Off Topic
Sponsored by

Soccer Topics: No goalies in the USA

200,131 Views | 3035 Replies | Last: 55 min ago by sluggo
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1-1 late in the game in Nations League action, PSG star Doue beats Courtois



Nice header puts Italy ahead over Turkey


edit - shame those links don't stay long
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Down 1-0 at home France scores 4 goals in the final 15min!... Olise with a brilliant assist, followed by 2 more Olise goals, the guy is something else.

Watch the assist on the 4th goal:
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zidane doing Zidane thing on the sideline.

sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is so funny the "debate" as to whether Sullivan will be called in November. He is not a prospect, he is the best right winger and in the top 6 of all players (Sullivan, Tillman, Freeman, McKennie, Pulisic, Balogun in some order). The only debate is whether his age will be held against him, and I don't think it will be.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/50115630
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sluggo said:

This is so funny the "debate" as to whether Sullivan will be called in November. He is not a prospect, he is the best right winger and in the top 6 of all players (Sullivan, Tillman, Freeman, McKennie, Pulisic, Balogun in some order). The only debate is whether his age will be held against him, and I don't think it will be.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/50115630


Yeah it's ridiculous. I'm fairly sure Pochettino has got to be smarter than these guys. Hell, I'll say that the November competitive camp should probably also include a couple other youngsters too - definitely GK Kochen, but at least one or two others between Pierre, Albert, Ellis, Hall and maybe Miller and Raines. Would love to say Mehmeti too, but he needs to show something against Canada, or maybe stay at the Olympic/U-23 level for a bit.

By the way, I'm surprised you didn't word it as Sullivan being in the "top 7" of all US players and include Reyna. For me, I would say "top 8" and include both Reyna and Richards, thiugh Richards may be borderline. These 8 are no-brainers and should all start as often as possible and get tons of minutes in the US November camp for CONCACAF Nations League. They are the top US players *right now*, regardless of how much they may improve in the future.
sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OneKeg said:

sluggo said:

This is so funny the "debate" as to whether Sullivan will be called in November. He is not a prospect, he is the best right winger and in the top 6 of all players (Sullivan, Tillman, Freeman, McKennie, Pulisic, Balogun in some order). The only debate is whether his age will be held against him, and I don't think it will be.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/50115630


Yeah it's ridiculous. I'm fairly sure Pochettino has got to be smarter than these guys. Hell, I'll say that the November competitive camp should probably also include a couple other youngsters too - definitely GK Kochen, but at least one or two others between Pierre, Albert, Ellis, Hall and maybe Miller and Raines. Would love to say Mehmeti too, but he needs to show something against Canada, or maybe stay at the Olympic/U-23 level for a bit.

By the way, I'm surprised you didn't word it as Sullivan being in the "top 7" of all US players and include Reyna. For me, I would say "top 8" and include both Reyna and Richards, thiugh Richards may be borderline. These 8 are no-brainers and should all start as often as possible and get tons of minutes in the US November camp for CONCACAF Nations League. They are the top US players *right now*, regardless of how much they may improve in the future.

I always mess up in some way. Top 7 with Reyna. These are all excellent players. I think Richards is a starter who will (should) be replaced by Pierre by 2030.

I think Kochen and Ellis also belong on the team right now. The others should be on the U23s or U20s, I think.

Gabriel Wesseh is starting to get some buzz. I think this is a rabona dribble, something new to me. He is on the U19s right now but a few U19s will be brought up to the U20s for the U20 WC next year.

sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lineup is okay but mostly backups. Except Reyna who now starts every game. I can't believe the hapless Schwake is starting. Would have loved to see Pierre. Canada mostly with backups, too.

sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At halftime:
1. Score is better than the play.
2. US struggling to break the press. Problems are Raines, Trusty, Mathis, and to some extent Musah. Poch got it wrong again.
3. US flipped its normal formation. It is the 4-2-3-1 like usual, the the right back (Freeman) is roaming when usually the left back (Robinson) roams.
4. The refereeing is atrocious. I hope Reyna does not get hurt.
5. Schwake has not been challenged.
6. If I had to bet my life on it, I would say Ellis was offside, but it was very close.
7. Playing all big athletic backs has its advantages.
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice save there!
sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vince of the Scuffed podcast has it right. The US is not creating chances against good teams. Tonight was rough. We have to stop putting players on the field who cannot break the press. We have 3.75 years, so I will not worry for now. To the players:
Schwake: Does this mean he has passed Freese? He had one difficult save to make and he did not make it. We can debate whether he touched the ball before it the hit the cross bar, but he did not hit it hard enough to be sure to keep it out. I can't believe he gets minutes.
Trusty: Good defense, abysmal at breaking the press. Cannot play him at left back against a real team.
Richards: Solid.
Campbell: Solid. I think he makes the Nations League team and is part of our center back rotation.
Freeman: Stud. A Premier League starting back.
Reyna; Yes. Was the only midfielder who could break the press. Glad he did not get hurt.
Raines: Could not break the press at all. Was better in the offensive half. Speed is really helpful. Might have a future with the team but right now is not there.
Albert: Nope. I know he is young but I am not sure about him, he is certainly not ready now.
Musah: Had an off game. This is the bad version of Musah, I think he is better than he showed tonight.
Tillman: Seemed tired, not up to his usual standard.
Ellis: The sole striker cannot do much when the team cannot break the press. Did a good job being in position on the goal. Got hacked, which further slowed him down. He is a keeper.
Berhalter: Awful.
Dest: I do not know if it is the injury or being overshadowed by Sullivan but he is not right.
Hall: Made a nice run then one-on-one hit the side netting. He will drive me crazy. Ellis is much better.
Adams: Did Tyler Adams things.
C. Campbell: Has nothing, showed nothing. Would have like to see Gozo again.
Mehmeti: Not very involved.
Pierre: Again showed he belonged. I hope he is in Nations League in November, he deserves it.
Robinson: Got dusted once that could have led to a goal. Otherwise had little impact.

For next game I would give $500 to Doctors Without Borders to turn off Melissa Ortiz's mic.

Overall, it was a good two week showing. I think we found a goalie. And if we count generously we are at eight players who can play at the top level. We need seven more. There is time. I think Ellis will be the ninth. Maybe Johnny Cardoso as tenth.

OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, that was brutal. Other than the win. Good job by Canada for realizing that their aggressive, borderline dirty (or maybe a little beyond the border) play and press at the 30m level was going to stifle the US the way Mexico did in the first half of Saturday's match. The book is out on how to play the US. Belgium did it, Mexico did it for a while, Canada did it. Belgium just had the quality to finish their chances and punish the US.

So - a bad job by Canada for not knowing how to turn that stifling press into enough opportunities or finish the opportunities they did get. Granted, they were missing some of their better players, but then so were the US. Balogun probably finishes the chance that Hall put into the side netting. Funny that Canada dominated the whole match except the scoreboard AND the expected goals stat.

Man of the match: Alex Freeman. Shut down that Schaffle-whatever winger with the mustache when they were matched up and took the ball away from him. Beautiful run and assist on the lone goal of the match.

Good: Gio Reyna and Justin Ellis. Ellis I could have put in the average category, but he scored, and he gutted it out past an injury. The 11 Yanks and Tactical Manager guys brought up a question: does Pulisic play through that injury? I think we already know the answer. (Not that we don't need Pulisic, but I'm bringing this up as praise for Ellis). As for Gio - I see it now. He was the main person on the field that could break the press.

Average (or up and down): Schwake, Richards, Tillman, Adams, Pierre, George Campbell and maybe Mehmeti (small sample size). For me, average was encouraging for Pierre - after one bad pass right after he came in, he was quite good, including on the ball, which is what we need him to get better at. He of course won aerial duels. By contrast, average for Tillman really means below average by his standards. As for my guy Campbell, I would say he was decent on D but struggled on the ball and made some bad passes, but so did everyone, and I bump Campbell up to average because he made the long pass that could have led to a Hall goal.

Below Average: A. Robinson, Trusty. Yes Trusty was good on D but poor on the ball. I do think his play dropped off after he suffered a head injury but kept playing (like Ellis).

Bad: Musah (why was he at right wing?), Raines (zero press break as you said), Albert, Berhalter, Dest, Hall, Cole Campbell. Dest really disappointed me. I think Albert has the potential to eventually be good on the senior team, but he needs to get a loan from Dortmund to a lesser team so he can play. He was trying too hard, having gotten his first start with the USMNT and never getting playing time for Dortmund. Forcing it and not letting the game come to him.

