Breaking News

981,224 Views | 11776 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by movielover
calbear93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

That Twitter account is real as a $3 bill
If you believe affirmative action is necessary (which I don't), what part of the substance of that tweet do you disagree with? And if you disagree with it, why is affirmative action necessary?

My post was about using a fake account to make Democrats look dumb. But since you asked, affirmative action is a good thing because we have an uneven playing field derived from centuries of bigotry and systemic racism. That's very different from saying "no" black person can succeed. It's an acknowledgment that it is harder for black people to succeed.
So, under this racist nation that has an uneven foundation, blacks as community cannot succeed as a collective on a merit-based system? Or is it just harder that they can overcome if they put little more shoulder into it. Because if it's that, then affirmative action definitely is unconstitutional since it is not narrowly tailored to address a compelling state interest. So, your pivot on "harder' doesn't work. So, why, under our constitution, is it OK for state bodies to discriminate based on race? How does that survive strict scrutiny on state action that discriminates based on race?

If it is because blacks cannot succeed on a merit-based system, then there is a compelling state interest and maybe affirmative action without quotas is narrowly tailored. Otherwise, it doesn't work.

So, what part of the tweet do you disagree with or is your objection that, while you agree with the substance, it is from a bot account?

You're really itching for arguments tonight aren't you? I long ago stopped arguing affirmative action with people. Most people don't have the mental maturity for the concept.
Deflection.

You clearly do not understand the strict scrutiny standard of judicial review for determining constitutionality when there is law or action that involves suspect classification like race.

And since you don't understand it, you say I lack mental maturity. OK. That must be it.
I tend to agree with dajo that this is not a worthwhile discussion but I'm also not sure why you are bringing the legal standard of review into the discussion.

SCOTUS previously found that affirmative action was permissible under strict scrutiny because it served a compelling interest and was narrowly tailored. The court today said it fails on both counts. I don't think anything has changed except the political makeup of the court. This isn't a result of a ground swell of public support, a change in underlying conditions or a result of some fundamental shift in society. It's just that that Leonard Leo was able to get more of his guys on the court. That's it, nothing more. If Clinton had won in 2016, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

We've long since passed the point where anyone can credibly pretend that the "interpretation" of the constitution isn't arbitrary and capricious at times. Just about everyone on the political spectrum can come up with examples that they like and don't like which show this.

I'll give one example where I agreed with the judge - in Heller Scalia claimed that the 2nd amendment does not guarantee a right to short-barreled shotguns. His argument is that those types of guns weren't commonly in use by law-abiding citizens when the 2A was drafted. I think his argument is arbitrary and capricious. I'm sure we could go back and forth for quite some time with other examples.

The other thing worth noting is that this SCOTUS pays little heed to settled precedent. During confirmation they pay minor lip service to it but they won't hesitate to overturn cases they disagree with in the least. It's not just our SCOTUS either, the North Carolina supreme court flipped last year and immediately overturned a case that had been decided by the same court just a few months prior on voting rights.

I think you missed the point. I respect your legal analysis but my question to Dajo which you seemed to have missed was whether he agreed with the content of the tweet. He tried to have his cake and eat it too by saying that without affirmative action, it is just harder but didn't want to go as far as agree with the content of the tweet for being in favor of affirmative action. That is why I brought up the strict scrutiny that it would not survive under his rationale.

But on your point of precedent, courts do give deference to precedent but all of the significant progress came from breaking with precedent. Brown vs Board of Education does not happen without overturning the precedent. And what was once compelling state interest does not make it always a compelling interest. Even the precedent that previously found affirmative action to survive the strict scrutiny review indicated that it may no longer be constitutional if the society changes enough.

On the Scalia case, that was him being an originalist true to his principle. Not arbitrary. Just not willing to overstep the legislative or constitutional strict reading to impose new meaning at the judicial level beyond what was intended by the legislators at the time of adoptions
I don't think I missed the point of the post I was responding to since that focused on your claim that dajo doesn't understand strict scrutiny.

As for precedent, I think it's become clear that this court is less deferential to precedent than prior courts across some pretty large decisions over the past year and I don't expect it to stop.

As for Scalia, there was nothing in the constitution or in the framers intent that would indicate that they would be in favor of semi-automatic handguns but not short-barreled shotguns. To me the whole "originalist" thing is just a cover for doing what they want and they seem willing to ignore the text and historical record when convenient for their ends.

If that was what you were doing and you were following the discussion on the tweet, then you lost me.

And I don't know what the right amount of disturbing precedent vs not acceptable amount is. To me, they are fixing precedents that were flawed, and it is within their authority to do so. Political leanings will determine one's opinion on whether they are doing too much or the right amount, Understand that the theatrics in the confirmation process deals with respect for precedents but none of the candidates are ever forthcoming.

