The Non-Yogi Israel-Palestine war thread

189,563 Views | 2533 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by tequila4kapp
BearGoggles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some pretty fascinatingly polling here

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/HHP_Oct23_KeyResults.pdf

I don't want to derail the thread with the domestic political polling date. The Middle East questions start on page 39.

One take away is that (perhaps expectedly), the responders in the 18-24 demo are confused and/or not bright. Apparently a majority of the 18-24 group think that Hamas 10/7 acts were terrorism and BUT ALSO JUSTIFIED. Lots of other weird answers. The venn diagram would be insane.

tequila4kapp
I think it is the epitome of silly to think the language we use would influence nation's global geo-political decisions / aspirations. Those 3 nations are going to be aligned for entirely different reasons. It has already been happening; it is inevitable.
tequila4kapp
BearGoggles said:

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/HHP_Oct23_KeyResults.pdf

I don't want to derail the thread with the domestic political polling date. The Middle East questions start on page 39.

One take away is that (perhaps expectedly), the responders in the 18-24 demo are confused and/or not bright. Apparently a majority of the 18-24 group think that Hamas 10/7 acts were terrorism and BUT ALSO JUSTIFIED. Lots of other weird answers. The venn diagram would be insane.
The government deciding which speech is allowed/preferred AND they think there are justifications for terrorism...man, I'm getting old and/or our youth are absolutely freaking idiots.
10% For The Big Guy
BearGoggles said:

Truth hurts apparently
sycasey
BearGoggles said:

Here's my take on the age splits: in addition to younger people simply being less informed/aware of foreign policy, the younger you go the more you find people who have only known Israel's government during the Netanyahu era of increasing West Bank settlements and quasi-apartheid policies therein. As a result, these younger people are a lot less sympathetic towards Israel and more sympathetic towards Palestine. This influences their answers.
10% For The Big Guy
sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

Here's my take on the age splits: in addition to younger people simply being less informed/aware of foreign policy, the younger you go the more you find people who have only known Israel's government during the Netanyahu era of increasing West Bank settlements and quasi-apartheid policies therein. As a result, these younger people are a lot less sympathetic towards Israel and more sympathetic towards Palestine. This influences their answers.
Alternatively, old people have been propagandized about Israel so long that they are too stupid to realize they have supported an apartheid state all their lives and it's the young people who are smart.
Cal88
10% For The Big Guy said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

Alternatively, old people have been propagandized about Israel so long that they are too stupid to realize they have supported an apartheid state all their lives and it's the young people who are smart.

Exactly, BoomerCons have been weaned on decades of a steady diet of mideast propaganda. We're now seeing a revival of the worst kind of Bush-Cheney era talking points, like turtle Mitch going on with his "axis of evil" and other vintage rhetoric.
Cal88

BearGoggles
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

Exactly, BoomerCons have been weaned on decades of a steady diet of mideast propaganda. We're now seeing a revival of the worst kind of Bush-Cheney era talking points, like turtle Mitch going on with his "axis of evil" and other vintage rhetoric.
Both of you are so caught up in trying to score points for "your team" that you're overlooking the obvious implications of your position.

Once you (and the significant portion of 18-24 year olds) take the position that it is ok to intentionally target women, children, and other civilians to achieve political ends, then its time for you to STFU about what you claim is going on in GAZA. See how that works?
BearGoggles
Cal88 said:

Innocent Gazans are dying and suffering. It is terrible. I wish it were not so. We should seek to avoid every death but unfortunately, that is not possible in war.

But get out of here with anything sourced to Hamas - which this claim is. Those are the same people who told us 500 people died in and a hospital was destroyed by Israel - all false.
Cal88
BearGoggles said:

Cal88 said:

Innocent Gazans are dying and suffering. It is terrible. I wish it were not so. We should seek to avoid every death but unfortunately, that is not possible in war.

But get out of here with anything sourced to Hamas - which this claim is. Those are the same people who told us 500 people died in and a hospital was destroyed by Israel - all false.