It's really hard to say what this all means for 2030, but I would say for the November competitive camp with two matches against Haiti for the CONCACAF Nations League, we need to call up the following youngsters in my opinion, all of whom would be cap tied if they play:
- Cavan Sullivan (should start)
- Justin Ellis
- Diego Kochen (should start)
- Neil Pierre - would be ironic to cap tie him against his other potential country. Maybe start him 1 game.
- And yes Julian Hall... we can beat Haiti without while letting Pepi recover from his injury. We need to understand what we have in Hall and cap tie him while we're at it. He can be Balogun's backup if and when we play Ellis as a 10.
- And maybe Mehmeti... cap tie him with some minutes, hopefully with a multi-goal lead at the end of a match. Holding middies would be Adams, Tillman (since we play him there when it matters), Cardoso (if fully recovered by then), Mehmeti and... dunno... maybe Musah, though I am not high on him after this camp. Stop playing Musah at right wing.

The other youngsters should go to the Olympic U-23 camp with others like Tsakiris, Che and so on. I hope Miller can get moved to a mid-tier team in Europe, perhaps in the EFL Championship league or Dutch Eredivisie or something which will actually play him as a left fullback instead of wing where he plays now. And Gozo needs a loan like nothing else - in his brief time against Peru, it looked like he has lost his confidence. I mean at this stage, can Crystal Palace loan him back to RSL?
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sluggo said:

Vince of the Scuffed podcast has it right. The US is not creating chances against good teams. Tonight was rough. We have to stop putting players on the field who cannot break the press. We have 3.75 years, so I will not worry for now. To the players:
Schwake: Does this mean he has passed Freese? He had one difficult save to make and he did not make it. We can debate whether he touched the ball before it the hit the cross bar, but he did not hit it hard enough to be sure to keep it out. I can't believe he gets minutes.
Trusty: Good defense, abysmal at breaking the press. Cannot play him at left back against a real team.
Richards: Solid.
Campbell: Solid. I think he makes the Nations League team and is part of our center back rotation.
Freeman: Stud. A Premier League starting back.
Reyna; Yes. Was the only midfielder who could break the press. Glad he did not get hurt.
Raines: Could not break the press at all. Was better in the offensive half. Speed is really helpful. Might have a future with the team but right now is not there.
Albert: Nope. I know he is young but I am not sure about him, he is certainly not ready now.
Musah: Had an off game. This is the bad version of Musah, I think he is better than he showed tonight.
Tillman: Seemed tired, not up to his usual standard.
Ellis: The sole striker cannot do much when the team cannot break the press. Did a good job being in position on the goal. Got hacked, which further slowed him down. He is a keeper.
Berhalter: Awful.
Dest: I do not know if it is the injury or being overshadowed by Sullivan but he is not right.
Hall: Made a nice run then one-on-one hit the side netting. He will drive me crazy. Ellis is much better.
Adams: Did Tyler Adams things.
C. Campbell: Has nothing, showed nothing. Would have like to see Gozo again.
Mehmeti: Not very involved.
Pierre: Again showed he belonged. I hope he is in Nations League in November, he deserves it.
Robinson: Got dusted once that could have led to a goal. Otherwise had little impact.

For next game I would give $500 to Doctors Without Borders to turn off Melissa Ortiz's mic.

Overall, it was a good two week showing. I think we found a goalie. And if we count generously we are at eight players who can play at the top level. We need seven more. There is time. I think Ellis will be the ninth. Maybe Johnny Cardoso as tenth.




Schwake did make that save, it was a great reflex save on a perfectly placed volley by the Canadian defender.

sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Neither live nor or reply nor in your clip can I tell if he actually touched the ball. But even if he did, it hit the crossbar. He did not really get it solidly and push it away.
sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We basically agree on everything. Gozo can't go back because the season is almost over, but it is funny. I would call "solid" the players you called "average." They did their job. Musah was playing in the Reyna 8/10 role in the first half as Mathis and Tillman were wings. His passing was off and Berhalter came in so he got moved to wing, I think. The center backs allowed very few opportunities even if they did not provide much offensively. That is their first job. I am just speculating but Dest's injury may have messed him up mentally. He is no longer dangerous.
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sluggo said:

Vince of the Scuffed podcast has it right. The US is not creating chances against good teams. Tonight was rough. We have to stop putting players on the field who cannot break the press. We have 3.75 years, so I will not worry for now.

...



I agree this is a real problem. All of these teams have pressed the US in their own way and the US has not reacted well to it. Belgium was just the team with the quality to capitalize.

