What's your guys opinion on the Nord Stream explosion?

23,583 Views | 305 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by movielover
cbbass1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Back to the Nordstream sabotage --

In the coming weeks, keep your eyes on European protests against the Russian sanctions, especially in Germany.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=protest+against+sanctions+in+europe&sp=CAI%253D

As I said before, there was (and is) a strong movement in Germany to dump the sanctions against Russia, and resume gas deliveries through the Nordstream pipelines.

Elected German politicians are not free to express their desire for an end to the conflict, and an end to the sanctions. But talking to people on the street, especially in Europe's working classes, who are hit the hardest by the sanctions (and huge increases in energy costs), there's far less patience for the U.S. desire to prolong the conflict, and engage in a proxy war at Europe's expense.

The U.S. narrative has been that Russia is close to collapse, urging Europe, "Just a little bit longer -- we're almost there... Victory is just around the corner..."

The reality is that the NATO/Europe coalition is in for a brutal winter without Russian gas. The EU might not survive, economically.

It's clear that the U.S. had everything to gain by sabotaging the Nordstream pipelines between Germany & Russia. Germany was going to violate the sanctions before people started dying of hypothermia.

It's only a short-term gain, though. Russia isn't anywhere near as close to collapse, nor as desperate, as U.S. media is portraying. In the long run, the U.S. proves that its goal of "regime change" in Russia is all that it cares about, and it doesn't give a rat's rear about anyone's economic hardship or freezing to death, either in Europe or the U.S., or anywhere.

Expect markets in Europe & the U.S. to continue to tank, as businesses in Europe are forced to close due to extreme energy costs, and price gouging by U.S. LNG suppliers.

golden sloth
cbbass1 said:

Back to the Nordstream sabotage --

In the coming weeks, keep your eyes on European protests against the Russian sanctions, especially in Germany.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=protest+against+sanctions+in+europe&sp=CAI%253D

As I said before, there was (and is) a strong movement in Germany to dump the sanctions against Russia, and resume gas deliveries through the Nordstream pipelines.

Elected German politicians are not free to express their desire for an end to the conflict, and an end to the sanctions. But talking to people on the street, especially in Europe's working classes, who are hit the hardest by the sanctions (and huge increases in energy costs), there's far less patience for the U.S. desire to prolong the conflict, and engage in a proxy war at Europe's expense.

The U.S. narrative has been that Russia is close to collapse, urging Europe, "Just a little bit longer -- we're almost there... Victory is just around the corner..."

The reality is that the NATO/Europe coalition is in for a brutal winter without Russian gas. The EU might not survive, economically.

It's clear that the U.S. had everything to gain by sabotaging the Nordstream pipelines between Germany & Russia. Germany was going to violate the sanctions before people started dying of hypothermia.

It's only a short-term gain, though. Russia isn't anywhere near as close to collapse, nor as desperate, as U.S. media is portraying. In the long run, the U.S. proves that its goal of "regime change" in Russia is all that it cares about, and it doesn't give a rat's rear about anyone's economic hardship or freezing to death, either in Europe or the U.S., or anywhere.

Expect markets in Europe & the U.S. to continue to tank, as businesses in Europe are forced to close due to extreme energy costs, and price gouging by U.S. LNG suppliers.

Just because you had everything to gain, does not mean you committed the crime. That is dumb logic.

Furthermore, I would like to reiterate that the US did not coax Russia into invading Ukraine so they would have the opportunity for regime change in Russia. Russia chose to invade Ukraine because they wanted to believe Ukraine doesn't have a right to exist and they wanted their land.

I'd also like to point out that the USA is not even Ukraine's most fervent supporter of Ukraine. That would be Poland, and the Baltic states. The countries that were under Soviet occupation 30 years ago, saw the inner workings of the Russian/Soviet system and want nothing to do with it. Poland and the Baltic states need Russia to lose in Ukraine as they are very afraid of being invaded next.
BearGoggles
AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

As for who blew up the pipelines, I doubt it was the US because it's not that important to us and the downside if caught is meaningful - a further erosion of our reputation. I understand why people who support Russia and other anti-US people would accuse the US - it's an easy accusation to make.
Do you know the US was going to use an empty jet during the cuban missile crisis and blow it up to blame Cuba and start a war there? Do you know that Edward Snowden uncovered the US governments illegal spying on its own citizens? We fought an unauthorized war in Vietnam, We used "Weapons of Mass Destruction" lies to start a war in Iraq. If you think our government is beyond doing this, you're hopeless.

