Breaking News

982,466 Views | 11787 Replies | Last: 41 min ago by movielover
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

oski003 said:

Why isn't the news making a big deal out of this?
Keep focusing on 2020 election would be an idiot move by the Republicans. This country is such a mess, both parties need to discuss things people care about, including inflation, economy and crime. The election has been over litigated with all claims of fraud shown to be mostly unsubstantiated and sometimes perpetrated by Republicans. If the Republican platform is let's do everything possible to worship and idolize at the temple of Trump and stroke his ego, then screw the party. If they discuss their plans to control inflation, get us out of the inevitable recession, restore energy independence, and reduce crime, this will be one of the biggest landslides for the Republicans in 2022 and 2024.

I'm not sure it really matters. The entire message is and has been grievance and culture wars. There is no policy agenda - other than being oppositional. Is focusing on made up election fraud any worse than focusing on made up CRT or caravan crises?

What you want you won't find in the modern Republican Party. They aren't interested in governance, drafting legislation or making a difference in our country. They are interested in turning politics into professional wrestling because they have an advantage there.

It seems that way. But it comes down to whether I prefer the do nothing Republicans who just fight stupid culture wars or whether I prefer the do all the wrong fiscal things Democrats who also fight stupid culture wars. The only thing that can tip the scales is Trump and his craziness. If I were the Republicans, I would not play up to that too much. Where are the MAGA going to go? To Harris? The idea of Harris being president won't motivate them to vote just because the platform is not focused on Trump or Trump is not the candidate?

What do you think the Republican Party is going to do? I bet you can guess with a high degree of accuracy and it's not going to be what you would propose they do.

"Dem Doom" in November might not end up being as bad as some predict. People are always looking for something to gripe about and that often falls on the incumbent politicians. But when the Dems getting blamed are actually put up against a Republican wacko, they suddenly might not look so bad. Overall, the Republican Party is gradually becoming more and more of a minority party.
They better hope so. They will not be able to run on how much better we are on inflation, immigration, or world stability. But at the end of the day, it will just come down to the inflation and upcoming recession and how long the stagflation will last when it hits. Voters will be angry and will be even further angered the more they talk about culture issues (other than abortion) instead of how they will fix this. And they will most likely take it out on the party that had control of both the white house and congress without thinking about inter-party fights, filibuster, etc.

Remind me again why immigration is a problem for democrats. Are immigrants stealing all our jobs or is it something else? As far as I can tell, immigration as a massive problem is mostly a construct of right wing media. I get why people complain about inflation and some other problems but how many people complaining about inflation actually experience any issues directly resulting from democrat policies that would be resolved by Republican politicians?

I think we both know that there is no meaningful policy that Republicans would enact if elected. They don't even have a wishlist except for rolling back individual liberties and fighting the culture war.

Doesn't mean that they won't be successful but I don't think we have to pretend like immigration is some differentiated advantage for Republicans just because they pretend to care about it.

It may not seem like an issue in the Bay Area but any chance of Arizona or Texas becoming purple states is fading with lack of sensical immigration policy at the border. I would like the old Republican policies on immigration - expand legal immigration to bring the smartest, create competition and help us innovate. It was the Democrats of old catering to working class who fought against immigration and global trade. But we really don't need more unskilled manual labor. There is a reason why even Democrats are complaining about Biden's immigration policies in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Just because it is not a problem in the Bay Area does not mean it is not a hot topic for those closer to the border. Everything I am reading is that immigration will influence election in the border states. It is not a winning issue for the Democrats.

This is not really an opinion from me on immigration since neither party has logical immigration policies but an explanation on why I believe immigration will be another reason the Democrats will get slaughtered in 2022
and why, as retribution, every Squad member will get kicked out of every committee by the far right Republicans pressuring the new speaker.

If you're saying immigration isn't really a nationwide issue, I would agree. It does appear to be a cornerstone of the Republican ethos for some reason however.

I don't disagree with what you say the old Republican policies were, but when was that the case? As far as I can tell, Republicans are preventing the expansion of legal immigration because they aren't interested in having the smartest help us innovate, since they know those people will all come to blue states which Republicans have no interest in improving.

