SF Pro-Am

5,736 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Yogi58
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dear GMP, Yogi, Bearister, Stu,Calumnus and all other like-minded paragons of political virtue: Today, it was just announced that non-citizens and illegal immigrants will be allowed to vote on the november school-board elections ion San Francisco. Game, set and match. I believe that there are seven official " wonders of the world." surely, the eighth wonder is that fewer and fewer school boards in this great nation are requiring their children to read the Constitution either during their grammar or high-school days. We were required to read it in the fourth grade growing up in SF. This was true for both private, catholic schools as well as public schools. And, after we read it, we were tested on it time and time again. Nobody graduated from the eighth grade without a thorough understanding of not only the constitution but also the many federalist papers which were and are the political and philosophical underpinnings of our great text. Today, many school boards not only do not require 'civics" but they also do not require Spelling as a daily intellectual task. Many school boards also do not require daily grammatical lessons. Students clearly grounded in spelling and grammar have a much better chance of formulating clear, cogent thoughts than students who have not experienced the benefits of these academic rigors. As I alluded to it before: Game, set and match.
NVBear78
GMP said:

NVBear78 said:

Yogi Bear said:

oskidunker said:

But everything Hell says is true?
Only if you're afraid of brown-skinned people

Woo hoo, the race card! What took you so long. And you talk about straw men....
You've got to be kidding. Hell's rant had dog's howling all cross the Bay Area.

Ah, the "dog whistle" card, love that one too!

And speaking of dog whistles it was hilarious to watch the Dem's political ad's before the June primary as the candidates competed to "out progressive" one another.

Recurring dog whistle themes included:

"I hate the Trump Agenda the most"

"I am the most pro open border" (after all why have borders at all)

"I am the most progressive candidate"
ducky23
helltopay1 said:

Dear GMP, Yogi, Bearister, Stu,Calumnus and all other like-minded paragons of political virtue: Today, it was just announced that non-citizens and illegal immigrants will be allowed to vote on the november school-board elections ion San Francisco. Game, set and match. I believe that there are seven official " wonders of the world." surely, the eighth wonder is that fewer and fewer school boards in this great nation are requiring their children to read the Constitution either during their grammar or high-school days. We were required to read it in the fourth grade growing up in SF. This was true for both private, catholic schools as well as public schools. And, after we read it, we were tested on it time and time again. Nobody graduated from the eighth grade without a thorough understanding of not only the constitution but also the many federalist papers which were and are the political and philosophical underpinnings of our great text. Today, many school boards not only do not require 'civics" but they also do not require Spelling as a daily intellectual task. Many school boards also do not require daily grammatical lessons. Students clearly grounded in spelling and grammar have a much better chance of formulating clear, cogent thoughts than students who have not experienced the benefits of these academic rigors. As I alluded to it before: Game, set and match.

Again agreeing with helltopay!!!

This is why trump is making America great again. Because of his masterful grasp of the constitution. Especially compared to that Muslim Obama who knows absolutely nothing about our constitution.
GMP
NVBear78 said:

GMP said:

NVBear78 said:

Yogi Bear said:

oskidunker said:

But everything Hell says is true?
Only if you're afraid of brown-skinned people

Woo hoo, the race card! What took you so long. And you talk about straw men....
You've got to be kidding. Hell's rant had dog's howling all cross the Bay Area.

Ah, the "dog whistle" card, love that one too!

And speaking of dog whistles it was hilarious to watch the Dem's political ad's before the June primary as the candidates competed to "out progressive" one another.

Recurring dog whistle themes included:

"I hate the Trump Agenda the most"

"I am the most pro open border" (after all why have borders at all)

"I am the most progressive candidate"
You don't seem to understand what a dog whistle is. Those are not dog whistles. Those are simply statements of their position. Dog whistles are, for example, hell say "so few illegals you could count them on one hand." In other words: brown people. Because there's no earthly way for hell to know, then or now, who was illegal or not. But he sees brown people, listens to Fox News, and makes a statement like that. Sad!
Civil Bear
oskidunker said:

Agree. I could care less what color someone isFreaks scare me. And there are plenty all over the city. This quote from another thread sums it up for me. I don't go to San Francisco much anymore because of this. Used to have Symphony season tickets , Chamber music and would go to various plays once in a while. Last time I walked through that Bart mess on my way to Curran theater it did it for me. I really hope they clean up the mess. Maybe conventions would not be cancelling if the city were not so unwelcoming and dirty.

