Off Topic
Sponsored by

High School football

12,589 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Cal88
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah.
My sister has her two kids in private in Marin. Insanity!
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister said:

The annual tuition at The College Preparatory School in Oakland, California, is $62,760 for the 2026-27 academic year.

Annual tuition at Bentley School in Lafayette and Oakland, California, ranges from $42,630 to $61,460 per year for the 2026-2027 academic year, depending on the grade level.


2026-2027 Tuition Rates
Lower School (Kindergarten* 5th Grade): $42,630 per year

Middle School (6th 8th Grade): $46,620 per year

Upper School (9th 12th Grade): $61,460 per year

*Those better be some pretty darn high quality crayons!



*….and my total tuition cost for 4 years at the # 1 Public University in the World was less than $3000 ($17,661.51 in today's dollars).


This kind of makes me sick. My latest half-baked idea is that the UC's should give an edge to California public high school applicants. Let some sissy from The Bentley School go to Harvey Mudd or wherever.
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

concordtom said:

cal83dls79 said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

DiabloWags said:

TomBear said:


Ironic: Cal plays a college game at home on a Friday night.
DLS plays a high school game at Cal on Saturday afternoon.

What's wrong with this picture?


ESPN.



How much longer before high schools are paying kids to come play football there, just like what happened in college?

If someone before was bragging about 20,000 attending weekly games in TX, well, maybe that starts trickling down to 16 year olds same as what happened in college.

And if a 14 year old gymnast can make money as an Olympian, why couldn't a 16 year old football player?

Do you think De La Salle's pool of potential student-athletes comes from families within 5-10 miles who simply want a good Catholic education for their kids?

it was when I went there. Private schools weren't so popular. Many were struggling. It wasn't a rich kids school by any means. Sure there were plenty, but many were middle class. TBH it wasn't all that heavy on the Catholic stuff. Not sure how it is today. The only C I got there was religion so that might explain that.

* instead of the Catholic stuff we got a lot of the brotherhood stuff. So for what it's worth

The brotherhood stuff is excellent!!!!
And I don't think religion is a big thing. Just my impression.

Is carondelet still requiring uniforms?

I have no problem with DLS except for the active recruiting while claiming "we don't recruit". Such BS!!

That was my point: they recruit and they cast a wide geographical net. And if a player can help them win football or basketball games but their parents can't afford private school, well... they find a way to make it happen.


Thank You.
27,000 reasons to make it happen.

That was my point 10 posts ago with 4 and 5 star recruits commuting in from Antioch and Pittsburg. But it got conflated with "middle school" tuition.
It's a CULT.

Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

bearister said:

The annual tuition at The College Preparatory School in Oakland, California, is $62,760 for the 2026-27 academic year.

Annual tuition at Bentley School in Lafayette and Oakland, California, ranges from $42,630 to $61,460 per year for the 2026-2027 academic year, depending on the grade level.


2026-2027 Tuition Rates
Lower School (Kindergarten* 5th Grade): $42,630 per year

Middle School (6th 8th Grade): $46,620 per year

Upper School (9th 12th Grade): $61,460 per year

*Those better be some pretty darn high quality crayons!



*….and my total tuition cost for 4 years at the # 1 Public University in the World was less than $3000 ($17,661.51 in today's dollars).


This kind of makes me sick. My latest half-baked idea is that the UC's should give an edge to California public high school applicants. Let some sissy from The Bentley School go to Harvey Mudd or wherever.


They already do, a lot of them prefer going to Ivies and $75k/yr liberal arts colleges.
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
prospeCt said:

~ lost Txn classics






bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The irony of spending that kind of money is that your kids end up getting exposed to some extremely sophisticated bad actors. Brains, spoiled and money can really fuel a demon.
“Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside”
—Jim Morrison

“I love Cal deeply, by the way, what are the directions to The Portal from Sproul Plaza?”
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I did well in the Walnut Creek school system.

