The British Crown

9,156 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bearister
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

Tough crowd.

Here you've got this son pestered his entire life by a relentless press and a moronic father beholden to it on the one side and on the other is an accomplished, smart, brave woman who has big time batted above her average in life,

but all some see is what's wrong with them.

"What's wrong with them" is that they are trying to be professional victims/celebrities. I didn't go looking for Harry or Mehgan to have somebody to criticize or dislike; they came to me. They're putting themselves out there to be famous and to try and monetize that fame. Members of the general public can choose to like what they see, or not like it. The fact that I stayed through the 60 Minutes commercial break to watch the second part of the segment means they probably got what they wanted. (The reason I didn't turn it off was that I like to watch TV while I do my core workout, but that doesn't matter.)
bearister
I watched his 60 Minutes segment. He's not stupid. I'll give him that much.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
dajo9
Big C said:

concordtom said:

Tough crowd.

Here you've got this son pestered his entire life by a relentless press and a moronic father beholden to it on the one side and on the other is an accomplished, smart, brave woman who has big time batted above her average in life,

"What's wrong with them" is that they are trying to be professional victims/celebrities. I didn't go looking for Harry or Mehgan to have somebody to criticize or dislike; they came to me. They're putting themselves out there to be famous and to try and monetize that fame. Members of the general public can choose to like what they see, or not like it. The fact that I stayed through the 60 Minutes commercial break to watch the second part of the segment means they probably got what they wanted. (The reason I didn't turn it off was that I like to watch TV while I do my core workout, but that doesn't matter.)
If you put it that way, they didn't come to you - the disgusting British tabloid media brought them to you. You seem to have ignored that but when they try to defend themselves in the public sphere (from the attacks made against them in the public sphere) you suddenly get huffy and want to know why.

Concordtom is right. "all some see is what's wrong with them". I think Meghan Markle is great. Harry seems cool, too. I can relate to the troubles he's had with his step-mother for sure.
American Vermin
Big C
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Tough crowd.

If you put it that way, they didn't come to you - the disgusting British tabloid media brought them to you. You seem to have ignored that but when they try to defend themselves in the public sphere (from the attacks made against them in the public sphere) you suddenly get huffy and want to know why.

Concordtom is right. "all some see is what's wrong with them". I think Meghan Markle is great. Harry seems cool, too. I can relate to the troubles he's had with his step-mother for sure.

Did the British tabloids really bring them to me? Because I don't read the British tabloids. I saw them when they chose to go on an Oprah special and on 60 Minutes. You see a Harry who is "cool". I see a guy who grew up with all the privilege in the world, playing the victim and telling personal stories about his family on TV, to promote his book. To me, that's lame, not cool.

Whether one chooses to like or dislike a celebrity is more like a leisure activity than it is real life, so there are no right answers here. Great that you like these two; more power to you. And the fact that I don't like them, it is just a reaction I'm having (sort of like a rash?). Bottom line is that I don't really care and this is just the smallest of potatoes, in the grand scheme of things.

dajo9
Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Tough crowd.

Did the British tabloids really bring them to me? Because I don't read the British tabloids. I saw them when they chose to go on an Oprah special and on 60 Minutes. You see a Harry who is "cool". I see a guy who grew up with all the privilege in the world, playing the victim and telling personal stories about his family on TV, to promote his book. To me, that's lame, not cool.

Whether one chooses to like or dislike a celebrity is more like a leisure activity than it is real life, so there are no right answers here. Great that you like these two; more power to you. And the fact that I don't like them, it is just a reaction I'm having (sort of like a rash?). Bottom line is that I don't really care and this is just the smallest of potatoes, in the grand scheme of things.

They were put in the public sphere by the media. They responded to the public sphere in the media. Please don't act like they came out of nowhere and put themselves on you.
American Vermin
bearister
Big C
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Tough crowd.

They were put in the public sphere by the media. They responded to the public sphere in the media. Please don't act like they came out of nowhere and put themselves on you.

Yeah, like these two are eschewing celebrityhood (except for the unpleasant necessity of clearing their good name!). LOL.

Again, you like 'em? Good for you. Maybe you can meet them at a book-signing. Heck, they might want to hang out!
dajo9
Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Tough crowd.

Yeah, like these two are eschewing celebrityhood (except for the unpleasant necessity of clearing their good name!). LOL.

Again, you like 'em? Good for you. Maybe you can meet them at a book-signing. Heck, they might want to hang out!

They aren't eschewing celebrity. They are getting their story out after being piled on by the media for years. And, in American tradition, getting richer doing it.
American Vermin
Apathetic Bear
Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Tough crowd.

To quote another thread in this forum, sheep gonna sheep.
Big C
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Tough crowd.

They aren't eschewing celebrity. They are getting their story out after being piled on by the media for years. And, in American tradition, getting richer doing it.

Well, now that they have gotten their story out -- I mean, after the book promotion tour -- I'm sure they will embrace the quiet life of private citizenry, free from being the victims of tabloid journalism and such. The painful piling on will be over!
concordtom
Big C said:

I like to watch TV while I do my core workout, but that doesn't matter.

I'd like to give you credit for taking good care of yourself. I salute you!!
Big C
concordtom said:

Big C said:

I used to have lower back problems, but no more (knock on wood). Easy workout, w/o equipment, 20 minutes, twice a week.
dajo9
Apathetic Bear said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Tough crowd.

To quote another thread in this forum, sheep gonna sheep.

Yes, that is why most people dutiful follow the media and hate on Harry and his mix-raced wife
American Vermin
concordtom
Big C said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

I used to have lower back problems, but no more (knock on wood). Easy workout, w/o equipment, 20 minutes, twice a week.

Gimme instructions.
I'll try to catch up.
prospeCt
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/13/dartmoor-estate-landowner-alexander-darwall-court-case-right-to-camp

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/commentisfree/2023/jan/13/prince-harry-title-duke-duchess-sussex-spare

wifeisafurd
prospeCt said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/13/dartmoor-estate-landowner-alexander-darwall-court-case-right-to-camp

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/commentisfree/2023/jan/13/prince-harry-title-duke-duchess-sussex-spare

Yup, I think the arcticles are correct. From everything I have read, while Harry and Megan have good press and support in the colonies, that is not happing in Europe, and in particular Great Britain, where Harry now is hated generally, though that has not stopped the English from buying his book.

YouGovPrince Harry's popularity falls further as 'Spare' hits the shelves2 days ago

At some point, people will stop caring, no matter how they feel about Harry,
bearister
Dirty wee torturers': Northern Irish man tells of British army abuse during Troubles

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/20/northern-irish-man-british-army-abuse-troubles?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Ursine

wifeisafurd
Ursine said:

Megan's people released a statement saying she was "upset and overwhelmed." Apparently, she doesn't find South Park funny.

Besides the TV interview above, South Park had the couple later board a flashy private jet and embark on their "Worldwide Privacy Tour," eventually settling in South Park, where they believe "people would think we're really serious about wanting to be normal." Harry and Megan let the residents of South Park know they want privacy by hanging up banners on their large, new house.
bearister
Say what you will about Megan, but naming her daughter Lilibet was the most advanced troll move pulled on The Crown in the last thousand years (and probably the next thousand).

The souls of thousands of wrongfully starved, imprisoned and murdered Irish patriots salute you!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.