Yeah, I think I disagree with you that the originalist viewpoint from Scalia was a sham. Agree to disagree.
Cal88
Big surge in urban riots in France this week after a teenager was killed by the police, here is a good summary:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1674545963313012753.html
DiabloWags
movielover said:

Decades of male bashing, pro-female policies, and now many campuses are 60% or more female.

And people are still living in their parent's basement.
Cal88
^A result of runaway housing prices, student debt etc.

More on the riots in France:

edit: it turns out today that the damage to the library was limited, though overall across France the damage from this week's riots is going to be in the hundreds of millions.

movielover
DiabloWags said:

movielover said:

Decades of male bashing, pro-female policies, and now many campuses are 60% or more female.

When do you cease the personal attacks?
movielover
Does this deflect from Macron's common sense move of raising the retirement age?
movielover
The Wall Street Globalists hate Trump.

(New York Times) "The political network established by the conservative industrialists Charles and David Koch has raised more than $70 million for political races as it looks to help Republicans move past Donald J. Trump, according to an official with the group."
dajo9
movielover said:

Does this deflect from Macron's common sense move of raising the retirement age?

You call yourselves the party of the working class, right?
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
dajo9
movielover said:

(New York Times) "The political network established by the conservative industrialists Charles and David Koch has raised more than $70 million for political races as it looks to help Republicans move past Donald J. Trump, according to an official with the group."

They hate Democrats more
calbear93
movielover said:

I think Wall Street Globalists are just a subset of the true conservatives who hate Trump.
movielover
Politico: Supreme Court strikes down Biden's student debt relief plan

"In a 6-3 decision, the court's conservative majority ruled that Biden's effort to erase roughly $400 billion of student debt was an illegal use of executive power."

It's been a good week for common sense.
dimitrig
movielover said:

"In a 6-3 decision, the court's conservative majority ruled that Biden's effort to erase roughly $400 billion of student debt was an illegal use of executive power."

Giving money to people living under crushing weight of student loan debt is bad but giving money to billionaires is good. Yup, sounds like the GOP.

dajo9
dimitrig said:

movielover said:

Giving money to people living under crushing weight of student loan debt is bad but giving money to billionaires is good. Yup, sounds like the GOP.

He'll tell you he supports the party of the workers
movielover
NBC News poll - Vice President Kamala Harris job approval at just 32%, compared to 49% who held a negative view. That -17 net approval rating marks the lowest for any VP in the history of the poll.

Cal88
movielover said:

It just adds another big demographic layer in the French protest movement, the ethnic "inner city" segment (inner city in quotes because in Europe less affluent minorities live in modern suburbs). First you have the Gilets Jaunes or yellowvests working poor, self-employed, rural, small business protests against their economic marginalization with taxes, regulations and rising fuel costs, then you had the retirement riots with older civil servants and labor, and now this.

Macron's answer apparently is to place further restrictions on social media and more censorship...

zebra and other zoo animals on the loose...

Free for all looting

Yamaha dealership

Ukraine weapon pipeline - rioters firing AKs

Terrible, Nero-like optics for Macron and his mom-wife, dancing at the Elton John concert while France is burning:

16% of French people are having issues with chronic hunger. The picture is the same in the UK, Germany, with rising food inflation, skyrocketing utility bills and diminishing purchasing power for retirees, working poor and the unemployed.
calbear93
dimitrig said:

movielover said:

There was not $400B surplus in our budget that will now allow this to go to billionaires. The $400B was going to be charged to the future generation with greater debt and greater debt service. It was not something that was taken from billionaires.

I say fix the underlying problems instead of giving a huge benefit just to one class of relatively privileged people who received education for their own benefit that was not going to relate to higher income (and creating injustice to those who went to community college, state university or no college or who worked through college) but ignoring the issue that caused this burden in the first place and ignoring what will happen to the next generation of students.

Get rid of guaranteed student loans, allow the loans to be discharged in bankruptcy, and let market forces play out so that university cannot keep raising fees thinking guaranteed loans will allow them to charge whatever they want. Require the university to provide some of the loans directly so that they have an incentive to provide for job support. That will also get rid of these fraudulent for-profit universities that are creating billionaires on the backs of these students and tax payers.

Your take was not the right take if you looked at reality. Giving one time loan forgiveness unilaterally to just one group without legislative intent that goes beyond the purpose of the HEROES act as if the executive branch is a dictatorship is not the right solution even if the intent is good.
BearHunter
dimitrig said:

movielover said:

You volunteer to give your money first and then we'll all chip in, we promise.
dimitrig
BearHunter said:

dimitrig said:

movielover said:

I gave my money when Trump raised my taxes. What about you?