Buena Vista Elementary
Walnut Creek Intermediate
Las Lomas High
Cal
It's a CULT.

BearlySane88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister said:

The irony of spending that kind of money is that your kids end up getting exposed to some extremely sophisticated bad actors. Brains, spoiled and money can really fuel a demon.


They are also exposed to amazing situations, experiences and opportunities.
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister said:

The irony of spending that kind of money is that your kids end up getting exposed to some extremely sophisticated bad actors. Brains, spoiled and money can really fuel a demon.


Very true.

Spoiled money + Never Having to Deal with Adversity is a terrible combo.
It's a CULT.

BearlySane88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

bearister said:

The irony of spending that kind of money is that your kids end up getting exposed to some extremely sophisticated bad actors. Brains, spoiled and money can really fuel a demon.


Very true.

Spoiled money + Never Having to Deal with Adversity is a terrible combo.


You know nothing about what you speak. If you haven't attended private school, you really can't speak on the matter.

There are as many "spoiled money" kids at Northgate and Las Lomas than there are at De La.
Aunburdened
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

bearister said:

The annual tuition at The College Preparatory School in Oakland, California, is $62,760 for the 2026-27 academic year.

Annual tuition at Bentley School in Lafayette and Oakland, California, ranges from $42,630 to $61,460 per year for the 2026-2027 academic year, depending on the grade level.


2026-2027 Tuition Rates
Lower School (Kindergarten* 5th Grade): $42,630 per year

Middle School (6th 8th Grade): $46,620 per year

Upper School (9th 12th Grade): $61,460 per year

*Those better be some pretty darn high quality crayons!



*….and my total tuition cost for 4 years at the # 1 Public University in the World was less than $3000 ($17,661.51 in today's dollars).


This kind of makes me sick. My latest half-baked idea is that the UC's should give an edge to California public high school applicants. Let some sissy from The Bentley School go to Harvey Mudd or wherever.

Great post
Aun "unburdened by what has been" Bear is the OG legend
- DaddyLegend 9/6/2026
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You can get a PhD in being a fiend going to schools like Robert Louis Stevenson ($23,000 for Pre-K up to $85,900 for boarding high school students) Santa Catalina ($79,300 for boarding students and $48,925 for day students in the upper school; Patty Hearst's alma mater)

“Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside”
—Jim Morrison

“I love Cal deeply, by the way, what are the directions to The Portal from Sproul Plaza?”
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearlySane88 said:

DiabloWags said:

bearister said:

The irony of spending that kind of money is that your kids end up getting exposed to some extremely sophisticated bad actors. Brains, spoiled and money can really fuel a demon.


Very true.

Spoiled money + Never Having to Deal with Adversity is a terrible combo.


You know nothing about what you speak.If you haven't attended private school, you really can't speak on the matter.



My girlfriend's daughter graduated from Presentation in SJ. Thanks for telling me what I dont know.

$34,000 a year.

Didnt get into UCLA.
Now going to a JC.

Zero adversity.
Spoiled rotten.


It's a CULT.

BearlySane88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

BearlySane88 said:

DiabloWags said:

bearister said:

The irony of spending that kind of money is that your kids end up getting exposed to some extremely sophisticated bad actors. Brains, spoiled and money can really fuel a demon.


Very true.

Spoiled money + Never Having to Deal with Adversity is a terrible combo.


You know nothing about what you speak.If you haven't attended private school, you really can't speak on the matter.



My girlfriend's daughter graduated from Presentation in SJ. Thanks for telling me what I dont know.

$34,000 a year.

Didnt get into UCLA.
Now going to a JC.

Zero adversity.
Spoiled rotten.







You're missing the point. Private school isn't what spoils a child, it's their upbringing. I'll refrain from commenting more as I don't want to speak about your gf or her child directly.

You get those same spoiled, zero adversity kids at Las Lomas. It has very little to do with the school.

