Breaking News

981,132 Views | 11776 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by movielover
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
okaydo said:

LATimes sometimes blocks.
Here's the story, and it's a frightening one:
From Atherton, and NPR:

A car was found buried at a California estate once owned by a man convicted of murder

A car containing unused bags of concrete has been discovered buried in the yard of a 1.63-acre estate in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Landscapers found it at an Atherton home worth $15 million and police are investigating.

On Thursday, Atherton Police Department issued a press release that said cadaver dogs indicated the possibility of human remains, but none have been found. Technicians from the San Mateo Crime Lab were called to the scene.

The car is a Mercedes-Benz, the release said. It had been reported stolen in 1992.

The vehicle was about 5 feet underground and may have been buried in the 1990s, according to the police. It was there before the current occupants who said they were unaware of the buried car bought the property in 2020. The prior homeowners had bought it in 2014 for $7.3 million, according to Redfin.

Before that, the house belonged to Johnny Bocktune Lew, who lived there with his family in the 1990s. Police have not mentioned a connection between Lew and the buried vehicle.

Lew's daughter, Jacq Searle, told the San Francisco Chronicle that her father built the house and that she was shocked to learn of the car. She described a dysfunctional family life at the property.

"My father definitely had emotional issues," the Chronicle quoted her as saying. "This wouldn't surprise me, just based on how sketchy my father was."

According to court documents, Lew moved to the U.S. from Hong Kong in 1959, marrying his first cousin two years later. They lived in San Francisco, followed by Los Angeles County where, in 1964, he met Karen Gervasi while attending El Camino Junior College.

Lew and the young woman had a romantic relationship, despite Lew being married. In 1965, Gervasi died from a gunshot at his apartment. Lew said the 21-year-old had accidentally shot herself, but was found guilty of murder a year later. The conviction was reversed in 1968, court documents stated.

He also spent three years in prison when he was convicted of two counts of attempted murder in 1977.

In 1999, he was accused of insurance fraud for attempting to hire some men who were actually undercover police to sink a yacht worth $1.2 million, according to the Chronicle. A spokesman for the insurance company claimed Lew was "looking to profit from the loss."

Lew had lung cancer and died in 2015, his daughter said.
concordtom
okaydo said:

https://morris.umn.edu/about/institutional-effectiveness-and-research/data-resources

Wow. At 72 he gives himself freedom to ask if we should go back to white/POC segregation, racism? Is that what's happening here?
Harkening back to "the way things were" when young, the future looks scary - unfortunately, not atypical.
concordtom
okaydo said:

Makes me think of The Truman Show.
Congratulations to Harry !! He discovered an exit to his prior life in the cage, and now has a bit of freedom!!! All should cheer!!

concordtom
bearister said:

sonofabear51 said:

That was also one of my favorite Neil albums. I don't know if you saw the solo tour of Computer Age, but I thought it was one of the most amazing performances I had ever seen. Cow Palace.
CSNY. What an incredible assembly of musicians and writers. Stills & Young especially IMHO

It didn't get any more fun than being young, drunk and stoned at Winterland in the early 1970's and hearing Neil playing Cinnamon Girl on his Gibson Flying V as loud as he could. I saw him there many times.

My buddy took this picture of him at the Day on the Green in Oakland in July, 1974 that I attended.

*I remember being very disappointed he cut his hair so short. It seemed like a crew cut at the time.

My uncle had a classified ad to sell a car in San Jose mid 80's I think it was.
Dude came, test drive, bought it.
After he left, my uncle was like, "****, that was Neil young."
smh
cool, thanks. read an auto-bio of NYoung some years ago, in which he describes his ranch (with many maany cars in storage) ridegeline-ish in the peninsula hills.

https://sccl.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S118C425708
Sebastabear
concordtom said:

okaydo said:

LATimes sometimes blocks.
Here's the story, and it's a frightening one:
From Atherton, and NPR:

A car was found buried at a California estate once owned by a man convicted of murder

A car containing unused bags of concrete has been discovered buried in the yard of a 1.63-acre estate in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Landscapers found it at an Atherton home worth $15 million and police are investigating.

On Thursday, Atherton Police Department issued a press release that said cadaver dogs indicated the possibility of human remains, but none have been found. Technicians from the San Mateo Crime Lab were called to the scene.

The car is a Mercedes-Benz, the release said. It had been reported stolen in 1992.

