I've said before, I will stick with CAL no matter what. I love CAL, but there are high school teams in Texas that play better football than our Bears. We may still end up winning, but this is hard to watch.
HateRed said:
Agree!! It's so frustrating, especially so since I love our CAL. I live in Houston now, and some of the high school football here is amazing. You should see the stadiums here for high school!! Right now everyone is glued to UT/ Ohio State.
HateRed said:
Mmmm…have you lived in Texas??? High school football here is like a religion. You should see North Park (Houston) play.
HateRed said:
Maybe you misunderstood what I was alluding to??? Either way, it's ok. Support here for hs football is amazing. Personally I don't miss CA or WA (where I lived for nine years before moving here to Houston). It is amazing how fast this state is growing. I really think that the future of America is Texas, it's not CA. I say in ten years will start seeing that. Fingers crossed for CAL's next three games.
calpoly said:HateRed said:
Mmmm…have you lived in Texas??? High school football here is like a religion. You should see North Park (Houston) play.
Thank goodness no I do not live in texass. Cal or Syracuse would absolutely steamroll even the best high school team. There's a huge difference between having a few D-I recruits and putting 85 D-I players on the same roster.
HateRed said:
I like CA a lot. It's just too expensive. I'm sorry you think it's a cesspool. It's not, as a matter of fact from Austin to The Piney Woods is beautiful and forested. Houston is built in a forest. If you dislike Texas for its politics, I do too. It's lethal here, but every state has it.
lived in Houston and played HS football for a year at Strake before finishing where I started in HS. I learned "yes sir" real quick like. Houston was growing like crazy when I was there. Lots of young people and transplants to make friends with. Plenty to do. Food is great. Weather sucks balls. When I was there 18 was the drinking age and I remember having a few beers in a few joints (with additional entertainment) after a hard days work building elevators for Dover in the summer swampHateRed said:
I like CA a lot. It's just too expensive. I'm sorry you think it's a cesspool. It's not, as a matter of fact from Austin to The Piney Woods is beautiful and forested. Houston is built in a forest. If you dislike Texas for its politics, I do too. It's lethal here, but every state has it.
CNHTH said:
What's crazy to me is this common recurring theme in the quotations from people who move to Texas….
"It's growing so fast here"; "the growth is so great"
Which if you have any critically thinking bone in your body is the exact same thing that made California so great.
All the while missing the warning signs that it (and many other states) are on the exact same trajectory that led to many of California's problems. Ie: energy, education system, roads, etc.
Deregulation is great until it isn't. It's great to be in the midst of unfettered growth but then, unchecked capitalism shows its ugly side.
I hope those states don't experience the problems we have but personally I think they'll actually be worse. Say what you want about California but our public services, consumer protections, environmental protection, etc are all night and day compared to red states.
"This ain't California dude we don't have to worry about wildfires here. Rake your forests"
That's the general attitude. And that right their should tell you all you need to know about how incredibly ****ed states like Texas are given they are led by science denying sociopaths who think the solution to school shootings is to "pray more".
Golden One said:CNHTH said:
What's crazy to me is this common recurring theme in the quotations from people who move to Texas….
"It's growing so fast here"; "the growth is so great"
Which if you have any critically thinking bone in your body is the exact same thing that made California so great.
All the while missing the warning signs that it (and many other states) are on the exact same trajectory that led to many of California's problems. Ie: energy, education system, roads, etc.
Deregulation is great until it isn't. It's great to be in the midst of unfettered growth but then, unchecked capitalism shows its ugly side.
I hope those states don't experience the problems we have but personally I think they'll actually be worse. Say what you want about California but our public services, consumer protections, environmental protection, etc are all night and day compared to red states.
"This ain't California dude we don't have to worry about wildfires here. Rake your forests"
That's the general attitude. And that right their should tell you all you need to know about how incredibly ****ed states like Texas are given they are led by science denying sociopaths who think the solution to school shootings is to "pray more".
If you had any idea what you're talking about, you might even be believable. Have you ever spent any significant time in Texas?
Golden One said:CNHTH said:
What's crazy to me is this common recurring theme in the quotations from people who move to Texas….
"It's growing so fast here"; "the growth is so great"
Which if you have any critically thinking bone in your body is the exact same thing that made California so great.
All the while missing the warning signs that it (and many other states) are on the exact same trajectory that led to many of California's problems. Ie: energy, education system, roads, etc.
Deregulation is great until it isn't. It's great to be in the midst of unfettered growth but then, unchecked capitalism shows its ugly side.
I hope those states don't experience the problems we have but personally I think they'll actually be worse. Say what you want about California but our public services, consumer protections, environmental protection, etc are all night and day compared to red states.
"This ain't California dude we don't have to worry about wildfires here. Rake your forests"
That's the general attitude. And that right their should tell you all you need to know about how incredibly ****ed states like Texas are given they are led by science denying sociopaths who think the solution to school shootings is to "pray more".
If you had any idea what you're talking about, you might even be believable. Have you ever spent any significant time in Texas?
DiabloWags said:
Last time I checked, Texas literally had no zoning laws.
Houston has zero.
BearlySane88 said:DiabloWags said:
Last time I checked, Texas literally had no zoning laws.
Houston has zero.
Check again. Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, etc all have conventional zoning laws.
DiabloWags said:BearlySane88 said:DiabloWags said:
Last time I checked, Texas literally had no zoning laws.
Houston has zero.
Check again. Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, etc all have conventional zoning laws.
Fact: TEXAS has no statewide zoning laws.
Big C said:
Now that this thread is on the OT board, I can say without hesitation: Bite me, Texas! If I were omnipotent, I would deactivate all air conditioning for three years, just to be able to laugh as states like Texas, Florida and Arizona lost most of their congressional seats. Then, I'd sell my house in the East Bay, as the property values would have gone way up. Then, I'd buy a now-cheap home in Austin or somewhere, before reactivating the AC. (Grifter stunts like this are known as "pulling a Trump", so it'd be fun to try it myself.)
01Bear said:HateRed said:
I like CA a lot. It's just too expensive. I'm sorry you think it's a cesspool. It's not, as a matter of fact from Austin to The Piney Woods is beautiful and forested. Houston is built in a forest. If you dislike Texas for its politics, I do too. It's lethal here, but every state has it.
I went the other way around. I lived in Texas as a little kid, before moving to California, where I grew up. I have some fond memories of Texas, but am glad I left. I visited Texas for work a couple times in the early 2000s; I was glad for the trips back to Texas but even more glad to be flying back to California.
For one, humidity is not my friend. For another, the natural beauty of California dwarfs that found in Texas*. Also, California has all four seasons within driving distance.
Finally, the food scene in California is the best. I can have pastrami breakfast burritos in the morning, goulash for lunch, and doro wat for dinner followed by a nightcap of California wines. Don't get me wrong, Texas BBQ is the best and Texmex is also fantastic, but the melting pot of cuisines and cultures in California is nonpareil.
Sure, there's plenty California doesn't get quite right. The cost of living is also ridiculous! But overall, California is about as close to paradise as I've found.
*Is there anything to rival Yosemite? That's one of the most beautiful spots on God's green earth, IMHO.
01Bear said:
Sure, there's plenty California doesn't get quite right. The cost of living is also ridiculous! But overall, California is about as close to paradise as I've found.
*Is there anything to rival Yosemite? That's one of the most beautiful spots on God's green earth, IMHO.

DiabloWags said:
California High School Football![]()