Ten days ago, Israel acknowledged that it had dropped 6,000 bombs on Gaza in the first 6 days of the war.
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel-hamas-war-gaza-strip/card/israeli-air-force-says-it-has-dropped-6-000-bombs-on-gaza-QK1aSnupiGqytMVO86PU

This is a picture of the scale of Israeli bombing from last week, as reported by Le Monde - the current picture is even worse:

Given the amount of bombing Israel has done, and the sheer density of the population in Gaza, and more specifically in the areas that have been bombed, you really have to be incredibly naive or biased to doubt that the death toll is well into the thousands by now.
BearGoggles
Cal88 said:

BearGoggles said:

Cal88 said:

Ten days ago, Israel acknowledged that it had dropped 6,000 bombs on Gaza in the first 6 days of the war.
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel-hamas-war-gaza-strip/card/israeli-air-force-says-it-has-dropped-6-000-bombs-on-gaza-QK1aSnupiGqytMVO86PU

This is a picture of the scale of Israeli bombing from last week, as reported by Le Monde - the current picture is even worse:

Given the amount of bombing Israel has done, and the sheer density of the population in Gaza, and more specifically in the areas that have been bombed, you really have to be incredibly naive or biased to doubt that the death toll is well into the thousands by now.

It might be. But I wouldn't be uncritically quoting Hamas' numbers that we know have about a 0% chance of being accurate. We know Hamas lies and includes the deaths of their soldiers in the numbers.

The amazing thing is, with all the Israeli bombing, somehow Hamas continues to hold hostages and fire rockets at Israel while using churches/hospitals/mosques/people as shields. Its almost like all of these facts are somehow related.

Hamas could end the bombing quite easily - return the kidnapped hostages, lay down their arms, and relinquish power. Take asylum in Quatar or wherever. Hamas won't do that because they are a death cult with little to no regard for human life. They'd rather have martyrdom than peace.

wifeisafurd
"It seems like this admin just is very opposed to using diplomacy at all and we may be walking ourselves into a bigger conflict than what US military power can handle."

I once had a former Secretary of State who I nominally worked for (he was managing partner, and I was a lowly associate) tell me the framework of international negotiations was easy. You let both sides air out their grievances, and then start asking what is that you need. It is the details that are hard.

That works fine when the relevant parties are at the table. But this is a proxy battle between Iran and Saudi Arabia. Hizbollah and Hamas are supported and armed by by the Iranians. The PLO is supported by the Egyptians and Saudis, and cooperates with Israel. The Saudis and Egyptians don't want Iran having influence in the Peninsula and causing instability. Egypt also doesn't want a a few million destitute refugees who are not aligned with their regime's views.

So there is no airing of grievances and asking Hamas and Israel what it is they need for what likely would be a negotiated 2 state solution, because all of the other players are not at the table. Instead, you go the next level of foreign policy which is one side has to lose enough they are forced to negotiate. Israel is now doing that bidding on behalf of Saudesi and Egypt by removing Hamas, with US backing, and replacing them with the PLO. So in case you are wondering, Biden is back with the regular US alliances in the region, and has had held up the release of billions of dollars Iran was supposed to get.

This may in the long run work for Biden. Since taking over Gaza in 2007, Hamas frequently has launched attacks at civilian Israeli targets and perpetrated repeated terrorist attacks on innocent Israeli civilians, with resulting massive incursions by the IDF, leaving many dead Palestinians. Since Hamas took over in 2007, Israel and Egypt have imposed severe restrictions on their borders with Gaza to minimize the flow of sophisticated weapons into Gaza and prevent terrorists from entering Israel. As a result of those border restrictions, Gaza's residents justifiably complain about the abysmal squalor that they have been living in for 16 years. Those border restrictions would not be necessary if Hamas were to stop attacking Israel and recognize its right to exist. That is not going to happen with Hamas being funded by Iran. Over the years, the international community has sent billions of dollars to Gaza. Iran and other countries have sent untold millions more and sophisticated weapons. Hamas has built large reinforced tunnels from Egypt, through which it smuggles in rocket launchers, thousands of rockets, and other deadly offensive weapons, but not food, water, medicine …. Hamas also has built reinforced tunnels for its leadership and terrorists to hide in when Israel responds to Hamas's terrorist attacks. Even the Gaza people have to know that in the interest of the Hamas leaders is themselves. That is why Hamas won't hold elections.

