The Official Russian Invasion of Ukraine Thread

802,789 Views | 9692 Replies | Last: 37 min ago by Cal88
movielover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not joyful.

movielover
Paul Sperry: "TRENDING: This devastating commercial nailing Kamala over her dangerous border failures is running not only in battleground states but heavy circ on CNN during prime-time Democratic convention coverage ..."

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0yeZYaZ3k5jkyiXsWBye4c2GtRUebUWybS1XxLSB1f6ymrx3BfsvA52VYhsVvr369l&id=100029475662214&mibextid=CDWPTG
Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

Same foreign policy, same story.
Indeed, Russian foreign policy has a history. One of meddling in countries near its borders and whenever possible, trying to absorb said countries into its empire. Same story in Ukraine.

The parts of Ukraine that Russia has annexed are Russian, the Kiev government lost its legitimacy over these regions by treating its inhabitants and their culture as second-class citizens, banning their religion and suppressing their rebellion violently since 2014, and not abiding by Minsk II,

We meddle in nearly every country around the world, not just in N. America, lately conducting color revolutions, armed interventions and overthrows of governments in countries like Bangladesh, Haiti or Pakistan. 800+ bases around the world, including 12 secret bases in Ukraine and several biolabs.
Never said the US didn't meddle. Of course we do (though honestly . . . having military bases in countries that have invited us to be there doesn't really qualify). You, meanwhile, apologize for and justify whatever meddling Russia tries to do, like you just did above.

The double standard is the problem. If you held Russia to the same standard you held the US to, you'd never make the kinds of arguments you make here. I said the US was wrong to invade Iraq. You will never say that about Russia in Ukraine.

The Russian intervention was made inevitable through repeated NATO policies:
Yes, just as I said: you will never say that Russia was wrong to invade Ukraine. You will continue to blame it on someone else.

You would never do this if the US had invaded another country, not a chance.

That's laughable, in WW2 the US had every right to invade Japan and Germany.
I'm not talking about WW2, I'm talking about now.

Though on that score . . . the US was right to invade Japan and Germany because they had already invaded and attacked a lot of other places, and of course Japan had already attacked US territory directly. In the current scenario, Russia is more like Japan or Germany.

Japan was invading Burma, Germany was into Norway and Greece and everything in between in quest for their unquenchable Lebensraum. Not quite the same.
Of course it's not exactly the same, there is no literal world war going on right now. But if you wanted to pick the closest parallel in the current time, it's Russia.

The area that Russia has annexed during the war represents less than 1% of its size, adjacent to their original borders, while the areas held by Japan or Germany were around 2,500% and 500% larger than their original size, and located in far flung areas. It's not just "not exactly" the same, it's day and night.

"We're a bigger country therefore get to take more territory" is not the strong argument you think it is.

But again, your consistent defense of Russian military invasion over that of other countries is duly noted.

According to both Mearsheimer and intel director William Burns, Russia did not intend to invade Ukraine in order to conquer territory, their original goal in '22 when they went in with a force of around 175,000 was to force Ukraine to be neutral and enforce a Minsk II-type agreement, which Ukraine and its backers signed and violated.

Quote:

What about the Hungarian Uprising of 1956 and the 1968 Warsaw Pact invasion of Czechoslovakia as better analogies?

Soviet Union =/= Russia. Different ideologies and motives.

The key point here is that, unlike Hungary or CZ, the Donbas, Crimea are culturally and ethnically majority Russian, and that they have been militarily repressed by the Kiev government army for 7 years before Russia intervened.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

According to both Mearsheimer and intel director William Burns, Russia did not intend to invade Ukraine in order to conquer territory,
LOL, sure.
movielover
You don't conquer Ukraine w 175,000 men.
sycasey
Mearsheimer:
https://www.cirsd.org/en/horizons/horizons-summer-2022-issue-no.21/the-causes-and-consequences-of-the-ukraine-war
Quote:

Unsurprisingly, the Russians pursued a limited aims strategy, which focused on either capturing or threatening Kyiv and conquering a large swath of territory in eastern and southern Ukraine.
He claims that Russia didn't intend to take all of Ukraine (I find this a bit dubious, given that he also says they tried to capture Kyiv), but he definitely says they intended to conquer territory.
bearister
"Soviet Union =/= Russia. Different ideologies and motives."

