Breaking News

857,805 Views | 10839 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by movielover
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

movielover said:

Thirty one percent of law enforcement agencies didn't report crime statistics in 2022.

"The missing agencies include the LAPD, the NYPD, and police departments in Phoenix, San Jose and New York's Suffolk County."
Yet despite the massive underreporting in 2022, crime statistics are lower now. Very impressive!
Did the same cities report previously? Are the statistics normalized to account for the missing big cities that traditionally have higher crime (I previously did some leg work and found the missing NYC stats showed nearly all categories of crime increased). Many actions have either been decriminalized or are not prosecuted which has the effect of artificially lowering reported "crimes", at least relative to prior year reporting.
MinotStateBeav
I'm posting news about Marrick Garland being in contempt of congress but you're deflecting very hard right now.
movielover
New hate crimes.

Eastern Oregon Bear
tequila4kapp said:

movielover said:

Thirty one percent of law enforcement agencies didn't report crime statistics in 2022.

"The missing agencies include the LAPD, the NYPD, and police departments in Phoenix, San Jose and New York's Suffolk County."
Yet despite the massive underreporting in 2022, crime statistics are lower now. Very impressive!
Did the same cities report previously? Are the statistics normalized to account for the missing big cities that traditionally have higher crime (I previously did some leg work and found the missing NYC stats showed nearly all categories of crime increased). Many actions have either been decriminalized or are not prosecuted which has the effect of artificially lowering reported "crimes", at least relative to prior year reporting.
Read the news story and you'll know as much as I do. I'm not sure why this is a difficult concept.

It does call the data preliminary and for 77% of the US population. It doesn't go into what places have yet to report their data.

It refers to statistics for murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault and property crime. I doubt those have been decriminalized with the possible exception of minor property damage.
oski003

tequila4kapp said:

movielover said:

Read the news story and you'll know as much as I do. I'm not sure why this is a difficult concept.

It does call the data preliminary and for 77% of the US population. It doesn't go into what places have yet to report their data.

It refers to statistics for murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault and property crime. I doubt those have been decriminalized with the possible exception of minor property damage.

I agree that murder and rape have not been decriminalized. The rest, however, have been to a certain degree. I do believe the decriminalization of property crimes has allowed police to focus more on catching and preventing murder and rape. Police are also aided tremendously by technology. They have a better chance to catch what they focus on. Unfortunately, they don't catch the things they don't focus on, and people just need to be careful and fend for themselves. We don't park cars outside our house overnight because we don't want to risk them being broken into or having our catalytic converters sawed off. We don't lock up our bikes outside of our eyesight. If we go to the beach, we bring them up on the sand. Just the other day, I went up a street in San Diego near the airport while driving to a hotel. I passed a guy who had a tent, five bags of luggage, about 10 bikes (some with parts taken), and a pile of about 500 bike parts from many different bikes. How do the cops not do anything about this?
movielover
movielover
movielover

bearister
movielover said:

What is the evidence that indicates any involvement in or connection to the specific controversies facing Combs on Obama's part?
Oh, and BTW,
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
MinotStateBeav
So many people in this country don't realize how poor the state of the public education system is right now. I saw it first hand when I went from 2 years in Private HS and transferred into a Richmond Public HS for 2 years (in the 90s). I was 2 or 3 years ahead of my peers in the Richmond HS and this was including me taking religious classes. Honestly the whole education system needs to be torn down and rebuilt at this point, just not sure a public education system works with a teachers union. I'm not anti-union, but I think unions aren't good things to have in Public/Gov't employment.
dajo9
MinotStateBeav said:

I'm not anti-union, but I think unions aren't good things to have in Public/Gov't employment.

Agreed. And that goes for police and firefighters and all of them.
American Vermin
movielover
John Stossel: Success [charter] Academy shines in Harlem! * 7 minutes *

- teachers often work until 5 PM
- high expectations
- huge application #s for limited spots
- unions / govt fight expanding opportunities
- Success only gets 50% of the money city schools receive
- teachers are monitored & given feedback

AP class results
- public HS = 50% pass
- Success HS = 80% pass; 100% enter college

movielover
China's hidden misery

movielover
Finally, medical leaders stand up against the lunacy of child sex change operations. Two minutes.

movielover
movielover
Big C

^ Bump. In case you haven't been keeping up with the latest breaking news, movielover has taken the time to update this thread with several contributions (above)*, carefully curated for the discerning Cal alum. Enjoy!