Now if you're talking boarding schools and elite east coast schools, that's a different story.
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearlySane88 said:

DiabloWags said:

BearlySane88 said:

DiabloWags said:

bearister said:

The irony of spending that kind of money is that your kids end up getting exposed to some extremely sophisticated bad actors. Brains, spoiled and money can really fuel a demon.


Very true.

Spoiled money + Never Having to Deal with Adversity is a terrible combo.


You know nothing about what you speak.If you haven't attended private school, you really can't speak on the matter.



My girlfriend's daughter graduated from Presentation in SJ. Thanks for telling me what I dont know.

$34,000 a year.

Didnt get into UCLA.
Now going to a JC.

Zero adversity.
Spoiled rotten.







You're missing the point. Private school isn't what spoiled it, it was her upbringing. I'll refrain from commenting more as I don't want to speak about your girlfriend.



You just did.

I would suggest that you refrain from replying to my posts. I really dont care about your opinion on this, or anything else for that matter.

Your opinion is worthless to me.
It adds zero value.

It's a CULT.

BearlySane88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

BearlySane88 said:

DiabloWags said:

BearlySane88 said:

DiabloWags said:

bearister said:

The irony of spending that kind of money is that your kids end up getting exposed to some extremely sophisticated bad actors. Brains, spoiled and money can really fuel a demon.


Very true.

Spoiled money + Never Having to Deal with Adversity is a terrible combo.


You know nothing about what you speak.If you haven't attended private school, you really can't speak on the matter.



My girlfriend's daughter graduated from Presentation in SJ. Thanks for telling me what I dont know.

$34,000 a year.

Didnt get into UCLA.
Now going to a JC.

Zero adversity.
Spoiled rotten.







You're missing the point. Private school isn't what spoiled it, it was her upbringing. I'll refrain from commenting more as I don't want to speak about your girlfriend.



You just did.

I would suggest that you refrain from replying to my posts. I really dont care about your opinion on this, or anything else for that matter.

Your opinion is worthless to me.
It adds zero value.




That's an opinion that you're welcome to have and I'm going to continue to share mine.

Schools don't make a kid spoiled, their upbringing does. Public school, private school, whatever school has spoiled kids if it is in a wealthy area.
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearlySane88 said:

DiabloWags said:

BearlySane88 said:

DiabloWags said:

bearister said:

The irony of spending that kind of money is that your kids end up getting exposed to some extremely sophisticated bad actors. Brains, spoiled and money can really fuel a demon.


Very true.

Spoiled money + Never Having to Deal with Adversity is a terrible combo.


You know nothing about what you speak.If you haven't attended private school, you really can't speak on the matter.



My girlfriend's daughter graduated from Presentation in SJ. Thanks for telling me what I dont know.

$34,000 a year.

Didnt get into UCLA.
Now going to a JC.

Zero adversity.
Spoiled rotten.







You're missing the point. Private school isn't what spoils a child, it's their upbringing. I'll refrain from commenting more as I don't want to speak about your gf or her child directly.

You get those same spoiled, zero adversity kids at Las Lomas. It has very little to do with the school.

Now if you're talking boarding schools and elite east coast schools, that's a different story.

My daughter went to a private school in the east and I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about. Just evasive enough to not be pinned down but not knowledgeable about any of it.
Censorship has always been a tool of the fascist
BearlySane88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dajo9 said:

BearlySane88 said:

DiabloWags said:

BearlySane88 said:

DiabloWags said:

bearister said:

The irony of spending that kind of money is that your kids end up getting exposed to some extremely sophisticated bad actors. Brains, spoiled and money can really fuel a demon.


Very true.

Spoiled money + Never Having to Deal with Adversity is a terrible combo.


You know nothing about what you speak.If you haven't attended private school, you really can't speak on the matter.



My girlfriend's daughter graduated from Presentation in SJ. Thanks for telling me what I dont know.

$34,000 a year.

Didnt get into UCLA.
Now going to a JC.