So you don't think Putin gets wood when he peruses his Eastern Bloc photo albums?

Putin's Stasi spy ID pass found in Germany
The Russian president has expressed pride in his record as a communist KGB officer in Dresden in the 1980s.
His Stasi pass was found during research into the close co-operation between the KGB and Stasi.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oski003
bearister said:

So you don't think Putin gets wood when he peruses his Eastern Bloc photo albums?

The Russian president has expressed pride in his record as a communist KGB officer in Dresden in the 1980s.
His Stasi pass was found during research into the close co-operation between the KGB and Stasi.

Just like the Ukrainian soldiers get wood when they look at pictures of Adolf Hitler?
Cal88
sycasey said:

Mearsheimer:
https://www.cirsd.org/en/horizons/horizons-summer-2022-issue-no.21/the-causes-and-consequences-of-the-ukraine-war
Quote:

Unsurprisingly, the Russians pursued a limited aims strategy, which focused on either capturing or threatening Kyiv and conquering a large swath of territory in eastern and southern Ukraine.
He claims that Russia didn't intend to take all of Ukraine (I find this a bit dubious, given that he also says they tried to capture Kyiv), but he definitely says they intended to conquer territory.

Mearsheimer does not state that the goal was to annex these territories.

In fact the Istanbul Peace Treaty which was drawn 2 months into the war stipulated that Russia would withdraw from the Donbas in exchange for these provinces to gain autonomy within a looser federal structure similar to the UK or Canada. So at that point it was clear that Russia did not intend to annex these territories, they were held as a bargaining chip towards Donbas autonomy and Ukraine going neutral and reducing its military (those were the other terms of the Istanbul treaty).

Mearsheimer quote from your link:

Quote:

To make the case that Putin was bent on conquering all of Ukraine and incorporating it into Russia, it is necessary to provide evidence that first, he thought it was a desirable goal, that second, he thought it was a feasible goal, and third, he intended to pursue that goal. There is no evidence in the public record that Putin was contemplating, much less intending to put an end to Ukraine as an independent state and make it part of a greater Russia when he sent his troops into Ukraine on February 24th.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Mearsheimer:
Quote:

In fact the Istanbul Peace Treaty which was drawn 2 months into the war stipulated that Russia would withdraw from the Donbas in exchange for these provinces to gain autonomy within a looser federal structure similar to the UK or Canada. So at that point it was clear that Russia did not intend to annex these territories, they were held as a bargaining chip towards Donbas autonomy and Ukraine going neutral and reducing its military (those were the other terms of the Istanbul treaty).

Quote:

To make the case that Putin was bent on conquering all of Ukraine and incorporating it into Russia, it is necessary to provide evidence that first, he thought it was a desirable goal, that second, he thought it was a feasible goal, and third, he intended to pursue that goal. There is no evidence in the public record that Putin was contemplating, much less intending to put an end to Ukraine as an independent state and make it part of a greater Russia when he sent his troops into Ukraine on February 24th.

I mean, it says right there in a passage from the man himself that Russia intended to conquer territory in Ukraine. I suppose what they were going to do with it after that can be up for debate, but they still were trying to conquer territory. Even in the most generous interpretation this reads like a hostage-taking operation by Russia: give us what we want and we'll let the Donbas go! Great.
Cal88
bearister said:

I don't think Putin yearns for dominion over eastern Europe, his focus is on "Ruski mir", or Russian communities outside Russia, the largest of which is in Ukraine. Note as well that there is something like 10 million Ukrainians in Russia proper, about a third of which are recent wartime refugees from Ukraine.

