What's your guys opinion on the Nord Stream explosion?

23,600 Views | 305 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by movielover
76BearsFly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This whole affair seems like one of those stupid, mindless but addicting, spy thrillers I likeā€¦ life imitates art?
DiabloWags
concordtom said:

I read that both Nord stream one and two each consist of two pipelines and that one of them is still functioning.

As to who did it, I have no idea.

Bingo.
Both Nord Stream pipelines #1 and #2 consist of two pipelines.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
DiabloWags
MinotStateBeav said:

DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Your intelligence truly knows no bounds.

Says the guy that graduated from Minot State.

Let me guess . . . .you cant comprehend a "stunt" by the Russians that left one of the two Nord Stream 2 pipelines undamaged, leaving Putin the possibility of using it as leverage if the winter turns particularly cold?

Uhh both 1 and 2 were damaged genius. Maybe you should go to Minot State.

Apparently basic READING comprehension is not required at Minot State.

Single line of Nord Stream 2 can still export gas, analysts say | Reuters
MinotStateBeav
DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Let me guess . . . .you cant comprehend a "stunt" by the Russians that left one of the two Nord Stream 2 pipelines undamaged, leaving Putin the possibility of using it as leverage if the winter turns particularly cold?

Yes, apparently
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/sweden-reports-leaks-on-nord-stream-1-shortly-after-damage-found-on-nord-stream-2/ar-AA12hLny
DiabloWags
Not really.

Cal88
BearGoggles said:

OK - I came here looking for this thread because I was very curious how the folks here would break it down.

I think there is one obvious party that no one is discussing (both here and in the articles I'm seeing) that had opportunity and motive. Poland.

Here are my thoughts:

Russia/Putinists - I suppose its possible, but I really don't see them taking from Putin the one thing he has that gives him leverage. But maybe he's doing it to cement position? Are the pipelines insured . . . maybe it is a money play for business interruption $$ when he isn't otherwise selling pipeline gas?

Russian Anti-Putinists - could be an effort to destabilize Putin. This seems possible . . .

USA - I don't think Biden and his cronies have the balls to do something like this (but see Poland below). It would be an incredible escalation for the US to be directly tied to this. And, as others have noted, if the US did this and word got out, all of Europe AND Russia would be enraged. I don't think the US would be willing to risk this.

Ukraine - Not sure if they have the capability to do this - maybe? Even if they do, I can't see them directly doing this and alienating European countries.

Private militia/mercenaries - Maybe? Funded by oil interests or anti-Putin oligarchs? Seems unlikely, but can't be discounted.

Poland - Poland is a staunch supporter of Ukraine, they hate the Russian regime and are fearful Russia would try to take Poland if they succeed in Ukraine. Poland must be thrilled to see Putin damaged by the nord stream explosions and his huge loss of leverage (at least in the short run).

Nord Stream was constructed to bypass Ukraine and Poland (economic loss to those countries). The new Norway-Poland pipeline is opening which means: (i) Poland will have independent sources of gas and no longer be reliant on Russia; (ii) Poland stands to make money from the new pipeline - by exporting to other European countries; and (iii) they'd be very happy to see the competition (nord stream) eliminated. And unlike the US and Ukraine, I don't think Poland cares too much if the rest of Europe (particularly Germany) suffers in the short run.

Poland has a VERY competent professional military, particularly special forces. They have had a longstanding close military and intelligence relationship with the USA (CIA black sites). They absolutely would have the ability to blow up those pipelines with the actual explosions being . . . very close to Poland.

So I think it was Poland. Did you notice that they immediately announced their "shock" and puzzlement? Yeah sure.

An interesting question is whether Poland acted with the knowledge and possible clandestine assistance of the USA (i.e., CIA). I absolutely could see that, though I think Poland could and would do it without USA's involvement.

What did I get wrong?

Poland doesn't have the means or technical know-how, they are primarily a land power, and a small one at that. There are only a small handful of countries with deep water drones/UUVs that would be capable of doing such a thorough job, blowing up a pipeline with 4 inches of steel encased in 4 inches of concrete in several places, and Poland isn't one of them. The US, Russia and maybe the UK were the only countries with the means to do this.

