The Non-Yogi Israel-Palestine war thread

189,392 Views | 2533 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by tequila4kapp
movielover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal88
movielover said:

Sorry ML, but this is complete BS, the level of gaslighting in that kind of propaganda is off the charts, much worse than anything associated with Ukraine.

Fact is, the entire right-wing media apparatus is rabidly zionist, they present an alternative false reality that has fed neocon wars and unfettered AIPAC control over US foreign policy. That control is not just based on being the most powerful lobby in DC, but even more so on being able to so thoroughly shape US public opinion, they have had a near-monopoly on the media, particularly in right wing outlets.

The reason why the campus protests appeared is that social media (and particularly Tiktok) broke through this media monopoly. As a result, college students at the better schools across the US are today far better informed of what is really going on in Gaza and Palestine than the average older citizen. This applies not just to the right wing, but also to the average centrist and Democrat.

The number of right-wing media outlets that are systematically, fanatically "pro-Israel" is actually astonishing:

-Fox News
-Daily Wire
-Newsmax
-The Post Millennial
-PragerU
-Breitbart
-Washington Free Beacon
-Rebel News
-Epoch Times
-Babylon Bee
-New York Post
-National Review
-WorldNetDaily
-Washington Times
-Washington Examiner
-One America News
-Real America's Voice
-Christian Broadcasting Network
-The Blaze
-Daily Mail
-The Free Press
-The Federalist
-Gateway Pundit
-Salem Radio Network
-Right Side Broadcasting Network
-Western Journal
-Human Events
-RedState
-PJ Media
-Hot Air
-Twitchy
-Townhall
-Drudge Report
-Daily Caller

"America is something that you can easily maneuver and move in the right direction... 80% of Americans support us. It's absurd."
bear2034
Cal88 said:

The number of right-wing media outlets that are systematically, fanatically "pro-Israel" is actually astonishing:

These outlets were considered systematically and fanatically pro-Russia and now they're also systematically and fanatically pro-Israel?
Cal88
bear2034 said:

Cal88 said:

These outlets were considered systematically and fanatically pro-Russia and now they're also systematically and fanatically pro-Israel?

All of these outlets have always been fanatically pro-Israel, and that list is not even exhaustive. for example the WSJ isn't on it.

Andrew Breitbart with his pal Bibi.

Note however that a number of these outlets, like the National Review or the Daily Mail, are notoriously anti-Russian and neoconservative, as are most of the "conservatives" that appear on Sunday morning shows (Geroge Will, Peggy Noonan, David Brooks, Bill Kristol etc).

There is certainly more diversity of opinion overall on Russia/Ukraine in those conservative outlets than on Israel/Palestine, where any contributor who wavers on their unconditional support for the Israeli line gets fired (see Tucker Carlson or Candace Owens).
The Ghoul

Quote:

"The Israelis are becoming increasingly like the white supremacist South Africans, viewing the Palestinians as a lower form of life, not hesitating to kill a great many of them and justifying this on the grounds that they are being the objects of terrorism."

The Ghoul
CaliforniaEternal said:

It's not that difficult to understand people. If Hamas hadn't launched their murderous rampage on Oct 7th, there would be no war.

bearister
"Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., on Sunday compared Israel's war against Hamas to the U.S. decision to drop atomic bombs on Japan in World War II during an interview on NBC News' "Meet the Press."

"When we were faced with destruction as a nation after Pearl Harbor, fighting the Germans and the Japanese, we decided to end the war by the bombing [of] Hiroshima [and] Nagasaki with nuclear weapons," Graham said. "That was the right decision."

Sen. Lindsey Graham says Israel should do 'whatever' it has to while comparing the war in Gaza to Hiroshima and Nagasaki

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/sen-lindsey-graham-says-israel-whatever-comparing-war-gaza-hiroshima-n-rcna151828
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
CaliforniaEternal
Tonight's Israel Memorial Day ceremony at the Western Wall honored the 1,594 soldiers and civilians killed in the past year. My Hebrew isn't great, but it's a very solemn and moving ceremony. There's really something about a small country coming together, it feels very personal with every family affected in some way.

Cal88
Israeli civilians actively starving their 2 million-strong hostage population -

concordtom
Old Testament: an eye for an eye.
New Testament: turn thy cheek.

I think there's a reason why Christianity became so popular. The Old Testament doesn't really work. You merely end up with endless wars (or endless personal relationship turmoil).

Forgiveness is the path forward.

dajo9
sycasey said:

There is some evidence that Trump's base is isolationist, but that is not the same as anti-war.

I'll give you an example. What should the U.S. do if China invades Taiwan? I'd support economic sanctions but nothing militarily.

What would MAGAts support?
1. If Traitor Trump is President they'll support whatever he does.
2. If a Democrat is President they'll oppose whatever s/he does.