As far as I can tell, Republicans don't have any answers on immigration and merely seek to call it a problem for which they can blame the democrats. Other than cyclical variation as a result of economic factors, I don't see much difference in immigration outcomes from one administration to the next. The wall was stupid and inconsequential. I'm sure they will find another caravan to scare voters in the fall, and Fox News will pretend it's an invasion at the southern border to support the pravda campaign.

I will give the republicans credit for one thing, they are much tighter with their messaging and their base falls for it. As we've seen from Jan 6 texts, they keep Fox News personalities in lock step with their messaging and manage to stay pretty disciplined in how they gaslight their base. Too bad they aren't interested in helping this country.

I would say Reagan and the Bushes. Trump was really the first who started embracing what used to be Bernie Sanders' call against immigration and call for trade barriers.

I agree Republicans too often put Trump or party above country but I don't think most voters view Biden or congress exactly having helped this country since 2020. The polls bear that out pretty clearly. I may never vote for Trump or his acolytes but I am not looking to vote for Biden approaching 90 or Harris who has accomplished nothing or shown any level of competence or leadership. If those two are the best this country has to offer, screw it. But no matter what I believe on who is better, I am 100% certain both houses are going to the Republicans by a large margin.
Yes, I think the house is toast but it has very little to do with actions taken or failed to be taken by the Biden administration. The sickness was in the mail - the economic overhang from COVID was going to happen this year and no president was going to fix it by executive order. Republicans haven't suggested a single thing to address the economic problems we are facing (or really any problems). They aren't interested in solutions because they get more traction from grievance and culture wars.

I'm not sure why you think the senate will go republican by a large margin however. The democrats have a pretty good map - they are only defending 14 seats and at most will lose 3. Don't get me wrong, I think it's more likely than not that Warnock loses his seat and that the Republicans take the senate, I just don't think we're getting to a significant majority for Republicans. Not that it matters since with 50 seats + Manchinema + filibuster, the Republicans already have everything they need to prevent Democrats from doing anything about any of the problems Republicans pretend to care about.
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

oski003 said:

Keep focusing on 2020 election would be an idiot move by the Republicans. This country is such a mess, both parties need to discuss things people care about, including inflation, economy and crime. The election has been over litigated with all claims of fraud shown to be mostly unsubstantiated and sometimes perpetrated by Republicans. If the Republican platform is let's do everything possible to worship and idolize at the temple of Trump and stroke his ego, then screw the party. If they discuss their plans to control inflation, get us out of the inevitable recession, restore energy independence, and reduce crime, this will be one of the biggest landslides for the Republicans in 2022 and 2024.

I'm not sure it really matters. The entire message is and has been grievance and culture wars. There is no policy agenda - other than being oppositional. Is focusing on made up election fraud any worse than focusing on made up CRT or caravan crises?

What you want you won't find in the modern Republican Party. They aren't interested in governance, drafting legislation or making a difference in our country. They are interested in turning politics into professional wrestling because they have an advantage there.

It seems that way. But it comes down to whether I prefer the do nothing Republicans who just fight stupid culture wars or whether I prefer the do all the wrong fiscal things Democrats who also fight stupid culture wars. The only thing that can tip the scales is Trump and his craziness. If I were the Republicans, I would not play up to that too much. Where are the MAGA going to go? To Harris? The idea of Harris being president won't motivate them to vote just because the platform is not focused on Trump or Trump is not the candidate?

What do you think the Republican Party is going to do? I bet you can guess with a high degree of accuracy and it's not going to be what you would propose they do.

"Dem Doom" in November might not end up being as bad as some predict. People are always looking for something to gripe about and that often falls on the incumbent politicians. But when the Dems getting blamed are actually put up against a Republican wacko, they suddenly might not look so bad. Overall, the Republican Party is gradually becoming more and more of a minority party.
They better hope so. They will not be able to run on how much better we are on inflation, immigration, or world stability. But at the end of the day, it will just come down to the inflation and upcoming recession and how long the stagflation will last when it hits. Voters will be angry and will be even further angered the more they talk about culture issues (other than abortion) instead of how they will fix this. And they will most likely take it out on the party that had control of both the white house and congress without thinking about inter-party fights, filibuster, etc.