The vehicle was about 5 feet underground and may have been buried in the 1990s, according to the police. It was there before the current occupants who said they were unaware of the buried car bought the property in 2020. The prior homeowners had bought it in 2014 for $7.3 million, according to Redfin.

Before that, the house belonged to Johnny Bocktune Lew, who lived there with his family in the 1990s. Police have not mentioned a connection between Lew and the buried vehicle.

Lew's daughter, Jacq Searle, told the San Francisco Chronicle that her father built the house and that she was shocked to learn of the car. She described a dysfunctional family life at the property.

"My father definitely had emotional issues," the Chronicle quoted her as saying. "This wouldn't surprise me, just based on how sketchy my father was."

According to court documents, Lew moved to the U.S. from Hong Kong in 1959, marrying his first cousin two years later. They lived in San Francisco, followed by Los Angeles County where, in 1964, he met Karen Gervasi while attending El Camino Junior College.

Lew and the young woman had a romantic relationship, despite Lew being married. In 1965, Gervasi died from a gunshot at his apartment. Lew said the 21-year-old had accidentally shot herself, but was found guilty of murder a year later. The conviction was reversed in 1968, court documents stated.

He also spent three years in prison when he was convicted of two counts of attempted murder in 1977.

In 1999, he was accused of insurance fraud for attempting to hire some men who were actually undercover police to sink a yacht worth $1.2 million, according to the Chronicle. A spokesman for the insurance company claimed Lew was "looking to profit from the loss."

Lew had lung cancer and died in 2015, his daughter said.
Lol. There are some crazy aspects of this story which the press hasn't yet picked up on. One of them (Cal relevant) is that this house is actually right next to (like literally right next to) Jim Harbaugh's old house during his brief stint with the 49ers. At first I actually thought the car was buried at Jim Harbaugh's house, but the chain of title in that story makes it seem that's not the case. Wonder if Jim knows he was sleeping next to a buried body/car for a couple of years.
concordtom
What's a Sebastabear doing knowing such details about Atherton?
okaydo
okaydo
Here's the thing: When I read the San Francisco Chronicle story, I didn't read closely that this was an "opinion" piece and had no idea that the author was really controversial.

Also weird that the story would come out after her death when she didn't get a chance to respond. She had been back in the news for a month and a half before her death.

sycasey
okaydo said:

Here's the thing: When I read the San Francisco Chronicle story, I didn't read closely that this was an "opinion" piece and had no idea that the author was really controversial.

Also weird that the story would come out after her death when she didn't get a chance to respond. She had been back in the news for a month and a half before her death.

The research seems pretty solid, though. Littlefeather did not grow up identifying as Native and there's no paper trail evidence that she or her family were ever part of a tribe.
bearister
Sacheen Littlefeather - IMDb

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0514693/

Tom Laughlin - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Laughlin

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
sycasey said:

okaydo said:

The research seems pretty solid, though. Littlefeather did not grow up identifying as Native and there's no paper trail evidence that she or her family were ever part of a tribe.

"Solid"? Well, the author of the Variety story says Jacqueline Keeler has a history of faulty reporting. Again, Keeler's story is an opinion piece.

And a quick search of Keeler's name on Twitter reveals a lot of negative thoughts surrounding her: https://twitter.com/search?q=jacqueline%20keeler&src=typed_query

And Sacheen's sister is on record 9 days ago as saying she learned they are not native from Keeler.

sycasey
okaydo said:

sycasey said:

okaydo said:

"Solid"? Well, the author of the Variety story says Jacqueline Keeler has a history of faulty reporting. Again, Keeler's story is an opinion piece.

And a quick search of Keeler's name on Twitter reveals a lot of negative thoughts surrounding her: https://twitter.com/search?q=jacqueline%20keeler&src=typed_query

And Sacheen's sister is on record 9 days ago as saying she learned they are not native from Keeler.

There are a lot of public records and news sources cited in her larger blog article here (which is also linked to in the Chron piece):

https://jacquelinekeeler.substack.com/p/hollywood-fantasy-is-sacheen-littlefeather

The sisters' claims are hardly the only things her argument rests on. Is it possible she's misrepresenting all of this? Theoretically yes. But it seems like a lot of evidence that "Sacheen" was a fraud.
okaydo
sycasey said:

okaydo said:

sycasey said:

okaydo said:

There are a lot of public records and news sources cited in her larger blog article here (which is also linked to in the Chron piece):

https://jacquelinekeeler.substack.com/p/hollywood-fantasy-is-sacheen-littlefeather

The sisters' claims are hardly the only things her argument rests on. Is it possible she's misrepresenting all of this? Theoretically yes. But it seems like a lot of evidence that "Sacheen" was a fraud.