It is most definitely not a safe neighborhood and I have lived in DC, and NYC. Have you visited recently? I see theft from the neighborhood Safeway very often ...I see poor tourists cars broken into virtually every day. You should see the level of frustration in the neighborhood with the human feces and the pictures of people doing attempted break in being posted all over. It may have been safe before but now. Also, my point is that violent crime is not the only thing that makes a city safe. The crazies that walk around screaming and clearly out of their minds does not make people feel safe .. and that's what really counts.

You only believe this because Fox News tells you to.
oskidunker
i dont watch fix news. i go by what I see.
Go Bears!
stu
helltopay1 said:

Dear GMP, Yogi, Bearister, Stu,Calumnus and all other like-minded paragons of political virtue:

I'm honored to be mentioned along with those who think virtue in politics is a good thing. Isn't that more or less the definition of virtue? Is the other side advocating more vice in politics?

Quote:

fewer and fewer school boards in this great nation are requiring their children to read the Constitution either during their grammar or high-school days.

I spent plenty of time in eighth grade (in California) studying the Constitution and we had to pass a test to graduate. I enjoyed the subject and still remember most of it. I don't recall studing any of the background material or any of the alternatives, like parliamentary systems.

I'm not sure but at that time (early 1960s) the Constitution test may have been a state requirement. We also had sports, including boy's basketball, but none of those were required for graduation.

I'm not a big fan of autonomous school boards because I think a reasonably common core curriculum is good for society. Having more than 10,000 school boards across the country provides IMHO too many opportunities for mischief.

Quote:

Students clearly grounded in spelling and grammar have a much better chance of formulating clear, cogent thoughts than students who have not experienced the benefits of these academic rigors.

I agree, and I'm grateful to have gotten a good dose of those in middle school. I also think studying another language is a great way to cement those concepts, much like doing arithmetic in another number base (we used base 7) illuminates the general principles.
BeachedBear
stu said:

Quote:

I agree, and I'm grateful to have gotten a good dose of those in middle school. I also think studying another language is a great way to cement those concepts, much like doing arithmetic in another number base (we used base 7) illuminates the general principles.

I'm trying to figure out how to bring this back to watching Cal players in the SF ProAm . . .

In the meantime, I am entertained watching this political spit-ball contest . . .

FWIW. I'm pretty sure that Hell2Pay and SFCity are older than me or my cousins, but not as old as my parents generation. Their recollections of SF prior to my experience are a treasure to hear about. I've spent most of my life in the Bay Area (grew up in the South Bay, went to Cal, worked most of my professional life in SF). During that time, I have spent most of my social and working life in San Francisco and shared roommates and friends who raised their kids there, etc. Basically from the 70's until now.

In terms of Safety, Cleanliness, Homelessness . . . I don't know what both sides are dreaming about, but it really hasn't changed that much overall. Maybe some neighborhood shifting and there have been swings in the homelessness and crime. But this idea that something political happened in the last few years or even decades is something I'm not buying. Like Oskidunker, I'm going with what I see. These problems have been around as long as I can remember.

There has been some negative impacts from gentrification in the last decade. There has also been a ridiculous cost increase that is Bay Area wide. So it's been like this most of my adult life. And my parents thought "The City" was wonderful in their day (Blue Fox, etc). So whatever happened to SF to turn H2P sour must be due to those in the generation between myself and my parents. Probably those people who are currently in their late 70's or early 80's

Similarly, the changes in Education are state-wide and NOT unique to SF. Having lived through the impact of Prop 13, I'm confident that the argument can be made pointing it out as the culprit. The primary backers of Prop 13? Now what party was that? Let me see . . . I'm confident H2P voted for it.

Anyway, for those unfamiliar with prop 13, when I started my public education in the late 60's, California was top 5 in spending (and most common measures of success). 12 years later, when I was off to Berkeley, California had dropped to bottom 5! And the quality of education followed. The last few years was full of cancelled classes, slighter curriculum, closing campuses. Now, Prop 13 does not deserve the entire blame (Poor labor negotiations, demographic changes and a couple of weird social experiments - new math, up with people, free to be you and me - didn't help either.)