Actual policy is irrelevant.
"The rules were that you were not going to fact check"
MAGA
movielover
The Ghoul

Cal88
The lives of tens of thousands of Gazans suffering from malnutrition teetering on the brink.

Big C
concordtom said:

I think there's a reason why Christianity became so popular. The Old Testament doesn't really work. You merely end up with endless wars (or endless personal relationship turmoil).

I know, right? Thank goodness the Christian countries haven't gotten involved in wars! Peace, baby.
concordtom
Big C said:

concordtom said:

I know, right? Thank goodness the Christian countries haven't gotten involved in wars! Peace, baby.

Of course they have. That's incredibly obvious. Apparently you missed the thesis of my post.
Try again and see if you can find it and comment on it.

What do you think I was trying to say when I posted that?
calbear93
concordtom said:

While I agree with your conclusion, you are really uneducated on the Bible despite you commenting incessantly on it. For example, you were even unaware that the first three books of the Old Testament are from the Torah.

The eye for an eye was a form of justice in Jewish culture where the punishment must fit the crime. Before, the concept from Egypt and other ruling countries was might makes right, with punishment exceeding the crime especially for the disenfranchised. It was a means of ensuring that punishment was not too harsh relative to the crime. But ultimately, God's position in the Old Testament was that the judgment was His and that He will hold all of us accountable on judgment day for all our actions. Punishment was not ours to exact. However, people would still seek retribution, so God's instructions were to keep punishment aligned with the actual crime.

Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, where he teaches about believers not relying on just strict compliance with the rule but in the changing of the heart, was about moving beyond action. As he stated, he didn't add or detract a single law. You are not saved just because you don't murder. You are committing the same sin when you have anger in your heart. You are not saved because you don't commit physical adultery. You commit the same sin when you have lust in your heart. It is not enough to love those who love you. The Good Samaritan was a rebuke against the strict followers of the law with worldly heart. The leaders walked past the man who had been robbed and attacked. It was only the stranger from Samaria - the region Jewish people thought were full of evil people, who stopped and spent a month's wage to care for the person who should have been his enemy. Same with turning the other cheek. Who does that? Really? Anyone here? Forget the words, do you treat the person who has most wronged you as yourself - meaning put that person on equal footing in need as your needs? OF course not.

The whole point is that we cannot be saved through our own actions or our own conviction. No one is deserving of being saved based on that standard. So, we are saved not by our actions but by our faith. And once justified by faith, we are sanctified by the spirit changing our hearts and not just our actions.

You really need to stop writing about religion (both Jewish and Christian) without doing some basic reading and gaining some basic understanding.

We can complain about ignorance of the voters and those who buy into conspiracy. How does that happen? When people shoot first with false knowledge before they gain actual knowledge, and acting like experts on somethings with which they don't even have basic understanding.

Not meant as a rebuke other than asking you to gain some humility (I know - odd coming from me) and curiosity and learn about the facts instead of spreading ignorance.

Thanks in advance.
concordtom
First,
Before I continue reading, I do NOT incessantly post about the Bible. I incessantly post about Trump's criminality, the insanity of MAGA crowd who are manipulated by entertainment TV Foxnews, that mankind behaves heavily off subconscious triggers, and my imaginations about Trump being guillotined, eaten by rats in jail or otherwise dying from a simple heart attack. You may accuse me of that, but not of religious matters.
concordtom
calbear93 said:

concordtom said:

While I agree with your conclusion, you are really uneducated on the Bible despite you commenting incessantly on it. For example, you were even unaware that the first three books of the Old Testament are from the Torah.

The eye for an eye was a form of justice in Jewish culture where the punishment must fit the crime. Before, the concept from Egypt and other ruling countries was might makes right, with punishment exceeding the crime especially for the disenfranchised. It was a means of ensuring that punishment was not too harsh relative to the crime. But ultimately, God's position in the Old Testament was that the judgment was His and that He will hold all of us accountable on judgment day for all our actions. Punishment was not ours to exact. However, people would still seek retribution, so God's instructions were to keep punishment aligned with the actual crime.

Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, where he teaches about believers not relying on just strict compliance with the rule but in the changing of the heart, was about moving beyond action. As he stated, he didn't add or detract a single law. You are not saved just because you don't murder. You are committing the same sin when you have anger in your heart. You are not saved because you don't commit physical adultery. You commit the same sin when you have lust in your heart. It is not enough to love those who love you. The Good Samaritan was a rebuke against the strict followers of the law with worldly heart. The leaders walked past the man who had been robbed and attacked. It was only the stranger from Samaria - the region Jewish people thought were full of evil people, who stopped and spent a month's wage to care for the person who should have been his enemy. Same with turning the other cheek. Who does that? Really? Anyone here? Forget the words, do you treat the person who has most wronged you as yourself - meaning put that person on equal footing in need as your needs? OF course not.