The irony here is that Putin was the most pro-European Russian or Soviet leader since Peter the Great, he speaks fluent German and decent English (was stationed in New Zealand for a while). He was a lawyer and worked as a country/regional analyst stationed in the DDR. He was an academic type, who went on to get a doctorate in economics. He also had excellent relationships with German premiers Schroeder and Merkel, who was a fellow traveler in the Stasi. Not sure if Angela also "gets wood" looking at her old photos too.
concordtom
I'm not sure if this tweet belongs here or in a MAGA thread, so I might just double post it.

Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Mearsheimer:
Quote:

Quote:

I mean, it says right there in a passage from the man himself that Russia intended to conquer territory in Ukraine. I suppose what they were going to do with it after that can be up for debate, but they still were trying to conquer territory. Even in the most generous interpretation this reads like a hostage-taking operation by Russia: give us what we want and we'll let the Donbas go! Great.

In early 2022, Ukraine had massed over 60,000 NATO-trained troops in their fortified Donbas positions and were ready to overrun ("conquer") and wipe out the rebels in Donetsk and Luhansk. This would have been followed by a deep purge of Donbas rebels and their wide base of supporters among the population.

This is what forced Russia's hand, at least in terms of their timing, there is no way they could have let that happen.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Mearsheimer:
Quote:

Quote:

In early 2022, Ukraine had massed over 60,000 NATO-trained troops in their fortified Donbas positions and were ready to overrun ("conquer") and wipe out the rebels in Donetsk and Luhansk. This would have been followed by a deep purge of Donbas rebels and their wide base of supporters among the population.

This is what forced Russia's hand, at least in terms of their timing, there is no way they could have let that happen.
Not sure Ukraine can "conquer" territory it already held, but interesting framing from you. Ukraine's government was trying to put down a violent uprising within their own borders, therefore Russia just had to invade and take the territory. Okay.

Kind of seems like you believe that part of Ukraine already belonged to Russia anyway. Where have I heard that before?
oski003
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Mearsheimer:
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure Ukraine can "conquer" territory it already held, but interesting framing from you. Ukraine's government was trying to put down a violent uprising within their own borders, therefore Russia just had to invade and take the territory. Okay.

Kind of seems like you believe that part of Ukraine already belonged to Russia anyway. Where have I heard that before?

Just like how the Kurds must belong to the USA if we defend them from Turkish / Syrian extermination? Etc etc etc...
movielover
Do you purposefully twist his replies? He wrote:

"overrun ("conquer") and wipe out the rebels in Donetsk and Luhansk."
Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Mearsheimer:
Quote:

Quote:

The minute the Canadian government decrees that French is no longer recognized as an official language, or if in Brussels Flemish is no longer recognized, or in Madrid Basque is marginalized - Quebec Flanders and the Basque Country are no longer part of Canada, Belgium or Spain, instant rebellion.

This concept of cultural sovereignty and federalism is harder to grasp from an American perspective, but easy to understand for someone from Europe. Ukraine is the largest country in Europe, it is composed of several cultural/ethnic/linguistic minorities, the largest of which is the Russian minority which makes up the great majority of eastern and southern Ukraine.

Bottom line, Kiev forfeited its sovereignty over "that part of Ukraine", the Donbas, and Crimea the moment they tried to undermine their language, traditions, faith and cultural heritage. That is the reason the Donbas rebellion was able to withstand a 7 year civil war against the larger Kiev army.
sycasey
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Mearsheimer:
Quote:

Quote:

Just like how the Kurds must belong to the USA if we defend them from Turkish extermination? Etc etc etc...
I don't follow. The US hasn't tried to occupy any part of Turkey.
Cal88
sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Mearsheimer:
Quote:

Quote:

Just like how the Kurds must belong to the USA if we defend them from Turkish extermination? Etc etc etc...

The US occupies 1/3 of Syria, the part with the Kurds (and all the oil).
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Mearsheimer:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm gonna say the vestigial group of 900 or so troops still stationed in Syria aren't quite the same as what Russia has in Ukraine, but all right.

Another remnant of the old War on Terror, I suppose. In general I'm not a fan of the US military trying to hang around the Middle East, for the same reasons I noted earlier.
movielover
McGregor says the group in Kursk is almost a NATO group, heavy equipment taken out, and they'll be wiped out. Contingent includes Polish, UK members.