SF PRO AM, This is something that HAS changed during my spectating lifetime. For the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to blame it on either political party, a specific generation or skin tone. I'm sure he can help us out there.
helltopay1
Dear Beached: You are right about 'older" San Franciscans expressing dismay about their beloved city. To generalize, I'd say asking anyone from 75 and up to comment on their city provided they actually grew up in the city will almost always bring a sad, shaking of their heads as well as quite a few tears. Theatre folks like to talk about " the shock of the new." Throw in alien planet (no---not those aliens) along with the 'new" and old-timers ( 75 and up) have a clear, verifiable experience with the preceding culture. The percentage of old-timers who feel that the current culture is equal to or better than the culture of their youth is probably less than 5 %. Listen to old-timers: They have a story to tell: and. if they are folks of good will, and, if you are a person of good will, you can generally separate the wheat from the chaff. The French had a revolution too. and, the first thing all those Progressive Frenchies did was to cut off the heads of all the people who disagreed with them. so much for tolerance!!!!!Lessons abound for those not given to hysterics and mob derangement. Of course, none of the above is as important as getting at least one scholarship back. Perspective lads---perspective!!!!
GMP
helltopay1 said:

Dear Beached: You are right about 'older" San Franciscans expressing dismay about their beloved city. To generalize, I'd say asking anyone from 75 and up to comment on their city provided they actually grew up in the city will almost always bring a sad, shaking of their heads as well as quite a few tears. Theatre folks like to talk about " the shock of the new." Throw in alien planet (no---not those aliens) along with the 'new" and old-timers ( 75 and up) have a clear, verifiable experience with the preceding culture. The percentage of old-timers who feel that the current culture is equal to or better than the culture of their youth is probably less than 5 %. Listen to old-timers: They have a story to tell: and. if they are folks of good will, and, if you are a person of good will, you can generally separate the wheat from the chaff. The French had a revolution too. and, the first thing all those Progressive Frenchies did was to cut off the heads of all the people who disagreed with them. so much for tolerance!!!!!Lessons abound for those not given to hysterics and mob derangement. Of course, none of the above is as important as getting at least one scholarship back. Perspective lads---perspective!!!!

GET OUT OF TOWN.
Quote:

"Children began to be the tyrants, not the slaves, of their households. They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room; they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up the dainties at table, and committed various offences against Hellenic tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the paidagogoi and schoolmasters."

-Kenneth John Freeman, 1907.

Hell, you (and your generation) are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
bearister
A couple of years ago I went to a lecture at the School of Business at my daughter's college and the professor said the biggest complaint of corporations today interviewing college students for jobs: their complete lack of decorum and the apparent inability to conduct themselves with any even if a gun was pointed at their head.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
helltopay1
DearBearister; Indeed. when I taught at UCLA in 1968-1969 students raised their hand to go to the bathroom. i'm exaggerating, of course, but you get the idea. Other posters on this site ( you know who you are) will not get the idea because their culture ( beginning in nursery school) did not predispose them to the etiquette your professor talked about.
helltopay1
Dear GMP: on the other hand, you belong to a unique and beautiful snowflake culture. snowflakes, of course, are soft and precious and mesmerizing at first glance and at first touch. However, they have a tendency to melt and wither and disappear at the slightest confrontation with nature or at the slightest provocation by non-snowflake types. Fortunately, this condition is usually curable. The usual antidotes are a good spanking, good therapy, and introductions to other points of view. As mona lisa Vito said, " oh, what a f------ nightmare."
GMP
helltopay1 said:

Dear GMP: on the other hand, you belong to a unique and beautiful snowflake culture. snowflakes, of course, are soft and precious and mesmerizing at first glance and at first touch. However, they have a tendency to melt and wither and disappear at the slightest confrontation with nature or at the slightest provocation by non-snowflake types. Fortunately, this condition is usually curable. The usual antidotes are a good spanking, good therapy, and introductions to other points of view. As mona lisa Vito said, " oh, what a f------ nightmare."