Remind me again why immigration is a problem for democrats. Are immigrants stealing all our jobs or is it something else? As far as I can tell, immigration as a massive problem is mostly a construct of right wing media. I get why people complain about inflation and some other problems but how many people complaining about inflation actually experience any issues directly resulting from democrat policies that would be resolved by Republican politicians?

I think we both know that there is no meaningful policy that Republicans would enact if elected. They don't even have a wishlist except for rolling back individual liberties and fighting the culture war.

Doesn't mean that they won't be successful but I don't think we have to pretend like immigration is some differentiated advantage for Republicans just because they pretend to care about it.

It may not seem like an issue in the Bay Area but any chance of Arizona or Texas becoming purple states is fading with lack of sensical immigration policy at the border. I would like the old Republican policies on immigration - expand legal immigration to bring the smartest, create competition and help us innovate. It was the Democrats of old catering to working class who fought against immigration and global trade. But we really don't need more unskilled manual labor. There is a reason why even Democrats are complaining about Biden's immigration policies in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Just because it is not a problem in the Bay Area does not mean it is not a hot topic for those closer to the border. Everything I am reading is that immigration will influence election in the border states. It is not a winning issue for the Democrats.

This is not really an opinion from me on immigration since neither party has logical immigration policies but an explanation on why I believe immigration will be another reason the Democrats will get slaughtered in 2022
and why, as retribution, every Squad member will get kicked out of every committee by the far right Republicans pressuring the new speaker.

If you're saying immigration isn't really a nationwide issue, I would agree. It does appear to be a cornerstone of the Republican ethos for some reason however.

I don't disagree with what you say the old Republican policies were, but when was that the case? As far as I can tell, Republicans are preventing the expansion of legal immigration because they aren't interested in having the smartest help us innovate, since they know those people will all come to blue states which Republicans have no interest in improving.

As far as I can tell, Republicans don't have any answers on immigration and merely seek to call it a problem for which they can blame the democrats. Other than cyclical variation as a result of economic factors, I don't see much difference in immigration outcomes from one administration to the next. The wall was stupid and inconsequential. I'm sure they will find another caravan to scare voters in the fall, and Fox News will pretend it's an invasion at the southern border to support the pravda campaign.

I will give the republicans credit for one thing, they are much tighter with their messaging and their base falls for it. As we've seen from Jan 6 texts, they keep Fox News personalities in lock step with their messaging and manage to stay pretty disciplined in how they gaslight their base. Too bad they aren't interested in helping this country.

I would say Reagan and the Bushes. Trump was really the first who started embracing what used to be Bernie Sanders' call against immigration and call for trade barriers.

I agree Republicans too often put Trump or party above country but I don't think most voters view Biden or congress exactly having helped this country since 2020. The polls bear that out pretty clearly. I may never vote for Trump or his acolytes but I am not looking to vote for Biden approaching 90 or Harris who has accomplished nothing or shown any level of competence or leadership. If those two are the best this country has to offer, screw it. But no matter what I believe on who is better, I am 100% certain both houses are going to the Republicans by a large margin.
Yes, I think the house is toast but it has very little to do with actions taken or failed to be taken by the Biden administration. The sickness was in the mail - the economic overhang from COVID was going to happen this year and no president was going to fix it by executive order. Republicans haven't suggested a single thing to address the economic problems we are facing (or really any problems). They aren't interested in solutions because they get more traction from grievance and culture wars.

I'm not sure why you think the senate will go republican by a large margin however. The democrats have a pretty good map - they are only defending 14 seats and at most will lose 3. Don't get me wrong, I think it's more likely than not that Warnock loses his seat and that the Republicans take the senate, I just don't think we're getting to a significant majority for Republicans. Not that it matters since with 50 seats + Manchinema + filibuster, the Republicans already have everything they need to prevent Democrats from doing anything about any of the problems Republicans pretend to care about.

You're probably right about the Senate.