In contrast, History Legends is very complimentary about the Kursk intrusion; I've only watched half the segment but he's claiming they can push further in several directions. No fortifications, mines, etc.
Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Mearsheimer:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm gonna say the vestigial group of 900 or so troops still stationed in Syria aren't quite the same as what Russia has in Ukraine, but all right.

Another remnant of the old War on Terror, I suppose. In general I'm not a fan of the US military trying to hang around the Middle East, for the same reasons I noted earlier.

There are at least 30,000 US troops in dozens of bases are all around Syria, in Turkey, Iraq and Jordan, Saudi and the Gulf, they are the bulk of the deterrent and enforcement process over Syrian territory, not the small force stationed within Syria. If it wasn't for that, the proxy Kurdish and jihadi forces in northern Syria would have been expelled from that country a long time ago.
Cal88
movielover said:

McGregor says the group in Kursk is almost a NATO group, heavy equipment taken out, and they'll be wiped out. Contingent includes Polish, UK members.

In contrast, History Legends is very complimentary about the Kursk intrusion; I've only watched half the segment but he's claiming they can push further in several directions. No fortifications, mines, etc.

There are conflicting reports over Kursk, I suspect HistoryLegends' slant might be affected by Youtube's policy of demonetizing what they interpret as pro-Russian coverage of Ukraine.

This being said, the situation is still not clear in Kursk, with Col Davis and MacGregor stating that Ukraine has incurred over 4,000 KIAs there, and HL calling it a success for Ukraine, the fog of war will lift in September.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Mearsheimer:
Quote:

Quote:

There are at least 30,000 US troops in dozens of bases are all around Syria, in Turkey, Iraq and Jordan, Saudi and the Gulf, they are the bulk of the deterrent and enforcement process over Syrian territory, not the small force stationed within Syria. If it wasn't for that, the proxy Kurdish and jihadi forces in northern Syria would have been expelled from that country a long time ago.

Okay, deal: the US gets out of the Middle East, and Russia gets out of Ukraine.
dajo9
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Mearsheimer:
Quote:

Quote:

Okay, deal: the US gets out of the Middle East, and Russia gets out of Ukraine.

How about America out of the middle east AND we continue to help Russia trip on it's dick in Ukraine
"The rules were that you were not going to fact check"
MAGA
movielover
How about America out of the ME and Ukraine.
Cal88
movielover said:

How about America out of the ME and Ukraine.

Bingo, that would also result in Russia out of the Ukraine too, and no more war.
Cal88
movielover
movielover
New items gleaned from Colonel McGregor and Scott Ritter podcasts regarding Kursk:

Ukraine may have used new super fast [NATO] drones.

Ukraine/ NATO used AI in the Kursk intrusion, allowing them to move more quickly.

Putin allegedly now isn't interested in peace talks, and wants to correct 'Lenin's mistake'.
Cal88
movielover said:

New items gleaned from Colonel McGregor and Scott Ritter podcasts regarding Kursk:

Ukraine may have used new super fast [NATO] drones.

Ukraine/ NATO used AI in the Kursk intrusion, allowing them to move more quickly.

Putin allegedly now isn't interested in peace talks, and wants to correct 'Lenin's mistake'.

This is what he is referring to:

The Bolsheviks viewed Russian nationalism as their main internal enemy, that is why they sought to build up peripheral republics to contain it,
sycasey
So the war is about taking territory.
Zippergate
RFK JR. knocks it out the park with his commentary on the Ukraine war. I don't understand why this message is so hard for some to hear.

RFK speech - Ukraine segment
sycasey
Zippergate said:

RFK JR. knocks it out the park with his commentary on the Ukraine war. I don't understand why this message is so hard for some to hear.

RFK speech - Ukraine segment
Oh, I've heard it many times. I just don't agree.
Zippergate
It's one thing to disagree. It's another to completely ignore the arguments and knock down straw men.
First Page Last Page
Page 271 of 278

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.