Anyone want to inform or resident "MENSA" that all those things were hatched by Republicans?
I spoke to a member of Mensa and he reported to me that John Kennedy was both a democrat and president during the Cuban missile crisis. That same person told me that both Kennedy and Johnson (again, both reportedly Democrats) were responsible for the US's escalating involvement in Vietnam. A war that continued under Nixon, who escalated further and then ended it.

I do grant you that today, John Kennedy's positions and policies would certainly make him a republican today.
BearGoggles
Back to topic.

I was in a very random social setting this weekend (not at Boston Market). I happened to be seated at a table with a person who I had never met before and, unbeknownst to me, is a major operator in the Washington DC foreign policy world. Not a politician/diplomat, but someone who absolutely is a Washington insider.

We were chatting about jobs and he gave me a general description of what he did. Before I fully understood who he was, I point blank asked him what he thought happened to the pipelines. His view was that it was the US perhaps acting through a proxy. He felt it was, in large part, designed to lock in the European countries and their populations who would soon be clamoring for gas. He also felt that it was very damaging to Putin (i.e., Putin would never blow up his own pipeline).

To be clear, based on what I subsequently learned when I googled his name, this person probably is not directly privy to secret information or intelligence. But he absolutely would be directly in the social/business circle with people who are and his career is entirely predicated on operating in that world. So his opinion would be colored by pretty solid information (but he claimed no first hand knowledge).

On a related note, it is interesting to me how so many in the US (and by extension on this board) are conditioned to unquestionably blame everything on Russia. It is possible that Putin blew up the pipeline, but no one has offered me a convincing explanation as to why that is clearly (or even most likely) the case.

sycasey
BearGoggles said:

On a related note, it is interesting to me how so many in the US (and by extension on this board) are conditioned to unquestionably blame everything on Russia.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to blame Russia for things that happen in this war!

Anyway, I still don't know who actually sabotaged this pipeline. Part of the issue is that I don't think governments on either side have a great reason to do it. Maybe it was some third party rogue actor. I dunno.
DiabloWags
BearGoggles said:

Back to topic.

We were chatting about jobs and he gave me a general description of what he did. Before I fully understood who he was, I point blank asked him what he thought happened to the pipelines. His view was that it was the US perhaps acting through a proxy. He felt it was, in large part, designed to lock in the European countries and their populations who would soon be clamoring for gas. He also felt that it was very damaging to Putin (i.e., Putin would never blow up his own pipeline).

"Lock in" the EU and Germany to what exactly?

France gets 70% of their power from nuclear.

Germany is under pressure to acquire NG from other "sources" (and has been doing so), including the U.A.E. but it wont come fast enough.

Germany currently has their NG storage at 85%, but that will only give them 2.5 months of supply at current demand. Their economy will most likely face one of the biggest contractions since post WW-II next year.

Kind of strange that the U.S. would "backstab" one of its greatest NATO partners by blowing up a pipeline (that wasnt in service by the way) because someone wants the E.U. to "lock in".

Lock-in to what exactly?

LNG from the U.S.?

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
AunBear89
BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

As for who blew up the pipelines, I doubt it was the US because it's not that important to us and the downside if caught is meaningful - a further erosion of our reputation. I understand why people who support Russia and other anti-US people would accuse the US - it's an easy accusation to make.
Do you know the US was going to use an empty jet during the cuban missile crisis and blow it up to blame Cuba and start a war there? Do you know that Edward Snowden uncovered the US governments illegal spying on its own citizens? We fought an unauthorized war in Vietnam, We used "Weapons of Mass Destruction" lies to start a war in Iraq. If you think our government is beyond doing this, you're hopeless.

Anyone want to inform or resident "MENSA" that all those things were hatched by Republicans?
I spoke to a member of Mensa and he reported to me that John Kennedy was both a democrat and president during the Cuban missile crisis. That same person told me that both Kennedy and Johnson (again, both reportedly Democrats) were responsible for the US's escalating involvement in Vietnam. A war that continued under Nixon, who escalated further and then ended it.

I do grant you that today, John Kennedy's positions and policies would certainly make him a republican today.

