Another Shooting: This Time It Was A Texas Elementary School

30,828 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by concordtom
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
82gradDLSdad said:

DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

bearister said:

I'm breaking a lot of my rules by responding on this...but this is powerful. If indeed children are training for active shooter situations to the extent that they can teach adults what to do then the final step is training teachers AND ARMING TEACHERS to be able to take out a combatant. Just training everyone to get down and keep quiet seems like only half the solution. I'm no gun nut. I own a pistol that I inherited. I've gone to my local range once and went through 30 minutes of training. Fired a few rounds and now have my pistol under my nightstand loaded but broken apart (revolver part open). If someone breaks into my house and comes up the stairs I will shout out a warning but if the intruder doesn't leave he/she will be shot. I'm well aware of the dangers, I've got plenty of law enforcement friends, but I've decided I don't just want to be a victim.

Hope you do a lot more practice shooting at the range.

When an intruder is in your home and you go to grab your gun, the adrenaline will be pumping and you'll find that the difficulty factor of using your gun just went up by 50x.

Maybe. You don't know me though so tough for you to say how I'll react. Good generalization though.

Im speaking from experience.

Hopefully you'll never be put into that position and figure out whether or not my comment was a good "generalization".
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
BearForce2
going4roses said:

Your beloved country just like you(y'all) made it

You should see what's happening in Mexico.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
82gradDLSdad
DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

bearister said:

I'm breaking a lot of my rules by responding on this...but this is powerful. If indeed children are training for active shooter situations to the extent that they can teach adults what to do then the final step is training teachers AND ARMING TEACHERS to be able to take out a combatant. Just training everyone to get down and keep quiet seems like only half the solution. I'm no gun nut. I own a pistol that I inherited. I've gone to my local range once and went through 30 minutes of training. Fired a few rounds and now have my pistol under my nightstand loaded but broken apart (revolver part open). If someone breaks into my house and comes up the stairs I will shout out a warning but if the intruder doesn't leave he/she will be shot. I'm well aware of the dangers, I've got plenty of law enforcement friends, but I've decided I don't just want to be a victim.

Hope you do a lot more practice shooting at the range.

When an intruder is in your home and you go to grab your gun, the adrenaline will be pumping and you'll find that the difficulty factor of using your gun just went up by 50x.

Maybe. You don't know me though so tough for you to say how I'll react. Good generalization though.

Im speaking from experience.

Hopefully you'll never be put into that position and figure out whether or not my comment was a good "generalization".

So practicing at a gun range prepares me for when someone knocks down my front door? I hit the target every time at the range. Hand eye coordination is the only thing I got (baseball pitcher, golfer). I practice reaching for and closing my revolver in the dark. I practice getting into position at the corner of my bed. What will going to the range do for me? Good enough?
DiabloWags
82gradDLSdad said:

I'm no gun nut. I own a pistol that I inherited. I've gone to my local range once and went through 30 minutes of training. Fired a few rounds and now have my pistol under my nightstand loaded but broken apart (revolver part open).

My bad.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out with one trip to the range.
going4roses
I am not in Mexico.
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
dimitrig
BearForce2 said:

going4roses said:

Your beloved country just like you(y'all) made it

You should see what's happening in Mexico.

That's not a list of countries, other than Canada which was dead last among those listed, that I want to be on.

So we are doing better than a bunch of corrupt South and Central American narco regimes, banana republics, and civil war ravaged nations?

That's supposed to make us feel like we've got our gun problem under control?

Why not compare us to Ukraine at the moment?

OneKeg
"Gun Homicides per 100k Guns owned" is a garbage metric intentionally chosen to make the US gun deaths look better than they are, since the US is awash in guns. So if we just get even more guns and nothing else changes, our number goes down. Garbage.

It should be per person, not per gun. The US has far more guns per person than any other country on the planet, so doing it per gun just hides how bad we have become:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_civilian_guns_per_capita_by_country

So anyway the important data is gun deaths per 100k people, not per 100k guns:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-deaths-by-country

Scroll down to see firearm-related deaths per 100k population. US is worse than every other developed country, and several times worse than most. And yes, for that statistic, we are worse than Mexico:

US: 12.21 firearm deaths per 100k people
Mexico: 7.64 firearm deaths per 100k people
(Every West European country is well below 4.)
Canada is 2.05.