The whole point is that we cannot be saved through our own actions or our own conviction. No one is deserving of being saved based on that standard. So, we are saved not by our actions but by our faith. And once justified by faith, we are sanctified by the spirit changing our hearts and not just our actions.

You really need to stop writing about religion (both Jewish and Christian) without doing some basic reading and gaining some basic understanding.

We can complain about ignorance of the voters and those who buy into conspiracy. How does that happen? When people shoot first with false knowledge before they gain actual knowledge, and acting like experts on somethings with which they don't even have basic understanding.

Not meant as a rebuke other than asking you to gain some humility (I know - odd coming from me) and curiosity and learn about the facts instead of spreading ignorance.

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to wait and see if Big C or anyone else can say why I posted by comment.
But first, yes I knew.
Enjoyed reading (truly) your esteemed biblical scholarly review in the first couple paragraphs, but where you revert to trashing me and making assumptions or untrue statements of me is both garbage and not very Christ-like of you. Shame on you.

Finally, glad to know that after all your add, YOU AGREED WITH ME. full stop
calbear93
concordtom said:

calbear93 said:

concordtom said:

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to wait and see if Big C or anyone else can say why I posted by comment.
But first, yes I knew.
Enjoyed reading (truly) your esteemed biblical scholarly review in the first couple paragraphs, but where you revert to trashing me and making assumptions or untrue statements of me is both garbage and not very Christ-like of you. Shame on you.

Me asking you to not make assumptions and pass those off as facts is not me trashing you.

It is me asking you to be humble and ask questions if you are not an expert instead of writing as if you are one. That's how ignorance is spread, and I am really tired of people making important decisions based on some fake facts they read on the internet.

But I agree with you that the world can use more forgiveness. Not seeing a lot of that from anyone here.
bearister
"โ€ฆโ€ฆ and not very Christ-like of you."

Not very Christ like? Isn't that a foundational tenet of the Evangelical movement?
calbear93
bearister said:

Not very Christ like? Isn't that a foundational tenet of the Evangelical movement?
You are mistaking us for Catholics (JK, Bearister).
concordtom
bearister said:

The evangelicals are, I suppose, my dominant Christian foundations.
Did you see The Family on Netflix?
I know those people, I lived there, and my stepfather was closely aligned.

But yeah, it was a joking slur.
Big C
concordtom said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Of course they have. That's incredibly obvious. Apparently you missed the thesis of my post.

I'm not gonna lie: If I misunderstood something, it wouldn't be the first time (or the second, or the third, or the ... )

Having read it once, and rather casually at that, I thought your point was that Christianity tends to be more peaceful than Judaism, because of the difference between the Old Testament and the New Testament.

At some point, I will maybe go back and look again. Or you could just lay it out for me.
concordtom
calbear93 said:

concordtom said:

calbear93 said:

concordtom said:

Thanks in advance.

But first, yes I knew.

Me asking you to not make assumptions and pass those off as facts is not me trashing you.

It is me asking you to be humble and ask questions if you are not an expert instead of writing as if you are one. That's how ignorance is spread, and I am really tired of people making important decisions based on some fake facts they read on the internet.

But I agree with you that the world can use more forgiveness. Not seeing a lot of that from anyone here.

I think I wrote 6 generalized summation lines, which you agreed with.
How is that trying to pass myself off as some expert??

I never have been a (deep) student of the Bible. And I today reject the things we are asked to take as faith. However, I definitely believe that there are wise moral codes based on generations of learnings which should be heeded!

Too often, we throw out the wisdom because we can't buy the unbelievable miracles. I try to capture what's worthwhile without being hoodwinked by the mob mentality which forces me to believe he:
Walked on water
Commanded the weather
Raised Lazarus
Arose himself after 3 days
Was the spontaneous pregnancy of a virgin mother, (although if you follow some species we've learned about recently)โ€ฆ.

I think the group think of Christianity is not much different than the group think of the most extreme MAGAnites. That's how humans work. Is that a hot take? Well, some have called both "cults".

You asking me to be humble is an excellent request!
concordtom
Big C said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

I'm not gonna lie: If I misunderstood something, it wouldn't be the first time (or the second, or the third, or the ... )

Having read it once, and rather casually at that, I thought your point was that Christianity tends to be more peaceful than Judaism, because of the difference between the Old Testament and the New Testament.

At some point, I will maybe go back and look again. Or you could just lay it out for me.

Great. Thanks for the reply.

I certainly did not intend that any one religious group is more peaceful than another. History shows that is simple folly.