Did your Mensa buddy point out that Robert McNamara, the Secretary of Defense for both Kennedy and Johnson, and the man who came up with all the Cuban nonsense and the escalation in Nam, was a Republican until Watergate made him switch parties? I guess the lies and hypocrisy became too much for even him.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
cbbass1
AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Did your Mensa buddy point out that Robert McNamara, the Secretary of Defense for both Kennedy and Johnson, and the man who came up with all the Cuban nonsense and the escalation in Nam, was a Republican until Watergate made him switch parties? I guess the lies and hypocrisy became too much for even him.
JFK a Republican??

Please tell us which JFK policy positions would make him a Republican, in your view.

I'm not seeing it from here.
MinotStateBeav
cbbass1 said:

AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

JFK a Republican??

Please tell us which JFK policy positions would make him a Republican, in your view.

He lowered the marginal tax rates because he saw it encouraged work, investment and risk taking which is what Reagan did in the 80s. Reagan gave him all the credit as well.
cbbass1
DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

Back to topic.

Germany is under pressure to acquire NG from other "sources" (and has been doing so), including the U.A.E. but it wont come fast enough.

Germany currently has their NG storage at 85%, but that will only give them 2.5 months of supply at current demand. Their economy will most likely face one of the biggest contractions since post WW-II next year.

Kind of strange that the U.S. would "backstab" one of its greatest NATO partners by blowing up a pipeline (that wasnt in service by the way) because someone wants the E.U. to "lock in".

Lock-in to what exactly?

LNG from the U.S.?

The U.S. most definitely would "backstab" Germany if they thought that Germany might defect from the sanctions against Russia.

Keep your eye on the protests in Germany, Czech Republic, Italy, and Switzerland. There are significant & vocal contingents that want to end the sanctions and buy Russian gas. They don't want to freeze this winter, and they don't want their economies to collapse from U.S. LNG price gouging.

You won't hear about this in U.S. corporate media, but go on YouTube and search on "europe EU protests end sanctions germany -iran" [so you don't get the videos from Iran].

There, it's a huuuge issue. Here, silence.
DiabloWags
MinotStateBeav said:

cbbass1 said:

AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

JFK a Republican??

He lowered the marginal tax rates because he saw it encouraged work, investment and risk taking which is what Reagan did in the 80s. Reagan gave him all the credit as well.

True.

He lowered the top marginal tax rate from 91% down to 70%
But JFK's biggest tax cuts were aimed at average wage earners in the hopes they would spend more.
And between 1962 and 1966, the Dow Jones nearly doubled as the deficit actually shrunk.

Kennedy also increased the minimum wage, expanded unemployment bennies, boosted social security benefits to encourage workers to retire earlier, and increased spending on highway construction.

It was literally the GOLDEN YEARS in the mid-1960's where the United States enjoyed one of the most robust economic expansions in history. - - - By 1966, GDP was growing at a rate of 6.6%

AunBear89
cbbass1 said:

AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

JFK a Republican??

Read it again - McNamara was the Republican in the Democrat JFK's Cabinet.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearGoggles
DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

Back to topic.

Lock-in to what exactly?

LNG from the U.S.?

Lock in meaning preventing the the European countries from succumbing to internal political pressures to reopen the pipelines and/or end sanctions (and possibly pressure the US/Ukraine to seek an end to the war). As Cbass1 posted, the internal pressures are already there and will (would have?) grown to end Russian sanctions. Less of an issue if the pipeline is not operating.

As you point out, the German economy is set to contract. Other European countries are in bad shape as well. That will produce huge pressure to end sanctions.

And to be clear, I'm relaying what was shared with me. Initially I didn't think it was the US (posted as such above) because I wasn't aware of the internal politics in Europe. But this makes sense as a possible explanation though not the only one. Certainly seems more plausible than Putin blowing up his own pipeline.
BearGoggles
AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Yes. My mensa buddy shared that. He also told me that the Secretary of Defense operates under the (democrat) presidents. It may come as a surprise to you that the president actually sets policy (at least until Weekend at Biden).

For every McNamara, I can point to a Dean Rusk, Averill Harriman, and Dean Acheson (Democrats who crafted the disastrous policy). The fact that you would try to pin this solely on republicans is just absurd and revealing.
AunBear89
None of them planned Bay of Pigs. What's your point, other than pretending that this shows how clever you are?
BearGoggles
cbbass1 said:

AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

JFK a Republican??