BearHunter
dimitrig said:

BearHunter said:

dimitrig said:

movielover said:

Trump didn't raise your taxes. That was just you getting a job in Trump's booming economy.
calbear93
dimitrig said:

BearHunter said:

dimitrig said:

movielover said:

Were you happy he raised taxes for you because you clearly could afford it? I wouldn't mind paying more in taxes if I believed it would go to truly helping the underprivileged and not go into more union-favoring, waste of money like CA does with greater government worker pensions and the homeless situation that does nothing to solve anything. Considering my property tax and my CA income tax, my deductions were killed as well but that's fine. I choose to live in CA despite the tax rate and property values because I want to live here. I am not going to get all the benefits from my choice and then complain about the corresponding costs.
movielover
movielover
You wrote: "16% of French people are having issues with chronic hunger." = Green New Deal

"The picture is the same in the UK, Germany, with rising food inflation" = Green New Deal

"skyrocketing utility bills" = Green New Deal

"diminishing purchasing power for retirees" = Green New Deal
oski003
DiabloWags said:

movielover said:

Move out then. Stop hating yourself.
bearister

The 

..network takes another hit:

Fox News agrees to $12 million settlement with former Tucker Carlson producer

https://www.axios.com/2023/06/30/fox-news-abby-grossberg-settlement
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calbear93
bearister said:

The 

Yikes. Court of law is a strange thing. You can't use spin and propaganda to get a false narrative.
BearHunter
bearister said:

OMG. Is Tucker Carlson's Fox producer working with him now?
Unit2Sucks
bearister said:

The 

Don't worry SCOTUS will overturn it.

Mistreating women was in "common use" when the constitution was written so the radical clerics will find it to be protected speech under the first amendment.
movielover
Trans activist Mulvaney wasn't supported by Bud Light after the controversy / ad.

""For a company to hire a trans person and then not publicly stand by them is worse, in my opinion, than not hiring a trans person at all. Because it gives customers permission to be as transphobic and hateful as they want," she said. "And the hate doesn't end with me. It has serious and grave consequences for the rest of our community." "
movielover
BearHunter said:

bearister said:

OMG. Is Tucker Carlson's Fox producer working with him now?

Rumors he has venture capital to start a new venture since Fox has gone Left.
Cal88
Shocking development: Macron hires Prigozhin and his Wagner army to sort out the riots in France!

okaydo
My stupid week:

On Wednesday, I saw online that Arby's is having a promotion this week. $5 for 5 roast beef sandwiches if you order through the app.

I usually only buy food on Saturdays.

And there's an Arby's less than 2 miles away that I've only been to like twice.

So to prepare, I downloaded the app. I entered my credit card. I got an error. I entered again. Another error. Again. Error. Kept trying different cards (Mastercard, Visa, American Express.) Error. Error. Error.

So I went to the website and tried to add a card. Error. Error. Error. Error. Oh, and can you try again in 24 hours.

I searched Twitter, and found that others were having this problem.

I went through Thursday trying to add my card. Error. Error. Error.

By this morning, I began to think it was a conspiracy to forbid people from signing up for the promotion.

Then, this evening, I tried it again. And it worked!

So I tried to see what would happen if I tried to use the promotion at my local Arby's.

I get a message: "We don't accept online orders."

I see if it's possible to go to another Arby's nearby.

Turns out, there are no nearby Arby's. They barely exist in Los Angeles. And the nearest one is like 10-15 miles away.

BearHunter
Cal88 said:

Shocking development: Macron hires Prigozhin and his Wagner army to sort out the riots in France!

Wagner Season 2?

Big C
movielover said:

Trans activist Mulvaney wasn't supported by Bud Light after the controversy / ad.

""For a company to hire a trans person and then not publicly stand by them is worse, in my opinion, than not hiring a trans person at all. Because it gives customers permission to be as transphobic and hateful as they want," she said. "And the hate doesn't end with me. It has serious and grave consequences for the rest of our community." "

I think most all of us can laugh at these corporate entities that, in an effort to alienate the least number of customers, actually waffle back and forth and alienate both sides.
Big C
BearHunter said:

Cal88 said:

Wagner Season 2?

I know a bunch of high school groups that are taking various tours of France right now. Parents of these students are probably sh*****g bricks. Good times.
movielover
Germany unsettled, too.

Scholz's popularity down 24% in a year: Poll

"German Chancellor Olaf Scholz loses a 24% confidence rate in a year, falling to a 33% approval rating according to a poll carried out by Forsa Institute for market and opinion research from December 15 to 22 and consisting of 4,003 people.

"The confidence in the German federal government fell by 22% within a year, the report revealed on Tuesday....

"...Surging costs of power linked to gas prices have already stunted the production of various industries, such as fertilizers and aluminum manufacturers, and prompted EU governments, such as Germany, to increase their spending by billions in order to help their citizens, however falling short of appeasing the population so far."

https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/scholzs-popularity-tanks-down-24-in-a-year:-poll
First Page Last Page
Page 209 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.