US is 11th worst (i.e. 11th highest) on the list and all the countries above/worse than us are in South and Central America or the Caribbean, other than tiny Eswatini in Africa.
82gradDLSdad
DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

I'm no gun nut. I own a pistol that I inherited. I've gone to my local range once and went through 30 minutes of training. Fired a few rounds and now have my pistol under my nightstand loaded but broken apart (revolver part open).

My bad.

I don't. And you know that. But neither do you. I understand your point though.
DiabloWags
3 Dead outside a church in IOWA.

Three people dead after shooting in Iowa church parking lot (yahoo.com)
bearister
82gradDLSdad said:

DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

My bad.

Several years ago I went to an indoor pistol range in Milpitas with a neighbor that is a gun collector and firearms expert.

I got to shoot a Glock, Caliber .45, M1911and a Smith & Wesson .357 (which I preferred because I liked the light trigger pressure).

My takeaways:

1. I got some light asthma because the ventilation system wasn't dispersing the gun powder smoke efficiently;

2. A lot of people at the range didn't look trustworthy to me with regard to following gun safety rules;

3. There was a large sign where we checked in with gun safety rules and examples of conduct not to engage in on the range (I told my buddy that I assume there are dipsticks on the range breaking some of those rules. His reply, "Oh yeah").

I later told my story to a Federal marshall that worked at the Federal Building in Oakland. He told me that every time he is changing in the locker room at work that he is worried about getting shot because of sloppiness with regard to gun safety.

I'm sticking to golf.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

82gradDLSdad said:

DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

My bad.

Several years ago I went to an indoor pistol range in Milpitas with a neighbor that is a gun collector and firearms expert.

I got to shoot a Glock, Caliber .45, M1911and a Smith & Wesson .357 (which I preferred because I liked the light trigger pressure).

My takeaways:

1. I got some light asthma because the ventilation system wasn't dispersing the gun powder smoke efficiently;

2. A lot of people at the range didn't look trustworthy to me with regard to following gun safety rules;

3. There was a large sign where we checked in with gun safety rules and examples of conduct not to engage in on the range (I told my buddy that I assume there are dipsticks on the range breaking some of those rules. His reply, "Oh yeah."

I later told my story to a Federal Marshall that worked at the Federal Building in Oakland. He told me that every time he is changing in the locker room at work that he is worried about getting shot because of sloppiness with regard to gun safety.

I'm sticking to golf.

The day my DEA buddy took me to my local gun range I had to take the gun safety class before getting to shoot. My buddy listened in. The guy giving the class gave out a lot of information. At the end, in the hopes of simplifying for us newbies, he said we just had to remember these three important things. I forget the first two. He couldn't remember the third. He left it at two. My buddy laughed silently, shook his head, and told me later that it was pretty typical. I figure I'm ahead of the game...62 and haven't shot anybody...yet .
bearister
There is only one rule for the Fight Club and there is only one rule of gun safety that matters:

AT ALL TIMES TREAT EVERY WEAPON AS IF IT IS LOADED EVEN IF YOU ARE SURE IT IS UNLOADED
dimitrig
bearister said:

There is only one rule for the Fight Club and there is only one rule of gun safety that matters:

AT ALL TIMES TREAT EVERY WEAPON AS IF IT IS LOADED EVEN IF YOU ARE SURE IT IS UNLOADED

This is key. My friend has another which is never point a weapon - loaded or not - at another person unless you are prepared to kill them.

going4roses
In 94 I took a firearms course at Merritt college ( I believe it was taught by a retired alameda sheriff). My friend and I attended 3 classes two in class and one at the range up at lake chabot.

After that day he pulled us to the side and said we did not have to attend class anymore (we got B's) because our knowledge and skills were proficient.

