Breaking News

978,343 Views | 11764 Replies | Last: 17 min ago by movielover
movielover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
movielover
Another Osprey fatality off the coast of Japan, time to end this experiment?

https://apnews.com/article/japan-us-military-osprey-helicopter-crash-7d704ec5925826593aebcf0e7d1312ca
Unit2Sucks
Unit2Sucks said:

Meanwhile, as conservatives continue to pearl clutch over businesses not wanting their products to be advertised along side pro-nazi content, Univision refusing Biden campaign ads at the request of El Gordo. And nary a peep from these free speech conservatives. I guess they are too coming up with a defense for Trump calling people who don't vote for him vermin while still pretending that being called deplorables was beyond the pale.

Update on this prior discussion. Looks like the "liberal" media has once again proven that it is doing everything it can to make our elections competitive by helping Trump.

Cal88
Biden Sucks 3

dimitrig
Genocide Joe said:

If Twitter goes under we won't be blaming advertisers.
Biden Sucks 3
Unit2Sucks said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Meanwhile, as conservatives continue to pearl clutch over businesses not wanting their products to be advertised along side pro-nazi content, Univision refusing Biden campaign ads at the request of El Gordo. And nary a peep from these free speech conservatives. I guess they are too coming up with a defense for Trump calling people who don't vote for him vermin while still pretending that being called deplorables was beyond the pale.

Update on this prior discussion. Looks like the "liberal" media has once again proven that it is doing everything it can to make our elections competitive by helping Trump.

Big C
Cal88 said:

Definitely worth a visit, if you're going to be in France (like so many, many other places... pro tip: the less American tourists, the better the place... exception: D-Day beaches).

Vive la France!
Big C
movielover said:

DeSantis is dead meat on a platter... and he hasn't even hit that buzzsaw by the name of Gavin Newson yet!
movielover
Newsom's wife unflattering comments about the woman GN had an affair with.

https://redstate.com/jenvanlaar/2023/11/29/here-are-jennifer-siebel-newsoms-comments-about-gavin-employee-affair-n2166943
bearister
tRumples getting nervous when he starts opening up the playbook against Newsom. Guilfoye will come forward soon with animal sex stories. tRump has 2024 rigged. Why so nervous?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
bearister said:

tRumples getting nervous when he starts opening up the playbook against Newsom. Guilfoye will come forward soon with animal sex stories. tRump has 2024 rigged. Why so nervous?

Nobody in either party wants to run against Newsom. The French Laundry and the all-the-homeless and the picture-of-lying-on-the-rug attacks last for a few weeks and then what's left: a smart, good-looking, well-spoken, experienced-in-government, just-the-right-age, not-afraid-to-engage candidate who shares the opinions of a majority of Americans (tolerance and regulated-capitalism).
dimitrig
movielover said:

Newsom's wife unflattering comments about the woman GN had an affair with.

https://redstate.com/jenvanlaar/2023/11/29/here-are-jennifer-siebel-newsoms-comments-about-gavin-employee-affair-n2166943

What a nothingburger.

Now do Ivana and Marla.

tequila4kapp
Big C said:

bearister said:

Nobody in either party wants to run against Newsom. The French Laundry and the all-the-homeless and the picture-of-lying-on-the-rug attacks last for a few weeks and then what's left: a smart, good-looking, well-spoken, experienced-in-government, just-the-right-age, not-afraid-to-engage candidate who shares the opinions of a majority of Americans (tolerance and regulated-capitalism).
Nobody fears Newsom.
movielover
He's governing a state racked with homelessness, drug use, rampant poverty, drug and human smuggling cartels, skyrocketing energy prices, and a massive wealth gap. Citizens fleeing its major cities as a result of countless failed liberal policies, now replaced by 10 million illegal immigrants.

Newsom is an extension of Pelosi, minus the botox.
Cal88
Elections are 11 months away, how late can the Democrats do a switcheroo and yank Biden to replace him with a slicker version? And would Joe go along with it?
tequila4kapp
Cal88 said:

Elections are 11 months away, how late can the Democrats do a switcheroo and yank Biden to replace him with a slicker version? And would Joe go along with it?
That's a good question. Names have got to be on the ballots, probably fairly soon. And no, I do not believe Biden goes along with it. At all.
dajo9
It must be fun to be a republican and just craft fictional narratives and have an audience ready to eat up the slop
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
bearister
tequila4kapp said:

Nobody fears Newsom.

I fear but one man….

oski003
Not a huge fan of Newsom, but I'd vote for him over Trump or Biden.
bearister
oski003 said:

The debate should be interesting tonight. I saw Newsom get bushwhacked by Axios in an interview and was impressed with how he handled himself. After the interview Newsom said to the interviewer, "I thought you guys were going to go easy on me."