Poland and other small countries like Denmark who are in close proximity of the scene of the crime were probably warned of the operation, at least at a high level, that's why Sikorsky tweeted right away his "Thank you USA" message right after the deed.
joe amos yaks
concordtom said:

I read that both Nord stream one and two each consist of two pipelines and that one of them is still functioning.
As to who did it, I have no idea.

A comment from MofA about the turbine, speculating on why the Russian NS1 contractors and government wouldn't install the part without the paperwork. [*BALTOPS is recent NATO exercise in the Baltic].
"...looks as if blowing up NS1 and NS2 was Plan B played until BALTOPS was underway...
Since Russia refused to re-import the CTA65 Siemens turbine which Canada thoughtfully re-routed to Germany -- no doubt fearing sabotage of the software control system.
Siemens process controllers were afflicted by Stuxnet in Iran and created quite a few problems in Russia when it went wild ...
Clearly Canada thought to implicate Germany and Siemens in the sabotage by re-routing it via Germany
Russia did not bite into the poisoned apple so other means had to be found to destroy the gas transit route..."
Posted: -PG

"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
dimitrig
DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

I wonder if that was part of the plan or if instead one of the explosives did not detonate.

I am guessing the latter, because destroying just 3 of the 4 pipes makes no sense unless Russia is behind this after all.

Unit2Sucks
As long as we are sharing baseless speculation, perhaps someone wanted to get NS2 up and running by taking out NS1. I suspect everything will be operational sooner than people are fearing.

It could be Putin or someone else.

Quote:

Putin tells Europe: if you want gas then open Nord Stream 2

SAMARKAND, Uzbekistan, Sept 16 (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin on Friday denied Russia had anything to do with Europe's energy crisis, saying that if the European Union wanted more gas it should lift sanctions preventing the opening of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline.

The bottom line is, if you have an urge, if it's so hard for you, just lift the sanctions on Nord Stream 2, which is 55 billion cubic metres of gas per year, just push the button and everything will get going," Putin said.

Nord Stream 2, which lays on the bed of the Baltic Sea almost in parallel to Nord Stream 1, was built a year ago, but Germany decided not to proceed with it just days before Russia sent its troops into Ukraine on Feb. 24.

DiabloWags
dimitrig said:

DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

I wonder if that was part of the plan or if instead one of the explosives did not detonate.

I am guessing the latter, because destroying just 3 of the 4 pipes makes no sense unless Russia is behind this after all.

Ding!
Ding!
Ding!
cbbass1
From OT:

Quote:

golden sloth said:

Yea, you make a lot of baseless claims. The US did not blow up nord stream, the US did not blow up a peace deal between Russia and Ukraine, the US does not want a nuclear war.

Please take off the tinfoil hat and stop spouting garbage.
Baseless claims?

Look, I don't expect you to read any evidence that I provide for the claims that I make, but in this case, since you're accusing me of making "baseless" claims, I encourage you to not only read the following articles, but also click on the links within, and check the sourcing to your heart's content.

Boris Johnson Pressured Zelenskyy to Ditch Peace Talks With Russia: Ukrainian Paper

Diplomacy Watch: Did Boris Johnson help stop a peace deal in Ukraine?

Possibility of talks between Zelenskyy and Putin came to a halt after Johnson's visit - UP sources

From Zelenskyy's "surrender" to Putin's surrender: how the negotiations with Russia are going

Of course, these articles don't fit the "we're the good guys" corporate news narrative, so you probably haven't seen or heard any of this.

The Sabotage of Nordstream 1 & 2

First, some background. In mid-to-late September, several German officials are saying that Germany "can't refuse gas from Russia." Even though Germany had already nationalized their LNG importing company (which had to throw a few Neoliberals into a tizzy), they were realizing that their nation was already using too much natural gas. The unspoken implication is that Germany will need to violate U.S. sanctions this winter, and get Russian natural gas from Nordstream 1, to keep from both freezing their asses off AND going bankrupt.