Yet, Hamas has not built adequate housing, power plants, other essential infrastructure, or even bunkers or safe rooms, for its civilians. So if regime change is achieved, and the PLO finally is controlled to stop engaging in massive corruption (which is a big ask), it is likely that Israel and Gaza air out their grievances, US negotiators get to ask what is it that you need to both sides and maybe there is some chance of peace. It worked with Egypt and Israel, and, it could work with Gaza, with some arm twisting of Bibi by Biden, not to mention billions in Saudi and US aide pouring into build a modern Palestinian Gaza state, with the food, water, medicine, good jobs, housing, hospitals, and other infrastructure the Palestinians want.
Cal88
BearGoggles said:

Cal88 said:

BearGoggles said:

Cal88 said:

It might be. But I wouldn't be uncritically quoting Hamas' numbers that we know have about a 0% chance of being accurate. We know Hamas lies and includes the deaths of their soldiers in the numbers.

The amazing thing is, with all the Israeli bombing, somehow Hamas continues to hold hostages and fire rockets at Israel while using churches/hospitals/mosques/people as shields. Its almost like all of these facts are somehow related.

Hamas could end the bombing quite easily - return the kidnapped hostages, lay down their arms, and relinquish power. Take asylum in Quatar or wherever. Hamas won't do that because they are a death cult with little to no regard for human life. They'd rather have martyrdom than peace.

-How do you drop well over 10,000 bombs in areas within Gaza with population densities higher than Manhattan and not kill thousands??

-The church that Israel bombed this weekend did not serve as a Hamas outpost, it was sheltering hundreds of civilians. It's part of a long pattern of Israel "mowing the lawn" in Gaza.
tequila4kapp

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

There is so much youthful arrogance in this. Guess what? Every generation has had some group or another that has faced ***** The brilliance and beauty of someone like Gandhi or Dr King is that they overcame through peace and love and intellect, not bullets and bombs and anger and violence. The path people take to fight back is a choice. The oppression does not demand violence in return. The youth of today are apparently too stupid to see this very basic fact.
Cal88
tequila4kapp said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

There is so much youthful arrogance in this. Guess what? Every generation has had some group or another that has faced ***** The brilliance and beauty of someone like Gandhi or Dr King is that they overcame through peace and love and intellect, not bullets and bombs and anger and violence. The path people take to fight back is a choice. The oppression does not demand violence in return. The youth of today are apparently too stupid to see this very basic fact.

The Gazans had a series of peaceful protests in 2018-19 where thousands of unarmed protestors were shot with live ammunition.
https://www.msf.org/great-march-return-depth
Quote:

Thousands of demonstrators have sustained severe gunshot wounds, mostly in the legs, shattering bones. Between the first protest and November 2019, more than 35,600 demonstrators were injured, 7,996 with live ammunition, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

Quote:

WHY ARE PALESTINIANS DEMONSTRATING?

This year has marked 11 years since Israel imposed a land, air and sea blockade on the Gaza Strip. The United Nations and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), among others, have characterized Israel's closure policy as "collective punishment" and called for Israel to lift its closure. Under Israel's illegal blockade, movement of people and goods is severely restricted and the majority of exports and imports of raw materials have been banned. Travel through the Erez Crossing, Gaza's passenger crossing to Israel, the West Bank, and the outside world, is limited to what the Israeli military calls "exceptional humanitarian cases",

Over the last 11 years, civilians in the Gaza Strip, 70% of whom are registered refugees from areas that now constitute Israel, have suffered the devastating consequences of Israel's illegal blockade in addition to three wars that have also taken a heavy toll on essential infrastructure and further debilitated Gaza's health system and economy. As a result, Gaza's economy has sharply declined, leaving its population almost entirely dependent on international aid. Gaza now has one of the highest unemployment rates in the world at 44%. Four years after the 2014 conflict, some 22,000 people remain internally displaced, and thousands suffer from significant health problems that require urgent medical treatment outside of the Gaza Strip. However, Israel often denies or delays issuing permits to those seeking vital medical care outside Gaza, while hospitals inside the Strip lack adequate resources and face chronic shortages of fuel, electricity and medical supplies caused mainly by Israel's illegal blockade.

