Breaking News

976,390 Views | 11755 Replies | Last: 36 min ago by movielover
AunBear89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Woke has replaced politically correct. It's the place of first refuge when a white conservative is challenged on their racist/bigoted/sexist comments/actions/jokes. They whine about everything being woke (or politically correct) and back in the good ol' days before woke/pc they could express their abhorrent opinions freely.
movielover
concordtom said:

movielover said:

Woke includes believing without question liberal orthodoxies like affirmative action, global warming, transgender issues, other numerous fad issues of the day, drag queen story hour to young children, etc. Someone with a man bun is definitely woke.

A man bun is woke???
Oh my god!
I don't like that hair style at all, but I think that's totally judgmental of you.

So, basically, anything YOU don't like is woke?
What is rap music, or I guess they call it hip hop now?
What about teens who buy new jeans with holes already in them?

And, okay, back to your definition… what if you have questioned, thought about, considered, and decided that, yes, you DO believe in global warming and certain affirmative action practices - still woke?

How about this?
10 kids on the playground. 4 of them are really good at basketball. They all decide to be on the same team, and they continually wipe out the others. Is it woke for a teacher to see that the others are unhappy and tell the 10 kids to divide them up so the teams are equally talented?
What if the kids decided to do it themselves? Woke?
What if the ones who always lost suggested it instead of the teacher? Woke?
What if the good players suggested it? Woke?

The original goals of affirmative action were solid. Reach out, provide added resources, role models, opportunities. Even see two candidates as equal if there were minor or moderate differences in test scores.

Woke is offering up a candidate for a senior position at the FAA who under public Congressional questioning, doesn't know basic facts, and in fact can answer zero questions out of seven. Zero.

Woke is an experienced attorney not knowing the Brady rule / motion.

Woke is a new fad where teachers and radical organizations push gender ideologies and in many cases sex change operations on 13-, 14-, and 15-year old teenagers who aren't through puberty, and who's brains aren't fully developed. And if you dare question this radical new fad, your sexist or phobic or transphobic. This has extended to some institutions fighting to keep these issues hidden from parents. California now encourages teachers to discuss gender issues with students... not reading or math.
Unit2Sucks
AunBear89 said:

Woke has replaced politically correct. It's the place of first refuge when a white conservative is challenged on their racist/bigoted/sexist comments/actions/jokes. They whine about everything being woke (or politically correct) and back in the good ol' days before woke/pc they could express their abhorrent opinions freely.
Woke is a 4-letter word that lets conservatives group together everything they oppose. They still haven't gotten over the fact that they can't use the n-word in public any more so they are thrilled to be able to pack so much hate and frustration into a new word.

Fortunately, conservative ideology is continuing to lose in the marketplace of ideas and needs to retool itself. Simply re-labeling everything as "woke" isn't going to do it. Unfortunately, during this period of thrash conservatives are able to do quite a lot of damage to their communities. Look at the way they are treating pregnant women, targets of the criminal justice system (other than Trump and white collar criminals) and the youth generally. Sadly it will be very difficult to reverse course in deep red states and their populations will continue to suffer under terrible leadership.
movielover
AunBear89 said:

The racism came most directly from the KKK and segregationists like Al Gore's father - primarily Democrats.
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

AunBear89 said:

Woke is a 4-letter word that lets conservatives group together everything they oppose. They still haven't gotten over the fact that they can't use the n-word in public any more so they are thrilled to be able to pack so much hate and frustration into a new word.

Fortunately, conservative ideology is continuing to lose in the marketplace of ideas and needs to retool itself. Simply re-labeling everything as "woke" isn't going to do it. Unfortunately, during this period of thrash conservatives are able to do quite a lot of damage to their communities. Look at the way they are treating pregnant women, targets of the criminal justice system (other than Trump and white collar criminals) and the youth generally. Sadly it will be very difficult to reverse course in deep red states and their populations will continue to suffer under terrible leadership.

The n word is terrible. Go screw yourself with your statement that conservatives wish they could use the n word but can't anymore. You always put a group with a viewpoint you oppose into the extreme position and bash them. It is wrong and dishonest. Your method of arguing is absolutely awful.
movielover
Agreed. I identify as Independent and Conservative, but I RARELY hear this word. In fact, it's so RARE, it stands out when I hear it. I heard two guys use it in the Moraga Barn after the OJ verdict, I heard my liberal Cal alum acquaintance use it in his 70s (now in his 90s). I most frequently hear young POC use derivations (-a) of it everywhere. In Starbucks, downtown, at Jack in the Box. It's part of being cool and down.

Woke. Woke includes the liberal MSM and liberal activists NOT identifying who is attacking our Asian-American brothers.

