Breaking News

976,452 Views | 11755 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by movielover
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow, soccer is called soccer in Britain.

bearister
After two weeks of thrilling action, the best World Baseball Classic ever got a Hollywood ending, Axios' Jeff Tracy writes.
Driving the news: Japan beat the United States, 3-2 (on Tuesday night in Miami to win its third WBC title and first since 2009.
The final at-bat: Shohei Ohtani struck out Angels teammate Mike Trout on
a full count to end it. You can't make this stuff up.

88 mph
slider down (1-0)

100 mph
fastball swung through (1-1)

100 mph
fastball outside (2-1)

100 mph
fastball swung through (2-2)

102 mph
fastball down (3-2)

87 mph
slider swung through. Strike three, game over.

Axios
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal88
Paris riots intensifying. I would not advice tourists to visit this Spring, as a lot of the "action" is taking place in the center of town, including neighborhoos like St Germain or the Champs-Elysees.

movielover
Do they withhold pay from striking civil servants?
Cal88
movielover said:

Do they withhold pay from striking civil servants?

I think they do, they might be supported by their unions though.

Also, in the case of workers in critical functions like garbage disposal or public transit drivers, they have the upper hand. They can afford losing a couple of paychecks, but the city can't operate if the garbage isn't collected for two months.
movielover
movielover
okaydo

movielover
New York Post: Hunter Biden used FBI mole named 'One-Eye' to tip him off to China probes: tipster

https://nypost.com/2023/03/22/hunter-biden-used-fbi-mole-to-tip-him-off-to-china-probes-tipster/
movielover
Isn't affirmative action / woke policies grand?

A lawyer who doesn't know Brady, and previously an FAA nominee who couldn't answer 6 basic
questions about airports, planes, safety, etc.
Unit2Sucks
movielover said:

Isn't affirmative action / woke policies grand?

A lawyer who doesn't know Brady, and previously an FAA nominee who couldn't answer 6 basic
questions about airports, planes, safety, etc.
Trump nominated a large number of dumbazz white dudes - where was the outrage then? Did you give them a pass because you don't think white men need to be qualified for their appointments? Where were you when Trump nominated Johnathan Kobes to the 8th circuit? An appellate judge who had tried 6 cases in his career and whom the ABA judged not qualified and having no evidence that he could accomplish the written work required for an appellate judge. He was the first ever judge who needed a VP tiebreaker to be confirmed.

By contrast, Kato Crews has been a practicing civil litigator for more than 2 decades, has tried plenty of cases, has been a magistrate judge for the past 5 years and has been nominated to be a district court judge, not a circuit court. As a civil litigator, I'm not shocked that he wasn't familiar with a criminal matter.

I find it hilarious that a person as uninformed as you would even pretend to be outraged over a nuance of legal qualification given the absolute corrupt sh(t show we saw with Trump's 200+ nominees.

What's really going on is that you are using "woke" to cloak your abhorrent racism. You hold people of color to standards that don't exist for white people in your mind.

Big C
Cal88 said:

Paris riots intensifying. I would not advice tourists to visit this Spring, as a lot of the "action" is taking place in the center of town, including neighborhoos like St Germain or the Champs-Elysees.

Is the issue still about whether they are going to raise the retirement age or not?

Viewing this from afar (haven't been to France for almost 15 years), it seems like they are always going back and forth:

we-can't-afford-a-cradle-to-grave-welfare-state / we-don't-want-to-give-up-our-cradle-to-grave-welfare-state

Is that kind of it? And where do you come down on the question?
Cal88
Big C said:

Cal88 said:

Is the issue still about whether they are going to raise the retirement age or not?

Viewing this from afar (haven't been to France for almost 15 years), it seems like they are always going back and forth:

we-can't-afford-a-cradle-to-grave-welfare-state / we-don't-want-to-give-up-our-cradle-to-grave-welfare-state

Is that kind of it? And where do you come down on the question?

The retirement age issue added a whole lot of oil to the fire but the general dissatisfaction has been simmering for several years now, starting with the Gilets Jaunes in the late 2010s, mainly fuelled by the ongoing decline in purchasing power and the struggles of a growing class of working poor and pensioners. The riots now are a lot more potent because the unions have now gone all in.

There is a deeper problem of the national infrastructure having been sold off and stripped, a bit like what happened in the UK 10 or 20 years earlier, with the selling off of the national railway and highway systems, and the neglect of the national nuclear power network, which used to be the best in the world along with Japan's, now surpassed by countries like India or Russia. This has left the country exposed to the current energy crisis. Bakeries and restaurants that have been running for generations have closed down due to their utility bills soaring.
movielover
Soaring energy prices also relates to the Greenies, Russia, and Biden blowing up NS 1 and 2.

They're retooling numerous NP plants. With all of Europe's energy problems (expected), they've finally done an about face.