The organizers of the "Great March of Return" have repeatedly stated that the protests are intended to be peaceful, and they have largely involved demonstrators protesting near the fence that separates the Gaza Strip from Israel. Despite this, the Israeli army reinforced its forces deploying tanks, military vehicles and soldiers, including snipers, along the Gaza/Israel fence and gave orders to shoot anyone within several hundred metres of the fence.
bearister
Israel willing to delay Gaza invasion to discuss release of hostages

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/24/israel-hostages-delay-invasion-gaza-hamas
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C

Maybe the Israeli government has decided to buy some time, realizing that their initial reaction, while totally understandable after this horrific attack, came across as so blunt and so bellicose that it was, in the long run, going to be counter-productive.
tequila4kapp
Other reports indicate the US is asking them to slow down / pause because we are not ready.
Who knows?
10% For The Big Guy
tequila4kapp said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

The strategies of Gandhi and MLK don't work when the other side can just decide to bomb you into oblivion. Until and unless there is a significant population of Israeli citizens who oppose their country being an apartheid state, non-violent protest has zero chance of changing things in a positive way for the Palestinians.
oski003

tequila4kapp said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

The strategies of Gandhi and MLK don't work when the other side can just decide to bomb you into oblivion. Until and unless there is a significant population of Israeli citizens who oppose their country being an apartheid state, non-violent protest has zero chance of changing things in a positive way for the Palestinians.

You think Israel would bomb them into oblivion if they were doing nonviolent protests? Why?
KPG
BearGoggles, I respectfully disagree that because Israelis don't see themselves as colonialists it's irrelevant to asset as such or that it asserts that Israelis can't even be victims since they're colonialists, but that's fine.

If you assert that there can never be peace while Hamas is in charge, that co-existing with Hamas is no longer an option, then I must say I'm a bit baffled that you don't support getting rid of Netanyahu and think that I just irrationally hate the guy. As a 49ers fan, I think it's perfectly rational to hate a loud-mouth who spent his formative years in a Philadelphia suburb! Have you seen the average Eagles fan?

But all jokes aside, Netanyahu and his current ultra far-right Orthodox extremist governing coalition are awful for peace, awful for their historic support of Hamas, and awful for their inflammatory policies. Why would you support a Prime Minister who has tried to repeatedly propp up Hamas, and has said as much?

"Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas," the prime minister reportedly said at a 2019 meeting of his Likud party. "This is part of our strategy to isolate the Palestinians in Gaza from the Palestinians in the West Bank."

It takes two to tango and to negotiate for peace, and purposefully and deliberately splitting the Palestinians between Fatah and Hamas, supporting Hamas, and then using Hamas' extremism as the reason why a two-state solution will never work has proven to be a horrific, horrific strategic mis-calculation.

I'm not sure how you are optimistic that whatever comes next after Hamas will be less extreme or what historic precedent that is based off of, but gee I hope you're right.

That being said, here we are, day 18 I think of ceaseless bombing in Gaza, likely 6,000 minimum dead, tens of thousands of more injured, and hundreds of thousands displaced, and just today, Israel suffered the worst barrage of missile strikes of the conflict.

So clearly this strategy of carpet bombing and collectively punishing civilians isn't working. Hamas is saying it has 30,000 to 40,000 fighters ready to engage, I've heard figures that there are hundreds if not thousands of miles of subterranean tunnels, and that they have months of food. The water is still off, aid is hardly trickling in, people are starving, hospitals are out of fuel, and American naval and land forces are under siege in Iraq, Syria, and the Red Sea.

So carpet bombing civilians isn't destroying Hamas. Escalating the war into Gaza will prove incredibly bloody, and will lead to further escalation, as militant groups aligned with Iran say they will escalate further if Israel does. Hostages are still alive! Elderly hostages were just released yesterday and spoke of their relatively humane treatment following their hellish abduction.

So I don't see Hamas getting removed any time soon without a serious tactical change.

You also allude to needing to reign in Iran and Qatar. Who needs to reign them in? Us? If the objective is to reign them in diplomatically, we've kinda pivoted our entire diplomatic focus to southeast Asia with to Indo-Pacific Strategy, where our diplomatic focus is on strengthening the ties of India, Japan, Australia with us to check China's growing regional and global power. We have essentially abandoned a role in leadership of diplomacy in the middle east and Iran and Russia are more than happy to rush in and fill that void. We couldn't even get a meeting with Jordan when Biden went to the region! The more the indiscriminate civilian massacres continue in Gaza, the more horrified the entire world and Middle East become, and the more they start to blame the US as enabled of this atrocity. Even countries like Saudi Arabia that has similar strategic aims as us, they seek to continue the global order status quo, use Israel as a useful bulwark against Iran, can't meet with us openly since there's such public disgust for our current 'brand' of freedom and democracy right now. And they are cozying up further to Iran who helped extricate them for the mess they got into in Yemen, and enjoying popularity in the Muslim world right now which is a valuable currency they don't want to flush down the toilet, especially when they rightly see the power vacuum we've left, and view themselves as the rightful regional ascendant power rather than Iran.