Zero adversity.
Spoiled rotten.







You're missing the point. Private school isn't what spoils a child, it's their upbringing. I'll refrain from commenting more as I don't want to speak about your gf or her child directly.

You get those same spoiled, zero adversity kids at Las Lomas. It has very little to do with the school.

Now if you're talking boarding schools and elite east coast schools, that's a different story.

My daughter went to a private school in the east and I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about. Just evasive enough to not be pinned down but not knowledgeable about any of it.


Evasive on what?

I went to both public and private schools and have worked at both public and private schools. I'd say I know a thing or two.
cal83dls79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Those were good options. In "the Nut"
I had:
Bancroft Elementary - went there. Good.
Oak Grove Intermediate- went there, scary AF
Ygnacio Valley- not great, sister went there and opted out of Carondolet. She started at Chico then transferred to Cal and then Haas. YV was in my backyard, knew a bunch of guys there from Oak Grove. DLS wasn't crazy expensive back then (still is a deal!relatively)but my mom did work as an admin assistant there to defray our tuition. I was the last of 6 so my parents were more than happy when they saw "free" Bancroft Elementary …having transferred from NY and Catholic elementary school to Ca/WC and 3 in College back east.
Oak Grove was a different story. Bullies galore.

Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
01Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Serious question, but why do so many Bay Area kids go to private Catholic school (especially the non-Catholic kids)? Are Bay Area public schools really that bad?

I went to public school in the San Gabriel Valley in SoCal, but there are some private (Catholic, Lutheran, and non-sectarian) schools in my area. While plenty of kids still go to the private schools, it feels like the culture is different down here than in the Bay in that going to private school isn't generally considered necessarily a better option than going to public schools. While there are definitely some excellent public schools in the San Gabriel Valley (e.g., San Marino High, Arcadia High, Walnut High, Diamond Bar High, Bonita High), not all of the public schools here are at that level. Yet, it's not like parents in other districts are racing to get their kids into the local private schools. Heck, even my crappy high school managed to get me into Cal! (I also had classmates go straight from high school to MIT, University of Chicago, and Northwestern in addition to Cal and UCLA.)

Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They don't take everyone so don't have to deal with more unpredictable student bodies. Catholic schools admission is test based so you wind up with a more competitive student body, one where everyone goes to college and there is a lot of support. That said, there are a lot of catholic kids that start on this track in elementary school who gain preference, so in some cases you have kids who have spent 12 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars and wind up at Loyola Marymount
01Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anarchistbear said:

They don't take everyone so don't have to deal with more unpredictable student bodies. Catholic schools admission is test based so you wind up with a more competitive student body, one where everyone goes to college and there is a lot of support. That said, there are a lot of catholic kids that start on this track in elementary school who gain preference, so in some cases you have kids who have spent 12 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars and wind up at Loyola Marymount

Thanks for the response. I'm still not sure I understand, though. Are you saying that Bay Area parents are more elitist and they don't want their kids going to school with the hoi polloi?

Also, assuming private (Catholic) schools didn't exist, wouldn't those competitive students you mentioned go to the local public schools? Even with those private schools, aren't there still plenty of competitive students who end up in the local public schools? I mean, IIRC, there are also top notch public schools in the Bay Area (e.g., Lowell, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Menlo Atherton), don't they also have competitive students?

Or are you saying that Catholic schools offer more hand-holding and Bay Area parents coddle their kids more than in SoCal? (I'm not saying this in order to pass judgment or criticize, I'm trying to understand what I see as different educational philosophies between Bay Area and SoCal parents.)

On a personal level, I never met anyone who graduated* from a private school until I went to Cal. Then, it tended to be local Bay Area kids who went to Catholic schools instead of their local public. (I had a girlfriend who was Buddhist but she and her sisters all went to Moreau Catholic.) I never understood why the Bay Area kids went to private high school only to end up at a public university. It just seemed to me that they wasted a lot of tuition money to end up at the same college as the rest of us public school kids. (I always figured their parents would've been better off saving that high school tuition money and investing it.)