DeSantis is smart but the positions of the far Right are pretty tough to put lipstick on and sell to rational human beings. In any event, in the respective spin rooms, each will be declared a massive winner, and neither will gain or lose the support they had pre debate.

Hannity may not be unfair to Gavin since he appears on his show and tRump will want him to jam up DeSantis.
bear2034
oski003 said:

What would be your main reason you would vote Newsom over Trump?
oski003
bear2034 said:

oski003 said:

Trump is old, selfish, and offensive. Too much bad with the good.
bear2034
tequila4kapp said:

Cal88 said:

That's a good question. Names have got to be on the ballots, probably fairly soon. And no, I do not believe Biden goes along with it. At all.
The Democrats already have a VP in the wings, they can't afford to lose even a small percentage of the black vote by bypassing Kamala for Newsom. Besides, would Obama go along with it?
bear2034
oski003 said:

bear2034 said:

oski003 said:

Is the implication then that Newsom is selfless and generous? Is it the looks and the smile that gives someone the impression that he's good natured?
sycasey
bear2034 said:

oski003 said:

bear2034 said:

oski003 said:

Is the implication then that Newsome is selfless and generous?
Compared to Trump just about anyone is.
bear2034
sycasey said:

bear2034 said:

oski003 said:

bear2034 said:

oski003 said:

Then why not just stick with Biden?
bear2034
dajo9 said:

It must be fun to be a republican and just craft fictional narratives and have an audience ready to eat up the slop
Didn't CNN and NYT confirm that Hunter's laptop is real?
tequila4kapp
bear2034 said:

dajo9 said:

Didn't CNN and NYT confirm that Hunter's laptop is real?
Yes, and that signors of the CIA letter saying it was Russia misinformation knew it was real.
sycasey
bear2034 said:

sycasey said:

bear2034 said:

oski003 said:

bear2034 said:

oski003 said:

Then why not just stick with Biden?

I think I will.
Unit2Sucks
tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

bearister said:

Nobody fears Newsom.
Nobody wants to run against Newsom. I like some things about him and dislike others, but he's a strong politician who has a fighting chance in any election he's in.

He would wipe the floor with Trump or Desantis. He thinks on his feet well, looks like a politician, has experience and has some sort of consistent ideological position. He's not the extremist that a lot of the RWNJs pretend he is and would be able to push that case with facts. Unlike a lot of politicians that get easily confused or resort to babbling, he is very crisp and can generally answer any question put forth to him. He grandstands, but he offers a lot more than grandstanding.

He's not perfect by any stretch - among other things he's an elitist with a checkered past, sounds like a chain smoker and he used to be married to Kimberly Guilfoyle.

But c'mon, there is no GOP candidate who would prefer to face Newsom in 2024. I'm not sure there is any "scarier" potential democrat candidate in the stable.
tequila4kapp
He is a capable candidate but California is a good bit left of the rest of the country.

It's interesting speculation that doesn't matter, unless Biden dies.
bear2034
Newsom did clean up the streets of S.F,. not while mayor but as governor prior to Xi's visit.
Unit2Sucks
tequila4kapp said:

He is a capable candidate but California is a good bit left of the rest of the country.

It's interesting speculation that doesn't matter, unless Biden dies.
As much as right wing media and politicians like to paint California as being that far to the left, it's largely just weaponized outrage.

We might be a few percentage points to the left of the country as a whole but we are closer to the center than most red states.

Obviously California presents a threat to the conservative narrative, so they are entirely focused on cultivating outrage to both exaggerate the extent to which California leans progressive as well as constantly pretending that California is some sort of urban wasteland as a result of "liberal" policies. The intentional misrepresentation is based pretending California is entirely on LA + bay area, but we have a diverse state with 2m rural residents (close to the top 10) as well as large segments or urban and suburban. Gavin has more rural constituents than Desantis or Haley. California also has far more GOP registered voters than any other state.

In other words, Newsom's job as governor of California is a lot closer to being the POTUS of a large diverse nation like the US than any other governor. California tends to elect centrists (how far apart is Newsom from the Governator? How different was Jerry?) and forces them to govern that way. Most, but not all, of California''s perceived problems are externalities from the fact that it's one of the most desirable places to live in the world.

I also agree with your ultimate statement - it doesn't matter because Biden is going to be the nominee if he's still breathing. But thought it was worth weighing in on the original point - which is that Newsom would be a "feared" candidate and one that no one in the GOP would want to face in a national election.
bear2034
California is a racially diverse but its state politics is anything but diverse. The legislature is predominantly Democrat. What does a centrist Democrat look like these days? At the federal level, I'm not aware of any debate or friction between centrist Democrats and those on the far left.
First Page Last Page
Page 250 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.