Breaking News

747,022 Views | 10246 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by bear2034
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Bobodeluxe
Gawd Bless This Shining City on the Hill.
B.A. Bearacus
Similar but different when Putin drives Trump around.
Anarchistbear
In New Jersey this also admits you into the high occupancy vehicle lane.
okaydo

bearister
..and the recipient is texting about fabric for the den remodel.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
joe amos yaks
Was she a $Toejam?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
okaydo

concordtom
Okaydo,
I could have gone all day without that!

You elicited the same reaction as that photo of the guy stuffing the sandwich in his mouth or the foot in the mouth. Worse, actually.. PUKE CITY.

Too bad we can't change the title of this thread from Breaking News to Read if you want to Vomit?

No thanks.
Another Bear

B.A. Bearacus
concordtom said:

Okaydo,

You elicited the same reaction as that photo of the guy stuffing the sandwich in his mouth or the foot in the mouth. Worse, actually.. PUKE CITY.

Too bad we can't change the title of this thread from Breaking News to Read if you want to Vomit?

No thanks.
Okaydo, can you please apologize to Concordtom?
Another Bear
Ah those lads...ever the wankers.
okaydo
B.A. Bearacus said:

concordtom said:

Okaydo,

No thanks.
Okaydo, can you please apologize to Concordtom?

Yes, I'm sorry ConcordTom. I will try to make sure this thread is entirely about Cal alum breaking news.

okaydo

okaydo

okaydo
Another Bear
Supreme Court refuses to take up Martins Beach case. Surfers, beachgoers relieved

B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus
Impressive.

Another Bear
okaydo

NYCGOBEARS
What happens in Jersey stays in Jersey... except on weekends when they come into the city, of course.
bearister
Barbara Bach looking good. Her sister is married to Joe Walsh.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo

B.A. Bearacus
going4roses
What the hell is going on here
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
B.A. Bearacus
Sweet little moment between the two leaders of the free world and a sweet 101-year-old lady.

Another Bear
Not news but a great demonstration how sound tracks work.

The original:

With new sound track:
Another Bear
Sex robot conference featuring Steve Bannon implodes as he loses multiple Montana speaking gigs

Super weird dude and a god damm Nazi.
B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus
blungld
B.A. Bearacus said:

At risk of getting "war on Xmas" type responses, why do we use terms like "So help me God" as part of swearing in? They are not becoming Bishops, they are swearing to serve in government and defend the office and Constitution. Is that not the higher authority, and the people themselves, to whom they are accountable? Or are they supposed to only abide by their oath for fear that God will punish them?

Separation of Church and State aside (which is equally good reason for not doing this), this seems to be totally illogical and antithetical to the purpose of the swearing in. It in fact seems to justify the breaking or diminishing of the laws of man, or the laws of the land to which they are being sworn to serve, and instead ascribing their REAL responsibility to serving the laws of God (whose God, which faith?).

How about instead they do the job of serving the people and protecting the Constitution rather than serving religion, self-interest, money, or party over country, and swear to resign office if they violate this oath?

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
golden sloth
blungld said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

At risk of getting "war on Xmas" type responses, why do we use terms like "So help me God" as part of swearing in? They are not becoming Bishops, they are swearing to serve in government and defend the office and Constitution. Is that not the higher authority, and the people themselves, to whom they are accountable? Or are they supposed to only abide by their oath for fear that God will punish them?

Separation of Church and State aside (which is equally good reason for not doing this), this seems to be totally illogical and antithetical to the purpose of the swearing in. It in fact seems to justify the breaking or diminishing of the laws of man, or the laws of the land to which they are being sworn to serve, and instead ascribing their REAL responsibility to serving the laws of God (whose God, which faith?).

How about instead they do the job of serving the people and protecting the Constitution rather than serving religion, self-interest, money, or party over country, and swear to resign office if they violate this oath?
I completely agree. I was raised Catholic but knew religion was not for me in the third grade when my CCD teacher didn't adequately answer my question on where god came from. I consider myself not religious, and I don't like how religion is so ingrained within our society. Its all the minor stuff, like making kids say the pledge of allegiance everyday which requires the phrase one nation under god (which was added to the pledge in 1954).

Unfortunately, I believe this is a fight for the next generation. Institutional religion acts as a nuisance to the non-religious rather than an impediment to people, and I'd rather work on securing voting rights, equal protection and justice, and equal access for all instead of removing the words 'In God We Trust' or the bible from the institutional sphere.
blungld
golden sloth said:

I completely agree. I was raised Catholic but knew religion was not for me in the third grade when my CCD teacher didn't adequately answer my question on where god came from. I consider myself not religious, and I don't like how religion is so ingrained within our society. Its all the minor stuff, like making kids say the pledge of allegiance everyday which requires the phrase one nation under god (which was added to the pledge in 1954).

Unfortunately, I believe this is a fight for the next generation. Institutional religion acts as a nuisance to the non-religious rather than an impediment to people, and I'd rather work on securing voting rights, equal protection and justice, and equal access for all instead of removing the words 'In God We Trust' or the bible from the institutional sphere.
I don't like it for secular reasons, but more than that I don't like how it positions their accountability to a God or afterlife rather than serving us and working to ensure that our lives right now is protected by our Constitution. They are CIVIL servants, not apostles.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Last Page
Page 1 of 293

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.