Putin doesn't so covet.

You and I both read articles and base our opinions on them (unless, of course, you happen to be in the field doing your own interviewing and document examination). On this board both sides simply dispute the credibility of the source of the opposing opinion.

There are dozens and dozens of articles allegedly quoting Putin's own words regarding his thoughts on the Eastern Bloc Empire. There are dozens and dozens of articles opining Col. MacGregor is a shill for tRump and Putin, as an example:

Douglas Macgregor Pushes Putin Propaganda on Tucker Carlson

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/douglas-macgregor-fox-news-tucker-carlson-russia-ukraine-1318143/

Fox News wrote a check for $787,000,000 to Dominion Voting Systems for lying. Fox News wasn't interested in writing another check so it fired its biggest liar Tucker Carlson.

I don't consider it much of a resume entry to be proud of when trying to establish your credibility that you were hand selected to work in the tRump Administration and you are one of Tucker Carlson's go to guys on all matters Russia.

*Rolling Stone was considered cutting edge journalism in the days Matt Taibbi was there trashing tRump….but now since Matt is making millions in Substack subscriptions that are being lapped up like gravy by the self proclaimed Smartest Guys in the Room, I assume Rolling Stone is viewed as corrupt mainstream media by your team, and your new allies, former Bernie Bros that are now Anti anti tRumpers and Anti Lib Populists.
Cal88
bearister said:

movielover said:

bearister said:

What "facts" do I have that Putin covets the old Eastern Bloc Empire? The same "facts" that you have that Putin doesn't so covet.

You and I both read articles and base our opinions on them (unless, of course, you happen to be in the field doing your own interviewing and document examination). On this board both sides simply dispute the credibility of the source of the opposing opinion.

There are dozens and dozens of articles allegedly quoting Putin's own words regarding his thoughts on the Eastern Bloc Empire. There are dozens and dozens of articles opining Col. MacGregor is a shill for tRump and Putin, as an example:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/douglas-macgregor-fox-news-tucker-carlson-russia-ukraine-1318143/

Fox News wrote a check for $787,000,000 to Dominion Voting Systems for lying. Fox News wasn't interested in writing another check so it fired its biggest liar Tucker Carlson.

I don't consider it much of a resume entry to be proud of when trying to establish your credibility that you were hand selected to work in the tRump Administration and you are one of Tucker Carlson's go to guys on all matters Russia.

*Rolling Stone was considered cutting edge journalism in the days Matt Taibbi was there trashing tRump….but now since Matt is making millions in Substack subscriptions that are being lapped up like gravy by the self proclaimed Smartest Guys in the Room, I assume Rolling Stone is viewed as corrupt mainstream media by your team, and your new allies, former Bernie Bros that are now Anti anti tRumpers and Anti Lib Populists.

Rolling Stone is just as trashy as Fox. That outfit and all the other center-left MSM outfits have been gaslighting their audience on everything Russia, and also driving the "Putin bad hombre" narrative, just like they wrote about Saddam being a bad hombre in the runup to the invasion of Iraq, same with Noriega, Gadhafi and Assad before the coups/invasions etc. The role of the media is to prime the public for the next target of US Forever Wars.

Mearsheimer categorically rejected the notion that Putin wants to rebuild the Soviet eastern block empire, as did many other observers.
Big C
Cal88 said:

bearister said:

movielover said:

bearister said:

Rolling Stone is just as trashy as Fox. That outfit and all the other center-left MSM outfits have been gaslighting their audience on everything Russia, and also driving the "Putin bad hombre" narrative, just like they wrote about Saddam being a bad hombre in the runup to the invasion of Iraq, same with Noriega, Gadhafi and Assad before the coups/invasions etc. The role of the media is to prime the public for the next target of US Forever Wars.

Mearsheimer categorically rejected the notion that Putin wants to rebuild the Soviet eastern block empire, as did many other observers.

Just my personal take (but it is an educated one): Putin would like to rebuild the former Soviet Union, most especially Ukraine. I don't think he ever really wanted to go westward from there (Poland, Hungary, etc.), except maybe in his dreams. So "USSR", yes; "Eastern block", no.
Big C

My educated take on what Putin wants:

- Former USSR, most especially Ukraine, yes (duh, because he is already working on that).
- Continuing westward into countries like Poland and Hungary ("Eastern block"), no, for a number of reasons.
sycasey
Big C said:

- Former USSR, most especially Ukraine, yes (duh, because he is already working on that).
- Continuing westward into countries like Poland and Hungary ("Eastern block"), no, for a number of reasons.
Though can we be confident that if he got Ukraine easily, his eye wouldn't have wandered further?

Now that Ukraine has been so difficult, no, probably not.
bearister
"Rolling Stone is just as trashy as Fox. "

To have street cred in the "We Are a Lying Sack of Sh@it Media Outlet Derby," you simply have to have written some large checks for getting caught lying. At this point only Fox News qualifies for the Blue Ribbon.

*I agree that Saddam Hussein was primarily interested in running his country like a criminal enterprise for his family (you know, like tRump) but the Republican Neocons used him as an excuse anyway to invade the region to establish their 1000 Year Pax Americana and make a few shekels in the process. It had the opposite effect. It knocked out the only counterweight to Iran's growing aspirations and turned the region into a sh@it show.
Big C
sycasey said:

Big C said:

Though can we be confident that if he got Ukraine easily, his eye wouldn't have wandered further?

Now that Ukraine has been so difficult, no, probably not.

Well, you never know for sure, but just taking the next country to the west, Poland: Russia has always had a closer bond to Ukraine: language, religion, culture, etc. Just IMO, this was more of a Greater Russia nostalgia move for Putin (economic too, sure) than it was the beginnings of another Eastern European Empire. Also, going west into NATO territory woulda been a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

I agree with the idea that Russia and China are now well aware that they won't be having carte blanche to take over a sovereign nation, for whatever reason (even if they think it "should" belong to them).
movielover
You and sycasy avoid what Putin has repeatedly demanded for at least 11 years:

1. A neutral Ukraine.

2. Given this didn't happen, and we helped plan / fund a civil war, Putin appears to be acquiring ethnically and culturally Russian areas. We'll see if he moves on Odessa.

Coincidentally or not, these areas are also the most valuable areas of Ukraine.

3. A peace deal will likely include #1. Without #1, why sign a deal?
#####

Mearsheimer and McGregor both argue that Putin doesn't want to rule hostile areas. He doesn't need the headache, land, or resources.

The Putin Haters seem oblivious to the fact that there are hardliners who make Putin look like a peacenik. I hope we don't witness their rule.

P.S. If China has soldiers in Ukraine, do we assume that Russia has or will buy weapons and ammunition from China? It appears to be another perfect match for Russia and resource-starved China.
sycasey
movielover said:

2. Given this didn't happen, and we helped plan / fund a civil war, Putin appears to be acquiring ethnically and culturally Russian areas. We'll see if he moves on Odessa.
I know this will just become another pointless conspiracy rabbit hole if I carry the discussion further, but in fact Putin helped fund a civil war in Ukraine. Mostly because Ukrainian elections didn't go the way he liked.
First Page Last Page
Page 264 of 278

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.