I will note that there is an error in the tweet from Scuffed (which does not negate the main point): Belgium was never up 3-0 on the US in the World Cup. It was 1-0 Belgium, then 1-1, then quickly 2-1 which was the halftime score. Belgium scored twice in the second half.
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On Schwake, to join the conversation with sluggo and Cal88, the barely tipped save against the crossbar was a good one (better than Kochen's one save against Mexico since it was closer range), but not a great save. A great save is to get more on it and tip it up over the crossbar and end the immediate danger. But overall, I thought Schwake played ok (I rated him as average), given his capabilities.

But I do want to note something. The US struggled mightily against Canada's press, and Schwake is part of the reason, not because of any big mistakes he made, but just because he, like all the US goalies not named Kochen, is not good with his feet. The US defenders and holding midfielders knew it, Canada's pressing offensive players knew it, and Schwake himself knew it.

He did not make any big mistakes, like I said, but it is at least a little harder to press the same US team if Kochen is playing, since the press is essentially 11-on-11 instead of 11-on-10.5. Very roughly analogous to how it is harder in American Football to defend a QB who can do all the same things but also gain yards with his feet. Schwake did not connect on basically any of his longer passes as Kochen has shown he can.
sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OneKeg said:

sluggo said:

Vince of the Scuffed podcast has it right. The US is not creating chances against good teams. Tonight was rough. We have to stop putting players on the field who cannot break the press. We have 3.75 years, so I will not worry for now.

...



I agree this is a real problem. All of these teams have pressed the US in their own way and the US has not reacted well to it. Belgium was just the team with the quality to capitalize.

I will note that there is an error in the tweet from Scuffed (which does not negate the main point): Belgium was never up 3-0 on the US in the World Cup. It was 1-0 Belgium, then 1-1, then quickly 2-1 which was the halftime score. Belgium scored twice in the second half.

In the bad old days the US used to be pressed to death and have no chance against good teams. I hate to see that coming back. I like to think Poch was experimenting rather than that he does not know who has the skills to break the press and who does not, since I know. Maybe it was a combination of both.
sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OneKeg said:

On Schwake, to join the conversation with sluggo and Cal88, the barely tipped save against the crossbar was a good one (better than Kochen's one save against Mexico since it was closer range), but not a great save. A great save is to get more on it and tip it up over the crossbar and end the immediate danger. But overall, I thought Schwake played ok (I rated him as average), given his capabilities.

But I do want to note something. The US struggled mightily against Canada's press, and Schwake is part of the reason, not because of any big mistakes he made, but just because he, like all the US goalies not named Kochen, is not good with his feet. The US defenders and holding midfielders knew it, Canada's pressing offensive players knew it, and Schwake himself knew it.

He did not make any big mistakes, like I said, but it is at least a little harder to press the same US team if Kochen is playing, since the press is essentially 11-on-11 instead of 11-on-10.5. Very roughly analogous to how it is harder in American Football to defend a QB who can do all the same things but also gain yards with his feet. Schwake did not connect on basically any of his longer passes as Kochen has shown he can.

On the Total Soccer Show I think they said Schwake was 2 for 18 on long passes over some range of games. I think your point is important. If he was some amazing shot stopper, I would understand being okay with his mediocre footwork, but he does not have the juice.

I was so pleased that Kochen was better than I thought. I knew he would have the foot skills, but I did not know his athleticism is top notch.
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sluggo said:

We basically agree on everything. Gozo can't go back because the season is almost over, but it is funny. I would call "solid" the players you called "average." They did their job. Musah was playing in the Reyna 8/10 role in the first half as Mathis and Tillman were wings. His passing was off and Berhalter came in so he got moved to wing, I think. The center backs allowed very few opportunities even if they did not provide much offensively. That is their first job. I am just speculating but Dest's injury may have messed him up mentally. He is no longer dangerous.

Yeah, for the Gozo transfer, I guess I meant in the January transfer window, could he transfer back to RSL for the one-time sprint season as MLS realigns their schedule? In the meantime, Gozo should just play for Crystal Palace's U-23s. Since I have been watching him for RSL, my immediate first impression was just "above average MLS player" and unfortunately, nothing has swayed my opinion in the positive direction. I think Palace made a mistake, and so did Gozo for grossly overestimating his own talent and going there. I think he's likely better than he has shown and may improve quite a bit, but the Premier League (or even say, Ligue 1 or La Liga) is not the place for him right now and may never be. By contrast, I think Albert, who is younger, has a higher probability of getting to that level eventually. Of course, Albert too needs a transfer or loan from Dortmund in January so he can get consistent playing time, maybe to the Dutch Eredivisie?