"In February, President Macron announced that the time was right for a nuclear renaissance in France, saying the operation of all existing reactors should be extended without compromising safety and unveiling a proposed programme for six new EPR2 reactors, with an option for a further eight EPR2 reactors to follow."
concordtom
Please provide for me a definition of woke.
Be specific, not joking. I think it's good to be woke: informed and aware.
But you have used the term derisively. I want to understand that better. Why are people using this term?
concordtom
Remember that water crisis in Jackson MS?
Turns out it didn't have to be:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/water-system-broken-one-pipe-112817587.html

5 Million gallons a day wasted, broken pipe at golf course. Nobody noticed or said anything??
movielover
okaydo
Big C
concordtom said:

Please provide for me a definition of woke.
Be specific, not joking. I think it's good to be woke: informed and aware.
But you have used the term derisively. I want to understand that better. Why are people using this term?

English is a dynamic language. Definitions evolve and alternate ones arise. Example: "gay".

The original definition is, as you state, used as a compliment, meaning attuned to racial injustices. Many still use this definition.

Then, another definition, a negative reaction to the first one, arose: basically anything "politically correct" to the point where a significant percentage of the country rolls their eyes. Often regarding race (example, reparations*), but now maybe even more about gender issues (example, parents not disclosing the gender of their kids at birth, to give them an opportunity to choose it themselves later). Just a guess, but I'm thinking that more people use this definition now, than the original one (Thanks, Fox News!).

People can prefer one of these definitions over the other (I prefer the first one), but they can't rightfully claim that the other definition doesn't exist, because that's not the way the English language works. Silly to try and play "gotcha" by asking someone to define woke. We all know the right uses it as a catch-all for racial and gender issues that infuriate them.

* for the record, I am not necessarily against the idea of reparations
movielover
Woke includes believing without question liberal orthodoxies like affirmative action, global warming, transgender issues, other numerous fad issues of the day, drag queen story hour to young children, etc. Someone with a man bun is definitely woke.
Big C
movielover said:

Woke includes believing without question liberal orthodoxies like affirmative action, global warming, transgender issues, other numerous fad issues of the day, drag queen story hour to young children, etc. Someone with a man bun is definitely woke.

Yes, it's a catch-all for anything "leftist" that makes a lot of people's eyes roll. Other examples: the need to have a "safe space" (even though that also gets used the opposite way)... huge importance on "diversity"... the term "latinx"... more letters added to LGBT, etc.

That is a legitimate definition of "woke", even if some people don't like it.
sycasey
Big C said:

movielover said:

Yes, it's a catch-all for anything "leftist" that makes a lot of people's eyes roll. Other examples: the need to have a "safe space" (even though that also gets used the opposite way)... huge importance on "diversity"... the term "latinx"... more letters added to LGBT, etc.

It's not that legitimate, because it's vague enough that anyone can just add anything from a laundry list of grievances and call it woke.
Big C
sycasey said:

Big C said:

movielover said:

It's not that legitimate, because it's vague enough that anyone can just add anything from a laundry list of grievances and call it woke.

Well, again, that's what the new definition of "woke" is, sort of a catch-all. Still, there are certain issues that pretty much don't fit: national defense, budget, the "stolen election", etc. But most cultural issues qualify.
sycasey
Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

movielover said:

Well, again, that's what the new definition of "woke" is, sort of a catch-all. Still, there are certain issues that pretty much don't fit: national defense, budget, the "stolen election", etc. But most cultural issues qualify.

If it's a catch-all then the term is essentially meaningless. May as well just call them liberals and get it over with.
dajo9
Woke means awake to injustice
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
MinotStateBeav
dajo9 said:

WOKE!

concordtom
movielover said:

A man bun is woke???
Oh my god!
I don't like that hair style at all, but I think that's totally judgmental of you.

So, basically, anything YOU don't like is woke?
What is rap music, or I guess they call it hip hop now?
What about teens who buy new jeans with holes already in them?

And, okay, back to your definition… what if you have questioned, thought about, considered, and decided that, yes, you DO believe in global warming and certain affirmative action practices - still woke?

How about this?
10 kids on the playground. 4 of them are really good at basketball. They all decide to be on the same team, and they continually wipe out the others. Is it woke for a teacher to see that the others are unhappy and tell the 10 kids to divide them up so the teams are equally talented?
What if the kids decided to do it themselves? Woke?
What if the ones who always lost suggested it instead of the teacher? Woke?
What if the good players suggested it? Woke?
concordtom
sycasey said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

movielover said:

If it's a catch-all then the term is essentially meaningless. May as well just call them liberals and get it over with.

And here again, "liberal" is another word that I think is a good thing based upon its original political definition, which I take as willing to accept change.
Conservative: not for change, but traditional and status quo.

I grew up thinking liberals were bad people, 'tax and spend' and give to poor lazy inner city people. Then I got educated and came to understand inter generational wealth issues.