This silence begs the question - are they really fighting racism? Or is it just a long-term foil to keep one's opponents forever off balance while also locking in a large voting block?
concordtom
movielover said:

The racism came most directly from the KKK and segregationists like Al Gore's father - primarily Democrats.

Oh, did you fail to realize the political party flip?
Or are you still stuck in the 50's?
concordtom
movielover said:

Woke. Woke includes the liberal MSM and liberal activists NOT identifying who is attacking our Asian-American brothers.

This silence begs the question - are they really fighting racism? Or is it just a long-term foil to keep one's opponents forever off balance while also locking in a large voting block?

The silence?
What silence?

Are you trying to raise a new topic here, that if attacks on Asians?

I have no idea what your angle is here.
I thought we were talking about your intolerance of hair styles.
movielover
concordtom said:

movielover said:

That's a fallacy that author and film maker Dinesh DSouza has debunked.

The racist Democrats then changed their votes to George Wallace.
dajo9
movielover said:

concordtom said:

movielover said:

Convicted felon Dinesh D'Souza. Trollstoy88 might be a more reliable source than D'Souza.
Quote:

D'Souza has promoted several conspiracy theories, such as the false claim that Obama was not born in the United States[161][162] and the conspiracy theory that the Clintons had murdered people.[163][164] D'Souza has also promoted false claims about businessman and philanthropist George Soros, including that Soros had collaborated with the Nazis as a youth, and that he has sponsored Antifa, a left-wing anti-fascist movement.[165] In an August 2016 interview with GQ, D'Souza denied being a conspiracy theorist, stating: "I have never advanced a conspiracy theory in my life."[166] In August 2017, D'Souza suggested that the Charlottesville Unite the Right rally had been staged.[21] In the same month, D'Souza tweeted that it would be "interesting to see" Soros "extradited to Israel & tried for his complicity in Nazi atrocities against Jews", and referred to Soros as "Hitler's collection boy".[167] After mail bombing attempts on prominent Democratic politicians occurred in October 2018, D'Souza tweeted: "Fake sexual assault victims. Fake refugees. Now fake mail bombs." D'Souza argued that the lack of a cancellation mark on the bomb-containing packages was evidence they were not mailed.
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinesh_D%27Souza#cite_note-169][/url]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinesh_D%27Souza
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
movielover
My history teachers never told us the KKK were primarily Democrats. I looked it up, and most of the major luminaries were Democrats.

President Lincoln said the 4 horsemen of the apolocalypse of slavery were:

Roger Tawney - chief justice
Franklin Pierce - A northern Democrat who believed that the abolitionist movement was a fundamental threat to the nation's unity, he alienated anti-slavery groups by signing the KansasNebraska Act and enforcing the Fugitive Slave Act. (Wiki)
James Buchanan - "As President, Buchanan intervened to assure the Supreme Court's majority ruling in the pro-slavery decision in the Dred Scott case. He acceded to Southern attempts to engineer Kansas' entry into the Union as a slave state under the Lecompton Constitution, ..." A bachelor, rumors that he was gay. (Wiki)
Steven Douglas - Senator

No one tears these statues down.
dajo9
movielover said:

My history teachers never told us the KKK were primarily Democrats. I looked it up, and most of the major luminaries were Democrats.

President Lincoln said the 4 horsemen of the apolocalypse of slavery were:

Roger Tawney - chief justice
Franklin Pierce - A northern Democrat who believed that the abolitionist movement was a fundamental threat to the nation's unity, he alienated anti-slavery groups by signing the KansasNebraska Act and enforcing the Fugitive Slave Act. (Wiki)
James Buchanan - "As President, Buchanan intervened to assure the Supreme Court's majority ruling in the pro-slavery decision in the Dred Scott case. He acceded to Southern attempts to engineer Kansas' entry into the Union as a slave state under the Lecompton Constitution, ..." A bachelor, rumors that he was gay. (Wiki)
Steven Douglas - Senator

No one tears these statues down.

Roger Taney. Not Tawney
Big C
movielover said:

AunBear89 said:

Yeah, a little History lesson for you woke, politically-correct liberals: Do you even know who the first Republican President was? That would be Abraham Lincoln! So when Donald Trump proved beyond a shadow of a doubt (by saying) that he had done more for African Americans than any President except Lincoln, that was really saying something!

And this is why, in 2020, Trump INCREASED his percentage of the Black vote by over 10% (from 8% to 9%) from 2016!!!
dajo9
Big C said:

movielover said:

AunBear89 said:

Yeah, a little History lesson for you woke, politically-correct liberals: Do you even know who the first Republican President was? That would be Abraham Lincoln! So when Donald Trump proved beyond a shadow of a doubt (by saying) that he had done more for African Americans than any President except Lincoln, that was really saying something!