You:
Quote:

Personal judgement????In my day, there were no gangs, no homeless, no rampant drug use, no filthy streets, no spiraling home-price escalation, no hostility to businesses, so few illegals you could count them on one hand; you could walk around your neighborhood at midnight without fear of being accosted. public and private school education was top-notch . Religion was respected. Churches were full or nearly full every Sunday. nobody worried about free speech. people respected differences of opinion without shouting at them that they were racists, homophobes, sexists, etc. Teachers were respected and had the full backing of principals and school boards. Nobody sued the teacher because the teacher demanded respect, obedience and intellectual vigor. Bad apples were sent home and were not allowed back in the class unless the parents ( yes-----kids usually had two parents in this days) pleaded with the principal to give the wayward student one more chance. Fighting in class was automatic grounds for dismissal. yelling or fighting with the teacher was automatic grounds for dismissal. grade inflation had not yet been invented. Nobody automatically got a trophy just for showing up. trophies had to be earned. Baseball games were not terminated in the 5th inning because one team was at least 10 runs behind. In CYO basketball, no child was required to play at least one quarter. Playing was a privilege and you played because you deserved to play. parents were not allowed to browbeat coaches into giving their kid more vplaying time. Parents did even dream of doing this. Marriage was considered normal. Today, marriage is simply considered one more optional life-style choice. I have just begun to scratch the surface. Personal judgement?????Sad reality.
Me:
Quote:

I live here. I have young kids. I take them almost anywhere in this city. It's perfectly safe. As with anywhere, there are areas to avoid. Yes, homelessness is a problem, but the large majority mean no harm and present no threat. Among major cities, SF's violent crime rate is relatively low.

Which of us is "soft and precious" with the "tendency to melt and wither and disappear". That'd be you, Snowflake.
BearlyCareAnymore
GMP said:

helltopay1 said:

You:
Quote:

Personal judgement????In my day, there were no gangs, no homeless, no rampant drug use, no filthy streets, no spiraling home-price escalation, no hostility to businesses, so few illegals you could count them on one hand; you could walk around your neighborhood at midnight without fear of being accosted. public and private school education was top-notch . Religion was respected. Churches were full or nearly full every Sunday. nobody worried about free speech. people respected differences of opinion without shouting at them that they were racists, homophobes, sexists, etc. Teachers were respected and had the full backing of principals and school boards. Nobody sued the teacher because the teacher demanded respect, obedience and intellectual vigor. Bad apples were sent home and were not allowed back in the class unless the parents ( yes-----kids usually had two parents in this days) pleaded with the principal to give the wayward student one more chance. Fighting in class was automatic grounds for dismissal. yelling or fighting with the teacher was automatic grounds for dismissal. grade inflation had not yet been invented. Nobody automatically got a trophy just for showing up. trophies had to be earned. Baseball games were not terminated in the 5th inning because one team was at least 10 runs behind. In CYO basketball, no child was required to play at least one quarter. Playing was a privilege and you played because you deserved to play. parents were not allowed to browbeat coaches into giving their kid more vplaying time. Parents did even dream of doing this. Marriage was considered normal. Today, marriage is simply considered one more optional life-style choice. I have just begun to scratch the surface. Personal judgement?????Sad reality.
Me:
Quote:

I live here. I have young kids. I take them almost anywhere in this city. It's perfectly safe. As with anywhere, there are areas to avoid. Yes, homelessness is a problem, but the large majority mean no harm and present no threat. Among major cities, SF's violent crime rate is relatively low.

Which of us is "soft and precious" with the "tendency to melt and wither and disappear". That'd be you, Snowflake.

1. I'm so tired of the jackass snowflake insult.

2. Snowflake is basically the last whine of someone who can't handle that the world has changed

3. I have a rule that has been iron clad so far. He who first calls "Snowflake" is the snowflake
GMP
OaktownBear said:

GMP said:

helltopay1 said:

You:
Quote:

Me:
Quote:

1. I'm so tired of the jackass snowflake insult.

2. Snowflake is basically the last whine of someone who can't handle that the world has changed

3. I have a rule that has been iron clad so far. He who first calls "Snowflake" is the snowflake

While I used the word first here, it was not in the context you are referring, so I'm going to assume you are referring to Hell.
ducky23
Look at the end of the day, it comes down to this.