In Germany, they admitted that they can not refuse gas from Russia

Please keep in mind that the Euro and the EU economy are on shaky ground as it is. Germany and the EU simply can't afford to pay 5x to U.S. suppliers for natural gas. Clearly, Germany wants an immediate end to the hostilities in Ukraine, and an end to the sanctions ASAP.

I haven't heard about any public discussions between Germany and the U.S. or other NATO countries, but Germany & it's EU neighbors are needing a peace deal NOW so they can go back to buying Russian gas. I can only imagine what the private conversations were like, especially after Boris Johnson's flight to Kyiv (see above). Germany & other EU/NATO countries are ready to be done, ready to send the Ukrainian refugees home for the winter, and ready to ride out their economic collapse in a warm place, with Russian gas. But the U.S. is clear that it wants the war to continue through the winter. It's a proxy war. And one that the U.S. plans to win at all costs.

So 2 days after PM Kretschmer (Saxony) declares that "We Need Russian Gas" in public, on the record, both Nordstream 1 AND Nordstream 2 get hit.

This was an operation that required skill, coordination, and expertise in underwater demolition. Both pipelines are encased in reinforced concrete, so that anchors & submarines don't cause ruptures. There are not many teams in the world capable of doing this.

So who dunnit? Cui bono?

Given that Germany had just declared its need for Russian natural gas this winter -- as if to say, "Sorry, Joe, but we're NOT gonna freeze our butts off," it's clear that Russia had zero motive to sabotage its own pipelines. With the pipeline damage, not only does Russia miss out on huge sanction-breaking sales of natural gas, but it also misses out on the opportunity to create (or expand) fissures in the NATO/EU alliance. There is zero chance that Putin misses out on both of these huge opportunities by destroying his own (well, Gazprom's) pipeline.

This is why Fatih Birol, Exec Dir of the International Energy Agency, said it was "very obvious" who was behind the sabotage. Because everyone outside of the U.S. media bubble understands what I just laid out here. And Birol knows that if he actually accuses the U.S. specifically, he'll suffer the consequences.

To add to the unspoken accusations, Germany is basically saying, "Keep a close watch on all your energy infrastructure, because these American warmongers will stop at nothing to keep the war and the sanctions going, and the American oil & gas companies will exploit any & every opportunity."

Germany Warns Key Infrastructure At Risk After Russia Pipeline 'Sabotage'

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put 2 & 2 together. Joe is committed to keeping Russian gas from going to Germany, through Russia's pipeline and Germany's terminal! The reporter even asks, "It's not your pipeline! How are you going to stop the gas??" [paraphrasing].

Video of Biden Saying He'd 'End' Nord Stream Resurfaces After Pipeline Leak

Killing the Nordstream pipelines saves the Biden admin and the U.S. from the embarrassment of Germany's defection from the sanctions.

Just think about how popular the U.S. will be in Europe this winter, as Europeans pay top USD for what little gas & heat they can afford. Mind you, this is after the U.S. Fed's War on Inflation and Working People, and the aggressive raising of interest rates, has brought the Euro down 20% against the USD over the last year.

Like I said, the rest of the world already sees this, but if you're in the U.S. corporate news bubble, it'll always be someone else's fault, probably Putin.

"Good guys" don't do this.

Unit2Sucks
If we've learned anything from this war it's that Russia isn't a world power and is no threat to the US. They may still be a nuclear threat to the world (which includes the US) but that may also be overblown. Obama was absolutely right in 2014 when he said Russia was a regional power and that Putin was acting out of weakness. It's as true today as it was back then.

Putin's biggest mistake was letting the world figure out who he really is rather than who he pretended to be.