So if we can't lead diplomatically in the region to reign in Iran, can we do it militarily?

We spent six months preparing for the war on Iraq, amassing troops, establishing supply lines, aligning a 'global coalition'.

We maxed out with 176,000 coalition troops on the ground at the peak, having committed over 584,000 coalition troops, of which 466,000 were Americans throughout the duration of the war. We had a staging ground in Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Bahrain, the UAE and enjoyed a politically isolated Iraq, and support from local military groups to the north in Iraqi Kurdistan. We had six aircraft carrier battle groups deployed in the Middle East and 1,200 aircraft, and flew aircraft from 30 different bases. We had a clear objective, albeit a stupid one in hindsight of removing WMDs that were never found, 'liberating Iraq' and creating a democracy, which we never achieved. As of 2008, the Harvard Kennedy School of Government estimated the cost of the War in Iraq at $3,000,000,000,000 - $3 trillion dollars. Who knows what we've spent in the region since then!

And all of this was to destroy the Iraqi army, isolated, acting without regional allies, and in a relatively flat country.

Now we have a few thousand troops scattered, we have directly or at minimum indirectly through our presence created, funded, or inspired countless local militia groups, some funded by the US, many funded by Iran. We have been funding a proxy war against Russia in Ukraine for years, and we have already stretched our military thin with twenty years of warfare in Iraq and Afghanistan and Syria. Meanwhile Iran has created incredibly strong diplomatic ties and strong militias that orbit around Tehran one way or another - either ideologically, through funding, or through common objectives. The Houthis in Yemen are rearing to join in the fray against the US. The Iranian territory in mountainous and easily defensible, oh, and Iran is a nuclear power supported by Russia, a nuclear power. After Israel bombed civilian airports in Syria for fear of Iran resupplying Hezbollah using them, the Russians rolled out the red carpet for Iran to begin using the Russian air base in western Syria.

And now we've spend untold billions in Ukraine, and are mostly worried about China, where we have most of our current naval forces deployed to keep China in check around Taiwan. Any further pivot away from southeast Asian threatens Biden and the US main strategic imperative of the Indo-Pacific Strategy. Maybe we can move a few more carrier groups over and put sailors in harm's way of Iran proxy militias and completely cede Taiwan to China.

So to summarize, Hamas is militarily as strong as they were when this bombing began. In order to get rid of Hamas, it will require a greater escalation, which will push us closer into a regional war with Iran's proxy armies. We have no diplomatic ground to stand on in the region. We aren't nearly prepared for such a war with Iran, we don't have clear strategic objectives, and the area is much more aligned against us militarily and diplomatically then it was in 2003, when we had to spend an incredible amount of resources with meticulous planning and global support to topple a much weaken opponent.

Even if I fully agreed with every single thing you said, that Hamas MUST go no matter the cost, that Iran needs to be reined in, I literally just don't see the pathway for that given the current regional dynamics other than wishful thinking.
bearister
I respected MLK but I personally believe that what made the nation come to Jesus was the 150 race riots that erupted across America in the summer of 1967 (riots in Atlanta, Boston, Cincinnati, Buffalo,Tampa. Birmingham, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Newark, New Britain, New York City, Plainfield, Rochester, and Toledo).
KPG
oski003 said:

tequila4kapp said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

You think Israel would bomb them into oblivion if they were doing nonviolent protests? Why?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%932019_Gaza_border_protests#:~:text=The%20demonstrators%20demanded%20that%20the,Jerusalem%20as%20capital%20of%20Israel.

Palestinians in Gaza protested peacefully and largely non-violently in 2018 and 2019. 189 Palestinians were killed, and thousands wounded. One Israeli soldier was hurt. Israel largely responded with snipers shooting out the knee-caps of Palestinians that protested. One sniped bragged about shooting out 42 people's knees in one day.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2020-03-06/ty-article-magazine/.highlight/42-knees-in-one-day-israeli-snipers-open-up-about-shooting-gaza-protesters/0000017f-f2da-d497-a1ff-f2dab2520000

"Thirty thousand Palestinians participated in the first demonstration on 30 March. Larger protests took place on the following Fridays, 6 April, 13 April, 20 April, 27 April, 4 May, and 11 May each of which involved at least 10,000 demonstrators while smaller numbers attended activities during the week.
Most of the demonstrators demonstrated peacefully far from the border fence. Peter Cammack, a fellow with the Middle East Program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, argued that the march indicated a new trend in Palestinian society and Hamas, with a shift away from violence towards non-violent forms of protest.