Ultimately, I still don't understand the preference for private (Catholic) schools among Bay Area denizens. Are the local public schools really that bad? I mean, the high school I attended was pretty crap (seriously, USNWR currently ranks it in the mid 700s out of the 950 or so California high schools), but it still managed to send many of us to elite universities. It's not like we crashed and burned in college, in fact, two of my classmates wound up getting PhDs (and working at universities), a couple of us wound up becoming attorneys, and the rest wound up in other well-paid professions.

*After going to our local public school for her freshman year, my high school girlfriend went to a local private boarding school for her sophomore year in high school but returned for the final two years. Aside from her, I never knew anyone else who went to private schools, whatsoever, until I arrived at Cal. She wound up going to an elite private four-year university but I think she would've ended up there had she stayed at our local public high school for all four years, anyway.
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think the parents are elitist, highly educated and fearful

Public schools here are also segregated by affluence. If you live in Palo Alto or like suburbs the schools are excellent and there is nothing to worry about but you pay for that . If you live in Oakland , San Francisco or San Jose they are more problematic with poorer kids and "that kind"

I had two kids-one went the catholic route, the second, public- both to Cal. The catholic one was super competitive and enjoyed the academics and athletics. The second enjoyed the peer group and diversity of the public. This one also showed me that being among the highest performers in a public school is worth as much or more than being among the top 10% in private, even though she was no smarter than her brother.
BearlySane88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
01Bear said:

Anarchistbear said:

They don't take everyone so don't have to deal with more unpredictable student bodies. Catholic schools admission is test based so you wind up with a more competitive student body, one where everyone goes to college and there is a lot of support. That said, there are a lot of catholic kids that start on this track in elementary school who gain preference, so in some cases you have kids who have spent 12 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars and wind up at Loyola Marymount

Thanks for the response. I'm still not sure I understand, though. Are you saying that Bay Area parents are more elitist and they don't want their kids going to school with the hoi polloi?



Yes
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
More succinct and true
01Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearlySane88 said:

01Bear said:

Anarchistbear said:

They don't take everyone so don't have to deal with more unpredictable student bodies. Catholic schools admission is test based so you wind up with a more competitive student body, one where everyone goes to college and there is a lot of support. That said, there are a lot of catholic kids that start on this track in elementary school who gain preference, so in some cases you have kids who have spent 12 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars and wind up at Loyola Marymount

Thanks for the response. I'm still not sure I understand, though. Are you saying that Bay Area parents are more elitist and they don't want their kids going to school with the hoi polloi?



Yes

Thanks for the response. I admit I'm a little disappointed to learn that Bay Area parents are that elitist.
BearlySane88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
01Bear said:

BearlySane88 said:

01Bear said:

Anarchistbear said:

They don't take everyone so don't have to deal with more unpredictable student bodies. Catholic schools admission is test based so you wind up with a more competitive student body, one where everyone goes to college and there is a lot of support. That said, there are a lot of catholic kids that start on this track in elementary school who gain preference, so in some cases you have kids who have spent 12 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars and wind up at Loyola Marymount

Thanks for the response. I'm still not sure I understand, though. Are you saying that Bay Area parents are more elitist and they don't want their kids going to school with the hoi polloi?



Yes

Thanks for the response. I admit I'm a little disappointed to learn that Bay Area parents are that elitist.


It's a mixture of things but that most definitely plays a role. Anarchist explained it well also.
HearstMining
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anarchistbear said:

I think the parents are elitist, highly educated and fearful

Public schools here are also segregated by affluence. If you live in Palo Alto or like suburbs the schools are excellent and there is nothing to worry about but you pay for that . If you live in Oakland , San Francisco or San Jose they are more problematic with poorer kids and "that kind"

I had two kids-one went the catholic route, the second, public- both to Cal. The catholic one was super competitive and enjoyed the academics and athletics. The second enjoyed the peer group and diversity of the public. This one also showed me that being among the highest performers in a public school is worth as much or more than being among the top 10% in private, even though she was no smarter than her brother.