On Musah/Reyna - yes the formation and lineup was weird. Reyna was basically dropping back to play the "8" in the first half to Raines' (very ineffectual) "6" against the press. Reyna was the only one who could do anything in the pivot, which is why Canada kept fouling him. I think that last yellow card Reyna got before coming off was kind of him knowing that since this was his fourth start, he was on a minute count and coming off at half, so if you're going to kick and shove me all half (and the ref is basically not going to do anything about it, yellow card-wise), then here's a little something back. The player, who I've seen nicknamed Pistachio, so that's what I'll call him, was the same one who fractured his leg a dirty challenge in a different US-Canada match a few years back. So I actually did not mind Gio's yellow at all.

So yeah, maybe Musah was playing the middle "10", but it looked more like Tillman was, with Albert on the left and Musah on the right which... right attacking middie is not where Musah belongs, IMO. As it was, some of his passes made him look like he was playing for Canada. And of course, Berhalter coming in for Reyna at halftime just poured gasoline on the fire of how the US "dealt" with Canada's press.

And speaking of formations, Trusty playing left back and not left center back was kind of a disaster. Canada seemed to key their press off when Trusty got the ball, hemming him in on that side. They couldn't do that with Freeman on the other side. And to add to that, I think Trusty got concussed by Jonathan David's dirty blindside hit. That would have been a penalty for a safety hitting a wide receiver. Edited to add: Ha! I just listened to the part in the Total Soccer podcast where they said almost all the same things! LOL. =)

To circle back to something good, like I said, Freeman was man of the match, with Reyna being runner up and Ellis honorable mention, especially for gutting it out while injured and scoring. But it is looking to me like Pochettino, while realizing that Freeman's can play center back, is committing to play him as an aggressive and sometimes attacking right fullback, and Freeman is doing well in the role. Better than Jedi Robinson, really. I just don't know who the hell his backup any more (or ARob's unless Peyton Miller grows into that role). Who are the backup fullbacks? Dest? Weah? Scally? Arfsten? Bleh. (And until today, I would not have said "Bleh" for Dest, just that his defense isn't great, but now apparently, neither is his offense). Anyway, this was supposed to be positive - yay Alex Freeman!
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OneKeg said:

On Schwake, to join the conversation with sluggo and Cal88, the barely tipped save against the crossbar was a good one (better than Kochen's one save against Mexico since it was closer range), but not a great save. A great save is to get more on it and tip it up over the crossbar and end the immediate danger. But overall, I thought Schwake played ok (I rated him as average), given his capabilities.


The shot was from point blank range, very well taken by their British Canadian right fullback (who had a very solid game) at the edge of the 6 yard box, and Schwanke showed great anticipation and reaction to divert the ball to the top of the crossbar..

There are no style points here, a fingertip save is as good as any save, either it's a goal or it isn't, it's the result that matters. He preserved the win. Furthermore, a "better'" save here would have resulted in a rebound and a possible shot on goal with the keeper still out of position, so diverting the ball out of play for a corner kick is a better outcome.
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal88 said:

OneKeg said:

On Schwake, to join the conversation with sluggo and Cal88, the barely tipped save against the crossbar was a good one (better than Kochen's one save against Mexico since it was closer range), but not a great save. A great save is to get more on it and tip it up over the crossbar and end the immediate danger. But overall, I thought Schwake played ok (I rated him as average), given his capabilities.


The shot was from point blank range, very well taken by their British Canadian right fullback (who had a very solid game) at the edge of the 6 yard box, and Schwanke showed great anticipation and reaction to divert the ball to the top of the crossbar..

There are no style points here, a fingertip save is as good as any save, either it's a goal or it isn't, it's the result that matters. He preserved the win. Furthermore, a "better'" save here would have resulted in a rebound and a possible shot on goal with the keeper still out of position, so diverting the ball out of play for a corner kick is a better outcome.

On whether it was a good save or a great save is not exactly something I'm going to spend much time arguing with you about. I'll give you this - it was probably the best save made by a US goalie during these four friendly matches, but that's not a super high bar.

However, your last bolded sentence above makes no sense to me given what actually happened. Schwake did NOT divert the ball out of play safely for a corner kick.