When your great grandchildren learn about the type of man/woman you were, whose side do you want to be on at this pivotal time in our history?

On the side of those who are misogynists, anti immigration, anti freedom of religion, anti lgbt, anti minority, anti free press, anti free trade, anti globalism, and anti environment?

If you're cool with that, god bless you
stu
BeachedBear said:

stu said:

Quote:

I'm trying to figure out how to bring this back to watching Cal players in the SF ProAm . . .
Maybe I should have mentioned Don Nelson having the Warriors practice with the guards playing inside and the bigs playing outside to help them understand team concepts.
Chapman_is_Gone
I came here to read about the SF Pro-Am, and you INCONSIDERATE A33HOLES won't shut up about politics. Thanks a lot.
Civil Bear
ducky23 said:

Look at the end of the day, it comes down to this.

When your great grandchildren learn about the type of man/woman you were, whose side do you want to be on at this pivotal time in our history?

On the side of those who are misogynists, anti immigration, anti freedom of religion, anti lgbt, anti minority, anti free press, anti free trade, anti globalism, and anti environment?

If you're cool with that, god bless you
Yeah, you sound like you got it all figured out.
GMP
Chapman_is_Gone said:

I came here to read about the SF Pro-Am, and you INCONSIDERATE A33HOLES won't shut up about politics. Thanks a lot.
And you're in violation of the Terms of Use/Code of Conduct, Posting Policy #15:

"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly:

15. An attempt to get around the profanity filter.

When a post is found to contain any of the above violations that post is subject to removal and the poster is subject to further action (See Moderator Actions)."

So, I guess we're even.
oskidunker
Chapman_is_Gone said:

agreed
Go Bears!
bearister
oskidunker said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

agreed

Chapman just agreed with himself?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oskidunker
This actually looks a little like Hell

Go Bears!
petalumabear
I think that T Bone is better looking than hell.
BeachedBear
Anyone have any suggestions where to get a good T-Bone after catching a SF ProAm game at Kezar? Who is playing this weekend? What can we look for?

:gobears

:whatwastheoriginalthreadtopicagain?
SFCityBear
Yogi Bear said:

helltopay1 said:

You sing the right-wing song well.

How bad do you feel about having voted for Trump?
SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

helltopay1 said:

You sing the right-wing song well.

How bad do you feel about having voted for Trump?

I agree mostly with Helltopay. What he tried to say is not right-wing, it is reality-wing. He is just describing conditions as he sees them today as compared to when he was growing up. He did not take this discussion political, you did, by first dissing the rant as right-wing, and then trying to insult Helltopay by surmising he voted for Trump, and as we all know Trump is responsible for anything wrong in the world of the Leftist from the beginning of time to the end of days.

If you look at the mayors of America's big cities, the cities with the most crime, ALL of them are run by Democrat Mayors and the big ones are run by well-entrenched Democrat Party political machines that have been doing this for decades. If there are crime and other problems of decay in San Francisco, and if a political party has any blame in that, it would be the Democrats, because there are no Republicans in power in SF, only a handful who live here who mostly don't vote anymore. The Democratic Party machine has controlled San Francisco since 1964, which was when San Francisco last had a Republican Mayor, George Christopher. Today, the Republican Party does not exist in SF, and they run no candidates for office in SF. Elections here are contested between liberals, leftists, communists, and corrupt machine politicians, all of them Democrats. Mike Shaughnessy a Democrat machine guy was Sheriff here forever, and finally retired. A friend of mine's son, Paul, worked his whole career in the Sheriff's office, rose to #2 in the department, was running for the Sheriff's office with the support of the Deputy Sheriff's Association. He was running against an Iranian Leftist named Ross Mirkarimi, who had been term-limited out of the Board of Supervisors, and the polls showed Paul winning easily. The Democrat Party big shots didn't want Paul to win, they wanted the Leftist. So they recruited a retired Irish cop to run in a three-way race. He siphoned off enough votes from Paul to let the Leftist Mirkarimi win.