So, how many of you Cal grads (or parents of Cal grads) look down your noses at CSU grads, or even UC Riverside or UC Merced grads? Sounds pretty elitist to me. Did you pay for SAT prep classes, after school tutors, or traveling sports teams that helped get your kids into the college they wanted? Or maybe you foot the bill for out-of-state tuition at ASU or Oregon? Again, lots of folks would call that elitist.

Sure, there are plenty of parents for whom private HS is a status thing, but a lot of them just want to improve the odds of their kids' success and that's not a bad thing.
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HearstMining said:

Anarchistbear said:

I think the parents are elitist, highly educated and fearful

Public schools here are also segregated by affluence. If you live in Palo Alto or like suburbs the schools are excellent and there is nothing to worry about but you pay for that . If you live in Oakland , San Francisco or San Jose they are more problematic with poorer kids and "that kind"

I had two kids-one went the catholic route, the second, public- both to Cal. The catholic one was super competitive and enjoyed the academics and athletics. The second enjoyed the peer group and diversity of the public. This one also showed me that being among the highest performers in a public school is worth as much or more than being among the top 10% in private, even though she was no smarter than her brother.

So, how many of you Cal grads (or parents of Cal grads) look down your noses at CSU grads, or even UC Riverside or UC Merced grads? Sounds pretty elitist to me. Did you pay for SAT prep classes, after school tutors, or traveling sports teams that helped get your kids into the college they wanted? Or maybe you foot the bill for out-of-state tuition at ASU or Oregon? Again, lots of folks would call that elitist.

Sure, there are plenty of parents for whom private HS is a status thing, but a lot of them just want to improve the odds of their kids' success and that's not a bad thing.


You seem to be assuming a lot of things that nobody in this thread has said.
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TomBear said:


Ironic: Cal plays a college game at home on a Friday night.
DLS plays a high school game at Cal on Saturday afternoon.

What's wrong with this picture?

Well it is a smart play to get to top high school teams, with plenty of prospects, to play in Cla's stadium. Timing is admittedly weird.
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

TomBear said:


Ironic: Cal plays a college game at home on a Friday night.
DLS plays a high school game at Cal on Saturday afternoon.

What's wrong with this picture?

Well it is a smart play to get to top high school teams, with plenty of prospects, to play in Cla's stadium. Timing is admittedly weird.


ESPN dictates the scheduling.
It's a CULT.

01Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HearstMining said:

Anarchistbear said:

I think the parents are elitist, highly educated and fearful

Public schools here are also segregated by affluence. If you live in Palo Alto or like suburbs the schools are excellent and there is nothing to worry about but you pay for that . If you live in Oakland , San Francisco or San Jose they are more problematic with poorer kids and "that kind"

I had two kids-one went the catholic route, the second, public- both to Cal. The catholic one was super competitive and enjoyed the academics and athletics. The second enjoyed the peer group and diversity of the public. This one also showed me that being among the highest performers in a public school is worth as much or more than being among the top 10% in private, even though she was no smarter than her brother.

So, how many of you Cal grads (or parents of Cal grads) look down your noses at CSU grads, or even UC Riverside or UC Merced grads? Sounds pretty elitist to me. Did you pay for SAT prep classes, after school tutors, or traveling sports teams that helped get your kids into the college they wanted? Or maybe you foot the bill for out-of-state tuition at ASU or Oregon? Again, lots of folks would call that elitist.

Sure, there are plenty of parents for whom private HS is a status thing, but a lot of them just want to improve the odds of their kids' success and that's not a bad thing.