Nevertheless, groups consisting mainly of young men approached the fence and committed acts of violence directed towards the Israeli side. Israeli officials said the demonstrations were used by Hamas as cover for launching attacks against Israel. An independent UN commission set the number of known militants killed at 29 out of the 189."

"According to Robert Mardini head of Middle East for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), more than 13,000 Palestinians were wounded as of 19 June 2018. The majority were wounded severely, with some 1,400 struck by three to five bullets. No Israelis were physically harmed from 30 March to 12 May, until one Israeli soldier was reported as slightly wounded on 14 May, the day the protests peaked"

Edited to clean up hyperlink messiness
dajo9
bearister said:

I respected MLK but I personally believe that what made the nation come to Jesus was the 150 race riots that erupted across America in the summer of 1967 (riots in Atlanta, Boston, Cincinnati, Buffalo,Tampa. Birmingham, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Newark, New Britain, New York City, Plainfield, Rochester, and Toledo).

When I was a Berkeley student a black student told me the reason civil rights worked when it did was because whites were a majority in Southern states (this was not true until The Great Migration of the 1920s). Then black people could be allowed to vote and white people would still win. At the time I was too young and pro America too realize that was correct.
"The rules were that you were not going to fact check"
MAGA
10% For The Big Guy

bearister
The 'Devil's Playground' of Urban Combat That Israel Is Preparing to Enter DNyuz

https://dnyuz.com/2023/10/24/the-devils-playground-of-urban-combat-that-israel-is-preparing-to-enter/
tequila4kapp

tequila4kapp said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

Sorry, but there's a level of silliness here. You think everything was peaches and cream for African Americans? Lynchings, murders, jailings, the KKK's terror, etc, etc, etc. Non violent civil disobedience works precisely because only one side is committing violence. It is the tool to change the hearts and minds of Israelis.

We've had about 70 years of Palestinians and Arabs refusing 2 state solutions, Arab state violence, Israel strong arm tactics, terrorist organizations attacking Israel, etc. My gosh, if we know anything we know the current way is not the answer.
tequila4kapp

Maybe it's shadow banned for being one sided misinformation.
MinotStateBeav
tequila4kapp said:

Maybe it's shadow banned for being one sided misinformation.
We should never be in favor of shadow banning or speech suppression ESPECIALLY with speech we disagree with. Point out where they are wrong or you think they are lying. Just an fyi I didn't read this article...but just as an overall point. Unless that speech is a call to violence against a person or persons.
smh
yesterday's Obama middle-east commentary (booth bait)..
https://barackobama.medium.com/my-statement-on-israel-and-gaza-a6c397f09a30
trailing bit..
Quote:

.. .. It means acknowledging that Palestinians have also lived in disputed territories for generations; that many of them were not only displaced when Israel was formed but continue to be forcibly displaced by a settler movement that too often has received tacit or explicit support from the Israeli government; that Palestinian leaders who've been willing to make concessions for a two-state solution have too often had little to show for their efforts; and that it is possible for people of good will to champion Palestinian rights and oppose certain Israeli government policies in the West Bank and Gaza without being anti-semitic.
wifeisafurd
smh said:

yesterday's Obama middle-east commentary (booth bait)..
https://barackobama.medium.com/my-statement-on-israel-and-gaza-a6c397f09a30
trailing bit..
Quote:

.. .. It means acknowledging that Palestinians have also lived in disputed territories for generations; that many of them were not only displaced when Israel was formed but continue to be forcibly displaced by a settler movement that too often has received tacit or explicit support from the Israeli government; that Palestinian leaders who've been willing to make concessions for a two-state solution have too often had little to show for their efforts; and that it is possible for people of good will to champion Palestinian rights and oppose certain Israeli government policies in the West Bank and Gaza without being anti-semitic.

I agree with the context of Obama's entire speech, but even he would be upset by the way you cherry-picked his comments. He basically calls for regime change from Hamas, and acknowledges that will be brutal.
BearGoggles
KPG said:

BearGoggles, I respectfully disagree that because Israelis don't see themselves as colonialists it's irrelevant to asset as such or that it asserts that Israelis can't even be victims since they're colonialists, but that's fine.