* tastes will vary, but my two favs are... a) the Bulgarian princess and... b) the one about China that isn't sourced
dajo9
Overall inflation is exactly where it should be and has been since summer 2023
https://www.threads.net/@paulkrugman7/post/C8ROVHBIqHI/?xmt=AQGzLix-m_0o2fknHgZWLCtZ9mr3-45h38_usi78qxGUQg
American Vermin
movielover
RFK Jr calls for the elimination of all voting machines.

movielover
Tape released two years after Buckhead shooting. Suspect had a gun in a restaurant, acting erratically, police tazed him. Suspect allegedly shot a security officer as he ran out, police then shot him. Ugly.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/buckhead-steakhouse-2022-shooting-apd-defends-response-family-friends-protests
bear2034
movielover said:

Voting machine contract under scrutiny following discrepancies in Puerto Rico's primaries.

The problem stemmed from a software issue that caused machines supplied by Dominion Voting Systems to incorrectly calculate vote totals...

Voting machine contract under scrutiny following discrepancies in Puerto Rico's primaries - ABC News (go.com)
MinotStateBeav

okaydo
movielover
movielover
Union protections / DEI / obesity.

bear2034
Fentanyl is everywhere in the state of California but no one is pressuring Governor Newsom to do something...anything?
bear2034
MinotStateBeav said:

Yikes! Schumer likes his cheese with raw ground beef?
AunBear89
And Trump likes his prime beef well done, covered in ketchup. They're both clowns. Move on.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bear2034
AunBear89 said:

And Trump likes his prime beef well done, covered in ketchup. They're both clowns. Move on.
I'm pleased to know you think Schumer is a clown too.
AunBear89
That's the point your smooth brain keeps missing: they are ALL clowns. Democrats are spineless, wishy-washy clowns, beholden to their corporate donors and thus incapable of enacting truly meaningful legislation.

Republicans are evil and moronic clowns, bent on the destruction of democracy and the establishment of Christian Theocracy, as well as being paid for by their corporate donors.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
bear2034 said:

movielover said:

Voting machine contract under scrutiny following discrepancies in Puerto Rico's primaries.

The problem stemmed from a software issue that caused machines supplied by Dominion Voting Systems to incorrectly calculate vote totals...

Voting machine contract under scrutiny following discrepancies in Puerto Rico's primaries - ABC News (go.com)

How much ya figure Fox News spent trying to turn up evidence that Dominion Voting Systems is sketch before it delivered its check to Dominion for $787,000,000 for slandering the company?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bear2034
AunBear89 said:

That's the point your smooth brain keeps missing: they are ALL clowns. Democrats are spineless, wishy-washy clowns, beholden to their corporate donors and thus incapable of enacting truly meaningful legislation.

Republicans are evil and moronic clowns, bent on the destruction of democracy and the establishment of Christian Theocracy, as well as being paid for by their corporate donors.

You got it backwards, Republicans are spineless and dumb for refusing to use their power while Democrats are evil and more than happy to break the rules. Bearister knows that it's the Democrats who are the ballers.
bear2034
bearister said:

bear2034 said:

movielover said:

How much ya figure Fox News spent trying to turn up evidence that Dominion Voting Systems is sketch before they delivered its check to Domnion for $787,000,000 for slandering the company?

Who cut the check? The Murdoch family? They aren't on Team Trump.
Big C
bear2034 said:

AunBear89 said:

You got it backwards, Republicans are spineless and dumb for refusing to use their power while Democrats are evil and more than happy to break the rules. Bearister knows that it's the Democrats who are the ballers.

Opposite. It took some spine (for lack of a better word) for the Republicans to pack the Supreme Court like they did.

Most of the times when a Dem President makes a Supreme Court nomination, they bend over backwards to select someone who they think won't anger the Republicans in the Senate too much. (Obama: "You guys kinda like Merrick Garland, right? Here you go!" Mitch McConnell: "You think this is softball, but it's actually hardball."

When a GOP President makes a nomination, not only is the nominee really conservative, they're usually young and will be on the court for 25+ years. That's usin' your power!
bear2034
Big C said:

bear2034 said:

AunBear89 said:

Opposite. It took some spine (for lack of a better word) for the Republicans to pack the Supreme Court like they did.

Most of the times when a Dem President makes a Supreme Court nomination, they bend over backwards to select someone who they think won't anger the Republicans in the Senate too much. (Obama: "You guys kinda like Merrick Garland, right? Here you go!" Mitch McConnell: "You think this is softball, but it's actually hardball."

When a GOP President makes a nomination, not only is the nominee really conservative, they're usually young and will be on the court for 25+ years. That's usin' your power!

That's not what packing the Court means. And Obama's boy, Garland, was just held in contempt by Congress as Biden's AG.
First Page Last Page
Page 307 of 310

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.