I don't look down my nose at anyone who went to the CSU schools or the "lesser" UCs. I have had family and friends go down both routes; they're all doing well for themselves.* I've also sat in and audited some of those classes and found them to be intellectually stimulating/challenging. Sure, Cal was tough, but that doesn't mean the other UC schools and the Cal State schools aren't any good.

IMHO, it's not about what school a student attends but what the student does to get the most out of his/her experiences while there. Additionally, while a top notch education can be helpful, aside from the first job out of school, what's more important is what a person can do and not where that person studied. Sure, having a degree from an elite university can help open doors and help a person get a leg up in obtaining that first job (it worked for me during the Dot-Com-Bubble Burst and again during the Great Recession), at the end of the day, if an employee can't do the job, the name on his sheepskin means little. Similarly, when a person from a "lesser" university can do the job, it's his/her to lose.

That said, I will also say that who a person knows is often more important than what he knows. For that reason, it could be worthwhile for someone to send his/her kids to an elite education institution. But short of that, I'm not understanding the reason for sending a kid to private school, especially in California where even our crap public schools (including my own) manage to send kids to some of the most elite universities in the country (if not the world).

Your assumption that we Cal alumni must be elitists really doesn't seem to have any basis in reality. Sure, some Cal alumni are probably elitist and may be a bit snobbish, but that doesn't mean all of us are.

* Heck, one of the best students in my law school class was an alumnus of UC Riverside. I also know plenty of UCI alumni who run successful corporations.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
01Bear said:

BearlySane88 said:

01Bear said:

Anarchistbear said:

They don't take everyone so don't have to deal with more unpredictable student bodies. Catholic schools admission is test based so you wind up with a more competitive student body, one where everyone goes to college and there is a lot of support. That said, there are a lot of catholic kids that start on this track in elementary school who gain preference, so in some cases you have kids who have spent 12 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars and wind up at Loyola Marymount

Thanks for the response. I'm still not sure I understand, though. Are you saying that Bay Area parents are more elitist and they don't want their kids going to school with the hoi polloi?



Yes

Thanks for the response. I admit I'm a little disappointed to learn that Bay Area parents are that elitist.

Is it really true that more Bay Area parents send their kids to private schools (Catholic or non) than in other areas? I don't know that that's true, though it might be.

Bay Area public high schools run the gamut just like anywhere else. The three that I taught in ranged from "okay" to "very good". The one my kids go to is very good. I don't know for sure, but I feel like the "average" public high school in the Bay Area is decent.
01Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

01Bear said:

BearlySane88 said:

01Bear said:

Anarchistbear said:

They don't take everyone so don't have to deal with more unpredictable student bodies. Catholic schools admission is test based so you wind up with a more competitive student body, one where everyone goes to college and there is a lot of support. That said, there are a lot of catholic kids that start on this track in elementary school who gain preference, so in some cases you have kids who have spent 12 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars and wind up at Loyola Marymount

Thanks for the response. I'm still not sure I understand, though. Are you saying that Bay Area parents are more elitist and they don't want their kids going to school with the hoi polloi?



Yes

Thanks for the response. I admit I'm a little disappointed to learn that Bay Area parents are that elitist.

Is it really true that more Bay Area parents send their kids to private schools (Catholic or non) than in other areas? I don't know that that's true, though it might be.

Bay Area public high schools run the gamut just like anywhere else. The three that I taught in ranged from "okay" to "very good". The one my kids go to is very good. I don't know for sure, but I feel like the "average" public high school in the Bay Area is decent.

Thanks, Big C. Maybe I'm getting a skewed picture and there's not that much difference between Bay Area parents and SoCal parents in their attitudes toward private school education.
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't think private school in California has the same blue blood/legacy that those in the East have. We don't have the Choates and Exeters here. Many Asians send their kids to Northern CA catholic schools; funnily, these school set up to serve the diocese and promote religious training have now become educational magnets for other reasons .

( I don't know the SoCal situation but why wouldn't there be Catholic high schools?)
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.