Doesn't matter how much a President can influence. First of all, nothing about the way Biden or Harris communicates or carry themselves gives anyone any confidence that they have any clue how to lead us even slightly to a better place. I mean compare Obama with Biden or Harris. Whether I agreed with him or not, I never questioned Obama's or Hillary's competence. With Biden/Harris, I just keep crossing my fingers that they don't screw this up more. Almost approaching the inject Clorox to kill COVID or is Finland part of Russia level of incompetence.

No matter what, Biden is the president and the democrats are in control of Congress. Just like a CEO gets the axe when there are too many disappointing quarters, Biden's party will pay not because the other side is better but because the democrats are iin power and the country has become a mess since they were elected. That's what the voters will remember. Just how it has always been. No one is going to vote for the Dems if their excuse is we can't change **** because everything is out of our control but vote for us anyway.
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

oski003 said:

Doesn't matter how much a President can influence. First of all, nothing about the way Biden or Harris communicates or carry themselves gives anyone any confidence that they have any clue how to lead us even slightly to a better place. I mean compare Obama with Biden or Harris. Whether I agreed with him or not, I never questioned Obama's or Hillary's competence. With Biden/Harris, I just keep crossing my fingers that they don't screw this up more. Almost approaching the inject Clorox to kill COVID or is Finland part of Russia level of incompetence.

No matter what, Biden is the president and the democrats are in control of Congress. Just like a CEO gets the axe when there are too many disappointing quarters, Biden's party will pay not because the other side is better but because the democrats are iin power and the country has become a mess since they were elected. That's what the voters will remember. Just how it has always been. No one is going to vote for the Dems if their excuse is we can't change **** because everything is out of our control but vote for us anyway.
I agree that Democrats will pay a price for what's going on in our country. That's reality of elections which are often a referendum on prior outcomes. But that doesn't mean we can't be honest about what's really going on. I don't think you've expressed any criticism of Biden that speaks to the issues we're facing. I'm not aware of anything Biden could reasonably have done to prevent inflation from going wild after the trillions in 2020 stimulus. We're currently at full employment and the lack of workers is a problem that most likely could only be solved by allowing increased immigration - something we all know wouldn't have been solved by a Republican. Has Biden been perfect? Of course not. Is that why Democrats are facing a tough midterm? Nope.
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

oski003 said:

I agree that Democrats will pay a price for what's going on in our country. That's reality of elections which are often a referendum on prior outcomes. But that doesn't mean we can't be honest about what's really going on. I don't think you've expressed any criticism of Biden that speaks to the issues we're facing. I'm not aware of anything Biden could reasonably have done to prevent inflation from going wild after the trillions in 2020 stimulus. We're currently at full employment and the lack of workers is a problem that most likely could only be solved by allowing increased immigration - something we all know wouldn't have been solved by a Republican. Has Biden been perfect? Of course not. Is that why Democrats are facing a tough midterm? Nope.

One thing that we could have done was not killed the initiative to invest more on chip manufacturing in the US instead of focusing on student loans or giving more money to everyone with limited income test when there was already too much demand compared to supply. Maybe convince the member of his cabinet who is responsible for transportation to end his family leave early when our ports were clogged and truck drivers were not available. Inflation is like a virus that spreads when people are worried about short supply. Maybe not alienate our allies in the Middle East over moral positions and not support them when they were attacked by Iran, which then caused us to beg unsuccessfully an even worse government in Venezuela. Maybe not abandon India to rely on Russia for defense. They seriously were playing checkers knowing Russia's power is in energy supply, and we alienated everyone who could have helped us by stepping in to increase supply.

Let me ask you what they have done well. What do you look at and say great job, and my life is better because of your competence?
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

oski003 said:

One thing that we could have done was not killed the initiative to invest more on chip manufacturing in the US instead of focusing on student loans or giving more money to everyone with limited income test when there was already too much demand compared to supply. Maybe convince the member of his cabinet who is responsible for transportation to end his family leave early when our ports were clogged and truck drivers were not available. Inflation is like a virus that spreads when people are worried about short supply. Maybe not alienate our allies in the Middle East over moral positions and not support them when they were attacked by Iran, which then caused us to beg unsuccessfully an even worse government in Venezuela. Maybe not abandon India to rely on Russia for defense. They seriously were playing checkers knowing Russia's power is in energy supply, and we alienated everyone who could have helped us by stepping in to increase supply.