Society is always changing.
Technology is always changing.
Our understanding of history, who we are and where we are going as a human race is always changing.
Thus, we've got to be "liberal" in order to adjust to all these things! We can't run a dairy farm efficiently without employing new techniques like refrigeration.

The hard core Amish are so non-liberal. But Mennonites can drive cars, did you know?
concordtom
dajo9 said:

How does the disgust of a man-bun fit in here?
concordtom
sycasey said:

Big C said:

movielover said:

Looks like I "woke up", literally, to the fact that movielover has a stupid definition for "woke".

But I do appreciate your putting it out there, ML. I mean, you earnestly answered an earnest question. Thank you.
But sycasey nailed it - you can just add on anything you are intolerant of.

So, it's a great realized slur.
You dope, you idiot, you dumbass.
In other words, it's 3rd grade.
Got it!

oski003
concordtom said:

movielover said:

A man bun is woke???
Oh my god!
I don't like that hair style at all, but I think that's totally judgmental of you. *99% sure this was a joke

So, basically, anything YOU don't like is woke? *No
What is rap music, or I guess they call it hip hop now? *rap music is rap music
What about teens who buy new jeans with holes already in them? *Not woke but poor choices, especially if the holes are big enough that they start ripping further. Woke would be pressuring or creating policy to make employers not discriminate against a interviewee wearing distressed jeans because that would discriminate.

And, okay, back to your definition… what if you have questioned, thought about, considered, and decided that, yes, you DO believe in global warming and certain affirmative action practices - still woke? *Too vague and complicated to get into. Are these views being imposed on others such that they are mocked as dumb trumpists because they disagree?

How about this?
10 kids on the playground. 4 of them are really good at basketball. They all decide to be on the same team, and they continually wipe out the others. Is it woke for a teacher to see that the others are unhappy and tell the 10 kids to divide them up so the teams are equally talented? *No
What if the kids decided to do it themselves? Woke? *No
What if the ones who always lost suggested it instead of the teacher? Woke? *No
What if the good players suggested it? Woke? *No

See commentary in asterisks above. The protestors in PCU are woke.
concordtom
oski003 said:

concordtom said:

movielover said:

A man bun is woke???
Oh my god!
I don't like that hair style at all, but I think that's totally judgmental of you. *99% sure this was a joke

So, basically, anything YOU don't like is woke? *No
What is rap music, or I guess they call it hip hop now? *rap music is rap music
What about teens who buy new jeans with holes already in them? *Not woke but poor choices, especially if the holes are big enough that they start ripping further. Woke would be pressuring or creating policy to make employers not discriminate against a interviewee wearing distressed jeans because that would discriminate.

And, okay, back to your definition… what if you have questioned, thought about, considered, and decided that, yes, you DO believe in global warming and certain affirmative action practices - still woke? *Too vague and complicated to get into. Are these views being imposed on others such that they are mocked as dumb trumpists because they disagree?

How about this?
10 kids on the playground. 4 of them are really good at basketball. They all decide to be on the same team, and they continually wipe out the others. Is it woke for a teacher to see that the others are unhappy and tell the 10 kids to divide them up so the teams are equally talented? *No
What if the kids decided to do it themselves? Woke? *No
What if the ones who always lost suggested it instead of the teacher? Woke? *No
What if the good players suggested it? Woke? *No

See commentary in asterisks above.

Wow!
You strike me as a softie descenter.
Are you semi-liberal? Not enough outrage shown here.
concordtom
oski003 said:

The protestors in PCU are woke.

So, you're kind of a wild and crazy guy who wants to just act out whatever impulse he has without thought or self-restraint? Do whatever you want, right? And anyone who says you can't is woke?

Would it have made a difference if the protesters weren't depicted as impish nerds?

Can cops who tell you you can't make a right-on-a-red woke? They can't be, because they are big, muscular, and in uniform - am I getting it?
oski003
concordtom said:

oski003 said:

The protestors in PCU are woke.

So, you're kind of a wild and crazy guy who wants to just act out whatever impulse he has without thought or self-restraint? Do whatever you want, right? And anyone who says you can't is woke?

Would it have made a difference if the protesters weren't depicted as impish nerds?

Can cops who tell you you can't make a right-on-a-red woke? They can't be, because they are big, muscular, and in uniform - am I getting it?

No, you don't get it at all.
dajo9
concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

How does the disgust of a man-bun fit in here?

It fits in with the strategy conservatives use to destroy liberal messaging. Liberals saved America in the mid 20th century so conservatives destroyed the word by associating it with things like "welfare queens" and drug culture and "tax and spend" (even though it was conservatives that gave us deficits). Nobody calls themselves liberal anymore because conservatives used their overwhelming media to destroy it.

They'll do the same with "woke" by talking about man-buns and whittling down the issue of transgender to sporting competitions and drag shows that go too far and phony Yale studies about illegal immigration. Their big money messaging overwhelms the culture and drives out messaging that is a threat.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
First Page Last Page
Page 148 of 336

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.