Breaking News

862,430 Views | 10889 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by bear2034
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AunBear89 said:

It isn't an insult to point out you were wrong.

Insulting is when you call people names when you disagree. Why is it ok for you to do that, but not others?

Great question.
oski003
DiabloWags said:

AunBear89 said:

It isn't an insult to point out you were wrong.

Insulting is when you call people names when you disagree. Why is it ok for you to do that, but not others?

Great question.

If you are genuinely interested, I only insult when I throw insults back at those who constantly insult others, often purposely with a similar insult to throw a mirror at these individuals. This is why Aunbear89 teased me about PeeWee Herman "I know you are but what am I?". Unfortunately, he and *cough cough* another person here lack the self-awareness to realize this.
movielover
AunBear89 said:

Science tends to have that effect on MAGAts and Righteous Righties.

You mean like Fauci's produced-in-China-and-untested Clot Shot?
movielover
MinotStateBeav
dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

AunBear89 said:

Yeah, I learned the lesson from COVID. Lefties blindly trusted the pharma co.'s and got untested clot shots that didn't work and had unknown side effects. Big Pharma made billions off you idiots. You think the regulatory agencies are here to protect you, when all they are here for is to protect Big Pharma from being sued. They could care less if you get injured from a pill or shot, just so long as they aren't held responsible for the consequences.

Which brings us to new science. Who's looking out for society?

Do you think the solution to the problem is less regulation?

Personally I am in favor of congress to de-construct every 3 letter agency and take a more active role and oversight ability on their functions. The CDC/FDA are basically protecting big pharma at his point. They have completely abused the power given to them by congress. Congress needs to completely start over on the 3 letter agencies with new leadership, new limits on their functions and more congressional oversight. There's no way the FBI should be able to be stonewalling the damn house in congress.
AunBear89
So, what you are saying is:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
movielover
How does a corrupt and purchased body reform corrupt Federal agencies?
MinotStateBeav
movielover said:

How does a corrupt and purchased body reform corrupt Federal agencies?
lol true....get lucky we get a couple honest politicians?
movielover
movielover
Washington Examiner: Majority say Biden DOJ makes US look like a 'banana republic'

"...Republican presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy, who tweeted: "This is an affront to every citizen: we cannot devolve into a banana republic where the party in power uses police force to arrest its political opponents. It's hypocritical for the DOJ to selectively prosecute Trump but not Biden." "

"In its latest survey previewed by Secrets, 58% of likely voters said Ramaswamy had it right. Some 46% agreed "strongly," said Rasmussen. Even 37% of Democrats agreed."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/washington-secrets/majority-say-biden-doj-makes-us-look-like-a-banana-republic
Big C

BREAKING NEWS: BI posters on the left and the right are using the Breaking News thread of the OT forum to squabble.
BearHunter

BREAKING: President Biden proposes new trans-ocean railroad from the Pacific to Indian Ocean to combat climate change.
MinotStateBeav
We're gonna need a bigger boat!
Big C
BearHunter said:

BREAKING: President Biden proposes new trans-ocean railroad from the Pacific to Indian Ocean to combat climate change.

This project may take a while (centuries?), but I will go out on a limb and predict it gets done before the high-speed train project in California.
Unit2Sucks
MinotStateBeav said:

dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

AunBear89 said:

Yeah, I learned the lesson from COVID. Lefties blindly trusted the pharma co.'s and got untested clot shots that didn't work and had unknown side effects. Big Pharma made billions off you idiots. You think the regulatory agencies are here to protect you, when all they are here for is to protect Big Pharma from being sued. They could care less if you get injured from a pill or shot, just so long as they aren't held responsible for the consequences.

Personally I am in favor of congress to de-construct every 3 letter agency and take a more active role and oversight ability on their functions. The CDC/FDA are basically protecting big pharma at his point. They have completely abused the power given to them by congress. Congress needs to completely start over on the 3 letter agencies with new leadership, new limits on their functions and more congressional oversight. There's no way the FBI should be able to be stonewalling the damn house in congress.
I think this is a great topic. The 3 letter agencies fall under the executive branch. A lot of conservatives believe that congress has essentially no right to oversee the executive branch and that POTUS should have almost unlimited power (unitary executive theory) when it comes to managing the executive branch. Of course they only express that view when a GOPer is in the white house.

When Trump was POTUS, they thought that the democratic led congress had no authority to subpoena or oversee the executive branch.