When I grew up in San Francisco, there were gangs, but they weren't very dangerous. I grew up in the Haight. I was in a gang. We stole stuff. Shoplifted, or stole soda pop off trucks. There was another gang that hung out at St Agnes Youth Center, run by a Filipino kid, and its members were guys who wore motorcycle boots, shades, and chains for belts, which they could use in fights. They fought a lot. They used to drink beer, get in cars and drive over to the Mission and call out some Hispanics and start a fist fight. Throw some punches and then drive off. In the last 20 years or so, the Mission became home to gangs dealing drugs and killing people. You could get killed if you wore blue clothing on the side of the street where red was the favorite color of the gang there. We've had gangs in and around Chinatown forever. They extort money from restaurant owners, mug people, and sometimes kill people. They used to deal all the illegal fireworks, and they bought and ferried a constant supply of girls from Asia to work as slaves in SF's massage parlors. All while local law enforcement turned a blind eye. Anyone who thinks San Francisco is some kind of liberal oasis with little crime doesn't live in a rough area, or doesn't go out at night much.

The big thing that has changed over the years is the lack of respect for parents, for elders, for teachers, for cops, for signs, and for laws of any kind. When is the last time you saw a driver stop at a stop sign? I can honestly say I haven't seen a driver pulled over by a cop in SF for a moving violation in at least 10-15 years. Pedestrians get killed at an alarming rated in San Franciso, many of them hit-and run. That is a new thing. Hit and run. Happens more than ever. A guy rear-ended me in the Tenderloin and totaled my car, and drove off. Unfortunately for him, his license plate fell off, and I took it to a police station, and they traced it for me. The guy's insurance paid for a new car for me, but I wasn't satisfied. I called the District Attorney, and he said he couldn't prosecute the guy, because there was no injury, only vehicle damage, which is a misdemeanor.

The other big thing that has changed is how easily we are offended, how quick we become hysterical or violent as individuals. Children, youths, and adults used to settle disagreements with words, with their fists or with strength. Now they too often settle things with a gun. You get offended, you go get a gun and shoot the other kid. End of problem.

At least most drivers slow down a little for stop signs. Bicyclists blow through them with impunity. Two years ago, two pedestrians were killed by bicyclists in separate accidents, and both of the cyclists were let off with a slap on the wrist. SF is run for bicyclists. A few years back, they formed a mob called "Critical Mass" to force the city to create more bike lanes. They rode downtown on Friday night rush hour to block streets and intimidate drivers into fights. The City caved, and now we have bike lanes everywhere. It is maybe a good thing, overall, but is typical Leftist. Taraval street has had a bike lane for maybe 10 years now, and I finally saw my first bicyclist using the lane. They pay no attention to stop signs, or the laws that prohibit them from riding on sidewalks, or on paths in Golden Gate Park. Now we have skateboards and scooters on sidewalks and paths, and they are motorized to boot.

In my day, we had homeless, but they were in a small defined area, on Howard between 3rd and 4th streets. They were called "bums," "winos," or if they hopped trains, "hobos." They were polite and begged for money. When the Moscone Center was built, they moved to 6th street and the Tenderloin. When the Hippies came and left, homeless inhabited Stanyan and Golden Gate Park. Now they are almost everywhere. When Newsom was mayor, he spent a billion on them. Now I think we spend $37,000 per homeless person. The homeless flock to SF and other California cities because of our generous social programs for them. The Left does not want to eradicate or solve the problem, because it create lots of government programs, departments, and jobs, reqiring more taxes, along with raising a lot of money for charities, who also increase their workforce and donations. It is an industry, and a growing one. The budget for street cleaning is $65 million, and they just added $13 million for cleaning up feces, and voila, a new industry created. Who dares to say Democrats don't create jobs?

As we continue to permit or cultivate the attitude that people can do whatever they want, no matter who they offend, no matter what law or rule they break, and continue to pass restrictive laws but don't enforce them, we will have more deterioration in our cities. So far the only solution for these Democrat city governments has been to keep the ball rolling until they come up with a redevelopment plan to demolish the inner city slums and replace them with modern buildings for businesses and expensive housing, which drives the homeless and the poor and the criminal elements out to another city where the cycle begins anew. As for Ducky and Caltagjohnson in Montreux, don't be sure some of this is not coming soon to a theatre near you.