Let me ask you what they have done well. What do you look at and say great job, and my life is better because of your competence?

Passed a pretty good bipartisan infrastructure act. Got us out of Afghanistan and played the Russia Ukraine thing pretty damn well. Led with a relatively steady hand. Didn't create any problems out of nowhere. Didn't embarrass our nation on the international stage.

I don't think the micro elements you are talking about are the reason we are seeing inflation right now. These are relatively minor challenges that happen under every administration and make for a lot of spilled ink but little consequence. I don't blame Trump by the way for what's going on with our economy. We had to pass the COVID stimulus and that is the biggest reason we are where we are. Well, to be fair, that plus the macro environment which is leading to inflation abroad as well.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

oski003 said:

There are larger reasons why the existing party in power tends to face a tough midterm the first time out, many of them out of the President's control. I think we're largely seeing that now.

It also doesn't tell you anything about how re-election will go, because most Presidents get re-elected despite the clobbering they got two years ago. Everything is a reaction to a reaction.
okaydo

okaydo
Sebastabear
okaydo said:

I took the quiz (https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/characters/).

My closest character match was . . . Professor Oak from the Pokmon cartoon. I've never seen the show (wrong age demographic for 90s cartoons) but I'm more than a little weirded out that I most closely resemble a cartoon character.

Also in top contention were Professor X from the X-men, Julian Bashere from Deep Space Nine and Lucius Fox from the Dark Knight. Oh and Rob Lowe's character from the West Wing.

I think I have some soul searching to do here.
Unit2Sucks
Lol, D'Souza's new crockumentary is such garbage that even Newsmax won't give it air time. When push comes to shove, even the right wing propaganda networks can't keep pretending there is any substance to the 2000 Dead Horses baseless theories of voter fraud.

BearForce2
Unit2Sucks said:

Lol, D'Souza's new crockumentary is such garbage that even Newsmax won't give it air time. When push comes to shove, even the right wing propaganda networks can't keep pretending there is any substance to the 2000 Dead Horses baseless theories of voter fraud.

Since Fox News and Newsmax was garbage to begin with according to you, D'Souza must be doing something right.
BearForce2

If the movie is pure garbage, why the cyberattacks? They should allow it to play so the rest of the world can have a good laugh.
okaydo
okaydo
okaydo
okaydo
Paul McCartney turns 80 next month.

He performed 36 songs over the course of 2 hours and 40 minutes last night at SoFi Stadium.

He also performed a pre-show for VIP guests.

Also, he has his own motorcade.

okaydo
okaydo
Eastern Oregon Bear
okaydo said:

That's great! Even if the kid's career goes nowhere, he'll always have memories of last night.
okaydo
okaydo
okaydo
Browns fullback:

okaydo

Big C

I really feel like these wars and shootings are getting a little old. I mean, what's the point?
82gradDLSdad
okaydo said:

$900,000...in Bozeman Mt??? Crazy.
okaydo
okaydo
DiabloWags
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

okaydo said:

That's great! Even if the kid's career goes nowhere, he'll always have memories of last night.

Kai absolutely crushed it!
He's still a senior at Tamalpais High in Mill Valley.
What a great moment.

okaydo

okaydo
DiabloWags said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

okaydo said:

Kai absolutely crushed it!
He's still a senior at Tamalpais High in Mill Valley.
What a great moment.

Welp, it turns out he's friends with Eddie Vedder's daughter (their the same age).

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/Bay-Area-teen-plays-with-Pearl-Jam-in-Oakland-17174866.php
Unit2Sucks
In a result that should surprise no one, the Republican SCOTUS took another whack at campaign finance restrictions in order to remind everyone that money talks and no one should even bother trying to reduce the influence of big money in our elections.

I'm glad to see that SCOTUS is so concerned about protecting people who don't need protection and letting the states violate the rights of people who do.
Unit2Sucks
I wonder how many times his dead wife voted for him.

Unit2Sucks
Another conservative saying the quiet part out loud.

okaydo
These color photos of UC Berkeley in the 1940s are lovely.

okaydo
I think several BIers are part of this cult.

First Page Last Page
Page 91 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.