If you assert that there can never be peace while Hamas is in charge, that co-existing with Hamas is no longer an option, then I must say I'm a bit baffled that you don't support getting rid of Netanyahu and think that I just irrationally hate the guy. As a 49ers fan, I think it's perfectly rational to hate a loud-mouth who spent his formative years in a Philadelphia suburb! Have you seen the average Eagles fan?

But all jokes aside, Netanyahu and his current ultra far-right Orthodox extremist governing coalition are awful for peace, awful for their historic support of Hamas, and awful for their inflammatory policies. Why would you support a Prime Minister who has tried to repeatedly propp up Hamas, and has said as much?

"Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas," the prime minister reportedly said at a 2019 meeting of his Likud party. "This is part of our strategy to isolate the Palestinians in Gaza from the Palestinians in the West Bank."

It takes two to tango and to negotiate for peace, and purposefully and deliberately splitting the Palestinians between Fatah and Hamas, supporting Hamas, and then using Hamas' extremism as the reason why a two-state solution will never work has proven to be a horrific, horrific strategic mis-calculation.

I'm not sure how you are optimistic that whatever comes next after Hamas will be less extreme or what historic precedent that is based off of, but gee I hope you're right.

That being said, here we are, day 18 I think of ceaseless bombing in Gaza, likely 6,000 minimum dead, tens of thousands of more injured, and hundreds of thousands displaced, and just today, Israel suffered the worst barrage of missile strikes of the conflict.

So clearly this strategy of carpet bombing and collectively punishing civilians isn't working. Hamas is saying it has 30,000 to 40,000 fighters ready to engage, I've heard figures that there are hundreds if not thousands of miles of subterranean tunnels, and that they have months of food. The water is still off, aid is hardly trickling in, people are starving, hospitals are out of fuel, and American naval and land forces are under siege in Iraq, Syria, and the Red Sea.

So carpet bombing civilians isn't destroying Hamas. Escalating the war into Gaza will prove incredibly bloody, and will lead to further escalation, as militant groups aligned with Iran say they will escalate further if Israel does. Hostages are still alive! Elderly hostages were just released yesterday and spoke of their relatively humane treatment following their hellish abduction.

So I don't see Hamas getting removed any time soon without a serious tactical change.

You also allude to needing to reign in Iran and Qatar. Who needs to reign them in? Us? If the objective is to reign them in diplomatically, we've kinda pivoted our entire diplomatic focus to southeast Asia with to Indo-Pacific Strategy, where our diplomatic focus is on strengthening the ties of India, Japan, Australia with us to check China's growing regional and global power. We have essentially abandoned a role in leadership of diplomacy in the middle east and Iran and Russia are more than happy to rush in and fill that void. We couldn't even get a meeting with Jordan when Biden went to the region! The more the indiscriminate civilian massacres continue in Gaza, the more horrified the entire world and Middle East become, and the more they start to blame the US as enabled of this atrocity. Even countries like Saudi Arabia that has similar strategic aims as us, they seek to continue the global order status quo, use Israel as a useful bulwark against Iran, can't meet with us openly since there's such public disgust for our current 'brand' of freedom and democracy right now. And they are cozying up further to Iran who helped extricate them for the mess they got into in Yemen, and enjoying popularity in the Muslim world right now which is a valuable currency they don't want to flush down the toilet, especially when they rightly see the power vacuum we've left, and view themselves as the rightful regional ascendant power rather than Iran.

So if we can't lead diplomatically in the region to reign in Iran, can we do it militarily?

We spent six months preparing for the war on Iraq, amassing troops, establishing supply lines, aligning a 'global coalition'.

We maxed out with 176,000 coalition troops on the ground at the peak, having committed over 584,000 coalition troops, of which 466,000 were Americans throughout the duration of the war. We had a staging ground in Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Bahrain, the UAE and enjoyed a politically isolated Iraq, and support from local military groups to the north in Iraqi Kurdistan. We had six aircraft carrier battle groups deployed in the Middle East and 1,200 aircraft, and flew aircraft from 30 different bases. We had a clear objective, albeit a stupid one in hindsight of removing WMDs that were never found, 'liberating Iraq' and creating a democracy, which we never achieved. As of 2008, the Harvard Kennedy School of Government estimated the cost of the War in Iraq at $3,000,000,000,000 - $3 trillion dollars. Who knows what we've spent in the region since then!

And all of this was to destroy the Iraqi army, isolated, acting without regional allies, and in a relatively flat country.