What ACTUALLY HAPPENED (see timestamped youtube below): Schwake's save off the crossbar DID result in a rebound that went roughly in the direction of Canadian midfielder Saliba who had a contested chance for a point blank tap in before US right back Alex Freeman (correction, center back Auston Trusty) got a head to it and it pinballed to US center back Richards who hooked it away for a corner. So Schwake DID save it into danger, leaving himself out of position for a potential follow from Saliba. But still, I don't blame him for that - it is what I am calling a good save. If you call it a great one, that's fine, minor difference of opinion.

What I am saying WOULD HAVE BEEN a great save (but didn't happen): Schwake gets more of a hand to it and tips it up over the crossbar for a corner without a rebound and possible follow shot on goal by Saliba. (I'd also say the goal Schwake gave up against Chile where his footwork was suspect, as pointed out by former goalies, would have been a great save if he had made it, but he didn't make that one... not a huge issue either to be clear).



Anyway, based on his performance in these friendlies, I have no problem with Schwake being on the USMNT roster. I still think Diego Kochen, who is 20yo to Schwake's 25, should get a major and sustained opportunity as a starter, for all the reasons sluggo and I have stated above.
sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OneKeg said:

sluggo said:

We basically agree on everything. Gozo can't go back because the season is almost over, but it is funny. I would call "solid" the players you called "average." They did their job. Musah was playing in the Reyna 8/10 role in the first half as Mathis and Tillman were wings. His passing was off and Berhalter came in so he got moved to wing, I think. The center backs allowed very few opportunities even if they did not provide much offensively. That is their first job. I am just speculating but Dest's injury may have messed him up mentally. He is no longer dangerous.

Yeah, for the Gozo transfer, I guess I meant in the January transfer window, could he transfer back to RSL for the one-time sprint season as MLS realigns their schedule? In the meantime, Gozo should just play for Crystal Palace's U-23s. Since I have been watching him for RSL, my immediate first impression was just "above average MLS player" and unfortunately, nothing has swayed my opinion in the positive direction. I think Palace made a mistake, and so did Gozo for grossly overestimating his own talent and going there. I think he's likely better than he has shown and may improve quite a bit, but the Premier League (or even say, Ligue 1 or La Liga) is not the place for him right now and may never be. By contrast, I think Albert, who is younger, has a higher probability of getting to that level eventually. Of course, Albert too needs a transfer or loan from Dortmund in January so he can get consistent playing time, maybe to the Dutch Eredivisie?

On Musah/Reyna - yes the formation and lineup was weird. Reyna was basically dropping back to play the "8" in the first half to Raines' (very ineffectual) "6" against the press. Reyna was the only one who could do anything in the pivot, which is why Canada kept fouling him. I think that last yellow card Reyna got before coming off was kind of him knowing that since this was his fourth start, he was on a minute count and coming off at half, so if you're going to kick and shove me all half (and the ref is basically not going to do anything about it, yellow card-wise), then here's a little something back. The player, who I've seen nicknamed Pistachio, so that's what I'll call him, was the same one who fractured his leg a dirty challenge in a different US-Canada match a few years back. So I actually did not mind Gio's yellow at all.

So yeah, maybe Musah was playing the middle "10", but it looked more like Tillman was, with Albert on the left and Musah on the right which... right attacking middie is not where Musah belongs, IMO. As it was, some of his passes made him look like he was playing for Canada. And of course, Berhalter coming in for Reyna at halftime just poured gasoline on the fire of how the US "dealt" with Canada's press.

And speaking of formations, Trusty playing left back and not left center back was kind of a disaster. Canada seemed to key their press off when Trusty got the ball, hemming him in on that side. They couldn't do that with Freeman on the other side. And to add to that, I think Trusty got concussed by Jonathan David's dirty blindside hit. That would have been a penalty for a safety hitting a wide receiver. Edited to add: Ha! I just listened to the part in the Total Soccer podcast where they said almost all the same things! LOL. =)

To circle back to something good, like I said, Freeman was man of the match, with Reyna being runner up and Ellis honorable mention, especially for gutting it out while injured and scoring. But it is looking to me like Pochettino, while realizing that Freeman's can play center back, is committing to play him as an aggressive and sometimes attacking right fullback, and Freeman is doing well in the role. Better than Jedi Robinson, really. I just don't know who the hell his backup any more (or ARob's unless Peyton Miller grows into that role). Who are the backup fullbacks? Dest? Weah? Scally? Arfsten? Bleh. (And until today, I would not have said "Bleh" for Dest, just that his defense isn't great, but now apparently, neither is his offense). Anyway, this was supposed to be positive - yay Alex Freeman!