Kennedy was anti-communist/socialist, anti-abortion, VERY pro-Israel (he coined the "special relationship"), anti-quota/affirmative action, a free trader (anti-tariff), deeply religious, increased military budgets, fiscally conservative (low deficit/strong dollar), pro-death penalty, an NRA member, and basically a supply sider who cut taxes to stimulate growth (famously claiming a rising tide lifts all boats).

In today's world, those are views mostly associated with conservatives/republicans - though recent republican populism makes it less widespread. But certainly most of those positions are anathema to the democrat party platform.

BearGoggles
AunBear89 said:

None of them planned Bay of Pigs. What's your point, other than pretending that this shows how clever you are?
My point is that its idiotic to ignore that democrat presidents did certain things - indisputably - and instead try to blame their subordinates. It takes a special type of partisanship to go cherry picking for republicans subordinates, while ignoring the democrat subordinates (who acted similarly) and thereby attempt to blame only the republicans aides.

The only way your comments absolving the presidents for their own polices make sense is if you think the democrat presidents are so incredibly stupid that they cannot resist the advice of their republican (and as it turns out democrat) aides. I am actually willing to belief Biden is a captive to his aides - but not Kennedy or Johnson.
AunBear89
You are assigning motivation to my statements that supports your blatant bias towards all things not- conservative. I was not absolving anyone, I was pointing out the stupidity of one of your fellow MAGAts.
oski003
AunBear89 said:

You are assigning motivation to my statements that supports your blatant bias towards all things not- conservative. I was not absolving anyone, I was pointing out the stupidity of one of your fellow MAGAts.

Liberals on BI do this relentlessly. It is tough both ways.
cbbass1
BearGoggles said:

cbbass1 said:

AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

JFK a Republican??

Kennedy was anti-communist/socialist, anti-abortion, VERY pro-Israel (he coined the "special relationship"), anti-quota/affirmative action, a free trader (anti-tariff), deeply religious, increased military budgets, fiscally conservative (low deficit/strong dollar), pro-death penalty, an NRA member, and basically a supply sider who cut taxes to stimulate growth (famously claiming a rising tide lifts all boats).

In today's world, those are views mostly associated with conservatives/republicans - though recent republican populism makes it less widespread. But certainly most of those positions are anathema to the democrat party platform.

One of my best posts -- lost in the bit bucket. Oh well.
sycasey
BearGoggles said:

cbbass1 said:

AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

JFK a Republican??

Believe it or not, "progressive" politics might have progressed after 60 years.
NVBear78
DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Could the US have done it? Ukraine? Britain? Who has something to gain by doing it? It does look sus that the new Baltic/Poland pipeline just came online.
You watch too much Tucker Carlson.

Tucker Carlson suggests US blew up Nord Stream pipeline and lists possible Russian 'retaliations' (yahoo.com)

What do you make of Bidens comments in February promising we will stop the pipeline?
DiabloWags
NVBear78 said:

DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Could the US have done it? Ukraine? Britain? Who has something to gain by doing it? It does look sus that the new Baltic/Poland pipeline just came online.

Tucker Carlson suggests US blew up Nord Stream pipeline and lists possible Russian 'retaliations' (yahoo.com)

What do you make of Bidens comments in February promising we will stop the pipeline?

What do you make of an employee of Donald Trump that told the FBI that the former president ordered boxes of documents at Mar-a-Lago to be moved before federal agents searched the property?

BearGoggles
sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

cbbass1 said:

AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

JFK a Republican??

That is exactly my point. The progressives have "progressed" so far that Kennedy's views correspond to today's republican party. The irony being that Kennedy remains a hero/icon to the left.

And, of course, we can agree to disagree as to whether the left's evolving policies are truly progress. Biden's economy and awful foreign policy results would suggest otherwise.
dimitrig
BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

cbbass1 said:

AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

JFK a Republican??

That is exactly my point. The progressives have "progressed" so far that Kennedy's views correspond to today's republican party. The irony being that Kennedy remains a hero/icon to the left.

And, of course, we can agree to disagree as to whether the left's evolving policies are truly progress. Biden's economy and awful foreign policy results would suggest otherwise.

I think you are confusing today's Republican Party with the Republican Party of another era.

Today's Republican Party considers John McCain and George Bush (both of them) to be RINOs.

Do you really think JFK would be nominated for any office by today's GOP?

Today's GOP can't even be bothered to convict Donald Trump to ensure he couldn't run for office again. That's a far cry from how they handled the Richard Nixon investigation.