Here's an article from May 2021 on Keeler's history of faulty reporting, including naming actual Natives to her Pretendian list.

I'll just hold off my judgment till more comes out. And I'm sure it will.

https://www.powwows.com/the-problem-with-jacqueline-keelers-pretendian-list/
sycasey
okaydo said:

sycasey said:

okaydo said:

sycasey said:

okaydo said:

Here's an article from May 2021 on Keeler's history of faulty reporting, including naming actual Natives to her Pretendian list.

I'll just hold off my judgment till more comes out. And I'm sure it will.

https://www.powwows.com/the-problem-with-jacqueline-keelers-pretendian-list/

Okay, but this article discusses Keeler making accusations without proper evidence to back up her claims. It doesn't seem like she did that in this most recent instance. She brought a lot of evidence.

Her opponents are going to have to bring a lot more than attacks on her character to outweigh that.
DiabloWags
When a Band sounds better live than in a studio.
The Nationals, out of Cincinnati, Ohio

Belgium, 2018

"The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness" at 5:24 has a super "edgy" guitar riff.

"Walk It Back" at 14:35 is amazing!

"Guilty Party" at 20:38 is a fave.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
DiabloWags
Clarence Thomas gives good old Lyndsey Graham a "break" when it comes to testifying in front of a Grand Jury in Fulton County, GA

U.S. Supreme Court's Thomas temporarily blocks Graham election case testimony (yahoo.com)
okaydo
bearister
Elvin Bishop was often the warm up act at Winterland in the 70's. He was always awesome. His albums did not have that intensity.

Big C
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

okaydo said:

Well that didn't age well. That may be the most DOA book ever.

Reminds me of the hundreds of people who left the 1982 Big Game with four seconds left on the clock. It was either, "This is too depressing!" or "Gotta beat that traffic!" Oops.
concordtom
bearister said:

The part at the end, where he's finally being held and getting his due…
Can you please make that be Trump, Bearister?
Pretty please?!?!
concordtom
Big C said:

Reminds me of the hundreds of people who left the 1982 Big Game with four seconds left on the clock. It was either, "This is too depressing!" or "Gotta beat that traffic!" Oops.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to say, "I wasn't one of them!"
bearister
MinotStateBeav
bearister said:

Hi! Goodnight everybody.

concordtom
Super methane emitter sites discovered from a space tool designed in July to instead study atmospheric dust.
Interesting!

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nasa-instrument-detects-dozens-methane-002053620.html
bearister

Christmas Come Early? 27 Straight Days Of Football Schedule

https://www.thelines.com/27-straight-days-football-nfl-college-schedule-tv-2022/
DiabloWags
Q3 GDP grew at 2.6%

Im shocked that Trumpers didnt mention this today!
oski003
DiabloWags said:

Q3 GDP grew at 2.6%

Im shocked that Trumpers didnt mention this today!

US economy grows in third quarter after a six month slump.

The third-quarter data G.D.P. rose 0.6 percent, the Commerce Department said, a 2.6 percent annual rate of growth suggested that the path to such a "soft landing" remained open but narrow.

Fyi, the Delta Wave hit in July 2021.
DiabloWags

Lowest Unemployment Rate in Decades.

Meanwhile, under Trump 4 million jobs were lost during his 4 years.
He's the first President in 80 years to have net job loss during his term.

okaydo

Unit2Sucks
Has anyone reported that Paul Pelosi was attacked with a hammer inside his home?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/28/politics/paul-pelosi-attack/index.html

I don't know if this is politically motivated or not.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

Has anyone reported that Paul Pelosi was attacked with a hammer inside his home?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/28/politics/paul-pelosi-attack/index.html

High profile political spouses get hospitalized in home invasion hammer attacks all the time. I'm sure it was just a homeless person looking for crack.
MinotStateBeav
Well Nancy said crime isn't a top problem for the american people, so this is probably a one off.
okaydo
MinotStateBeav said:

Well Nancy said crime isn't a top problem for the american people, so this is probably a one off.

You're on record as supporting political violence, so thanks for weighing in.
smh
Unit2Sucks said:

yes, w/out a doubt, since the attempted assassin demanded "where's nancy"

upside..
> Drew Hammill, a spokesman for Nancy Pelosi, said the assailant is in custody
First Page Last Page
Page 110 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.