As for who blew up the pipelines, I doubt it was the US because it's not that important to us and the downside if caught is meaningful - a further erosion of our reputation. I understand why people who support Russia and other anti-US people would accuse the US - it's an easy accusation to make.
MinotStateBeav
Unit2Sucks said:

As for who blew up the pipelines, I doubt it was the US because it's not that important to us and the downside if caught is meaningful - a further erosion of our reputation. I understand why people who support Russia and other anti-US people would accuse the US - it's an easy accusation to make.
Do you know the US was going to use an empty jet during the cuban missile crisis and blow it up to blame Cuba and start a war there? Do you know that Edward Snowden uncovered the US governments illegal spying on its own citizens? We fought an unauthorized war in Vietnam, We used "Weapons of Mass Destruction" lies to start a war in Iraq. If you think our government is beyond doing this, you're hopeless.
AunBear89
MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Do you know the US was going to use an empty jet during the cuban missile crisis and blow it up to blame Cuba and start a war there? Do you know that Edward Snowden uncovered the US governments illegal spying on its own citizens? We fought an unauthorized war in Vietnam, We used "Weapons of Mass Destruction" lies to start a war in Iraq. If you think our government is beyond doing this, you're hopeless.

Anyone want to inform or resident "MENSA" that all those things were hatched by Republicans?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Unit2Sucks
MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

You think Joe Biden has dementia but is secretly pulling the strings of a complicated new world order but I appreciate your theatrics.

I never said the US wasn't capable of doing bad things. We clearly are. But, except when Trump is involved, we typically have reasons for doing what we do and consider consequences. I don't see the upside for the US in sabotaging those pipelines. The downside if caught is quite large.
MinotStateBeav
Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

You think Joe Biden has dementia but is secretly pulling the strings of a complicated new world order but I appreciate your theatrics.

I never said the US wasn't capable of doing bad things. We clearly are. But, except when Trump is involved, we typically have reasons for doing what we do and consider consequences. I don't see the upside for the US in sabotaging those pipelines. The downside if caught is quite large.
Only simpletons think Biden is running anything.

Let me start with two words, MADE IN AMERICA.
dimitrig
MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Covfefe

MinotStateBeav
dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Covfefe

Inflation is so bad, 2 words now cost 3.
Unit2Sucks
MinotStateBeav said:

dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Covfefe

Leave it to Minot to screw up the punchline. Biden is so great he delivers 3 words for the price of 2.

I love that you think Joe Biden is responsible for inflation. I guarantee if Trump has managed to steal the election like you wanted he would be blaming Jerome Powell right now, even though he appointed JP.

Too bad your dumb leader didn't stick with Yellen - she might not have made the same mistakes but Trump doesn't trust women and thought JP was "straight out of central casting" lol.
MinotStateBeav
Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Covfefe

Leave it to Minot to screw up the punchline. Biden is so great he delivers 3 words for the price of 2.

I love that you think Joe Biden is responsible for inflation. I guarantee if Trump has managed to steal the election like you wanted he would be blaming Jerome Powell right now, even though he appointed JP.

Too bad your dumb leader didn't stick with Yellen - she might not have made the same mistakes but Trump doesn't trust women and thought JP was "straight out of central casting" lol.
I didn't screw up the punch line. Read slower next time. How do you think his administration isn't responsible for inflation? He's dumped billions into Ukraine, and a trillion on social programs. You must think printing money doesn't cause inflation lol.
DiabloWags
MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Covfefe

I didn't screw up the punch line. Read slower next time. How do you think his administration isn't responsible for inflation? He's dumped billions into Ukraine, and a trillion on social programs. You must think printing money doesn't cause inflation lol.

Your command of basic economic concepts is extremely poor. I've observed this time and time again by you with your posts here.

The Federal Reserve increased M2 by an unprecedented 40% from March 2020 to December 2021. And on top of that, the FED failed to recognize inflation coming back last year and their Chairman simply dismissed it as "transitory".

That's on Chairman Jerome Powell,who just so happens to be a Trump appointee. No one else.

Youre just not very well informed.
And its clear you dont even bother reading the WSJ.

PS. Trump didnt want to reappoint Janet Yellen. He said that Yellen was too short. Hence, Unit2's central "casting" comment.

MinotStateBeav
DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Covfefe

Your command of basic economic concepts is extremely poor. I've observed this time and time again by you with your posts here.