The GOP used to have values opposed to mine, but they were patriots and they loved America. Today's GOP will gladly destroy American institutions, even kill Americans, in order to hold on to power and make more money for their benefactors.

They have lost their way so much so that they consider Liz Cheney (Dick freaking Cheney's daughter!), a congresswoman who voted with Trump 92.9% of the time, a traitor to their party because she has a conscience.

Get out of here with that weak "JFK's views correspond to today's Republican Party" sauce.

BearGoggles
dimitrig said:

BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

cbbass1 said:

AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

JFK a Republican??

I think you are confusing today's Republican Party with the Republican Party of another era.

Today's Republican Party considers John McCain and George Bush (both of them) to be RINOs.

Do you really think JFK would be nominated for any office by today's GOP?

Today's GOP can't even be bothered to convict Donald Trump to ensure he couldn't run for office again. That's a far cry from how they handled the Richard Nixon investigation.

The GOP used to have values opposed to mine, but they were patriots and they loved America. Today's GOP will gladly destroy American institutions, even kill Americans, in order to hold on to power and make more money for their benefactors.

They have lost their way so much so that they consider Liz Cheney (Dick freaking Cheney's daughter!), a congresswoman who voted with Trump 92.9% of the time, a traitor to their party because she has a conscience.

Get out of here with that weak "JFK's views correspond to today's Republican Party" sauce.

Talk about painting with a broad brush. I can do the same thing.

JFK would not be nominated for any office by today's Democrat Party.

Today's democrat party can't even be bothered to condemn overt anti-Semitism and racism from its most prominent leaders and supporters including the squad.

Today's democrat party is so intent on keeping power it nominated a senile candidate and, upon his election, refuses to acknowledge the obvious fact that he's impaired.

Today's democrat party has gone from abortion being safe, legal and rare to viewing the killing of fetuses as something to be promoted and celebrated as "brave".

Today's democrat party has abandoned all notions of "liberal" first amendment protections and is explicitly and overtly anti-free speech, anti-religion, and hyper-racial (and in some cases racist).

Todays democrat party has partnered with big tech to silence its political opponents.

Today's democrat party remarkably supports the Cheney and Bush families - I'm old enough to remember when they were considered Htiler-like war criminals - all to advance partisan agendas.

Todays democrat party has become captive to wall street and other monied interest - the same criticism. leveled against Republicans in years past. But look at the wall street donations now, not to mention crony capitalism.

Today's democrat party undermines election integrity with policies like ballot harvesting and in fact has rigged its own primaries (talk to Bernie Sanders).

Today's democrat party pursues foreign wars and intervention with gusto - the new neocons (or perhaps a return to democrat neocon roots).

Today's democrat party tolerates (and in some casers actively supports) insurrection, looting, violent protests, and riots - but only by its voters.

Today's democrat party supports criminals with "social justice" agendas (e.g., no-bail policies) and other woke prosecutors' who refuse to enforce the law.

Today's democrat party supports rogue nations like Iran that are the worst violators of human rights.

Today's democrat party has pursued an open border policy that puts the interest of illegal immigrants ahead of citizens and has created much suffering by both groups, including fentanyl deaths.

Today's democrat party is led by a cadre of ancient leaders who have corruptly clung to power and used that power to accumulate massive wealth (including insider trading). How did Schumer, Bernie and Biden - who spent their entire lives in "public service" - become so wealthy?

Today's democrat party has attacked institutions, broken congressional and governmental norms, The use of executive orders which were knowingly and admittedly illegal (DACA, student loans) is no longer a problem.

Today's democrat party has demonstrated the worst impulses for authoritarian governance and control. Covid is an emergency when it supports outlandish policies (student loan forgiveness) and the Dems accumulation of power, but not a problem when it supports dem policies (immigration).

Get out of here with your bull shyte "I'm a patriot and you're not" arguments. That is the exact cudgel that republicans used to use against Dems - which Dems used to object to. It is disgusting.
DiabloWags
dimitrig said:

Stop it.
You're making TOO MUCH SENSE.
sycasey
BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

cbbass1 said:

AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

JFK a Republican??

Maybe some people can see that while Kennedy was progressive for his day, things have changed and there are different standards now.

I'm not sure what you mean about Biden's awful foreign policy. Is it just the messy Afghanistan withdrawal? That was messy, but ultimately the result is the right one for the US.
BearGoggles
sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

cbbass1 said:

AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

JFK a Republican??