They were playing a double pivot as these typically do, which means two 6/8s right next to each other in the middle. Reyna was on the left and Raines on the right. Canada was pressing man-to-man, according to the announcers, which is high-risk, high-reward strategy. Reyna was always able to hold the ball, and at times beat his man off the dribble (he was fouled five times in the first half), and at least he could circulate it. Raines was constantly losing the ball, he does not have the on ball skill of Reyna (no one does, Mehmeti is getting there). What was weird was when the press break was not working, Musah came back for the ball. So they had three guys in the middle, but that just brought another defender. It is better to be more spread out and beat people with cuts or dribbles.

Part of what makes Freeman special is that he can beat the press off the dribble. It is not so much footwork he uses but rather he uses the pressers momentum against him and shields the ball with his huge body. This is a rare skill and it makes him Premier League ready. If he improves his footwork a little, he just turned 22, the sky is the limit.

After him, and he may eventually be a center back, there is A. Robinson (29 with injuries and overuse), Miller, and a whole lot of nothing. I think outside back is in worse shape than center back.
sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have not seen much shot stopping between Kochen and Schwake with the defense not giving up much. In addition to his footwork, it seems clear to me that Kochen is cat quick and has very good range on his dives. I don't think Schwake has either. If Kochen is decent at all with his shot stopping, he is our guy.
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

After him [Freeman], and he may eventually be a center back, there is A. Robinson (29 with injuries and overuse), Miller, and a whole lot of nothing. I think outside back is in worse shape than center back.


Yes, it's interesting to look at the positions where the US has a lack of decent depth and quality... there is at least a ray of hope at most of those positions.

Goalkeeper: not good, but there's hope if Kochen can develop (and Schwake/Freese etc. can be a backups).

Center Back: bad, but even with Freeman at right back, if Pierre can develop, we can play him at RCB and Richards at LCB with Trusty, my guy George Campbell or Mark Mckenzie as backups... i.e. not good unless Pierre develops, so there's hope.

Holding Mid: Adams is what he is, and there is hope if Johnnhy Cardoso can get in form with Atletico Madrid (played the full game in the derby against Real Madrid just before the break) and stay healthy. Hope here comes from the youngster Mehmeti. Position is still think enough that Pochettino will still likely be forced to play one of the attacking midfielders back at the "8" (Tillman, Reyna or potentially Mckennie), but that may be ok since we're deep at attacking midfield.

Striker: Balogun and... well, Ellis shows a ton of promise, though more as a false 9 or attacking mid, whereas Hall may be at least a Pepi replacement. So not great, strictly in terms of a 9, but there's hope.

So with all these trouble positions there's hope. But outside back?

Freeman's a stud, there's an aging Jedi Robinson and then what? We have to hope that Miller transfers to some club in Europe, does not even have to be a top 5 league, in fact maybe better if not, but where he will play at left back instead of left wing. And that he develops so he can be a viable alternative to Jedi at left back. But then... we have a below average guy like Scally and some wing backs who don't defend (Dest, Weah and even Arfsten). It's pretty grim at outside back.

Maybe we could audition Santiago Castaneda who plays holding mid for Paderborn in the Bundesliga - does not seem to have the quality to play holding mid, but maybe has the athleticism to develop into Freeman's back up, given that he's still pretty young (younger than Freeman, though just above 2028 Olympic U-23 age by 2 months).
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Short (< 3min) 11 Yanks youtube again, illustrating from game footage how the US needs more players like Gio Reyna, Alex Freeman and Justin Ellis to win against aggressive, pressing teams.

sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OneKeg said:

Short (< 3min) 11 Yanks youtube again, illustrating from game footage how the US needs more players like Gio Reyna, Alex Freeman and Justin Ellis to win against aggressive, pressing teams.

The professionals say what I say, I just say it first.

Anyway, we need 11 players (including a goalie) with first rate on ball skills to get to the next level. Then five guys off the bench with those skills. Guys without those skills should not be called except, with the possible exception of center backs. The obvious guy not to call for this reason is Berhalter. Musah sometimes shows the skill and sometimes does not, I would stick with him.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.