Now we have a few thousand troops scattered, we have directly or at minimum indirectly through our presence created, funded, or inspired countless local militia groups, some funded by the US, many funded by Iran. We have been funding a proxy war against Russia in Ukraine for years, and we have already stretched our military thin with twenty years of warfare in Iraq and Afghanistan and Syria. Meanwhile Iran has created incredibly strong diplomatic ties and strong militias that orbit around Tehran one way or another - either ideologically, through funding, or through common objectives. The Houthis in Yemen are rearing to join in the fray against the US. The Iranian territory in mountainous and easily defensible, oh, and Iran is a nuclear power supported by Russia, a nuclear power. After Israel bombed civilian airports in Syria for fear of Iran resupplying Hezbollah using them, the Russians rolled out the red carpet for Iran to begin using the Russian air base in western Syria.

And now we've spend untold billions in Ukraine, and are mostly worried about China, where we have most of our current naval forces deployed to keep China in check around Taiwan. Any further pivot away from southeast Asian threatens Biden and the US main strategic imperative of the Indo-Pacific Strategy. Maybe we can move a few more carrier groups over and put sailors in harm's way of Iran proxy militias and completely cede Taiwan to China.

So to summarize, Hamas is militarily as strong as they were when this bombing began. In order to get rid of Hamas, it will require a greater escalation, which will push us closer into a regional war with Iran's proxy armies. We have no diplomatic ground to stand on in the region. We aren't nearly prepared for such a war with Iran, we don't have clear strategic objectives, and the area is much more aligned against us militarily and diplomatically then it was in 2003, when we had to spend an incredible amount of resources with meticulous planning and global support to topple a much weaken opponent.

Even if I fully agreed with every single thing you said, that Hamas MUST go no matter the cost, that Iran needs to be reined in, I literally just don't see the pathway for that given the current regional dynamics other than wishful thinking.
I never said I support Netanyahu or oppose getting rid of him. Its odd that you keep going back to him, as if he's the reason Hamas exists. Did Bibi cause Hamas to massacre people on 10/7 - or did Hamas, the Muslim Brotherhood, Qatar and Iran have something to do with that? You do the "but Bibi" the way many people say "but Trump". Is just a distraction that you can't get away from because you hate him.

But even assuming for the moment that you're correct and Netanyahu supported Hamas for cynical reasons and is a current obstacle to peace. You're ignoring a few keys facts - Netanyahu is democratically elected and, more importantly, can be removed via popular vote (as he has in the past). And he will certainly be done politically after this war because he will be blamed. He's politically dead for good.

There are mechanisms for change in Israel and a large left that very much is pro-peace. Israel has shown it will make peace under the correct circumstances. The right leaning parties are not guaranteed to remain in power - far from it. And of course it was Likud (right leaning) that made peace before.

In stark contrast, Gaza will never change as long as Hamas (which will never hold elections) retains power by force. If you care for Gazans, you should want Hamas to be removed at all costs. I disagree that Hams is militarily "as strong" - but that is irrelevant.

In terms of Iran, this is all traceable to the Obama/Biden policy which sought to normalize the Iran regime and bolster its economy. Iran is behind all of this and many other middle east instability (Yemen, Syria, Lebanon, and Hamas). I agree there is/was no coherent policy. Obama and his spawn (which includes Biden) have been too proud and stubborn to admit the fallacy of their policy. Iran's current regime will never change - for many of the same reasons Hamas's will not change (religion and grievance). That doesn't mean we should attack Iran. But we should restore a full embargo and immediately respond firmly to provocations. Iran surrogates (Yemen and Hezbollah) have been launching missiles at US forces. Biden has been passive and Iran doesn't fear him. Trump was crazy - but Iran feared him. And that was important.

The best way to avoid a war with Iran is to make sure Iran understands it will lose. Biden has lost all deterrence and financial leverage. Iran is emboldened and unless the US pushes back, they will continue to exploit the void.

I understand you think there is no "pathway". What is your solution? Israel accepting Hamas as a continued government? The US backing down to Iran's threats? What is your proposed strategy and how does it end?
smh
> I agree with the context of Obama's entire speech, but even he would be upset by the way you cherry-picked his comments

ohh-kay, but the shared quote was barackobama.medium.com's only designated "Top highlight" fwiw
going4roses
"Divine Racism"

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8kbJjka/

I know the clip is speed up but he makes some plausible points
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.