Maybe some people can see that while Kennedy was progressive for his day, things have changed and there are different standards now.

I'm not sure what you mean about Biden's awful foreign policy. Is it just the messy Afghanistan withdrawal? That was messy, but ultimately the result is the right one for the US.

I'm not sure how you can say the Afghanistan result was the right one - the US could have left in an orderly fashion (the correct result) and not immediately turned over control, weapons and friendlies to the Taliban. That's like saying the withdrawal from Vietnam was a foreign policy success, which no one says. Biden left in haste for no good reason. He could have left behind a small force to bolster the government (as the military wanted to). Maybe the Taliban would have taken over eventually in any event (probably). But it would not have been immediate chaos in Kabul.

I think Biden's middle east foreign policy is a disaster, picking up right where Obama left off with Iran. Just an awful deal that he is trying to resurrect. Why relax sanctions BEFORE you have a new deal? And there is no coherence in how he treats Iran vs. the Saudis. The Saudis are bad but generally friendly to the US (historically). Iran is worse and very unfriendly to the US and its allies, starting proxy wars throughout the Middle East (Syria, Yemen, Lebanon, Hamas, Islamic Jihad, etc). Yet Biden alienates the Saudis and placates the Iranians. Asinine.

I think his Ukraine policy is muddled and without a clear (or stated) objective - results tbd. Certainly some of Biden's statements prior to the Russian invasion were unhelpful, if not giving Putin the signal that the US would not intervene as we have.

I think his policy towards China (both rhetoric and actions) has been soft and invited Chinese aggressiveness. And how many times has he misstated US foreign policy where his staff had to do cleanup (e.g., Taiwan defense commitments)?

North Korea - back to launching missiles and sabre rattling.

And immigration is, in significant part, a foreign policy issue (e.g., dealing with Mexican cartels, preventing mass migration, and Kamala's role as the border czar to the "Northern Triangle" countries), I think there is no doubt those policies are an epic failure. Kamala is yet to visit the border and has accomplished nothing.

We probably disagree about some if not all of the above. That's fine.
cbbass1
sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

cbbass1 said:

AunBear89 said:

BearGoggles said:

AunBear89 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

JFK a Republican??

The meaning of the term "Progressive" hasn't changed since the Progressive Era. Progressives are against corruption, bribery, and the capture of governments and government agencies by corporate money and power.

True Progressives are called the "Far Left" by both parties. They have no place in the GOP, and they're attacked mercilessly by the corporate Democrats who have taken over the Party.

JFK could claim to be Progressive, relative to today's politicians, simply because bribery was illegal then, and there was much less of it.

cbbass1
NVBear78 said:

DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

When you look at all the evidence, it's overwhelmingly in favor of the U.S., either directly or indirectly, sabotaging the Nordstream Pipeline. You have to remember that when it comes to the U.S. military & foreign policy, there's very little distance between the interests of oil companies and the interests of the U.S. military.

If they're willing to lie us into an illegal war to invade & occupy Iraq, and to procure their oil fields, I'd say that there isn't much that they won't do. At our expense.

This is a pretty comprehensive assessment.
https://consortiumnews.com/2022/10/12/scott-ritter-pipelines-v-usa/

I know that many of you dismiss Scott Ritter because he's a "Russian propagandist." However, in this case, he's just telling the truth. Follow the links, & do your due diligence. If you think he's lying, show us something more credible.
https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/cia-warned-berlin-about-nord-stream-attack-weeks-ahead:-repo

Would the U.S. stab an "ally" in the back? Absolutely. And that "ally" won't say a word. Because where U.S. foreign policy is concerned, "You're either with us, or you're against us."
movielover
Biden was quoted early in the year wanting to stop it.

Incompetent Blinken (Afghanistan) - part of Obama's C Team - seemed low key gleeful about the development.

We either did it, or allowed it to happen.

This hurts Russia.
Eastern Oregon Bear
movielover said:

Incompetent Blinken (Afghanistan) - part of Obama's C Team - seemed low key gleeful about the development.

This hurts Russia.
So you're saying the incompetent people pulled off an underwater sabotage explosion without being noticed?
movielover
Sure, special ops. It wasn't Latvia.
golden sloth
movielover said:

This hurts Russia.

In case you dont realize this, your first two statements dont support your conclusion. There is a world of other potential perpetrators, and there is no actual evidence of who did this, only speculation , but speculation is not fact.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.