You seem to have taken the completely opposite position, which is interesting, but I'm not sure how you think you can support it under the constitution. Are you saying that in a perfect world you think that the President and Congress should have more shared responsibility for managing the agencies or do you have a different idea in mind?

I'm genuinely asking the question. I think that over the last 20+ years, due in part to the "unitary executive" GOPers and in part due to polarization, the checks in balances our framers envisioned have essentially failed and been shown to be illusory.

The other thing that has become clear is that congress is an absolute sh(t show and there is little hope to think that it will ever change. Due to SCOTUS' endorsement for partisan gerrymandering that produces very few contested districts, representatives are mostly incentivized toward extremism and I don't see any countervailing influence likely to change that. Because congress is more invested in maintaining their safe seats than they are in making this country a better place, they are unlikely to ever wield their oversight powers in anything other than support of their own party and re-election priorities. That's why we see the silly "weaponization" committee focus entirely on exacting partisan retribution - indeed weaponizing their oversight powers - than in actually doing anything useful for America.

I don't have any answers - the federal government is a dumpster fire right now and a lot of that is because the constitution isn't equipped to manage the system that resulted from 200+ years of operating within the constraints, but we are where we are. The constitution won't change and SCOTUS has largely abandoned it's original function as it has become a creature of political expedience with a magic wand it can wave to make things as the Federalist society demands.

So where does that leave us?
movielover
It's all Kabuki Theater. The IRS targeting conservatives - nothing happened, just Lois Lerner retires.

Congress spends their time in cubicles blocks from Congress with auto dialers, telling constituents what they want to hear.

The heads of these three letter agencies have to be confirmed - could true reformers make it through? Then there is the allegation the IC always has dirt on the key players. I believe we recently had evidence of them illegally spying on Congress. The perps and their bosses weren't fired.
movielover
Tucker Carlson - Dictatorship?

Unit2Sucks
Admittedly, I've been skeptical of the weaponization committee and all of the ridiculous baseless claims alleged by unhinged MAGATs but this has me convinced, The walls are closing in - I expect Biden, who the GOP has asserted is (x) immune from federal prosecution and (y) can squash any DOJ investigation into any criminal wrongdoing without limitations as a sitting POTUS and chief law enforcement officer of the land, will be indicted any day for the crimes alleged in this smoking gun ironclad allegation with absolutely no reason for skepticism.

BearHunter
Unit2Sucks said:

Admittedly, I've been skeptical of the weaponization committee and all of the ridiculous baseless claims alleged by unhinged MAGATs but this has me convinced, The walls are closing in - I expect Biden, who the GOP has asserted is (x) immune from federal prosecution and (y) can squash any DOJ investigation into any criminal wrongdoing without limitations as a sitting POTUS and chief law enforcement officer of the land, will be indicted any day for the crimes alleged in this smoking gun ironclad allegation with absolutely no reason for skepticism.

Joe Biden is wannabe dictator but even he knows the FD-1023 forms unlike the Steele Dossier, does not have a political origin. It is information provided by a highly credible and trusted confidential human source who has worked with the FBI for over a decade.
movielover
Grouper Biden fended off the boob by savvy actress.

BearHunter
Biden is so dumb and shameless but he also has a temper. if reporters keep pressing him about Ukraine, he's going to have an outburst for the ages like Colonel Jessup's character in a Few Good Men.
dimitrig
MinotStateBeav said:

dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

AunBear89 said:

So less regulation, more, or the same?
dimitrig
Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

AunBear89 said:

I think this is a great topic. The 3 letter agencies fall under the executive branch. A lot of conservatives believe that congress has essentially no right to oversee the executive branch and that POTUS should have almost unlimited power (unitary executive theory) when it comes to managing the executive branch. Of course they only express that view when a GOPer is in the white house.

When Trump was POTUS, they thought that the democratic led congress had no authority to subpoena or oversee the executive branch.

You seem to have taken the completely opposite position, which is interesting, but I'm not sure how you think you can support it under the constitution. Are you saying that in a perfect world you think that the President and Congress should have more shared responsibility for managing the agencies or do you have a different idea in mind?

I'm genuinely asking the question. I think that over the last 20+ years, due in part to the "unitary executive" GOPers and in part due to polarization, the checks in balances our framers envisioned have essentially failed and been shown to be illusory.