The Federal Reserve increased M2 by an unprecedented 40% from March 2020 to December 2021. That's on Chairman Jerome Powell, who just so happens to be a Trump appointee.

Jerome Powell was kept by the dementia'd one.

I've posted this once and I'll do it again..
cbbass1
AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Anyone want to inform or resident "MENSA" that all those things were hatched by Republicans?
And approved by Democrats, who were afraid of being "soft on Communism."
AunBear89
Thanks for playing "Completely Miss the Point"
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
cbbass1
MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Don't forget torture, killing journalists, selling cocaine to fund the Contras, overthrowing democratically-elected leaders throughout the world, and installing Neoliberal puppets in their place.

That's our reputation.
cbbass1
Big C said:

Greenpeace? Antifa? Yogi?
Bueller?
DiabloWags
MinotStateBeav said:

DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Covfefe

The Federal Reserve increased M2 by an unprecedented 40% from March 2020 to December 2021. That's on Chairman Jerome Powell, who just so happens to be a Trump appointee.

Yes, Biden kept Powell as Fed Chairman.

But it didnt matter because INFLATION was already roaring far above the 2% rate that Powell had targeted per the Fed's mandate when it came around for Powell's second appointment in late November of 2021. (CPI: 6.8%)
At that time, Powell was still singing the tune of "transitory" inflation and didnt flip until the following month.

Let's be honest, your knowledge base when it comes to basic Economics is terribly poor.

It's why you continue to claim that Biden sending a total of $17.5 Billion of aid to Ukraine causes inflation.
A whopping $17.5 Billion when M2 money supply is currently at 21711.4 Billion as of August.

Your claims are absurd.

Is this what the pundits on Faux News have been telling you?

United States Money Supply M2 - September 2022 Data - 1959-2021 Historical (tradingeconomics.com)

oski003
DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Covfefe

But it didnt matter because INFLATION was already roaring far above the 2% rate that Powell had targeted per the Fed's mandate when it came around for Powell's second appointment in late November of 2021. (CPI: 6.8%)
At that time, Powell was still singing the tune of "transitory" inflation and didnt flip until the following month.

Let's be honest, your knowledge base when it comes to basic Economics is terribly poor.

It's why you continue to claim that Biden sending a total of $17.5 Billion of aid to Ukraine causes inflation.
A whopping $17.5 Billion when M2 money supply is currently at 21711.4 Billion as of August.

Your claims are absurd.

Is this what the pundits on Faux News have been telling you?

United States Money Supply M2 - September 2022 Data - 1959-2021 Historical (tradingeconomics.com)

Why reappoint someone wrongly singing the tune of transitory inflation? Is it because Biden was also singing the tune of transitory inflation?
DiabloWags

When someone claims that a country that generates $25 Trillion in GDP causes inflation by sending $17.5 Billion in aid to Ukraine . . .

Wow!
You just cant make this stuff up.

MinotStateBeav
DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Covfefe

But it didnt matter because INFLATION was already roaring far above the 2% rate

Anything around 2% is generally considered healthy inflation. Can you tell me what the inflation rate is now? Oh I just checked..its 8.3% that must mean we're 4x as healthy now right lol. The highest it got under Trump was about 2.5%.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/inflation-cpi
MinotStateBeav
Came across this today....thought it was fantastic. Baker posts the costs of ingredients

dimitrig

I don't know about where this bakery is but eggs have not doubled in price.

DiabloWags
Avian Flu must be Biden's fault.
I saw it on Faux News.

Rainbow sprinkles making new highs too!

https://www.bakingbusiness.com/articles/57475-egg-prices-surge-to-another-record-high
MinotStateBeav
dimitrig said:

I don't know about where this bakery is but eggs have not doubled in price.

It's 30 lbs of liquid eggs.
oski003
DiabloWags said:

Avian Flu must be Biden's fault.
I saw it on Faux News.

Rainbow sprinkles making new highs too!

https://www.bakingbusiness.com/articles/57475-egg-prices-surge-to-another-record-high

Not Biden's fault. He told the chickens to get vaxxed the day before the hurricane hit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.