Both out Dads were vets and taught us (12 - 13 years of age)thus we both were comfortable/knew how to reload our own ammunition. Later on my cousin and navy seal buddy made should we had the knowledge and preparation to handle ourselves properly ( prepared to survive be it rouge gang member aka cops or anyone else that posed at threat)

My interest was heightened do to my work as a promoter (age 17-24). Events ending late night with large sums of cash meant we had to be prepared.
82gradDLSdad
going4roses said:

In 94 I took a firearms course at Merritt college ( I believe it was taught by a retired alameda sheriff). My friend and I attended 3 classes two in class and one at the range up at lake chabot.

After that day he pulled us to the side and said we did not have to attend class anymore (we got B's) because our knowledge and skills were proficient.

Both out Dads were vets and taught us (12 - 13 years of age)thus we both were comfortable/knew how to reload our own ammunition. Later on my cousin and navy seal buddy made should we had the knowledge and preparation to handle ourselves properly ( prepared to survive be it rouge gang member aka cops or anyone else that posed at threat)

My interest was heightened do to my work as a promoter (age 17-24). Events ending late night with large sums of cash meant we had to be prepared.

This is your best post.
82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

I have only ever had one weapon and it is always loaded. Easy rule for me to remember
82gradDLSdad
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

This is key. My friend has another which is never point a weapon - loaded or not - at another person unless you are prepared to kill them.

You know it. My pistol only has one use.
bearister
Your comment about the Navy SEAL brought to mind the Chris Kyle, American Sniper, story.

Explain how Chris Kyle and his buddy let a former Marine with PTSD execute them at a firing range, especially after this happened in the car ride on the way to the range (the killer was behind them in the backseat):

" On the way to the shooting range, Kyle texted Littlefield, "This dude is straight-up nuts." Littlefield responded, "Watch my six", military slang meaning "watch my back." Wikipedia

They got sloppy that day? He was nuttier than Chris Kyle's assessment?
okaydo

okaydo
Guns, it turns out, are valuable.

bearister
It looks like unless you shoulder your AR-15 24/7, it ain't gonna save you.

PICTURED: Grandfather and four grandkids killed by prison escapee

https://mol.im/a/10882981
okaydo

dajo9
Since we're sharing stories. I've only ever held a gun on two occasions.

1- As a teen, a kid in my neighborhood told me he had a gun on him. I asked to hold it. He said sure but took out the bullets first. I said, "you keep it loaded?". He said "of course I do. What am I gonna do if a bunch of n*gg**s drive up here and I've got an unloaded gun".

2 - On a work trip I stayed the night at friend's of my wife. The husband and I got drunk in the basement. At some point he opened up his gun safe and showed me his collection of handguns, shotguns, and an AR-15.

I bet my experiences are more common than all your stories of gun safety.
bearister

The gun lobby's growing divide

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/04/gun-control-nra-red-flag-laws

"The National Rifle Association, the nation's leading but weakened gun rights organization, says a federal law to stop potentially dangerous people from obtaining weapons should be a non-starter. But the National Sports Shooting Foundation, the industry trade group that's a rising lobbying force, says it thinks there's a deal to be made."
going4roses
going4roses
going4roses said:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTdcYBEJc/?k=1

Are the Police really trying to go after this woman ?
Your kidding me
Damn
going4roses
bearister
bearister
dimitrig
bearister said:

All of the schools I attended had classrooms whose doors led directly to the outside. This is pretty common in Southern California. Strangely, none of those schools ever got shot up by a gun-toting wacko - and if there had been a gun-toting wacko being able to easily escape seems like a good thing. Maybe the problem is not enough doors.

Unit2Sucks
Don't worry guys, the NRA is going to protect schools because they care about kids.

Eastern Oregon Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

Don't worry guys, the NRA is going to protect schools because they care about kids.

A buck per school can go a long way.
going4roses
Geez
BearForce2
bearister said:

It looks like unless you shoulder your AR-15 24/7, it ain't gonna save you.

PICTURED: Grandfather and four grandkids killed by prison escapee

https://mol.im/a/10882981

Sometimes, having an AR-15 around does help.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
going4roses
Your bosom buddy

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.