The other thing that has become clear is that congress is an absolute sh(t show and there is little hope to think that it will ever change. Due to SCOTUS' endorsement for partisan gerrymandering that produces very few contested districts, representatives are mostly incentivized toward extremism and I don't see any countervailing influence likely to change that. Because congress is more invested in maintaining their safe seats than they are in making this country a better place, they are unlikely to ever wield their oversight powers in anything other than support of their own party and re-election priorities. That's why we see the silly "weaponization" committee focus entirely on exacting partisan retribution - indeed weaponizing their oversight powers - than in actually doing anything useful for America.

I don't have any answers - the federal government is a dumpster fire right now and a lot of that is because the constitution isn't equipped to manage the system that resulted from 200+ years of operating within the constraints, but we are where we are. The constitution won't change and SCOTUS has largely abandoned it's original function as it has become a creature of political expedience with a magic wand it can wave to make things as the Federalist society demands.

So where does that leave us?

Congress can compel the executive branch to do things. It does it all the time such as with the Patriot Act.

The real problem is that Congress is inept at best and actively destroying our democracy at worst.

If it wasn't for the executive nothing would get done at all.

There's nothing wrong with our agencies other than Congress won't do their damn job.

Where that leaves us is with all the power concentrated in the executive so we better choose our Presidents wisely.

DiabloWags
E. Jean Carroll Defamation Trial vs Donald Trump set for January 2024.

Sounds like the Orange Man will be spending more time in Court than on the campaign trail.
movielover
Will her cat Vag-na be there?
AunBear89
oski003 said:

https://www.outkick.com/aja-wilson-wnba-player-pissed-off-by-biden-snubbing-lv-aces-championship-win-wheres-our-invite/

The Easter Bunny again finds a way to upset a black basketball star.

Aww, the wee little trolly troll's trolly thread started with this identical post got deleted.

Trolly trolls get cancelled.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
DiabloWags
AunBear89 said:

oski003 said:

https://www.outkick.com/aja-wilson-wnba-player-pissed-off-by-biden-snubbing-lv-aces-championship-win-wheres-our-invite/

The Easter Bunny again finds a way to upset a black basketball star.

Aww, the wee little trolly troll's trolly thread started with this identical post got deleted.

Trolly trolls get cancelled.

Wow.
A moderator actually cared about trolling.
Shocker!
MinotStateBeav
Having me answer how to fix the inept 3 letter agencies is a much bigger problem than I'm capable of giving an answer to really. I mean, this is a really huge issue that probably requires all the branches of government to work together likely lol.

First you have to identify the Agency and why it's a problem.
The root of what their task/purpose is (why was it created in the first place, if congress can just do it's job on its own without having another agency?)
Who has oversight to correct the agency, so that corruption can be stamped out quickly and transparently, can it even be corrected in its current state?
Does the new oversight powers to whoever actually fix the core issue?

These are the kind of questions that popped up in my head that can be like a start on reviewing the agencies. Should all the agencies go thru a review every 4 years after each presidential cycle? So that executive orders and congressional pork etc doesn't corrupt the intended purpose of each agency in each presidential cycle.

Another thing. Executive Orders. Can we get rid of that absolutely stupid function of the executive. I don't care if we wait until we have a republican in office to do it..but lets get rid of it the EXECUTIVE ORDER. A president isn't it's own fifedom. He should have to go to congress to get funding for a war, as our government was intended to work.
movielover
DiabloWags
MinotStateBeav said:

Another thing. Executive Orders. Can we get rid of that absolutely stupid function of the executive. I don't care if we wait until we have a republican in office to do it..but lets get rid of it the EXECUTIVE ORDER. A president isn't it's own fifedom. He should have to go to congress to get funding for a war, as our government was intended to work.

Your boy Trump signed 220 executive orders from January 2017 to January 2021.
That's one EO every week of his term.

List of executive orders by Donald Trump - Wikipedia

MinotStateBeav
DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Your boy Trump signed 220 executive orders from January 2017 to January 2021.
That's one EO every week of his term.

List of executive orders by Donald Trump - Wikipedia

Were you born with a half working brain or did you receive a brain injury in pre-school? read what I wrote again, then if it's still too difficult to understand, re-read it, until finally...the whole thing makes sense to you.
movielover
dimitrig
movielover said:

What's the problem?

Most Republicans think 14 year olds should be able to get married so why not change gender if that's what they want?

Goldener Bar

MinotStateBeav
Vote Blue No Matter Who - Seriously though guys? This guy is near Feinstein levels of acuity.

First Page Last Page
Page 191 of 312

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.