GMP
SFCityBear said:

I agree mostly with Helltopay. What he tried to say is not right-wing, it is reality-wing. He is just describing conditions as he sees them today as compared to when he was growing up. He did not take this discussion political, you did, by first dissing the rant as right-wing, and then trying to insult Helltopay by surmising he voted for Trump, and as we all know Trump is responsible for anything wrong in the world of the Leftist from the beginning of time to the end of days.

If you look at the mayors of America's big cities, the cities with the most crime, ALL of them are run by Democrat Mayors and the big ones are run by well-entrenched Democrat Party political machines that have been doing this for decades. If there are crime and other problems of decay in San Francisco, and if a political party has any blame in that, it would be the Democrats, because there are no Republicans in power in SF, only a handful who live here who mostly don't vote anymore. The Democratic Party machine has controlled San Francisco since 1964, which was when San Francisco last had a Republican Mayor, George Christopher. Today, the Republican Party does not exist in SF, and they run no candidates for office in SF. Elections here are contested between liberals, leftists, communists, and corrupt machine politicians, all of them Democrats. Mike Shaughnessy a Democrat machine guy was Sheriff here forever, and finally retired. A friend of mine's son, Paul, worked his whole career in the Sheriff's office, rose to #2 in the department, was running for the Sheriff's office with the support of the Deputy Sheriff's Association. He was running against an Iranian Leftist named Ross Mirkarimi, who had been term-limited out of the Board of Supervisors, and the polls showed Paul winning easily. The Democrat Party big shots didn't want Paul to win, they wanted the Leftist. So they recruited a retired Irish cop to run in a three-way race. He siphoned off enough votes from Paul to let the Leftist Mirkarimi win.

When I grew up in San Francisco, there were gangs, but they weren't very dangerous. I grew up in the Haight. I was in a gang. We stole stuff. Shoplifted, or stole soda pop off trucks. There was another gang that hung out at St Agnes Youth Center, run by a Filipino kid, and its members were guys who wore motorcycle boots, shades, and chains for belts, which they could use in fights. They fought a lot. They used to drink beer, get in cars and drive over to the Mission and call out some Hispanics and start a fist fight. Throw some punches and then drive off. In the last 20 years or so, the Mission became home to gangs dealing drugs and killing people. You could get killed if you wore blue clothing on the side of the street where red was the favorite color of the gang there. We've had gangs in and around Chinatown forever. They extort money from restaurant owners, mug people, and sometimes kill people. They used to deal all the illegal fireworks, and they bought and ferried a constant supply of girls from Asia to work as slaves in SF's massage parlors. All while local law enforcement turned a blind eye. Anyone who thinks San Francisco is some kind of liberal oasis with little crime doesn't live in a rough area, or doesn't go out at night much.

The big thing that has changed over the years is the lack of respect for parents, for elders, for teachers, for cops, for signs, and for laws of any kind. When is the last time you saw a driver stop at a stop sign? I can honestly say I haven't seen a driver pulled over by a cop in SF for a moving violation in at least 10-15 years. Pedestrians get killed at an alarming rated in San Franciso, many of them hit-and run. That is a new thing. Hit and run. Happens more than ever. A guy rear-ended me in the Tenderloin and totaled my car, and drove off. Unfortunately for him, his license plate fell off, and I took it to a police station, and they traced it for me. The guy's insurance paid for a new car for me, but I wasn't satisfied. I called the District Attorney, and he said he couldn't prosecute the guy, because there was no injury, only vehicle damage, which is a misdemeanor.

The other big thing that has changed is how easily we are offended, how quick we become hysterical or violent as individuals. Children, youths, and adults used to settle disagreements with words, with their fists or with strength. Now they too often settle things with a gun. You get offended, you go get a gun and shoot the other kid. End of problem.

At least most drivers slow down a little for stop signs. Bicyclists blow through them with impunity. Two years ago, two pedestrians were killed by bicyclists in separate accidents, and both of the cyclists were let off with a slap on the wrist. SF is run for bicyclists. A few years back, they formed a mob called "Critical Mass" to force the city to create more bike lanes. They rode downtown on Friday night rush hour to block streets and intimidate drivers into fights. The City caved, and now we have bike lanes everywhere. It is maybe a good thing, overall, but is typical Leftist. Taraval street has had a bike lane for maybe 10 years now, and I finally saw my first bicyclist using the lane. They pay no attention to stop signs, or the laws that prohibit them from riding on sidewalks, or on paths in Golden Gate Park. Now we have skateboards and scooters on sidewalks and paths, and they are motorized to boot.