And this is why, in 2020, Trump INCREASED his percentage of the Black vote by over 10% (from 8% to 9%) from 2016!!!
Trump's margin of loss among black voters was greater in 2020 than in 2016 because of higher turnout.
movielover
movielover
Edit
Big C

The French get really riled up when somebody comes along and tries to reduce their retirement benefits. And, as a certified Francophile, I say that with respect and love.
concordtom
movielover said:

concordtom said:

movielover said:

I don't need anyone to tell me how to think. I figured it out myself.
Cal88
France - protests spreading nationwide, here in Bordeaux in the SW:

The fire was contained, but it burned the entrance of city hall.

A lot of violence on the part of the riot cops, though they're actually using less lethal means today than against the Gilets Jaunes 3-4 years ago, where they relied heavily on rubber bullets, often fired right to the protesters faces, several dozen people having lost an eye, including protest leader Jerome Rodrigues, who was targeted by a riot cop and shot in the eye from 25' out.

concordtom
So stupid.
People are living longer and producing fewer new workers (births).
And France is like the youngest retirement age in the world from what I heard.

Can these protesters do math?
dajo9
concordtom said:

So stupid.

Technology has made the production of goods so much easier. We do not need people working longer. We need better distribution of the production of goods. The French protesters are on the right side here.
movielover
concordtom said:

movielover said:

concordtom said:

movielover said:

I don't need anyone to tell me how to think. I figured it out myself.

Five-decade Senator Robert Byrd from West Virginia was in the Ku Klux Klan and presided over the Council of the Centaurs as Exalted Cyclops in his 20s. Byrd fought integration, the 1964 Civil Rights bill and blocked the nomination of a black judge nominee, James E. Shetfield, put forth by President Jimmy Carter. His buddie was segregationist Albert Gore Sr..

When did they become Republicans?

BTW, I was young then, but I don't recall one Republican governor trying to physically stop the integration of their schools, or even one Republican mayor allowing their local police forces to unleash dogs or fire hoses on peaceful civil rights marches.
concordtom
You should consider a username change to nonsensical or gobblygook or dontbotherreading.
movielover
Those Democrats sure were creative - Exalted Cyclops.

Some allege the Nazi's copied ideas from the KKK.
bearister
John Wick: Chapter 4 movie review (2023) | Roger Ebert

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/john-wick-chapter-4-movie-review-2023

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Eastern Oregon Bear
bearister said:

John Wick: Chapter 4 movie review (2023) | Roger Ebert

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/john-wick-chapter-4-movie-review-2023

You gotta respect a movie reviewer that doesn't let death get in the way of reviewing new movies.
bearister
The martial arts stunt work alone is worth the price of admission.

From John Wick 3:

bearister

Cal88
concordtom said:

So stupid.

These protests are not just about the retirement age, they are about the general level of economic discomfort, the steep decline in purchasing power in France, as well as the level of hatred for Macron and his government, and the breakdown in the democratic process in France.

Macron promised he wouldn't raise the retirement age, and instead turned around and shoved it through using a seldom used legal procedure, article 49.3, which short-circuited the normal voting process in the French Assemble'e or congress. It was more about the manner this was handled than the reform itself.

You wouldn't have young citizens going out in full force on the streets, in universities campuses if it was just about retirement age.

Cal88
The "this is fine" meme, Paris '23 version:

Model posing with the cool fiery backgroud:

Riot police vs firemen:

Week 3 of the garbage disposal crews in Paris on strike:

Paris at the municipal level has been just as mismanaged as Chicago, SF or Seattle...

movielover
Add on top of this all the "no go" zones.
bearister
Can Gwyneth Paltrow's star and brand bounce back from recent misses?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/mar/26/gwyneth-paltrow-ski-crash-utah-goop-hollywood?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

*If I was cross examining Gwynnie:

bearister: "Isn't it a fact Ms. Paltrow that you market a candle that emits the odor of a v@gina?

Paltrow's Counsel: "Objection! Irrelevant!

bearister (before judge's ruling): "Question Withdrawn Your Honor."

bearister: "Now Ms. Paltrow, with regard to this product you call goop….."
bearister
Too bad the French didn't fight half that hard against the Nazis.
Cal88
bearister said:

Too bad the French didn't fight half that hard against the Nazis.

Total deaths WW2
France (pop. 40M) : 600,000
USA (pop.130M): 420,000
movielover
She has some affinity for ozone therapy applied rectally" and gem-infused vampire repellent.
First Page Last Page
Page 149 of 336

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.