I was referring to Jesus quote "you've heard an eye for an eye, but now I tell you a new way, turn the other cheek, give the shirt off your back".

Apologies for butchering the quote. The biblical scholar(s) here can correct me.

And my point, IN THIS THREAD, is to point out (or, a response to) the following:

People in Gaza commit a horrible crime of mutder and hostage taking upon thy neighbor. I think the toll was 1300??
And then the people of Israel wage war to the toll ofโ€ฆ. How many Gazans are dead now? Their ****ty city is completely obliterated.

What
The
Puck
Is
Israel
Doing???????????????

So, this is not forgiveness (New Testament).
This is not limited to an eye for an eye (Old Testament).
This is what "93" referred to, which I knew nothing about, where before eye for eye it was bodies for an eye.

And what I was saying, the point of my early morning 6 line post, is that this is going to get Israel NOWHERE!! They are FOOLS if they think fighting in a rough neighborhood is a solution.

And further, their next would-be retaliators will also get them NOWHERE.

Jesus' teaching was that forgiveness is the true path forward.
concordtom
Israel needs to find a Peace.
That task is now in order of magnitudes more difficult now that they've destroyed Gaza.

And for those who might suggest that various Arab groups have broken past peaces, I don't care.

Israel is surrounded, and they are going to go down eventually. They haven't found a Peace. They are wealthier than those around them, and they have not developed decades of good will. It's a failed experiment. It seems just a matter of time.

But then, ooo goodie, doesn't that mean the rapture is right around the corner? We all (only the sexy ones) get to party forever in Heaven!
Big C
concordtom said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Great. Thanks for the reply.

I certainly did not intend that any one religious group is more peaceful than another. History shows that is simple folly.

I was referring to Jesus quote "you've heard an eye for an eye, but now I tell you a new way, turn the other cheek, give the shirt off your back".

Apologies for butchering the quote. The biblical scholar(s) here can correct me.

And my point, IN THIS THREAD, is to point out (or, a response to) the following:

People in Gaza commit a horrible crime of mutder and hostage taking upon thy neighbor. I think the toll was 1300??
And then the people of Israel wage war to the toll ofโ€ฆ. How many Gazans are dead now? Their ****ty city is completely obliterated.

What
The
Puck
Is
Israel
Doing???????????????

So, this is not forgiveness (New Testament).
This is not limited to an eye for an eye (Old Testament).
This is what "93" referred to, which I knew nothing about, where before eye for eye it was bodies for an eye.

And what I was saying, the point of my early morning 6 line post, is that this is going to get Israel NOWHERE!! They are FOOLS if they think fighting in a rough neighborhood is a solution.

And further, their next would-be retaliators will also get them NOWHERE.

Jesus' teaching was that forgiveness is the true path forward.

Yes, I have said since about October 8th or 9th that Israel has responded in a way that is not going to work out well for them (in addition to killing a lot of people, many of whom are completely innocent). True, they are kind of caught between a rock and a hard place, but a better approach would have been to spend more time amassing world public opinion on their side and then responding in a much more surgical, proportionate manner.

It's very unfortunate.
bearister
" Israel is surrounded, and they are going to go down eventually."

They have a fleet of German made subs armed with nuclear missiles so until AI figures out a way to track and destroy said subs, Israel isn't going anywhere. By the time AI figures that problem out, the robots will have either nuked all of mankind or turned us into slaves.
BearGoggles
Kind of weird that nobody has posted about the UN reducing civilian/child casualties by 50%. Who would have thought that Hamas' ministry of health was lying?

The Ghoul
BearGoggles said:

Kind of weird that nobody has posted about the UN reducing civilian/child casualties by 50%. Who would have thought that Hamas' ministry of health was lying?

I was actually just waiting for the first dumbass to take that bait so I could laugh at them. Congratulations on being that dumbass.

concordtom
bearister said:

" Israel is surrounded, and they are going to go down eventually."

They have a fleet of German made subs armed with nuclear missiles so until AI figures out a way to track and destroy said subs, Israel isn't going anywhere. By the time AI figures that problem out, the robots will have either nuked all of mankind or turned us into slaves.

Any nation state that uses them is doomed. Especially one surrounded on 4 sides.
CaliforniaEternal
Happy 76th Birthday to the State of Israel!!! Despite its small size, Israel is one of the most dynamic countries on Earth. Truly a remarkable country that is just getting started.

Zippergate
Biden has been protecting Hamas?

https://redstate.com/bonchie/2024/05/12/bombshell-biden-administration-has-been-holding-back-intel-from-israel-on-location-of-hamas-leaders-n2174088

"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up" --Barack Hussein Obama
concordtom
Actually, I thought the initial Gazans invasion into Israel was part of Biden's plotting.
Come on, you guys are getting lazy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.