In my day, we had homeless, but they were in a small defined area, on Howard between 3rd and 4th streets. They were called "bums," "winos," or if they hopped trains, "hobos." They were polite and begged for money. When the Moscone Center was built, they moved to 6th street and the Tenderloin. When the Hippies came and left, homeless inhabited Stanyan and Golden Gate Park. Now they are almost everywhere. When Newsom was mayor, he spent a billion on them. Now I think we spend $37,000 per homeless person. The homeless flock to SF and other California cities because of our generous social programs for them. The Left does not want to eradicate or solve the problem, because it create lots of government programs, departments, and jobs, reqiring more taxes, along with raising a lot of money for charities, who also increase their workforce and donations. It is an industry, and a growing one. The budget for street cleaning is $65 million, and they just added $13 million for cleaning up feces, and voila, a new industry created. Who dares to say Democrats don't create jobs?

As we continue to permit or cultivate the attitude that people can do whatever they want, no matter who they offend, no matter what law or rule they break, and continue to pass restrictive laws but don't enforce them, we will have more deterioration in our cities. So far the only solution for these Democrat city governments has been to keep the ball rolling until they come up with a redevelopment plan to demolish the inner city slums and replace them with modern buildings for businesses and expensive housing, which drives the homeless and the poor and the criminal elements out to another city where the cycle begins anew. As for Ducky and Caltagjohnson in Montreux, don't be sure some of this is not coming soon to a theatre near you.

I couldn't make this stuff up.
Yogi58
SFCityBear said:

He did not take this discussion political, you did, by first dissing the rant as right-wing, and then trying to insult Helltopay by surmising he voted for Trump, and as we all know Trump is responsible for anything wrong in the world of the Leftist from the beginning of time to the end of days.

All of what I said was true.

How bad do you feel for voting for Trump?
oskidunker
your truth
Go Bears!
Econ141
I found this gem on my Nextdoor app. This is isn't a one-off - there are many similar posts and keep in mind that this is in the marina/Fisherman's wharf/North Beach Area (first time posting an image - hope it works).

Image-1.jpg

helltopay1
Dear Yogi: any reasonable person of good will and with knowledge acquired in the third grade would have responded to the SF history provided by SF City Bear by saying, " thank you for the excellent history lesson of SF during a period of time when I was either not born or was simply too young or was living elsewhere during that time period---from now on, I will temper my thoughts and remarks with my new-found knowledge." The fact that you did not say this clearly indicates that you are impervious to factual information , and, in addition, continue to say things that would make a third-grader blush for being associated with you. I was going to offer the usual remedies ( spanking, therapy, prayer, an introductory course in Logic 101, but, on second thought, what is the point??? your only salvation is that your remarks are not serious and you only type them to get a rise out of certain people. I do hope that is the case.
Yogi58
helltopay1 said:

Dear Yogi: any reasonable person of good will and with knowledge acquired in the third grade would have responded to the SF history provided by SF City Bear by saying, " thank you for the excellent history lesson of SF during a period of time when I was either not born or was simply too young or was living elsewhere during that time period---from now on, I will temper my thoughts and remarks with my new-found knowledge." The fact that you did not say this clearly indicates that you are impervious to factual information , and, in addition, continue to say things that would make a third-grader blush for being associated with you. I was going to offer the usual remedies ( spanking, therapy, prayer, an introductory course in Logic 101, but, on second thought, what is the point??? your only salvation is that your remarks are not serious and you only type them to get a rise out of certain people. I do hope that is the case.
Here's the bottom line.

Your world view compelled you to vote for Trump for president, the least qualified man for the office in American history. You watch Fox News and are convinced that he is doing a good job, that the investigation into Russian interference in American affairs is bogus, and that he represents your interests. Trump represents nobody's interests but his own.

I have no more patience for people who voted for Trump and are happy with his performance. The country would be a better place if people like you stayed home on election day and didn't pollute the country with your white-centric views.
oskidunker
life is good.

Go Bears!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.